• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

what term do you prefer?

featured poll terminology

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: what term do you prefer? (141 member(s) have cast votes)

what term do you prefer?

1. immortality (13 votes [9.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.22%

2. (indefinite) life extension (37 votes [26.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.24%

3. (super/hyper) longevity (24 votes [17.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.02%

4. curing aging (16 votes [11.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.35%

5. rejuvenation (25 votes [17.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.73%

6. anti-aging (19 votes [13.48%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.48%

7. other (7 votes [4.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 01:28 PM

LongeCity started out as the Immortality Institute and adopted the 'operating as' name as a less contentious nomenclature. 

OUR mission remains "to conquer the blight of involuntary death"  a very broad ambition - but many people in this field are content to focus on aging instead. 

If you have at least some sympathy with one or the other (assuming that most visitors of this forum do), what term do you prefer when referencing/explaining the aspiration? 

[part of the featured poll series]

Notes:     

• feel free to add your preferred terms below. Apologies, there are countless permutations and the poll just lists some of the most common terms that came to mind.
  • the poll only allows for a single choice. You may have a more nuanced preference which you can describe below.
  • others can 'vote' on these using the agree/disagree (thumb_up.png / thumb.png) buttons; these don't alter reputation. 
  • some may not personally agree with any part of our mission; you are still welcome (at LongeCity and..) to vote if you find any of the terms useful descriptors   
  • to be clear, this is NOT a policy poll. We are not planning to change our 'branding' (although the results may inform some communications).     

Attached File  yongsheng.png   2.13KB   0 downloads

Edited by caliban, 17 August 2021 - 10:22 PM.
typos

#2 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 01:48 PM

inspired in part by another informal poll conducted by Max More

Outof around three dozen responses, “life extension” was the most popular choice. As expected, almost no one favored “immortality” with several people noting that it was not literally correct and probably impossible and also had distracting connotations. Several liked my suggested “chosen lifespan” or some other term emphasizing choice, such as “personal lifespan”. These have the benefit of conveying individual choice and putting the burden on those who oppose life extension for people other than themselves.

Other terms that got some explicit support: Indefinite lifespan/extension; Extended lifespan; Superlongevity; Hyperlongevity

Other terms that received an honorable mention:
Age reversal, curing aging, death free, ending aging, expanding lifespan, extended longevity, healthy life extension, immortality, indefinite health extension, life expansion, longer life, managed aging, optional aging, optional mortality, overcoming age-related decline, personal lifespan, rejuvenation, reversing aging.

→ source (external link)

#3 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 02:28 PM

"Curing ageing" because I think that the words "indefinite life" scare people even more. If we could first just focus on getting people to accept that ageing is a disease to be cured, that would help a lot. I do think that it is a case of one step at a time in terms of persuasion, though I have no background in such things and may be totally wrong.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 bobolander

• 44 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 01:13 AM

Life Extension sounds too much like Life Extension Foundation (LEF) - 

• Agree x 3
  • Disagree x 1

#5 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 August 2021 - 05:34 PM

I personally think its curing aging because I don't think humans are meant to have such an short life span (unnatural). We don't have any time to form enough experiences, learn, become wise etc. And by the time we're like 60-70 we're old and unhealthy and can't use our bodies anymore effectively with everything we've learned and know to put it into good use and progress. If you believe in reincarnation like I do then in that sense we're immortal but I dont think any living thing can live forever or want to. Even if you somehow could live up to 100k years I think the spirit (you) in your body would leave by itself as it wants to reincarnate as a new person for new growth as you have an spiritual limit per life. IMO not based on facts ofc. Some people deal with mental issues all their life and never overcome it into their death but had they more time then yes eventually. I think humans naturally should have longer life spans than any animal as we are a higher conscious as we leave the wild.

Edited by kurdishfella, 29 August 2021 - 05:41 PM.

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#6 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 04:59 PM

I personally think its curing aging because I don't think humans are meant to have such an short life span (unnatural). We don't have any time to form enough experiences, learn, become wise etc. And by the time we're like 60-70 we're old and unhealthy and can't use our bodies anymore effectively with everything we've learned and know to put it into good use and progress. If you believe in reincarnation like I do then in that sense we're immortal but I dont think any living thing can live forever or want to. Even if you somehow could live up to 100k years I think the spirit (you) in your body would leave by itself as it wants to reincarnate as a new person for new growth as you have an spiritual limit per life. IMO not based on facts ofc. Some people deal with mental issues all their life and never overcome it into their death but had they more time then yes eventually. I think humans naturally should have longer life spans than any animal as we are a higher conscious as we leave the wild.

Interesting view and whilst I don't agree and I'm agnostic about life after death, it is nice to see spiritual people support life extension. :)

#7 LongLiveTheNewFlesh

• 81 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 09:15 AM

If you didn’t take the poll then don’t read below SPOILER :

Lol, come on isn’t immortality more of a nice, clean, streamlined word then indefinite life extension? ( ahead in the polls so far ) I picked immortality because it’s just easy. If people are talking or writing about immortality everybody knows that word right off the bat. People might struggle a bit with indefinite life extension and the other words listed, but everyone knows ‘immortality’. It’s so glamorous, ha....just say it to yourself IMMORTALITY. It just feels right, doesn’t it? Im going to live forever, I’m going to be immortal. Yeah, it feels right! If

I want to have an indefinite life extension. Nah, something just doesn’t click here.
But
I want to be immortal. Yeah,it just works for me. See how simple and cool the word immortal/immortality is. Just the thought of immortality makes me hope I live long enough for the cure, and booster shots if needed.

See it just clicks with me (-; lol

Best
  • like x 1

#8 Zhev

• 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 08:30 AM

Life Enhancement !
  • Agree x 1

#9 kurt9

• 256 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 04:13 PM

Ammortality.

#10 Galaxyshock

• 1,438 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 05:51 AM

Lol, come on isn’t immortality more of a nice, clean, streamlined word then indefinite life extension?

In my opinion immortality promises more than what is realistic in the near future. Life extension is what will happen first and the term includes the possibility of eventual immortality. Not sure if I've understood something wrong about the poll though.

• Agree x 1

#11 JohnFurber

• Guest, Advisor
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 02:23 AM

I would certainly like to rejuvenate my body! If we become or stay young, then we would not succumb to the diseases associated with aging or senescence.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: featured poll, terminology

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users