New Slogan & Homepage Paragraph

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#61 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 07:55 AM

- These are our 3 closest relationships by far.

Depends on perspective.

• Lurker

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:14 AM

Harold,

Would you change the phrasing to include "infinite" rather than "indefinite"?

I'm very wary of that word. In the real world infinity is a mathematical abstraction. In the known universe every particle is known to decay. Mass and energy appears to be in a constant state of ebb and flow.

Ironically, life, and chains of nucleic acids in particular seem to have devised a solution against this by evolving a method whereby the information encoded in their sequence is allowed to perpetuate (now there's another word) by means of an ongoing template replication that generally transcends the survival of the system they are contained in.

I would strongly advise against use of the word infinite. However, the word "perpetual" is another story. Perpetual has use outside of mathematical abstractions and the supernatural. It also has a connotation of cyclical properties which is very much in keeping with what we observe in living systems.

• Lurker

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:24 AM

Depends on perspective.

AGIRI - Bruce (Director/founder)
SENS/MPrize - Kevin (ex-director/Advisor), Aubrey (Advisor), Dave (Full Member)

There are no other organisations that can boast such proximity with us.

#64 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:37 AM

Once we start taking sides, so to speek, other organizations may feel left out. Take for example the ongoing comparison between Alcor and CI to which Ben Best (CI Pres. and ImmInst Full Member) and Dr. Wowk (ImmInst Advisor) take part here at the Institute from time to time:
http://www.imminst.o...ST&f=61&t=10981
http://www.imminst.o...ST&f=61&t=11294

#65 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:48 AM

some of the banner stuff being discussed here I have encorporated into the latest prototypes of the banner in the banner thread.

#66 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:41 PM

Once we start taking sides, so to speek, other organizations may feel left out. Take for example the ongoing comparison between Alcor and CI to which Ben Best (CI Pres. and ImmInst Full Member) and Dr. Wowk (ImmInst Advisor) take part here at the Institute from time to time:

Don't forget our close relationships with UNI and BrainMeta... Okay, somebody shoot me...

Ironically, life, and chains of nucleic acids in particular seem to have devised a solution against this by evolving a method whereby the information encoded in their sequence is allowed to perpetuate (now there's another word) by means of an ongoing template replication that generally transcends the survival of the system they are contained in.

I would strongly advise against use of the word infinite. However, the word "perpetual" is another story. Perpetual has use outside of mathematical abstractions and the supernatural. It also has a connotation of cyclical properties which is very much in keeping with what we observe in living systems.

While I don't have a problem with infinite, I do admit to liking perpetual better than indefinite.

#67 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:51 PM

such as the MPrize, AGIRI, SENS

While highlighting other non-profits is generally important, I feel it's also important that we retain a more egalitarian approach in order to more successfully gain support from other orgs, such as LEF.org, Alcor, etc... for future projects. We do have an ImmInst Affiliates' page which may somehow be made more apparant from the homepage.

So provide a link to the affiliates page and be done with it. "Such as" implies others as well, and there are already links to the three, so find a non-goofy sounding way to provide a link to the affiliates page as well.

While we're on the subject, the affiliates page needs an overhaul. I can't make out most of those 60x70 avatars for the affiliates.

#68 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:58 PM

- Agreed on ImmInst, however if this statement is placed on the right hand column one tries to save space where one can.

Understand... however, the middle seems more balanced.

Well, I don't think it's so much for balance: it looks fine on the right, I suppose, especially if it were a bit shorter.

However, other than the byline and logo at the top, the page doesn't really allow us to provide a statement of who we are, and there's a hell of a lot of stuff on the front page to turn anyone away who simply wants to know in a nutshell who we are. Placing that text top center, with adequate padding left and right so it doesn't blend in, should draw attention to it and make sure first timers see it. It should be short enough that they actually will bother to read it.

Dave Gobel at the MPrize suggests that the first 40 words of an article need to convey the entire message, as this is the attention span of people who glance through magazine articles, etc. Not sure how applicable that advice is to the message on the home page, but I think it's a reasonable upper bound. Big words like "convergence", "technological", etc., might count double. Articles like "a" can probably be considered "free".

Anything more we want to say that can't fit in 40 words, we need to set up on a page for the mission statement, as well as DoP's or whatever on biotech, nanotech, AI, cryonics, transhumanism, and/or anything else we want to convey.

• Lurker

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:11 PM

However, other than the byline and logo at the top, the page doesn't really allow us to provide a statement of who we are, and there's a hell of a lot of stuff on the front page to turn anyone away who simply wants to know in a nutshell who we are.

Point. Let's try something different then. Supposing we had a monthly feature written by a member and was presented something like this:

http://www.imminst.org/neo

(in this case Michael Annisimov could probably author this one)

#70 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:40 PM

That looks awesome

#71 opales

• 892 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:16 PM

That looks awesome

it sure does

#72 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 07:10 PM

Here's a version w/ the current layout:

http://www.imminst.org/black.php

#73 opales

• 892 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 07:13 PM

Content aside, the neo version looks visually better. The new AI banner looks awesome and the DoP above it tones it down a bit in the current version.

I am actually starting to slide more and more to the neo side (I have been rather undecided), content wise...

Edited by opales, 07 July 2006 - 07:35 PM.

#74 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 07:21 PM

The neo page requires a wide view to see all content. The current layout seems more versatile in that, like the forum topics, it allows for a more narrow view of all content.

#75 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:10 PM

However, other than the byline and logo at the top, the page doesn't really allow us to provide a statement of who we are, and there's a hell of a lot of stuff on the front page to turn anyone away who simply wants to know in a nutshell who we are.

Point. Let's try something different then. Supposing we had a monthly feature written by a member and was presented something like this:

http://www.imminst.org/neo

(in this case Michael Annisimov could probably author this one)

If we had blog software installed, we could have a featured "blog post" of the month/week whatever like this.

#76 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:51 PM

Content aside, the neo version looks visually better. The new AI banner looks awesome and the DoP above it tones it down a bit in the current version.

I am actually starting to slide more and more to the neo side (I have been rather undecided), content wise...

I like both better than the current. Perpetual is better than Infinite...for laymen...but Life Without Limits is the "coolest" I've seen. And we can always change it...

#77 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 04:03 AM

I agree with opales that the http://www.imminst.org/neo is visually more striking than http://www.imminst.org.

I have them open in seperate windows and have been flicking from one to the other over the last few minutes.

Here is an idea that brings together some of the changes that both Prometheus and Bruce made.

1. The top banner that contains "Imminst.org" is increased in height. Currently the dark blue banner part is approximately 2.5cm (this doesn't include the light blue banner that contains the links Home, About, Forums and so on).

We may need to double its height to 5cm.

2. In the new resized banner include the statement/byline

"Life extension may seem far-fetched to many, but it's not a fantasy. Driven by a convergence of numerous technological advancements, including Biotechnology, Cryopreservation, Nanotechnology and Artificial Intelligence, progress in life extension has already started. To advance global awareness, the Immortality Institute hosts an online forum, publishes books, produces films and sponsors conferences."

in the right upper corner of the banner in "white myriad pro font"

3. Move the monthly spotlight banner directly underneith the top banner as seen in the neo version.

In regards to the design of the monthly banner......it's really well designed.

We could have a monthly comp where all members have the opportunity to put forward a banner. The prize is that they get their name credited to the design in the lower right corner

#78 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 06:48 AM

I just had a look at imminst.org/neo again. The smooth vectorized myriad font really lifts the look of the page to another level.

Is it possible to use the smooth vectorized font for the entire page? or is it only possible to embedd it into the banner?

#79 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 10:09 AM

When is this new/neo version going to be on the front page?

#80 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 05:41 PM

Adam,

A number of changes have been implemented as we've also carried some of these discussions to the Full Member forum. However, Basic Members are welcome to continue offering valued suggestions of course...

#81 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 10:11 PM

Is there any way you guys could generate reports about what's happening in the "Full Member" forum?

• Lurker

Posted 09 July 2006 - 10:51 PM

An easier way is to become a full member. Why haven't you joined yet? In the case of referenda only full member votes can count, and there are numerous additional fora brimming with esoterica..

#83 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 12:28 AM

Per an April 06 ImmInst Leadership vote, Adam is currently unable to become a Full Member.

• Lurker

Posted 10 July 2006 - 07:00 AM

Sorry Adam. I forgot..

#85 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:39 PM

It's cool, I understand a bit about politics myself.

Among my favorite politics quotes:

When asked to name the chief qualification a politician should have: "It's the ability to foretell what will happen tomorrow, next month, and next year --- and to explain afterward why it didn't happen."

--Sir Winston Churchill

How have I been doing, in retrospect?

#86 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 05:39 AM

Sorry Adam. I forgot..

How could you forget? Were you around last year when I was acting like a maniac, posting in HUGE size fonts, all caps, and personal attacks? It is understandable that the ImmInst leadership gave me some kind of probation. Otherwise, suppose I went crazy again...if I was a full member and they had to get rid of me, they would have to give me due process...which can drain the resources substantially...

Maybe ImmInst should still have an instant release button set up if I go crazy again...maybe a separate clause in the constitution?

Don't worry, I am not taking 40 mind altering compounds, so I'm not crazy or over reactive anymore. :)

• Lurker

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:56 AM

Actually, Adam, I was completely uninvolved with the noo fora until the LifeMirage situation. When you were banned I may have been an Advisor but did not participate in any associated motions. As Director I participated in a motion on whether to reinstate your membership with a "probationary" period of non-Full Membership so I should have remembered that - but I didn't. Be patient and it will all sort itself out sooner or later.

#88 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,050 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 07:04 PM

Immortality Institute - Advocacy and Research on the Attainment of Indefinite Lifespan

If we are going to have a new flashy homepage with striking graphics why have such a mundane byline. Sure it is technically correct but no one will ever remember it. It doesn't fit on a t-shirt or coffee mug or roll off the tongue. It is not the best suggestion from a marketing standpoint. To me it seems more like a mission statement than a "slogan".

#89 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,050 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 07:08 PM

Ok, here is a list of the slogans that have been suggested so far (in the order they were received):

for open-ended lifespans
For Extended Lifespans
For Infinite Lifespans
For unending life
For unending lives
Beating the shit out of aging
For life without limits
Life Without Limits
More Life
Join Us or Die
Immortality Institute - Advocacy and Research on the Attainment of Indefinite Lifespan
For Continuing Lifespans

Please make any additional suggestions very soon. We will be holding a full member vote on the slogan - whether to change or keep it the same (for infinite lifespans).

#90 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 July 2006 - 07:23 PM

for open-ended lifespans (in contention)
For Extended Lifespans (in contention)
For Infinite Lifespans (in contention)
For unending life (no)
For unending lives (no)
Beating the shit out of aging (absolutely not)
For life without limits (no, too ambiguous)
Life Without Limits (no, again, too ambiguous)
More Life (no)
Join Us or Die (funny, but absolutely not)
Immortality Institute - Advocacy and Research on the Attainment of Indefinite Lifespan (in contention, maybe a tad conservative, but this is offset by our very radical agenda)
For Continuing Lifespans (no, not feeling it)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users