Rising Life

Promoting Life

Continuance

Permanence

Living Longer

#122 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:03 PM

Slogans like Living Long and most others people are putting forth are adequate and stuff, but they lack a hook -- they are not memorable, clever, catchy, and so on. They are straight forward corporate slogans that invoke a yawn more than anything.

Maybe that's the best slogan for this place, since the idea of immortalism is on the fringe, and a yawner slogan helps pull it back to believability.

My proposed slogan, "Don't let aging kill you," is somewhat tongue in cheek, but also gets the point across. Another one: "Just live." This comes close to the "Just do it" slogan, or "Got milk?" Super short and to the point, and kind of memorable -- more so after it's been in place for a year (it always takes time for slogans to sink in, even "Just do it." "Just live" has a bit of a twist, because if you reverse the words, it becomes something else important: "Live just" (as in "live justly").

Anyway, just trying to stir the pot...

#123 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:05 PM

I like "Just Live". Good one.

In the same vein as "Got Milk", how about "Got Life?"

#124 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:23 PM

How about

"life is good, dying sucks"

As a T-shirt slogan ..

"life = good"

or

"Radical Life"

#125 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:26 PM

The ones suggested by duke and Mind are catchy, although it might be seen as kind of a copy of other brands if we do something that essentially copies them.

However, if we "piggyback" on the success of others, perhaps that would be a good thing overall to spread the meme.

Personally, I like the short ones better, they seem to be 1) Easier to remember and 2) More catchy.

I also like the ones that let you visualize through an adjective what we mean.

Like,
Experience Life.
Taste Life.
Feel Life.
Relish Life.
Desire Life.
etc...

Or "Living", or "Existence" or something could always be subbed for the word "Life"

#126 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:17 PM

I think there is a lot of good exchange of information here. There are at least two issues at hand:

1. Website slogan (ie in place of for infinite lifespans).
2. Advertising campaign slogan for college campuses, coffee houses, other places where folks might catch a look etc. (t-shirts, coffee mugs, flyers).

#127 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:19 PM

I agree..."just live" is way cool...Dukenukem lays it down once again. Kevin's ideas for promotional materials are top notch.

Do you think we could test drive "just live" for a week or two?

#128 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:24 PM

Do you think we could test drive "just live" for a week or two?

It's great for a t-shirt, not for the byline.

Conveying a sense of scientific credibility is what we should be gunning for.

#129 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:50 PM

Promotional poster

Posted Image

That ROCKS! I could print some of these out and distribute them around my school. We should come up with some more alternatives.

#130 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:51 PM

Don, I agree with you that we want the byline to have credibility with people who might be skeptical about the possibility of an open ended lifespan. What do you think we should go with?

I think "For open ended lifespans" would look good in place of "For infinite lifespans." We could keep it up for a while and change it if we don't like it, right?

#131 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:01 PM

I am in support of Harold's modified byline:

Advocacy & Research For Indefinite Lifespans

Yes I admit that it is geeky, but we need to come to terms with the fact that we are geeks.

Say it with me folks, "I am a member of the techno-geek community and, doggonit, people like me."

So we are all geeks, and the only way that we are going to get bigger and more influencial is to attract more geeks (and hopefully some rich and powerful geeks).

It is a complete misunderstanding to be engineering the memetics of this institute for Joe-6pack. And in this regard I completely disagree with Duke. He is 100% wrong about how ImmInst should be marketed. I've worked on marketing campaigns. I've been involved in search engineer optimization of web sites. "Hitting the home run" and addressing a massive demographic just doesn't work when you're a small start up. The more effective strategy is to be very targeted and pull in those who have some type of tentative link with our agenda (or product).

#132 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:25 PM

Here is the harder truth: most of the traffic that comes here is visitors coming to find information about supplements. A particularly alarming and saddening fact is that you can check the online list at any time and literally about 80-90% of forum visitors are guests and aren't even viewing a topic. They are stagnating on the front page of the forum "Viewing Board Index" and never even glance at a single topic. That is a REALLY bad sign. They probably come here through google looking for supplements, can't find what they want, then just leave.

We need a realistic front line message that makes sense based on currently available facts, not hype about technologies that don't even exist yet except in theory. We can express our enthusiasm for being the leader in advocating the future of such technologies, but depicting ourselves as depending on Dr. de Grey to do all the work makes us look lazy and complacent.

I think Duke is right: the forum is bloated with topics; so many that they can't even figure out what they want to see. Also they might think the place is one big geek hang out or so based on hype that they leave before making a thorough evaluation of the place. Come on, dude, face the facts: we don't have immortality yet. We don't even have a way to freeze bodies and re animate them later..so we're living in wonderland, okay?

A REAL geek would figure out how delusional we are and probably just leave the place.

People come here looking for supplements. You need the front page to reflect that. LEF is able to convert supplements into interest in the prospect of an open ended lifespan, why can't we?

Yes, establishing scientific credibility is of utmost importance; however, ignoring the fact that our largest chance to make an impact is through finding a connection to what draws people here (supplements) to radical life extension.

You should have ON THE FRONT PAGE a link to articles that tells us about a new supplement product that might extend lifespan, a nootropic that might augment cognition...and then offer a discount program for Full Members. Then we can persuade the average visitors to take a closer look at the possibility of a radically open ended lifespan through SENS, ImmInst's movie, literature, etc. Advertising ImmInst's support for SENS on the front page is an excellent idea...something like: xx.xx$$ donated thus far...and an article about SENS and Dr. de Grey. Also there is NO information about the benefits of joining as a full member on the front page...why not?

Edit by jaydfox: reduced width of image from 1380 pixels to under 900

Attached Thumbnails

• Clipboard02.jpg

Edited by jaydfox, 30 July 2006 - 12:04 AM.

#133 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:40 PM

I should have said "most" people come here looking for supplements. There is also a great and caring community that I think draws many people to join as well.

#134 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:58 PM

By the way, don't read too much into the number of guests in that list: if you are a logged-in user going through an anonymous relay, you'll only show up once in the list. But if you're just a guest, then every IP you come from will be shown as a different "guest".

For example, about 1/4th of all IPs that visit ImmInst comes from 72.30.*.*, so I'm guessing that's a relay of some sort.

#135 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 July 2006 - 12:02 AM

A lot of them are also spiders.

#136 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 12:19 AM

A lot of them are also spiders.

[:o] I'm afraid of spiders. [:o]

#137 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 July 2006 - 12:20 AM

Adam

Here is the harder truth: most of the traffic that comes here is visitors coming to find information about supplements.  A particularly alarming and saddening fact is that you can check the online list at any time and literally about 80-90% of forum visitors are guests and aren't even viewing a topic.  They are stagnating on the front page of the forum "Viewing Board Index" and never even glance at a single topic.  That is a REALLY bad sign.  They probably come here through google looking for supplements, can't find what they want, then just leave.

You're making a completely unsubstantiated conclusion. As I just said, a good number of the "guest" in the online list are spiders. I know this because I actually did an informal study of IPs to find out which IPs were google, msn, yahoo, etc. However, I do agree with you that the general layout and structure of the fora is difficult to navigate for someone who is a stranger to our site. This may prove unavoidable because of the nature of forum dialog. There are ways to address this problem, but really this has nothing to do with the byline.

We need a realistic front line message that makes sense based on currently available facts, not hype about technologies that don't even exist yet except in theory.  We can express our enthusiasm for being the leader in advocating the future of such technologies, but depicting ourselves as depending on Dr. de Grey to do all the work makes us look lazy and complacent.

What are you talking about Adam? What does this have to do with anything?

I think Duke is right: the forum is bloated with topics; so many that they can't even figure out what they want to see.  Also they might think the place is one big geek hang out or so based on hype that they leave before making a thorough evaluation of the place.  Come on, dude, face the facts: we don't have immortality yet.  We don't even have a way to freeze bodies and re animate them later..so we're living in wonderland, okay?

A REAL geek would figure out how delusional we are and probably just leave the place.

People come here looking for supplements.  You need the front page to reflect that.  LEF is able to convert supplements into interest in the prospect of an open ended lifespan, why can't we?

Yes, establishing scientific credibility is of utmost importance; however, ignoring the fact that our largest chance to make an impact is through finding a connection to what draws people here (supplements) to radical life extension.

You should have ON THE FRONT PAGE a link to articles that tells us about a new supplement product that might extend lifespan, a nootropic that might augment cognition...and then offer a discount program for Full Members. Then we can persuade the average visitors to take a closer look at the possibility of a radically open ended lifespan through SENS, ImmInst's movie, literature, etc.  Advertising ImmInst's support for SENS on the front page is an excellent idea...something like: xx.xx$$ donated thus far...and an article about SENS and Dr. de Grey.  Also there is NO information about the benefits of joining as a full member on the front page...why not?

Being a peddler of cheap powders is not on my agenda. Sorry. Supplementation and nootropics are a great, and there is certainly an enthusiasm for them within our community, but they are NOT the overarching theme of ImmInst.

It takes vision to understand what is possible. It takes vision to be revolutionary. Our goal is to present ourselves as a legitimate activist organization that can attract powerful minds with radical objectives.

When visitors stumble upon our site, either they are with the program, or they are not. We should never compromise the sophistication of our agenda for sheeple.

#138 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 12:25 AM

When visitors stumble upon our site, either they are with the program, or they are not. We should never compromise the sophistication of our agenda for sheeple.

indeed.

thats not to say we can't have a link to a supplement related feature on the front page

#139 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 12:29 AM

How am I to know about the spider rate? Don't get all pissy because I raise valid points, Don. Form a rebuttal based on evidence rather than attack me, please. We don't have any evidence to suggest we can live forever -- yet. We don't have ways to reanimate dead bodies That's my argument. Address the argument rather than re-directing...

I agree with Elrond:

thats not to say we can't have a link to a supplement related feature on the front page

I sell supplements for fun...

Edited by nootropikamil, 30 July 2006 - 01:00 AM.

#140 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 12:40 AM

don't get me wrong. I don't think supplements should at all be our focus. Supplements might buy you a few extra years at best.

Other interventions are not fantasy. They are in the developmental pipeline. Some of us are working on various SENS and non sens related strategies as we speak

however that doesn't mean we can't use the supplement section as a kind of hook, I think we should

#141 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 12:44 AM

what have you done to enhance the likelyhood that we can achieve our goals? Take some action rather than talk about it...please.

For one, Don is a big part of the reason this forum is as civil as it is. A decent portion of ImmInst's success is due to Don's vigilence as a navigator. He's only been a Director for a couple months now, and already he's starting to step up in pushing the board to get into gear.

#142 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 12:50 AM

Don is a friend of mine. I don't don't understand why he started talk about powders stuff and insult me in that manner. Geez, if I wanted to, I could sell capsules...I am trying to foster a teamwork environment, using everyone's inherent talents to help accelerate us to our goal quicker.

I take the powders I sell, and still don't find it cost effective to purchase pre encapsulated products....that's why I happen to sell the raw materials now.

#143 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 July 2006 - 12:50 AM

Adam

How am I to know about the spider rate?  Don't get all pissy because I raise valid points, Don.  Form a rebuttal based on evidence rather than attack me, please.  We don't have any evidence to suggest we can live forever.  That's my argument.  Address the argument rather than re-directing...

Pissy? Valid points? Rebuttal based on evidence?

Where's the "bash my head on wall" emoticon when I need it?

The issue is the byline. Focus. Supplementation has its place here at ImmInst, but it is not germane to the byline discussion.

We don't have any evidence to suggest that we can live forever.

[wis] My own opinion is that there is a serious chance of us all dying at some point this century (and that cryonics won't work). There are no guarantees if that is what you are getting at. What we are selling is an agenda. There is a possibility of radical life extension. The belief in this *possibility* of physical intervention is based on the utilization of a physicalist framework - and the further extrapolation that aging itself is a physical phenomenon which lends itself to engineering solutions.

Theories are inherently speculative and intuitive. Was it not Cricks who said something along the lines of "The great tragedy of science is when a beautiful hypothesis is killed by an ugly fact"? There is always the chance that there will be unforeseen complexities that we have not anticipated. So goes life.

Hence, the short and sweet response to your statement is simply this -- the "evidence" that life extension is possible is the same evidence that biological processes are physical processes.

#144 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 July 2006 - 12:57 AM

nootropic

Don is a friend of mine. I don't don't understand why he started talk about powders stuff and insult me in that manner.  Geez, if I wanted to, I could sell capsules...I am trying to foster a teamwork environment, using everyone's inherent talents to help accelerate us to our goal quicker. 

I take the powders I sell, and still don't find it cost effective to purchase pre encapsulated products....that's why I happen to sell the raw materials now.

For the record, nootropics are cheap powders. It's not slanderous to state a fact. How much can you buy a kilo of piracetam for anyway?

Adam, when I dialog I am a rather aggressive individual who has no problem strongly defending a position. You should acquiant yourself with Crockers Rules.

The byline is the issue here, everything else is irrelevant banter.

#145 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 12:57 AM

don't get me wrong.  I don't think supplements should at all be our focus.  Supplements might buy you a few extra years at best.

Other interventions are not fantasy.  They are in the developmental pipeline.  Some of us are working on various SENS and non sens related strategies as we speak

however that doesn't mean we can't use the supplement section as a kind of hook, I think we should

Is it possible that a supplement can extend your life in some kind of significant manner based on evidence? Not really. It appears a healthy diet and exercise is the easiest way to go...if you don't want to do CR.

An article from the front page can highlight this point. Am I suggesting to make the front page exclusively ads about supplements? Of course not. However, there could be a one or two quality articles...

A Full Member program that includes discounts on supplements would be the BEST way to draw interest in radical life extension and thus allow ImmInst to get the money it needs to achieve its ultimate goal faster than any other method I can think of..God, can I please get out of my house today?

#146 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 12:58 AM

Where's the "bash my head on wall" emoticon when I need it?

You're in the right forum, but start a new thread:
ImmInst Suggestions

#147 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 12:59 AM

nootropic

Don is a friend of mine. I don't don't understand why he started talk about powders stuff and insult me in that manner.  Geez, if I wanted to, I could sell capsules...I am trying to foster a teamwork environment, using everyone's inherent talents to help accelerate us to our goal quicker. 

For the record, nootropics are cheap powders. It's not slanderous to state a fact. How much can you buy a kilo of piracetam for anyway?

Adam, when I dialog I am a rather aggressive individual who has no problem strongly defending a position. You should acquiant yourself with Crockers Rules.

The byline is the issue here, everything else is irrelevant banter.

Okay, dude...I am really sensitive...I'll go edit out that comment.

#148 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 01:04 AM

I am out of here. I have literally spent a few hours typing here today. My summer break is almost over. Did I mention I love you guys? Peace.

#149 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 July 2006 - 01:05 AM

Love you too liver lips. :) Now go catch a movie or something. Life is to be lived.

#150 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 30 July 2006 - 01:09 AM

We don't have evidence that indefinite lifespans are possible but neither do we have a certainty that they are not. As Don says, we are selling an agenda, creating a *shared goal*.

This organization is not a one trick pony to noots and sups. Yes there is much we can accomplish together but Imminst has a larger set of objectives and noots and sups are only one part of the picture. In fact they are only particularly relevant when supported by exhaustive scientific study and when we all realize that they are a part of the larger picture with respect to the BIOLOGY of aging and good health.

We have a lot of evidence that the human lifespan can be improved upon, we have been doing so for the last few centuries with steady and demonstrable progress. How far can we push the initial success is a relevant question to ask but the issue is to not only ask but challenge the assumptions about the answers.

Now come on folks we have been generally pretty civil towards one another and now is not a good time to stop. There is more to be gained through a process of civil debate for the ideas than a personalization of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users