How many ‘Aging Theories’ are there?

immortality faq aging theories

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LongLiveTheNewFlesh

• 81 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 06:27 AM

Hello,

As you can see I’m a noob, heh. Lots of really, really smart people on here...maybe even a few geniuses, you never know.

But I’m doing research for a free internet Immortality FAQ, so I need to gather all the information I can.

So if you could make a list of ‘Aging Theories’ what would it look like? Please show me all the ‘Aging Theories’? It would be a great help for my Immortality FAQ. If there are a thousand or more ‘Aging Theories’ then just give me the main ones, the most popular ones. But if you want to list all thousand ‘Aging Theories’ please do.

Thank you all

#2 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 05:18 PM

The aging theories are so many, that your list will be very large. The problem to choose from them is mainly the to many scientific proofs, supporting each one of them.

Once I tried to make a list here, as a topic. If you want, you may use it in order to gather your theories:

https://www.longecit...s-of-the-aging/

I remember there was a Russian scientist, who had listed at arround 200 theries of agng in a scientific research.

New theories pop up periodically. From time to time flows out some forgotten theory. For example in this topic:

https://www.longecit...-the-abandoned/

post #4 I cited a book with a theory, that keeping your body fit, defeating the aging and staying alive as long as possible is by working. Working keeps mind and body fit, muscles strong, mind clear, etc. etc., not working leads to lying down for long periods, muscles atrophy, fatness, alcochol addiction etc., etc.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 rodentman

• 208 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 01:00 AM

One thing that makes this tricky is that multiple theories might be right, but they are just describing aging at different levels of cause/effect.

The idea that aging is caused by certain genes switching on and off over time might very well be true... BUT... 

this action may still be a symptom of a more 'upstream' process of programmed aging, where certain changes in factors that circulate through the body communicate to these genes to do the switching, and even this may have a 'more-upstream' cause,  like a 'master clock' somewhere in the body, perhaps in the hypothalamus, which is in charge of precisely regulating all the signals.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 LongLiveTheNewFlesh

• Topic Starter
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 07:54 PM

Wow, hey thanks. This is interesting stuff, great for my Immortality FAQ. I’m gathering a lot of data for it. The purpose of the FAQ is hopefully people will pass it around and interest in immortality will grow. Thanks everyone.

#5 sensei

• 929 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 06:13 PM

There are 2 main Theories of Ageing.

1. The MTORC1 driven theory of Ageing.

2. The oxidative damage (ROS) Theory of Ageing.

In rodents and non-human primates the MTORC1 theory of Ageing has been proven multiple times.

(rapamycin, fasting, etc)

Significant evidence for humans exists as well.

The ROS Theory of Ageing has fallen on hard times because antioxidants that don't otherwise affect the MTORC1 pathway have not shown efficacy with respect to anti-ageing in mammals.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 sensei

• 929 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 06:20 PM

One thing that makes this tricky is that multiple theories might be right, but they are just describing aging at different levels of cause/effect.

The idea that aging is caused by certain genes switching on and off over time might very well be true... BUT...
this action may still be a symptom of a more 'upstream' process of programmed aging, where certain changes in factors that circulate through the body communicate to these genes to do the switching, and even this may have a 'more-upstream' cause, like a 'master clock' somewhere in the body, perhaps in the hypothalamus, which is in charge of precisely regulating all the signals.

It's actually the issue of 1 switch being ON all the time (MTORC1)

It is now accepted science that chronic MTORC1 activation causes what we call ageing.

The citations are so numerous that you can Google "mtorc1 aging" and many many citations will pop up.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: immortality faq, aging theories

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users