- - - - -

Naltrexone 50 mg

naltrexone

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Galaxyshock

• 1,460 posts

Posted 03 October 2022 - 09:42 AM

I'm prescribed Naltrexone 50 mg tablets to prevent alcohol abuse. It works well for that - I feel a direct decrease in wanting to use alcohol and of course it blocks the euphoria from alcohol so I know it would be useless to drink.

What I find interesting is that Naltrexone seems to decrease fear. I assume this is from kappa opioid receptor blockade? I also sometimes get a bit dysphoric feeling when I go to sauna, and this is also reduced with Naltrexone. Sauna use releases dynorphin (endogenous KOR agonist) so kappa antagonism would make sense as the mechanism of action.

I've taken Naltrexone daily now for over a week, initially I think it lowered my mood a bit and caused some mild restlessness, but now I'd say it might actually be improving my mood and even reducing anhedonia. Could this be from upregulation of endorphin production? Of course part of these positive effects I experience could be from quitting drinking, but I haven't had such effects before when I've gone weeks without using alcohol.

Naltrexone is interesting and seems to be well-tolerated med. People have had positive results with low-dose Naltrexone for different uses, but does anyone here have experience with higher dose? Is there something I should be concerned about when taking it daily? I'm planning to use it at least for a month daily and then perhaps reduce to as needed (to decrease drinking).

• Informative x 2

#2 Galaxyshock

• Topic Starter
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 07 October 2022 - 05:24 AM

I looked a bit more into Naltrexone. It appears to increase cortisol which usually is not a good thing. Maybe I should add a cortisol reducing supplement such as Ashwagandha and/or Phosphatidylserine. Increase in beta-endorphin might explain the paradoxal mood improvement I experience.

Dosesof naltrexone of 25 to 150 mg/day have been found to produce significant increases in levels of β-endorphin, cortisol, and LH, equivocal changes in levels of prolactin and testosterone, and no significant changes in levels of adrenocorticotrophic hormone (ACTH) or follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH).[4]

→ source (external link)

Naltrexone seems to show efficacy against various addictions, not only to substances like alcohol, opioids and amphetamines, but also to things like gambling, kleptomania and problematic sexual behaviors.

I've read a few anecdotes that Naltrexone made them feel really bad so I probably would start with a low dose if one is interested to try it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 07 October 2022 - 11:17 AM

I've read a few anecdotes that Naltrexone made them feel really bad so I probably would start with a low dose if one is interested to try it.

Take LDN for years successfully against a ME/CFS symptom (excessive sleeping need). Recently and accidentally took a 50mg tablet, and immetiately got very nauseated for a few hours.

#4 Galaxyshock

• Topic Starter
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 08 October 2022 - 07:06 AM

Take LDN for years successfully against a ME/CFS symptom (excessive sleeping need). Recently and accidentally took a 50mg tablet, and immetiately got very nauseated for a few hours.

Yeah nausea seems to be a common side effect of Naltrexone at higher dosage. Taking it with food may decrease that side effect.

Looks like Naltrexone is NOT effective for smoking cessation: https://www.cochrane...03086.pub3/full

I don't smoke but usually chew a few Nicotine gums during the day and it seems the effects of Nicotine aren't really changed by Naltrexone.

#5 Galaxyshock

• Topic Starter
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 03 June 2023 - 07:48 AM

I haven't taken Naltrexone lately. I have this corncern in mind. Since Naltrexone also blocks the effects of opioid pain medications, what if I get into an accident and I'm given pain meds but they won't work because of Naltrexone? It's very unlikely to happen but still, is this irrational or valid concern?

#6 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 02:33 PM

When I researched Naltrexone for alcoholism I was really surprised by scientific uses of LDN. LDN seems like to be some sort of effective nootropic with a very wide range of uses, unfortunately I have never been able to try Naltrexone but LDN is very interesting.

#7 Galaxyshock

• Topic Starter
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 07:08 AM

When I researched Naltrexone for alcoholism I was really surprised by scientific uses of LDN. LDN seems like to be some sort of effective nootropic with a very wide range of uses, unfortunately I have never been able to try Naltrexone but LDN is very interesting.

It is interesting. Unfortunately I don't think I can break those 50 mg tablets to small enough equal-sized pieces to take something like 5 mg a day as LDN.

#8 rikelme

• 174 posts

Posted 08 July 2023 - 08:55 PM

It is interesting. Unfortunately I don't think I can break those 50 mg tablets to small enough equal-sized pieces to take something like 5 mg a day as LDN.

Just dissolve it in 50ml water. This leads to 5mg/ml.

Keep it in the fridge. There will be some sediments. Stir it, and and take 1ml at desired time. You can use dropper for that.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 Galaxyshock

• Topic Starter
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 18 July 2023 - 02:32 PM

Just dissolve it in 50ml water. This leads to 5mg/ml.

Keep it in the fridge. There will be some sediments. Stir it, and and take 1ml at desired time. You can use dropper for that.

Thanks I'll have to try that. I actually have a 1ml dropper.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: naltrexone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users