Photo

Genome Dieting - trimming the "unnecessary fat" off the genome

anti-aging genome modification antiquated processes gene reduction gene therapy

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 LifeGoesOn

• 6 posts

Posted 07 January 2023 - 10:13 PM

We have evolved to a state in which so many of the processes our body's seek to keep at homeostasis are largely antiquated in the sense that we no longer need them. Our bodies evolved in a state where, like most other organisms, energy was of the essence. We clearly live at a time where this is the opposite. We dont need to store extra calories for later, in it's simplest sense, for example. This is one obvious and quick example of a process does our body more harm than good, in my opinion. There are other examples. I actually want to start a list of these processes. Can you add some please?

On to it's relevance to aging. These extra, largely unnecessary today, processes such as the above, require lots of space in the genome and provide, at minimum, more genetic information to be mutated or otherwise go haywire. "Thinning" the genome, "cutting the fat" that is these unnecessary antiquated processes would, imo, make for virtually any anti-aging process to "have to do less work". This applies in a lot more ways than just this, as I am sure you have thought of, are thinking of, or could think of. What other ways might a "lean" genome help us to slow, prevent, or reverse aging?

Antiquated, or at least arguable, imo, processes:

energy conservation

temperature regulation?

fat/caloric salvage/etc?

thymus?

what else?

(Can't we just make a synthetic genetic circuit to handle more than just ONE or a few biochemical need(s) at a time? :-P)

(Can we "move" more of the processes that we control consciously to our subconscious / said snobbishly: "that's for the lower parts of the brain to do")

Furthermore, as a side note, imo I will say instead of having to use references, the less the brain has to do, the more of it there is to do other things. Cognitive cosmetics, nootropics, etc - another one of my extreme interests with (along with a gene therapy or two) which I have experimented on myself for. I am sure I am not the exception to this rule. But that is for another thread/post, I suppose. PS if you are interested in this topic - I recommend this article: Cliques of Neurons Bound into Cavities Provide a Missing Link between Structure and Function 2017.

***I type more than 100 wpm, but I am still not used to typing so much and my hands' pay the price lol do we already have like a group talk session or the like, where I can use my words instead of typing? Cause, not that it is necessarily desired or wanted, I have alot more where this and my previous thread came from. I hope I can still be considered humble here. Thank again for reading and I apologize for my likely less-than-canonical manner, method and content of "speaking". Food for thought. Thanks for reading. Cheers!

A thousand thank you's for reading and especially replying! :-D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anti-aging genome modification antiquated processes gene reduction, gene therapy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users