Omega-3 fish got rid of my depression and brainfog but caused anxiet6y

omega-3

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DmxDex

• 1 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 May 2023 - 11:01 AM

So i have been suffering with fatigue, depression and brainfog for years.

I also have sleep apnea, the machine itself hasnt helped much, but i stick with it, and have optimised my therapy to give me consistency.

I decided to buy some Omega-3 fish oil, which is Carlson Elite Omega-3 EPA 800 DHA 600

I would say 4 or 5 days in i noticed that my cognition and think was clearer and sharper and i was mentally more alert and awake. I noticed that my depression had gone, although i seem very very happy.

Sadly i have experienced two side effects which are Anxiety, and insomnia. Any ideas on how to combat this as i would really like to make Omega-3 work.

I take no other supplements, i only drink 1 morning coffee at about half 6 in the morning.

Not sure if this is relevant, but iubuprofen causes me anxiety and panic attacks, as i know EPA is a anti immflammatory, i was wondering if EPA maybe the cause?

Would trying pure DHA be worth a go?

• unsure x 1

#2 Galaxyshock

• 1,466 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 09:09 AM

Try lowering the dose? Pure DHA is indeed another option to try. Perhaps some herbal sedative could help with the anxiety and insomnia if you feel you want to stick to supplementing Omega-3 despite those side effects.

Edited by Galaxyshock, 02 June 2023 - 09:10 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 09 July 2023 - 07:17 AM

afaik EPA is the good one in this context. DHA is mostly for childhood development. You want a supplement with at least a 2:1 EPA to DHA ratio.

Serum docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) is inversely associated with anxiety disorders in early pregnancy
2015 Mar
https://pubmed.ncbi....h.gov/25591045/

EPA is More Effective than DHA to Improve Depression-Like Behavior, Glia Cell Dysfunction and Hippcampal Apoptosis Signaling in a Chronic Stress-Induced Rat Model of Depression
2020 Mar
https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC7084382/

Compared to DHA, EPA could improve CUMS-induced suppressive astrocyte biomarkers and associated BDNF-TrkB signaling. Moreover, EPA was more effective than DHA to attenuate CUMS-induced higher hippocampal NGF, GDNF, NF-κB, p38, p75, and bax expressions, but reversed bcl-2 reduction. This study for the first time revealed the mechanisms by which EPA was more powerful than DHA in anti-inflammation, normalizing astrocyte and neurotrophin function and regulating NF-κB, p38 and apoptosis signaling. These findings reveal the different mechanisms of EPA and DHA in clinical depression treatment.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: omega-3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users