- - - - -

Resveratrol extends lifespan in mice and health

• Please log in to reply
281 replies to this topic

#1 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:58 PM

==added by Bruce Klein

[img]http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:o_pZfS-8ZF6yZM:http://www.resveratrol.org.uk/resveratrol.gif[/img]
Update: see ImmInst Advisor, Michael Rae's "Resveratrol: Still High-Risk Gambling" for a flip side to recent positive articles.

==end

News source

NewsTrack - Science
Resveratrol test produces good results
BOSTON, Nov. 1 (UPI) -- U.S. researchers say feeding middle-aged mice a high-calorie diet with a compound found in red wine improves their health and extends their lifespan.

David Sinclair and colleagues at the Harvard Medical School supplemented the mice diet with the compound resveratrol, a small molecule that has been shown to extend the lifespan of various animals.

That treatment shifted the animals' physiology towards that of mice fed a standard diet; they lived longer than mice on the same high-fat diet without resveratrol, and although they didn't lose any weight, their quality of life also improved.

The researchers said resveratrol-treated mice had healthier livers and better motor coordination.

Sinclair says resveratrol seems to counter various health risks associated with a high-fat diet, but without skimping on the calories. When scaled up, the doses used in the mouse study should be feasible for human consumption, but he said it's not yet clear whether the molecule will yield similar effects in people.

The study appears online in the journal Nature and will be published in print at a later date.

#2 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:03 PM

Similar news:

From Forbes

Compound in Red Wine Boosts Health of Obese Mice
11.01.06, 12:00 AM ET

WEDNESDAY, Nov. 1 (HealthDay News) -- In another study that suggests red wine may be good for your health, researchers found that old, obese mice that were fed a high-fat diet plus the compound resveratrol were healthier and lived longer than their counterparts that didn't get resveratrol.

Resveratrol is a naturally occurring compound found in red wine, grapes and nuts. Other studies have found that resveratrol can extend life in yeast, worms, fruit flies and fish. It appears to be associated with anti-aging and preventing the effects of diseases of aging, such as diabetes, cancer and dementia.

"Resveratrol extends the lifespan of every species we have fed it to," said lead researcher David Sinclair, an associate professor of pathology at Harvard Medical School. "We are now showing that this is also possible for mice on a high-fat diet," he added.

The study findings are published in the Nov. 2 issue of Nature.

The researchers found that, among the overweight mice, resveratrol reduced the negative impact of being obese. When the mice were 60 weeks old, those mice receiving resveratrol showed a three- to four-month increase in survival, compared to mice not receiving the compound.

By 114 weeks, when the mice reached old age, more than half of the animals on a high-fat diet alone had died, compared to less than one-third of those receiving resveratrol.

"The goal is to turn this knowledge into drugs that would treat diseases of aging, like diabetes, heart disease and Alzheimer's," Sinclair said. "It's hard to know how far we can go with this technology. We are in new territory. We have never had a molecule that can achieve these effects in such diverse animals."

Resveratrol works by activating an enzyme called SIRT-1, which is found in all life forms and appears to control aging, Sinclair said. "It's triggering ancient pathways that counter diseases and aging," he said.

In addition, resveratrol stabilizes blood sugar and other effects of obesity. Sinclair speculated that a drug could be developed that would protect against diabetes, cancer, Alzheimer's and heart disease.

But, Sinclair noted, the results of these studies are preliminary. "I don't recommend that people go out and just take products that claim to have resveratrol in them," he said.

Co-researcher Rafael de Cabo, an investigator at the U.S. National Institute on Aging, cautioned, "This is only a mouse study. We have to repeat it.

"The data is amazing," he added. "But every time you open a door in research, we find a thousand new doors, so there are a lot of questions still to be answered."

There are currently two human trials testing the value of resveratrol. One, at the University of California, includes patients with colon cancer. The other one, sponsored by Sirtris Pharmaceuticals, includes diabetes patients. Sinclair is one of the founders of Sirtris.

"We have taken an improved form of resveratrol into a human diabetes trial," said Sirtris CEO Dr. Christoph Westphal. The trial is testing whether the new drug is safe and whether it will control blood sugar. The researchers expect to have results in late 2007, Westphal said, adding, it will be at least four to five years before resveratrol drugs might be available.

One expert thinks that while the results of this study are impressive, there's a long way to go before resveratrol is proven safe and effective.

"As provocative as these findings are, it is not yet time to start popping resveratrol supplements, or rely on the compound as an alternative to healthful eating, physical activity, or attempts at weight control," said Dr. David L. Katz, an associate professor of public health and director of the Prevention Research Center at Yale University School of Medicine.

Time and again, promising findings in test tubes and mice have failed to translate into human benefit, Katz said. "The list of such disappointments includes almost every nutrient that has at one time or another captivated the public's imagination, including, over recent years, beta carotene, vitamin C, and vitamin E."

This research should make on-going study of resveratrol a priority, Katz said. "While hoping that the promise of benefit without harm is fulfilled in people, I would advise against leaping to that conclusion until the evidence comes in," he said.

More information

Oregon State University can tell you more about resveratrol.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:08 PM

Here is a link to the Linus Pauling Institute's page on resveratrol (worth a look).

Also, you might note a potential conflict of interest:

[quote name='http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20061101-120721-5399r']David Sinclair and colleagues at the Harvard Medical School supplemented the mice diet with the compound resveratrol, a small molecule that has been shown to extend the lifespan of various animals.[/quote]

[quote name='http://www.forbes.com/forbeslife/health/feeds/hscout/2006/11/01/hscout535859.html']"Resveratrol extends the lifespan of every species we have fed it to," said lead researcher David Sinclair, an associate professor of pathology at Harvard Medical School. "We are now showing that this is also possible for mice on a high-fat diet," he added.
There are currently two human trials testing the value of resveratrol. One, at the University of California, includes patients with colon cancer. The other one, sponsored by Sirtris Pharmaceuticals, includes diabetes patients. Sinclair is one of the founders of Sirtris.[/quote]

Edited by nootropikamil, 01 November 2006 - 07:18 PM.

#4 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:29 PM

does it make the study any less valid? Unless they skewed the results and lied.

#5 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:46 PM

No, I'm not necessarily saying the results are skewed. But it's the same type of stuff people tell me about a conflict of interest selling supplements meanwhile advocating their use. If one has a vested financial or other type of interest in a particular scientific finding., there is always the possibility that one can set up a conscious or unconscious bias leading to more favorable results than otherwise would result.

More than 50% of all research findings are false -- and I am sure conflict of interest is a factor:

This full text is available here FREE

Why Most Published Research Findings Are False

Why Most Published Research Findings Are False
John P. A. Ioannidis

Summary
There is increasing concern that most current published research findings are false. The probability that a research claim is true may depend on study power and bias, the number of other studies on the same question, and, importantly, the ratio of true to no relationships among the relationships probed in each scientific field. In this framework, a research finding is less likely to be true when the studies conducted in a field are smaller; when effect sizes are smaller; when there is a greater number and lesser preselection of tested relationships; where there is greater flexibility in designs, definitions, outcomes, and analytical modes; when there is greater financial and other interest and prejudice; and when more teams are involved in a scientific field in chase of statistical significance. Simulations show that for most study designs and settings, it is more likely for a research claim to be false than true. Moreover, for many current scientific fields, claimed research findings may often be simply accurate measures of the prevailing bias. In this essay, I discuss the implications of these problems for the conduct and interpretation of research.

John P. A. Ioannidis is in the Department of Hygiene and Epidemiology, University of Ioannina School of Medicine, Ioannina, Greece, and Institute for Clinical Research and Health Policy Studies, Department of Medicine, Tufts-New England Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America. E-mail: jioannid@cc.uoi.gr

Competing Interests: The author has declared that no competing interests exist.

Published: August 30, 2005

DOI: 10.1371/journal.pmed.0020124

Check the wikipedia page

However, there is a huge difference between lying about a conflict of interest and disclosing it.

#6 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 06:13 PM

[thumb] Why fake the data? This is easily replicated. If you assume that the study exaggerated the effects by a factor of 2 due to bias, and it works as well in humans as yeast, flies, fish and mice, then Resveratrol is still the most beneficial supplement ever documented by a large factor. IMO this is the supplement to take. Safety at levels I can afford are well known. I have been taking .5 mg/kg for about 2 1/2 years and increased that to 1 mg/kg a few months ago. I plan on increasing that to 3mg/kg. Dr. Sinclair is now taking 5mg/kg (NYT). I don't know if it is working for me and it may be 10 years before I notice a difference. I can say that my pre/post supplementation HDL went from 43 to 87, my triglycerides from 105 to 65 and my blood pressure is now 100/60 (age 45).

#7 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 06:32 PM

It's also important to understand that Dr. Sinclair is not trying to sell a supplement. A company that he owns a stake in is going through long term testing to get FDA approval for a drug that reduces the usual diseases associated with ageing. The drug he is going to send to the FDA is not Resveratrol but a drug that acts on the Sirt1 gene in a more effective way then natural, unpatentable Resveratrol.

#8 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:44 PM

No, Dr. Sinclair is part owner of a drug company. I'm pointing out a potential conflict of interest; I'm not saying it's a factor in these findings.

#9 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:41 AM

One impact of his involvement in a drug company hoping to reap benefits from his research is that he will not disclose the source of the resveratrol he currently takes for himself. His investors want to make a return on their investment, and plugging the competition is not a good way to do that.

Bummer for me, since I'd like his input on which vendor has a good source of resveratrol. I wonder if it's Longivinex. I wish the NY Times reporter had dug a bit deeper.

Stephen

#10 opales

• 892 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 11:19 AM

[thumb] Why fake the data? This is easily replicated. If you assume that the study exaggerated the effects by a factor of 2 due to bias, and it works as well in humans as yeast, flies, fish and mice, then Resveratrol is still the most beneficial supplement ever documented by a large factor. IMO this is the supplement to take. Safety at levels I can afford are well known. I have been taking .5 mg/kg for about 2 1/2 years and increased that to 1 mg/kg a few months ago. I plan on increasing that to 3mg/kg. Dr. Sinclair is now taking 5mg/kg (NYT).  I don't know if it is working for me and it may be 10 years before I notice a difference. I can say that my pre/post supplementation HDL went from 43 to 87, my triglycerides from 105 to 65 and my blood pressure is now 100/60 (age 45).

May I ask which specific resveratrol supplements you take to achieve such a high dose?

Were there other changes in your regime, i.e. do you attribute the above changes to solely reseveratrol or probably some other things too? I understood reseveratrol did not btw affect cholesterol in the mice study.

#11 raptor

• 18 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 06:32 PM

Bummer for me, since I'd like his input on which vendor has a good source of resveratrol. I wonder if it's Longivinex. I wish the NY Times reporter had dug a bit deeper.

Stephen

Indeed, I'm looking for a reliable source of pharmaceutical (99.9% pure) trans-resveratrol.

#12 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:30 AM

I am taking Longevinex at 4-6 pills a day now. They are claiming 35-40 mg of trans-resveratrol per pill (http://www.resveratrolnews.com/). I hope they are correct or I'm dumping a wad of cash for naught. I weigh 79 kg. If you buy Longevinex from Purity Products in bulk you can get it for $21.39. Was Resveratrol the cause for my better blood markers? I don't know. I was not taking any supplements other than vitamins when my earlier test was taken (about 10 yrs ago). I have been taking Juvenon for about 3 or 4 years so maybe that has helped. I started fish oil about a year ago. Not much supplementation compared to other on the boards. I exercise about 50% more since my first test so that must be a factor. I wish I had done a blood test just prior to taking Resveratrol. My weight hasn't changed in 25 years.

I understood reseveratrol did not btw affect cholesterol in the mice study.

I also heard that cholesterol and weight stayed high in the mice study. I have not heard what the mice HDL/LDL ratio's were. This is interesting because my total cholesterol went way up from my first test. First test: HDL 43 LDL 73 total cholesterol 137. Latest test: HDL 87 LDL 120 total cholesterol 222. The LDL phenotype was type A with a large particle diameter (272.4 A). My Apolipoprotein B/A ratio was 0.5. These are both indications of a very low risk factor for coronary heart disease. These two factors were not tested in my first blood test. I will do a full blood work up again in 11 months and I'll post the results if anyone cares or remembers. ;)

#13 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:01 PM

I think it is always good to point out potential conflicts of interest. It is a factor in some research. It can create bias.

From what I have read, it seems there is a lot more positive research about resveratrol than negative. Does anyone know of any risks associated with its use (in humans or animals)?

#14 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:32 PM

Here is some data on safety from the Linus Pauling Institute web site. (http://lpi.oregonsta...ls/resveratrol/)

Adverse Effects

Resveratrol is not known to be toxic or cause adverse effects in humans, but there have been few controlled clinical trials. In rats, daily oral administration of trans-resveratrol at doses up to 300 mg/kg of body weight for 4 weeks resulted in no apparent adverse effects (81, 82).

Pregnancy and Lactation

The safety of resveratrol-containing supplements during pregnancy and lactation has not been established (80). Since no safe level of alcohol consumption has been established at any stage of pregnancy (83), pregnant women should avoid consuming wine as a source of resveratrol.

Estrogen-sensitive Cancers

Until more is known about the estrogenic activity of resveratrol in humans, women with a history of estrogen-sensitive cancers, such as breast, ovarian and uterine cancers, should avoid resveratrol supplements (see Estrogenic and Anti-estrogenic Activities above).

Drug Interactions

Anticoagulant and Antiplatelet Drugs

Resveratrol has been found to inhibit human platelet aggregation in vitro (42, 84). Theoretically, high intakes of resveratrol (e.g., from supplements) could increase the risk of bleeding when taken with anticoagulant drugs, such as warfarin (Coumadin), and antiplatelet drugs, such as clopidogrel (Plavix), dipyridamole (Persantine), non-steroidal anti-inflamatory drugs (NSAIDs), aspirin and others.

Drugs Metabolized by Cytochrome P450 3A4

Resveratrol has been reported to inhibit the activity of cytochrome P450 3A4 (CYP3A4) in vitro (85, 86). Although this interaction has not been reported in humans, high intakes of resveratrol (e.g., from supplements) could theoretically increase the bioavailability and the risk of toxicity of drugs that undergo extensive first-pass metabolism by CYP3A4. Drugs known to be metabolized by CYP3A4 include but are not limited to HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors (atorvastatin, lovastatin and simvastatin), calcium channel antagonists (felodipine, nicardipine, nifedipine, nisoldipine, nitrendipine, nimodipine and verapamil), anti-arrhythmic agents (amiodarone), HIV protease inhibitors (saquinivir), immunosuppressants (cyclosporine and tacrolimus), antihistamines (terfenadine), benzodiazepines (midazolam and triazolam), and drugs used to treat erectile dysfunction (sildenafil).

#15 Mind

• 19,042 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:16 PM

Zoolander made this post in another thread..

Thanks Zoolander

Trends Neurosci. 2006 Sep 23;

Neurohormetic phytochemicals: low-dose toxins that induce adaptive neuronal stress responses.

* Mattson MP,
        * Cheng A.

Laboratory of Neurosciences, National Institute on Aging Intramural Research Program, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA.

Diets rich in vegetables and fruits are associated with reduced risk of several major diseases, including neurodegenerative disorders. Although some beneficial phytochemicals might function solely as antioxidants, it is becoming clear that many of the beneficial chemicals in vegetables and fruits evolved as toxins (to dissuade insects and other predators) that, at subtoxic doses, activate adaptive cellular stress-response pathways in a variety of cells including neurons. Examples of such 'preconditioning' or 'neurohormesis' pathways include those involving cell-survival signaling kinases, the transcription factors NRF2 and CREB, and histone deacetylases of the sirtuin family. In these ways, neurohormetic phytochemicals such as resveratrol, sulforaphanes and curcumin might protect neurons against injury and disease by stimulating the production of antioxidant enzymes, neurotrophic factors, protein chaperones and other proteins that help cells to withstand stress. Thus, as we discuss in this review, highly conserved longevity and survival pathways in neurons are the targets of many phytochemicals.

PMID: 17000014 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

For those of you who cannot get access to the full paper (join up) here are the main phytonutrients mentioned:

1. Resveratrol
2. Sulforaphane
3. Curcumin
4. Catechins
5. Allicin
6. Hypercin

Maybe the controlled studies involving megadoses of vitamins failed to show positive results because some of them are toxic in high amounts. They may even cause problems, as has been suggested by some research and posted by a couple of members here.

I thought I would post it here again since it still seems relevant. If resveratrol stimulates protective stress response in cells, then I would think large doses might not be too beneficial. This is a fairly new supplement, so I would say the jury is still out on what the "right" dose is. It sure looks like a beneficial supplement - considering the positive results in mice.

#16 opales

• 892 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:27 AM

Note that in the mice study they used two doses, 5mg/kg/day and 24mg/kg/day, of which the latter was more effective. So the optimum is at least higher than 5mg/kg/day for mice. Considering metabolic conversion from to mice to men (Paul Wakfer pointed this out at sci.life-extension), the latter equals to around 200mg/day for normal weight man (70kg).

#17 opales

• 892 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:33 AM

David Sinclair explains his new results in Charlie Rose. About 15 min interview, calorie restriction is also discussed. Now that it's on TV, I am sure the demand for resveratrol will jump through the roof.

http://tinyurl.com/ydfaav

The program also have interviews for Andy Grove (Intel founder and former CEO) and Jack Welch (former legendary CEO of GE), recommended anyone interested in business.

#18 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:36 PM

Here is the Nytimes article:

News source

November 2, 2006

Yes, Red Wine Holds Answer. Check Dosage.

By NICHOLAS WADE

Can you have your cake and eat it? Is there a free lunch after all, red wine included? Researchers at the Harvard Medical School and the National Institute on Aging report that a natural substance found in red wine, known as resveratrol, offsets the bad effects of a high-calorie diet in mice and significantly extends their lifespan.

Their report, published electronically yesterday in Nature, implies that very large daily doses of resveratrol could offset the unhealthy, high-calorie diet thought to underlie the rising toll of obesity in the United States and elsewhere, if people respond to the drug as mice do.

Resveratrol is found in the skin of grapes and in red wine and is conjectured to be a partial explanation for the French paradox, the puzzling fact that people in France enjoy a high-fat diet yet suffer less heart disease than Americans.

The researchers fed one group of mice a diet in which 60 percent of calories came from fat. The diet started when the mice, all males, were a year old, which is middle-aged in mouse terms. As expected, the mice soon developed signs of impending diabetes, with grossly enlarged livers, and started to die much sooner than mice fed a standard diet.

Another group of mice was fed the identical high-fat diet but with a large daily dose of resveratrol (far larger than a human could get from drinking wine). The resveratrol did not stop them from putting on weight and growing as tubby as the other fat-eating mice. But it averted the high levels of glucose and insulin in the bloodstream, which are warning signs of diabetes, and it kept the mice’s livers at normal size.

Even more striking, the substance sharply extended the mice’s lifetimes. Those fed resveratrol along with the high- fat diet died many months later than the mice on high fat alone, and at the same rate as mice on a standard healthy diet. They had all the pleasures of gluttony but paid none of the price.

Scientists have long known that a moderate intake of alcohol, and red wine in particular, is associated with a lowered risk of heart disease and other benefits. More recently, scientists began to suspect resveratrol had particularly powerful effects and began investigating its role in lifespan.

The researchers, led by David Sinclair and Joseph Baur at the Harvard Medical School and by Rafael de Cabo at the National Institute on Aging, also tried to estimate the effect of resveratrol on the mice’s physical quality of life. They gauged how well the mice could walk along a rotating rod before falling off, a test of their motor skills. The mice on resveratrol did better as they grew older, ending up with much the same staying power on the rod as mice fed a normal diet.

The researchers hope their findings will have relevance to people too. Their study shows, they conclude, that orally taken drugs “at doses achievable in humans can safely reduce many of the negative consequences of excess caloric intake, with an overall improvement in health and survival.”

Several experts said that people wondering if they should take resveratrol should wait until more results were in, particularly from safety tests in humans. Another caution is that the theory about why resveratrol works is still unproved.

“It’s a pretty exciting area, but these are early days,” said Dr. Ronald Kahn, president of the Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston.

Information about resveratrol’s effects on human metabolism should be available a year or so, Dr. Kahn said, adding, “Have another glass of pinot noir — that’s as far as I’d take it right now.”

The mice were fed a hefty dose of resveratrol, 24 milligrams per kilogram of body weight. Red wine has about 1.5 to 3 milligrams of resveratrol per liter, so a 150-lb person would need to drink 750 to 1,500 bottles of red wine a day to get such a dose.

Dr. Richard Hodes, director of the National Institute on Aging, which helped support the study, also said that people should wait for the results of safety testing. Substances that are safe and beneficial in small doses, like vitamins, sometimes prove to be harmful when taken in high doses, Dr. Hodes said.

One person who is not following this prudent advice, however, is Dr. Sinclair, the chief author of the study. He has long been taking resveratrol, though at a dose of only five milligrams per kilogram. Mice given that amount in a second feeding trial have shown similar, but less pronounced, results as those on the 24-milligram-a-day dose, he said.

Dr. Sinclair has had a physician check his metabolism, because many resveratrol preparations contain possibly hazardous impurities, but so far no ill effects have come to light. His wife, his parents, and “half my lab” are also taking resveratrol, he said.

Dr. Sinclair declined to name his source of resveratrol. Many companies sell the substance, along with claims that rivals’ preparations are inactive. One such company, Longevinex, sells an extract of red wine and knotweed that contains an unspecified amount of resveratrol. But each capsule is equivalent to “5 to 15 5-ounce glasses of the best red wine,” the company’s Web site asserts.

Dr. Sinclair is the founder of a company, Sirtris Pharmaceuticals, that has developed several chemicals intended to mimic the role of resveratrol but at much lower doses. Sirtris has begun clinical trials of one of these compounds, an improved version of resveratrol, with the aim of seeing if it helps control glucose levels in people with diabetes.

“We believe you cannot reach therapeutic levels in man with ordinary resveratrol,” said Dr. Christoph Westphal, the company’s chief executive.

Behind the resveratrol test is a considerable degree of scientific theory, some of it well established and some yet to be proved. Dr. Sinclair’s initial interest in resveratrol had nothing to do with red wine. It derived from work by Leonard Guarente of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, who in 1995 found a gene that controlled the longevity of yeast, a single-celled fungus.

Dr. Guarente and Dr. Sinclair, who had come from Australia to work as a postdoctoral student in Dr. Guarente’s laboratory, discovered the mechanism by which the gene makes yeast cells live longer. The gene is known as Sir-2 in yeast, sir standing for silent information regulator, and its equivalent in mice and humans is called SIRT-1.

Dr. Guarente then found that the gene’s protein needed a common metabolite to activate it, and he developed the theory that the gene, by sensing the level of metabolic activity, mediates a phenomenon of great interest to researchers in aging, the greater life span caused by caloric restriction.

Researchers have known since 1935 that mice fed a calorically restricted diet — one with all necessary vitamins and nutrients but 40 percent fewer calories — live up to 50 percent longer than mice on ordinary diets.

This low-calorie-provoked increase in longevity occurs in many organisms and seems to be an ancient survival strategy. When food is plentiful, live in the fast lane and breed prolifically. When famine strikes, switch resources to body maintenance and live longer so as to ride out the famine.

Most people find it impossible to keep to a diet with 40 percent fewer calories than usual. So if caloric restriction really does make people as well as mice live longer — which is plausible but not yet proved — it would be desirable to have some drug that activated the SIRT-1 gene’s protein, tricking it into thinking that days of famine lay ahead.

In 2003 Dr. Sinclair, by then in his own laboratory, devised a way to test a large number of chemicals for their ability to mimic caloric restriction in people by activating SIRT-1. The champion was resveratrol, already well known for its possible health benefits.

Critics point out that resveratrol is a powerful chemical that acts in many different ways in cells. The new experiment, they say, does not prove that resveratrol negated the effects of a high-calorie diet by activating SIRT-1. Indeed, they are not convinced that resveratrol activates SIRT-1 at all.

“It hasn’t really been clearly shown, the way a biochemist would want to see it, that resveratrol can activate sirtuin,” said Matt Kaeberlein, a former student of Dr. Guarente’s who does research at the University of Washington in Seattle. Sirtuin is the protein produced by the SIRT-1 gene.

Dr. Sinclair said experiments at Sirtris had essentially wrapped up this point. But they have not yet been published, so under the rules of scientific debate he cannot use them to support his position. In his Nature article he therefore has to concede that “Whether resveratrol acts directly or indirectly through Sir-2 in vivo is currently a subject of debate.”

Given that caloric restriction forces a trade-off between fertility and lifespan, resveratrol might be expected to reduce fertility in mice. Dr. Sinclair said he saw no such infertility in his experiment, but he said that might be because the mice were not on a low-calorie diet.

If resveratrol does act by prodding the sirtuins into action, then there will be much interest in the new class of sirtuin activators now being tested by Sirtris. Dr. Westphal, the company’s chief executive, has no practical interest in the longevity-promoting effects of sirtuins and caloric restriction.

For the Food and Drug Administration, if for no one else, aging is not a disease and death is not an end-point. The F.D.A. will approve only drugs that treat diseases in measurable ways, so Dr. Westphal hopes to show that his sirtuin activators will improve the indicators of specific diseases, starting with diabetes.

“We think that if we can harness the benefits of caloric restriction, we wouldn’t simply have ways of making people live longer, but an entirely new therapeutic strategy to address the diseases of aging,” Dr. Guarente said.

Home
World U.S. N.Y. / Region Business Technology Science Health Sports Opinion Arts Style Travel Job Market Real Estate Automobiles Back to Top
Copyright 2006 The New York Times Company

#19 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:32 PM

Anyone know David Sinclair? He said that he's been taking resveratrol for three years -- I'd love to know how much?

I think he said that you'd need to take the equal of 100 glasses of wine daily. Anyone else catch that? That's pretty dang high. And, does the dose need to be spread out (I would think so)?

#20 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:01 PM

I want thank Opelas for his link to Sci-life.extention board. Some very good info and discussion going on there about Sinclair's study. I was too cheap to buy the report for $30 so here are some excerpts taken from Sinclair's paper taken form the boards. Some comments are from Paul Wakfer (thanks Paul).

I have now received the full text of the nature paper courtesy of a
member of the Yahoo group MoreLife and so can report that according to
the following introductory text, my statement above may not be true
after all.

"Cohorts of
middle-aged (one-year-old) male C57BL/6NIA mice were provided
with either a standard diet (SD) or an otherwise equivalent highcalorie
diet (60% of calories from fat, HC) for the remainder of their
lives. To each of the diets, we added resveratrol at two concentrations
that provided an average of 5.260.1 and 22.460.4 mg kg21 day21,
which are feasible daily doses for humans. After 6 months of treatment,
there was a clear trend towards increased survival and insulin
sensitivity. Because the effects were more prominent in the higher
dose (22.460.4 mg kg21 day21, HCR), we initially focused our
resources on this group and present the results of those analyses
herein. Analyses of the other groups will be presented at a later
date."

Although nothing more was mentioned in the reported results about any
other cohorts of mice, the about appears to me as if the experiment
(not yet compete) is actually running 6 different cohorts of mice in
parallel:

1. SD
2. SD + 5 mg/kg resveratrol
3. SD + 22 mg/kg resveratrol
4. HC
5. HC + 5 mg/kg resveratrol
6. HC + 22 mg/kg resveratrol

The current Nature report only contains data and comparisons of groups
1. 4, and 6 (referred to in the paper as (SD, HC, and HCR
respectively).

The diet is described as:

"Briefly, one-year-old male C57BL/6NIA mice were maintained on AIN-93G
standard diet (SD), AIN-93G modified to provide 60% of  calories from
fat (HC),
or HC diet with the addition of 0.04% resveratrol (HCR)."

And weight differences between HC and HCR were at most a very mild
factor:

"Mice on the HC diet steadily gained weight until ,75 weeks of age,
after which average weight slowly declined (Fig. 1a). Although mice
on the HCR diet were slightly lighter than the HC mice during the
initial months, there was no significant weight difference between the
groups from 18-24months, when most of our analyses were performed.
There was also no difference in body temperature (Table 1),
food consumption (Supplementary Fig. 1a, b), total faecal output or
lipid content (Supplementary Fig. 1c, d), or post-mortem body fat
distribution (Supplementary Fig. 2)."

I do not have the supplementary information, but here is the whole of
Table 1 edited and formatted a little:

Table 1 | Effects of a high-fat diet and resveratrol on various
biomarkers in plasma
Parameter.............................SD...................HC...................
....HCR...........Fed
or Fasted
Free fatty acids (mequiv.)......0.27 (0.04) .....0.59 (0.06)
..........0.53 (0.03) Fed
...............................................0.83 (0.10) .....0.45
(0.20)......... 0.54 (0.05) Fasted
Triglycerides (mg/d).............. 76.6 (6.8)....... 81.4
(6.6)............ 88.2 (10.8) Fasted
Cholesterol (mg/dl)................135 (7)............183
(20)............... 204 (16)... Fasted
Insulin (ng/ml)........................1.77 (0.64) ......9.21
(1.95).......... 2.46 (0.47) Fed
..............................................0.73 (0.14)....... 2.70
(0.36).......... 1.06 (0.30) Fasted
Glucose (mg/dl).................. 129.0 (5.4) ......118.3
(4.7)........... 114.8 (6.3) Fed
...............................................94.5 (3.3)....... 125.3
(11.6) .........85.6 (10.3) Fasted
IGF-I (ng/ml)......................... 346 (40) ..........534
(12).............. 482 (21)... Fed
................................................625 (33).......... 999
(102)............ 929 (81)... Fasted
IGFBP-1 (AU)........................ 1.0 (0.3).......... 1.7
(0.3)............... 1.7 (1.0) Fed
................................................1.0 (0.2).......... 0.5
(0.3)............... 0.3 (0.1){ Fasted
IGFBP-2 (AU)........................ 1.0 (0.2)............0.7
(0.04)............ 0.9 (0.1) Fasted
Leptin (ng/ml)........................ 2.0 (1.1).......... 21.6
(7.2)........... 11.6 (6.5) Fasted
Adiponectin (mg/ml).............. 12.1 (1.6)......... 9.5
(0.5)............. 9.0 (0.8) Fed
Amylase (U/l) .......................2,060 (150)..... 2,960
(320)........ 2,190 (230) Fasted
Ala aminotransferase (U/l).... 347 (119)......... 390 (61).............
446 (88) Fasted
Asp aminotransferase (U/l).... 448 (85).......... 425 (90).............
512 (46) Fasted
Creatine phosphokinase (U/l) 4,260 (1820). 2,010 (810)......... 2,520
(680) Fasted
Lactate dehydrogenase (U/l) 1,530 (240)... 1,610 (170).......... 2,020
(180) Fasted
Alkaline phosphatase (U/l)...... 43.8 (3.4)........44.6
(6.0)............ 34.2 (1.4) Fasted
Bilirubin (mg/dl)....................... 0.16 (0.02)..... 0.10
(0.03)......... 0.16 (0.02) Fasted
Albumin (g/dl)...........................2.78 (0.16)..... 2.88
(0.19)......... 2.66 (0.14) Fasted
Creatinine (mg/dl)................... 0.54 (0.02)...... 0.48
(0.04)......... 0.46 (0.04) Fasted
Cyclo-oxygenase (liver, AU/mg) 1.00 (0.14).... 0.80 (0.11).........
0.83 (0.11) Fed
Citrate synthase (liver, AU/mg) 141 (14) ..........128
(21).............. 138 (11)....Fed
Body temperature (uC)............34.71 (0.14)..... 35.52 (0.17)......
35.57 (0.15).. Fed

Once again however, the text of the paper suggests that Sinclair et al
are not after life extension per se but instead only in health
extension and reduced mortality for those who are either too stupid or
too lazy to eat a healthy diet.

"The number of overweight individuals worldwide has reached 2.1
billion, leading to an explosion of obesity-related health problems
associated with increased morbidity and mortality1,2. Although the
association of obesity with increased risk of cardiovascular disease
and diabetes is well known, it is often under-appreciated that the
risks
of other age-related diseases, such as cancer and inflammatory
disorders,
are also increased."

"On the basis of the unprecedented ability of resveratrol to improve
health and extend lifespan in simple organisms, we have asked
whether it has similar effects in mice. We hypothesized that
resveratrol
might shift the physiology of mice on a high-calorie diet towards
that of mice on a standard diet and provide the associated health
benefits without the mice having to reduce calorie intake."

"Discussion
The ability of resveratrol to prevent the deleterious effects of excess
caloric intake and modulate known longevity pathways suggests that
resveratrol and molecules with similar properties might be valuable
tools in the search for key regulators of energy balance, health and
longevity. As a case in point, the most highly upregulated gene in the
HC group and second most highly downregulated gene in the HCR
group was Cidea, which regulates energy balance in brown fat and
provides resistance to obesity and diabetes when knocked out43.
Taken together, the findings in this study show that resveratrol
shifts the physiology of mice consuming excess calories towards that
of mice on a standard diet, modulates known longevity pathways,
and improves health, as indicated by a variety of measures including
survival, motor function, insulin sensitivity, organ pathology, PGC-
1a activity, and mitochondrial number. Notably, all these changes
occurred without a significant reduction in body weight. Whether
these effects are due to resveratrol working primarily through SIRT1,
which is the case for simpler metazoans, or through a combination
of interactions, as predicted by the xenohormesis hypothesis6,44,
remains to be determined. In either case, this study shows that an
orally available small molecule at doses achievable in humans can
safely reduce many of the negative consequences of excess caloric
intake, with an overall improvement in health and survival."

#21 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:06 PM

Anyone know David Sinclair? He said that he's been taking resveratrol for three years -- I'd love to know how much?

Yes. It's in the above posted NYT article.

Dr. Richard Hodes, director of the National Institute on Aging, which helped support the study, also said that people should wait for the results of safety testing. Substances that are safe and beneficial in small doses, like vitamins, sometimes prove to be harmful when taken in high doses, Dr. Hodes said.

One person who is not following this prudent advice, however, is Dr. Sinclair, the chief author of the study. He has long been taking resveratrol, though at a dose of only five milligrams per kilogram. Mice given that amount in a second feeding trial have shown similar, but less pronounced, results as those on the 24-milligram-a-day dose, he said.

#22 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:11 PM

Some more great stuff ripped from the Sci.life-extension boards. Thanks Arbor.

I was curious about the source of the resveratrol given to the mice, as
it might be also the source used by Longevinex (?), whether it was
given in the food or as gavage, stability etc.  Here is the part of the
Supplementary Information linked to the online version of the paper
related to your question and the resveratrol source.

Arbor

http://www.nature.co...ure05354-s1.doc
Supplemental Methods
Animals and diets.
Male C57BL/6NIA mice at 11 months of age were purchased from the
National Institute on Ageing Aged Rodent Colony.  The mice were
maintained on a standard purified mouse diet (AIN-93G) for one month
prior to the start of the experiment.  The groups presented in this
study were fed the standard AIN-93G diet or AIN-93G plus 0.04%
resveratrol ad libitum for an additional six weeks while high-calorie
diets were prepared.  Animals on AIN-93G either continued on the
standard diet (SD), or were switched to high-calorie AIN-93G (modified
by the addition of hydrogenated coconut oil to provide 60% of calories
from fat, HC), and the group receiving AIN-93G plus 0.04% resveratrol,
was switched to the high-calorie diet plus 0.04% resveratrol (HCR).
Coconut oil was chosen to avoid high levels of dietary cholesterol
associated with animal fats such as lard and because it is solid at
room temperature so that a large quantity can be added to the food
pellets without much change in the consistency. This helps prevent
overgrowth of the teeth, which can happen with high fat paste-like
diets over an extended period.  For the PGC-1a experiments, mice at a
similar age were fed the HC diet or HC plus resveratrol at a
concentration that delivered ~ 186 mg/kg/day for six weeks.
Resveratrol (> 98%) was purchased from Orchid Pharmaceuticals
(Aurangabad, India) and mixed to homogeneity during manufacturing of
the diets (Dyets Inc., Bethlehem, PA).  Chow was never permitted to
exceed 50°C and was kept away from light whenever possible to ensure
the stability of resveratrol (the light/dark cycle in the mouse
facility was not altered).  Stock resveratrol and all chow were stored
in the dark at -80°C or 4°C respectively, and food was provided in
cages for no more than 1 week. Every 3-4 months the stability of
resveratrol in the stored food was assessed using either HPLC and/or
the Fluor-de-Lys SIRT1 assay (Biomol, Plymouth Meeting, PA)."
The mice were maintained on a 12 hour light/dark cycle and maintained
between 68 -72°F according to animal protocols and NIH guidelines.
Food intake and body weight were measured on a weekly basis for the
duration of the study.  Survival curves were plotted using the
Kaplan-Meier method, which includes all available animals at each time
point.  Statistical analyses were performed using JMP IN (SAS, Cary,
NC).  The criteria for euthanasia were based on an independent
assessment by a veterinarian according to AAALAC guidelines and only
cases where the condition of the animal was considered incompatible
with continued survival are represented in the curves.  The SD group
initially contained 60 mice.  Of the 34 mice that have died in this
group, 13 were sacrificed for experiments and censored, 14 were found
dead and counted, 6 were euthanized and counted, and 1 was euthanized
for a tooth root abscess and censored.  The HC group started with 55
mice.  Of the 40 mice that have died, 13 were sacrificed for
experiments and censored, 18 were found dead and counted, 8 were
euthanized and counted, and 1 was euthanized for ulcerative dermatitis
and censored.  The HCR group began with 55 mice.  Of the 36 mice that
have died in this group, 15 were experimental and censored, 3 deaths
were accidental (cage flooding) and censored, 7 were found dead and
counted, 8 were euthanized and counted, and 3 were euthanized and
censored (2 for ulcerative dermatitis and 1 for an inner ear infection).

#23 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:08 AM

So, if my math is right, Sinclair is taking about 350mg a day (assuming he weights about 70kg. That's a lot more than my 90mg/day. I wonder how he spreads out this amount...surely not all at once?

If people do not see the benefits of resveratrol now -- have fun waiting the 10-15 years before the medically community catches a clue. Sinclair, who's been knee-deep in this research for a decade, probably slyly knows exactly what he's doing in taking this supplement. He can't yet say it's good for everyone, but his actions speak loudest. I am so glad I jumped on the resveratrol bandwagon two years ago -- that's two years I did not waste.

#24 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 01:49 AM

I am so glad I jumped on the resveratrol bandwagon two years ago -- that's two years I did not waste.

Amen to that Brother. I've been taking Resveratrol for over two years and I feel more than ever it was the right decision. On other boards is been estimated Dr. Sinclair is taking the equivalent of about 420mg/day. I just spread it out over the day as best I can. In 14 minutes it is no longer detected in the blood so spreading out the dose over the day seems the way to go. BTW dukenuken, I loved your game. Whens Duke coming back? Here is some news about how Resveratrol is selling.

Until last week, not too many people had come around Cash Grocer Natural Foods in Alexandria asking for resveratrol.

"It was not something you carry a lot of," store proprietor Peggy Kleysteuber said. She had two bottles in stock.

Then on Wednesday came news of a study co-authored by researchers from Harvard University and the National Institutes of Health that found resveratrol, a substance found in red wine, extended the life and improved the health of middle-aged, overweight mice.

Never mind that the mice consumed far more resveratrol than any humans could imbibe with their wine, even on a cabernet bender -- about 300 times more. Or that there's no evidence so far that resveratrol in supplements extends human life.

Soon Cash Grocer had sold the resveratrol it had, and the phone was ringing with requests. The store couldn't get more from its distributors, who were also inundated with orders, and started a waiting list.

Red wine has long been seen as a factor in the "French paradox," a reference to the uniquely Gallic ability to stay healthy despite a diet rich in brie, pâté and the fruits of the vine. (One resveratrol supplement is actually named "French Parad'ox.")

Resveratrol supplements have been on the market for 30 years, said Mark Becker, spokesman for Los Angeles-based Jarrow Formulas, one of several natural supplement makers that sells resveratrol. It was never a big seller, he said, more of an unglamorous staple like vitamin C.

Jarrow is used to spikes in demand for specific products, like the one provoked last year by a story in Women's World magazine touting coconut oil as a weight-loss aid. Resveratrol, he said, is just another fad.

"I give it a month," he said.

-- Annys Shin

#25 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 05:39 AM

Interesting background info from the ever informative Nicolas Wade of the NYT.

November 7, 2006
Aging Drugs: Hardest Test Is Still Ahead
By NICHOLAS WADE
A new class of drugs is looming on the horizon that could, if they live up to their promise, avert heart disease, diabetes, cancer and neurodegenerative disorders. By suppressing the common killers of age, the drugs, sirtuin activators, could significantly prolong both health and lifespan.

But is the promise a mirage or a serious possibility?

The drugs are designed to mimic the effects of caloric restriction, a low calorie but healthful diet known to make laboratory mice live longer and more healthily but is too hard for all but the most ascetic of humans to keep to. One such drug, resveratrol, also a very minor ingredient of red wine, hit the headlines last week with a report by David Sinclair of Harvard Medical School and colleagues that it negates the bad effects of a high-fat diet in mice.

Behind the proposed new drugs lies some 15 years of research, much of it by Leonard Guarente of M.I.T. and a talented but fractious group of former students, several of whom have presumed to challenge aspects of his ideas. The research has now reached a point at which at least two companies, Elixir Pharmaceuticals and Sirtris, are trying to develop drugs based in whole or in part on its implications.

But success is by no means guaranteed, for several reasons. Caloric restriction has not been proved to improve health or prolong life in people; even if it does, the effect could be much smaller than the 30 percent of extra life and health enjoyed by laboratory mice.

Nor is it clear that the genetic mechanism that Dr. Guarente believes is responsible for the effects of caloric restriction, a group of genes known as the SIRT family, is the only one involved. Some biologists suspect that drugs like resveratrol may act not through the SIRT genes but in some other way, which would mean the results reported last week give no support to the idea that the SIRT genes mediate the response to caloric restriction.

Finally, the benefits of caloric restriction are assumed to have evolved as a strategy for switching resources between reproduction and tissue maintenance. Such a mechanism would greatly help an organism ride out successive waves of feast and famine. That would explain why mice on caloric restriction generally become infertile.

So it is somewhat puzzling that the fat mice fed resveratrol by Dr. Sinclair showed no decline in fertility. Nor have a group of female rhesus monkeys who have been eating a reduced-calorie diet since 1987, scientists at the National Institute on Aging reported recently. If there’s no trade-off between longevity and fertility, the theory of the evolution of caloric restriction could be wrong or incomplete.

The road to the discovery of the first SIRT-type gene began in 1991 when two graduate students at M.I.T. asked Dr. Guarente if they could join his laboratory to study the process of aging. They were Brian Kennedy, now at the University of Washington, and Nicanor Austriaco, now a Dominican priest who teaches biology and theology at Providence College in Rhode Island.

Aging had long been a difficult and unpromising field for biologists, but Dr. Guarente said his students could have a year to search for genes that might affect aging in yeast. In the event, they took four years just to find a strain of yeast that lived longer than others. A gene called sir-2, for silent information regulator-2, turned out to be responsible for this longevity effect.

The lab was then joined by David Sinclair, a young postdoctoral student from the University of New South Wales in Australia, who figured out the unusual mechanism by which sir-2 repressed aging in yeast. Dr. Guarente then found that the gene is activated by a common chemical that reflects the level of metabolism in a cell. He proposed that sir-2 and its counterpart genes in animals were the mediators of caloric restriction: the genes sense when the body is running low on nutrients and direct a wide range of metabolic adjustments, from preserving tissues to burning off fat reserves.

Meanwhile a certain amount of tension was developing between Dr. Guarente and Dr. Sinclair, who in 1999 started his own laboratory at Harvard Medical School. Dr. Sinclair published a report that caloric restriction worked through a quite different mechanism in yeast than the one Dr. Guarente had identified. The rivalry was not just scientific. Dr. Guarente, with Dr. Cynthia Kenyon of the University of California, San Francisco, had founded Elixir Pharmaceuticals to develop drugs for greater health and lifespan. Dr. Sinclair started a rival company, Sirtris, to pursue similar goals.

“This has run me through so many emotions, some of which I didn’t know I had,” Dr. Guarente told Science magazine in 2004 in an article about the falling out between him and his former student.

But continuing research has brought about a realignment of forces. Dr. Guarente and Dr. Sinclair have reconciled, saying their disagreements were technical and never personal. Each of their proposed mechanisms is correct, they say, and yeast uses both to respond to caloric restriction.

They have found a common cause in disputing a challenge raised by two other former students of Dr. Guarente, Brian Kennedy and Matt Kaeberlein, who argue that yeast longevity via caloric restriction does not operate through sir-2 at all.

These disagreements about the mechanism of caloric restriction are confined to yeast, but may portend future disputes in the far more complex systems of mice and men. Both species possess a gene called SIRT1, which is the counterpart to the sir-2 gene. But they have also evolved six extra SIRT genes, known as SIRTs 2 to 7, which seem to perform related tasks. The protein enzymes made by the genes are known as sirtuins, a word biologists have derived, with a simplicity likely to make etymologists wince, from sir-2.

To figure out the role of the seven SIRT genes, both Dr. Guarente and Dr. Sinclair have engineered two sets of genetically altered mice. For each SIRT gene, one strain lacks the gene entirely and another makes extra amounts of the gene’s product. The knockout mice, by their deficiencies, should show what the lost gene does. And its effects will be larger in the overexpressor mice.

Dr. Guarente believes that the full suite of seven genes is deployed in response to the stress of caloric restriction. Researchers used to think that the response to caloric restriction was a passive affair, with the organism living longer because it created fewer damaging byproducts of metabolism. This is incorrect in Dr. Guarente’s view.

Rather, the seven SIRTs take specific actions to protect the body against insult, including against common diseases of aging. This prompts the hope that approvable drugs could be developed to trigger one or more SIRTs into the actions that ward off specific diseases. The SIRTs intervene in the body’s metabolism in intricate ways that are only beginning to be understood. Mice that overexpress SIRT1 show eight properties of caloric restriction, including low cholesterol and low glucose and insulin blood levels, Dr. Guarente said in a recent talk at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine.

As for the other SIRT genes, SIRT2 is mostly expressed in the brain, Dr. Guarente said in an interview last month. Its role there is unknown because the SIRT2 knockout mouse appears normal. SIRT genes 3, 4 and 5 are active in the mitochondria, the energy-producing organelles that are part of every cell. They may “vindicate the school of thought that mitochondria are important in aging,” Dr. Guarente said. SIRT6 is active in the nucleus of the cell and SIRT7 in the nucleolus, a compartment of the nucleus reserved for the assembly of ribosomes, the cell’s protein-making machines.

A special property of the SIRT1 gene is to increase the number of mitochondria produced by neurons, Jill Milne of Sirtris reported at a recent meeting on the molecular genetics of aging. With extra energy, brain cells may be better able to ward off neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s. The sirtuins could also improve memory, a fact often on the mind of Dr. Sinclair, who has been taking resveratrol for three years.

One day last month, he and a reporter spent five minutes searching a Harvard Medical School parking lot for a grimy green Honda Accord. Dr. Sinclair had forgotten where he had parked his car. “So much for resveratrol improving memory,” he grumbled.

The car retrieved, he drove to Sirtris’s headquarters in Cambridge, where he shares an office with Christoph Westphal, the company’s chief executive. Dr. Westphal disagrees with his colleague that taking resveratrol is a good idea, saying a therapeutic dose cannot be maintained in the bloodstream. He politely conceded Dr. Sinclair’s position that a lower dose might be effective over the long term.

Sirtris has developed a modified form of resveratrol, called SRT501, that reaches high levels in the bloodstream. It is now being tested in people for safety and its ability to control glucose levels. Dr. Westphal plans to gauge the drug’s use in treating diabetes and a rare form of dementia caused by defective mitochondria. Sirtris has also developed several other chemicals that activate sirtuins at doses one-thousandth that of resveratrol. The F.D.A. will approve them, if safe and effective, only to treat specific diseases, but it could be inferred that the drugs might thereby extend lifespan. “We believe this is a new therapeutic modality,” Dr. Westphal said. “We think it can change medical care.”

Sirtris has raised $82 million so far. It has a heavyweight group of biotech entrepreneurs on its board and well-known M.I.T. researchers, like Philip Sharp and Robert Langer, on its scientific advisory board. Still, these luminaries could be backing the wrong horse. Across town, that is the view at Sirtris’s rival, Elixir Pharmaceuticals.

Elixir has chosen to emphasize leads developed from Dr. Kenyon’s work on a different set of genes that affect aging, rather than on the sirtuin work of Dr. Guarente. “We think the sirtuins are extraordinarily interesting but just don’t yet have the proof that these enzymes will be useful in metabolic disease,” said William Heiden, Elixir’s chief executive.

“It’s a proven artifact that resveratrol activates sirtuins,” said Peter DiStefano, Elixir’s chief scientific officer, referring to Dr. Sinclair’s 2003 search for such chemicals.

Both Elixir executives argue that the biology of the seven SIRT genes needs to be better worked out before it is worth trying to develop drugs based on them. In their view, it is not even clear if the sirtuins should be activated or inhibited for best effect. Indeed, Elixir has developed several chemicals that inhibit SIRT1’s sirtuin.

This has brought about the odd circumstance that Sirtris is trying to activate SIRT1 and Elixir to inhibit it. Can both companies possibly be right? Dr. Guarente’s consulting agreement with Elixir has expired, and he welcomes the interest that Sirtris is now taking in his work. Both activation and inhibition of SIRT1 could be useful, he says judiciously, if during caloric restriction the gene’s activity goes up in some tissues and down in others.

The body’s metabolism is governed by such a complex array of genetic circuits that it will be years before the role of the seven SIRTs is fully understood. But if they really embody an ancient mechanism for fortifying the body against disease, then all that is needed is a safe drug that tricks the SIRT genes into thinking feast is famine. The theory is enticing, even if sirtuins and certainty still lie far apart.

Expect a rush of off label prescriptions for SRT501 much like Modafinil.

#26 Mind

• 19,042 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:44 AM

I asked Dr. Sinclair about his resveratrol dosage and this is what he replied:

I take 4 pills of longevinex with bfast and 4 at dinner, but I don't
recommend anyone else take any resveratrol pills until we know more.

#27 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:10 AM

The Longevinex is not cheap. About a $1 per capsule. If you go with the buy 3 get one free it's .87 per capsule. Backordered too. I sent them an email to ask how long...

#28 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 03:37 PM

Mind, great info. I take one longevinex at morning, one at night. I might start adding two more throughout the day. I wonder if there's a reason he basically mega-doses twice a day, rather than spreads out the dose (like this: 2 morning, 2 lunch, 2 dinner, 2 bedtime), since resveratrol has such a short life in the body. Or does that not matter--as long as it triggers the right gene(s).

This would be a great follow-up question for him? And, does he closely monitor bio-markers like cholesterol, blood pressure, CRP, etc.?

Each longevinex has about 45mg, so 8 pills would be ~380mg.

Velopismo: working on Duke! ;-)

#29 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:42 PM

Hmmm.... The improvement in liver markers and cholesterol are not such a significative improvement for me to jump on the resveratrol bandwagon. I can get the same and better results with other nutraceuticals which are dozen times cheaper than longevinex.

Life extension is another matter... if it really activated the SIR-1 gene....

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Lothar

• 221 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:38 AM

I'm a little bit confused now. In this older thread about the possible advantages of resveratrol

http://www.imminst.o...6&t=9256&st=140

there was a quote by opales (on the 3rd of October 2006) of David Sinclair that he has changed his former opinion about the question which DOSE is needed to activate the SIR2-gene:

'How about red wine? First, I should say that resveratrol influences many proteins that are linked to better health, not only SIR2. But can a glass of red wine provide enough resveratrol? Based on the older studies, the answer is a resounding "no." This is still the prevailing view. After drinking red wine, levels of resveratrol in blood barely reach the concentrations thought to be required for SIR2 activation, and, what's more, resveratrol is processed by the liver into a variety of different forms within about 15 minutes of entering the bloodstream.

That said, I am no longer dismissive of the idea that we get enough of these molecules in our diet. For example, recent work by my lab and others show that we may only need trace amounts of resveratrol to protect our cells from death and damage (250 nM). These levels might be achievable by drinking red wine. What's more, resveratrol's processed forms -- which circulate in our bodies over nine hours -- might also be bioactive.' (Dr. David Sinclair)

And on the same day Imminst-member xanadu commented that with:

'Just as I suspected, it is needed but in small amounts. No need to take 100mg per day. Some grapes or red wine will do or a milligram or so in supplement form.'

Instead of that it seems now that Sinclairs mice and Sinclair himself got or take a much higher dose of resveratrol and some of you like dukenukem seem to support this!?

Am I missing or have I misunderstood something or is there a real contradiction?? Practically seen there is a fundamental difference, whether we need just small amounts which we can get by a normal or at least a special diet or whether we need extra high dosages, which we can get only(!) by supplements (and not even cheap ones, as I'v read from you. Thank's for these informations).

Normally there rules the principle 'a lot don't help a lot', because we all need certain amounts of all kind of things - far instance fresh air, warmness, water, salt, nutrition and so on - but if we got ten or a hundred times of it, it will not make us living longer but could even kill us! Think of salt, for example. And if it isn't poisoning us at once or if there are no bad sideeffects in the long run, it is at least a waste of time, energy, money, attention, concentration and confusing our priorities.

So, what is the specific argument that resveratrol is a specific exception from this rule?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users