Photo
- - - - -

Resveratrol extends lifespan in mice and health

• Please log in to reply
281 replies to this topic

#31 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:11 AM

Instead of that it seems now that Sinclairs mice and Sinclair himself got or take a much higher dose of resveratrol and some of you like dukenukem seem to support this!?

I used to take 0.5 mg/kg. The lowest dose of Longevinex you can buy. When I saw the results of the Turquoise Killifish study I decided to double my dose. Their results showed clearly that more was better. I just was not sure how much more. So I went conservative and just doubled my dose. With the latest mice study and Dr. Sinclair's published self dosing I believe that 3mg/kg is a prudent dose. I will wait for the final results of the mice study to see if additional dosing is worth the money. Here's some info about the Italian fish study.

Using 157 turquoise killifish bred by an Italian drug development company, Lay Line Genomics (which funded the study and which holds the rights for commercial exploitation of this aging model), the researchers conducted experiments on the antiaging effects of resveratrol.3 Beginning when the fish reached sexual maturity at 4 weeks of age, the researchers gave them food (bloodworm larvae—yum!) that was supplemented with resveratrol at three different concentrations: 24, 120, and 600 micrograms of resveratrol per gram of food.* (A fourth group, the controls, received no resveratrol.) The fish were given defined amounts of food twice daily so that their resveratrol intake could be accurately known.

The results were astonishing: whereas all the control fish died by 12 weeks of age (as did the fish receiving the lowest dose of resveratrol), the fish receiving the two higher doses of resveratrol lived much longer. In the fish receiving 120 mcg/g of food, the median lifespan increased by 33%, and the maximum lifespan increased by 27%. In the fish receiving 600 mcg/g of food, the median and maximum lifespans increased by 56% and 59%, respectively.

At least in fish and mice, more is better. http://www.life-enha...int.asp?ID=1685

#32 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:21 AM

Resveratrol appears to be like vitamin C, where a little will prevent scurvy, more will help prevent some colds, and even a lot more will greatly reduce the chance of vascular disease. What level do you want to be at? Most just prevent scurvy.

There might be diminishing returns on higher doses of resveratrol, but there does seem to be increasing benefits, nonetheless. Bill Sardi said a while back that a doctor he knew had leukemia, and took some 30 Longevinex a day, and the leukemia had not taken his life up to that point. (Would love to hear an update on this.)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:42 AM

If this has not been adressed here:

"It's known that resveratrol has 30% bioavailability in rodents, compared to 0% in humans. The issue with resveratrol is that it picks up functional groups in the liver, rather than being degraded. What is yet unclear, is whether or not those altered forms have similar biological activity."

bottom of page 3 http://www.avantlabs...ic=23415&st=60#

#34 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:56 AM

"It's known that resveratrol has 30% bioavailability in rodents, compared to 0% in humans. The issue with resveratrol is that it picks up functional groups in the liver, rather than being degraded. What is yet unclear, is whether or not those altered forms have similar biological activity."

That's interesting. Why is Dr. Sinclair even bothering. Does velikimajmun have any references to support his statment? I'd like to know if I'm wasting $4.98 a day.

#35 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:01 AM

Mol Nutr Food Res. 2005 May;49(5):495-504.Click here to read Links
Bioavailability of trans-resveratrol from red wine in humans.

* Vitaglione P,
* Sforza S,
* Galaverna G,
* Ghidini C,
* Caporaso N,
* Vescovi PP,
* Fogliano V,
* Marchelli R.

Dipartimento di Scienza degli Alimenti, Universita degli Studi di Napoli Federico II, Portici NA, Italy.

Many in vitro studies demonstrated significant biological effects of trans-resveratrol. Thus, understanding the rate of intestinal absorption and metabolization in vivo of trans-resveratrol is the prerequisite to evaluate its potential health impact. Bioavailability studies mainly in animals or in humans using the pure compound at very high doses were performed. In this work, trans-resveratrol bioavailability from a moderate consumption of red wine in 25 healthy humans has been studied by three different experiments. The wine ingestion was associated to three different dietary approaches: fasting, a standard meal, a meal with high and low amount of lipids. Trans-resveratrol 3- and 4'-glucuronides were synthesized, purified, and characterized as pure standards. Bioavailability data were obtained by measuring the concentration of free, 3-glucuronide and 4'-glucuronide trans-resveratrol by high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), both with ultraviolet (UV) and mass spectrometry (MS) detection, in serum samples taken at different times after red wine administration. Free trans-resveratrol was found, in trace amounts, only in some serum samples collected 30 min after red wine ingestion while after longer times resveratrol glucuronides predominated. Trans-resveratrol bioavailability was shown to be independent from the meal or its lipid content. The finding in human serum of trans-resveratrol glucuronides, rather than the free form of the compound, with a high interindividual variability, raises some doubts about the health effects of dietary resveratrol consumption and suggests that the benefits associated to red wine consumption could be probably due to the whole antioxidant pool present in red wine.

#36 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 08:13 AM

From the full text of this abstract (I hope the authors don't sue me):

Therapeutic potential of resveratrol: the in vivo evidence.

Pharmacokinetics
It is fair to say that the literature on resveratrol is, in many cases, contradictory and confusing. The wide range of concentrations and doses used to achieve the various effects reported for resveratrol (~32 nM–100 ?M in vitro and ~100 ng–1,500 mg per kg (body weight) in animals) raises many questions about the concentrations that are achieved or achievable in vivo. Furthermore, resveratrol has a short initial half-life (~8–14 min for the primary molecule175,176) and is metabolized extensively in the body. As such, calculating the effective in vivo concentration of resveratrol or designing new studies based on the current literature can be daunting.
In 2004, Walle177 and colleagues showed that the bulk of an intravenous dose of resveratrol is converted to sulphate conjugates within ~30 min in humans. A detailed analysis of plasma metabolites after oral dosing was not possible; however, both sulphate and glucuronide conjugates were detected. Five distinct metabolites were present in the urine — resveratrol monosulphate, two isomeric forms of resveratrol monoglucuronide, dihydroresveratrol monosulphate and dihydroresveratrol. monoglucuronide (FIG. 1). Total sulphate conjugates accounted for ~37% of the metabolites in the urine and total glucuronide conjugates ~19%, with the remainder being made up largely by unknown metabolites and only trace amounts of free resveratrol. In addition, Walle et al.177 found that the serum half-life of total resveratrol metabolites was ~9.2 hours, indicating that exposure to modified forms is much higher than that for unchanged resveratrol. Although modifications such as glucuronidation and sulphation typically reduce the cell permeability ofdrugs and aid in their excretion, the undeniable in vivo efficacy of resveratrol, despite its low bioavailability,
has led to speculation that its metabolites could retain some activity. In support of this, several metabolites retain the ability to activate SIRT1 and inhibit cyclooxygenase in vitro (A. Mesecar, personal communication).
However, resveratrol-3-sulphate fails to inhibit CYPs35 and there is currently no evidence that any metabolite is able to cross the plasma membrane. Research into the actions of metabolites has been hampered by the lack of commercial sources, but should proceed more readily now that synthetic routes to these molecules have been established by several groups64,177,178
One finding that has often been overlooked is that quercetin, which is also present in red wine, is a picomolar inhibitor of resveratrol sulphation in both the liver and duodenum184, indicating that the profiles of metabolites obtained after consumption of either red wine or purified resveratrol could be different. Resveratrol , its 3-glucuronide and its 4?-glucuronide were all detected sporadically in the plasma of human participants after ingestion of red wine at concentrations.  up to 26 nM, 190 nM and 2.2 ?M, respectively178. Data on the peak serum concentrations of unchanged resveratrol, as well as metabolites, are summarized in TABLES 2,3....
It is also worth considering the potential interactions of resveratrol with other constituents of the diet.
Resveratrol has been shown to synergize with both quercetin and ellagic acid in the induction of apoptosis in human leukaemia cells187, with ethanol in the inhibition of iNOS expression188, with vitamin E in the prevention of lipid peroxidation189, with catechin in the protection of PC12 cells from ?-amyloid toxicity190, and with nucleoside analogues in the inhibition of HIV1 replication in cultured T lymphocytes191. These effects could help to explain how a relatively low dose of resveratrol obtained from red wine or other dietary sources could produce a measurable health benefit.
it seems likely that resveratrol acts through multiple pathways. Intriguingly, reported effects are overwhelmingly in the direction that would be considered beneficial and in many cases seem to suggest cooperative action. For example, expression of CYP1A1 is downregulated by resveratrol through inhibition of AHR40, but resveratrol also inhibits the catalytic activity of CYP1A1 directly36. The same is true for COX2 — resveratrol interferes with both transcription23 and catalytic activity5 of the enzyme. Resveratrol inhibits NF-?B both by blocking the upstream activator PKC?196 and by activating the inhibitor SIRT1 (REF. 172). Moreover, resveratrol
inhibits inflammation through ostensibly independent effects on NF-?B, cyclooxygenase and interleukin-1?.

One possible explanation for this seemingly coordinated response is that resveratrol resembles an endogenous signalling molecule. Indeed, resveratrol’s structure is reminiscent of molecules that stimulate the oestrogen
receptors. However, attempts to characterize resveratrol as an in vivo oestrogen mimetic have met with limited success106,142. Another alternative is the ‘xenohormesis hypothesis’, which proposes that organisms have evolved to respond to chemical cues in their diets9,197,198 (BOX 2). Whether resveratrol can stimulate endogenous pathways to promote health and longevity, such as those that are active during caloric restriction, or whether it produces its effects through a series of fortuitous interactions are important issues to address.

It is becoming clear that resveratrol and more potent mimetics show great promise in the treatment of the leading causes of morbidity and mortality in the Western world. So far, little evidence suggests that these health benefits are coupled with deleterious side effects. Even the trade off between individual health and reproductive potential that is characteristic of caloric restriction does not seem to occur in animals with lifespans that have been extended by resveratrol14. Could resveratrol and similar molecules form the next class of wonder-drugs?

It appears the answer is tending towards a yes.

Dr. Sinclair is a Harvard dude, okay? Harvard dudes generally don't play; and I don't just say that because my brother happens to be one. [wis]

Harvard dudes like Dr. Sinclair (as Scott notes) obviously have access to more information on these matters than average dudes like us searching the Pubmed database and the web.

Dr. Sinclair an associate professor at Harvard Med school and is also part owner of a drug company working with resveratrol (I think) and if he wanted to, he could easily have his plasma resveratrol levels analyzed by one of his buddies in the lab with the flick of a switch. It's not rocket science for these guys to find a silly plasma level. Trust me: if he takes the stuff, it likely gets into your bloodstream. We can debate all day, but the proof that the guy takes the stuff is probably good enough for me. :)

The main reason why Dr. Sinclair won't openly state that resveratrol is effective or that he thinks others should take it is probably due to the current standards of the medical/research community (not to mention the FDA) that require restraint and conclusive, peer review for each and every claim. He knows he would likely compromise his credibility, reputation, and probably his job -- if he went out and said: "take resveratrol" without fully conclusive, peer reviewed evidence to support his reasoning.

Have fun with this rat data, it might help:

Attached Files

Edited by nootropikamil, 26 December 2006 - 09:45 PM.

#37 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 01:31 AM

I inquired about the delay in shipping and got a canned response though no date. They did however indicate a bump to 100mg from the 40. Read on...

Your order for Longevinex® capsules is worth waiting for........because we have been able to increase the amount of trans resveratrol in each capsule, at no price increase to you.

Due to a tremendous increase in worldwide demand for Longevinex® capsules, there will be a delay in shipping your order, but we know that you will want the most potent product available.  Researchers suggest a human dose of about 235 milligrams will produce similar health benefits as those observed in the recent mouse study reported in Nature Magazine.

The updated version of Longevinex® will provide a full 100 milligrams of trans resveratrol, up from 40 milligrams in the present capsule.  Place your order today, your credit card will not be billed till your order is shipped.

And watch for more exciting news about resveratrol and Longevinex® in the months ahead.

Bill Sardi, President

#38 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 01:11 AM

Thanks BTW way Nooi.

#39 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 08:10 PM

Maestro, that's spectacular news about Longevinex bumping up their resveratrol content.

I just bought 10 bottles of the NSI resveratrol project, which contains 50mg per pill, but also other good stuff.

#40 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:11 PM

Hmm at more than double of the original dose, I may even try Longevinex for once :)

#41 wtjewell

• 4 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 12:47 AM

Mind, great info.  I take one longevinex at morning, one at night.  I might start adding two more throughout the day.  I wonder if there's a reason he basically mega-doses twice a day, rather than spreads out the dose (like this: 2 morning, 2 lunch, 2 dinner, 2 bedtime), since resveratrol has such a short life in the body.  Or does that not matter--as long as it triggers the right gene(s).

This would be a great follow-up question for him?  And, does he closely monitor bio-markers like cholesterol, blood pressure, CRP, etc.?

Each longevinex has about 45mg, so 8 pills would be ~380mg.

Velopismo: working on Duke!  ;-)

Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Keep in mind that a single large dose, such as Sinclair uses (or 2 large daily doses in his case), may actually be more efficacious than many smaller doses spread out over the day. Why? A single large dose will result in higher peak plasma levels of resveratrol which should activate those genes or whatever good stuff it is we are looking for in these supplements. It's the same reason you take 2 Tylenol when you have a headache, rather than 1 now and 1 in 4 hours. You want to get those blood levels up quickly. ;)

-WJ

#42 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:48 PM

I'm gonna "test" 2 larger doses for a while, probably 100mg at noon and another 140mg at night, 30 minutes before taking my aminos+vitamins (and 5-HTP), - which is currently 60 minutes before bed. Interesting to see how/if my body responds to this dose, - accordingly I may lower my dose abit, considered the price of this, - it would be costly to down 1 whole glass or so of Longevinex every week for a POSSIBLE optimal benefit (?). BTW, what's the news re: 100mg of trans-resveratrol in Longevinex? They got "Service Unavailable" on and off now...
I'm using the european "batch" of Longevinex (greenpower24.com), great business for us in EU, and no problems w/customs (for me anyway), they ship for free if you buy a large order (100+ euro I think), -
but there's also Andrew Lessman's Resveratrol 100, w/a whopping 100mg per capsule, - I emailed them, and they claim their capsule contains 100mg TRANS-resveratrol, the form used in clinical studies. Does look like a proper business, it doesn't come in Longevinex' supposed nicer package, though.

#43 wtjewell

• 4 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:25 PM

Here's another new study. Look how much the sales of Longivinex went up!!!!!!!!! [g:)]

-WJ

Drug Doubles Endurance, Study Says
By NICHOLAS WADE
Published: November 16, 2006

Given that some athletes will take almost anything to gain a one percent edge in performance, what might they do for a 100 percent improvement? That temptation is made somewhat more real by a report today in a leading journal about a drug that doubles the physical endurance of mice running on treadmills. And it could only be more tempting, because the drug in question has also been reported to extend the lifespan of mice.

An ordinary lab mouse will run about one kilometer — five-eights of a mile — on a treadmill before collapsing from exhaustion. But mice given resveratrol, a minor component of red wine and other foods, run twice as far.

They also have a reduced heart rate and energy-charged muscles, just as trained athletes do, according to an article published online in Cell by Johan Auwerx and his colleagues at the Institute of Genetics and Molecular and Cellular Biology in Illkirch, France.

“Resveratrol makes you look like a trained athlete without the training,” Dr. Auwerx (pronounced OH-wer-ix”) said in an interview.

He and his colleagues said the same mechanism seems likely to operate in humans, based on their analysis, in a group of Finnish subjects, of the gene that is influenced by the drug.

Their rationale for testing resveratrol was evidence obtained three years ago that it could activate a genetic mechanism known to protect mice against the degenerative diseases of aging and to prolong their lifespan by 30 percent.

Dr. Auwerx, whose interest is in the genetic control of metabolism, decided to see if resveratrol would offset the effects of a high-fat diet, specifically the metabolic disturbances, known as metabolic syndrome, that are the precursors of diabetes and obesity.

In his report, he and his colleagues say that very large doses of resveratrol protected mice from gaining weight and from developing metabolic syndrome.

Dr. Auwerx attributes this change in large part to the significantly increased number of mitochondria he detected in the muscle cells of treated mice.

Mitochondria are the organelles within the body’s cells that generate energy. With increased mitochondria, the treated mice were able to burn off more fat and thus avoid weight gain and decreased sensitivity to insulin, Dr. Auwerx said. He found that their muscle fibers had been remodeled by the drug into the type more prevalent in trained human athletes.

Dr. Ronald M. Evans, a leading expert on the hormonal control of metabolism at the Salk Institute, said that the report by Dr. Auwerx’s team had “shown very convincingly that resveratrol improves mitochondrial function” and fends off metabolic disease.

Dr. Evans described the study as “very important, because it is rare that we identify orally active molecules, especially natural molecules, that have such a broad-based, positive effect on a problem as widespread in society as metabolic disease.”

Dr. Ronald Kahn, director of the Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston, said the research would focus attention on the sirtuins, a recently discovered group of enzymes that resveratrol is believed to affect. Noting that he is a scientific advisor to Sirtris, a company developing drugs that activate the sirtuins, Dr. Kahn said, “Certainly, drugs that act on this class of proteins have the potential to have major effects on human disease.”

Dr. Auwerx’s study complements one published earlier this month by Dr. David Sinclair of the Harvard Medical School, who found that much more moderate doses of resveratrol protected mice from the metabolic effects of a high-calorie diet. Though his mice did not lose weight, they lived far longer than undosed mice that were fed the same high-calorie diet.

The two studies were started and performed independently, Dr. Auwerx said, though he obtained supplies of resveratrol from Sirtris, which was co-founded by Dr. Sinclair, and he has become a scientific advisor to the company.

A drug that prolongs life, averts degenerative disease and, on top of all that, makes you into a champion athlete — at least if you are a mouse — sounds almost too good to be true.

Dr. Christoph Westphal, Sirtris’s chief executive, replied to this objection with a question: “Is it too good to be true that when you are young you get no disease?”

He believes that activation of the sirtuins is what keeps the body healthy in youth, but that these enzymes become less powerful with age, exposing the body to degenerative disease. That is the process that he says is reversed by resveratrol and, he hopes, by the more powerful sirtuin-activator drugs that his company is developing, though many years of clinical trials will still be needed to demonstrate whether they work and are safe to use.

The developing buzz over sirtuin activators has captivated some scientists who do research on the aging process, several of whom are already taking resveratrol themselves. Dr. Sinclair has said that he has been swallowing resveratrol capsules for three years, and that his parents and half his lab staff do the same.

So does Dr. Tomas Prolla at the University of Wisconsin. “The fact that investigators in the field are taking it is a good sign there is something there,” he said.

But many others believe taking the drug now is premature, including Dr. Leonard Guarente of M.I.T. whose 15-year study of the sirtuins laid the basis for the field of study. It was after working in Dr. Guarente’s lab as a postdoctoral student that Dr. Sinclair found in 2003 that resveratrol was a sirtuin activator.

Though resveratrol has long been known to be a component red wine and other foods, it is present there in only minuscule amounts, compared with the very large doses used in experiments. Dr. Sinclair dosed his mice daily with 22 milligrams of resveratrol for each kilogram of weight, and Dr. Auwerx used up to 400 milligrams. No one could drink enough red wine to obtain such doses.

Resveratrol is now available in capsules that contain extracts of red wine and giant knotweed, a plant found in China. One manufacturer of such capsules is Longevinex, whose president, Bill Sardi, said today that demand for the product had increased by a factor of 2400 since Nov. 1. But even Longevinex’s capsules, which at present contain 40 milligrams of resveratrol each, would have to be gulped in almost impossible quantities for a human to obtain doses equivalent to those used in mice. “It’s like eating a whole bottle of Tums every day,” Dr. Evans said.

Whether much lower doses would benefit athletic performance is not clear, Dr. Evans said. And higher doses may not be as safe as the lower doses found now in foods and “nutraceuticals” like the extract capsules.

Besides these uncertainties over what a safe and effective dose of resveratrol might be, the science underlying the field is still in full flux. Many central details are still unclear. The principal theory developed by Dr. Guarente and others is that the sirtuins somehow sense the level of energy expenditure in living cells and switch the body’s resources from reproduction to tissue maintenance when food is low.

This is an ancient strategy, Dr. Guarente believes, that allows an organism to live through famines and postpone breeding until good times return. The switch to tissue maintenance involves specific action to stave off the major degenerative diseases of aging, such as cancer, diabetes, heart disease and neurodegeneration.

Though resveratrol is in the spotlight, the central focus of researchers is on how the sirtuins are activated and what they do. One serious uncertainty is whether, in the mouse experiments, resverattrol in fact acted through the sirtuins or by some other unknown mechanism. In the latter case, Dr. Sinclair’s and Dr. Auwerx’s mouse experiments would offer less support to the sirtuin theory.

Dr. Auwerx cites evidence that resveratrol does activate sirtuin, but Dr. Evans said the case was not yet fully convincing.

Dr. Bruce Spiegelman, a Harvard Medical School expert on fat metabolism, said Dr. Auwerx’s paper was “pretty good.” Dr. Auwerx believes resveratrol activates sirtuin, which in turn activates a factor known as PGC1-alpha in a manner first described by Dr. Spiegelman and his colleagues last year. Subsequent actions by PGC1-alpha then stimulate cells to produce more mitochondria.

Increased energy production by mitochondria generates potentially dangerous reactive chemicals that are known to damage cells. So it has long been puzzling that exercise, in which energy is expended, is good for health, not bad.

Dr. Auwerx noted that Dr. Spiegelman showed in a report in the journal Cell last month that PGC1-alpha not only increases mitochondria, but at the same time generates chemicals that detoxify the energy by-products.

More Articles in Science » [wis] [wis] [huh] ;)

#44 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:42 PM

Have a link to this, WJ?

Also, you might be right about taking few, but higher doses. Something to think about...

#45 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:00 PM

Yes, I posted this earlier today in this thread: "Resveratrol does it again! SIRT1 implicated"

Note in red below that Sirtris Pharmaceuticals, which Dr. Sinclair is part owner -- funded this research....

...hey, why not post it here again? Won't hurt I guess...

News source

Red Wine Protects Mice from Obesity, Diabetes

By Rob Stein
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, November 16, 2006; 2:34 PM

A component of red wine recently shown to help lab mice live longer also protects animals from obesity and diabetes, researchers reported today.

The new research helps confirm and extend the possible benefits of the substance, resveratrol, and offers new insight into how it works--apparently by revving up the metabolism to make muscles burn more energy and work more efficiently. Mice fed large doses could run twice as far as normal.

In addition, the scientists for the first time produced evidence linking the biological pathway activated by the substance to humans, showing that the same genetic switch resveratrol mimics seems to naturally endow some people with faster metabolisms.

"It's very exciting," said Johan Auwerx, a professor of medicine at the Institute for Genetics and Cellular and Molecular Biology in Strasbourg, France, who led the research being published in the journal Cell. "This compound could have many applications--treating obesity and diabetes, improving human endurance, helping the frail. There's a lot of potential."

Auwerx and other researchers cautioned much more research is needed to study the compound and similar agents, especially to see if the approach is safe for people. Humans would have to take hundreds of resveratrol pills sold in health food stores or drink hundreds of glasses of wine a day to get equivalent levels of the substance tested on the mice, neither of which would be safe. But the new research adds to the growing enthusiasm about the approach, experts said.

"This is the first example of a drug that can apparently affect the whole aging process, not just this disease or that disease, but the mechanisms that allow these diseases to occur," said Felipe Sierra of the National Institute on Aging.

Others agreed.

"The idea of giving someone anything to improve their longevity until very recently would have been considered snake oil or crockery," said Stephen L. Helfand of Brown University. "But here we are possibly being able to move out of the laboratory from extending the lives of flies, worms and mice to humans a lot sooner than we thought."

Resveratrol is found in red wine, grapes and other foods, including peanuts. Scientists suspect it may help explain why French people have fewer heart attacks despite their high-fat diets, and why eating a very low-calorie diet can extend the life spans of many species.

Researchers recently demonstrated resveratrol did the same thing for mammals in a study involving laboratory mice. High doses of the compound neutralized the ill effects of a high-fat, high-calorie diet, extending the animals' life spans and preventing adverse effects on their livers and hearts.

In the new research, researchers fed mice even higher dosages--10 times higher-- along with a high-fat, high-calorie diet. Resveratrol significantly reduced the animals' chances of becoming obese and of developing early signs of diabetes. The mice appeared to experience no adverse side effects.

Additional experiments on the animals' cells indicate the substance works by increasing the activity of an enzyme known as SIRT1, boosting the number and activity of structures inside cells called mitochondria, the researchers said. Mitochondria are like power plants inside cells, burning fat and providing energy. They tend to get revved up by exercise, and deteriorate with age. The mice fed resveratrol had more efficient muscle tissue, sharply hiking their endurance.

"In the elderly, many of the disorders that occur with aging occur because of muscle weakness," Helfand said. "This makes you wonder what would happen if you took an older individual and revved up their mitochondria with resveratrol. You could imagine that it could have a profound positive effect on their health."

Auwerx also wondered whether the substance might be abused by professional athletes. "That could be the illicit use of these compounds -- as performance boosters," he said.

In addition to the mouse experiments, the researchers also produced evidence supporting the theory that SIRT1 plays a key role in longevity in humans in an accompanying analysis of 123 Finnish adults. The subjects born with certain variations of the SIRT1 gene had faster metabolisms, naturally burning energy more efficiently, indicating the same pathway works in humans too.

"We've all seen people who are thin no matter what they eat or do -- that have good metabolisms versus bad. This may help explain that," said Christoph Westphal, the CEO of Sirtris Pharmaceuticals of Cambridge, Mass., which sponsored and helped conduct the study as part of its efforts to develop drugs based on the approach.

The company is already testing a potent version of resveratrol on diabetic humans, and hopes to eventually test it and similar compounds as a treatment for a variety of diseases.

"We are targeting a gene that controls the aging process," Westphal said. "Many diseases have a link to the aging process. So these kinds of drugs clearly have the potential to treat several diseases of aging. It's very exciting."

Other researchers said the new work was interesting, but remained cautious, particularly about making the link to SIRT1.

"I think that's part of the story, but that it would be a mistake to think that's all that's going on," said Matt Kaeberlein of the University of Washington.

Edited by nootropikamil, 16 November 2006 - 11:13 PM.

#46 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:24 AM

Right now I'm doing CR and taking 2 resveratrol caps a day ;)

I think people are crazy not to take their chance with resveratrol right now, especially with all the evidence coming in...

#47 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:28 AM

There is definitely a lot of evidence coming in, but it is not answering the questions we need it to answer to understand efficacy in humans.

#48 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:30 AM

Mine just arrived in the mail today. Woot. Just took my 1st 100mg 20 minutes ago. Nothin's happened yet ;)

#49 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:31 AM

Better send it back maestro, yours must be defective....hahaha

#50 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:39 AM

There is definitely a lot of evidence coming in, but it is not answering the questions we need it to answer to understand efficacy in humans.

It would be interesting giving resveratrol to a few hundreds elderly people... possibly in their 60 - 90 year olds. Then look at mortality...

Can't think of a faster way to get quick preliminary and final results on health and mortality.

#51 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 04:55 AM

It would be interesting giving resveratrol to a few hundreds elderly people... possibly in their 60 - 90 year olds. Then look at mortality...

Can't think of a faster way to get quick preliminary and final results on health and mortality.

I believe there will be an avalanche of studies in the next few years. In the elderly, athletes, race horses etc. This is very exciting news. IMO there are going to be some drug company executives and their investors who will not welcome the results of these studies. If you are developing a diabeties drug for $500 million you must be watching the news about resveratrol with some trepidation.

Edited by velopismo, 18 November 2006 - 03:57 AM.

#52 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 05:03 AM

Some more info on the French study

Thursday, November 16, 2006

More Good News about Red Wine
A new study shows that resveratrol, a compound found in wine, boosts energy expenditures.

By Katherine Bourzac

Print  E-mail  Add to del.icio.us  Digg this

Two weeks ago, Harvard researchers reported that high doses of resveratrol, a compound found in red wine, extend the life span of obese mice on a high-fat diet and keep them as healthy as mice on a normal diet (see "A Life-Extending Pill for Fat Mice"). Their study suggested that resveratrol activates the molecular mechanisms thought to control aging--a good sign for pharmaceutical companies hoping to influence these pathways in order to treat the diseases of aging, from diabetes to cancer.

Another study of resveratrol in mice, published today in the journal Cell, brings even better news: it further illuminates the mechanism of the compound by connecting it with energy expenditure and metabolism. The study was conducted by researchers at Sirtris Pharmaceuticals, in Cambridge, MA; at France's Institut de Génétique et de Biologie Moléculaire et Cellulaire; and at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.

The study reveals that mice given a high-fat diet plus resveratrol put on less fat than other mice on the unhealthy diet. The same held for resveratrol-treated mice on a normal diet. They ingested the same number of calories but burned them at a greater rate. The researchers found that basal energy expenditure--how much energy an animal uses while at rest--was much higher in the treated mice.

The researchers also found that these mice had large, densely folded, highly active mitochondria, the subcellular structures that convert nutrients into energy, in the fat tissue that the animals burn to produce most of their body heat. The researchers noted similar effects, as well as significant changes in gene expression, in the treated mice's muscle. (In humans, muscle is the tissue in which mitochondria are most active.) In a test of the mice's endurance--how long they could run before exhaustion hit--those on resveratrol had twice the stamina as those that weren't.

This study also seems to provide evidence that resveratrol influences molecular aging pathways in mice. In yeast, resveratrol increases life span, and this effect is dependent on the gene Sir2, a master regulator of aging in these organisms. There is not yet any strong evidence connecting the mammalian equivalents of Sir2, called sirtuins, to the control of aging. Researchers in this study found that in mouse muscle cells, the effects of resveratrol on mitochondria were dependent on SIRT1, one of the sirtuins.

The researchers went beyond mice to look for variations in energy expenditure in humans with slight variations in the gene Sirt1. They found three variations that significantly modulated energy expenditure.

Insulin resistance in humans has been tied to poor energy expenditure in mitochondria. Sirtris Pharmaceuticals recently began a clinical trial of a highly active version of resveratrol to treat diabetes.

I know rationally that the benefits of resveratrol have not been demonstrated in humans, and that it's unclear what dose would be needed to affect people. But after learning of these two studies, I must admit that I'm feeling an irrational urge to go to the health store for some resveratrol supplements. I'm not alone. In fact, David Sinclair, the lead researcher on the Harvard paper, recently said on the Charlie Rose Show (at around 10' 30" after the jump) that he has been "experimenting on" himself. "I've been taking resveratrol for three years, ever since we discovered in yeast that it extends their life span," he told Rose, although he doesn't advocate that other people do so.

http://www.technolog...s.aspx?id=17472

#53 opales

• 892 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 06:16 AM

Now that it is anticipated to improve physical performance and inhibit weight gain, everyone is going start taking it.

#54 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 04:10 PM

Now that it is anticipated to improve physical performance and inhibit weight gain, everyone is going start taking it.

Too late:

http://www.t-nation....c.do?id=1158493

#55 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 05:44 PM

So now is it net positive to try to outrun microheteroplasmy by stimulating mitochondria procreation into overdrive at a fairly young age (30-40) by using say 5mg/kg resveratrol and build a broader base of mitochondria to avoid deleterious effects of microheteroplasmy or rather postpone it's effects?

#56 wtjewell

• 4 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:17 PM

[quote]Have a link to this, WJ?

Here's the link, its a NY Times article it turns out (I had it emailed to me from a colleague):

http://www.nytimes.c...=rssnyt&emc=rss

It would prolly be best to take resveratrol (or any drug) on an empty stomach as well. That generally makes the absorption rate faster(and resulting plasma peak levels higher). As long as it doesnt upset your stomach like the NSAIDs, you should be fine. Of course, if you could inject it or smoke it, that would be even better. [tung]

#57 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:50 PM

Double post, please delete.

#58 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:51 PM

There is another article in NYtimes today that you might want to check out:

Nytimes: news source

November 17, 2006
Red Wine Ingredient Increases Endurance, Study Shows
By NICHOLAS WADE

Photo credit: Institut Clinique de la Souris
Posted Image
The two mice on treadmills at left have been given resveratrol; the one on the right has not.

A drug already shown to reverse the effects of obesity in mice and make them live longer has now been shown to increase their endurance as well.

Experts say the finding may open up a new field of research on similar drugs that may be relevant to the prevention of diabetes and other diseases.

An ordinary laboratory mouse will run one kilometer on a treadmill before collapsing from exhaustion. But mice given resveratrol, a minor component of red wine and other foods, run twice as far. They also have energy-charged muscles and a reduced heart rate, just as trained athletes do, according to an article published online in Cell by Johan Auwerx and colleagues at the Institute of Genetics and Molecular and Cellular Biology in Illkirch, France.

“Resveratrol makes you look like a trained athlete without the training,” Dr. Auwerx (pronounced OH-wer-ix) said in an interview.

He and his colleagues said the same mechanism seemed likely to operate in humans, based on analysis in a group of Finnish subjects of the gene that is influenced by the drug.

Their rationale for testing resveratrol was evidence obtained three years ago that it could initiate a genetic mechanism known to protect mice against the degenerative diseases of aging and prolong their life spans by 30 percent.

Dr. Auwerx, whose interest is in the genetic control of metabolism, decided to see whether resveratrol would offset the effects of a high-fat diet, specifically the disturbances known as metabolic syndrome that are the precursors of diabetes and obesity. In his report, he and his colleagues say very large doses of resveratrol protected mice from weight gain and developing the syndrome.

Dr. Auwerx attributes this in large part to the significantly increased number of mitochondria he detected in the muscle cells of treated mice.

Mitochondria are the organelles in the body’s cells that generate energy. With extra mitochondria, the treated mice were able to burn more fat and thus avoid weight gain and decreased sensitivity to insulin, Dr. Auwerx said. He found their muscle fibers had been remodeled by the drug into the type more prevalent in trained human athletes.

Dr. Ronald M. Evans, an expert on the hormonal control of metabolism at the Salk Institute, said the report by Dr. Auwerx’s team had “shown very convincingly that resveratrol improves mitochondrial function” and fends off metabolic disease. He described the study as “very important, because it is rare that we identify orally active molecules, especially natural molecules, that have such a broad-based, positive effect on a problem which is as widespread in society as metabolic disease.”

Dr. Ronald Kahn, director of the Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston, said this research would focus more attention on a recently discovered group of enzymes called sirtuins that resveratrol is believed to affect.

Noting that he is a scientific adviser to Sirtris, a company developing drugs that activate sirtuins, Dr. Kahn said that “certainly drugs that act on this class of proteins have the potential to have major effects on human disease.”

Dr. Auwerx’s study complements one published this month by Dr. David Sinclair of the Harvard Medical School, who found that much more moderate doses of resveratrol protected mice from the metabolic effects of a high-calorie diet. Though his mice did not lose weight, they lived far longer than the undosed mice fed the same diet.

The two studies were started and performed independently, Dr. Auwerx said, though he obtained supplies of resveratrol from Sirtris, which was co-founded by Dr. Sinclair, and has become a scientific adviser to it.

A drug that prolongs life, averts degenerative disease and makes one into a champion athlete sounds almost too good to be true, especially if all or even some of its properties should turn out to apply to people.

Dr. Christoph Westphal, Sirtris’s chief executive, replied to this objection with a question, “Is it too good to be true that when you are young you get no disease?”

Dr. Westphal said he believed that the activation of sirtuins was what kept the body healthy in youth, but that these enzymes became less powerful with age. This is the process that is reversed by resveratrol and, he hopes, by the more powerful sirtuin activator drugs that his company has developed, though many years of clinical trials will be needed to prove they work and are safe.

The buzz over sirtuin activators has infected scientists who do research on the aging process, several of whom are already taking resveratrol. Dr. Sinclair has been swallowing resveratrol capsules for three years and has said his parents and half the members of his laboratory do the same. So does Dr. Tomas Prolla at the University of Wisconsin, who said, “The fact that investigators in the field are taking it is a good sign there is something there.”

But many others, including Dr. Leonard Guarente of M.I.T., whose 15-year study of sirtuins has laid the basis for the field, say it is premature to take the drug.

It was after working in his laboratory as a postdoctoral student that Dr. Sinclair found in 2003 that resveratrol was a sirtuin activator. Though resveratrol has long been known to be an ingredient of red wine and other foods, its presence there is minuscule compared with the doses used in experiments.

Dr. Sinclair dosed his mice daily with 22 milligrams of resveratrol per kilogram of weight, and Dr. Auwerx used up to 400 milligrams. No one can drink enough red wine to obtain such doses.

Resveratrol is sold as capsules that contain extracts of red wine and giant knotweed, a plant found in China. The company Longevinex makes capsules containing 40 milligrams of resveratrol that are used by several researchers. Longevinex’s president, Bill Sardi, said demand had increased by a factor of 2,400 since Nov. 1. But even Longevinex’s capsules would have to be taken in almost impossible quantities to attain doses equivalent to those used in the mice.

Whether much lower doses than those used in the experiments would benefit athletic performance is not clear, Dr. Evans of the Salk Institute said. And higher doses may not be as safe as the small amounts found in foods and nutraceuticals, he added.

Scientists’ rule of thumb is to believe nothing until it has been confirmed in at least one other laboratory. The Sinclair and Auwerx experiments, though not the same, both point to powerful beneficial effects of resveratrol. But many of the details remain up in the air, and almost all hopes about resveratrol, especially for people, remain subject to revision.

The science of the field is still in flux, as many central details are unclear. The main theory developed by Dr. Guarente and others is that sirtuins sense the level of energy expenditure in living cells and switch the body’s resources from reproduction to tissue maintenance when food is low.

This is an ancient strategy, Dr. Guarente believes, intended to let an organism live through famines and postpone breeding until good times return. The switch to tissue maintenance involves specific action that would stave off the major degenerative diseases of aging like cancer, diabetes, heart disease and degeneration of brain cells.

One major uncertainty is whether resveratrol in the mice experiments even acts through sirtuins, supporting the theory, or in some other way.

Dr. Auwerx cited new evidence that resveratrol did activate sirtuins, but Dr. Evans said the case was not yet convincing.

Dr. Auwerx theorizes that resveratrol activates sirtuin, which in turn activates a substance known as PGC1-alpha in a manner described last year by Dr. Bruce Spiegelman, an expert on fat metabolism at the Harvard Medical School. Subsequent actions by PGC1-alpha then stimulate cells to produce more mitochondria. In an e-mail message, Dr. Spiegelman described Dr. Auwerx’s paper as “pretty good.”

Increased energy production by mitochondria generates dangerous reactive chemicals that are known to damage cells. So it has long been puzzling that exercise, in which extra energy is expended, is good for health, not bad. The answer, Dr. Auwerx suggested, may have been provided by Dr. Spiegelman, who reported in the journal Cell last month that PGC1-alpha not only increases mitochondria but at the same time also generates extra chemicals that detoxify the energy byproducts.

#59 tedsez

• 74 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:31 PM

"Dr. Auwerx used up to 400 milligrams [per kilogram of weight, per day]....
Even Longevinex�s capsules, which at present contain 40 milligrams of resveratrol each, would have to be gulped in almost impossible quantities for a human to obtain doses equivalent to those used in mice. 'It's like eating a whole bottle of Tums every day,' Dr. Evans said."

So even if you count Longevinex's increase to 100 mg. per capsule, you'd still be looking at around 320 capsules per day to get the same amount in an adult human... And even if you could swallow that many (and assuming unlimited production by Longevinex), it would cost about $80,000 per year.

Meanwhile, Dr. Sinclair and his cohorts are still talking about a more stable and effective resveratrol-based drug in the works.... But they've been talking about it for a long, long time.

Personally, I'm still taking a couple of Nature's Way resveratrol caps (which may or may not be as effective as Longevinex) every day, because that's what I can afford.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 03:27 AM

I think that as this stuff becomes more popular, it will also become cheaper. Creatine was really expensive as well before it became more popular.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users