• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Simultaneous Worldwide Flyer Postings

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#151 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:59 AM

Just posted a concept for the "Not questioning the status quo KILLS" shirt design at http://www.imminst.o...=0.

If we were to go with this theme I think it would be cool to get a domain that basically follows it up like askwhat.com or doyoucare.com

#152 futureofscience

• 182 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:58 AM

If CNN does an expose' on Imminst, even it it is spun negative, it will be the biggest exposure we could possibly hope for. Aubrey has already used the "I" word on 60 minutes(CBS). That ground has already been broken.

Is there any chance of us perhaps getting some media exposure at the same time as the flyer campaign ?

#153 Aegist

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:07 AM

Well, if we do this well enough, it may generate some TV exposure. A side project I want to work on while we are posting, is getting people to film them posting their flyers. If people can get someone to film them posting a few key ones in good places, or funny places or whatever is interesting to watch, we can then all submit them and edit them into a 5 min YouTube clip and post it so that people on the internet are aware of it too.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#154 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 01:59 AM

Bump...

Any more thoughts on this project?

#155 Aegist

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 02:22 AM

Yeah, I'm still thinking about it and doing stuff, but I've been devoting a lot of my time to one of my websites (its almost ready to go live! Very exciting, and virtually a year in the making, so its important to me)

I think we need someone to make the light switch flash entry, and someone to start constructing the secondary landing page with more info. They are the highest priority points at this point in time IMO.

#156 thenarfus

• 1 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:22 AM

For the posters project, what about printing on the back of the posters, all about the mprize and how biotech and nanotech are advancing so that we will be able to get into a persons cells (using future drugs and then eventually nanobots) and reverse aging etc., simply for (waht aubre-de-gray) says, is about 100mill to 1 billion. (heck, the war inraq costs several billion/month, the world-wide mill budget is over 1000 billion/year!

That way, one poster could have the pic and bellow that, you could put up the other side and have the printed info on the history of life extension and lsit sites like mprize, SENS, longevitymeme, betterhumans, kurzwiel etc.

Also, you could do a simultanious mailing of the poster (folded into a standard letter evelope) to media radio, TV stations, major talk show programs,newspapers, the top forbes 500 companies, politicians world-wide (like congress, the UK house of parlament etc).

#157 jdog

• 227 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:38 PM

Also, you could do a simultanious mailing of the poster (folded into a standard letter evelope) to media radio, TV stations, major talk show programs,newspapers, the top forbes 500 companies, politicians world-wide (like congress, the UK house of parlament etc).

This reminds me of how important networking is. Obviously, the more people we have involved in this campagin, the more potential exposure it will have. Just a couple questions I'd like to throw out there: Are we working in conjunction with key members of imminst who have clout in their professional academic/business fields? What about non-members too? Have we contacted other like-minded organizations in order to syncronize a concentrated campaign? I know for myself, as well as many others here in this community would love to take the time out of our schedules to learn Flash, but many of us simply do not have the time with college, work, wives, kids, etc, etc. What about using imminst funds to outsource a multimedia presentation, which we as members can actively collaborate on? This campagin needs all the help it can get, so if we can outsource some of the things we need, I think we should seriously consider it.

It's likely all this has been brought up before, so if it has, just let it serve as a reminder.

#158 screamfiend

• 42 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:03 PM

How about a postcard sized image of a scantilly clad female in a t-shirt that says "Immortality is Sexy" with the imminst.org URL at the bottom?

Most people fail to realize what business they are in. A writer of books is in the marketing business if she wants to make any money. A plumber is in the marketing business. Learn marketing techniques. Learn how to get paid to have people visit your website. This is what I am doing for ImmInst.org and I will give freely of my own expertise and results.

#159 futureofscience

• 182 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:17 PM

How about a postcard sized image of a scantilly clad female in a t-shirt that says "Immortality is Sexy" with the imminst.org URL at the bottom?

*coughs* Despite the overwhelming majority, not everyone here is straight and male, just like the target audience [thumb]

#160 screamfiend

• 42 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:26 PM

Perhaps this will assist?

"Ending Procrastination, by Jim Rohn

Perseverance is about as important to achievement as gasoline is to driving a car. Sure, there will be times when you feel like you're spinning your wheels, but you'll always get out of the rut with genuine perseverance. Without it, you won't even be able to start your engine.

The opposite of perseverance is procrastination. Perseverance means you never quit. Procrastination usually means you never get started, although the inability to finish something is also a form of procrastination.

Ask people why they procrastinate and you'll often hear something like this: "I'm a perfectionist. Everything has to be just right before I can get down to work. No distractions, not too much noise, no telephone calls interrupting me, and of course I have to be feeling well physically, too. I can't work when I have a headache." The other end of procrastination - being unable to finish - also has a perfectionist explanation: "I'm just never satisfied. I'm my own harshest critic. If all the it's aren't dotted and all the t's aren't crossed, I just can't consider that I'm done. That's just the way I am, and I'll probably never change."

Do you see what's going on here? A fault is being turned into a virtue. The perfectionist is saying that his standards are just too high for this world. This fault-into-virtue syndrome is a common defense when people are called upon to discuss their weaknesses, but in the end it's just a very pious kind of excuse making. It certainly doesn't have anything to do with what's really behind procrastination.

Remember, the basis of procrastination could be fear of failure. That's what perfectionism really is, once you take a hard look at it. What's the difference whether you're afraid of being less than perfect or afraid of anything else? You're still paralyzed by fear. What's the difference whether you never start or never finish? You're still stuck. You're still going nowhere. You're still overwhelmed by whatever task is before you. You’re still allowing yourself to be dominated by a negative vision of the future in which you see yourself being criticized, laughed at, punished, or ridden out of town on a rail. Of course, this negative vision of the future is really a mechanism that allows you to do nothing. It's a very convenient mental tool.

I'm going to tell you how to overcome procrastination. I'm going to show you how to turn procrastination into perseverance, and if you do what I suggest, the process will be virtually painless. It involves using two very powerful principles that foster productivity and perseverance instead of passivity and procrastination.

The first principle is: Break it Down.

No matter what you're trying to accomplish, whether it's writing a book, climbing a mountain, or painting a house the key to achievement is your ability to break down the task into manageable pieces and knock them off one at one time. Focus on accomplishing what's right in front of you at this moment. Ignore what's off in the distance someplace. Substitute real-time positive thinking for negative future visualization. That's the first all- important technique for bringing an end to procrastination.

Suppose I were to ask you if you could write a four hundred-page novel. If you're like most people, that would sound like an impossible task. But suppose I ask you a different question. Suppose I ask if you can write a page and a quarter a day for one year. Do you think you could do it? Now the task is starting to seem more manageable. We're breaking down the four-hundred-page book into bite-size pieces. Even so, I suspect many people would still find the prospect intimidating. Do you know why? Writing a page and a quarter may not seem so bad, but you're being asked to look ahead one whole year. When people start to do look that far ahead, many of them automatically go into a negative mode. So let me formulate the idea of writing a book in yet another way. Let me break it down even more.

Suppose I was to ask you: can you fill up a page and a quarter with words-not for a year, not for a month, not even for a week, but just today? Don't look any further ahead than that. I believe most people would confidently declare that they could accomplish that. Of course, these would be the same people who feel totally incapable of writing a whole book.

If I said the same thing to those people tomorrow - if I told them, I don't want you to look back, and I don't want you to look ahead, I just want you to fill up a page and a quarter this very day - do you think they could do it?

One day at a time. We've all heard that phrase. That's what we're doing here. We're breaking down the time required for a major task into one-day segments, and we're breaking down the work involved in writing a four hundred-page book into page-and-a-quarter increments.

Keep this up for one year, and you'll write the book. Discipline yourself to look neither forward nor backward, and you can accomplish things you never thought you could possibly do. And it all begins with those three words: break it down.

My second technique for defeating procrastination is also only three words long. The three words are: Write it Down. We know how important writing is to goal setting. The writing you'll do for beating procrastination is very similar. Instead of focusing on the future, however, you're now going to be writing about the present just as you experience it every day. Instead of describing the things you want to do or the places you want to go, you're going to describe what you actually do with your time, and you're going to keep a written record of the places you actually go.

In other words, you're going to keep a diary of your activities. And you're going to be amazed by the distractions, detours, and downright wastes of time you engage in during the course of a day. All of these get in the way of achieving your goals. For many people, it's almost like they planned it that way, and maybe at some unconscious level they did. The great thing about keeping a time diary is that it brings all this out in the open. It forces you to see what you're actually doing... and what you're not doing.

The time diary doesn't have to be anything elaborate. Just buy a little spiral notebook that you can easily carry in your pocket. When you go to lunch, when you drive across town, when you go to the dry cleaners, when you spend some time shooting the breeze at the copying machine, make a quick note of the time you began the activity and the time it ends. Try to make this notation as soon as possible; if it's inconvenient to do it immediately, you can do it later. But you should make an entry in your time diary at least once every thirty minutes, and you should keep this up for at least a week.

Break it down. Write it down. These two techniques are very straightforward. But don't let that fool you: these are powerful and effective productivity techniques that allow you put an end to procrastination and help you get started to achieving your goals.

To Your Success,
Jim Rohn"

#161 screamfiend

• 42 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:27 PM

I meant sell the sizzle, not the steak. What will life extension DO for them? Not what IS life extension? How will people FEEL?

#162 Aegist

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:56 PM

Not what IS life extension? How will people FEEL?

Ahhh..spot on screamfiend. This is indeed what sells, and this is something we have completely failed to capture.

fact is, in order to achieve immortality the way we want, we will all necessarily be fit, healthy individuals. And although 'healthy' more often then not evokes images of tasteless food and boring exercise, 'Being healthy' is also the ideal of life everyone wishes they had. I wish I had abs, I wish I didn't get puffed so fast, i wish I could last longer, I wish I had a nice body, I wish I had more energy etc etc.

If we can associate the fact that the immortality goal is to be in perfect health indefinitely...then that could attract a whole lot more attention.

#163 screamfiend

• 42 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:01 AM

Precisely. Action is next. For example, I have asked Shannon, the author of 21st Century Kids to contact me about marketing her book. Anyone who purchases the book is one of our ilk and deserves to be referred to the website. I get rewarded with a commission (if all goes well), the author gets her cut, the Institute gets another member, and the customer gets to live forever. Win-win-win-win.

#164 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:55 PM

About 5 weeks till the flyer posting date. Any other updates or are we ready to go on it?

Probably need to start hyping it at least a couple weeks beforehand to get lots of people to post them. (just a suggestion)

#165 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:59 PM

I'm going to try my hardest to get my hands on a new printer (pretty cheap nowdays), my old one just crapped out on me, so... once I do, I'll be in business!

#166 Aegist

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:13 PM

There is still heaps to do, I really want that flash landing page, followed by an information splash page, but I am already burning the candle at all 3 ends. Maybe I can put something together this weekend...

Plus we haven't got any final designs on the flyer...but maybe dead simple is the key?

At the moment though, I really think the landing page is the most important thing. We need people who are meeting this idea for the first time to actually encounter something comprehensible. They need to understand... ImmInst's home page isn't the best thing for that unfortunately.

#167 futureofscience

• 182 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:28 AM

Any updates with what's going on?

I got reminded by the "contacting celebrities" thing (bad idea) and this seems like a much better idea.

#168 Aegist

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:45 AM

Well, we have until the 2nd of June by my own timetable. Obviously the rest of the timetable has fallen apart, but I think we can still make a move on the ultimate goal of this process.

I would still ideally like to put together a landing page and some easy to read information, but I simply don't have the time myself unfortunately. Currently I am working full time, dedicated to adding 1 bookmaker to my database everyday (http://www.surebetbookies.com : Only 200 or so bookmakers left!!!!), generally maintaining and growing SBB and SAG, applying for a PhD in the Evolution of Ageing in flies (http://www.bees.unsw...skyrussell.html) trying to write a commentary on the debate I transcribed for the Edmonton Symnposium (http://www.imminst.o...&t=12923&st=100), trying to read the first chapter of Marcus Aurelius' Meditations into an audio format for LibriVox (http://librivox.org/...opic.php?t=8279) and trying to set up my own website which adds onto and extends out from LibrVox, Papers Aloud (http://papersaloud.com/).

And all of that at once.

So, unfortunately this has slid off my radar a little. As terrible as that is, and I really should make more of an effort to see it through, since it is my own creation. But in order to do the things I want (Flash landing page, and information) I need to learn how to put together the Flash I want...which would take to much time. SO i guess I scrap that idea, and just go with simply directing people to this forum from the Flyer.

I think we should just collate the flyers we have as options, and let everyone choose their own flyer. And let every just go to town with it. Post whatever you want, as much as you want, wherever you want.

• Lurker

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:47 PM

I can try advertise it in my area. (Israel)

#170 fruser

• Guest, F@H
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:20 PM

Fly posting can get you with some hefty fines in this part of UK but I can leave a few flyers in a couple of shops in Birmingham and maybe sneak one into university when I go back to visit the friends I had before I dropped out. I really would be up for almost anything to draw attention to the cause as long as it doesn't draw too much attention to me personally.

#171 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:52 PM

I think these could be re-made into good flyers. They all hit upon the subject matter of old age and death, pique curiosity, and grab attention. If a landing page is made, as discussed earlier, it could make a seamless transition between ad, elaboration of the problem, and call to action.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edit:
Ooops, should have put in the link to all the pics:
http://www.boingboin...5/12/index.html

Edited by cnorwood, 02 July 2007 - 08:37 PM.

#172 Aegist

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:33 PM

I like it. A complete juxtaposition. Absolute youth vs old age.

#173 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:37 PM

I wonder what dots the left kid had in mind....

#174 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:08 AM

Nothing LysoSENS couldnt handle: http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Lipofuscin

#175 Grail

• Guest, F@H
  • 252 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:05 PM

*BUMP*

Sooo... we still going with this or has everyone given up? Should we wait until we have a viable landing page set up?

#176 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:58 AM

*BUMP*

Sooo... we still going with this or has everyone given up? Should we wait until we have a viable landing page set up?

It seemed like a good idea when it was just the flyer posting, but then the landing page got added, and it kind of fizzled out. Oh well, maybe someone can resurrect the idea in the future if they are willing to take control of it from start to finish.

It was a good idea, anyway, but we need to start hyping it a couple weeks before we do it (at least) in other places to get it to have the desired effect.

#177 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 07:50 AM

cnorwood, the idea to use those pictures done by children is great/awesome/fantastico!!

#178 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 07:55 AM

oh yes.......just for the record, I will be in Hong Kong from the 20th until 28th or so and then will be in Vietnam (HCM) until the 2nd.

When is the actually worldwide flyering date

#179 Aegist

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:08 AM

I think it was set as this week, but since no one has followed it up I dont think anyone has any deadlines in mind atm.

#180 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:34 AM

When is the actually worldwide flyering date

According to the first post in this thread:

27 May - 2 June : The world will be introduced to the concept of longevity, and healthy lifespan extension.

So, I guess that isn't happening, haha. It is a great idea, and things seemed to be rolling along until the landing page idea kind of stalled out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users