* * * * * 1 votes

Resveratrol for Dogs

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#31 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:47 PM

I wish I would of known about CR, supps and nutrition when my dog was younger... but he did like to eat some fruit and veggies everyday later in his life. He used to eat a lot of beans too, as well as an apple a day (cut up and not the seeds). He lived to 19 years (almost 20) though so he didn't do that bad. Damn arthritis got him in the end!

#32 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:00 AM

I wish I would of known about CR, supps and nutrition when my dog was younger...  but he did like to eat some fruit and veggies everyday later in his life. He used to eat a lot of beans too, as well as an apple a day (cut up and not the seeds).  He lived to 19 years (almost 20) though so he didn't do that bad.  Damn arthritis got him in the end!

19 years is amazing. You did a great job. You can never doubt that.
Did you give him glucosamine? I found that until I followed
the 1 gram for every 35 lbs of weight, I didn't get any results with it.
Are you going to get another dog?

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:18 AM

Those dogs are awesome, missminni! I can't stop watching the animated GIF, it's very hypnotic [spectate]

#34 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:31 AM

Those dogs are awesome, missminni! I can't stop watching the animated GIF, it's very hypnotic [spectate]

Thanks. They are gentle giants. The sweetest dispositions
and great with kids. But when it comes to making dirt,
they are awful....shed like crazy and drool too....especially
Busta. Definitely a labor of love.
If you like the animated gif, take a look at their puppy video.
Kids love to watch it too. There are a few other videos of them
as well. I love my dogs.
http://myspacetv.com...ideoid=20760658

#35 tomnook

• Life Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 06:56 PM

They are 2 great looking dogs missminni thanks for sharing the photos! - just a few months older than my bullmastiff - he will be 9 in July.
It sounds like you have their diet well sorted out!

Thanks for the information about the Glucosamine dosage - I'm giving Sam 1gm a day but he also had a 3 week course of Cetyl Myristoleate (CM) - 2 caps 3 X a day for 3 weeks and that seemed to really help him since he's been running up and down stairs since finishing the course three months ago. If he does worsen again then I'll try your suggestion of upping the Glucosamine.

I just started Sam on 200mg of resveratrol to see how it goes - he's roughly the same weight as your dogs so hopefully he will be fine with a similar dose.

Sam's a drooler too - he was born with an extra long tongue so that hasn't helped since it's rarely in his mouth - I'l post a pic when I figure out how to do that ...... and if I can remain logged into the forum for long enough!

Dave

#36 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:27 PM

They are 2 great looking dogs missminni thanks for sharing the photos! - just a few months older than my bullmastiff - he will be 9 in July.
It sounds like you have their diet well sorted out!

Thanks for the information about the Glucosamine dosage - I'm giving Sam 1gm a day but he also had a 3 week course of Cetyl Myristoleate (CM) - 2 caps 3 X a day for 3 weeks and that seemed to really help him since he's been running up and down stairs since finishing the course three months ago. If he does worsen again then I'll try your suggestion of upping the Glucosamine.

I just started Sam on 200mg of resveratrol to see how it goes - he's roughly the same weight as your dogs so hopefully he will be fine with a similar dose.

Sam's a drooler too - he was born with an extra long tongue so that hasn't helped since it's rarely in his mouth - I'l post a pic when I figure out how to do that ...... and if I can remain logged into the forum for long enough!

Dave

I just saw your post. Glad he's running up and down stairs again. It's so sad when they can't. The glucosamine is only effective at 1gram per 33 lbs of body weight. When I was giving him 1500 mg, it did nothing. The day I gave him 4 grams he was a changed doggie. I give Minni 3 g, being she is only 100 lbs. I am giving them the pure res powder now. a quarter teaspoon each a day - roughly 400 mg.
Please post a picture of drooling Sam. I love bullmastiffs. They are closely related breed to AMbulls. What color is he? Does he shed a lot? My dogs do, but I've heard that white dogs shed more than darker colors.

#37 tomnook

• Life Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:12 PM

Here are a couple of photos! Sam is brindle - darker than his sister, Daisy, who passed away in March this year - just 7 years old. The bridles do still shed plenty - the hair gets everywhere but it must be better than with one of the long haired breeds. Their mother was a red and you definitely didn't notice her hair around the place as much!
I'm keeping Sam on the 200mg of res for a couple of few weeks and will then increase it in line with you - keep us posted if you decide to decrease the dosage.
BTW, I was reading your posts about aloe and wondered if you'd done any research on Acemannon or Manapol from the aloe leaf?
I'm considering giving it to Sam as it was used in the anti-aging protocol of Lex - Dr Klatz's "wonder" dog - there seems to have been a lot of controversy about the injectable form in the past.

I just started Sam on Diamond V XPC - a few grams with his evening meal - he seemed to enjoy eating it which is a good sign... here he is at the table waiting for scraps!!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Dave

#38 sUper GeNius

• 1,501 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:16 PM

I give my toy poodle a couple of grams of t-res every evening with her apple pie...

Edited by FuLL meMbeR, 05 December 2007 - 07:17 PM.

#39 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:37 PM

Here are a couple of photos! Sam is brindle - darker than his sister, Daisy, who passed away in March this year - just 7 years old. The bridles do still shed plenty - the hair gets everywhere but it must be better than with one of the long haired breeds. Their mother was a red and you definitely didn't notice her hair around the place as much!
I'm keeping Sam on the 200mg of res for a couple of few weeks and will then increase it in line with you - keep us posted if you decide to decrease the dosage.
BTW, I was reading your posts about aloe and wondered if you'd done any research on Acemannon or Manapol from the aloe leaf?
I'm considering giving it to Sam as it was used in the anti-aging protocol of Lex - Dr Klatz's "wonder" dog - there seems to have been a lot of controversy about the injectable form in the past.

I just started Sam on Diamond V XPC - a few grams with his evening meal - he seemed to enjoy eating it which is a good sign... here he is at the table waiting for scraps!!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Dave

Oh how adorable. His tongue hangs out too. Oh he is beautiful. I love bull mastiffs. So sad about his sister.
When I got my dogs everyone told me that they wouldn't last to 11. I will prove them all wrong. What did Daisy die from?
I never really analyzed aloe before. Just ate it and had great results. That was enough for me.
I've put it in my dogs food. Busta will eat it but Minni eats around it. If I put it in the blender and mix it with, lets say, salmon, she will eat it but I don't give it to them anymore. They just get the glucosamine and the resveratrol now, and always fresh greens in their food. Dogs need
fresh leafy green stuff. If left on their own outside, they eat grass and leaves of certain plants. Especially the leaves of the chamomille plant. They love it. I have to check out the Diamond V XPC - I don't even know what it is.
As far as injecting aloe, I know they have done it experimentally with dogs and cured aids, but some woman died after having it injected but I am not sure of the circumstances. I'm not into injections. If my body can absorb it fine. If you have to shoot it through a needle. no. I'll pass. Thanks for the pics of Sam. He put a big smile on my face.

#40 blackpath

• 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:11 PM

I'd check into the green tea extract very carefully before giving it to a dog. The related family of substances caffeine, theophylline etc, but particularly theobromine is well known as a hazard to dogs. Tea polyphenol content is just too variable to trust in a situation like this.

http://en.wikipedia....omine_poisoning

Ok, Ive made a list of bookmarks of what Im going to order and give to Pingo on a daily basis. (This is from Supplements only, so far)

If theres something important missing or something which shouldnt be there (i.e- could be harmful to him) could someone please let me know, cheers ;)

Korean Ginseng
http://www.justvitam...nseng-1055.aspx

Milk Thistle
http://www.justvitam...istle-1059.aspx
CoEnzymq Q10
http://www.justvitam...-30mg-1021.aspx
MultiVitamins and Minerals
http://www.justvitam...neral-1062.aspx
Pomegranate Extract
http://www.justvitam...anate-1101.aspx
Brewers Yeast
http://www.justvitam...onate-1092.aspx

Green Tea Extract:
http://www.healthydi.....Extract~17.95

Odourless Garlic Supplement.
http://www.healthydi.....s Garlic~1.95

Selenium, A, C & E
http://www.healthydi...c... C & E~2.95

Echinacea Purpurea
http://www.healthydi.....Purpurea~2.99

#41 enzyme

• 25 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:45 PM

Hello everyone.

Ive been reading a lot of intelligent opinions on here over the past few months and must say its a great forum.

I've mainly been reading about Resveratrol and its seems an extremely interesting supplement (I take it myself).

What Id like to know is whether its a good idea to give it to my 3 year old dog?

He's half breed- doberman and german shepherd

I'd like to know whether it would provide any health benefits to him.

I guess there are lot of other dog owners on here so any opinions/info will be taken most gratefully!

Thanks, and here's to prolonging the lives of our wonderful friends ;)

Cheers.

Paul.

Hello everyone.

Ive been reading a lot of intelligent opinions on here over the past few months and must say its a great forum.

I've mainly been reading about Resveratrol and its seems an extremely interesting supplement (I take it myself).

What Id like to know is whether its a good idea to give it to my 3 year old dog?

I guess there are lot of other dog owners on here so any opinions/info will be taken most gratefully!

Thanks, and here's to prolonging the lives of our wonderful friends :p

Cheers.

Paul.

#42 enzyme

• 25 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:56 PM

Hello everyone.

Cheers.

Paul.

I would bet that resveratrol provides limited benefit in carnivores. OK dogs arn't obligate carnivores. My dog eats grass. Then he pukes. There is a message in there perhaps. Anyway, IMO the main rewards of giving plant flavenoids to dogs will be to interested suppliers in this emerging market. Actually, hmmm - the more I think about it, the more interesting it seems... Errmm. C'mon on - no it doesn't!!! Exploiting people who care for dogs is too easy & cynical/unethical/manipulative/ruthless/dishonest/predatory. Show me *real* research that shows benefit & my dog can have my resveratrol. Seriously. I'll even give him my green tea & 70% dark chocolate. Actually, I won't as I have just googled dog diet & discovered that cocoa is toxic in dogs. Grapes are too. Apparently, they have been shown to cause them renal failure. They don't get on so well with alcohol either.

I too love my dog. When my last dog died I was devastated. I blarted - & that wasn't just when I got the vets bill.

The normal habitat of C Elegans is soil compost. It feeds on bacteria and fungi that feed on mainly vegetable matter. The whole ecosystem is based on vegetable matter.

Omnivores/herbivores might be expected to adapt/evolve to maximise the potential benefit of their food supply. But dogs? Are there any evidence-based vets in here? Anywhere? Are there any studies of resveratrol effects in strict carnivores? No bull**** please. We are talking about dogs.

#43 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:35 PM

I give both my dogs Resveratrol. Have been for a while. they do great on it.

I just upped them to 1 gram a day each...they are 100 and 125 lbs each and going on 9 years, so I am
going to do everything possible to extend their lives.
In fact, I am going to stop the glucosamine now and just give them the increased dose of res.
I believe there are others here who have had excellent results giving their dog Res. too
I heard it totally cured advanced arthritis in a 9 year old wheaton terrier.

My dogs eat greens everyday. I give cilantro in their food on a daily basis, and they often have broccoli
and various vegetables along with their dog food. The only time they throw up from greens is when they
eat certain leaves, like hibiscus or thick leaves like that, but that's good for them too (the throwing up).
There are other greens they eat outside
like chammomile greens that they don't throw up from. In fact, it calms them down. They love it.

My male dog loves fruit also. ornages especially, but peaches, grapes (I read about all those foods dogs aren't supposed to eat, but
maybe because my dogs are human size they tolerate it all well) he'll eat absolutely anything. My female is a bit pickier. Just a bit.
It's really because she was the runt of the litter and eating isn't as important to her as it is to my male....who was the pick.
As you can see by this picture, he always stayed close to the food supply.

Posted Image

#44 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:51 AM

Hello everyone.

Cheers.

Paul.

I would bet that resveratrol provides limited benefit in carnivores. OK dogs arn't obligate carnivores. My dog eats grass. Then he pukes. There is a message in there perhaps. Anyway, IMO the main rewards of giving plant flavenoids to dogs will be to interested suppliers in this emerging market. Actually, hmmm - the more I think about it, the more interesting it seems... Errmm. C'mon on - no it doesn't!!! Exploiting people who care for dogs is too easy & cynical/unethical/manipulative/ruthless/dishonest/predatory. Show me *real* research that shows benefit & my dog can have my resveratrol. Seriously. I'll even give him my green tea & 70% dark chocolate. Actually, I won't as I have just googled dog diet & discovered that cocoa is toxic in dogs. Grapes are too. Apparently, they have been shown to cause them renal failure. They don't get on so well with alcohol either.

I too love my dog. When my last dog died I was devastated. I blarted - & that wasn't just when I got the vets bill.

The normal habitat of C Elegans is soil compost. It feeds on bacteria and fungi that feed on mainly vegetable matter. The whole ecosystem is based on vegetable matter.

Omnivores/herbivores might be expected to adapt/evolve to maximise the potential benefit of their food supply. But dogs? Are there any evidence-based vets in here? Anywhere? Are there any studies of resveratrol effects in strict carnivores? No bull**** please. We are talking about dogs.

The Italian study on fish extended their life span 40%. They were a carnivorous species.
My dog is acting young again, no longer bothered by arthritis. She's nine, looks three. Same for a neighbors dog. They weigh 30 pounds, get 300 mg a ay.

#45 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 04:22 AM

I have cats not dogs but the issues are the same. I have been adding 1mg of liquid deprenyl citrate to their water bowl every water change. This works out to roughly a similar low therapeutic dosage (mg/kg per animal) as the dog and rodent studies that showed an increase in lifespan. Water soluble supplements at low doses are relatively easily to get animals to comply with.

I am a little bit hesitant about dosing things that are not water soluble (and either tasteless or undetectable due to dosage) as it is hard to control the doses and intake (perhaps it is different with dogs as dogs more readily eat things, cats are picky and can spot adulterated food or water from across the room) If you have multiple animals the problems increase. For now low dose liquid deprenyl in drinking water seems to be a low cost easy to measure way of ensuring a healthier long lived pet. That and feeding an appropriate level of calories as in the minimum recommended by my vet (also ensuring the food you feed has adequate esential nutrients)

edited for grammer, spelling and clarity

Edited by edward, 13 December 2007 - 04:28 AM.

#46 enzyme

• 25 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:57 PM

Hello everyone.

Thanks, and here's to prolonging the lives of our wonderful friends :~

Cheers.

Paul.

The Italian study on fish extended their life span 40%. They were a carnivorous species.
My dog is acting young again, no longer bothered by arthritis. She's nine, looks three. Same for a neighbors dog. They weigh 30 pounds, get 300 mg a ay.

Actually, after googling for ages I cannot find any evidence to support my hunch. I did discover that Onions give dogs haemolytic anaemia. Also, I realised that I am more risk-averse about my dog than I am about myself when it comes to supps.

I think it is great that your dogs are benefitting from resveratrol.

#47 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 04:14 PM

I have cats not dogs but the issues are the same. I have been adding 1mg of liquid deprenyl citrate to their water bowl every water change. This works out to roughly a similar low therapeutic dosage (mg/kg per animal) as the dog and rodent studies that showed an increase in lifespan. Water soluble supplements at low doses are relatively easily to get animals to comply with.

I am a little bit hesitant about dosing things that are not water soluble (and either tasteless or undetectable due to dosage) as it is hard to control the doses and intake (perhaps it is different with dogs as dogs more readily eat things, cats are picky and can spot adulterated food or water from across the room) If you have multiple animals the problems increase. For now low dose liquid deprenyl in drinking water seems to be a low cost easy to measure way of ensuring a healthier long lived pet. That and feeding an appropriate level of calories as in the minimum recommended by my vet (also ensuring the food you feed has adequate esential nutrients)

edited for grammer, spelling and clarity

If you want to try res,
pure res is tasteless. no taste at all and it dissolves easily in milk. In fact when I give it to my dogs, I dissolve it in milk and sprinkle a little parmesan on top. They love parmesan cheese. When I was giving them caps that were only 100mg res in 500 mg capsules, I would just open the caps and sprinkle it into wet food like oatmeal or salmon. I would think you could mix it in tuna or something your cats love and they wouldn't notice. Of course, don't let them see you do it. :~ use the rate of 100mg for 10lbs of weight. Serve half a portion of the food first so that the cat is sure to finish it all, if you are concerned he won't finish and get the full dosage.

#48 tomnook

• Life Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 04:21 PM

These two papers might be of interest ::
>>
THE POLYPHENOLS GINKGO BILOBA EXTRACT AND
RESVERATROL AS NEUROPROTECTORS IN BRAIN AGING
OF DOGS AND CATS: A REVIEW

Out of 119 papers on resveratrol,
18 reviews and 75 animal studies were identified.
These included studies showing that resveratrol exerts
neuroprotective effects (i.e., rescue of hippocampal
primary neurons from oxidative damage and reduction of
beta-amyloid secretion), possibly through the activation
of resveratrol binding sites on neuronal membranes.(..snip..)
In conclusion, the bulk of
published data clearly indicates that these polyphenols
have neuroprotective effects.
>>
>>
Toxicokinetics of resveratrol in dogs

Four groups of four dogs per
sex were administered capsules once daily at dose levels
of 0, 200, 400, and 1000 mg resveratrol per kilogram
body weight. (..snip..)
No significant effects of treatment (anatomic and clinical
pathology, etc.) were seen in the dogs and the
no-observed-effect level was >1000 mg/kg bwt.
>>>

i.e. the 1000mg dosage relates to 45 grams (by capsule) per day for a 100lbs dog!!
200gm dosage is 9 grams per day - this was over a period of 28 days.

Resversatrol was therefore found to be well tolerated by dogs even at very high daily doses.

#49 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 04:46 PM

These two papers might be of interest
THE POLYPHENOLS GINKGO BILOBA EXTRACT AND
RESVERATROL AS NEUROPROTECTORS IN BRAIN AGING
OF DOGS AND CATS: A REVIEW
Out of 119 papers on resveratrol,
18 reviews and 75 animal studies were identified.
These included studies showing that resveratrol exerts
neuroprotective effects (i.e., rescue of hippocampal
primary neurons from oxidative damage and reduction of
beta-amyloid secretion), possibly through the activation
of resveratrol binding sites on neuronal membranes.(..snip..)
In conclusion, the bulk of
published data clearly indicates that these polyphenols
have neuroprotective effects.

Toxicokinetics of resveratrol in dogs
Four groups of four dogs per
sex were administered capsules once daily at dose levels
of 0, 200, 400, and 1000 mg resveratrol per kilogram
body weight. (..snip..)
No significant effects of treatment (anatomic and clinical
pathology, etc.) were seen in the dogs and the
no-observed-effect level was >1000 mg/kg bwt.

i.e. the 1000mg dosage relates to 45 grams (by capsule) per day for a 100lbs dog!!
200gm dosage is 9 grams per day - this was over a period of 28 days.

Resversatrol was therefore found to be well tolerated by dogs even at very high daily doses.

OMG - that's an enormous amount wow that's an expensive test.
I was under the impression that 7grams a day produced lesions on the kidneys of rats (forgive me if I didn't get that right) but
I know the 7 grams had some adverse effect on the rat but that the effect was reversed when the res was discontinued.
Do we know that by increasing the amount of res, we increase results? Does that necessarily follow?

#50 tomnook

• Life Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 06:04 PM

I guess the average rat may weigh about 1lb ? - the 7gm a day dose would equate to 700gm for a 100lbs dog!
Small wonder the rat experienced adverse effects.

The paper does give some information about absorption rates, however the research was regarding toxicity rather than anything else.

#51 Hedgehog

• 462 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:04 PM

Hi,

I'm actually in the process of creating a formulation for resveratrol that will hopefully enhance its bioavailability. It contains about 300mg of Trans-Resveratrol + some other ingredients. I could up the dosage if you want...

I'm in the process of testing it on myself and seven other volunteers to see if it does increase the bioavailability by HPLC analysis

I could make some pills that are specifically for dogs. The capsules are chicken or beef flavor. This way you wont have to feed them the Resv. Plus if you just give them straight powder it is extremely sensitive to light.

#52 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:25 PM

Hi,

I'm actually in the process of creating a formulation for resveratrol that will hopefully enhance its bioavailability. It contains about 300mg of Trans-Resveratrol + some other ingredients. I could up the dosage if you want...

I'm in the process of testing it on myself and seven other volunteers to see if it does increase the bioavailability by HPLC analysis

I could make some pills that are specifically for dogs. The capsules are chicken or beef flavor. This way you wont have to feed them the Resv. Plus if you just give them straight powder it is extremely sensitive to light.

What are you using for flavoring?

#53 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:19 PM

My dog Busta is 125 lbs. He has had an ear infection for 4 years that no antibiotic or
ear drops have been able to resolve. It is the kind of ear infection(I can't recall the name)
that they prescribe Tribrissen for. He had dark brown discharge forming in the base of his
ear and coming out his ear on a daily basis as well as dripping out his mouth in his saliva.
Very disgusting and smelly too.
My vet couldn't clear it up, no matter how many things we tried.
Keeping it clean was all we could do. Up until 4 days ago I was giving him anywhere from 400mg to 1gram of resveratrol
a day in his food for the past month. I didn't notice any result from it. 4 days ago I raised his dosage to 3 grams a day.
In the first 24 hours I noticed that the color of the discharge turned from dark brown to amber.
The brown drool from his mouth stopped entirely. Today, 4 days later, there is still a little gushy sound
at the base of the ear, but the discharge that is coming out is an amber color with some bits of
dried blood in it and is about a quarter of the amount that used to come out. It appears to be
cleaning itself out. In all the years and
all the products and antibiotics I've used. this never happened. The color of the discharge never
changed and the drool never ceased. This is very unusual. Oh, additionally I have been
rubbing dmso and resveratrol on the base of his ear on a daily basis for the past 4 days in an attempt to reduce
the swelling that has more than likely developed from the infection. I will let you all know when the gushy sound is gone.
The hi dosing began on Jan 21st.

I am also treating my 97 lb female dog Minni with hi doses of resveratrol - 5-6 grams a day for almost a week now after
a biopsy report that diagnosed her with advanced cancer. The vet gave her 6 months.
This is very devastating for me and after conferring with doctors, surgeons and oncologists about my options, I have
decided to use resveratrol as my only course of action. Right now we are dealing with the resulting seroma from the
initial surgery. I took her to the Bobst Animal Medical Center yesterday to check on the seroma and they did a
Chems Pn 1 and CBC and in-clinic cytology and said there was no sign of infection and her blood count was normal.
They drained it at my insistence, although they told me to expect it to fill up again since that is the natural course
of events before it finally re-absorbs. She is doing very well, eating well and looks great too. My only problem is keeping her
from running and playing so that the seroma can heal properly.
I fully believe she will recover and survive but of course will not know until that 6 months has passed.
I am including the biopsy report below. Right now I have to use chopped meat
to disguise the resveratrol (dissolved in milk and soaked into her Wellness brand kibbles) and I really don't want her eating that much beef. She loves liver, What dog doesn't?, but I also
don't want to give her liver three times a day. If anybody knows of natural liver flavoring that I can get, I would most
appreciate it as it would facilitate getting enough resveratrol into her.

Antech Diagnostics 1111 Marcus Avenue Lake Success NY 11042 Phone: 800-872-1001

Eastside Animal Hospital Client # 4132

Accession No. Doctor Owner Pet Name Received

NYBA01538411 MINNIE 01/08/2008

Species Breed Sex Pet Age Reported

Canine Bulldog SF 11Y 01/17/2008 03:37 PM

Test Requested Results Reference Range Units

Biopsy

Biopsy

Microscopic Description: Sections of the 4th and 5th mammary gland

are examined on 3 slides. There is a discrete, partially

encapsulated neoplasm composed of epithelial cells that form

papillary fronds within dilated ducts. The cells have abundant

eosinophilic polyhedral cytoplasm with distinct cell margins. The

nuclei are hyperchromatic with marginated, coarsely clumped

chromatin. Most cells have prominent nucleoli. There is a moderate

mitotic index. The neoplasm is infiltrating the surrounding

connective tissue. Tumor emboli can be seen within lymphatic

vessels. The samples include lymph node. There are nests of

neoplastic cells within the subcapsular sinusoids.

Microscopic Findings: Mammary adenocarcinoma, high grade.

Comment: Survival time and disease free interval of patients with

mammary adenocarcinoma is best correlated with tumor size, degree of

local invasion, nodal or distant metastasis at the time of diagnosis

[1,2]. While this neoplasm is discrete, there is local tissue and

lymphatic vascular invasion. The lymphatic vascular invasion is a

portent of metastatic disease. The prognosis is poor.

[1] Misdorp, W, et al. Prognostic factors in canine mammary cancer.

J Natl Cancer Inst. 56:779-86, 1976.

[2] Yamagami, T, et al. Prognosis for canine malignant mammary

tumors based on TNM and histologic classification. J Vet Med Sci.

58:1079-83, 1996.

David A. Gamble, DVM, PhD, DACVP

Report Notes:

R MAMMARY 4 AND 5

Edited by missminni, 24 January 2008 - 10:32 PM.

#54 Hedgehog

• 462 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:34 PM

Hi,

What are you using for flavoring?

I feed my dogs just the straight capsule with Resveratrol or add the capsule to their food. The capsule itself is chicken flavored.

#55 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:38 PM

I feed my dogs just the straight capsule with Resveratrol or add the capsule to their food. The capsule itself is chicken flavored.

Do you know what they use for flavoring and where can I order them? Do you think
it is as effective to have the powder go into the stomach undissolved? I am dissolving it first.

#56 Hedgehog

• 462 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:14 PM

Do you know what they use for flavoring and where can I order them? Do you think
it is as effective to have the powder go into the stomach undissolved? I am dissolving it first.

Good question.. I'm not sure which one is better...

Depending on how much you are giving your dog place close attention to the size

http://www.capsuline...a...7&head_id=1

Regards,

#57 sUper GeNius

• 1,501 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:16 AM

I just started giving my dog 150mg a day, for the last 4 days. Maybe it's my imagination, but he seems to be less stiff. Barreling up and down stairs. Running around the house, making quick cuts back and forth, something I don't he has done in a few years.

#58 ilanso

• 155 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:32 AM

missminnibusta (good name for a rapper, too :)): did you read my 1/14 post on yet another way to slip it past the dog-brain barrier?
http://www.imminst.o...t...&pid=218753

#59 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:34 PM

missminnibusta (good name for a rapper, too :)): did you read my 1/14 post on yet another way to slip it past the dog-brain barrier?

Yes, and thanks. I am going to continue to put in her food. I make her 3 little meals a day...small bowls consisting of a handful of kibble that is dropped into resveratol mixed with milk. I let that sit and the kibble absorbs the liquid. Then I add a little sweet potatoe, a little broccoli, and a little hamburger on top and mix it all together. Minni loves it. I can even put her antibiotics (she is on post operative antibiotics, although it is probably redundant with the res) in there. She eats every bit. At this point, every moment spent with her is precious, so hand feeding her three times a day is a pleasure. Busta's ear infection
is almost totally gone...just a little amber colored wax coming out of his ear now. It's amazing.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 ilanso

• 155 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:06 PM

Yes, and thanks. I am going to continue to put in her food. I make her 3 little meals a day...small bowls consisting of a handful of kibble that is dropped into resveratol mixed with milk. I let that sit and the kibble absorbs the liquid.

I am not sure milk is such a good idea. Most dogs are lactose intolerant and can develop diarrhea or intestinal problems even from small amounts.
That's why I use fish oil as solvent instead (plus it's good for their coat).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users