Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Intermittent Fasting

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#121 gregandbeaker

• 184 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:49 PM

Hi Lexx. Look through some of the ketosis threads here on imminst. I'm not sure how long you spend in ketosis but I have found and some studies have shown that BG levels tend rise during extended periods in ketosis. My BG will drift up in the 90's after a couple of weeks doing VLC and I need to cycle for a couple of days to "re-normalize" them.

Thank you, yes I have looked through some of those threads. How exactly do you cycle to renormalize BG? I got the glucometer only recently and it freaked me out. I thought I had diabetes. But knowing how I became hyperglycimic is not helping me. It's still a problem. How do you knock the levels down, other than cutting fat?

Exercise, as I already mentioned, bumps my BG in proportion to intensity -- another diabetic feature, shared by trained athletes. I'd like to have a better understanding of the processes involved.

Most people are insulin resistant after exercise--your body is in the mode to mobilize energy, not store it. Although CW says you need a post-workout meal I avoid eating for a couple hours afterwards precisely because I am insulin resistant after a workout.

All you need to do to get out of Ketosis is eat more carbs. Its actually difficult to stay in Ketosis for any length of time without pretty severe protein restriction to go along with the carb restriction due to neoglucogenesis. Although most of your cells can run on ketones just fine a few can't so your liver will produce glucose from protein. Eventually your body will get greedy for the glucose and your liver will produce more and more. I have no idea why glucose produced from neoglucogenesis doesn't produce the same insulin response as eating carbohydrate, but in studies done on autistic patients protein restriction was required to keep them in ketosis.

Although its perhaps not ideal for longevity BG readings in the 90's is hardly diabetic. That would correspond to an A1C of around 5.5 and you wouldn't get a diagnosis of even "borderline diabetic" until your A1C gets closer to 6.5-7. Checking your BG right after you eat or exercise is just going to scare you. Check before you eat or workout, and then two hours afterwards. If you aren't normalizing by then you may have a problem, otherwise you are just being told that your body is working correctly.

#122 mrmandrake

• 32 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:01 PM

I thought this was interesting:

Chronic Alternate-Day Fasting Results in Reduced Diastolic Compliance and Diminished Systolic Reserve in Rats

Ismayil Ahmet MD, PhD1, Ruiqian Wan PhD2, Mark P. Mattson PhD2, Edward G. Lakatta MD1 and Mark I. Talan MD, PhD1, Corresponding Author Contact Information, E-mail The Corresponding Author

Where they concluded that:

Conclusion

Chronic ADF in rats results in development of diastolic dysfunction with diminished cardiac reserve. ADF is a novel and unique experimental model of diet-induced diastolic dysfunction. The deleterious effect of ADF in rats suggests that additional studies of ADF effects on cardiovascular functions in humans are warranted.

It can be found here:
http://www.sciencedi...728af0e61645498

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users