Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Let's all hear how you keep yourself looking young

• Please log in to reply
270 replies to this topic

#1 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:05 AM

I would like to hear about ways in which the members here keep themselves looking young. I have posted my skin care regime in the Personal Regime section.

#2 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:49 AM

exercise, education, healthy eating, CR, lots of loving -- I'm not sure we can look more than a decade younger though at any point in our lives, hands -neck and such give one away...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:18 AM

I agree Shannon. I pretty much do all of the above minus CR. I may be on CR without knowing it. I'm very busy these days and sometimes do not have time to sit down and eat meals. I set up my day though so that I get at 2 very nutritious meal. I always start and end my day with a very nutritious protein shake (see Zoolander's supplement regime. On top of this my partner usually make a wonderful raw salad of cabbage, broccolli sprouts, water chesnut, cabbage, carrot, seaweed, seed and nuts, broccolli, beans and alfalfa in which I add cooked millet and oat groats.

I generally exercise 6 out of 7 days of the week. 3 days cardio (running or spinning class) and 3 days resistance training.

I'm not sure we can look more than a decade younger though at any point in our lives

I'm 36 years old and most (at least 90%) people guess me for 25 or 26 years of age so I guess I'm looking that decade younger already. ;)

hands -neck and such give one away...

I agree. The hands more so. Especially in people who have had treatments done. I know a few 50 year olds who have had cosmetic surgery but neglected their hands. It's quite a contrast when you look at their hands. I hope that this new forums can help us all maintain a younger looking person that matches our youthful spirits

#4 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:21 PM

I put lightly rub olive oil on my face and leave it for a while, then wash off with soap but some still remains and skin is really nice and soft. Then I just use some oil of olay stuff. I used to use Aloe Vera and put that on my face in the night when I had some spots, as it reduced the redness significantly and made my skin appear much cleaner and smoother. Other than that I just eat a healthy CR diet and have been very skinny all my life with never going above a bmi of 20.

The around around October 2006 (22 years old) I managed to get on a bus as a 'child' (< 15 years). Right now most people think I'm between 16 - 17 years old. But I'm actually 23.
Well you can see pictures of me growing up here:
http://www.matthewla...m/agingmatt.htm

The Olive Oil thing I got from http://en.wikipedia..../Jeanne_Calment

There is an article on olive oil and skin here
http://news.bbc.co.u...alth/743514.stm

Edited by zoolander, 23 October 2007 - 03:31 PM.

#5 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:33 PM

Matt I know that Jeanne Calment live to 122 years an all but her olive oil treatment was most likely a very old fashion technique fashioned in the early 20th century. The science of skin care has come along way since then and I could recommend a handful of other things for you to use.

#6 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:44 PM

Diet: mostly raw fruit and vegetables, along with some cooked/steamed/stir fried; minimal animal meats, some dairy, mostly kefir, yogurt, occasional egg. EPA/DHA supplements, CR x 17 years.

Exercise: addicted (aerobic, yoga, resistance training, martial arts).

Sun: avoid excessive sun exposure.

Topicals: tazarotene gel EOD topically on face. Other moisturizers intermittently.

Other: don't get enough sleep!

#7 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:14 PM

Fairly good diet, not quite CR.

Exercise.

I started using some of the newer commercial skin creams (including retinol) in the last couple of years with good results. My skin appears a little smoother and even in tone.

Trying to get better sleep at night.

I like the sunshine, but I do use large brimmed hats and sunscreens more often nowadays.

#8 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:27 PM

yay, I have posted my skincare regime now that I simply call "protect, prevent and repair" in the Personal skincare regime section. I will update it if/when I find some new amazing evidence based topical.

I hope someone stopping by will be inspired to start wearing sunscreen daily or upgrade to one with better UVA-protection. It can save more than your looks.

Besides skincare I practice mild CR (BMI 19.4) and a mostly vegan diet with lots of phytochemicals. Resistance traing with dumbbells twice a week. Some cardio weekly and daily strenous walking.

Supplements: five ortho-core, two Heliocare to prevent skin aging , 300 mg of R-Aplha lipoic acid, extra vitamin D and calcium.

Edited to add:

16 grams of EAA (but no tryptophane in this formula), 1 tablespoon of pomegranate concentrate, 2-3 grams of Creapure creatine

Will start with glucosamine 1500 mg to enhance hyaluronic acid synthesis to keep volume in face and prevent wrinkles and sagging.

Edited by fredrik, 23 October 2007 - 11:51 PM.

#9 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 06:03 PM

No xylitol? ;)

#10 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 06:16 PM

Avoid inflammatory foods, such as trans-fats, rancid/cooked vegetable oils, high sugar intake, grains, etc.

#11 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 October 2007 - 06:44 PM

No xylitol?  ;)

Well, I use NOW foods 25% toothpaste and xylitol pastilles. But I have not tried pure xylitol powder. Maybe I should add a teaspoon to my proteinshake. How much do you guys use?

I forgot to add my EAA-pomegranate-creatine shake to supplements. I keep thinking of that drink as "food".

It contains:

16 grams of EAA (but not tryptophan)

1 tablespoon of pomegranate concentrate

2-3 grams of Creapure creatine

Edited by fredrik, 23 October 2007 - 07:20 PM.

#12 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 06:54 PM

WOW I hadn't heard of Heliocare before. I did a pubmed search on the active ingrediant of heliocare, Polypodium leucotomos extract, and it turned up over 30 papers.

I'm in Australia. What's the cheapest source that anyone has seen of Heliocare??

#13 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:05 PM

WOW I hadn't heard of Heliocare before. I did a pubmed search on the active ingrediant  of heliocare, Polypodium leucotomos extract, and it turned up over 30 papers.

I'm in Australia. What's the cheapest source that anyone has seen of Heliocare??

Yeah, It is a supplement backed by some really good science. I have used it all summer. Unfortunately the european version contains 10 mg of betacarotene per capsule, which I do not want. But if I get rich (haha yeah right) I will order the much more expensive US version (same amount of PLE but no betacarotene or green tea extract).

#14 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:14 PM

It's very expensive. I don't go out in the sun often anyway. I'm an indoor person

#15 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:37 PM

Matt I know that Jeanne Calment live to 122 years an all but her olive oil treatment was most likely a very old fashion technique fashioned in the early 20th century. The science of skin care has come along way since then and I could recommend a handful of other things for you to use.

Please do !

Although I'm not that rich so as long as it's within acceptable price range!

#16 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:45 PM

I am having a great deal of success with the cream that cnorwood built. Check it out here. It's US$30 for about 2 months supply. It's a copy of another cream called Creme de la Mer which costs US$110 for half the amount

#17 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:03 PM

Please do !

Although I'm not that rich so as long as it's within acceptable price range!

You can buy a prescription retinoid cream (the only topical approved by FDA for the treatment of aging skin) online for $3.

But there is non-prescription retinoids available also (though much less effective) like retinaldehyde (brand name: Avene Eluage 0.05% or Avene Retrinal 0.1%)

Retinoids (like vitamin A) are a natural part of your skin with corresponding cell receptors and they are depleted by sunlight. Every derm I have seen interviewed said that they are using a sunscreen + retinoid to prevent aging skin.

A retinoid will increase collagen synthesis and prevent skin aging by inhibiting MMPs like collagenase and elastase, enzymes that degrade support proteins in your skin.

It will also brighten skin tone, clean out pores, prevent and treat acne and enhance hyaluronic acid synthesis that adds volume and hydration to firm the skin. If that is not the description of a miracle cream then what is?

I am not rich either. I have posted my skincare regime and I hope you can get some more tips on effective and affordable evidence based skincare here:

http://www.imminst.o...=0

Edited by fredrik, 23 October 2007 - 08:44 PM.

#18 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:14 PM

One big factor I find in how people perceive my age too is how stressed I am at any given time... or my sleeping habits. You can age before you very own eyes if you live high stressed life.

#19 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:58 PM

I find that when I smile I look younger. I think there has been some research that indicates people with a "pleasant" dosposition live longer.

#20 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:51 PM

I use glycolic acid peels as well as diamond dermabrasion.

I also use CE ferulic acid from skinceuticals which has published data supporting the efficacy of it's use.
topical Idebenone, topical ALA (K-ALA) from Gerenova research, I get facials when I can afford them, full extractions and the works.

Aside from that I'm betting good money that stuff like this is only a year or two away

http://www.cytoritx....s_overview.html

there is some research to support the aesthetic appeal of this therapy; a few weeks back I read an article on a plastic surgery website (for surgeons) [thumb] that whn fat was transplanted into different areas of the face, they noticed a pluripotent effect in that the area of transplantation also experienced a loss of wrinkles, decrease in pore size and otherwise rejuventaing effect on the skin. They propose that it was due to the adipose stem cells found in the transplanted fat.

I'll try to find the article again and post it here.

#21 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:53 PM

I also use CE ferulic acid from skinceuticals

@ $128 /30mL of serum surely there is a cheaper option.

Skinceuticals contains:
Deionized Water, Ethoxydiglycol (solvent), L-Ascorbic Acid, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin USP, Laureth-23, Alpha Tocopherol, Phenoxyethanol, Ferulic Acid, Panthenol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Triethanolamine

The hydrophillic C/ferulic serum I use contains:
Organic aloe vera juice, sea kelp bioferment, pomegranate extract, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, niacinamide, carnosine, carnitine, tetrahydrocurcuminoids, ferulic acid, sodium PCA, hyaluronic acid, hesperidin methyl chalcone, lycopene, glutathione, superoxide dismutase, phenoxyethanol (and) methylparaben (and) isopropylparaben (and) isobutylparaben (and) butylparaben

I following this with a lipophillic serum (do not use if skin to oily) containing:
Squalane and Olea Europea (olive) fruit extract, Rosa rubiginosa (rosehip) seed oil, Punica granatum (pomegranate) seed oil, Lecithin, Cholesterol Oleyl Carbonate and Cholesteryl Nanoate and Cholesteryl Chloride, Punica granatum (pomegranate) Seed Oil and Astaxanthin and Tocotrienols and Lycopene and alpha D-Tocopherol and Thioctic Acid and Lutein, Phytosterols, Ceramide-3.

30mL of each of these solutions (total 60mL) is under US$40

#22 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:14 PM

@ $128 /30mL of serum surely there is a cheaper option.

Skinceuticals contains:
Deionized Water, Ethoxydiglycol (solvent), L-Ascorbic Acid, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin USP, Laureth-23, Alpha Tocopherol, Phenoxyethanol, Ferulic Acid, Panthenol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Triethanolamine

The hydrophillic C/ferulic serum I use contains:
Organic aloe vera juice, sea kelp bioferment, pomegranate extract, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, niacinamide, carnosine, carnitine, tetrahydrocurcuminoids, ferulic acid, sodium PCA, hyaluronic acid, hesperidin methyl chalcone, lycopene, glutathione, superoxide dismutase, phenoxyethanol (and) methylparaben (and) isopropylparaben (and) isobutylparaben (and) butylparaben

I following this with a lipophillic serum (do not use if skin to oily) containing:
Squalane and Olea Europea (olive) fruit extract, Rosa rubiginosa (rosehip) seed oil, Punica granatum (pomegranate) seed oil, Lecithin, Cholesterol Oleyl Carbonate and Cholesteryl Nanoate and Cholesteryl Chloride, Punica granatum (pomegranate) Seed Oil and Astaxanthin and Tocotrienols and Lycopene and alpha D-Tocopherol and Thioctic Acid and Lutein, Phytosterols, Ceramide-3.

30mL of each of these solutions (total 60mL) is under US$40

Yes, there is a cheaper option. You can buy a pack of 6 sample vials (30 ml) for $15-25 from skincare stores on ebay.

I buy 12-24 small sample vials on ebay at a time. The biggest benefit of the mini vials is that they keep fresh, you use them up before the ascorbic acid starts to degrade into dehydroascorbic acid.

I have to say, I have tried many commercial topical treatments but nothing gives my skin the refined look that this serum does. It actually tingles for a couple of minutes when you use it. I think the immediate improvement is from the acid pH of 3.2 (an AHA effect) smoothing away dry skin and smoothing the surface.

The later improvements (after 3-9 months) could come from an increase in hydrating ceramides (ascorbic acid stimulates ceramid synthesis in skin) and pro-collagen in the dermis. Ascorbic acid is the only antioxidant that has been shown to directly increase collagen levels in skin.

I also like the anhydrous Skinmedica C Complex (10% ascorbic acid + 5% C derivative in a silicon gel) and Loreals La Roche-Posay 5% C treatments. Both companies has published studies showing a increase in collagen after skin biopsies. The Loreal studies was more carefully done with more subjects. But both are potentially biased studies of course.

Edited by fredrik, 24 October 2007 - 08:41 PM.

#23 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:17 AM

Yes, there is a cheaper option. You can buy a pack of 6 sample vials (30 ml) for $15-25 from skincare stores on ebay.

or free like I get it. ;)

Zoo, do you formulate your own cream?

I'm looking forward to the stem cell therapies coming soon, to be perfectly honest, I'm tired of potions and glycolic peels.

although it will inevitably cost a mint when it first comes out.

Fredrik, how long was it before you noticed a decent improvement from CE ferulic? I've used it for a few months now in conjunction with Retin-a cream at night and it's lookin good, my acne is going away, and my extremely oily skin is starting to become less oily.

#24 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:29 AM

Fredrik, how long was it before you noticed a decent improvement from CE ferulic? I've used it for a few months now in conjunction with Retin-a cream at night and it's lookin good, my acne is going away, and my extremely oily skin is starting to become less oily.

Did you start with the Retin-A at the same time or have you used that for a while? Because decrease in oiliness and acne can be a result of the Retin-A. It is hard to pin point when I saw a change. I mean, there´s an immediate brightening effect that comes after 2-3 days that I can´t explain...maybe the sodium hyaluronate or reflectance of the ascorbic acid itself...and then I got a smoother skin texture after a month or two. It happened gradually.

This summer I ordered a couple of vials of the Skinceuticals serum without the vitamin E. The 15 and 20% c serums with ferulic are less oily than the C+E. But I will change back now that the humidity drops.

#25 superpooper

• 190 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:06 AM

I still think high copper and low zinc is bad for your skin. I don't have any studies at the moment.

#26 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:53 PM

Speaking as one of the older (if not mature) people here, I have used a daily moisturiser and taken an extensive vitamin mineral regime since my mid-teens and I have maintained pretty good skin condition (I am now 37, nearly 38 - christ!), but it's hard to say how much is just genetics.

I find the primary factors when snap-judging someone's age are (in no particular order): Clothing, body condition, hair line/density/colour/style, skin condition, general demeanour/posture.

Clothing - easy
Body condition - easy for me and managable for everyone, #
Hair - Ha! genetics and testosterone (DHT in particular) I'm starting to get a bit grey at the sides but it's thick as a rug - styling makes a big difference, a lot of guys give up after 28..
Skin-wise I have pretty much subscribed to Fredrik's regime for the next 6 months ( SPF 50, retinol, CE F) as it all checks out and Retinol A is one of the few things on this forum that have the potential to (superficially) turn the clock back thus, relatively, keep it ticking longer.
General demeanour - tough one, a lot of people just seem to run out of fun. I know Zoo touched upon attitude and energy giving people the impression that you looked (or "seemed") younger and that's true.

So buy some retinol, sort your wardrobe out , rediscover your abs and cheer up you miserable bastards! [tung]

sentinel

#27 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:12 PM

Anyone go for the Olay Definity ads claiming skin discoloration issues "age" one more than wrinkles? Any votes for topical glucosamine?

#28 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:57 PM

soo....like I was saying.

http://www.makemeheal.com/news/?p=162

scroll down to the two women's before & after, quite dramatic If I don't say so myself.
That was achieved with localized fat injections under general but not local anesthesia. [glasses] the two women actually "look" younger, I would say by about 8-12 years. you don't achieve that with common face lifts, lser resurfacing due to the collagen breakdown that's not addressed when doing those procedures.

The doctor in the article also recieved a standing ovation from the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery while presenting this material, so I'm just guessing that its pretty significant. [thumb]

#29 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:33 PM

Posted Image

The lighting is different. She has quite a bit of make up on. Her hair is styled and colored. These are changes between the before and after photos that would make anyone look younger.

I'm not doubting that fat filling injections could make you look younger but hydrate yourself and put on a little weight and you will also look younger.

I'm not convinced that the above picture is a change worth a standing ovation

#30 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:26 AM

I put lightly rub olive oil on my face and leave it for a while, then wash off with soap but some still remains and skin is really nice and soft. Then I just use some oil of olay stuff. I used to use Aloe Vera and put that on my face in the night when I had some spots, as it reduced the redness significantly and made my skin appear much cleaner and smoother.  Other than that I just eat a healthy CR diet and have been very skinny all my life with never going above a bmi of 20.

The around around October 2006 (22 years old) I managed to get on a bus as a 'child' (< 15 years).  Right now most people think I'm between 16 - 17 years old.  But I'm actually 23.
Well you can see pictures of me growing up here:
http://www.matthewla...m/agingmatt.htm

The Olive Oil thing I got from http://en.wikipedia..../Jeanne_Calment

There is an article on olive oil and skin here
http://news.bbc.co.u...alth/743514.stm

Hah! That was me too. I had such a baby face that even when I was 23/24 people thought I was still a teenager. And then 26 happened. [lol]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users