Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Let's all hear how you keep yourself looking young

• Please log in to reply
270 replies to this topic

#31 hulahoop

• 8 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:35 AM

well, what about for rosacea? any suggestions for protecting skin from degeneration..

#32 sorellasotero

• 18 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 01:10 AM

I have very dry skin and live in the Rockies. I inherited a very light, rosy complexion from a particular line in my family, and managed not to ruin it by not smoking and not having enough patience to tan every summer. Once I used a coconut tanning butter my Hispanic cousin recommended that smelled lovely, but all that happened when I laid out on the towel was that eventually ants started walking on me. Now that I'm in my 50s I do this: I go to Vitamin Cottage and grab off the shelf a bottle of witch hazel freshener or an equal amount of rose water, and add to it: a small bottle of vegetable glycerine, and [this is optional] a pump bottle of DMAE and Hyaluronic acid serums. Those last two can be left out. The result is an extremely humectant liquid. It can go over or under other products, but alone is quite thick and I sometimes have to towel off excess. I usually use it alone.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:09 AM

Hah! That was me too. I had such a baby face that even when I was 23/24 people thought I was still a teenager. And then 26 happened.  [lol]

we'll see in 3 years! [lol] Maybe the stress of University will get to me and rapidly age me ! I reckon I'll only look around 21 or so at 30 and CRON will help me a lot, i hope!

Yes I'm obsessed with staying looking young as well as living forever [tung]

#34 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:08 AM

I create my own DIY creams -
Mild CR and fasting -
Fish oil and other supplements -
I lift weights and exercise about 5 times a week -
Organic foods -
I eat meat about twice a week -
Moisturize -
very minimal amounts of fried food and alcohol
I avoid sun exposure and will wear a sunscreen during peak hours -
Low stress approach to life (I seriously try) -

Retinoids - Which I just started using. I'm happy to report that there was absolutely no skin issues for the first 3 days. Today I just noticed a little bit of peeling near my nose and I'm going to take the day off. For some reason I think the harsh DIY's I used (accidentally and through experimentation) have actually made my face a little more durable. Then again I could be completely wrong but I really like the benefits of retinoid use. From what i've heard, read and researched, you can't really go wrong if you want to maintain a youthful appearance.

I'm currently 26 and still get asked when i'm going to be graduating. This isn't highly abnormal but I am probably in the top 5% of my age group as far as youthfulness is concerned. I'm trying to stave off the chubby, jaded, balding desk jockey look for as long as possible.

I will note that when I hit 26 I did notice that I aged more than previous years, Its the primary reason why I increased my supplement regimine and really pushed to get on retinoids.

#35 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:31 AM

Speaking as one of the older (if not mature) people here, I have used a daily moisturiser and taken an extensive vitamin mineral regime since my mid-teens and I have maintained pretty good skin condition (I am now 37, nearly 38 - christ!), but it's hard to say how much is just genetics.

I find the primary factors when snap-judging someone's age are (in no particular order): Clothing, body condition, hair line/density/colour/style, skin condition, general demeanour/posture.

Clothing - easy
Body condition - easy for me and managable for everyone, #
Hair - Ha! genetics and testosterone (DHT in particular) I'm starting to get a bit grey at the sides but it's thick as a rug - styling makes a big difference, a lot of guys give up after 28..
Skin-wise I have pretty much subscribed to Fredrik's regime for the next 6 months ( SPF 50, retinol, CE F) as it all checks out and Retinol A is one of the few things on this forum that have the potential to (superficially) turn the clock back thus, relatively, keep it ticking longer.
General demeanour - tough one, a lot of people just seem to run out of fun. I know Zoo touched upon attitude and energy giving people the impression that you looked (or "seemed") younger and that's true.

So buy some retinol, sort your wardrobe out , rediscover your abs and cheer up you miserable bastards!  [tung]

sentinel

When you see it broken down in such a manner...those really are so easy to do!

#36 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:47 AM

It' true! Sometimes you have to take a step back from your self and be a bit macro. It's all very well making a 7.3% improvement on skin elasticity but if you can't see your feet and you dress like your dad - who cares [lol]

#37 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 01:23 AM

I put lightly rub olive oil on my face and leave it for a while, then wash off with soap but some still remains and skin is really nice and soft. Then I just use some oil of olay stuff. I used to use Aloe Vera and put that on my face in the night when I had some spots, as it reduced the redness significantly and made my skin appear much cleaner and smoother. Other than that I just eat a healthy CR diet and have been very skinny all my life with never going above a bmi of 20.

The around around October 2006 (22 years old) I managed to get on a bus as a 'child' (< 15 years). Right now most people think I'm between 16 - 17 years old. But I'm actually 23.
Well you can see pictures of me growing up here:
http://www.matthewla...m/agingmatt.htm

The Olive Oil thing I got from http://en.wikipedia..../Jeanne_Calment

There is an article on olive oil and skin here
http://news.bbc.co.u...alth/743514.stm

Hah! That was me too. I had such a baby face that even when I was 23/24 people thought I was still a teenager. And then 26 happened. [lol]

Yeah, I am 25 and people still think that I am a teenager. The supps must be working!!!

#38 Alien65

• 115 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:46 AM

Thanks for the discussion on Polypodium leucotomos. I have had Psoriasis on my elbows for years and have tried everything to get rid of it.
This may be the answer? http://www.advanceda...walla_p/ohk.htm
I have ordered Kalawalla to give it a try. Will keep you posted if it works (or not).

#39 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 04:16 AM

I would like to hear about ways in which the members here keep themselves looking young.

Cutting my own hair before I'm really awake

#40 Eva Victoria

• 887 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 06:06 PM

;) Sunscreen :) with maximum UVAII-I protection, loads of antioxidants (EUK-134+Ferulic acid+NDGA); topical retinoids and Idebenone at night. 9h of sleep, trainig and eating healthy and organic (minimizing intake of oxidants).
No smokig or alcohol for me! U`r asking where I get my reservatrol intake then? From red grapejuice ;)
PS: a good haircut doesn`t harm either + trendy clothes :)

But what is the point of looking young if you don`t feel alive? :)

#41 Yearningforyears

• 230 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:26 PM

I drink strong cocoa three times daily (two heaping table spoons which I dissolve in water NOT milk). Skin looks great! Even expression lines and crows feet are smaller :D
Going to add spinach and some fruit. Then it´s forever young!

#42 javan

• 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:23 AM

I don't. I actually want to be and stay young, not only look so.

I wonder about the majority of obviously conceited (if this is the right word - vanity?) people around here.
Or are you equalling "Young look" = "Young Body"? This is what mass-media-hyped "anti-aging" products are (mostly) about. I don't think this is what you consider as anti-aging-medicine. Or am I entirely wrong, and this is only the overdose green tea for today that speaks? ;-)

Edited by javan, 26 March 2008 - 03:24 AM.

#43 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:48 AM

I can only speak for myself, but sounds like the green tea talking. :-D

The mass media hyped products that you speak of generally don't fly here. What does fly are supplements backed by scientific evidence and supporting literature. To not see your skin's health, the largest organ, as an important concern is doing oneself a great disservice. The idea of beauty creams, potions, lotions, etc of old being only for the wealthy and incredibly vain are a stereotype of the past - research and development are making products that actually can repair and prevent photodamage, thus increasing the longevity and health of your skin.

Being conceited and wanting to take care of body, inside and out, as well as your mind (many here would argue that being most important) are wholly unrelated as I see it.

I don't. I actually want to be and stay young, not only look so.

I wonder about the majority of obviously conceited (if this is the right word - vanity?) people around here.
Or are you equalling "Young look" = "Young Body"? This is what mass-media-hyped "anti-aging" products are (mostly) about. I don't think this is what you consider as anti-aging-medicine. Or am I entirely wrong, and this is only the overdose green tea for today that speaks? ;-)

#44 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:31 PM

I agree with mitkat. There are skin products out there that approach real anti-aging therapy for the largest organ of your body and they are getting better all the time. Also, there is a significant psychological factor at work for most people. If you look in the mirror and you "look" young, it can make you "feel" young, which tends to keep people happier and healthier.

#45 thughes

• 262 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:52 PM

Skin:

Philosophy, because I'm a sucker and like to try things.
Proactive because Benzoyl Peroxide works.

However, Hope in a bottle is being replaced with Skinceuticals CE+ferulic a-la E-Bay (thanks to advice in this forum by Fredrik).
Plus, I'm going to try a stronger retinol (maybe Skinceuticals again), I don't even know whats in Philosphy's boosters... maybe then I can back off the Proactive.

Everything else:

Enjoy life, get lots of sleep

- Tracy

#46 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:14 AM

IMO people grow older mentally before they do physically. The aged mindset generally kicks in when you receive your first card (usually at 21 or 22 years old) stating that you're getting old. Fucking hate those cards with a passion hence the language.

30 is another age that people fear alot as well. Once again that is just a mental thing. yes Yes fair enough people say (with some truth) that the body starts to struggle metabolically after the age of 30 but that's in the normal population which tends to age at an accelerated rate due to poor choice and environment.

I'm 36 and people generally guess my age at around 25-28. Most respond with amazement when I say 36 and ask for ID.

Anyhow....the best thing I have done to keep me looking young is to maintain a youthful mindset.

#47 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:20 AM

the best thing I have done to keep me looking young is to maintain a youthful mindset.

Umm, yeah. I tried that and it didn't work. Maybe it's easier to maintain a youthful mindset when you won the genetic lottery and happen to look ten years younger than you really are.

Best trick I've run across recently is Juvess.

#48 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:29 AM

even if you look older there is no need to accept that you're any particular age. It's up to you. You don't don't need to conform to any sort of social norm. IMO the social norm is not the optimal norm.

Renovate from the inside out

By the way.....just because I look 10 years younger than my real age doesn't mean I have good genetics. Just because I have a flawless academic record doesn't mean I'm a genius. I loathe that kind of thinking actually. It invalidates all the hard work that goes into your achievements. Not that you meant it that way niner. Of course there are geniuses and people endowed with good genes. I just ain't one of 'em

#49 NickC11

• 13 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:47 AM

Uhm, hi, I'm new and was just wondering what the abreviation CR stands for.

On topic, I wash my face often and excercise often, but haven't really formulated any fixed routines or methods yet.

#50 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 01:04 PM

Uhm, hi, I'm new and was just wondering what the abreviation CR stands for.

On topic, I wash my face often and excercise often, but haven't really formulated any fixed routines or methods yet.

Caloric Restriction. See CRON Society

#51 happy

• 103 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:52 AM

I'm 23 years old ... skin care regimen as follows:

Retin-A(every other night), 1% BHA, Dr. Bronner's soap, Coconut Oil, Drink a lot of green tea, and I also use an antioxidant serum from Paula's Choice every other night:

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone (silicone slip agents), Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (antioxidant and anti-irritant), Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidant), Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil (plant oil/antioxidant), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract (antioxidant), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (anti-irritant), Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil (plant oil/antioxidant), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil (plant oil/antioxidant), Retinol (antioxidant/cell-communicating ingredient), Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil (plant oil/antioxidant), Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Seed Oil (plant oil/antioxidant), Arctostaphylos Uva-Ursi (Bearberry) Leaf Extract (non-volatile plant extract), Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Seed Oil, Vaccinium Myrtillus (Bilberry) Seed Oil (plant oils/antioxidants), Astaxanthin, Tocotrienols (antioxidants), Tetrahydrodiferuloylmethane (curcumin/antioxidant/anti-irritant), Tetrahydromethoxycurcumin, Tetrahydrobisdemethoxycurcumin (antioxidants/anti-irritants), Bisabolol (anti-irritant from chamomile), Stearyl Methicone (silicone skin-conditioning agent), SD-alcohol 40-2 (solvent).

But most importantly, sexy time!!! "Increased production of endorphins "will make your hair shine and your skin smooth."

#52 Bghead8che

• 147 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:38 PM

I am having a great deal of success with the cream that cnorwood built. Check it out here. It's US$30 for about 2 months supply. It's a copy of another cream called Creme de la Mer which costs US$110 for half the amount

The creams looks very safe and affordable but there I don't think it will do much for wrinkles and/or sun protection if those are one's goals.

-Brian

#53 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:27 AM

I put lightly rub olive oil on my face and leave it for a while, then wash off with soap but some still remains and skin is really nice and soft. Then I just use some oil of olay stuff. I used to use Aloe Vera and put that on my face in the night when I had some spots, as it reduced the redness significantly and made my skin appear much cleaner and smoother. Other than that I just eat a healthy CR diet and have been very skinny all my life with never going above a bmi of 20.

The around around October 2006 (22 years old) I managed to get on a bus as a 'child' (< 15 years). Right now most people think I'm between 16 - 17 years old. But I'm actually 23.
Well you can see pictures of me growing up here:
http://www.matthewla...m/agingmatt.htm

The Olive Oil thing I got from http://en.wikipedia..../Jeanne_Calment

There is an article on olive oil and skin here
http://news.bbc.co.u...alth/743514.stm

Oh my god. I am amazed!!! How can I do CR?

#54 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:40 PM

There are plenty of tips on how to do CR around this forum :p

Hey I'm almost 24 now and took some pictures to add to my website. Interestingly since eating healthy some people think I look younger than I did when I was in my teens. I'm getting younger every year... [i wish :p]

Taken today
http://www.matthewla...2023y8medit.JPG
http://www.matthewla.../matt23y8m2.JPG

Edited by Matt, 23 June 2008 - 04:44 PM.

#55 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:30 PM

wow i was amazed w/ matt's june 23, 08 pic!! before seeing it, i'd have had a hard time believing a 24-year-old male w/o cosmetic surgery or drastic look-improvements would look like a baby-faced young teenager ( you can take this as a compliment) . I'm 22 and most of the time i look a couple of years older than i actually am mostly due to i don't shave that often and my aged-looking eyes especially coupled with a pair of glasses. Depending on clothes, hairstyle, expressions etc, I think I can look a bit younger or older, but my appearance appears to be in the 19 to 26 yo range. My dad looks every bit of his 47 years. my mom is 46 but still gets carded sometimes , she looks like she's in the 25-30 range. I dunno how much genetics play into this.

funny how when i was much younger i wanted to look more mature but now that i'm actually an adult, i want to look like a teenager (and not just because i want to date younger girls lol)! What I care most is how old my body really is in biological years and how many more years i have left. when i was a young child i had the illusion of immortality and that a life of 100 years would SEEM to last almost forever ... and 60yr-olds or older ppl looked mostly ancient. Old and young both have their advantages BUT if I have a choice, i'd like to be a child again. envious of matt getting on bus as a child but are you absolutely certain it's due to CR?

Edited by HYP86, 23 June 2008 - 07:50 PM.

#56 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:07 PM

Well I will give you a brief history of my life;

All my life I have going between underweight to very low normal weight. I've been active by doing Judo, Karate, boxing, football (played football everyday for 10 years+). I've always ate much smaller meals at the table, I've always been mostly vegetarian. From age 18 I started to eat healthier, but still ate bad foods too, and lost a bit of weight. BMI must have gone from 20 to 18.5 (so you could say I was CR'd not CRONd). From age 20 I started doing proper CRON and went down to BMI of 16.4 but now its back up at 17.2. At all points of my life I have looked younger than my age. I also have avoided a lot of sun in my life too.

By the way, I was like you as well... I couldn't wait to grow up and look older. People used to tease me about how young I looked, as if it was a bad thing. However now I'm slowly noticing most of my friends, majority of my younger cousins, and others are gradually over taking me in their [aging] appearance... like they're starting to look like adults and I'm going nowhere, just staying the same.

The Rhesus monkeys are looking younger in the study at Wisconsin (CR vs Ad lib pics), so I have no doubt that CR will work for me too... and others! I think much of the youthful appearance can be achieved without CR however.

Edited by Matt, 23 June 2008 - 08:13 PM.

#57 vyntager

• 120 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:58 PM

Hmm, then how old would that look like ? I can't be objective on that one, need feedback.

http://img115.images...ture0003yk1.jpg

http://img261.images...ture0002yv0.jpg

http://img127.images...002copy2qk3.jpg

(disclaimer : no, I won't shave. Ever. Shaving is evil to my skin)

#58 jackie100

• 11 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:25 AM

I find that when I smile I look younger. I think there has been some research that indicates people with a "pleasant" dosposition live longer.

Really, I actually don't smile to look younger because smiling can lead to crow's feet and wrinkles. I think part of the reason why I look younger than most people (I'm talking about no wrinkles in my skin) is cause I never smile where people who smile are more likely to get laugh lines.

Other things I do to look younger :

Use retinol cream at night (Green cream) alternated with Mama lotion
Use Skinceuticals CE Ferulic acid with sunscreen on top everyday (either Neutrogena or La Roche Posay)
Use an anti oxidant cream on top of the CE ferulic serum (clinique antioxidant cream)
exercise moderately

eating healthy, well I try but once in a while I do slip and end up eating some bad foods like In N Out burgers or pizza etc

#59 spacetime

• 191 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:52 AM

Hmm, then how old would that look like ? I can't be objective on that one, need feedback.

http://img115.images...ture0003yk1.jpg

http://img261.images...ture0002yv0.jpg

http://img127.images...002copy2qk3.jpg

(disclaimer : no, I won't shave. Ever. Shaving is evil to my skin)

Early 20s to me but if you got rid of the facial hair and changed your attire you could probably pass as a teenager. Again though it's difficult to tell from low resolution pictures.

My regimen is more geared towards repairing and preventing future damage. If it happens to provide a more youthful appearance then all the better. But so far the tazarotene has made me look older. For whatever reasons wrinkles are more pronounced especially around my eyes. Before use you could only see them when I smiled but now they visible all the time. All the trauma I took to the face as a fighter may have something to do with it though. But I use the standard fair topicals as msot here, taza, skinceuticals C+E, and daily suncreen. I'd have to sya I actually look older and worse now then when I started the topicals a couple months ago. I'll give it to the end of the year to see if there's any change.

#60 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:57 AM

vyntager looks like he's in the range of 18 to 24. I'm sure you're mature beyond your years though. you've got that look.

Edited by HYP86, 25 June 2008 - 03:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users