• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

New Imminst Forum (feature Request / Bug Report)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
183 replies to this topic

#31 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 November 2007 - 11:02 PM

Fixed the quote issues in the obesity thread. It's simply to labour intensive to check and fix all threads by hand, we can do some of the active one's as they appear.... Need program or script that changes the database directly by finding the structure and changing it.

#32 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 11:05 PM

the problem is not with any new posts or quotes. It is strictly with posts made before the upgrade (ie 99.999% of posts). There is no need to disable these functions now as they work just fine, all the old posts were imported to the new format improperly for whatever reason.

Kamil w/ Helldesign is working now to fix the quote problem (artifact of my hacking the old forum skin from a few yrs ago, which now manifest as a much bigger problem w/ the transfer over to the new forum). Kamil tested a script successfully on an earlier upgrade... and plans to have this working here soon.

#33 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 11:47 PM

Guys... look at the first post in this thread to see ongoing forum edits / list of hacks.

Keep 'em coming... we'll get this working (w/ great help from Kamil!)

#34 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 12:03 AM

Guys... look at the first post in this thread to see ongoing forum edits / list of hacks.

Keep 'em coming... we'll get this working (w/ great help from Kamil!)

all these from another thread on update wishlist kind of stuff

1) better security (no text pass)
2) glitch fixes (to numerous to list)
3) better search
4) way to filter active topic
5) automated archive of moderation
6) automated archive of deleted posts
7) attention to aesthetics
8) spell check
9) user reputation (maybe)
10) post rating
11) post / user reporting
12) auto backup
13) social networking buttons (digg, stumble, delicious, rss feedburn)
14) Live Forever suggests:
-- babble fish
-- report to mod
-- imminst.org/calenderofevents
-- imminst.org/blog official blog
-- official faq
-- country flag
-- posting rules/guidelines(Mind)
-- wysiwyg typing in post reply (Zoo)
15) standard syntax for the smilies
16) 'user online' (maybe)

I've recently decided to stay w/ Invision Board (rather than vBul) in that I'm more familiar w/ it and they are a tad more feature rich and social network friendly... having more social networking features built in.

Currently researching latest mods and hope to have a tester forum up and running soon

there is another thread made by Jay way back when I am looking for.

A blog would be good, but I can see we can just buy that from invision in the admincp. We might want to buy most of those options depending on cost. We can probably hold off for a little bit on that.

Of the list at the top compiled by Mind I think the active topics filter, and preferably the option for multiple active topics lists is a must.

#35 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 12:06 AM

as we can see a lot of what is listed above is already automatically built in to the forum, we need only turn it on or off as we see fit.

#36 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:28 AM

Thanks, Elrond... great to have this list available for everyone to take a look.

I'll move some of the suggestions into the list in Mind's first post.

Btw (as you guys can probably tell) I've really happy w/ progress that Kamil has made for us thus far.

#37 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 04:11 AM

The emoticom box is empty, when i open it, it's all white with no emoticoms inside!! My avatar image doesn't appear anymore, all i see is a white box.

Also, i found weird in some topics the discussion boxes (where people reply) sometimes get narrower and narrower (narrowing to the right) it makes reading topics harder.

#38 Neurosail

• Life Member, F@H
  • 311 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 November 2007 - 07:57 AM

1. Don't forget a "Join/ Donate" button at the top.
2. "My Friends" doesn't work. My Profile shows wing_girl as a friend, but on wing_girl's Profile it saids she has no friends....
3. The software will let you chose a Gallery Avatar, (Need better Avatars!), but it won't let you download an Avatar. Is that a firewall problem?
4. Can't download a personal photo (Firewall?)
5. Can't add more than one link [url=] in "Personal Statement" or "Interests"
6. Spell checker isn't on or not working...
7. Can't delete a post.

What is Level 3?

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the hard work. :-)

Edited by Jimmy, 23 November 2007 - 08:02 AM.

#39 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:06 AM

Quote problem should be fixed... let me know if not.

#40 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:11 AM

When editing a post that contains an embedded youtube movie, the youtube tags are expanded like the way it happened in the quote bug.
I'm not aware of any consequences since I did not want to ruin existing posts and I forgot the layout of the original youtube embedding tag's so that I'm not able to test.

Edited by brainbox, 23 November 2007 - 10:12 AM.

#41 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:54 AM

Was about to report problems you are already aware of.

However, I tried to change my e-mail, and I received no mail, so I'm still signed with an e-mail.. that doesn't really work.

#42 ilia

• Guest, Moderator
  • 614 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:31 PM

Another really small bug:

REGIONAL FORUMS HAVE DISAPPEARED COMPLETELY !

Any notice? Zoolander, Matthias, Brainbox, Mitkat?

#43 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:47 PM

Another really small bug:

REGIONAL FORUMS HAVE DISAPPEARED COMPLETELY !

Any notice? Zoolander, Matthias, Brainbox, Mitkat?

I think it's your computer only........

#44 ilia

• Guest, Moderator
  • 614 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:51 PM

No. I don't think so. I have tried to access them from several computers. Regional forums are also not in the pull down list of forums.

Do you have access to the regional forums?

#45 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:55 PM

No. I don't think so. I have tried to access them from several computers. Regional forums are also not in the pull down list of forums.

Do you have access to the regional forums?

I don't have a clue to what the intention is with the regional fora. I cannot see them either.

#46 ilia

• Guest, Moderator
  • 614 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:03 PM

Yes, I do hope some one enlightens us "in the regions" around here...!

#47 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:40 PM

Yes, I do hope some one enlightens us "in the regions" around here...!

http://www.imminst.o...p?showforum=181

Israel for you

But true, no access in a direct way.

#48 ilia

• Guest, Moderator
  • 614 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 04:01 PM

Yes, indeed. The data has not been destroyed, thanks God.
But the rout from ImmInst Forum to specific regional fora has been interrupted. There is just no "Regional Forums" link anymore, which now makes regional fora completely unusable.
I hope this link can be easily restored.

Edited by ilia, 23 November 2007 - 04:15 PM.

#49 Liquidus

• 446 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:00 PM

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the 'active topics' bar is now gone, and I have no way of knowing the URL (no record of it on my work computer). This problem exists for both IE and FireFox.

Could someone please post the link to the active topics page? It's the only page I surf to in order to follow current topics.

#50 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:11 PM

Could someone please post the link to the active topics page? It's the only page I surf to in order to follow current topics.

http://www.imminst.o...t...&lastdate=0

#51 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 08:53 PM

Added Active Topics link back to top link bar.

#52 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:15 PM

While just trying to reply to the thread on aesthetics with this statement here http://www.imminst.o...o...c=18768&hl=

On another note of the aesthetic, could we put the logo/title and quick drop down menu on the left so that we could reserve a portion of the right hand side of the large, now empty banner for a high paying sponsor with a discrete but appropriate high visibility ad?

I used the fast reply mode and routinely got kicked off the site and had my post blocked. On the plus side the actual text was saved by the software in a safety feature that is a real plus for members use.

I have since gone back and was able after re logging in three times to get the post entered.

#53 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:24 PM

Ahhh... the signatures... where are they? They are no longer posted with the posts.

#54 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:35 PM

Ahhh... the signatures... where are they? They are no longer posted with the posts.

They still were there yesterday....

Am I the only one that has to login all the time? I've got quite normal cookie setting, didn't change them lately...

Edited by brainbox, 25 November 2007 - 06:36 PM.

#55 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:07 PM

Am I the only one that has to login all the time? I've got quite normal cookie setting, didn't change them lately...

Yup.

And no, I keep login in each time too, when it's set on automatically...

#56 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:15 PM

Yup.

Same here! Ever time I reopen imminst I have to keep logging in.

Plus my avatar, personal picture and signature won't show either!

Somebody help me! :tung:

Edited by kostas, 25 November 2007 - 07:16 PM.

#57 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:50 PM

Yup.

Same here! Ever time I reopen imminst I have to keep logging in.

Plus my avatar, personal picture and signature won't show either!

Somebody help me! :tung:

Now all these are known glitches, they work on it. Worry not Kostas ;]

#58 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:21 PM

The "View New Posts" link has gone and been replaced by "Last Ten".

The "View new Posts" showed new posts that you had not veiwed yet. This is much > "Last Ten"

#59 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:14 AM

Yep, there's definitely more going on than just display handling of the database contents, the last post here is completely screwed.
Anyway, it was a quite direct and even brutal and demagogue argument against Eliah's position in this discussion which I wanted to apologize for, so not bad after all it did not make the transition. But it's a major bug.

I stopped trying to correct the traditional quote bug, just kept on making it worse before....

that stuff is there, but smashed out of view, and it is a result of mishandling of old database content. All the posts in that thread were made before the transition (and also everything added to that already mangled thread will also be smashed, but there are no problems with new threads.

this is a result of everything the old database read as [ quote] being translated into "<!--QuoteBegin--"name"----></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE "name"</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->"

That code you see is what is causing all of the problems. We need a macro that goes through and changes all that stuff back to "[ quote]", and the problem will go away.

This is probably due to some hacks we had in the old forum software regarding the quote function.

I'm not sure to what extent the problem is a failure of the upgrade and to what extent it is a result of hacks. But yes, there were hacks I put in place to try to fix bugs in the old invision software, and those hacks were probably not handled well by the upgrade process.

As for post counts being off, there's a possibility that data was lost, but we should also consider a more mundane explanation: post counts were recalculated, which means that all your deleted posts would no longer count towards your post count. Notice that if you delete a post, or indeed an entire thread with multiple posts, your post count does not decrease. When the forum stats were recalculated after the upgrade, almost everyone should have lost a few posts, or a few hundred for more active and long-term members.

#60 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:18 AM

Zoo, Bruce must have changed it when he put the Active Topics button back in the drop down.

I have two questions;

First what happened to videos?

I finally have the command for inserting videos into the post memorized and now nothing works. IS there a new method or do videos no longer get embedded?

And what happened to all the videos that were here before?

The second point is one for navs.

I deleted a post by mistake and I found it in the trashcan but when I tried to put it back I found the commands are not particularly functional. I was expecting a window to pop asking for a url to merge or move to and nothing happened. What is the proper approach now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users