* * * * * 6 votes

Resveratrol Side Effects, good and bad

• Please log in to reply
421 replies to this topic

#271 davidd

• Guest, F@H
  • 328 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:11 PM

So, the mice were only put on the treadmill the day before the test, and then the day of the test. They were not on it prior to this.

Ah, nice information. Thank you. One day before the test, for 10 minutes, probably didn't create a lot of extra/big mitochondria. That was my main concern -- that they might have been running marathons every day of their life before the test. The activity in the cage wasn't as much of a concern for me, but it is good to know that the resveratrol fed mice were *less* active. I guess the results show that mice that exercise less and take resveratrol can run further than mice that exercise more and don't take resveratrol. So all the people reading this can stop exercising and take resveratrol. *Grins* I'm kidding, for those who are humor impaired. ;)

David

#272 geddarkstorm

• 191 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:41 PM

David,

Again, they were paired controls. That means the controls went through the exact same regiment. If exercise increased VO2 max, then you would have seen it in the controls, and there wouldn't have been a doubling of endurance seen in the resveratrol given mice relative to controls. That's why it doesn't matter, that's why you have controls, which factor in all those variables and allow only the one you are varying to be tested. Only the inclusion or absence of resveratrol was different between the paired groups of mice. Given this was also reproducible, and happened in all feeding groups, it's a real effect, and meets all the criteria of science.

What you are saying is true *if* they compared the controls to another set of controls that were not trained on the treadmills and did not exercise at all. Exercise is the confounding variable that is not being taken into account. ;) Or more precisely, the combination of exercise and resveratrol, which would be a special type of confounding, where two of the independent variables might be additive or multiplicitive in nature. In this case, we already know that one of the independent variables (exercise) causes mitochondrial biogenesis (dependent variable) all by itself. We don't know what resveratrol does all by itself (from this study anyway). We only know how one set of mice that underwent some level of exercise (still not 100% sure on the amount) compared to another set that exercised *and* consumed resveratrol.

It is theoretically possible that another study could show mice that are confined to absolutely no movement do not show mitochondrial biogenesis, even if they are given resveratrol. I don't think the odds are extremely high that this would happen, but I do still wonder how much exercise adds to the total biogenesis effect of resveratrol.

Why do I care? Because it may give us insights into whether people need to exercise in order to get the full benefits of resveratrol. Of course, we still don't know if mitochondria produced through resveratrol alone (no exercise) convey the same health benefits as those produced through a combination of exercise (which probably has other, non-mitochondrial benefits) and resveratrol.

To take this to another extreme, you could probably show that food is another composite, confounding variable. Feed a mouse food and he lives 300 days. Feed a mouse food and resveratrol and he lives 450 days. Feed a mouse only resveratrol and he lives 15 days. It takes food *and* resveratrol to allow the mouse to live a long time.

EDIT: Oh, missed your last question. Actually, the resveratrol mice on a high fat diet had significantly less locomotive activity in their cages on a normal basis than the mice not given resveratrol, though they did not have significantly less "rears" than controls. Also, they did not differ significantly in their activities or routines from the controls (went to the same locations as frequently, stayed in the light the same amount of time, etc).

Hmm....how could they (resveratrol fed mice) have significantly less locomotive activity, yet they did not differ significantly in their activities/routines? Where were the resveratrol mice partaking in this extra locomotive activity, outside their daily routines? Did they get a periodic vaction? :)

David

Your points are interesting, but you misunderstand. You do not have to compare the controls to another set of controls, resveratrol was the only variable and the phenotypic factors of the mouse are compare to the controls, so you get a relative difference that can only be due to the resveratrol inclusion. If resveratrol is enhancing other factors or not, other studies can elucidate more, but the fact stands it was the resveratrol that gave the effect. That's how science works, that's the foundation of it. This isn't theory, this is the scientific method itself. The data is absolutely clear.

Now, if you want to see if exercise plus resveratrol has different effects than no exercise plus resveratrol, that's a whole other study. Again, that would require a completely new, different, and controlled in a completely different way, study. But, on a practical note, since everyone alive moves, and the mice were not exercised, only acclimated the day before the test, and then the test, means this is a relevant study to the average, non-exercised human life.

You can also easily keep the same behavioral routines while having significantly less spontaneous locomotive activity; for instance, two mice could be in the light area of the cage the same amount of time, one can sit there more, while the other wanders back and forth or in a circle, or fidgets - see? The effect was seen mostly at the start of the night cycle, but there was no effect on the circadian rhythm of the mice (the difference between day and night activity was not changed, nor the patterns of said activity). If you don't get what I mean, you need to read the paper itself, these are fundamental, standardized, testing protocols and categories of measurement, and I don't have time to explain them fully to you, I'm sorry.

Edited by geddarkstorm, 13 January 2009 - 07:52 PM.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#273 geddarkstorm

• 191 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:48 PM

So, the mice were only put on the treadmill the day before the test, and then the day of the test. They were not on it prior to this.

Ah, nice information. Thank you. One day before the test, for 10 minutes, probably didn't create a lot of extra/big mitochondria. That was my main concern -- that they might have been running marathons every day of their life before the test. The activity in the cage wasn't as much of a concern for me, but it is good to know that the resveratrol fed mice were *less* active. I guess the results show that mice that exercise less and take resveratrol can run further than mice that exercise more and don't take resveratrol. So all the people reading this can stop exercising and take resveratrol. *Grins* I'm kidding, for those who are humor impaired. ;)

David

Actually, yes. :) You are correct, even if you are kidding.

Moreover, the mechanistic pathway that resveratrol is causing all this is known - activation of Sirt1 and then PGC-1alpha. PGC-1alpha is a master regulator of mitochondrial biosynthesis. It's activation leads to increased amounts of of mitochondria and mitochondrial activity. It can be stimulated through stresses like calorie restriction and exercise to varying degrees. Resveratrol stimulates it extensively in these mice, leading to much higher amounts and sizes of mitochondria, from which increased muscle strength and endurance is causally linked. No other factors are needed, since resveratrol is acting in a direct, molecular, mechanistic way (relieving inhibition of Sirt1 activity by niacinamide, more specifically).

However, while mitochondria and oxidative capacity, motor control and coordination all increase, muscle mass won't without exercise :). Still, this is one reason why resveratrol is so amazing - question is what levels of it are necessary to give the same effects in humans?

#274 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:48 PM

My own experience using a Computrainer cycling ergonometer two years ago, on a daily dose ranging from 1 to 3 grams, was a 10% increase in maximum power output over a trained base-line, and better performance than I'd had with a similar level of training in the past.

Do you think you could achieve this level of maximum power output if you trained longer/harder, or do you think the resveratrol is allowing you to achieve a level that you otherwise could not achieve, no matter how you prolonged/increased your training?

Thanks again,
David

I couldn't train enough (time constraints, and a chronic injury which limits peak efforts) but even if I could, I do not think I could match it.
Another factor: heavy training can result in injury. If less training is needed, chances of injury are reduced, so performance attained will be greater.

#275 davidd

• Guest, F@H
  • 328 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:45 PM

My own experience using a Computrainer cycling ergonometer two years ago, on a daily dose ranging from 1 to 3 grams, was a 10% increase in maximum power output over a trained base-line, and better performance than I'd had with a similar level of training in the past.

Do you think you could achieve this level of maximum power output if you trained longer/harder, or do you think the resveratrol is allowing you to achieve a level that you otherwise could not achieve, no matter how you prolonged/increased your training?

Thanks again,
David

I couldn't train enough (time constraints, and a chronic injury which limits peak efforts) but even if I could, I do not think I could match it.
Another factor: heavy training can result in injury. If less training is needed, chances of injury are reduced, so performance attained will be greater.

Good points. So, the answer to my question is that you really do feel it was a performance enhancer for you.

The other points are very good. To me, they point out the following:

Like a person who takes vitamins to fill gaps in nutrition from their food diet, resveratrol could fill gaps in an exercise routine (whether those gaps are due to old age, injury, schedule, etc.).

I could see this being used by athletes in the off season to give their bodies a break, yet not deteriorate too much with respect to mitochondrial density. They could then start the next season ahead of the pack. Or even on a shorter time frame, a long distance runner/biker could rest up after a race without worrying about the lack of exercise quite as much. It would give their muscle tears time to heal, but their cardiovascular fitness may not degrade as much. Of course, there is still the aspect of capillary density -- not sure how that would react to the downtime.

Secondly, exercise will mainly affect the mitochondria in the muscle cells being exercised. Resveratrol may affect all sorts of cells that aren't being worked. This may not be needed for performance enhancement of a particular competition (running performance, for instance, wouldn't be as dependent on chest/back/arm mitochondria), but it may lead to overall better health for the body.

Have you done any trial and error on how much resveratrol is needed to achieve your 10% improvement?

David

#276 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:07 AM

Thanks again,
David

Good points. So, the answer to my question is that you really do feel it was a performance enhancer for you.

The other points are very good. To me, they point out the following:

Like a person who takes vitamins to fill gaps in nutrition from their food diet, resveratrol could fill gaps in an exercise routine (whether those gaps are due to old age, injury, schedule, etc.).

I could see this being used by athletes in the off season to give their bodies a break, yet not deteriorate too much with respect to mitochondrial density. They could then start the next season ahead of the pack. Or even on a shorter time frame, a long distance runner/biker could rest up after a race without worrying about the lack of exercise quite as much. It would give their muscle tears time to heal, but their cardiovascular fitness may not degrade as much. Of course, there is still the aspect of capillary density -- not sure how that would react to the downtime.

Secondly, exercise will mainly affect the mitochondria in the muscle cells being exercised. Resveratrol may affect all sorts of cells that aren't being worked. This may not be needed for performance enhancement of a particular competition (running performance, for instance, wouldn't be as dependent on chest/back/arm mitochondria), but it may lead to overall better health for the body.

Have you done any trial and error on how much resveratrol is needed to achieve your 10% improvement?

David

I did not see much effect as I increased dose past 1 gram; at 2 grams it ws noticeable, 2.5 to 3 seemed to max out the effect for me. Others may have different experiences, there is likely variability in response to genetic differences in enzyme efficiency.

Curiously, I've found I need less to maintain the effects after another year; 1.2 to 1.6 grams is enough for me. If it decreases further I'll report.

#277 davidd

• Guest, F@H
  • 328 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:05 AM

David

I did not see much effect as I increased dose past 1 gram; at 2 grams it ws noticeable, 2.5 to 3 seemed to max out the effect for me. Others may have different experiences, there is likely variability in response to genetic differences in enzyme efficiency.

Curiously, I've found I need less to maintain the effects after another year; 1.2 to 1.6 grams is enough for me. If it decreases further I'll report.

How long has it been since you went from 2-3 grams to 1.2 to 1.6 grams? I'm guessing the mitochondria won't die over night. And maybe the lesser dose is enough to keep them alive, but not to create them in the first place? Or maybe it just took a while to create them and you noticed that happening at the same time as you reached 2.5-3, but would have reached it even at a lower dose??

I'll have to find that human study again and see if they mention anything about this type of thing. They did biopsies, if I remember correctly. Do you have that full study paper?

David

#278 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:21 AM

I'm a cyclist and I have had similar experiences with resveratrol and exercise as Maxwatt. I had surgery for a torn rotator cuff in September due to a bone spur that has been building up for years. This kept me off the bike completely for 11 weeks. I basically did no exercise for that entire period (except a 4 or 5 times on a stair climber). When I returned to cycling I was very surprised at how much strength I had maintained. Within a few rides I was out climbing my riding partners that had been riding continuously during my off time. The only weak spots I found was a reduced ability to do long rides at high power levels and the reduced ability after riding hard the day before (longer recovery times). My friends were more then a bit surprised at my fitness level. I was taking about 1.5 to 2 grams a day with milk. My problem is I'm having a very slow recovery from my rotator cuff injury. My range of motion is less most have at this point. My Physical therapist (a Doctorate) said this is likely from healing too fast. Something about building up collagen around the injury too quickly? I stopped taking Res this week to see if it helps. I don't know if this is somehow related to problems some others have been having with tendons.

#279 davidd

• Guest, F@H
  • 328 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:12 PM

I'm a cyclist and I have had similar experiences with resveratrol and exercise as Maxwatt. I had surgery for a torn rotator cuff in September due to a bone spur that has been building up for years. This kept me off the bike completely for 11 weeks. I basically did no exercise for that entire period (except a 4 or 5 times on a stair climber). When I returned to cycling I was very surprised at how much strength I had maintained. Within a few rides I was out climbing my riding partners that had been riding continuously during my off time. The only weak spots I found was a reduced ability to do long rides at high power levels and the reduced ability after riding hard the day before (longer recovery times). My friends were more then a bit surprised at my fitness level. I was taking about 1.5 to 2 grams a day with milk. My problem is I'm having a very slow recovery from my rotator cuff injury. My range of motion is less most have at this point. My Physical therapist (a Doctorate) said this is likely from healing too fast. Something about building up collagen around the injury too quickly? I stopped taking Res this week to see if it helps. I don't know if this is somehow related to problems some others have been having with tendons.

Thanks for sharing, velopismo. Good info.

Sorry to hear about the rotator cuff recovery issues. It might be a little late, but bromelain comes to mind. Bromelain and quercetin combo would be good for anti-inflammatory, but if you don't like the possible risk of quercetin interfering with resveratrol, then bromelain alone could be used.

http://www.diagnose-...at/T195469.html
Bromelain is found in pineapple and contains a proteolytic enzyme with the ability to break down or dissolve proteins. This mechanism of action can be helpful in chronic wounds or wounds having too much scar tissue. According to the PDR for Nutritional Supplements [2001, p. 72], bromelain speeds up healing time after surgical procedures, shows positive effects in the treatment of athletic injuries, and in at least one study has reduced swelling and pain from injuries of the musculoskeletal system.

David

#280 joe57777

• 74 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:04 AM

I am a 51 yr-old healthy male, 5'6" about 165 lbs. What I am looking for from Resveratrol is similar to what HGH has promised through injections (that I never tried) which are: weight loss through decreased body fat and more lean muscle mass; energy gain; fading wrinkles; thicker skin, etc... My goal is not only to live longer, but to also to attract younger women and thus need to look younger along with added stamina, sex-drive, and sexual performance etc... However, I need to get rid of my mild tennis elbow in both arms instead of intensifying it if possible. That was the only negative for me besides the diarrhea associated only in the 50% varriety.

I am optimistic when I read all of the positive results from many people taking the more pure 99% form. However, I did not hear anybody mention looking younger with less wrinkles etc... But my questions are: I have seen a post that has suggested to start a dose of 500mg per day. (would that be 2 doses of 250mg's taken at breakfast and Dinner?) and then increase to 1 gram the following week and hold there? (I assume that I will need to buy a small scale to weigh out the powder)?

Also, I was curious if I should take a multi-vitamin with chelated minerals? I haven't been taking one. In addition, I was wondering if I should take a non-diarrhea inducing dose of Amodin because I like the idea of it's anti-colon and anti-prostate cancer claims. I am also taking a beta blocker for enlarged prostate but I believe that another poster also indicated that he was taking one too while on Resveratrol.

Lastly, what is anyone's opinion on Clioquinol which seems to also have "anti-aging properties in mice"? Maybe it can be taken in conjunction with Resveratrol? Please tell me if after reading some quotes from the artcle that I have listed below, what anyone's early opinion is and or what are the possible potential of taking this drug with or without Resveratrol?

"Clioquinol, an 80-year old drug once used to treat diarrhea and other gastrointestinal disorders, inhibits action of the CLK1 aging gene, may reverse Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and Huntington's diseases."

"According to Dr. Siegfried Hekimi and colleagues at McGill's Department of Biology, clioquinol acts directly on a protein called CLK-1, often informally called "clock-1," and might slow down the aging process"

"Clioquinol is a very powerful inhibitor of clock-1," explained Hekimi, McGill's Strathcona Chair of Zoology and Robert Archibald & Catherine Louise Campbell Chair in Developmental Biology. "Because clock-1 affects longevity in invertebrates and mice, and because we're talking about three age-dependent neurodegenerative diseases, we hypothesize that clioquinol affects them by slowing down the rate of aging."

"The exact mechanism of how clioquinol inhibits CLK-1 is still under investigation, Hekimi said. "One possibility is that metals are involved as clioquinol is a metal chelator," he explained. Chelation is a type of binding to metal ions and is often used to treat heavy metal poisoning."

"Hekimi is optimistic but cautious when asked whether clioquinol could eventually become an anti-aging treatment."

"The drug affects a gene which when inhibited can slow down aging," he said. "The implication is that we can change the rate of aging. This might be why clioquinol is able to work on this diversity of diseases that are all age-dependent."

Please advise,

Thanks,

Joe

#281 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:49 PM

I am a 51 yr-old healthy male, 5'6" about 165 lbs. What I am looking for from Resveratrol is similar to what HGH has promised through injections (that I never tried) which are: weight loss through decreased body fat and more lean muscle mass; energy gain; fading wrinkles; thicker skin, etc... My goal is not only to live longer, but to also to attract younger women and thus need to look younger along with added stamina, sex-drive, and sexual performance etc... However, I need to get rid of my mild tennis elbow in both arms instead of intensifying it if possible. That was the only negative for me besides the diarrhea associated only in the 50% varriety.

Some batches of 98% resveratrol contain enough emodin to to induce diarrhea when large amounts are taken. 30 mg of emodin will induce diarrhea for many people.Diarrhea can occur from pure resveratrol itself, but it takes a lot more. Individual sensitivity varies a good deal.

I am optimistic when I read all of the positive results from many people taking the more pure 99% form. However, I did not hear anybody mention looking younger with less wrinkles etc... But my questions are: I have seen a post that has suggested to start a dose of 500mg per day. (would that be 2 doses of 250mg's taken at breakfast and Dinner?) and then increase to 1 gram the following week and hold there? (I assume that I will need to buy a small scale to weigh out the powder)?

At least initially you'll need a scale. But each batch of resveratrol is consistent as to density. I found 1/4 tsp of the powder I use consistently weighs within 10% of 400 grams. You just need to recalibrate for a new batch. I take a single dose in the evening, and occasional breaks. Currently I take 1.6 grams, though I have taken twice this at times. Others have different regimens. Starting low and ramping up the dose, observing any effects, isa good idea for any supplement you are unfamiliar with.

Also, I was curious if I should take a multi-vitamin with chelated minerals? I haven't been taking one. In addition, I was wondering if I should take a non-diarrhea inducing dose of Amodin because I like the idea of it's anti-colon and anti-prostate cancer claims. I am also taking a beta blocker for enlarged prostate but I believe that another poster also indicated that he was taking one too while on Resveratrol.

It depends. There are various food calculators on the web that calculate how much vitamins and minerals you are getting from your diet, given several days' menus. Some people with atypical enzymes may need far more than the RDA for certain B vitamins, while others such as myself experience negative mood swings with high doses of B1 and B2. Overly large amounts of minerals can be counterproductive. Except for Calcium and Magnesium, it's unlikely to have a deficiency, and even those two can be overdosed. If you eat sea food with any regularity, you should be getting all the trace minerals you need. Most multis contain the wrong form of vitamins A and E. Beta carotene for A is not as good as A, and that can be overdosed. Beta carotene was associate wit increased death rates in smokers in one study. Other carotenes are better for you. The E in multis is alpha tocopheol, which drives down the serum levels of gamma tocopherol which is thought to negate the vitamin's benefits. Mixed tocopherols that are high in Gamma E are available, but the dose may be too high. The amount of vitamin D in a multi is probably way too low by current thinking, and is the wrong form: D2 (or ergocalciferol) instead of D3 (or cholecalciferol). The topic should really be discussed in the Supplements forum, rather than here, but if you need such a supplement, you will need it whether or not you take resveratrol.

I would not take emodin as a supplement. There are other ways to protect against colon cancer. Resveratrol is said to to this, and certain foods -- salads, beans -- are associated with a reduced risk. So are curries, probably due to the turmeric in them. Turmeric (Curcumin) would be a more worth-while supplement than Emodin. (I assume hat's what you meant by "Amodin".)

Lastly, what is anyone's opinion on Clioquinol which seems to also have "anti-aging properties in mice"? Maybe it can be taken in conjunction with Resveratrol? Please tell me if after reading some quotes from the artcle that I have listed below, what anyone's early opinion is and or what are the possible potential of taking this drug with or without Resveratrol?

"Clioquinol, an 80-year old drug once used to treat diarrhea and other gastrointestinal disorders, inhibits action of the CLK1 aging gene, may reverse Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and Huntington's diseases."

The side effects of this drug probably make it a bad idea.

"According to Dr. Siegfried Hekimi and colleagues at McGill's Department of Biology, clioquinol acts directly on a protein called CLK-1, often informally called "clock-1," and might slow down the aging process"

"Clioquinol is a very powerful inhibitor of clock-1," explained Hekimi, McGill's Strathcona Chair of Zoology and Robert Archibald & Catherine Louise Campbell Chair in Developmental Biology. "Because clock-1 affects longevity in invertebrates and mice, and because we're talking about three age-dependent neurodegenerative diseases, we hypothesize that clioquinol affects them by slowing down the rate of aging."

"The exact mechanism of how clioquinol inhibits CLK-1 is still under investigation, Hekimi said. "One possibility is that metals are involved as clioquinol is a metal chelator," he explained. Chelation is a type of binding to metal ions and is often used to treat heavy metal poisoning."

"Hekimi is optimistic but cautious when asked whether clioquinol could eventually become an anti-aging treatment."

"The drug affects a gene which when inhibited can slow down aging," he said. "The implication is that we can change the rate of aging. This might be why clioquinol is able to work on this diversity of diseases that are all age-dependent."

Please advise,

Thanks,

Joe

Edited by maxwatt, 19 January 2009 - 04:09 AM.

#282 Stefanovic

• 300 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:46 AM

Have been taking 2 G for several months now. No more "crawling out of my skin" with Paxil anymore. The anxiety was determined to have a different cause, is being successfully treated.

More anecdotal reports from me.

1. I think some of my facial hair went black, from grey. Not the hair on my head though. Weird thing is though, some hair on my face that NEVER was black, (was reddish,) has become black!

2. In one of my early posts here, I mentioned that I had had symptoms of MS. I was controlling them with 3-4 grams of daily curcumin. At that time, if I discontinued the curcumin for a week or so, the symptoms would come back. I have noticed that resveratrol controls the symptoms just as well, if not better. Probably due to this:

http://7thspace.com/...adipocytes.html

3. I think I am having much less gingivitis.

If the hair that was reddish once turns black, it means that it has an impact on hair pigmentation. I wonder if a topical or an oral combo could effect all hair? Any ideas on how to start with this?

#283 sagecucumber

• 32 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:49 PM

You can put another down for increased sex drive. (300 mg, 98%, AM, buccal)

Also (and sorry if this is too graphic for the etiquette of this site) I think I have had an improved attitude toward sex since I've been taking resveratrol. Specifically, in the past, if the wife performed oral on me, after I'd say 'thanks honey, night night'. Now I'm perfectly willing to return the favor. I think this is different from sex drive since I have just climaxed. It's a different attitude immediately after climax. Thoughts?

#284 handson

• 1 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:10 AM

This is to collect and summarize anecdotal resveratrol reports. I'll try to modify this top post as people post their experience in this thread. Please make posts as brief as possible and follow the format below. Please look for your name in the list below and post to make a change. A change in dosage means a new entry. A relatively close variation in dosing should be averaged to one number. Please delete this list from your message when posting a reply.

People reporting: 29

Benefits:
improved energy/endurance: 13
improved mood: 10
decreased appetite/weight loss: 5
improved hair growth: 5 maybe's
decreased OsteoArthritis (OA): 3
decreased coffee: 2
decreased non-OA pains: 1
require less sleep: 1
increased sex drive: 1

Problems:
increased tendinitis: 6
increased non arthritis, non tendinitis pains: 2
increased obsessive: 2
increased RA arthritis: 1
increased aggression: 1
increased jittery: 2 at beginning (supposedly only on 50%)
laxative: 2 at beginning (supposedly only on 50%)

Please Post in this Format:
name, RESV in g/day, purity, summary of effects

alterego, 0.2,, no RA problems, better mood
alterego, 1.2, 99%, exacerbated rheumatoid arthritis, best mood
anthony_loera,2,99%,improved mood,attitude,well being, recovery, normal (revgenetics supplier)
bixbyte,1,,more hair and nail growth
drmz, 0.6,, knees and ankles
edward, 1,, tennis elbow (increased tennis playing)
edward, 2.3,, no tennis=no tenniselbow
enzyme, 0.6,, hamstring tendinitis
eternalone, 0.3,, improved energy, loss of desire for alcohol, appetite suppressant
fearfrost, 0.5,, quercetin definite energy boost
full_membr, 2,,"crawling out of my skin" with paxil for a day or two when upping the dose from 1 g/d. settled back to 1.5
health_nutty, 0.4,, improved mood and energy, definite appetite suppressant
kenj, 1.1, 99%, achilles tendinitis (run 30-40 mins)
makoss, 0.5,, jolt of energy, appetite suppressant
markymark, 0.225,25%, more energy
matt, ,, ankle tendinitis
maxwatt, 3,, well being and increased energy that returns to baseline after awhile, fewer colds, less arthritis
missminni, 1.75,98%,no more lower back pain from sitting, better knees, cured morton's nueroma, better mood, more agile
missminni_dad,,,improved OA
proteomist, 0.5, 50%, stimulant and laxative effects that subsided
quarter, 0.5, 50%, achilles tendinitis (high impact sprint training)
rhc124, 1.2, 50%, hip pain (worked wonders for my depression and anxiety)
scorpe, 0.8,, fewer colds, less knee pain, increased sex drive
shadowrun, 0.2,, in morning imrpoved energy and alertness, slight headache...will not take at night
stephe_b,2,,back pain, between shoulder blades
tayo,2,,nothing reported, weight lifter experimenting with 5g/d
tintinet, 5, 99%, tennis elbow, hair, "due to playing guitar obsessively" "persistent buoyant mood and general sense of robust physical and mental wellness", decreased appetite, less sleep needed
velopismo, 2.25,98%,increased endurance and power output (road cycling as measured by a powertap), general feeling of well being, aggression, reduced body weight set-point 4%, possible knee pain from applying DMSO/Resv to knee (but could have been by over stressing knee during a sprint).
velopismo_wife,1,98%,very apparent increased energy, weight loss
xanadu, 0.07, 50%, improved energy and mood
zawy, 0.9,, improved energy, hair, loss of desire for coffee, increased obsessive, less arthritis, possible male-pattern baldness improvement after 6 months at 0.2 g/d

Caveats: The laxative effect reported by a few may be due to the emodin in 50% formulations. Tendinitis and arthritis may result from an incresae in activity from an increase in mood/energy/aggression.

handson, 0.3 g/day, 99%, take it on and off, increase measured HDL level, able to exercise longer, thicker hair, more appetite, when re-starting resveratrol, my skin breaks out, but then stays clearer than without

#285 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:25 AM

handson, 0.3 g/day, 99%, take it on and off, increase measured HDL level, able to exercise longer, thicker hair, more appetite, when re-starting resveratrol, my skin breaks out, but then stays clearer than without

Just saw this thread when I got an email with this post. I stopped taking resveratrol in Jan. 2008 when I first came down with a skin condition which was finally diagnosed a year ago as psoriasis. Whenever I've tried to take it again, in between break-outs, I also break out in a rash - not like a a psoriasis break out - but an all over rash. I of course stop taking it at that point. Are you saying that you continue to take it after your skin breaks out (what kind of break out do you have?) and your skin clears up?
Also, how soon do you notice a thickening of your hair? That alone could make me try it.

#286 FedAce

• Validating/Suspended, Guest
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:58 PM

I would cut back if i thought resv was raising my blood suger. That's deadly.

Does anyone know what is causing this Tendonitis or joint pain ?? is it the impurities,,,i don't think so, but i ask. IS resveratrol somehow making the joint re-generate so it is painful in the beginning ?? and this tendonitis,,can it do any PERMANENT damage ???

#287 FedAce

• 109 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:14 AM

Also, can this cause Jaw pain ?? Pain in the jaw joint ??

#288 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:58 AM

IMO, this supplement, similar to all supplements: can cause any number of minor side effects. Some people can tolerate it well and others dont. The sides can remit.

#289 FedAce

• 109 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:02 AM

IMO, this supplement, similar to all supplements: can cause any number of minor side effects. Some people can tolerate it well and others dont. The sides can remit.

from what i have been hearing and myself as well,, Joint pain was pretty severe. I had to walk with a Limp. that is not a minor side effect.

#290 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:52 PM

Why are you taking a res chew, if you think res gave you joint pain?

Apparently you did not read about the release of adenosine... maybe it's me, but you sound a bit fishy.

A

#291 FedAce

• 109 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:14 PM

Apparently you did not read about the release of adenosine... maybe it's me, but you sound a bit fishy.

A

release of Adenosine ?? do you even know what Adenosine is ???? Adenosine is a IV drug we use to stop the dangerous Irregular heart beat called Atrial Fibrillation. If your body released Adenosine, you would fall dead from Heart Block. and Fishy ?? I do take Omega 3 fatty acid 1000mg Daily,,,is that what you mean ???

#292 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:23 AM

A

release of Adenosine ?? do you even know what Adenosine is ???? Adenosine is a IV drug we use to stop the dangerous Irregular heart beat called Atrial Fibrillation. If your body released Adenosine, you would fall dead from Heart Block. and Fishy ?? I do take Omega 3 fatty acid 1000mg Daily,,,is that what you mean ???

I think by "fishy" he thinks you may be a troll.

Joint pain seems to be due to the anti-aromatase action of resveratrol; like the anti-aromatase compounds given to women to treat osteoporosis, it can cause joint pain, for which the standard medical treatment is increased exposure to sunlight and/or vitamin D3 supplementation. In my own case, joint pain went away when I began taking >2000 units of D3, which got my blood levels above 35 as measured by lab tests. They had been under 30 despite sun exposure and dietary sources.

#293 FedAce

• 109 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:40 AM

A

I think by "fishy" he thinks you may be a troll.

Joint pain seems to be due to the anti-aromatase action of resveratrol; like the anti-aromatase compounds given to women to treat osteoporosis, it can cause joint pain, for which the standard medical treatment is increased exposure to sunlight and/or vitamin D3 supplementation. In my own case, joint pain went away when I began taking >2000 units of D3, which got my blood levels above 35 as measured by lab tests. They had been under 30 despite sun exposure and dietary sources.

Makes sense. but if you take too much Vitamin D, that can be dangerous because it is a fat soluble vitamin and it will accumulate very quickly. Anti-aromatase makes sense in that it has Anti-cancer effects. We have a Prescription drug that is Aromatase inhibitor where we use to treat Cancer...

#294 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:00 AM

Makes sense. but if you take too much Vitamin D, that can be dangerous because it is a fat soluble vitamin and it will accumulate very quickly. Anti-aromatase makes sense in that it has Anti-cancer effects. We have a Prescription drug that is Aromatase inhibitor where we use to treat Cancer...

D2 (ergo-calciferol), which is added to milk, can be a problem in large doses. Not so with D3 (cholecalciferol). Acute doses of 50,000 units have been taken without ill-effect, and daily doses of 10,000 unis are not unheard of. With an obvious symptom like joint pain, it should be possible to titrate one's dose until the pain disappears, at which point you are probably in the sweet zone as far as vitamin D status goes. Still, it would be best to get your hydroxy-D25 levels tested. Your doctor can do this, or you can have a lab do it for around $30. Under 30 indicates a deficiency, 40 to 50 is probably where you want it. Over 70 would be excessive, but not immediately deleterious. Suggest you research vitamin D3 yourself if you want more information. There is a good deal of information available in the Imminst forums which you can find with the search box on this page.

#295 FedAce

• 109 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:26 AM

D2 (ergo-calciferol), which is added to milk, can be a problem in large doses. Not so with D3 (cholecalciferol). Acute doses of 50,000 units have been taken without ill-effect, and daily doses of 10,000 unis are not unheard of. With an obvious symptom like joint pain, it should be possible to titrate one's dose until the pain disappears, at which point you are probably in the sweet zone as far as vitamin D status goes. Still, it would be best to get your hydroxy-D25 levels tested. Your doctor can do this, or you can have a lab do it for around $30. Under 30 indicates a deficiency, 40 to 50 is probably where you want it. Over 70 would be excessive, but not immediately deleterious. Suggest you research vitamin D3 yourself if you want more information. There is a good deal of information available in the Imminst forums which you can find with the search box on this page.

I take nature made MultiVitamin for Men. doesn't that have plenty of vitamin D already ??

#296 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:08 AM

I take nature made MultiVitamin for Men. doesn't that have plenty of vitamin D already ??

No. It's 1000 IU, which is barely adequate if you want to hit the desirable 40-50 ng/ml level of 25-OH-D3. The real problem with it is that it's a dry formulation, and these are notorious for poor absorption. Unless you take it with A LOT of fat, you aren't likely to absorb much. I'd recommend using a 2000 IU softgel (oil-based) formulation like the one from NOW Foods.
  • like x 2

#297 FedAce

• 109 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:57 AM

you seem to know alot. I started taking this resveratrol from GNC last week. Its got Acai also on top of REsveratrol what do think about this product ?

http://www.gnc.com/p...oductId=4250189

#298 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:20 AM

you seem to know alot. I started taking this resveratrol from GNC last week. Its got Acai also on top of REsveratrol what do think about this product ?

Thanks for the kind word. The chews have their pluses and minuses, but mostly minuses. On the plus side, they contain some amount (not exactly clear how much) of a red wine polyphenol extract. Some people are into that. On the minus side, it's a really expensive way to get resveratrol. Using the numbers on the gnc website ($20 for 30 chews, 30mg resveratrol per chew), it looks like about $22/gram. If you look here, you can get a sense of what resveratrol ought to cost. There are three basic products: 50% extract, which is what most places sell, 98+% high purity extract, which specialty resveratrol vendors can provide, and a high purity product that is micronized, and in some cases formulated with agents that improve bioavailability. Depending on where you look in this spectrum, resveratrol can be had for between $0.50 and $5.00 a gram. Also in the minus column, the chews contain sugar, which most serious life extensionists try to avoid. It contains Acai, which a lot of people think is a scam, but might belong in the plus column, although there probably isn't enough there to do anything useful. There probably isn't enough resveratrol in one of these chews to do much good either. In theory, they are probably expected to absorb through the cheek and gum tissue, bypass first-pass metabolism in the liver (not to mention gut metabolism, which is significant) and result in higher blood levels. People who dissolve high purity resveratrol in alcohol, then hold it in their mouth for a long time, have reported psychiatric effects, sometimes major. I wouldn't expect the sugar formulation to work in this way. The resveratrol would come out slowly, mostly be swallowed, and it would be rapidly metabolized. That's what I'd expect to see, anyway. I seriously doubt that anyone has done any pharmacokinetic testing to see if these things actually result in a measurable plasma level of resveratrol.
  • like x 1

#299 FedAce

• 109 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:56 AM

Thanks for the kind word. The chews have their pluses and minuses, but mostly minuses. On the plus side, they contain some amount (not exactly clear how much) of a red wine polyphenol extract. Some people are into that. On the minus side, it's a really expensive way to get resveratrol. Using the numbers on the gnc website ($20 for 30 chews, 30mg resveratrol per chew), it looks like about $22/gram. If you look here, you can get a sense of what resveratrol ought to cost. There are three basic products: 50% extract, which is what most places sell, 98+% high purity extract, which specialty resveratrol vendors can provide, and a high purity product that is micronized, and in some cases formulated with agents that improve bioavailability. Depending on where you look in this spectrum, resveratrol can be had for between $0.50 and $5.00 a gram. Also in the minus column, the chews contain sugar, which most serious life extensionists try to avoid. It contains Acai, which a lot of people think is a scam, but might belong in the plus column, although there probably isn't enough there to do anything useful. There probably isn't enough resveratrol in one of these chews to do much good either. In theory, they are probably expected to absorb through the cheek and gum tissue, bypass first-pass metabolism in the liver (not to mention gut metabolism, which is significant) and result in higher blood levels. People who dissolve high purity resveratrol in alcohol, then hold it in their mouth for a long time, have reported psychiatric effects, sometimes major. I wouldn't expect the sugar formulation to work in this way. The resveratrol would come out slowly, mostly be swallowed, and it would be rapidly metabolized. That's what I'd expect to see, anyway. I seriously doubt that anyone has done any pharmacokinetic testing to see if these things actually result in a measurable plasma level of resveratrol.

:blush:if i am not getting any absorption then why do i feel this good energy effect ? 1 hour after i take it,,2 chewables, i feel like i have lots of energy. and yea, GNC stuff is always very expensive. they say they make superior products so they charge more..

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#300 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:07 AM

:blush:if i am not getting any absorption then why do i feel this good energy effect ? 1 hour after i take it,,2 chewables, i feel like i have lots of energy. and yea, GNC stuff is always very expensive. they say they make superior products so they charge more..

The energy effect is probably the other polyphenols that are in there, aside from the resveratrol. Maybe some MAO inhibition? Hard to say, but if you like the boost, they might be worth it for that alone. Most people here seem to shop at iherb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users