Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Resveratrol Side Effects, good and bad

• Please log in to reply
421 replies to this topic

#31 rabagley

• 215 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 11:15 PM

On the basis of these very coarse experiments, it looks like it resveratrol does in fact lower blood glucose, and the effect is short-term and dose dependant. 500mg the night before lowers my fasting blood glucose by about ~6mg/dl. 1g the night before lowers my fasting blood glucose by ~10mg/dl. The effect does not last through to the following morning (32 hours after dosing). I would need to move the resveratrol dose to an earlier time in the day and continue my data gathering.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing! Which brand of resveratrol are you taking (50% or a higher purity product)?

This is RevGenetics 99% powder.

#32 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:22 PM

Since taking larger doses of Resvertrol I am having the unpleasant and unwanted laxative side effect.
I was wondering how others are dealing with this. Also, I am wondering
if others are taking breaks....as in 5 days on 2 days off, or something of that nature.
I am considering doing that to get back to being regular, since even when I take smaller doses
I still have the problem. It so strange that my dogs can take doses of 3g at one time
and not have anything more than soft stool. They don't seem to have the sense of urgency
to go or watery stool. Maybe it's more suitable for a dogs digestive system. Anybody
dealing with this issue and how?

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:59 PM

With 99% purity extract and synthetic trans-resveratrol, I don't have these issues, even at 5+ grams/day.

#34 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:08 PM

Since taking larger doses of Resvertrol I am having the unpleasant and unwanted laxative side effect.
I was wondering how others are dealing with this.

Inawe posted an abstract last month which said that butyrate should help with this.

Edited by krillin, 05 February 2008 - 08:08 PM.

#35 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:28 PM

With 99% purity extract and synthetic trans-resveratrol, I don't have these issues, even at 5+ grams/day.

I'm taking 98% pure extract, but not synthetic. Maybe that's it.
You take 5+ grams in how many doses? Do you take it every day, or do you stop now and then?
At 5+ grams, what results are you noticing?

#36 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:39 PM

You take 5+ grams in how many doses? Do you take it every day, or do you stop now and then?

My wife had the problem with as little as 250 mg of synthetic resveratrol. I have it with more than two grams of resveratrol.
I have found an herb, give me by a lady herbalist, controls the problem.

#37 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:07 PM

My wife had the problem with as little as 250 mg of synthetic resveratrol. I have it with more than two grams of resveratrol.

Which herb?

#38 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:12 PM

Divided doses, usually with meals, except just before going to sleep at night (empty stomach). Don't notice much anymore- I've been taking relatively high doses of t-resv. for over a year. Perhaps decreased requirement for sleep with lack of any fatigue during the day, mostly.

#39 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:25 PM

Which herb?

The main herb in the mix is angelica root, Bai Zhi. Like most Chinese formulations, there is more than one ingredient. I can put you in touch with her if you want. Hu zhang, the herb from which resveratrol is extracted, is combined with other herbs in traditional Chinese medicine. She used herbs it is traditionally combined with to "restore the balance." More than superstition, it's centuries of trial and observation. I didn't expect much, but it worked.

I read Inawe's abstract. He was trying to use Calcium Butyrate to counter the reveratrol-induced stimulation of intestinal Caco cells to produce excess chlorate, with indifferent results. He mentioned in correspondence he was going to double the dose, but I haven't heard the results. I tried HMB (which contains butyrate, tough whether it is available I don't know, but I couldn't locate calcium-magnesium butyrate quickly, and HMB was available) but the Bao Zhi formulation Yinyangrl (the herbalist) gave me works very well. She is giving resveratrol to her 9 year old dog, BTW, as well as using it herself. The dog's arthritic hips are visibly mpoved.

#40 clay

• 22 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:46 PM

Has anyone else experienced a lowered appetite? I'm going to have to quit because of joint aches, but while I was on it I had this really decreased appetite.

#41 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:03 PM

Divided doses, usually with meals, except just before going to sleep at night (empty stomach). Don't notice much anymore- I've been taking relatively high doses of t-resv. for over a year. Perhaps decreased requirement for sleep with lack of any fatigue during the day, mostly.

4 doses @ 1.25g ? Maybe with meals would help. I've been taking it
a la carte.

#42 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:09 PM

Pubmed has this on angelica vs diarrhea. I thought vitamin PP would be a diuretic, but it's actually an archaic term for niacin.

Minerva Gastroenterol Dietol. 2006 Dec;52(4):359-63.
Treatment of irritable bowel syndrome. A case control experience.
Astegiano M, Pellicano R, Terzi E, Simondi D, Rizzetto M.
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, San Giovanni Battista (Molinette) Hospital, Turin, Italy. mastegiano@molinette.piemonte.it

AIM: As optimal therapy for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) remains elusive, current approach to therapy is based on symptomatic treatment. With this case-control experience we wanted to determine the beneficial effect in IBS patients of a dietary integrator (IBS Active), composed of L-tryptophan, inulin, angelica, vegetal charcoal, vitamin PP, group B vitamins (B1, B2, B6) and probiotics (Lactobacillus sporogenes, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Streptococcus thermophilus). METHODS: The treatment group comprised 37 patients (11 men and 27 women; mean age, 44.3+/-5.1 years) given IBS Active (440 mg bid) over a mean period of 6 months (range, 5-8). The control group comprised 28 patients (6 men and 22 women; mean age, 48.6+/-3.7 years) who were instructed to continue their customary therapy for 6 months (range, 5-7). All subjects were assessed for the presence of abdominal pain and/or distension, constipation, diarrhea and alternating constipation and diarrhea. RESULTS: Compared with baseline values, the reduction in abdominal pain in the treatment group was 62% (P<0.0001), 55% (P<0.0001) in abdominal distension, 58% (P=0.05) in constipation, 33% (P=0.3) in diarrhea, and 62% (P=0.01) in alternation constipation and diarrhea. Compared with baseline values, no statistically significant reduction in symptoms was found in the control group. Post-treatment comparison between the two groups showed that the study product had reduced symptoms and that the difference was statistically significant for abdominal pain (P<0.000001), abdominal distension (P=0.003) and constipation (P=0.03). CONCLUSIONS: The use of IBS Active led to a significant improvement in pain symptoms, abdominal distension and regulation of bowel movement in IBS patients. Further study is needed to evaluate the long-term benefit of the study product.

PMID: 17108865

#43 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 07:36 PM

Has anyone else experienced a lowered appetite? I'm going to have to quit because of joint aches, but while I was on it I had this really decreased appetite.

Absolutely!

#44 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 07:39 PM

Thanks, maxwatt.

I have a fairly sensitive GI tract. Although I've not had problems with t-resv., other foods can send me into various GI conniptions- irritable bowel type that can run either too fast, to slow, or just painfully bloated.

Which herb?

The main herb in the mix is angelica root, Bai Zhi. Like most Chinese formulations, there is more than one ingredient. I can put you in touch with her if you want. Hu zhang, the herb from which resveratrol is extracted, is combined with other herbs in traditional Chinese medicine. She used herbs it is traditionally combined with to "restore the balance." More than superstition, it's centuries of trial and observation. I didn't expect much, but it worked.

I read Inawe's abstract. He was trying to use Calcium Butyrate to counter the reveratrol-induced stimulation of intestinal Caco cells to produce excess chlorate, with indifferent results. He mentioned in correspondence he was going to double the dose, but I haven't heard the results. I tried HMB (which contains butyrate, tough whether it is available I don't know, but I couldn't locate calcium-magnesium butyrate quickly, and HMB was available) but the Bao Zhi formulation Yinyangrl (the herbalist) gave me works very well. She is giving resveratrol to her 9 year old dog, BTW, as well as using it herself. The dog's arthritic hips are visibly mpoved.

#45 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:11 PM

I have one of those Accu things to measure blood glucose, and, FWIW, I was curious to see my fasting level after taking resv, late afternoon (local time).
For breakfast I had a bowl of mixed powders'n'stuff, yoghurt, nuts, chocolate, müesli, and a thin slice of gluten-free bread with lowfat cheese, - for lunch I had a large serving of mixed salads, feta cheese, berries and nuts, and later 2 fruit/nut bars (some ~50 grams of carbs), and 1/2 cup of coffee. Also, tea for the win. After the large carb meals BG went to 104 mg/dL, and slowly dropped to 86 mg/dL. Now, in the evening after rsv, it says 67 mg/dL, which is rather low, also considered I feel 'great', and no hunger really. Didn't take anything w/rsv (one gram - 99%).

#46 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:20 AM

I have one of those Accu things to measure blood glucose, and, FWIW, I was curious to see my fasting level after taking resv, late afternoon (local time).
For breakfast I had a bowl of mixed powders'n'stuff, yoghurt, nuts, chocolate, müesli, and a thin slice of gluten-free bread with lowfat cheese, - for lunch I had a large serving of mixed salads, feta cheese, berries and nuts, and later 2 fruit/nut bars (some ~50 grams of carbs), and 1/2 cup of coffee. Also, tea for the win. After the large carb meals BG went to 104 mg/dL, and slowly dropped to 86 mg/dL. Now, in the evening after rsv, it says 67 mg/dL, which is rather low, also considered I feel 'great', and no hunger really. Didn't take anything w/rsv (one gram - 99%).

I have an inexpensive "True Track" glucose meter. Last spring I was measuring my fasting glucose each morning for a few weeks. Since then I have upped my resveratrol dose from 1 or two grams a day, single dose, to as much as six grams a day, in three two gram doses. This week I began again measuring my fasting glucose in the morning. I get readings that vary as much as 20 mg/dl from day to day, but without running a root mean square test on the series, it appears my average reading has dropped by about 20 mg/dl. Not as low as I'd like, but better than I expected. I have some reservations about the absolute accuracy of the meter, but I do think it shows trends. My next physical, I should have some lab number to see if this is real.

#47 scorpe

• 33 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:47 AM

My son (soccer player in a professional club) had last thuesday a knee in his upper thigh and could nearly walk. They treated him with ice and I treated him with res. First I put a gel on to treat muscle problem and after that a gram of res. which I rubbed in. I left it on for 20 min. and he told me the pain was much less and he could move. After a few hours the pain came back. We also went to a masseur a friend of us with 40 years experience and he treated him too. He said to my son I don't think you can play on Saturday but he did a light training on Thursday. All days I treated him and Saturday he played the whole game without problems. On sunday we went to the masseur again and he was surprised as the muscles were only a bit stiff. Normally it takes 1-3 weeks to play after you have a good hit.

Was it the res.? I dont know but next time if something happens like his I will úse it again.

Edited by scorpe, 11 February 2008 - 01:24 PM.

#48 notox

• 23 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:38 PM

My son (soccer player in a professional club) had last thuesday a knee in his upper thigh and could nearly walk. They treated him with ice and I treated him with res. First I put a gel on to treat muscle problem and after that a gram of res. which I rubbed in. I left it on for 20 min. and he told me the pain was much less and he could move. After a few hours the pain came back. We also went to a masseur a friend of us with 40 years experience and he treated him too. He said to my son I don't think you can play on Saturday but he did a light training on Thursday. All days I treated him and Saturday he played the whole game without problems. On sunday we went to the masseur again and he was surprised as the muscles were only a bit stiff. Normally it takes 1-3 weeks to play after you have a good hit.

Was it the res.? I do'nt know but next time if something happens like his I will do it again.

What kind of carrier do you use to rub in, was it the gel ?

#49 scorpe

• 33 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:11 PM

[
What kind of carrier do you use to rub in, was it the gel ?

It is called voltaren emulgel and I use that for stiff muscles. I was just curious if the effect was greater with res. then voltaren alone.
He could have been lucky and I don't think it was placebo as my son did not trusted it but he had to admit the pain went away and he was healed very quickly. More people who have muscle pain should try this to see if the effect is really positive. I know Missmini also uses it and she reported a positive effect. My son was happy and me too because not playing but travelling/playing time etc. so be away for about 10 hours from home we don't like but he could play.

Edited by scorpe, 11 February 2008 - 01:21 PM.

#50 Hedgehog

• 462 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:19 PM

Significant increase in energy. I used to cycle about 8-10hrs a week (approx 150-200miles), now in the winter I'm lucky if I get 4hrs. A group of us go out at lunch and do a small climb of about 1000 feet. A person in our group is sponsered and rides at the "elite" level and well this time I was able to lead the way on the flats and pull away on the climb. In effect i think by drafting you save around 15-20% of your energy? This time a didn't draft once on the flats and was to the top of the hill first. The sponserd person cycles a lot so they might be tired but then again they have been riding a lot more and I didnt' draft.

Can't wait to go out and ride again with this person! ;)

Increase dosage to 500mg for this week and went out with the lunch group twice this week. Had no problems keeping up and putting some of the better riders in a little pain. Tomorrow will be a 5-6hr group ride. From what I can tell my max is still the same but my endurance is a lot better.

For those of you in NY check this shi* out ;)

#51 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:02 AM

Jesus, was the guy on the bridge riding a fixie? Now that's nuts! Safety First, kids. No splitting traffic on 101, OK hedge?

#52 Hedgehog

• 462 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:45 AM

Jesus, was the guy on the bridge riding a fixie? Now that's nuts! Safety First, kids. No splitting traffic on 101, OK hedge?

It is freaking nuts.. I hope you had the speakers on (((HIGH))) humm maybe I'll use a helmet cam next time I go out.

#53 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:15 PM

It is freaking nuts.. I hope you had the speakers on (((HIGH))) humm maybe I'll use a helmet cam next time I go out.

Apparently the local hospitals really fill up during and after this race from all the injured cyclists and motor vehicle accidents that occur as a result of the race.

edit: Insanity if you ask me

Edited by edward, 16 February 2008 - 08:16 PM.

#54 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:16 PM

Apparently the local hospitals really fill up during and after this race from all the injured cyclists and motor vehicle accidents that occur as a result of the race.

edit: Insanity if you ask me

It's not as hard or as dangerous as it looks. You just have to be willing to cut off cars and pedestrians.

#55 inawe

• 653 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:33 AM

Confirmation of the Malbecman effect:

Arch Pharm Res. 2008 Jan;31(1):83-7.
trans-Resveratrol relaxes the corpus cavernosum ex vivo and enhances testosterone levels and sperm quality in vivo.Shin S, Jeon JH, Park D, Jang MJ, Choi JH, Choi BH, Joo SS, Nahm SS, Kim JC, Kim YB.
College of Veterinary Medicine, Chungbuk National University, Heungdeok-gu, Cheongju, Chungbuk 361-763, Korea.

We examined the effects of trans-resveratrol on male reproductive functions; ex-vivo penile erection and in-vivo sperm counts and quality. For the ex-vivo study, the relaxation effects of resveratrol on isolated New Zealand white rabbit corpus cavernosum, precontracted by phenylephrine (5x10(-5) M) were measured. The in-vivo study measured reproductive organ weights, blood testosterone levels, testicular histopathology, sperm counts, as well as the epididymal sperm motility and deformity of male ICR mice given an oral dose of resveratrol (50 mg/ kg) for 28 days. Resveratrol elicited a concentration-dependent relaxing effect on corpus cavernosum, leading to a median effective concentration (EC50) of 0.29 mg/mL. Repeated treatment with resveratrol (50 mg/kg) did not cause an increase in body weight, reproductive organ weight or testicular microscopic findings; however, resveratrol did elicit an increase in blood testosterone concentration, testicular sperm counts and epididymal sperm motility by 51.6%, 15.8% and 23.3%, respectively, without influence on sperm deformity. In conclusion, we propose that resveratrol has a positive effect on male reproductive function by triggering a penile erection, as well as enhancing blood testosterone levels, testicular sperm counts, and epididymal sperm motility.

PMID: 18277612 [PubMed - in process]

#56 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:56 AM

What is the Malbecman effect?

#57 sUper GeNius

• 1,501 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:01 AM

Also known as the "John Holmes" effect in some circles.

#58 inawe

• 653 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:19 AM

Malbecman was the first to report in this forum, that RSV leads to some of the effects described in the paper. Other members were too shy.

#59 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:11 AM

Good stuff, some actual data on increases in testosterone as opposed to speculations of the anti estrogen mechanism. Most studies I have seen have shown no effects on testosterone and other hormones, though they often mention this as an after thought so I can't be sure how carefully they tried to detect changes. I personally haven't experienced the "viagra" effect but then again my circulation is pretty good as it is so no modesty here just no noticeable effects.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:58 AM

Interesting, 50mg/kg would be 3.4g for a 150 pound person (assuming linear scaling which surely is incorrect).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users