* * * * * 6 votes

Resveratrol Side Effects, good and bad

• Please log in to reply
421 replies to this topic

#61 pinballwizard

• Life Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:20 AM

I just had a colonoscopy a few weeks back. The doctor thinks I got dysentery or giardia or some sort of parasite in my stomach from bad water in Costa Rica. I agreed. But, I also told him that my problems were exacerbated by resveratrol. I am so Damn freaking mad at the person who recommended this shite. I cannot tell you how sick I felt. Those pills made me feel worse. I have never felt this bad in my whole life.

Ok, let me repeat. I don't think pain in my colon was caused by this drug. I think that it was a parasite. These pills in my non-amateur opinion made things worse. How can I prove it? I cannot. It is a suspicion. It is just my intuition. I never tested positive for a parasite, but after I took the pills, I had loose stools. Slowly over time it got worse.

I lost 15 pounds. I feel scammed. I am going to call them and ask them for a refund. There should be warnings on this product.

#62 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 04:53 AM

I just had a colonoscopy a few weeks back. The doctor thinks I got dysentery or giardia or some sort of parasite in my stomach from bad water in Costa Rica. I agreed. But, I also told him that my problems were exacerbated by resveratrol. I am so Damn freaking mad at the person who recommended this shite. I cannot tell you how sick I felt. Those pills made me feel worse. I have never felt this bad in my whole life.

Ok, let me repeat. I don't think pain in my colon was caused by this drug. I think that it was a parasite. These pills in my non-amateur opinion made things worse. How can I prove it? I cannot. It is a suspicion. It is just my intuition. I never tested positive for a parasite, but after I took the pills, I had loose stools. Slowly over time it got worse.

I lost 15 pounds. I feel scammed. I am going to call them and ask them for a refund. There should be warnings on this product.

If it was a 50% extract, then it probably had a significant concentration of Emodin, a known intestinal irritant. I would not be surprised if it did exacerbate an already bad situation. Especially if you took a lot. A few people even have intestinal problems from higher purity resveratrol where Emodin is probably not a factor. I hope you're feeling better.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 March 2008 - 04:53 AM

What brand of resveratrol did you take?

#64 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:35 PM

"non-amatuer opinion"? You're a professional supplement junkie? Or professional dysentery patient? I don't mean to be flip- just curious.

How much reseveratrol and what type did you take? (If extract, what purity? Synthetic?) I've never noticed any effects, GI or otherwise, from high purity resveratrol, up to 6 grams/day.

Edited by tintinet, 07 March 2008 - 06:40 PM.

#65 CameronMT

• 1 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:33 AM

I have been taking 900mg of revegenetics 50% for about a week now and I've noticed that my
urine has gotten several shades darker. Has anyone else noticed this and do you thing the effect is benign?

#66 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 02:12 AM

I have been taking 900mg of revegenetics 50% for about a week now and I've noticed that my
urine has gotten several shades darker. Has anyone else noticed this and do you thing the effect is benign?

I think you are excreting the anthocyanines, and possibly the emodin, in the 50% product. They color you urine when excreted. This effect is harmless. Try eating beets if you want to see a colorful effect.

#67 Crepulance

• 269 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:53 PM

Would be nice to know what brand each of those reporting used.

Hedge,

sounds like maybe a sleeve test maybe in order?

#68 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:44 PM

Any 50% product is going to have a high emodin content regardless of brand so that point is pretty moot.

Really, if you are taking over 500mg you should probably switch to 99% quality to avoid the emodin.

#69 JoL

• 16 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:23 PM

Dose : 300 mg 98 % t-Res

Good :

- feeling awake in the morning without caffeine
- slight stamina increase

Bad :

- mild intermittent laxative effect
- joint pains

#70 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:21 PM

So what are the effects on hormones levels? I remember reading it increases testosterone, progesterone and reduces estrogen, is it correct?

#71 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:27 PM

So what are the effects on hormones levels? I remember reading it increases testosterone, progesterone and reduces estrogen, is it correct?

yes that's true. The increased testosterone levels is due to supression of estrogen...

#72 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:59 PM

Shonghow,

my wife has been taking resveratrol at 500mg & 1000mg, and hasn't had this happen. I believe another user here mentioned she was taking 3 grams a day when she experienced this.

How much do you take Shonghow?

A

#73 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:21 PM

Shonghow,

my wife has been taking resveratrol at 500mg & 1000mg, and hasn't had this happen. I believe another user here mentioned she was taking 3 grams a day when she experienced this.

A

Anthony,
Just wanted to let you know that I am taking 1.2 grams a day now along with pregnenolone to mitigate the estrogen suppression and it seems to be working well. I was definitely overdoing it at 3 g a day. It absolutely suppresses estrogen, (which is why it cured Minni of mammary cancer) which is a wonderful thing if you produce too much. I think my estrogen was dangerously lowered by the combination
of quitting pregnenolone and starting Resveratrol at the same time. That was my mistake. I think women need to consider this
when taking Resveratrol. I think you have to consider age as well. Usually the older a woman is, the lower her estrogen.

#74 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:31 PM

Shonghow,

A

Anthony,
Just wanted to let you know that I am taking 1.2 grams a day now along with pregnenolone to mitigate the estrogen suppression and it seems to be working well. I was definitely overdoing it at 3 g a day. It absolutely suppresses estrogen, (which is why it cured Minni of mammary cancer) which is a wonderful thing if you produce too much. I think my estrogen was dangerously lowered by the combination
of quitting pregnenolone and starting Resveratrol at the same time. That was my mistake. I think women need to consider this
when taking Resveratrol. I think you have to consider age as well. Usually the older a woman is, the lower her estrogen.

Unless tests were done, I consider your anecdotes speculation WRT estrogen levels. No offense intended! :p

Edited by tintinet, 23 June 2008 - 02:32 PM.

#75 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:05 PM

Shonghow,

A

Anthony,

Unless tests were done, I consider your anecdotes speculation WRT estrogen levels. No offense intended! :p

No offense taken. It's true about being anecdotal on my part. However the fact that Resveratrol can act as an estrogen antagonist
is not.

#76 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:03 PM

Shonghow,

A

Anthony,

No offense taken. It's true about being anecdotal on my part. However the fact that Resveratrol can act as an estrogen antagonist
is not.

In an odd way, I suppose maybe.....

1: Dev Neurosci. 2006;28(3):186-95.Click here to read Links
Effects of neonatal resveratrol exposure on adult male and female reproductive physiology and behavior.
Henry LA, Witt DM.

Behavioral Neuroscience Program, Department of Psychology, Binghamton University (SUNY), Binghamton, NY, USA. l-henry2@northwestern.edu

Resveratrol (RES) is a phytoestrogen that has the ability to bind to estrogen receptors (ERs) and evoke biological effects that parallel those exerted by endogenous and synthetic estrogens. We have shown in previous studies that adult female rats acutely exposed to RES exhibit estrous cycle irregularity, ovarian hypertrophy, and alterations in sociosexual behavior. The present experiment characterizes the prolonged effects of maternal RES exposure throughout the lactational period on subsequent behavior, reproductive tissues, and brain morphology of the adult offspring. During adulthood, female offspring exposed to RES throughout nursing exhibited reduced body weight and increased ovarian weight, but exhibited normal estrous cyclicity and sociosexual behavior, without changes in the volume of the sexually dimorphic nucleus of the preoptic area or the anteroventral periventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus. During adulthood, males exposed to RES throughout nursing exhibited decreased body weight and plasma testosterone concentration, increased testicular weight, and reduced sociosexual behavior. These males also had significantly smaller sexually dimorphic nucleus of the preoptic area volumes and larger anteroventral periventricular nucleus volumes compared to male controls. These data suggest that postnatal exposure to RES may affect estrogenic activity in specific peripheral tissues (e.g., the gonads), while inducing antiestrogenic effects in the brain. Thus, the present study supports recent in vitro and in vivo findings that RES differs from most other phytoestrogens by acting as a possible mixed ER agonist/antagonist, depending on the tissue-specific availability of ER subtypes that are preferentially localized in specific brain regions and throughout the reproductive tract. More importantly these data indicate that maternal consumption of phytoestrogens during lactation can have lasting effects on the offspring that may not become apparent until they reach adulthood. Copyright 2006 S. Karger AG, Basel.

PMID: 16679765 [

#77 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:31 PM

In an odd way, I suppose maybe.....

1: Dev Neurosci. 2006;28(3):186-95.Click here to read Links
Effects of neonatal resveratrol exposure on adult male and female reproductive physiology and behavior.
Henry LA, Witt DM.

Behavioral Neuroscience Program, Department of Psychology, Binghamton University (SUNY), Binghamton, NY, USA. l-henry2@northwestern.edu

Resveratrol (RES) is a phytoestrogen that has the ability to bind to estrogen receptors (ERs) and evoke biological effects that parallel those exerted by endogenous and synthetic estrogens. We have shown in previous studies that adult female rats acutely exposed to RES exhibit estrous cycle irregularity, ovarian hypertrophy, and alterations in sociosexual behavior. The present experiment characterizes the prolonged effects of maternal RES exposure throughout the lactational period on subsequent behavior, reproductive tissues, and brain morphology of the adult offspring. During adulthood, female offspring exposed to RES throughout nursing exhibited reduced body weight and increased ovarian weight, but exhibited normal estrous cyclicity and sociosexual behavior, without changes in the volume of the sexually dimorphic nucleus of the preoptic area or the anteroventral periventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus. During adulthood, males exposed to RES throughout nursing exhibited decreased body weight and plasma testosterone concentration, increased testicular weight, and reduced sociosexual behavior. These males also had significantly smaller sexually dimorphic nucleus of the preoptic area volumes and larger anteroventral periventricular nucleus volumes compared to male controls. These data suggest that postnatal exposure to RES may affect estrogenic activity in specific peripheral tissues (e.g., the gonads), while inducing antiestrogenic effects in the brain. Thus, the present study supports recent in vitro and in vivo findings that RES differs from most other phytoestrogens by acting as a possible mixed ER agonist/antagonist, depending on the tissue-specific availability of ER subtypes that are preferentially localized in specific brain regions and throughout the reproductive tract. More importantly these data indicate that maternal consumption of phytoestrogens during lactation can have lasting effects on the offspring that may not become apparent until they reach adulthood.Copyright 2006 S. Karger AG, Basel.

PMID: 16679765

Wow! I wonder the effect it would have on offspring if taken when pregnant.

#78 Hedgehog

• 462 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:39 PM

Resveratrol does little during embryonic growth. Very strange that it actually acts as a "antiteratogenic" because of SIRT1 activation???

Trans-resveratrol inhibits early blood vessel formation (vasculogenesis) without impairment of embryonic growth. Link
Antiteratogenic effect of resveratrol in mice exposed in utero to 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin. Link

#79 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:53 PM

Resveratrol does little during embryonic growth. Very strange that it actually acts as a "antiteratogenic" because of SIRT1 activation???

Trans-resveratrol inhibits early blood vessel formation (vasculogenesis) without impairment of embryonic growth. Link
Antiteratogenic effect of resveratrol in mice exposed in utero to 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin. Link

That's good news!
There's a very interesting study
that's an overall view of Resveratrol activity as a micro-nutrient.

Estrogenic and Anti-estrogenic Activities

Endogenous estrogens are steroid hormones synthesized by humans and other mammals; these hormones bind to estrogen receptors within cells. The estrogen-receptor complex interacts with unique sequences in DNA (estrogen response elements; EREs) to modulate the expression of estrogen-responsive genes (17). A compound that binds to estrogen receptors and elicits similar responses to endogenous estrogens is considered an estrogen agonist, while a compound that binds estrogen receptors but prevents or inhibits the response elicited by endogenous estrogens is considered an estrogen antagonist. The chemical structure of resveratrol is very similar to that of the synthetic estrogen agonist, diethylstilbestrol (see figure 2), suggesting that resveratrol might also function as an estrogen agonist. However, in cell culture experiments resveratrol acts as an estrogen agonist under some conditions and an estrogen antagonist under other conditions (18, 19). In estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer cells, resveratrol acted as an estrogen agonist in the absence of the endogenous estrogen, 17beta-estradiol, but acted as an estrogen antagonist in the presence of 17beta-estradiol (20, 21). At present, it appears that resveratrol has the potential to act as an estrogen agonist or antagonist depending on such factors as cell type, estrogen receptor isoform (ER alpha or ER beta), and the presence of endogenous estrogens (17).

In Minni's case it acted as an antagonist. I can't really say what happened in my case since I stopped taking preg at the same time I started res. But within a month's time I noticed my skin was extremely dry, and two female friends of mine who tried it noticed the same thing.
I wish there were more women here to add their experiences.

#80 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:04 PM

from the link you gave:
Treatments with t-resveratrol (4.38 - 43.8 muM/implant) significantly increased the body length of embryos incubated in vitro uncoupled from any impairment in the body shape or detectable embryotoxic effect.
The other study found rats nursed by resveratrol taking mothers were smaller in body weight and larger in ovarian weight.

During adulthood, female offspring exposed to RES throughout nursing exhibited reduced body weight and increased ovarian weight, but exhibited normal estrous cyclicity and sociosexual behavior, without changes in the volume of the sexually dimorphic nucleus of the preoptic area or the anteroventral periventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus.

Hmmm,
Resveratrol might become the new craze for people who want to breed super models.

Edited by missminni, 24 June 2008 - 04:07 PM.

#81 sUper GeNius

• 1,501 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:02 AM

Have been taking 2 G for several months now. No more "crawling out of my skin" with Paxil anymore. The anxiety was determined to have a different cause, is being successfully treated.

More anecdotal reports from me.

1. I think some of my facial hair went black, from grey. Not the hair on my head though. Weird thing is though, some hair on my face that NEVER was black, (was reddish,) has become black!

2. In one of my early posts here, I mentioned that I had had symptoms of MS. I was controlling them with 3-4 grams of daily curcumin. At that time, if I discontinued the curcumin for a week or so, the symptoms would come back. I have noticed that resveratrol controls the symptoms just as well, if not better. Probably due to this:

http://7thspace.com/...adipocytes.html

3. I think I am having much less gingivitis.

#82 Hedgehog

• 462 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:42 PM

I think a reason why resveratrol is made in the plants is due to its antibacterial and maybe fungal defenses.

#83 sUper GeNius

• 1,501 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:57 PM

I think a reason why resveratrol is made in the plants is due to its antibacterial and maybe fungal defenses.

Look like that will be a big benefit from resveratrol. They also say heart disease and other inflammatory diseases can be worsened by infected gums. Check out the following link:

http://www.winespect...97,3277,00.html

#84 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:30 PM

Never mentioned that my wife is fast walking 10 miles/day in the hot sun too, I think it is RES but I lack proof.

#85 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:41 AM

My money is on it being mitochondrial. CoQ10 wiped out my gingivitis.

#86 Hedgehog

• 462 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:50 PM

My money is on it being mitochondrial. CoQ10 wiped out my gingivitis.

New personal cycling record :)

20miles avg 19.2mph. Total climbing = 962ft, however total elevation change = -40ft. Plus I had all my commuting bags on (adds a lot of extra weight). For me this is good, I'm mostly a climber and don't do that well on flat sections like this.

#87 jenq

• 14 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:08 AM

Is there information on the effects of Resveratrol on estrogen for the post-menopausal woman. Suppression of naturally occurring traces of estrogen is undesirable in this group.

#88 markymark

• 188 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:44 AM

Is there information on the effects of Resveratrol on estrogen for the post-menopausal woman. Suppression of naturally occurring traces of estrogen is undesirable in this group.

Well, if a woman is on bioidentical low-dose hormone replacement (transdermal 17ß-estradiol and oral genuine mocronized progesterone) after menopause, IMO, resveratrol should complement well with this. The reason is that these women most likely benefit from a slight increase in testosterone, which is brought about by resveratrol.
I do not know of any data or reports in women after menopause without hormone replacement taking resveratrol. In any case a good question though.
I would not be too scary if a posmenopausal woman not on hormone replacement tries some resveratrol between 250-500 mg/day. Blood tests (hormones) should be done in this case in order to see how low the postmenopausal low estrogene levels really are and if testosterone levels really increase.
Although needless to say in this forum, we need much much more data on humans taking resveratrol.

#89 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 02:54 PM

Well, if a woman is on bioidentical low-dose hormone replacement (transdermal 17ß-estradiol and oral genuine mocronized progesterone) after menopause, IMO, resveratrol should complement well with this. The reason is that these women most likely benefit from a slight increase in testosterone, which is brought about by resveratrol.
I do not know of any data or reports in women after menopause without hormone replacement taking resveratrol. In any case a good question though.
I would not be too scary if a posmenopausal woman not on hormone replacement tries some resveratrol between 250-500 mg/day. Blood tests (hormones) should be done in this case in order to see how low the postmenopausal low estrogene levels really are and if testosterone levels really increase.
Although needless to say in this forum, we need much much more data on humans taking resveratrol.

Anecdotal information:
I'm post menopausal and not on hormones and I was taking about 3g a day. My skin got extremely dry as I've
posted preveiously. Another post menopausal woman who posts here WAS on hormone replacement and she didn't have a problem.
So I would have to say it is not a good thing for post menopausal women unless they are on estrogen or have high estrogen levels.
I am now taking daily 100 mg pregnenolone and 25mg dhea along with the resveratrol and it seems to be working out. My Dhea and Preg levels were dangerously low after about two months of taking Res. Unfortunately, I do not know what they were before since I hadn't been tested for ten years previously.
I know another woman who was post menopausal who also experienced very dry skin, and another female friend of mine who wasn't menopausal and just turned 40 had the same issue...so dry skin in women seems to be a problem when taking over 2 grams a day. We all were taking between 2 and 3 grams a day. I am now only taking 1.25 grams a day. The dry skin problem seems to be clearing up after about two months of this res/preg/dhea combination.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#90 jenq

• 14 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:26 AM

I'm post menopausal and also not taking HRT. I'm waiting on results for hormone levels before starting RevGenetics Resveratrol 500mg x 1 daily. With a baseline in place, I'll have something to work with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users