• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * - - 5 votes

John McCain vs Barack Obama?

• Please log in to reply
223 replies to this topic

Poll: Obama vs McCain (120 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you choose John McCain or Barack Obama?

1. John McCain (25 votes [20.83%])

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

2. Barack Obama (76 votes [63.33%])

Percentage of vote: 63.33%

3. 3rd Party or Undecided (19 votes [15.83%])

Percentage of vote: 15.83%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:10 AM

It looks like the final nominee for each party might be Barack Obama and John McCain. (unless Hillary can pull one out, which is looking less and less likely)

Who would you vote for between the two of them?

Edit: Obama has it wrapped up now.

Edited by Live Forever, 05 July 2008 - 04:26 AM.

#2 modelcadet

• 443 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:32 AM

Count one for Lawrence Lessig:

#3 biknut

• 1,892 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:09 PM

I think it will go big O if he wins the nomination, because a lot of the same voters wouldn't see much difference between him and McCain. The momentum would be for a Democrat. On the other hand if Helldog wins, I think McCain would be our next president because she's so disliked by half the voters that she makes Bush look like a love god.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:56 AM

Count one for Lawrence Lessig:

A great video. Everyone who supports Clinton should watch it. It explains with logic and candor why Obama is the right choice. I'm glad I watched it. Thanks, modelcadet.

#5 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:42 AM

http://www.youtube.c...election-5.html

#6 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:53 AM

I chose third party or undecided, because I'll probably vote third party, but I'm undecided. If I did vote between the two candidates, it would be Barack Obama. But I'm not particularly passionate about either of them, and I like them both more than the candidates we've had from either party in a while. (On a sidenote, I hated both Bush and Gore in 2000, but I've softened up to Gore in the last year or two.)

So I'll probably vote libertarian, mainly because I think the party could use some more recognition. But I'm not too hopeful to have any impact: I live in California, so my vote is terribly diluted anyway...

#7 Alien65

• 115 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:59 AM

There is something seriously wrong with our democratic process. Considering the enormous challenges the next president will face including recession (or depression), global climate change and probably WWIII the choices are pathetic. Obama has no significant experience or qualification and McCain is already having "senior moments". I would sleep a lot better with a successful and experienced ex president in the whitehouse even if his job title is "first lady".

#8 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:11 PM

McCain fears Obama, evidently.

#9 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:05 PM

If John McCain is elected president ... nothing will chance.

He'll just pick up where George left off. He won't even make the slightest difference.

#10 spaceistheplace

• 397 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:23 PM

I like Obama.

#11 modelcadet

• 443 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:57 AM

http://www.youtube.c...election-5.html

I really hope that either:
1. You're being sarcastic, or
2. You don't vote.

Firstly, propor protocal for the *National Anthem,* not the pledge of allegiance, is to stand at attention. Not do that gay putting your hand over your heart shit. (By the way, I heard the singer for the first time... interesting take on the anthem....)

Secondly, the flag pins are stupid. I think it's much more patriotic to not send our troops to die for Haliburton... but that's just me.

Finally... I wish Obama were Muslim. Right now it's looking like anything could be better than what ignorant fuck judeo-christians have done to our country.

Edited by modelcadet, 19 February 2008 - 01:58 AM.

#12 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:21 AM

Finally... I wish Obama were Muslim.

Actually, he's half Muslim. His full name is Barack Hussein Obama.

#13 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:25 AM

Finally... I wish Obama were Muslim.

Actually, he's half Muslim. His full name is Barack Hussein Obama.

Can you be half Muslim? That's like being half Catholic. You can't really mix religions, usually. I mean, you could, but it would be wierd. And someone might want to kill you. But anyway, yeah, his dad was a Muslim of African descent, and his mom was a White girl from Kansas. (there's no place like home...) Obama has been some conventional flavor of Christian for a long time. If we elect him president, it will probably be a little harder for Islamic extremists to convince young Muslim men that we are the Great Satan.

• Lurker

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:41 AM

Firstly, propor protocal for the *National Anthem,* not the pledge of allegiance, is to stand at attention. Not do that gay putting your hand over your heart shit.

Sorry Sparky, but you're wrong. See: http://www4.law.corn...01----000-.html

In particular:
"(b) Conduct During Playing.— During a rendition of the national anthem— (1) when the flag is displayed— (A) all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart"

"(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed."

and

"Individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note..."

Edited by ludongbin, 27 February 2008 - 03:42 AM.

• Lurker

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:58 AM

Firstly, propor protocal for the *National Anthem,* not the pledge of allegiance, is to stand at attention. Not do that gay putting your hand over your heart shit.

And regarding Obama not putting his hand over his heart during the National Anthem, I found that much less insulting than shockingly lame excuse/justification he later gave to a reporter:

http://www.cnn.com/2...ama.patriotism/

Obama replied that his choice not to put his hand on his heart is a behavior that "would disqualify about three-quarters of the people who have ever gone to a football game or baseball game."

Is this man running for President of the United States or fan of the year for the local football/baseball team?

#16 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:22 AM

Obama's lack of a weird-ass quasi religious affectation over the freaking National Anthem (of all things) makes me want to vote for him even more. For what it's worth, like a lot of people, I had no idea that you were "supposed to" put your hand over your heart for the NA. I thought that was for the flag salute, and for the NA you just stand. But then I haven't read Section 36 of the US Code lately.

Phony patriotism makes me sick. Like all the Republicans that wear flag pins in their lapels while they rape our values and pillage our country... Real patriotism isn't about stupid displays, it's about what you do for your country.

#17 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:05 PM

Does it really matter who is elected?

#18 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:35 PM

Not really, but it would be nice to have someone else other then a conservative senior citizen as president. :p

• Lurker

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:24 PM

Obama's lack of a weird-ass quasi religious affectation over the freaking National Anthem (of all things) makes me want to vote for him even more.

I suspect the smell of his sh*t would likely exert the same effect on you as well.

For what it's worth, like a lot of people, I had no idea that you were "supposed to" put your hand over your heart for the NA. I thought that was for the flag salute, and for the NA you just stand. But then I haven't read Section 36 of the US Code lately.

I never read the flag code until several days ago - I was taught in school and observed this at sporting events, and Veteran's and Independence day celebrations. It doesn't surprise me that there are many people that aren't aware of this, but it is quite surprising that a U.S. Senator is not. In any case, I don't really hold it against him, but he certainly looked like a knob standing up there with the others on the stage.

#20 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:37 AM

If Gore had been president in 2000, do you think we would have incurred a trillion dollar debt in Iraq, destroyed the lives of thousands of Americans and hundreds of thousands if not millions of Iraqis, given the biggest boost ever to Islamic extremism, and incurred the opprobrium of much of the world?

Would FEMA have been staffed with political hacks?

Would we have a subprime lending crisis today? Read this Washington Post story of how the Bush Administration actively interfered with the efforts of state Attorneys General to address dangerous lending practices before they got out of hand.

If the answer to each of these is "yes", then I guess it doesn't matter who's elected.

Edited by niner, 29 February 2008 - 03:50 AM.

#21 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:38 AM

Obama's lack of a weird-ass quasi religious affectation over the freaking National Anthem (of all things) makes me want to vote for him even more.

I suspect the smell of his sh*t would likely exert the same effect on you as well.

Kinda reaching for the clever retort, aren't we?

#22 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:46 PM

If Gore had been president in 2000, do you think we would have incurred a trillion dollar debt in Iraq, destroyed the lives of thousands of Americans and hundreds of thousands if not millions of Iraqis, given the biggest boost ever to Islamic extremism, and incurred the opprobrium of much of the world?

Would FEMA have been staffed with political hacks?

Would we have a subprime lending crisis today? Read this Washington Post story of how the Bush Administration actively interfered with the efforts of state Attorneys General to address dangerous lending practices before they got out of hand.

If the answer to each of these is "yes", then I guess it doesn't matter who's elected.

Valid points. But isn't it likely that these types of events would have simply been delayed until such an administration eventually did get into power?

#23 Liquidus

• 446 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:14 PM

If I were American, I'd likely vote Obama this election. If his foreign policy is as legitimate as he makes it seem, then he could be a fine president.

• Lurker

Posted 01 March 2008 - 02:18 AM

Too clever for you, eh? How about this? The weird-ass quasi-religious fervour of many of Obama's supporters makes me want to vote for him even less.

#25 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 02:22 AM

Too clever for you, eh? How about this? The weird-ass quasi-religious fervour of many of Obama's supporters makes me want to vote for him even less.

Yeah, I'm just brilliance impaired. Apparently I dissed your deeply seated tribalism... Sorry about that.

• Lurker

Posted 01 March 2008 - 02:47 AM

Yeah, I'm just brilliance impaired. Apparently I dissed your deeply seated tribalism... Sorry about that.

Well, I am an American and I'm pretty sure Barak Obama is as well. You might want to consider applying for political asylum at the UN.

#27 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:33 AM

Well, I am an American and I'm pretty sure Barak Obama is as well. You might want to consider applying for political asylum at the UN.

Well duh. Of course you're an American. It's your deeply seated American tribalism that I dissed, right? If not, how about explaining what the problem is instead of hurling childish insults?

• Lurker

Posted 01 March 2008 - 06:07 AM

Well duh. Of course you're an American. It's your deeply seated American tribalism that I dissed, right? If not, how about explaining what the problem is instead of hurling childish insults?

You don't think referring to a traditional and rather harmless display of patriotism as "weird-ass quasi religious affectation" is insulting and childish? Do you think Senator Obama would agree with you? Personally I would not presume to fathom the sources of people's outward expressions of patriotism - regardless of their political affiliation. I do know countless men and women - many who have sacrificed much more than I have or ever will for the United States - have stood at attention with hand over heart for the national anthem. Personally, I feel deeply humbled.

Edited by ludongbin, 01 March 2008 - 06:09 AM.

#29 gashinshotan

• 443 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:18 AM

You don't think referring to a traditional and rather harmless display of patriotism as "weird-ass quasi religious affectation" is insulting and childish? Do you think Senator Obama would agree with you? Personally I would not presume to fathom the sources of people's outward expressions of patriotism - regardless of their political affiliation. I do know countless men and women - many who have sacrificed much more than I have or ever will for the United States - have stood at attention with hand over heart for the national anthem. Personally, I feel deeply humbled.

I believe Obama will be assasinated. He's pissing off the wrong people on both sides of the political spectrum and he's going to pay for it. Obama is nothing more than a media hack, running on peoples' emotions. His success merely reflects the pathetic, feminized, ignorant, and retarded state of the American people, as reflected in its failing economy, culture, and political influence.

#30 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:40 AM

Insulting, yes. That's why I said sorry. Childish? I'd say it was positively sophomoric! That's about ten grades beyond your "sh*t smelling" comment. You probably think I'm some kind of "America Hater". Is that it? Sorry, wrong. I love my country, and the hairs stand up on my neck too when the Veterans float goes by on Memorial Day. I just happen to have a problem with Neocon pseudo-patriots who wouldn't be caught dead without a flag pin in their lapel while they wipe their ass with the Constitution. That kind of thing has sensitized me to the use and misuse of our country's symbols for purposes of manipulating people into voting against their self interest.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users