Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Sunscreen Profiles

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#1 Eva Victoria

• 887 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:25 PM

Here are some sunscreen profiles you guys can dwell on.
The left diagram shows the protection range (320-400nm)
The right one the filtering ability of the product: how much UV rays it lets through into your skin!

If you're wondering about your sunscreen's efficiency please send me the name and the active ingredients (in %) so I'll post the sunscreen profile of your sunscreen.

MD FORMULATIONS TOTAL PROTECTOR 30 FACE

Ingredients from packaging: OCTYL METHOXYCINNAMATE, ZINC OXIDE (CI 77947), ALLANTOIN. OTHER INGREDIENTS: PURIFIED WATER, CLYCERYL STEARATE, C12-15 AKLYL BENZOATE, GLYCERIN, STEARETH-2, STEARETH-100, TRICONTANYL PVP, PEG-100 STEARATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, XANTHUN GUM, CETYL HYDROXYETHYLCELLULOSE, DIMETHICONE, DISODIUM EDTA, DIAZOLIDINYL UREA (AND) IODOPROPYNL BUTYLCARBAMATE, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN.

EAU THERMALE AVENE SUNSCREEN CREAM FOR SENSITIVE AREAS SPF 50
Ingredients from packaging: Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 14.86%; Zinc Oxide 6.86% ; Inactive Ingredients: Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride; Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacryladipate-2; Hydrogenated Polyisobutene; Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil; Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum); Water (Aqua); Beeswax (Cera Alba); Silica; Dimethyl Silylate; BHT; C20-40 Pareth-10; Cetyl Alcohol; Cetyl Phosphate; Glyceryl Linoleate; Glyceryl Stearate; Iron Oxides (CI 77492/CI 77491/CI 77499); Methicone; Methylparaben; Sodium Hydroxide; Tocopheryl Glucoside; Triethanolamine; Triethoxycaprylylsilane; Trimethoxycaprylylsilane

La Roche Posay AntiHelios: SPF 50+ Fluide Extreme: Aqua/Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Isononyl Isononanoate, Octocrylene, Alcohol Dentat., Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Glycerin, Titanium Dioxide, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Bis-Ethylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine, Dimethicone, Propylene Glycol, PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Silica, Nylon-12, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Drometrizole Trisiloxane, Ethylhexyl Triazone, Alumina, Butylparaben, Diphenyl Dimethicone, Ethylparaben, Glycine Soja/Soybean Oil, Isobutylparaben, Lauryl PEG/PPG-18/18 Methicone, Methylparaben, Pentasodium Ethylenediamine Tetramethylene Phosphonate, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, Terephthalylidene Dicamphor Sulfonic Acid, Tocopherol, Triethanolamine, (Code FIL: C19096/2).
topic title edited: lower case letters

Attached Files

Edited by Matthias, 16 April 2008 - 11:33 PM.

#2 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:30 PM

Nivea Light Feeling Suncreme SPF30

Here are some sunscreen profiles you guys can dwell on.
The left diagram shows the protection range (320-400nm)
The right one the filtering ability of the product: how much UV rays it lets through into your skin!

If you're wondering about your sunscreen's efficiency please send me the name and the active ingredients (in %) so I'll post the sunscreen profile of your sunscreen.

MD FORMULATIONS TOTAL PROTECTOR 30 FACE

Ingredients from packaging: OCTYL METHOXYCINNAMATE, ZINC OXIDE (CI 77947), ALLANTOIN. OTHER INGREDIENTS: PURIFIED WATER, CLYCERYL STEARATE, C12-15 AKLYL BENZOATE, GLYCERIN, STEARETH-2, STEARETH-100, TRICONTANYL PVP, PEG-100 STEARATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, XANTHUN GUM, CETYL HYDROXYETHYLCELLULOSE, DIMETHICONE, DISODIUM EDTA, DIAZOLIDINYL UREA (AND) IODOPROPYNL BUTYLCARBAMATE, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN.

EAU THERMALE AVENE SUNSCREEN CREAM FOR SENSITIVE AREAS SPF 50
Ingredients from packaging: Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 14.86%; Zinc Oxide 6.86% ; Inactive Ingredients: Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride; Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacryladipate-2; Hydrogenated Polyisobutene; Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil; Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum); Water (Aqua); Beeswax (Cera Alba); Silica; Dimethyl Silylate; BHT; C20-40 Pareth-10; Cetyl Alcohol; Cetyl Phosphate; Glyceryl Linoleate; Glyceryl Stearate; Iron Oxides (CI 77492/CI 77491/CI 77499); Methicone; Methylparaben; Sodium Hydroxide; Tocopheryl Glucoside; Triethanolamine; Triethoxycaprylylsilane; Trimethoxycaprylylsilane

La Roche Posay AntiHelios: SPF 50+ Fluide Extreme: Aqua/Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Isononyl Isononanoate, Octocrylene, Alcohol Dentat., Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Glycerin, Titanium Dioxide, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Bis-Ethylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine, Dimethicone, Propylene Glycol, PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Silica, Nylon-12, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Drometrizole Trisiloxane, Ethylhexyl Triazone, Alumina, Butylparaben, Diphenyl Dimethicone, Ethylparaben, Glycine Soja/Soybean Oil, Isobutylparaben, Lauryl PEG/PPG-18/18 Methicone, Methylparaben, Pentasodium Ethylenediamine Tetramethylene Phosphonate, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, Terephthalylidene Dicamphor Sulfonic Acid, Tocopherol, Triethanolamine, (Code FIL: C19096/2).

Attached Files

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 sdxl

• 391 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:40 PM

:)
- It's Anthelios, not Antihelios.
- There is no PBSA or 4-MBC in this sunscreen, so what is this doing in that graph? Where is the EHT?
- Since sunscreens are regulated as cosmetics in the EU, they are not required to list percentages. How you got hold of them is a miracle to me.
- The fluide extreme is reformulated.

#4 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:54 PM

Was too quick :-D

- There is no PBSA or 4-MBC in this sunscreen, so what is this doing in that graph? Where is the EHT?
- Since sunscreens are regulated as cosmetics in the EU, they are not required to list percentages. How you got hold of them is a miracle to me.

True. But when you work with the formulator it is not difficult to have the exact formulation. In %. This is for the "old" Fluide Extreme. Not the one from 2008!
They changed a bit + put an antioxidant plant extract that is suppossed to have cell protecting abilities (UVB protection)

Edited by Eva Victoria, 15 April 2008 - 06:55 PM.

#5 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:42 PM

Here is the profile of the new La Rpche Posay Fluide Extreme SPF 50+ (2008 version). Data is the courtesy of
L' Oreal.

This simulator takes into account that people don't use the recommended amount of sunscreens (which gives the labelling of the product) but tend to use less. Hence the calculated SPF and UVA protection of the sunscreen is ususally lower than it is on the bottle of the actual product!

Attached Files

#6 sdxl

• 391 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:19 PM

There is no PBSA in the old or new formula of fluide extreme! So, what is it doing there? And where is the Mexoryl SX? The amount of crystalline UV absorbers seems way off. As you can see for yourself for some ingredients on LRP's international website. BMBM lists 3% or less, so anything listed next should be 3% or less. So what you have put in that sunscreen simulator is seriously flawed!

Ingredients for the 2008 formula of Fluide Extreme
AQUA, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, ISONONYL ISONONANOATE, OCTOCRYLENE, ALCOHOL DENAT., DICAPRYLYL CARBONATE, CYCLOHEXASILOXANE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, GLYCERIN, BUTYL METHOXYDIBENZOYLMETHANE, POLYMETHYLSILSESQUIOXANE, DIMETHICONE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, PEG-30 DIPOLYHYDROXYSTEARATE, NYLON-12, SILICA, DROMETRIZOLE TRISILOXANE, ETHYLHEXYL TRIAZONE, BIS-ETHYLHEXYLOXYPHENOL METHOXYPHENYL TRIAZINE, CASSIA ALATA LEAF EXTRACT, DIPHENYL, DIMETHICONE, DISTEARDIMONIUM, HECTORITE, DODECENE, LAURYL, PEG/PPG - 18/18 METHICONE, MALTODEXTRIN, PENTASODIUM, ETHYLENEDIAMINE TETRAMETHYLENE PHOSPHONATE, PHENOXYETHANOL, POLOXAMER 407, TEREPHTHALYLIDENE DICAMPHOR SULFONIC ACID, TOCOPHEROL, TRIETHANOLAMINE

#7 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 02:57 PM

I'll send your posts to L' Oreal. Let you know what they have to say.

There is no PBSA in the old or new formula of fluide extreme! So, what is it doing there? And where is the Mexoryl SX? The amount of crystalline UV absorbers seems way off. As you can see for yourself for some ingredients on LRP's international website. BMBM lists 3% or less, so anything listed next should be 3% or less. So what you have put in that sunscreen simulator is seriously flawed!

Ingredients for the 2008 formula of Fluide Extreme
AQUA, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, ISONONYL ISONONANOATE, OCTOCRYLENE, ALCOHOL DENAT., DICAPRYLYL CARBONATE, CYCLOHEXASILOXANE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, GLYCERIN, BUTYL METHOXYDIBENZOYLMETHANE, POLYMETHYLSILSESQUIOXANE, DIMETHICONE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, PEG-30 DIPOLYHYDROXYSTEARATE, NYLON-12, SILICA, DROMETRIZOLE TRISILOXANE, ETHYLHEXYL TRIAZONE, BIS-ETHYLHEXYLOXYPHENOL METHOXYPHENYL TRIAZINE, CASSIA ALATA LEAF EXTRACT, DIPHENYL, DIMETHICONE, DISTEARDIMONIUM, HECTORITE, DODECENE, LAURYL, PEG/PPG - 18/18 METHICONE, MALTODEXTRIN, PENTASODIUM, ETHYLENEDIAMINE TETRAMETHYLENE PHOSPHONATE, PHENOXYETHANOL, POLOXAMER 407, TEREPHTHALYLIDENE DICAMPHOR SULFONIC ACID, TOCOPHEROL, TRIETHANOLAMINE

#8 pseudo-princess

• 25 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 07:35 PM

What about... Biotherm Face Multi-Protection Sun Cream SPF 50.
It blocks out UVB and UVA rays, so does that make it just a physical sunscreen, or a physical and chemical sunscreen?
In other words...how many times per day should it be applied? (every two hours?)

I was told when I bought it that it only needs to be applied once every eight hours because it also serves as a moisturizer, but I'm not sure if that's right.

Thanks!

Edited by pseudo-princess, 02 May 2008 - 07:48 PM.

#9 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:04 PM

I don't really know the composition of this product. If you send it to me I can answer your question properly.
Otherwise I can only guess if it was sold in the EU than it has the Mexoryl filters (since it is made by L' Oreal) which are a composition of chemical/physical filters or it has the classic L' Oreal composition for day-cream: AVO, OMC, Sulfonic Acid and/or TiO2.
In any case these filters have to be reapplied every 2 h!

It blocks out UVB and UVA rays, so does that make it just a physical sunscreen, or a physical and chemical sunscreen?
In other words...how many times per day should it be applied? (every two hours?)

I was told when I bought it that it only needs to be applied once every eight hours because it also serves as a moisturizer, but I'm not sure if that's right.

Thanks!

#10 pseudo-princess

• 25 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 01:33 AM

Active Ingredients: Octocrylene 10%, titanium Dioxide 5%, Drometriozole Trisiloxane (Mexoryl XL) 3%, Avobenzone 2%, Terephthalylidene Dicamphor Sulfonic Acid (Mexoryl XK) 2%.

I love reading what you have to say about sunscreen/skin care, Eva, super helpful for we non-scientists :)

I don't really know the composition of this product. If you send it to me I can answer your question properly.
Otherwise I can only guess if it was sold in the EU than it has the Mexoryl filters (since it is made by L' Oreal) which are a composition of chemical/physical filters or it has the classic L' Oreal composition for day-cream: AVO, OMC, Sulfonic Acid and/or TiO2.

Thanks!

#11 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 01:47 PM

Thank you for your kind words :)

Here is the sunscreenprofile of Biotherm Multi protection SS Face SPF 50.
As you can see the actual SPF is 30 and it has low UVA protection and it emits too much UVA light into your skin.
I would not use it, unless 20% ZnO would be blended in the composition (which you can do yourself). Then the the penetration of the UVA rays will be significantly lower.
(Please see attacments)

Active Ingredients: Octocrylene 10%, titanium Dioxide 5%, Drometriozole Trisiloxane (Mexoryl XL) 3%, Avobenzone 2%, Terephthalylidene Dicamphor Sulfonic Acid (Mexoryl XK) 2%.

I love reading what you have to say about sunscreen/skin care, Eva, super helpful for we non-scientists :)

Thanks!

Attached Files

#12 pseudo-princess

• 25 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:00 AM

Thank you, that's super helpful!

Thank you for your kind words :)

Here is the sunscreenprofile of Biotherm Multi protection SS Face SPF 50.
As you can see the actual SPF is 30 and it has low UVA protection and it emits too much UVA light into your skin.
I would not use it, unless 20% ZnO would be blended in the composition (which you can do yourself). Then the the penetration of the UVA rays will be significantly lower.
(Please see attacments)

I love reading what you have to say about sunscreen/skin care, Eva, super helpful for we non-scientists :p

Thanks!

#13 pseudo-princess

• 25 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:29 PM

Just another thing I had a question about...

La Roche Posay Anthelios 50+ contains Octocrylene, so that means it would have to be applied every 1-2 hours. However, with a sunscreen like Eau Thermale Avene Sunscreen Cream SPF 50, where the only active ingredients are Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide, the sunscreen doesn't have to be applied that frequently. Am I right?

#14 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:43 PM

Yes. Since Avene's Sunscreen SPF 50 has only physical agents (ZnO + TiO2) they stay on the surface on the skin unharmed by sunrays. However it easily wipes off or washes off. So if you bathe or dry yourself with a towel or sweat excessively it is wise to reapply it again.

Chemical sunscreens or combination of chemical and physical sunscreens should be reapplied after 2h. The protection of these filters are weakend by UVR therefore their protection is not as adequate as it originally was. Especially the protection against UVA rays.

Just another thing I had a question about...

La Roche Posay Anthelios 50+ contains Octocrylene, so that means it would have to be applied every 1-2 hours. However, with a sunscreen like Eau Thermale Avene Sunscreen Cream SPF 50, where the only active ingredients are Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide, the sunscreen doesn't have to be applied that frequently. Am I right?

Edited by Eva Victoria, 14 May 2008 - 02:44 PM.

#15 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 12:59 PM

Clinique Super City block SPF 40

Attached Files

#16 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:39 PM

Estee Lauder: Daywear Plus Daycreme or Lotion SPF15

Attached Files

#17 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:45 PM

Anyone who is considering using these suncreens or any others should consider the discussion in this topic:

http://www.imminst.o...ppl-t21704.html

On vitamin D absorbtion, daily recommnded intake and vitamin D from supplements.

#18 wydell

• 503 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 03:50 PM

Any opinions on this sunscreen:

Dessert Essence - SPF 30

Active Ingredients:
Zinc Oxide (Microfine): 6% - Sunscreen.
Titanium Dioxide (Microfine): 8% - Sunscreen.

Ingredients: Aqueous Infusion of Certified Organic Extracts: Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf*, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit*, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf* and Punica Granatum (Pomegranate)*, Organic Vegetalbe Glycerin, Cyclomethicone, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride**, Cetearyl Alcohol**, Glycerin, Stearate**, Xanthan Gum, d-alpha Tocopherol (Vitamin E)**, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed, Ubiquinone (Coenzyme Q10), Sodium AscorbylPhosphate (Vitamin C), Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Essential Oil, Certified Organic Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil***, Phenoxyethanol, 1,2-Octanediol.

* Certified Organic by QAI.
** Certified Organic by EcoCert.

I pre-mix grape seed powder (activin) into this sunscreen. The grape seed takes the white color away and probably has some benefit for the skin. Without the added grape seed, it goes on way too white despite the microfine claim. Since the grape seed powder removes some of the moisture from the sunscreen, I put on shea butter before applying so I can spread it evenly. It looks grayish brown. It only lasts a couple of hours before it is absorped into the skin.

This mix will stain shirts though if you are not careful.

#19 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 06:29 PM

There are better sunscreens than this, I'm afraid. Micronized ZnO has much lower UVA protection than in conventional form.

Any opinions on this sunscreen:

Dessert Essence - SPF 30

Active Ingredients:
Zinc Oxide (Microfine): 6% - Sunscreen.
Titanium Dioxide (Microfine): 8% - Sunscreen.

Ingredients: Aqueous Infusion of Certified Organic Extracts: Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf*, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit*, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf* and Punica Granatum (Pomegranate)*, Organic Vegetalbe Glycerin, Cyclomethicone, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride**, Cetearyl Alcohol**, Glycerin, Stearate**, Xanthan Gum, d-alpha Tocopherol (Vitamin E)**, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed, Ubiquinone (Coenzyme Q10), Sodium AscorbylPhosphate (Vitamin C), Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Essential Oil, Certified Organic Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil***, Phenoxyethanol, 1,2-Octanediol.

* Certified Organic by QAI.
** Certified Organic by EcoCert.

I pre-mix grape seed powder (activin) into this sunscreen. The grape seed takes the white color away and probably has some benefit for the skin. Without the added grape seed, it goes on way too white despite the microfine claim. Since the grape seed powder removes some of the moisture from the sunscreen, I put on shea butter before applying so I can spread it evenly. It looks grayish brown. It only lasts a couple of hours before it is absorped into the skin.

This mix will stain shirts though if you are not careful.

Attached Files

#20 wydell

• 503 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:46 PM

Eva:

So what do you think of this database?

http://www.cosmetics...h...ns=1&best=1

Though it breaks down sunscreens by sun hazard and health hazard, I am still having difficulty picking one.

#21 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:54 PM

I'm looking for the ingredient list of l'Oreal solar expertise facial sun cream (SPF30 and SPF 50), but it seems difficult to navigate on the l'Oreal site to find some in-depth non-consumer information. The box just contains a list of ingredients without percentages. Very frustrating...
Or did I drink to much wine yesterday?... :-D

#22 Gerald W. Gaston

• 529 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:52 PM

Eva:

She and others have referred to it in other posts... You may see it listed with this URL as well:

http://skindeep.ewg.org

#23 sdxl

• 391 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:33 PM

I'm looking for the ingredient list of l'Oreal solar expertise facial sun cream (SPF30 and SPF 50), but it seems difficult to navigate on the l'Oreal site to find some in-depth non-consumer information. The box just contains a list of ingredients without percentages. Very frustrating...
Or did I drink to much wine yesterday?... :-D

As you can read in my previous post in this topic, sunscreens are regulated as cosmetics in the EU. Manufactures are not obligated to provide you this information, unlike countries where sunscreens are regulated as OTC drugs.

And knowing the percentages of active ingredients of the sunscreen doesn't tell you everything. Encapsulated actives, certain polymers, microspheres, etc can substantially increase performance of the formula.

#24 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:29 PM

I like this site although it only states sunscreen-profiles of sunscreens that are sold in the US. Since it is difficult to find a proper sunscreen in the US due to FDA regulations, I only use this site for finding some compositions of cosmetics (like creams from Estee Lauder Cosmetics).

Eva:

Though it breaks down sunscreens by sun hazard and health hazard, I am still having difficulty picking one.

#25 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 05:35 PM

Supergoop SPF 30 available in the USA

Attached Files

#26 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 05:36 PM

Ch. Dior: Capture R 60/80 Finish UV SPF 35 PA+++ Sold in all continents.

Attached Files

#27 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 07:13 PM

Avene Cleanance Sunscreen SPF40 spec. for oily skin. New. EU only.

Attached Files

#28 Brafarality

• 684 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:53 PM

Eva,

Wow.
Really really cool information.

A super heliophobe here, so information like this is priceless.

Out of curiosity (any 1 of the 3 :p ):

Olay Complete Defense Sensitive Skin SPF 30: 6% micronized zinc oxide (sheer, as they call it), 7.5% octinoxate, 2.5% octisalate, 2.5% octocrylene
Olay Complete Sensitive Skin SPF 15: 3% micronized ('sheer', as they call it) zinc oxide, and, I think, 6% octinoxate
Blue Lizard Suncream Sensitive Skin: 5% titanium dioxide, 10% micronized zinc oxide

#29 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:07 PM

Thank you :~

I don`t think any of these sunscreens have good enough UVA protection. From the actives I can see they are made for the US market.
You can find much better sunscreens than these.
Bioderma SPF50+ PA 35
Nivea Light Feelling sensation SPF50 PA 22
Garnier Ambre solaire Sensitive SPF50+ PA20
LA Roche Posay Anthelios SPF50+ PA28
You can find them online with shipping to the US.

Here are the graphs for the sunscreens you have asked.

Hope one day all these graphs will be visible on the packaging so everybody could see what real protection they are using. :)

Eva,

Wow.
Really really cool information.

A super heliophobe here, so information like this is priceless.

Out of curiosity (any 1 of the 3 :p ):

Olay Complete Defense Sensitive Skin SPF 30: 6% micronized zinc oxide (sheer, as they call it), 7.5% octinoxate, 2.5% octisalate, 2.5% octocrylene
Olay Complete Sensitive Skin SPF 15: 3% micronized ('sheer', as they call it) zinc oxide, and, I think, 6% octinoxate
Blue Lizard Suncream Sensitive Skin: 5% titanium dioxide, 10% micronized zinc oxide

Attached Files

#30 Brafarality

• 684 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:09 PM

You can find much better sunscreens than these.
Bioderma SPF50+ PA 35
Nivea Light Feelling sensation SPF50 PA 22
Garnier Ambre solaire Sensitive SPF50+ PA20
LA Roche Posay Anthelios SPF50+ PA28
You can find them online with shipping to the US.

Here are the graphs for the sunscreens you have asked.

Thanks and thanks. :)

I will definitely be ordering Bioderma SPF50+ or Nivea Light Feeling Sensation SPF50.
20% zinc oxide is a dream come true.

I never fully trusted Olay Complete and Olay Complete Defense:
Whenever out and about in the daylight for more than a few moments, I would super over apply them to the point where I was covered in an embarassingly thick mask, and, still, I was never certain. Now I see that my uncertainties were not without premise: only Blue Lizard qualifies as somewhat adequate, and that is the one I used least frequently.

Extremely photosensitive skin compels all these obsessions. The unexpected antiaging benefit only became apparent later on, as I hit my early to mid 30s. Now, vainly, it is a primary focus.

I have read elsewhere that overapplying physical sunblock increases protection (it was anecdotal and not researched, I believe), but have never found adequate verification or recurrence, though a thought experiment helped a bit:

Setting: a fish tank
Fill it to 2 inches with very slightly opaque solution (maybe even filled with colloidal microfine zinc oxide...is zinc oxide in water considered colloidal? No idea. Too ADD at moment to research!), and see how much light reaches the bottom.
Fill another 2 inches and check again.
Repeat till 10 inch high tank is filled.

The ratio:
2 inches of semi-opaque solution is to a thin layer of sunblock as 10 inches of semi-opaque solution is to a very thick layer of sunblock.
Silly and simplistic, I know.

Otherwise, majorly awesome 3 reports.
Thanks again, so much. :~

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users