Sunscreen Profiles

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#31 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:56 PM

Thanks and thanks. :)

I will definitely be ordering Bioderma SPF50+ or Nivea Light Feeling Sensation SPF50.
20% zinc oxide is a dream come true.

These sunscreens do not contain 20%ZnO just you know. They infact don't contain any :( But it is easy to put an extra 20% ZnO (not the micro variant!) and then you'll have an even better/higher UVA protection!

I never fully trusted Olay Complete and Olay Complete Defense:
Whenever out and about in the daylight for more than a few moments, I would super over apply them to the point where I was covered in an embarassingly thick mask, and, still, I was never certain. Now I see that my uncertainties were not without premise: only Blue Lizard qualifies as somewhat adequate, and that is the one I used least frequently.

Extremely photosensitive skin compels all these obsessions. The unexpected antiaging benefit only became apparent later on, as I hit my early to mid 30s. Now, vainly, it is a primary focus.

Here you see, it did work! :p

I have read elsewhere that overapplying physical sunblock increases protection (it was anecdotal and not researched, I believe), but have never found adequate verification or recurrence, though a thought experiment helped a bit:

It does of course and your experiment has demonstrated it :~

Setting: a fish tank
Fill it to 2 inches with very slightly opaque solution (maybe even filled with colloidal microfine zinc oxide...is zinc oxide in water considered colloidal? No idea. Too ADD at moment to research!), and see how much light reaches the bottom.
Fill another 2 inches and check again.
Repeat till 10 inch high tank is filled.

The ratio:
2 inches of semi-opaque solution is to a thin layer of sunblock as 10 inches of semi-opaque solution is to a very thick layer of sunblock.
Silly and simplistic, I know.

Otherwise, majorly awesome 3 reports.
Thanks again, so much. :~

You are welcome and if there is anything I can help you with, just let me know :)

Edited by Eva Victoria, 13 June 2008 - 01:57 PM.

#32 Kingston

• 15 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 09:19 PM

Hi Eva, just joined here but have seen and learned a lot from your informative posts! I ordered Bioderma Fluide and Anthelios Fluide Extreme (thanx to your suggestions) and received them through the mail today. My question is since I live in the States and shipping was from France, what are your thoughts on heat deactivating the uva/uvb ingredients. When I opened the package the sunscreens were fairly hot and I was hoping that they would still be effective and I wouldnt have to order from a closer destination. Thanks!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 cillakat

• 13 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 03:34 AM

Keep in mind that CIBA runs high for physical only.....and for s/s containing stabilized avo for it's UVA protection, it is skewed when entering spf (skewed to the high side).

Adding ZnO to your avobenzone containing s/s may be unwise if you're like to get the full protection from the avobenzone you've paid for. it will likely degrade your avo protection and you'll be applying less of your more highly protective s/s.

measure your 1/4 tsp to make sure you're getting the proper amount.

;)
k

#34 cillakat

• 13 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 03:36 AM

Hi Eva, just joined here but have seen and learned a lot from your informative posts! I ordered Bioderma Fluide and Anthelios Fluide Extreme (thanx to your suggestions) and received them through the mail today. My question is since I live in the States and shipping was from France, what are your thoughts on heat deactivating the uva/uvb ingredients. When I opened the package the sunscreens were fairly hot and I was hoping that they would still be effective and I wouldnt have to order from a closer destination. Thanks!

Kingston, over time you don't want to let your s/s heat up but from this 'single' episode they should be okay.

keep in mind that if using 1.25 mL per application (at least once a day and maybe much more) your s/s will only last a max of 24 days for the bioderma. can't recal how big the lrp FE is..... 50 mL?

i find that both are very easily displaced (the bioderma more than the lrp) and that reapplication is necessary.

K

#35 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 03:03 PM

I don't agree on that adding ZnO will lower your UVA protection from AVO :(

It has been the view of the FDA hence they don't allow mixing AVO with physical sunscreens and the max concentration of AVO is 3% contrary of 5% (EU) and 10% (Japan). Lower concentration of AVO makes it a real challange to be able to formulate sunscreens with adequate UVA (2-1) protection espetially whn you are not even allowed to boost the UVA protection with ZnO or TinosorbS+M or MexurylSx+XL :(

So you tell me, guys how good UVA protection there is in a sunscreen destined the US? ;)

But EU sunscreens often containing both TiO and AVO (stabilized by Tinosorb or/and Octocrylene). Physical agents actually boost the longUVA protection of a sunscreen and make it last longer (if the right amount is added) since heat and UVR decomposes chemical/organic sunscreenagents (like AVO).

On the Ciba sunscreen simulators:
I have checked the UVA1 and 2 protection of several sunscreens in the lab in vivo and they do correspond more or less to the graphs here.
The only thing the Ciba simulator does not take into account is that many sunscreens use silicone in the bases which can additionally boost the SPF (UVB protection). So often the SPF calculated by the Ciba simulator is lower than in reality.

Keep in mind that CIBA runs high for physical only.....and for s/s containing stabilized avo for it's UVA protection, it is skewed when entering spf (skewed to the high side).

Adding ZnO to your avobenzone containing s/s may be unwise if you're like to get the full protection from the avobenzone you've paid for. it will likely degrade your avo protection and you'll be applying less of your more highly protective s/s.

measure your 1/4 tsp to make sure you're getting the proper amount.

;)
k

Edited by Eva Victoria, 15 June 2008 - 03:55 PM.

#36 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 03:07 PM

These sunscreens contain stabilized sunscreen ingredients so they should withstand some heat without dramatically decreasing their protection against UVR.
They are made to be able to carried to the beach and being reapplied so they'll last at least one beach-season (3 months) in temperatures around 25-30C.
Kept cooler and dark they can last upto 2 years even after opening.

#37 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:19 PM

SkinCeuticals: Active UV defense SPF15 (is exactly the same product as La Roche Posay: Anthelios SPF15 US only)
SkinCeuticals: Active Sport Sunscreen SPf45
SkinCeuticals: Physical UVdefense SPF30 (labeled SPF30, actual protection:20)

All these sunscreens are available in the US. Especially formulated for the US market by L'Oreal.

Attached Files

#38 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:05 PM

NEUTROGENA - ULTRA SHEER SUNBLOCK SPF 85

CLAIMS Ultra Light , Clean Feel with Helioplex Broad Spectrum UVA/UVB.

Non-greasy, leaves skin soft and smooth N°1 Dermatologist recommended suncare.

Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Sunblock is a breakthrough in sun protection. It protects with advanced broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection - and combines it with Dry Touch technology to provide an ultra-light, non-shiny finish. This lightweight sunblock applies easily and has a light fresh scent. Gentle enough for even sensitive skin. Waterproof, sweatproof, resists rub-off Light fresh scent , Oil free, PABA free.

The American Cancer Society (ACS) and Neutrogena, working together to help prevent skin cancer, support the use of sunscreen. The ACS does not endorse any specific product. Neutrogena pays a royalty to the ACS for the use of its logo.

Directions: Apply liberally 15 minutes before sun exposure. For added protection, reapply after swimming, excessive perspiration, towel drying or extended sun exposure.

Warnings: For external use only. Not to be swallowed. Avoid contact with eyes. Discontinue use if signs of irritation or rash appear. Use on children under 6 months of age only with advice of a physician. Keep this and all drugs out or reach of children. In case of accidental ingestion, seek professional assistance or contact a Poison Control Center immediately. INGREDIENTS Active Ingredients: Avobenzone (3%), Homosalate (15%), Octisalate (5%), Octocrylene (4.5%), Oxybenzone (6%).
Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Silica, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Beeswax, Ethylhexylglycerin, PEG 100 Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate, Diethylhexyl 2, 6-Naphthalate, Acrylates C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, BHT, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Acrylates Dimethicone Copolymer, Acrylates C12-22 Alkyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Disodium EDTA, Triethanolamine, Fragrance, Methylisothiazolinone, May Contain: Chlorphenesin, Benzisothiazolinone. (1334-42A). .

Attached Files

Edited by Eva Victoria, 26 June 2008 - 03:06 PM.

#39 Mia K.

• 176 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:11 AM

I am so glad to have happened upon this forum before beginning a Retin-A regimen! I have learned so much about UVA protection - thanks to all who have contributed.

Eva, I have ordered the Nivea Light Sensation s/s you recommend. In the meantime I am using the following:

Peter Thomas Roth Uber Dry spf 30
Ingredients:
Active Ingredients: Avobenzone 2%, Homosalate 8%, Octinoxate 7.5%, Octisalate 5%, Oxybenzone 3.5%

Other Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Silica, Adipic Acid/Diethylene Gycol/Glycerin Crosspolymer, Glycerin, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Dimethicone, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Trimethylsiloxy Silicate, Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Phospholipids, EDTA, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Squalane, Polysorbate 60, Bisabolol, Cetyl Dimethicone, Xanthan Gum, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Isobutylparaben

I would very much appreciate seeing its profile, please.

By the way, I live in Tropical So. Florida, US, am very fair complected, resolutely avoid the sun ~ and was carded this past Thanksgiving when purchasing wine for our feast (I'm female, 45y). Must be doing something right. :)

Thank you in advance,
MK

Edited by Mia K., 28 June 2008 - 01:23 AM.

#40 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 11:00 AM

Hi Mia!

Here is the graph of Peter Thomas Roth Uber Dry spf 30.

It could be better :) Esp. in the UVA range:(

If you live in Florida you ought to use a better UVA protection in my opinion. I used to live in Sarasota for several years and it is really tough on your skin!

Post the same sunscreen with an additional 20% ZnO just to show you ho much better the UVA protection becomes. (You can buy Zinc Oxide at the local pharmacy or online. Please note that micronized ZnO wont give you quiet so high UVA protection as non-micronized one!You measure 20%. F.ex. your sunscreen is 40ml, you'll need 10ml og ZnO (total 50ml; 10 ml of 50ml=1/5=20%). According to the ingredients list it should not be a problem to mix ZnO in the sunscreen. Shake well and let it dissolve for 12h. You should shake the mixture each time you use it.

It can be much more whitening than your original sunscreen! But on the plus side: it can give yoou a beautiful sheen on the skin! Olso making make-up last longer!)

I have found 2 SS comercially available:

Nivea Light Feeling Sensation SPF50+ UVA 20(OMC, TinosorbS, AVO, TiO2, Ensulizole, Ethylhexyl Tirazone with Microbeeds: OMC+AVO: it makes the sunscreen stay on the surface of the skin and gives a beautiful semi-matte finish to the skin that actually looks better than with make-up on!)

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk

Bioderma: Photoderm MAX Fluide SPF50+ UVA 35 with TinosorbM+S, AVO, OCR

These Sunscreens are only available in the EU! Both follow the recommended European Sunscreen Standards! (See Colipa)
Can be order online with shipping to the US

http://www.frenchcosmeticsforless.com

I am so glad to have happened upon this forum before beginning a Retin-A regimen! I have learned so much about UVA protection - thanks to all who have contributed.

Eva, I have ordered the Nivea Light Sensation s/s you recommend. In the meantime I am using the following:

Peter Thomas Roth Uber Dry spf 30
Ingredients:
Active Ingredients: Avobenzone 2%, Homosalate 8%, Octinoxate 7.5%, Octisalate 5%, Oxybenzone 3.5%

Other Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Silica, Adipic Acid/Diethylene Gycol/Glycerin Crosspolymer, Glycerin, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Dimethicone, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Trimethylsiloxy Silicate, Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Phospholipids, EDTA, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Squalane, Polysorbate 60, Bisabolol, Cetyl Dimethicone, Xanthan Gum, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Isobutylparaben

I would very much appreciate seeing its profile, please.

By the way, I live in Tropical So. Florida, US, am very fair complected, resolutely avoid the sun ~ and was carded this past Thanksgiving when purchasing wine for our feast (I'm female, 45y). Must be doing something right. :p

Thank you in advance,
MK

Attached Files

#41 Mia K.

• 176 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:05 PM

Thanks Eva for the quick, thorough response.

The UberDry looks better than I'd expected, and I agree it can be improved upon. I'm not (yet?) into DIY skin care, but your suggestion to add 20% ZnO sounds intriguingly simple.

Over the PTR I do use L'Oreal's True Match foundation spf 17 (active: Titanium Dioxide 3.1%) and finish with either Paula'sSelect powder spf 15 (active: Titanium Dioxide 7% ZnO 8%) or Colorescience spf 30 (active: 12% ea Titanium Dioxide and ZnO). I assume these provide added UVA protection at least to some extent.

As I mentioned in my first post I do have on order the Nivea Sun Light Feeling spf 50 following the link you provided in another topic. Really have high hopes for this stuff :) & hope it arrives from the UK soon!

BTY, I've read some positive reviews about Neutrogena's Age Shield Face spf 55 (contains Helioplex). It sounds more cosmetically acceptable than the Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch.

Ingredients:

Active Ingredients: Avobenzone (3%), Homosalate (10%), Octisalate (5%), Octocrylene (2.79%), Oxybenzone (6%)

Inactive Ingredients: Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Styrene Acrylates Copolymer, Silica, Diethylhexyl 2,6-Naphthalate, VP Hexadecene Copolymer, Dimethicone, Ethylhexylglycerin, Caprylyl Methicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbic Acid, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Retinyl Palmitate, Bisabolol, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Butylene Glycol, Behenyl Alcohol, BHT, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Sodium Polyacrylate, Ethylhexyl Stearate, Trideceth 6, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Ethylparaben, Phenoxyethanol

Would you please provide its profile? Thanks again!

~Mia

Edited by me for spelling. OOps!

Edited by Mia K., 28 June 2008 - 04:48 PM.

#42 Mia K.

• 176 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:44 PM

Oh!

I see you (Eva) have already posted the profile for Neut's USD-T (Helioplex) spf 55 in "Fredrik's skincare regime." No need to run the Age-Shield then; I'll judge the consistency/wearability for myself, should I go that route.

Cheers,
Mia

#43 spacetime

• 191 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 04:58 AM

Hopefully this post isn't diverging too much from the topic but I feel that the consistency, feel, cast etc of a sunscreen are just as important as the protection it provides. I purchased both Neutrogena Age Shield FACE(ASF) and Ultra Sheer Dry Touch(USDT) both SPF70 while awaiting the the Bioderma and LRP suncscreens from Europe. ASF blends in fairly well intothe skin with a slight white cast as a few people remarked that I had a pale or clammy appearance. 3 mins of vigorous rubbing during application and it's not too bad but still noticeable. It also has an oily sheen to it and in combo with my retinoid use seemed to burn quite a bit. It has a slightly oily feel initially but after 15 mins you don't feel it.

The USDT leaves a much more noticeable white cast and cannot be worn on the face as a result. It does have a matte finish but it much thicker in consistency and you can feel it on your face. Both Neutrogena sunscreens don't seem to be very waterproof. If you sweat they will both come to the surface and sweat has a milkish tint to it and again there's a noticeable white cast to skin.

Bioderma Photoderm Fluide 50+ is extremely oily and leaves a near blinding sheen to the skin. White cast isn't as noticeable but perhaps that's due to the extreme sheen. It looks like you have rubbed baby oil on your skin and thus I don't wear it unless I'm going to be in direct sunlight doing some outdoor activity.

I was thinking of trying LRP fluid extreme 50+ but I hear Mexoryl XL is oily by nature so it probably won't be much different. Perhaps the Lait Milk or Creme versions are less shiny but the consistency is likely thicker and thus unsuitable for use on the face.

I should note that I have what I guess most would say is an olive complexion. Those who of fairer skin complexions may not notice the white cast as much and these may be perfectly suitable. So the search continues for a suitable sunscreen.

#44 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 05:08 AM

I was thinking of trying LRP fluid extreme 50+ but I hear Mexoryl XL is oily by nature so it probably won't be much different. Perhaps the Lait Milk or Creme versions are less shiny but the consistency is likely thicker and thus unsuitable for use on the face.

I should note that I have what I guess most would say is an olive complexion. Those who of fairer skin complexions may not notice the white cast as much and these may be perfectly suitable. So the search continues for a suitable sunscreen.

I have some LRP fluide extreme and an olive complexion. I too found bioderma's photoderm to be a bit too oily. The LRP Fluide is amazing though. You can tell I'm wearing sunscreen (if you look closely and very carefully) but it is the most invisible of the sunscreens I've used.

I find that if I put it on right after a shower it blends in even better than otherwise. On that note I should add that if I have a bit of stubble it increases the visibility of anything I use, including the posay, by a significant degree.

#45 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:29 AM

I could not agree with you more!!!

Even though the sunscreen agents are very good in the aforementioned EU sunscreens they are not very pretty on the face :(

I have also been on the "hunt" all my life for the perfect sunscreen! The combo of the filters, the protection it can provide, the surface "sitting",the consistency and the finish it gives to the skin after application. (Hence the idea of my own sunscreen).

I have to admit the best I can come up with is still Nivea Light Feeling Sensation SPF30 (SPF 50 contains OCR which can sting the eyes and skin if you use RetinA).
Even though this sunscreen have some negative sides (added fragrance and a tiny amount of tanning activator :((( ) it is still far more superior to all sunscreens when it comes to the beautiful finish it gives to the skin after application!

A word on Nivea Light Feeling Sensation SPF 50: even though it contains OCR it is "encapsulated" in silicone and it defenetely does not sting the skin in the same extend as LRP/Mexoryl filters or Bioderma!

I have to admit that I always add 20% ZnO to both sunscreens. The result is even more mattifying and suprizingly not (much) whitening! ZnO dissolves very well in the silicone base of these sunscreens and provides additional UVA1 (long) protection! (Besides that it can also be used as an enhancer for make-up if one wishes to).

Hopefully this post isn't diverging too much from the topic but I feel that the consistency, feel, cast etc of a sunscreen are just as important as the protection it provides. I purchased both Neutrogena Age Shield FACE(ASF) and Ultra Sheer Dry Touch(USDT) both SPF70 while awaiting the the Bioderma and LRP suncscreens from Europe. ASF blends in fairly well intothe skin with a slight white cast as a few people remarked that I had a pale or clammy appearance. 3 mins of vigorous rubbing during application and it's not too bad but still noticeable. It also has an oily sheen to it and in combo with my retinoid use seemed to burn quite a bit. It has a slightly oily feel initially but after 15 mins you don't feel it.

The USDT leaves a much more noticeable white cast and cannot be worn on the face as a result. It does have a matte finish but it much thicker in consistency and you can feel it on your face. Both Neutrogena sunscreens don't seem to be very waterproof. If you sweat they will both come to the surface and sweat has a milkish tint to it and again there's a noticeable white cast to skin.

Bioderma Photoderm Fluide 50+ is extremely oily and leaves a near blinding sheen to the skin. White cast isn't as noticeable but perhaps that's due to the extreme sheen. It looks like you have rubbed baby oil on your skin and thus I don't wear it unless I'm going to be in direct sunlight doing some outdoor activity.

#46 Mia K.

• 176 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:22 AM

Eva,

In the continued (relentless?) search for a wonderfully wearable s/s I've come across the following:

Anthelios XL Cream spf 45

Active Ingredients:
Octocrylene 10%, Avobenzone 3.5%, Titanium Dioxide 3.3%, Drometrizole Trisiloxane (Mexoryl XL) 3%, Terephthalylidene Dicamphor Sulfonic Acid (Mexoryl SX) 2%

Other Ingredients:
Aqua, Propylene Glycol, Cycolpentasiloxane, Glycerin, Isopropyl Palmitate, Triethanolamine, Stearic Acid, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Dimethicone, PEG-100 Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate, Stearyl Alcohol Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Methylparaben, Carbomer, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Disodium EDTA, Glycine Soja, Tocopherol, Propylparaben.

Available to those of us in the US from www.pharmacymix.com (Canadian)
See specifically: http://www.pharmacym...ProductID=4717

Would you please post its profile?
I'm also looking at some Ombrelle products available from the same site...

Thank you once again. ;)
~Mia

Edited by Mia K., 30 June 2008 - 01:28 AM.

#47 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 05:37 PM

Eva,

In the continued (relentless?) search for a wonderfully wearable s/s I've come across the following:

Anthelios XL Cream spf 45

Active Ingredients:
Octocrylene 10%, Avobenzone 3.5%, Titanium Dioxide 3.3%, Drometrizole Trisiloxane (Mexoryl XL) 3%, Terephthalylidene Dicamphor Sulfonic Acid (Mexoryl SX) 2%

Other Ingredients:
Aqua, Propylene Glycol, Cycolpentasiloxane, Glycerin, Isopropyl Palmitate, Triethanolamine, Stearic Acid, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Dimethicone, PEG-100 Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate, Stearyl Alcohol Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Methylparaben, Carbomer, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Disodium EDTA, Glycine Soja, Tocopherol, Propylparaben.

Available to those of us in the US from www.pharmacymix.com (Canadian)
See specifically: http://www.pharmacym...ProductID=4717

Would you please post its profile?
I'm also looking at some Ombrelle products available from the same site...

Thank you once again. ;)
~Mia

Here is the Graph for La Roche-Posay: Anthelios XL Cream spf 45

Attached Files

#48 Mia K.

• 176 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:42 AM

Thanks Eva, for the profile of the Anthelios 45 cream. I think it's probably too rich for my skin.

I finally received the Nivea sunscreen from chemistdirectuk. Unfortunately, they sent the wrong product across the pond (Moisturizing instead of Light Sensation spf 50).
We are not amused.

So, how does this sunscreen look in terms of photostability and broad spectrum protection:

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.5.%, Homosalate 6%, Octisalate 5.0%, Oxybenzone 4.5%, Avobenzone 3%, Octocrylene 2.4% (all FDA-approved sunscreen ingredients). Other Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclohexasiloxane (silicone slip agents), Isododecane (dry-finish solvent), Hexyldecanol (skin-conditioning agent), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (stabilized vitamin C/antioxidant), Nordihydroguaiaretic Acid (plant-based antioxidant), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidant), Ferulic Acid (antioxidant), Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Bisabolol (anti-irritants).

This is Paula'sChoice spray spf 30. (Note the inclusion of C E and Ferulic).

Thanks! :)
Mia

Edited by Mia K., 12 July 2008 - 01:05 AM.

#49 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 02:29 PM

Thanks Eva, for the profile of the Anthelios 45 cream. I think it's probably too rich for my skin.

I finally received the Nivea sunscreen from chemistdirectuk. Unfortunately, they sent the wrong product across the pond (Moisturizing instead of Light Sensation spf 50).
We are not amused.

So, how does this sunscreen look in terms of photostability and broad spectrum protection:

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.5.%, Homosalate 6%, Octisalate 5.0%, Oxybenzone 4.5%, Avobenzone 3%, Octocrylene 2.4% (all FDA-approved sunscreen ingredients). Other Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclohexasiloxane (silicone slip agents), Isododecane (dry-finish solvent), Hexyldecanol (skin-conditioning agent), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (stabilized vitamin C/antioxidant), Nordihydroguaiaretic Acid (plant-based antioxidant), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidant), Ferulic Acid (antioxidant), Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Bisabolol (anti-irritants).

This is Paula'sChoice spray spf 30. (Note the inclusion of C E and Ferulic).

Thanks! :)
Mia

Hi Mia!

Please note that on the graph it says SPF20. This sunscreen is based on silicone-oils so the actual UVB protection is higher than what is visible on this graph! UVA protection is low due to only 3% AVO (max concentration allowed in the US).

Am sorry about the Nivea sunscreen. But the Moisturizing Sunscreen SPF50 from Nivea does not have the same sunscreen agents as the Light Feeling Sensation!
If you are sensitive to Octocrylene then it can be a good alternative though I found this sunscreen's UV-filters not as adequate and full as if they were combined with either OMC or OCR. Still the sunscreen it self altogether is a better alternative then a US-made sunscreen.

Attached Files

Edited by Eva Victoria, 12 July 2008 - 02:34 PM.

#50 InquilineKea

• 773 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:58 PM

How does http://www.amazon.co...07133608&sr=8-1 compare to http://www.dermadoct...&productid=1334 and http://www.mexitanproducts.com/ ?

The Loving Naturals one has a lot more zinc oxide percent (25%, as compared to 5-10% for the others). But the SPF-factor is only 30, as compared to 50-60 for the others.

#51 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:39 PM

How does http://www.amazon.co...07133608&sr=8-1 compare to http://www.dermadoct...&productid=1334 and http://www.mexitanproducts.com/ ?

The Loving Naturals one has a lot more zinc oxide percent (25%, as compared to 5-10% for the others). But the SPF-factor is only 30, as compared to 50-60 for the others.

I would go for one of the first two. Though the first one has a lot of oils and might not be the best choice for oily skin.
The second one has 7.5% ZnO and TiO2 respectively. It is a bit too low on the ZnO side (less UVA protection) but it would still work as an everyday sunscreen.The formulation also looks more cosmetically elegant.

Attached Files

Edited by Eva Victoria, 06 June 2011 - 03:41 PM.

#52 InquilineKea

• 773 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:57 PM

Oh cool - thanks for the advice!

Does it really matter much if you have 25% zinc oxide as compared to, say, 10%?

#53 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:49 PM

Eva, have you ever tried burnout eco sensitive spf 32?

#54 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:30 PM

Oh cool - thanks for the advice!

Does it really matter much if you have 25% zinc oxide as compared to, say, 10%?

Yes it does. The higher the amount the greater the UVA protection.

#55 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:31 PM

Unfortunately not. But if you send me the INCI declaration I will be able to tell you a bit more about this sunscreen.

#56 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:00 PM

Eva, do you recommend using a potent Zinc oxide sunscreen over all other types of sunscreen? Also, what are your thoughts on chemical sunscreens that get absorbed into the skin? Sorry if you already covered this, I'm sure you have.

#57 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:43 AM

Unfortunately not. But if you send me the INCI declaration I will be able to tell you a bit more about this sunscreen.

I cannot find any INCI declaration but here is a link to said product with some reviews. I just started using it, after trying devita for a couple months (which had a very nice consistency and worked well in temperature, medium spectrum UV conditions) and decided I needed to try this one. I noticed darkening with the devita, but this one seems to work better completely blocking out the suns rays from the skin surface, despite having about the same amount of the active sunblock ingredient (18.6% zinc oxide) as well as similar SPF. I have to wonder if devita is lying about the amount of zinc in it because it does cause darkening for me.

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B001B9RGVU

Edited by TheFountain, 08 June 2011 - 08:45 AM.

#58 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:06 PM

I cannot find any INCI declaration but here is a link to said product with some reviews. I just started using it, after trying devita for a couple months (which had a very nice consistency and worked well in temperature, medium spectrum UV conditions) and decided I needed to try this one. I noticed darkening with the devita, but this one seems to work better completely blocking out the suns rays from the skin surface, despite having about the same amount of the active sunblock ingredient (18.6% zinc oxide) as well as similar SPF. I have to wonder if devita is lying about the amount of zinc in it because it does cause darkening for me.

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B001B9RGVU

18.6% ZnO sounds adequate for both UVB and UVA protection.
There are of course difference in ZnO and particle size. That also explains that some sunscreens protect less effectively against UVA rays than others (even they have the same or more ZnO incorporated).
  • like x 2

#59 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:18 PM

Eva, do you recommend using a potent Zinc oxide sunscreen over all other types of sunscreen? Also, what are your thoughts on chemical sunscreens that get absorbed into the skin? Sorry if you already covered this, I'm sure you have.

I do.
ZnO has 100% photo-stable UV protection. Fully effective in the UVB (thogh it is best to combine with an UVB filter, like tiO2, OMC or P-15), UVA II and UVA I ranges. It is not absorbed by the skin, cannot do any systemic damage. Has soothing properties, antibacterial,. Approved for children and as an anti-inflammatory agent.
One can formulate cosmetically more elegant sunscreens than with organic filters. (Needs skills to do this but the matteness it provides to the skin is more natural and elegant than the oiliness of organic filters.)

Organic filters are needed to be combined to achieve good UVA protection. some provide high UVA II protection in a very small amount of active used. They tend to be not photostable; require application every other hour. Some has very low molecular weight that makes the EU (and FDA) fear for systemic absorption. Some has hormone-like activity.
They are invisible on the skin.

Bottom line: the most important is to use a sunscreen regularly. And if you choose a formula that contains chemical filters and you will use it every day than it is better than having a ZnO containing sunscreen that you find whitening and don't like on your skin, resulting in either not using any sunscreen at all or applying much less than necessary.
  • like x 3

#60 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:51 PM

Thanks Eva, what are you your thoughts on morning sunlight and it's rays? I've read of some of these rays may actually be beneficial to the skin. I do know that morning rays are at least less harmful than midl-afternoon rays.

For me, I just don't see the point in wearing sunscreen everyday unless I am out in the direct sunlight for more than 15 mins. I've gone my whole life without protecting my skin, I'm pretty pale, and I still do not show the signs of photo-aging at 38 that many people do. I can only imagine that if I had protected my skin 75 % of the time I did not, how young my skin would look and feel. The most noticeable sun damage on my body is on my arms and hands. I do believe in wearing sunscreen, but if I can't even feel the sun on my face, and I don't show any color change, I just don't see how there could be much damage done and don't see the point in wearing it at these times. Also, I'm a big believer in getting at least some vitamin D from sun exposure. Plus, I have yet to find a sunscreen that does not go on white on my face and does not irritate my skin. I like the MyChelle product, but it still feels irritating and uncomfortable. I don't want to risk using any of the chemical based facial sunscreens on a regular basis. I have not tried Badger yet, I'm not sure if their sunscreen goes on more clear than most zinc sunscreens.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)