• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Poll on a new name for imminst

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
84 replies to this topic

Poll: New name poll (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Check all the names that you are for to help narrow it down for future polls.

1. institute formerly known as immortality (with a sideways 8 symbol) (8 votes [6.90%])

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

2. kick the reaper (7 votes [6.03%])

Percentage of vote: 6.03%

3. Klein institute (12 votes [10.34%])

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

4. kronos cabal (dictionary.com def. of kronos "A Titan who ruled the universe until dethroned by his son Zeus." of Cabal "a small group of secret plotters, as against a government or person in authority.") (5 votes [4.31%])

Percentage of vote: 4.31%

5. lasting lifespan (5 votes [4.31%])

6. lazarus (that guy Jesus supposedly raised from the dead.) (7 votes [6.03%])

Percentage of vote: 6.03%

7. life extension (11 votes [9.48%])

Percentage of vote: 9.48%

8. life extension existence experience (XXX) (5 votes [4.31%])

9. life foundation (9 votes [7.76%])

Percentage of vote: 7.76%

10. life preservation (5 votes [4.31%])

11. life reach (6 votes [5.17%])

Percentage of vote: 5.17%

12. life span (9 votes [7.76%])

13. life unlimited (12 votes [10.34%])

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

14. life with out limits (6 votes [5.17%])

Percentage of vote: 5.17%

15. life, unlimited (9 votes [7.76%])

1. life+ (14 votes [11.86%])

Percentage of vote: 11.86%

2. life1000+ (4 votes [3.39%])

Percentage of vote: 3.39%

3. lifespan (9 votes [7.63%])

Percentage of vote: 7.63%

4. lifespan+ (12 votes [10.17%])

Percentage of vote: 10.17%

5. life span research and advocacy (11 votes [9.32%])

Percentage of vote: 9.32%

6. life wish (3 votes [2.54%])

Percentage of vote: 2.54%

7. lifespan2.0 (9 votes [7.63%])

8. limitless life (9 votes [7.63%])

9. limitless living (8 votes [6.78%])

Percentage of vote: 6.78%

10. live life with passion (4 votes [3.39%])

11. life perpetually (4 votes [3.39%])

12. live1000+ (7 votes [5.93%])

Percentage of vote: 5.93%

13. long life (8 votes [6.78%])

Percentage of vote: 6.78%

14. long lifespans (6 votes [5.08%])

Percentage of vote: 5.08%

15. longaevus (mouse class) (10 votes [8.47%])

Percentage of vote: 8.47%

1. longevity (14 votes [15.73%])

Percentage of vote: 15.73%

2. loving life (5 votes [5.62%])

Percentage of vote: 5.62%

3. macrolifespan (4 votes [4.49%])

Percentage of vote: 4.49%

4. macrospan (7 votes [7.87%])

Percentage of vote: 7.87%

5. mega life span (5 votes [5.62%])

6. methuselah (12 votes [13.48%])

Percentage of vote: 13.48%

7. millennia life (4 votes [4.49%])

8. millennia lifespan (5 votes [5.62%])

9. moresta (4 votes [4.49%])

10. muridae (field mouse) (4 votes [4.49%])

11. my longer life (4 votes [4.49%])

12. myomorpha (a group of mice) (4 votes [4.49%])

13. myriad life (3 votes [3.37%])

Percentage of vote: 3.37%

14. never age (6 votes [6.74%])

Percentage of vote: 6.74%

15. new ethics (8 votes [8.99%])

Percentage of vote: 8.99%

1. no aging (6 votes [5.36%])

Percentage of vote: 5.36%

2. no-limit-life (9 votes [8.04%])

Percentage of vote: 8.04%

3. one life (8 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

4. open future (10 votes [8.93%])

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

5. overcoming aging (8 votes [7.14%])

6. perpetual (6 votes [5.36%])

7. perpetual youth (7 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

8. perpetual health (9 votes [8.04%])

9. perpetual life (9 votes [8.04%])

10. perpetual longevity (6 votes [5.36%])

11. perpetual peak (5 votes [4.46%])

Percentage of vote: 4.46%

12. perpetuity (means perpetual) (5 votes [4.46%])

Percentage of vote: 4.46%

13. physical immortality (8 votes [7.14%])

14. pro life (7 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

15. pro life foundation (9 votes [8.04%])

1. pro longevity (10 votes [8.13%])

Percentage of vote: 8.13%

2. radical life extension (10 votes [8.13%])

3. radical life extension promotion (4 votes [3.25%])

Percentage of vote: 3.25%

4. rejuvination (6 votes [4.88%])

Percentage of vote: 4.88%

5. reversing aging (8 votes [6.50%])

Percentage of vote: 6.50%

6. right to continually exist (8 votes [6.50%])

7. right to exist (8 votes [6.50%])

8. right to indefinently exist (7 votes [5.69%])

Percentage of vote: 5.69%

9. right to perpetually exist (7 votes [5.69%])

10. scientific conquest of aging (11 votes [8.94%])

Percentage of vote: 8.94%

11. scientific conquest of death (11 votes [8.94%])

12. stayin alive (10 votes [8.13%])

13. still alive (5 votes [4.07%])

Percentage of vote: 4.07%

14. super lifespans (11 votes [8.94%])

15. stopping aging (7 votes [5.69%])

Vote

#31 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:20 PM

I had one of my artists here at 3D Realms quickly create a starlife logo, but I don't know how to attach it to a forum post.

#32 luminous

• 269 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:02 AM

Starlife is cool. But I'd like to hear more names like this and maybe one of them will catch on. Unless we see a particular name shine above the rest, any resolution to change the name will fail.

Okay, here's a cool, succinct name that to me would resonate a positive image about who we are without sounding far-fetched, AND the name does not appear to be taken:

LifeFountain

The word "Life", of course, is truly what we're all about. "Fountain" not only invokes the idea of a flowing, endless spring but also touches subtly upon the idea of "fountain of youth" without going too far.

Of course, we could tack on something like "Society", "Institute", "Initiative", "Foundation", etc. but I also think the name could stand on its own.

Feedback?

#33 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:21 AM

LifeFountain

Feedback?

It's short enough, but the two F phonemes adjacent to each other are a problem. At best it's a little hard to say, at worst it sounds like "Lie Fountain" Lye Fountain?

It also attempts to have a meaning that relates to the mission, but echoing Duke's ideas about branding, I think the new name should relate to radical life extension in the same way that "Amazon" relates to books. So I'd actually like it better without the word "Life". Fountain Institute? Well, maybe something else, but you get the idea.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 luminous

• 269 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:40 AM

LifeFountain

Feedback?

It's short enough, but the two F phonemes adjacent to each other are a problem. At best it's a little hard to say, at worst it sounds like "Lie Fountain" Lye Fountain?

It also attempts to have a meaning that relates to the mission, but echoing Duke's ideas about branding, I think the new name should relate to radical life extension in the same way that "Amazon" relates to books. So I'd actually like it better without the word "Life". Fountain Institute? Well, maybe something else, but you get the idea.

Thanks niner....but before everyone totally dismisses the name solely because of the adjacent "F" sounds:

I don't think the two Fs would normally pose that much of a phonetic problem, nor would "Life" get mistaken for "Lie" precisely because this is primarily an internet entity and the name will almost always be seen in written form (with ".org" tacked onto it) rather than heard. Verbally, I think the two Fs can be handled with a little glottal stop in between the words.

So niner, are you saying that you just want a cool word that divorces itself entirely from longevity? Interesting idea.

#35 luminous

• 269 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:53 AM

LifeFountain

Feedback?

Actually, niner I think you're on to something...What about simply "Fountain"? It's a good, positive word. Flowing, constant, never-ceasing....and it could evoke the idea of fountain of youth...though not necessarily.

Thoughts?

#36 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:28 AM

How about Eximo Cras, or Cesso Mortis, or Nego Mortalitas?

I like Latin words... :D

I love the latin "memento mori" which means remember that you must die, and "sine qua non" which means something absolutly indespensable and essential

Im trying to get some lyrics that support life extension turned into songs and a line in one of them is "Memento mori, but life is sine qua non, the stage is set, and now its time to get it on."

I hate that "now its time to get it on" part. but thats another topic.

Sine qua non would kind of match Bruces Nova Mente name style, although I dont know if nova mente is latin...

As for life fountain, Im feeling it, but only about as much as all the other pretty good names, but try to make more of a case for it, it could rise to the top.

#37 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:45 AM

LifeFountain

Feedback?

I like it. Fountain is a great name. Fountain of life, after all. Keeping it short, just Fountain, makes is short and unique.

Scott

#38 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:08 AM

The name would be perfect if it weren't for that damn Aronofsky. :)

I can't say this enough. This organization represents a cultural movement, not "Brand X".

We could really do without the "edgy". Our ideas are edgy enough. What we need is a name which sugggests respectability.

Who is our target audience anyway? Clearly most of the misguided opinions on potential name changes stem directly from incorrectly answering this fundamental question.

#39 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:28 AM

Oxford Committee for Famine Relief --> Oxfam in 1965 (This is a direct example of what Duke said. More than three syllables goes right out the window)
American Society for the Control of Cancer --> American Cancer Society - 1945
National Association for the Study and Prevention of Tuberculosis (1904) --> National Tuberculosis Association (1918) --> National Tuberculosis and Respiratory Disease Association (1968) --> American Lung Association (1973)

While we're at it, why don't we try to come up with some fun edgy names for these organizations as well.

I wonder if anyone is getting my point, or if I'm just talking to myself.

#40 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 05:26 AM

I wonder if anyone is getting my point, or if I'm just talking to myself.

I get it. Theres so many good ideas flowing around in these name discussions. I get swayed one way, and then back, and then back again on so many of its issues. Dukenukem made some good points about it being better to have a name that could become a brand of its own.

But you do make a really good point about its opposite, like what if say, the "American Lung Association" and the "Oxford Committe for Famine Releif" had been "Azania" and "Skystatus". To me they dont seem like they would be fitting types of names either. On the other hand "Methusalah" foundation and "novamente" ring true to me, as examples.

Now I dont know what to think. I think I need to go rethink this all again.

I think we need say, 4 marketing professional guest speakers to do a broadcast lecture of sorts with question and answer, on the ustream channel once a week for the next month to get different deeper marketing perspective on this as we continue to toss these names around.

I do say that though this may seem frustrating for some, I think that the more cluttered and confusing the name change topic gets the better. I see more good names emerging, and in a month or two when we feel theres a good supply of name contenders we can put out the fire of this discussion, and when the smoke clears we can pick up all the survivors of the names that might work and go from there.

#41 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 05:41 AM

I like the idea of having one contracted name. I also agree that the name should involve the word "life" in some form.

I came up with: Bioextension.

This could be modified to Bioextension Institute etc. I'm not sure if I like the word "institute" though. To me this has negative connotations. It brings to mind old fashioned sanatoriums. Also I think it makes us sound kookier if we use it in the name.

Initiative has a positive connection for me. I think of enthusiasm and energy when I see it. Also it draws to mind a proactive stance. Bioextension Initiative.

or Probiostension Initiative.

#42 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:15 AM

I like the idea of having one contracted name. I also agree that the name should involve the word "life" in some form.
Bioextension Initiative.

I know bio comes from the Greek for life but nowadays it is pretty tightly correlated with biology which would present a hurdle for some branches of the extreme life extension community.

#43 luminous

• 269 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 06:01 PM

Short and sweet is good. I like:

Life Unlimited
LifeFountain
Fountain
LifeSpan
Starlife

Of the above, I'm really leaning toward Fountain. It's a real word, a simple word, not really all that edgy, and it's easy to remember. There's not much bad you can say about the concept of a fountain. It certainly evokes a pleasant and positive mental image. A fountain is aesthetically pleasing and conveys a sense of vitality that is continuous and conceivably forever flowing. In that sense, it represents what we're all about here. And of course, anyone sold on the pursuit of immortality will probably make the connection to "fountain of youth". Others who are simply looking toward greater health and and a longer life will connect with the word on its own merit.

Edited by luminous, 24 May 2008 - 06:14 PM.

#44 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:04 PM

You have have your cake and eat it too, in naming a "cultural movement."

For example, Fountain Institute for Radical Life Extension. And, most people will just call us "Fountain," just as no one refers to "Apple Computers," they just say "Apple." All long names force people to come up with a shorter version which becomes the version laypeople adopt, such as IBM, GE, Fedex, NBC, TI, and so on. If there's now way to boil a name down to three initials easily, then just one word of the name is used if that name is unique to the industry. Fountain can be such a name for us. Frankly, I still like Starlife a little better, but both a plenty good enough. Both can have very good logos. I have a logo-ized version of Starlife that my artists worked on, but I have no way of posting it on ImmInst's forums.

What I like about Starlife over Fountain is that "starlife" is a made up word, and much easier to own. There are only 486k hits on google for this word, versus 53 million for "fountain." It will be extremely difficult for us to take ownership of "fountain" as it's already so well used.

Most the names I see being nominated in that nomination thread are generic crap. Clearly, the people nominated these names just have no inkling about the psychology of names and how to make them sticky in people's minds, etc. But as I just wrote in another thread, the entire MPrize and SENS effort is so utterly lacking in its approach and message that I'm guessing that we will reach our goals many years later than we could have.

Here's a little example of how just presenting your message properly can make such a huge difference:
http://ries.typepad....n-language.html

#45 luminous

• 269 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:34 PM

You have have your cake and eat it too, in naming a "cultural movement."

For example, Fountain Institute for Radical Life Extension. And, most people will just call us "Fountain," just as no one refers to "Apple Computers," they just say "Apple." All long names force people to come up with a shorter version which becomes the version laypeople adopt, such as IBM, GE, Fedex, NBC, TI, and so on. If there's now way to boil a name down to three initials easily, then just one word of the name is used if that name is unique to the industry. Fountain can be such a name for us. Frankly, I still like Starlife a little better, but both a plenty good enough. Both can have very good logos. I have a logo-ized version of Starlife that my artists worked on, but I have no way of posting it on ImmInst's forums.

What I like about Starlife over Fountain is that "starlife" is a made up word, and much easier to own. There are only 486k hits on google for this word, versus 53 million for "fountain." It will be extremely difficult for us to take ownership of "fountain" as it's already so well used.

Most the names I see being nominated in that nomination thread are generic crap. Clearly, the people nominated these names just have no inkling about the psychology of names and how to make them sticky in people's minds, etc. But as I just wrote in another thread, the entire MPrize and SENS effort is so utterly lacking in its approach and message that I'm guessing that we will reach our goals many years later than we could have.

Here's a little example of how just presenting your message properly can make such a huge difference:
http://ries.typepad....n-language.html

I like 'em both, too. What you said about the number of google hits could be a little misleading. google doesn't discriminate on whether a word is a registered name vs. a word used incidentally in a sentence. ANY nonword will have far fewer hits than a real word. Granted, a real word might already be taken--but if we like something, we ought to investigate before assuming it is. But hey, if you have a logo already... No way of posting it? Uhhhh, Duke, do you have access to a scanner?

#46 luminous

• 269 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:43 PM

Here's a question that hopefully someone here might be able to answer. Let's say there's a company out there with the registered name "xyzzy," and its sole purpose is selling painted wishbones. Can NOBODY can use the name "xyzzy" or only competitors that sell painted wishbones? Could a forum about longevity legally use the name "xyzzy"?

#47 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:47 PM

I don't know how to attach it to a forum post.

I have a logo-ized version of Starlife that my artists worked on, but I have no way of posting it on ImmInst's forums.

A way to post a graphic:

After using the 'Reply' button:

- Click 'Browse' (located below in the 'Attachments/Select a File', a window to 'browse' on your hard drive)
- Find & select the graphic to post, in the OS window opened locally (jpg or gif files automatically open, maybe others)
- Click 'Open" in the OS window
- Click 'Upload" (then wait until the upload timer stops)
- Place the cursor in the text box where you want the grapic to appear
- Click the arrow in the window immediately above 'Upload' labeled 'Manage current attachments'
- Click the left choice (green plus) in the window. (The red x lets your delete the uploaded file)
- Click Preview Post (if doesn't look right, modify something)

Edited by dnamechanic, 24 May 2008 - 08:54 PM.

#48 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:30 AM

Starlife sounds so mystical. Like something out of a scientology handbook. Doesn't anyone else get that feeling? It might be good for a new religious cult or new video game but for Imminst? It just doesn't hit me right.

Fountain does not carry the same baggage and is an interesting choice.

#49 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:46 AM

Here's a question that hopefully someone here might be able to answer. Let's say there's a company out there with the registered name "xyzzy," and its sole purpose is selling painted wishbones. Can NOBODY can use the name "xyzzy" or only competitors that sell painted wishbones? Could a forum about longevity legally use the name "xyzzy"?

I know that in Australia you may use another company's name as long as your business activities are in a different class to theirs. ASIC who takes care of all this stuff has a list of classes and what they are but basically if your business activities are significantly different then you can use the name. That's Australian law. I know American law is similar.

re the name I think LifeSpan is best. All the people I have quizzed on this so far think it's good. I also asked them if they would be afraid to see it on their resume. To the imminst most responded that they would be embarrassed to have it b'smurch their CV but LifeSpan they could be associated with.

Edited by Ben - Aus, 25 May 2008 - 12:51 AM.

#50 Mind

• 19,058 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:49 AM

Really, Starlife is not that much different from the other names. It still has "life" in the name and implies a long duration.

Notice all the other big successful brands Duke mentioned - none of them had names that were even remotely similar to their product. Google, Apple, Amazon, Monster. How about Blackberry? Starlife might be slightly edgier, but is certainly in the same category as many of the other names listed.

#51 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 02:18 AM

Really, Starlife is not that much different from the other names. It still has "life" in the name and implies a long duration.

Notice all the other big successful brands Duke mentioned - none of them had names that were even remotely similar to their product. Google, Apple, Amazon, Monster. How about Blackberry? Starlife might be slightly edgier, but is certainly in the same category as many of the other names listed.

Mind, I agree. I'm not trying to push Starlife very hard. This was a name I thought of a year ago for a different purpose, but I'm not going to follow through with it, so I was just tossing it out here to be chewed on. It's going to be very hard for this organization to come up with a radically unrelated name, like Apple and Amazon, because these types of names are never decided by the masses, they are picked by leaders. The more people you add to the equation in picking a name, the more average, generic, and uninspired it will be.

Edited by DukeNukem, 25 May 2008 - 02:44 PM.

#52 Mind

• 19,058 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for all your input Duke.

#53 luminous

• 269 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:29 PM

I do like StarLife for the very reason that some here may not, that it actually touches on what we're all about. I'd love to see the logo, Duke, if you can find a way.

I also agree with Duke that getting a majority to agree on a completely unrelated word will be nearly impossible. What would that word be? "Octopus"? "Toaster"? "Ubiquitous"? We could combine two word pieces, like "quality" and "longevity" for "Qualgevity." We could always make up a brand new word that isn't even a compound of any other word or word part...ie, "Crandiant" or "Stolivus". Some corporations spend big bucks to come up with such names. But again, we'd have trouble getting a group to warm up to any new word. On the other hand, maybe this needn't be subject to a vote at all. Truth be told, I don't know who actually runs the show here, but maybe that person or persons can make the decision.

BTW, I just discovered it's truly difficult to come up with a brand new pronounceable word that isn't too long which google can't find.

Edited by luminous, 25 May 2008 - 07:37 PM.

#54 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:53 AM

As many people know the slogan of Christian aid is "we believe in life BEFORE death"

Why not use such a slogan for Imminst like "we believe in life NOT death" or "we believe in life instead of death"

#55 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:37 PM

Here's that Starlife logo.

Attached Files

#56 luminous

• 269 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:35 PM

That's a nice logo--simple, clever. I like it a lot.

#57 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 04:30 AM

hm i like the name and the brand is really nice... if it was to be used for a nightclub or a casino. Looks too caliente.

No seriously i like both the name and the brand but maybe it could be "cooled down" a bit? Like changing some colors or something? I'm really no expert so i don't know how this could be done.

#58 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 06:10 AM

I think starlife draws to mind the wrong imagery.

For me it makes me think of celebrity gossip.

I think we want a name that brings to mind the correct imagery. The logo is awesome though. Kudos to the artist who did it up.

#59 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:51 AM

And it reminds of Starbucks, I like coffee, but.....
I'm with mind on this.

I like the Latin approach as well, at least in Europe it could have the right impact, academic, although a bit dusty perhaps. But certainly not with "mort" in it. We need to find a name that has a positive inclination, not a negation of a negative feeling or emotion. Marketing is not math, it does not work that way in human perception. "stop mortality" still triggers the mortality perception, creating a feeling of YUCK in most people we might want to reach out to.

My proposal in the other thread, which might be not usable, but maybe trigger some more positive idea's:

Vivacitas (Latin for "the state of liveliness", already used in similar context, a German organisation dealing with health issues has this name which might be inhibitive, but I like it anyway)

Edit
It seems to relate with spiritual issues if you google it. Not good if that indeed is a gneral perception.

Edited by brainbox, 31 May 2008 - 11:03 AM.

#60 Prometheus

• 592 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:54 AM

LifeFountain is cool. Positive imagery but there's a tinge of the healthfood/supplement buzz about it.

Whois for the domain (maybe the party will notate it for a good cause):

Registrant:
Contactprivacy.com
96 Mowat Ave
Toronto, ON M6K 3M1
CA

Domain name: LIFEFOUNTAIN.COM

Administrative Contact:
contactprivacy.com, lifefountain.com@contactprivacy.com
96 Mowat Ave
Toronto, ON M6K 3M1
CA