Photo

Dead woman returns to life after prayer

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#31 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 12:44 AM

I read this story before ever seeing this thread and speaking of cryonics Winterbreeze, that is a very important aspect Eljah has glossed over completely in his presentation. Did you know that the patient was treated with hypothermia to slow all her metabolic functions and help prevent heart/brain damage, then after the declaration of death she was kept chilled and on life support as an organ donor?

The reason she awoke had to do with the activity of the physicians that were initiating the organ removal process.

Why would you look for a *miraculous* cause when a very significant physical and scientifically definable one that might advance our understanding would be ignored as a result?

Oh, I hadn't looked at the story enough to even see this, and it does explain a lot :) (thanks for your time in actually checking it out :) )

#32 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:19 AM

Why would you look for a *miraculous* cause when a very significant physical and scientifically definable one that might advance our understanding would be ignored as a result?

I doubt science will be dissuaded from their search for a medically explainable cause as a result of claims of a miracle. Science has its job to do and the religious have theirs. But, if science cannot come up with a reasonable explanation, may be it should consider a miracle as a possible explanation.

#33 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:57 AM

OK I have to intervene here. This is what I was worried about.

I doubt science will be dissuaded from their search for a medically explainable cause as a result of claims of a miracle. Science has its job to do and the religious have theirs. But, if science cannot come up with a reasonable explanation, may be it should consider a miracle as a possible explanation.

Science may not have all the answers, but we are a young species! We have only come so far in the past few centuries. Of course we don't have all the answers to life yet, how can you expect that we do, we've only begun to understand nature and life!

Lack of knowledge is no reason to turn to religion and delusion. I believe it's fine to be spiritual as a way to achieve inner peace, but thats it. Religion has no place in science, politics, or anywhere else, period.

Edited by Kostas, 24 May 2008 - 03:03 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:08 AM

Her heart had stopped a few times, but it was going when they took her off life support. In fact she awoke "as they were taking her respirator tubes out of her". Other reports say that it was 'sometime after the life support tubes were removed'. This woman gets tons of medical attention, she has a low chance of survival and then she at the very end makes it. While I hope that her family enjoys the rest of the time that they have with her; I doubt that aside from creating the standard uproar about miracles that her life has much global significance. lol. This really is silly Elijah, religious people are silly.

#35 spaceistheplace

• 397 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:19 AM

Lack of knowledge is no reason to turn to religion and delusion.

Science can classify, but naming is not describing. Perhaps you are satisfied with appearances and surfaces, but reality is much greater than that, deeper. I think you have been very conditioned by the word "God" and its associations with fundamentalist Christians that you yourself have become a fundamentalist in your field of science.

#36 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:25 AM

Science can classify, but naming is not describing. Perhaps you are satisfied with appearances and surfaces, but reality is much greater than that, deeper. I think you have been very conditioned by the word "God" and its associations with fundamentalist Christians that you yourself have become a fundamentalist in your field of science.

Taking what others say, chewing it, and spitting it back at them is not a very efficient means of justifying your own beliefs.

I agree a lot with what Carl Sagan once said, "I don't want to believe, I want to understand."

Edited by Kostas, 24 May 2008 - 04:09 AM.

#37 jackinbox

• 452 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:21 AM

The women was on life support and induced hypothermia, for God sake! Thanks science and modern medecine, not God. We don't yet fully understand the protection mechanisim used by the body to protect the brain but it is well known that "shutting down" the brain circuit until things are going better is not that unusual. It exacly what happen when you lose consciousness after being it on the head. The brain shutdown some part of the circuit to prevent any dommage. In the case of this women, there was no detectable brain wave. This doesn't mean nothing is happening at all.

#38 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:24 AM

The women was on life support and induced hypothermia, for God sake! Thank science and modern medicine, not God.

Amen!

#39 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 06:17 AM

Its also worth pointing out that there is little to no reason to assume that the Christian god was behind her recovery. Who is to say it isn't the spirit of the wind, or Zeus of Olympus or Isis? Additionally, many other religions in the world claim serious miracles. People seem to have a very difficult time accepting that if something is very unlikely to happen (1 in 1,000,000 people / year) its still going to happen pretty freaking often, no matter what faith you are. So here is the question:
1. Either a spiritual non-physical entity is selecting an abysmally small number of people to help. OR
2. Some events are very unlikely, and some people get lucky. Since so many people are religious, it is of no surprise that they are praying at the time.

• Lurker

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:29 AM

Taking what others say, chewing it, and spitting it back at them is not a very efficient means of justifying your own beliefs.

I agree a lot with what Carl Sagan once said, "I don't want to believe, I want to understand."

Since your capacity to understand is limited by the number of particles that make up your nervous system - a nearly infinitesimal fraction of all the particles in the universe - your pretty much screwed from the get-go on that one. For me, ultimately I just want to be happy and being the hedonist that I am, I'm willing to go with the flow and just experience when it comes to some things in life (God, love, poetry, music, flowers, etc.)

#41 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 09:42 AM

What is more interesting to me is that she showed no EEG for brain activity and yet clearly her brain could be revived.

I skimmed this thread, but not the story. I have two relevant comments.

First, anyone whose heart has stopped for more than 30 seconds will lose brain electrical activity. Practically everyone who has ever been resuscitated after cardiac arrest is an example of recovering after absent brain activity. People in drug-induced comas can be absent brain activity for days or even weeks. In fact there are so many possible causes of reversible loss of brain activity that ruling them out is part of the protocol for determining brain death for patients on life support. So people recovering after flat EEGs is nothing new in medicine, it's just not commonly known.

Why do people commonly think that flat EEGs are "brain death"? Because prolonged absence of brain electrical activity without identifiable cause is a marker for brain tissue damage that really is brain death. In other words, absent brain activity is a symptom of brain death, not brain death itself. Sometimes symptoms can be present without the disease.

Second, the rigor mortis reported may have been real. Rigor is caused by ischemia (absent or inadequate blood flow) to muscle tissue. It can happen even in people who are indisputably alive, such as when blood circulation shuts down to extremities in patients who are near death.

Life and death are complicated.

#42 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:45 AM

I confess error on the must of been a miracle part of my original post. I fell victim to media hype. The woman in the video was never really dead to begin with. Dr. Wowk's explanation makes good sense. I wish the Doctor in the video would've had the chance to say more on the subject of life and death.

But this doesn't mean I'll give up my belief in God, the Bible, or miracles. :) You'll just have to put up with me. :)

#43 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:48 AM

This really is silly Elijah, religious people are silly.

We're not silly, but we can be wrong or mistaken on occasion though.

#44 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:04 PM

Thanks Brian, my point about rigor was essentially the same as yours. I was using the generic term "seizure" to describe *rigor* without *mortis*. Technically that term assumes *death* which as you accurately point out is more complicated than generally recognized.

My comments were for the topic here as begun by Elijah because my essential point was that the observations of *fact* in this case were getting hyped by the media and the *miracle* issue was more distraction than relevant. I am interested in the aspects of brain activity as described in the case because she was without such for a considerable period but as you point out there are precedents for such but usually the extent of cellular damage is pretty great unless the patient is sustained on life support that continues the flow of O2 to the brain.

I was also interested in the case when I saw it because it reminded me of the cases of hypothermia drowning victims (which had ironically contributed to the development of the techniques used for life support in this case) and I think there is still a lot of overlap with cryo that is relevant to the reanimation phase of the process. Also it did not appear that anyone here was mentioning these aspects with respect to why the patient had recovered and instead had immediately gone into claiming *miracles*.

I find the search for miracles a debilitating distraction from the advancement of understanding and an excuse to cease the development of understand for complicated observations; hence my reasons for commenting at all.

Why do people commonly think that flat EEGs are "brain death"? Because prolonged absence of brain electrical activity without identifiable cause is a marker for brain tissue damage that really is brain death. In other words, absent brain activity is a symptom of brain death, not brain death itself. Sometimes symptoms can be present without the disease.

Another great example of Bayesian logic at work. Thanks for clarifying what I was trying to say less clearly. I did not say she was brain dead for the record. I did say; "she showed no brain activity and was revived." All such examples of prolonged inactivity interest me as pointing toward aspects of revival procedures.

I also think you are highlighting the larger point for the incorrect use of a flat line EEG to define death because as you are pointing out that is putting the cart before the horse. I have asserted before and I think we need to bring this up again in light of recent discoveries, that we need a new *legal* definition for death, if not just a *scientific* one.

What do you think about using detection for the presence of the specific proteins that appear throughout body approximately 40 minutes after the stoppage of blood flow that initiate massive cell apoptosis and decomposition?

One problem I see with that definition from a legal standard is that the very reason we keep *organ donors* on life support is to prevent these substances from forming and destroying the potentially useful donor organs but if we change the definition of death in the manner I described then we could not consider anyone on life support dead.

How could we go beyond the simplistic use of EEG as defining brain death to better determine irreversible neural inactivity?

And if we had such a revised definition would that also create a Catch 22 compromise for the ability to provide cryogenic suspension as per such a revised law because the new definition of death would also be after the critical time needed to place a cryo patient in suspension?

I realize I am somewhat changing the subject here and I apologize Elijah. If this aspect of the discussion continues we will spin it off so as not to compromise your thread if you want.

As a corollary to my last question Brian: do you think we can ever get to a more rational "death statute" policy that makes cryo suspension an elective procedure rather than one confused with euthanasia or a postmortem process for handling "physical remains"?

#45 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:40 PM

I realize I am somewhat changing the subject here and I apologize Elijah. If this aspect of the discussion continues we will spin it off so as not to compromise your thread if you want.

Doesn't bother me one way or the other.

#46 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 05:52 PM

This thread really generated a wide range of views.Are there any religious people here believing in an afterlife?

#47 dr_chaos

• 143 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:30 PM

Btw I have trouble understanding the concept of a miracle. If we call things that we are unable to explain miracles, then things "god" does are no miracles because we can explain them("god did it"). Of course things god does are not supernatural either, since god is a part of nature (or nature a aprt of god). Anyway if there is a god he is a problem for physicists and not religious people.

#48 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:28 PM

Now the real question is why did the media spin the story so blatantly?
It was directly pandering.

#49 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:43 PM

Now the real question is why did the media spin the story so blatantly?
It was directly pandering.

The media always does what they can to get more audience.

#50 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:18 AM

This thread really generated a wide range of views.Are there any religious people here believing in an afterlife?

Yeah, I believe in a resurrection of the dead. There's the first resurrection of the dead at Christ's Second Coming mentioned in Revelation 20:4-6, and there's the second resurrection after Christ's thousand year reign is up and God the Father takes over as mentioned in verse 5 and verses 11-15. The Sabbatarian crowd I hang out with do not believe in an after life where you go to heaven immediately upon death to be with Jesus as the Catholics and Protestants teach. We believe when the dead are resurrected they will reign with Christ on earth and not in heaven. Revelation 5:6-10. So far only Jesus Christ has been resurrected from the dead and He resides in heaven with the Father. An excellent read on this is the free booklet Heaven & Hell: What Does the Bible Really Teach?, at http://www.gnmagazine.org/booklets/HL/.

#51 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 01:19 AM

Good points, Laz.

How could we go beyond the simplistic use of EEG as defining brain death to better determine irreversible neural inactivity?

Absence of brain activity is not used in isolation. Criteria for determination of death are complex

http://www.wings.buf...cs/man-bdg.html

especially for brain death

http://www.wings.buf...cs/man-baa.html

Misdiagnosis of brain death is extremely rare. I don't know the details of this case, but my offhand suspicion is that an error was made in applying established criteria. If after meeting the usual criteria there is still doubt, there are imaging tests such as doppler ultrasound and diffusion MRI that can confirm the tissue damage that is the basis of brain death.

And if we had such a revised definition would that also create a Catch 22 compromise for the ability to provide cryogenic suspension as per such a revised law because the new definition of death would also be after the critical time needed to place a cryo patient in suspension?

Revised criteria for determining legal death could certainly impact cryonics adversely. The greatest risk right now is actually from the opposite side of the death spectrum, which is cardiopulmonary death rather than brain death. There is a new type of organ donation called donation after cardiac death, or DCD. There are emerging ethical concerns about DCD because in DCD doctors begin harvesting organs in patients that aren't brain dead within minutes of being declared dead based on cessation of breathing and heartbeat. This is also what happens in an ideal cryonics case, although of course in cryonics the "organ" being harvested is the entire patient. Restrictions on DCD could adversely impact the practice cryonics if a waiting period after cardiac arrest is imposed to ensure patients are "dead enough" for organ donation. For anyone who is interested, the issue is debated at length here http://eugen.leitl.org/cc3894.pdf

As a corollary to my last question Brian: do you think we can ever get to a more rational "death statute" policy that makes cryo suspension an elective procedure rather than one confused with euthanasia or a postmortem process for handling "physical remains"?

In the context of the DCD debate, the argument has been made that terminal patients should have the right to "elective organ donation", thereby ending their life to save another. That argument hasn't been received with much enthusiasm. I think it will be some time before the world is ready for the idea of terminal patients choosing to end their life for the purpose of saving their own life, but eventually it may get there.

#52 Ben Simon

• 352 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 01:28 AM

Btw I have trouble understanding the concept of a miracle. If we call things that we are unable to explain miracles, then things "god" does are no miracles because we can explain them("god did it"). Of course things god does are not supernatural either, since god is a part of nature (or nature a aprt of god). Anyway if there is a god he is a problem for physicists and not religious people.

I think the Pulp Fiction definition is still the best: Jules: Do you know what a miracle is?

Vincent: An act of God.

Jules: What’s an act of God?

Vincent: I guess it’s when God makes the impossible possible.

As for the idea that God could be explained by Physics, this would seem to me unsatisfactory. For God to be God He'd have to transcend physics.

#53 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 01:41 AM

But this doesn't mean I'll give up my belief in God, the Bible, or miracles. :) You'll just have to put up with me. :)

There is no necessary incompatibility between science and miracles. A miracle can be defined as an extraordinary event. It was extraordinary that this woman survived, scientific explanation for the survival notwithstanding. Life may just be interacting atoms and molecules, but it is still an extraordinary and miraculous thing. That we can understand how life works, and that those workings are not subject to arbitrary and unpredictable suspension, is a good thing.

#54 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 04:59 AM

Since your capacity to understand is limited by the number of particles that make up your nervous system - a nearly infinitesimal fraction of all the particles in the universe - your pretty much screwed from the get-go on that one. For me, ultimately I just want to be happy and being the hedonist that I am, I'm willing to go with the flow and just experience when it comes to some things in life (God, love, poetry, music, flowers, etc.)

Going with the flow is cool and all, but there is a hole in your argument regarding the number of particles. There is no connection between the understanding of a star and the number of hydrogen atoms in it, for example. Our brains are capable of a rich and deep understanding of a great many things. If simultaneous knowledge of the position and velocity of every particle in the universe is what defines being "God", well, whatever, but the ratio of particles in our brain to particles in the universe doesn't have much to do with understanding what is important.

Science can classify, but naming is not describing. Perhaps you are satisfied with appearances and surfaces, but reality is much greater than that, deeper.

Science does more than just classify. Theories provide understandable models. Science takes you beyond appearances and surfaces, although I don't claim that it yet provides an understanding of all of reality. I think that some day science will provide that understanding. That does not mean science will ever provide us with, for example, the position and momenta of every particle in the universe, but then, neither will religion. For that matter, does religion provide any understanding at all? It provides experience of the transcendent in the best of cases, and may speak to the human condition, but does it help us understand the physical world?

#55 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 06:36 AM

Few weeks ago a missile landed in Israel, Ashkelon.
Many got hurt but in the news people claimed there was a miracle there.
Later I listened and apperently everyone said stuff like "It was a miracle *I* didn't get hurt there." but many DID get hurt.
So much for miracles.

#56 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 03:32 PM

There is no necessary incompatibility between science and miracles. A miracle can be defined as an extraordinary event. It was extraordinary that this woman survived, scientific explanation for the survival notwithstanding. Life may just be interacting atoms and molecules, but it is still an extraordinary and miraculous thing. That we can understand how life works, and that those workings are not subject to arbitrary and unpredictable suspension, is a good thing.

I have to agree. That's a nice way of putting it.

#57 b0gger

• 167 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 04:56 PM

Yeah, I believe in a resurrection of the dead. There's the first resurrection of the dead at Christ's Second Coming ...We believe when the dead are resurrected they will reign with Christ on earth and not in heaven... So far only Jesus Christ has been resurrected from the dead and He resides in heaven with the Father.

You're seriously deluded, dear elijah3. I suggest you to watch another video. Is it preposterous too?

#58 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:02 PM

The data so far...

Posted Image

#59 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:10 PM

The data so far...

Posted Image

lol yeah. But proofs and facts are of no interest to religious people, unfortunately.

#60 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:19 PM

Yeah, I believe in a resurrection of the dead. There's the first resurrection of the dead at Christ's Second Coming ...We believe when the dead are resurrected they will reign with Christ on earth and not in heaven... So far only Jesus Christ has been resurrected from the dead and He resides in heaven with the Father.

You're seriously deluded, dear elijah3. I suggest you to watch another video. Is it preposterous too?

I saw the video and it is really disturbing. Those poor kids being brainswashed and trained like dogs ("what's the J word? JESUS!")

I think it's completely wrong to take advantage of the fact that kids are still too young and not intelligent enough to think for themselves and bombard them with whatever belief system the brainwashers believe in. Only what's proven and backed up by science should be taught to the kids, let them decide wht they want to believe in after they reach an age when they can think more clearly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users