• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * - - 3 votes

Death is ...

• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

Poll: Death is ... (368 member(s) have cast votes)

Death is ...

1. Oblivion (168 votes [47.32%])

Percentage of vote: 47.32%

2. A Portal Mystery (4 votes [1.13%])

Percentage of vote: 1.13%

3. A Chance to Roam the Earth (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Another Chance at Reincarnation (13 votes [3.66%])

Percentage of vote: 3.66%

5. My Ticket to Nirvana (6 votes [1.69%])

Percentage of vote: 1.69%

6. A Gateway to Heaven or Hell (10 votes [2.82%])

Percentage of vote: 2.82%

7. A Transition to Another Simulation (7 votes [1.97%])

Percentage of vote: 1.97%

8. A Bridge to Another Realm (15 votes [4.23%])

Percentage of vote: 4.23%

9. I Honestly Don't Know (120 votes [33.80%])

Percentage of vote: 33.80%

10. I Don't Know and I Don't Care (12 votes [3.38%])

Percentage of vote: 3.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 thefirstimmortal

• Life Member The First Immortal
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 07:29 PM

You would think that after witnessing and benefiting from the wonders of SciTech, people would be less conservative when it comes to the emerging technologies of the 21st century. On the other hand, a healthy dose of skepticism might be a good thing. After all, we are still waiting for many predictions made in the past to be realized. “Where are the flying cars, the moon colonies, and the zero gravity boots?”. “Where are the rocket packs and floating cities?” And we can add: Whatever happened to those Jetson-like homes everyone would live in by the year 2000? Why do we still get colds, AIDS, and cancer? Where’s our ability to control the weather? It still rains on the picnic. Have you noticed that cities are far from the gleaming citadels of progress predicted at World Fairs? Do people you know and love still get old and die? The failure of science to deliver us the promised super futureworld has lead to the Sophisticated Skeptic. The Sophisticated Skeptic is much too hip and worldly-wise to be taken in by the outlandish predictions of mumbo-jumbo futurists. When talking to a friend about the Extraordinary Future, the Sophisticated Skeptic derisively labels it “science fiction.” She then hangs up her cellular phone and continues to drive her microcomputer-laden Lexus down the super-highway to the airport. Later, as she jets at 32,000 feet to visit Grandfather, she rolls her eyes in anticipation of how he will regale her yet again with his account of when he first saw an automobile at age 10.

We are spoiled by the technology. Many inhabitants of the late 20th century have become blase about how fast the rate of change is itself changing. We are at the point where we often forget how truly amazing and complex this world has become in a very short time. As a result, possible consequences and implications for the near future cannot be perceived, let alone known and understood.

It is a plain fact: We are living in the science fiction dreams of our grandfathers.

#32 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 07:34 PM

Evolution in its various forms is as archaic and obsolete as the extinct life forms it fails to comprehend. As well as it works, DNA evolution has serious limitations. It is not guided by conscious intelligence. It is a trial-and-error affair whose only driving force is to achieve ongoing reproductive success. Becoming more complex, intelligent, or pink are not goals in themselves, only techniques to keep the descent pattern going. It is, therefore, possible for a species to remain pretty much the same for countless generations, as long as it is doing reasonably well and selective factors are not pushing the genome to make major changes. Nor can bioevolution make quantum jumps to entirely new systems.

#33 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 07:35 PM

The ancestral pattern is modified incrementally at every stage. It cannot go from a fish to a horse in a single generation; millions of intermediate generations, step by step, are required. Nor can DNA code for bones made of titanium alloy steel, or make neurons out of diamonds and run them with entirely electrical currents. DNA lineage accumulates computational quirks that prevents it from coding for less out-landish features. Vertebrates can have, at most, four legs and two eyes, whether it would be advantageous to have six of the former and four of the latter or not.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 Jace Tropic

• 285 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 07:44 PM

Good points, Bill. And your replies actually seem to have anticipated my following commentary that my point was not so much to vilify technology rather than it was to show the absurdity in the seeming condescension toward chemical elements as a whole only to attribute value to other chemical elements. It appears now this may have been wrongly assumed on my part.

Jace

#35 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 03:39 AM

Good points, Bill. And your replies actually seem to have anticipated my following commentary that my point was not so much to vilify technology rather than it was to show the absurdity in the seeming condescension toward chemical elements as a whole only to attribute value to other chemical elements. It appears now this may have been wrongly assumed on my part.

Jace

I've been told that I'm psychic......., ok, maybe they said I was psychotic. :) [":)]

#36 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 03:53 AM

Behold, I shew you a mystery; we shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
1 Corinthians 15:51-53

#37 Casanova

• 93 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 06:10 AM

There is no death, in the sense of the utter obliteration of you.
Some of the best thoughts on where we go, once we leave this troubled realm, are given by C. S. Lewis.

Of course your egoic participation in this veil of tears, called human history, will end, but then human history has seen it's best days, and it is all downhill from here, into the gutter of egalitarian totalitarianism, or as Tocquiville called it, Democratic Tolalitarianism. Combine that with Corporate Fascism, and you might as well pray for a gigantic solar flare to incinerate the earth's surface.

The sin against suicide is probably another trick of the Demiurge, to keep us all in this particular physical dimension, for as long as possible, as well as the preposterous plans of Tipler, and his Forever Machine.
You have to be in absolute radical denial of the endless irriritating frustrations, and cruelties of life and existence in this physcial realm, to want to go on living in it, for millions, and billions, of years.
There will be wars, dictators, natural disasters, alien invasions, massacres, pograms, exterminations of millions of human beings, political and business corruption, ever worsening acts of terrorism, etc. in the near, and far future.
Existence is not nice. This is an actively hostile universe. Tragedy will get you, one way, or another. Count on it.

The old Doctor Who series was accurate in it's presentation of what we can expect in the future, and what we can expect of those who try to become immortal, and who try to become Gods.
Life in the universe is beyond the tragic, and smells of both farce, and absurdity. The Master knows something.

Edited by Casanova, 16 November 2003 - 06:25 AM.

#38 Jace Tropic

• 285 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 06:33 AM

Casanova, I don’t think I can share the appeal to the supernatural, but I totally empathize with you on how difficult it is to see ourselves living forever in our current worldly state. It’s almost as if the only way to have any substantial control over our lives we must, in one way or another, be value producers of things we don’t necessarily value ourselves or we must turn toward doing corrupt acts to keep our heads above water. In other words, we want to be good people according to the perfect image of ourselves, but unless we are really, really lucky we must play along and sacrifice aspects of that perfect image. This then leaves us wondering, “What’s the point to this life?” We know our choices, and the best of them still seem wrong.

Jace

#39 kcisobderf

• 1 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 10:18 AM

Personally, I think it is oblivion. And that's how I voted. But if I could wish for something more, it wouldn't be for me. I have a dearly beloved pet who is past halfway through his expected lifespan. I will grieve deeply when he dies, but I will feel more sorry that his life is so much shorter than mine. This is the third pet that I wish could be reincarnated and enjoy a better existence, in part because of my care and attention. Pet owners may know of the "Rainbow Bridge". It's purely fictitious but comforting all the same.

#40 darktr00per

• 52 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 12:25 PM

What about the effects on the social organism. With immortality at the forefront people will become even more isolated and selfish. The quest for immortality isself is selfish and based on individual suvival. As it is well known that changes(biological or other) happen as a social group not just a individual. I realize this could be many things. Another note-with the constant engineering of genetics or forms of reproduction.-mutations could occur. example with genetically engineeredplants could cross polinate and create a species that would destroy the whole eco system. I think that over millions of years nature has a good system and inderstanding of genetic material.

#41 blally

• 5 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 08:44 PM

Though, in all honesty, I should reply that I do not know, I chose to vote for oblivion. By doing so, it came to mind that such a decision is exemplary of how I opt to act - according to what I believe to be the most likely. Though epistemologically a staunch skeptic, I recognize that, in order to promote and effect positive change, one MUST subscribe to a certain ontology. No hypotheses can be formulated without acknowledging the possibility of a certain state of affairs. It may be argued that atheism is just as dogmatic as religion in that both make a claim as to what "lies out there" (for lack of a better term). A Christian, for example, would state, succintly: "I know what is out there - it is heaven"; an atheist would state: "I know what is out there - it is nothing". However, the distinction between the two ontologies arises not from their conclusions, but from their methods: the former relying on deductive non-falsifiable statements which are claimed to be irrefutable, the latter depending on falsifiable empirically-derived theories. So, though I would have to categorize myself, at the core, as an agnostic, I realize that, to posit anything meaningful, one must make an assumption as to our state of affairs and thus I voted oblivion. blally@hsc.wvu.edu

#42 chubtoad

• Life Member
  • 976 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 01:10 AM

Most religions believe in a god that created the universe, but did not have to be created itself. If you wanted to, you could suppose that there was a god with the ability to create the universe which did not have the ability to create itself, but then you would have to beleive in another god with the ability to create that god. What if instead you take one step in the other direction. Now you have the universe with the ability to create itself. Adding a chain of one or more gods to the list just makes things more complicated. I don't know if you can apply Occam's Razor to something like this, but if you can the theory with least assumptions is just the universe had the attribute of not needing to be created.

#43 Anne

• 182 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 11:11 PM

I had to pick "oblivion" because I have seen no evidence so far that consciousness can exist without a functioning brain. Of course, I am always open to the possibility that I could be wrong about absolutely everything.

#44 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 03:50 PM

Like a true Immortalist I don't fear death, I hate it.

#45 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 20 November 2003 - 04:32 PM

Look at the statistical variation forming, it is quite interesting. We are demonstrating a demographic distribution inversely proportional to the common wisdom. No surprise there.

The vast majority of "expressed" opinion here among us is actually a variation on two themes that are not logically opposite; just alternative perspectives.

A: I don't know
B: I know it is oblivion

C: is a minor statistical bump in the middle representing the "acclaimed vast majority" of commonly held belief. The so called moral majority's tenets.

I suggest it is fair to call us heretics, or perhaps instead we reflect the reality that parochialism is no longer representative of the global common wisdom.

#46 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 04:41 PM

Neither in the hearts of men nor in the manners of society will there be a lasting peace until we outlaw death.

#47 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 03:46 AM

Neither in the hearts of men nor in the manners of society will there be a lasting peace until we outlaw death.

Death should, of course, be an individual option.. not necessarily banned outright.

#48 Clifford Greenblatt

• 355 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 03:07 PM

Originally posted by Sophianic
The assumption of oblivion after we die is, for many, a tough one to swallow. And yet, a belief or conviction in the value of life shaped by this assumption is much stronger for having been shaped by it.

There is some difficulty in this logic. If a person's true destiny is to be a brain surgeon, believing in a future of living on the public dole will certainly not be of positive value in preparing for a medical career. The only people who could benefit from believing false things about their future are those who's true destiny is very dismal. "Give booze to those who are perishing ... let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more."

The materialism vs dualism issue is crucial to everyone's destiny. In Biblical dualism, the physical housing of a person's spirit (i.e. the brain) may disintegrate, but a new and imperishable house will built for the same spirit. Oblivion is an assumption made by many materialists, but even an assumption that we are nothing more than an amazing organisation of elementary particles does not provide anything in the way of support for a permanent future of oblivion. The space between elementary particles may be regarded as a sort of oblivion but that space is not infinite. Loss of the subjective experience of consciousness in one spacetime locality does not exclude the possibility of it happening in another place, whether or not the different places can be related to each other by any system of spacetime coordinates. Some notable hard core materialists are turning to the idea of an infinite multiverse to explain away the anthropic principle. In doing so, they are unintentionally but logically excluding the possibility of permanent oblivion.

#49 Sophianic

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Immortality
  • 197 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 04:00 PM

Gewis: Being the black sheep of this community I am, I'm going to post my religious views on the subject ANYWAY. And here I thought you were a white sheep. As far as I know, you've always been welcome to post your religious views here.

(Yeah, that's right, you haven't scared me away yet.) I don't think it's been anyone's intention here to scare you away, Gewis.

"A Gateway to heaven or hell," of all the options, is closest to what I believe, but at the same time, not really close at all. It's more like a transition, from mortality to a spiritual state without a body, and really none too pleasant. (I was alluding to the popular image of heaven's gate. All the same, I can see your point; 'gateway' as a descriptor does have its limits) Sure, there's pleasure and happiness that come from righteous ('virtuous' is the best synonym for those who wonder) living, but the body has potencies and capabilities that the spirit alone can't even approach. That's why resurrection is necessary. (in my mind, the spirit is a growing manifestation of the body ~ both intimately and vigorously bound to it; if the body dies, the spirit dies with it).

"For this is my work and my glory, to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." -Moses 1:39 (You won't find it in the Bible.) And Joseph Smith stated, "The sole object of human existence is happiness." Happiness is the point of our immortality. "And spirit and element, inseperably connected, receive a fulness of joy." -D&C 93. (in each of these references, I could just as easily interpret 'immortality' as 'physical immortality'; remember, the pronouncements of human authorities are not a substitute for what is true.)

Our chemical structure, hormonal processes, things that allow us to feel things with such strength and potency, are impossible without a physical substrate such as the body. (I agree) Natural law will not now, never has been, and never will be violated. (I think you mean that they cannot be violated with impunity) Those principles that govern the function and relation of all matter are universal, so it follows that God, understanding such principles, and being governed by the point that he's in absolute harmony with truth, would also have such a body for his own happiness and joy, and would provide the same opportunity for such for his children. (I can understand such principles; I can be in harmony with what is true; I can enjoy my body and be happy; and I can enjoin others to do the same) However, as a student currently working in nuclear physics on some pretty far out stuff, I think it's safe to say that our understanding of natural law is rather limited. (you don't know that; not until you have the perspective of someone who knows more ~ a lot more).

And to anybody who may say the dead have never come back to tell us what it's like. Well, you're right. They didn't come back to tell us what it was like to be dead; they had more important business to take care of. (how do you know that, Gewis?)

Ben Hijink: In the strict, original form of Buddhism, Nirvana IS oblivion (non action, the extinquishment of all desire, not good nor bad, just non-being - one gets there by letting go of concerns before death), so I chose that option just to be difficult. " ;~) (Ben, I appreciate the challenge, but I don't it's fair to say that nirvana is equivalent to oblivion. The former implies awareness sans desire and concern; the latter is devoid of it entirely)

Really though, there is so much label-identification that results from questions like these. (I share your reluctance to subscribe to labels). I'm a "negative-atheist" (hmmm) in that I see no compelling reason to think that conscious experience continues with out a body to support it, which is exactly what many people who call themselves agnostics think. (actually, agnostics wouldn't be sure whether conscious experience continues without a body to support it.)

At the same time, since we all lack omniscience, the most defensible position one can take is to honestly confront speculations and try to ascribe probabilities based on what can be observed. Nick Bostrom has been attempting to apply just such an inductive method through analytical philosophy when he deals with the possibility that we are living in a simulation. The simulation argument is actually much stronger than any of the numerous conflicting and self-contradictory religious notions of afterlife that emerged from prescientific cultures (in which revelation seemed to have a relatively high likelihood of being true). (a provocative and fascinating argument to be sure, but mere speculation nonetheless; I'm not sure how anyone could ever demonstrate it unless they were able to step outside of it and observe it "from the outside").

Even [if we] happen to be in a kind of simulation (which I would argue does not make our existence less "real"), there is no compelling reason (no compelling reason that you're aware of), based on what we might infer about the simulator culture, to expect that the simulators would have devised an elaborate method by which to make it *seem* to fellow simulations that a being had died only to bring the creature out into another realm of their simulation. A simulation based on the traditional notions of heaven and hell that can only be navegated by the luck of finding or being born into the *right* religious system is particularly "repugnant" to use that favoite phrase of the theologically-influenced (though he denies it) bioethicist Leon Kass. (I think if we pull back and look at "the big picture," we might find something more comprehensive and interesting; viz., religion, to those in charge of a simulator culture, might be just one more factor in the cultural and social evolution of a species; again, mere speculation).

Casanova: There is no death, in the sense of the utter obliteration of you. (how do you know for sure?) Some of the best thoughts on where we go, once we leave this troubled realm, are given by C. S. Lewis. (we're all entitled to our opinions, but if we make a claim, we must support it with evidence)

Of course your egoic participation in this veil of tears, called human history, will end, but then human history has seen it's best days, and it is all downhill from here, into the gutter of egalitarian totalitarianism, or as Tocquiville called it, Democratic Tolalitarianism. Combine that with Corporate Fascism, and you might as well pray for a gigantic solar flare to incinerate the earth's surface. (this is an interesting perspective, but unfortunately, one that is a product of fear and loathing).

The sin against suicide is probably another trick of the Demiurge (this is a mythical creation), to keep us all in this particular physical dimension, for as long as possible, as well as the preposterous plans of Tipler, and his Forever Machine. (I believe that everyone should have the option to live or die after a careful and fully informed consideration of the grave consequences with someone who is highly skilled to provide it).

You have to be in absolute radical denial of the endless irriritating frustrations, and cruelties of life and existence in this physcial realm, to want to go on living in it, for millions, and billions, of years. (not necessarily; we tend to attract what we harbour ~ if we harbor frustration, we attract frustration; if we harbor cruelty, we attract cruelty). There will be wars, dictators, natural disasters, alien invasions, massacres, pograms, exterminations of millions of human beings, political and business corruption, ever worsening acts of terrorism, etc. in the near, and far future. (this is the kind of speculation that comes from expecting the worse from humanity; not very enlightened to the say the least).

Existence is not nice. This is an actively hostile universe. Tragedy will get you, one way, or another. Count on it. (in the absence of intention, the universe is neutral to your hopes and dreams; if you expect tragedy, tragedy is all the more likely to befall you).

The old Doctor Who series was accurate in it's presentation of what we can expect in the future, and what we can expect of those who try to become immortal, and who try to become Gods (you don't know that for sure). Life in the universe is beyond the tragic, and smells of both farce, and absurdity. The Master knows something. (The Master knows nothing; life is what you make it; if you become fixated on farce and absurdity, that is what you will tend to see all around you).

kcisobderf: Personally, I think it is oblivion. And that's how I voted. But if I could wish for something more, it wouldn't be for me. I have a dearly beloved pet who is past halfway through his expected lifespan. I will grieve deeply when he dies, but I will feel more sorry that his life is so much shorter than mine. This is the third pet that I wish could be reincarnated and enjoy a better existence, in part because of my care and attention. Pet owners may know of the "Rainbow Bridge". It's purely fictitious but comforting all the same. (sometimes, we must find our solace where we can; even more important, however, is our willingness and ability to process and release our grief, sadness and anguish so that it doesn't taint our relations in the future)

darktr00per: What about the effects on the social organism. With immortality at the forefront people will become even more isolated and selfish. (they will if they focus exclusively on trying to control and manipulate their interactions and circumstances) The quest for immortality isself is selfish and based on individual suvival. (a more positive interpretation: the quest for immortality is earnest and based on individual fulfillment) As it is well known that changes (biological or other) happen as a social group not just a individual. I realize this could be many things. Another note-with the constant engineering of genetics or forms of reproduction.-mutations could occur. example with genetically engineeredplants could cross polinate and create a species that would destroy the whole eco system. I think that over millions of years nature has a good system and inderstanding of genetic material. (as has been said elsewhere, nature is not the final word on what is good for us; it can be improved, but in my view, it must be improved (or replaced) with care)

blally: Though, in all honesty, I should reply that I do not know, I chose to vote for oblivion. By doing so, it came to mind that such a decision is exemplary of how I opt to act - according to what I believe to be the most likely. Though epistemologically a staunch skeptic, I recognize that, in order to promote and effect positive change, one MUST subscribe to a certain ontology. No hypotheses can be formulated without acknowledging the possibility of a certain state of affairs. It may be argued that atheism is just as dogmatic as religion in that both make a claim as to what "lies out there" (for lack of a better term). A Christian, for example, would state, succintly: "I know what is out there - it is heaven"; an atheist would state: "I know what is out there - it is nothing". However, the distinction between the two ontologies arises not from their conclusions, but from their methods: the former relying on deductive non-falsifiable statements which are claimed to be irrefutable, the latter depending on falsifiable empirically-derived theories. So, though I would have to categorize myself, at the core, as an agnostic, I realize that, to posit anything meaningful, one must make an assumption as to our state of affairs and thus I voted oblivion. (my take on this is that it is better to first take the null assumption, viz., oblivion, but then to stay open to evidence that would indicate otherwise).

chubtoad: Most religions believe in a god that created the universe, but did not have to be created itself. If you wanted to, you could suppose that there was a god with the ability to create the universe which did not have the ability to create itself, but then you would have to beleive in another god with the ability to create that god. What if instead you take one step in the other direction. Now you have the universe with the ability to create itself. Adding a chain of one or more gods to the list just makes things more complicated. I don't know if you can apply Occam's Razor to something like this, but if you can the theory with least assumptions is just the universe had the attribute of not needing to be created. (creation implies a will; a view that is consistent with the assumption of oblivion is that the universe is eternal, in both directions; the content changes, but its existence remains a constant throughout).

azalyn: I had to pick "oblivion" because I have seen no evidence so far that consciousness can exist without a functioning brain. Of course, I am always open to the possibility that I could be wrong about absolutely everything. (I am always open to the possibility that I could be wrong about some things).

Lazarus Long: Look at the statistical variation forming, it is quite interesting. (yes, quite) We are demonstrating a demographic distribution inversely proportional to the common wisdom. No surprise there. (Indeed)

The vast majority of "expressed" opinion here among us is actually a variation on two themes that are not logically opposite; just alternative perspectives.

A: I don't know
B: I know it is oblivion

(I am intrigued by the number who chose "I honestly don't know;" in my eyes, this certainly bears further examination)

C: is a minor statistical bump in the middle representing the "acclaimed vast majority" of commonly held belief. The so called moral majority's tenets.

I suggest it is fair to call us heretics, or perhaps instead we reflect the reality that parochialism is no longer representative of the global common wisdom. (wouldn't it be nice if the latter were true?)

thefirstimmortal: Neither in the hearts of men nor in the manners of society will there be a lasting peace until we outlaw death. (Let us make death an option; I agree with Bruce: death should be an option ~ see my qualifications above)

Clifford Greenblatt: Originally posted by Sophianic: The assumption of oblivion after we die is, for many, a tough one to swallow. And yet, a belief or conviction in the value of life shaped by this assumption is much stronger for having been shaped by it.

There is some difficulty in this logic. If a person's true destiny is to be a brain surgeon, believing in a future of living on the public dole will certainly not be of positive value in preparing for a medical career. (two problems here: (1) 'true' destiny implies other-worldly pre-destination; and (2) a belief in a future of living on the public dole is not compatible with a strong belief in the value of life) The only people who could benefit from believing false things about their future are those who's true destiny is very dismal. (I submit that we are creators and masters of our own destiny; the responsibility for it is ultimately ours and ours alone) "Give booze to those who are perishing ... let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more."

The materialism vs dualism issue is crucial to everyone's destiny. In Biblical dualism, the physical housing of a person's spirit (i.e. the brain) may disintegrate, but a new and imperishable house will built for the same spirit. Oblivion is an assumption made by many materialists, but even an assumption that we are nothing more than an amazing organisation of elementary particles does not provide anything in the way of support for a permanent future of oblivion. The space between elementary particles may be regarded as a sort of oblivion but that space is not infinite. Loss of the subjective experience of consciousness in one spacetime locality does not exclude the possibility of it happening in another place, whether or not the different places can be related to each other by any system of spacetime coordinates. (my sticking point here is in your use of the term 'possibility'; a possibility is either an idle speculation or a tentative claim with some evidence in its favor; in the absence of the latter, I cannot stake my life on the former) Some notable hard core materialists are turning to the idea of an infinite multiverse to explain away the anthropic principle. In doing so, they are unintentionally but logically excluding the possibility of permanent oblivion. (the 'multiverse' is a misnomer; the universe could just as easily encompass all that is thought to exist in a multiverse; if a 'multiverse' contained wholly disparate worlds, we could never know it)

#50 Clifford Greenblatt

• 355 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 10:27 AM

I would like to learn some more about oblivion cosmology. How is oblivion cosmology less speculative than anything else? I reject the idea of an infinite multiverse on Biblical grounds, but I see nothing in the laws of physics, as we know them, that would prohibit an infinite multiverse. An infinite multiverse is incompatible with oblivion cosmology because our lives would vanish from one place only to exist in other places, without limit. A finite multiverse is compatible with oblivion cosmology because it is just an extension of a single, finite universe. Now, here is how I picture oblivion cosmology. The universe tunnels into existence, perfectly uncaused. As the events of the universe unfold, forms of life evolve, eventually bringing about conscious, intelligent beings. Some of the conscious, intelligent beings want to maintain the continuity of their individual consciousness and intelligence indefinitely. Some of these actually succeed in making their threads last for millions of years. As the universe loses its capability to support any form of life, some clever intelligent beings devise more and more clever life boats to weather increasingly hostile conditions. After so many billions of years, even the most clever of intelligent beings have exhausted all their resources The last threads of intelligent and conscious life are finally broken, never to be restored. Some fundamental principle of reality prohibits any more universes from tunneling into existence and developing any conscious and intelligent life. The idea of God taking the spirits of any conscious, intelligent beings to a new and imperishable home is rejected because the universe, consisting of a bunch of elementary particles, is all there ever was to reality. A perfect state of oblivion has now been fulfilled.

No particular theology or philosophy needs to be assumed to define a destiny. A destiny is simply a final destination, no matter how it is reached. We may talk of many alternate possibilities that could have happened, but the actual destination is unique, could not have been different, and cannot be changed. Forget about "Infinite Lifespans." Oblivion cosmology permits one and only one destiny for all- absolute oblivion!

Edited by Clifford Greenblatt, 24 November 2003 - 10:44 AM.

#51 Sophianic

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Immortality
  • 197 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 06:42 PM

Clifford Greenblatt: I would like to learn some more about oblivion cosmology.

I wasn't aware there was a field of study known as "oblivion cosmology." Eschatology is thought to be a branch of theology that studies death, judgment, resurrection and immortality, but if oblivion is one of its features, then eschatology cannot be a branch of theology. Which is unfortunate because a study of the nature of death in relation to immortality need not be theological.

How is oblivion cosmology less speculative than anything else?

More precisely, how is oblivion less speculative than any other consequence of death? My immediate response would be: because it makes no positive claims. For example, it doesn't say: this is what's going to happen to you when you die; this is what's going to happen to you after you die; and this where you're going when you die. Oblivion is a difficult concept to grasp. It doesn't mean "nothing;" it doesn't mean "no where." These latter two assertions imply a potential for contrast. Oblivion is more profound than that. There is no contrast. There is nothing to describe. Introspectively, any attempt to imagine oblivion defies comprehension. Because there is nothing to comprehend. Nothing to claim. The moment you try to understand what will happen after you die, you speculate; or you make a claim, even if tentative.

I reject the idea of an infinite multiverse on Biblical grounds, but I see nothing in the laws of physics, as we know them, that would prohibit an infinite multiverse.

The idea is interesting, but what empirical precedent, what evidence can you offer that lends it plausibility?

An infinite multiverse is incompatible with oblivion cosmology because our lives would vanish from one place only to exist in other places, without limit.

I'm not sure how this could happen, other than presuming that it can, and then playing around with probabilities. What is the causal basis for such a magical act? Even if true, could we ever know it? And even if true, is "Clifford Greenblatt" preserved if he dies? Is he continuous? A continuer? Or merely connected? More to the point, should we even care if we can't answer these questions? If I assume that oblivion awaits me when I die, and you believe otherwise, and we both put a value on life, who is going to be more strongly motivated to seek optimal health, to age "successfully," to seek measures to ensure dramatic life and health extension?

A finite multiverse is compatible with oblivion cosmology because it is just an extension of a single, finite universe. Now, here is how I picture oblivion cosmology. The universe tunnels into existence, perfectly uncaused. As the events of the universe unfold, forms of life evolve, eventually bringing about conscious, intelligent beings. Some of the conscious, intelligent beings want to maintain the continuity of their individual consciousness and intelligence indefinitely. Some of these actually succeed in making their threads last for millions of years. As the universe loses its capability to support any form of life, some clever intelligent beings devise more and more clever life boats to weather increasingly hostile conditions. After so many billions of years, even the most clever of intelligent beings have exhausted all their resources. The last threads of intelligent and conscious life are finally broken, never to be restored. Some fundamental principle of reality prohibits any more universes from tunneling into existence and developing any conscious and intelligent life. The idea of God taking the spirits of any conscious, intelligent beings to a new and imperishable home is rejected because the universe, consisting of a bunch of elementary particles, is all there ever was to reality. A perfect state of oblivion has now been fulfilled.

Many eons ago, someone thought that the world rested on an elephant that stood on a giant turtle. We can laugh about it now, but my point: humanity's current knowledge of potential in the universe may lack the conceptual and mathematical basis to conceive of the means of creating the conditions that are necessary and sufficient to enable conscious, intelligent life to live and last forever, in one form or another.

No particular theology or philosophy needs to be assumed to define a destiny. A destiny is simply a final destination, no matter how it is reached. We may talk of many alternate possibilities that could have happened, but the actual destination is unique, could not have been different, and cannot be changed.

I disagree. Without a philosophy, how can one define a destiny? A destiny is more than a final destination; it includes the manner in which you grasp and utilize the means for reaching and realizing it. In other words, destiny is not intrinsic. It can be qualified, clarified, modified in the pursuit of it. Pre-destination implies the care and concern of a Creator. If I take it upon myself to be the creator of my destiny, I need not fix my destiny for all time.

Forget about "Infinite Lifespans." Oblivion cosmology permits one and only one destiny for all -- absolute oblivion!

You deny yourself the power of possibility in the material realm. I would encourage you to keep an open mind.

#52 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 09:37 PM

Physical immortality is living as long as you want, and wanting to live as long as you do. It is leaving when you choose, and doing it consciously.

#53 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 11:52 PM

Sorry it toook me so long to get back to you about the "Suspension of Subjective Consciousness" argument Sophianic.

The way I was thinking about it was as such:

Let us say I was cryonically suspended for a period of time (a minute, hour, year, or eon). During this period of time I would experience nothing. I wouldn't "experience" oblivion because I would be in stasis. No sensory input. No thoughts. No perception. After re-animation I would experience the world again as if no time had passed. As long as my molecules were still in place as before I would be the same person.

Now let us say that I was put into cryonic suspension and someone altered my body or mind slightly, but not enough to change my perception of self. After re-animation I might say "I feel a little different, but I am still me". During the time of stasis, I wouldn't experience anything because of no brain activity.

No let us say that I went into cryonic suspension and someone altered my body and mind so much so that when I was re-animated I felt like a total different person. People might show me pictures and video of what I was like before but I would not identify with it. I would feel as if I was a new person just born. The old person, the old consciousness, could be considered dead. However, from the perspective of the dead person nothing happenned except that he was frozen. His consciousness was suspended.

If the altered me (ie. the new me that cannot identify with the old me) was cryonically suspended once again and altered back to the old state enough so that when re-animated he once again said "I am alive once again...it is me...the original" then what has happenned. Was the old person dead and now alive again, or was it just the suspension of his subjective consciousness.

Of course this brings up again the "what is consciousness argument". If it is just a pattern of information...then during the time of cryonic suspension anything could be done to that pattern over any length of time and it wouldn't matter as long as it was re-organized to the original before re-animation.

Of course then we might also say the consciousness is "fluid" and that our own consciousness changes everyday by the experiences that we have and how our molecular structure changes. As long as there is continuity in our subjective consciousness we would probably say we are the same person. Sometimes traumatic things happen and maybe there is a break in our subjective consciousness, but we could also re-arrange things the way it was before our traumatic experience and be that same person as before...yada yada yada

Anyway the point is that if I could put another answer in the poll it would be the "suspension of subjective consciousness."

#54 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 05:38 AM

I am seized with desire to be something more. Something whose echo can drown out the rattle of death

#55 John Doe

• 291 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 11:05 AM

"The physical arguments from the analogy of nature are strong for the mortality of the soul, and are really the only philosophical arguments which ought to be admitted with regard to this question, or indeed any question of fact. Where any two objects are so closely connected that all alterations which we have ever seen in the one, are attended with proportionable alterations in the other; we ought to conclude by all rules of analogy, that, when there are still greater alterations produced in the former, and it is totally dissolved, there follows a total dissolution of the latter. Sleep, a very small effect on the body, is attended with a temporary extinction, at least a great confusion in the soul. The weakness of the body and that of the mind in infancy are exactly proportioned, their vigour in manhood, their sympathetic disorder in sickness; their common gradual decay in old age. The step further seems unavoidable; their common dissolution in death. The last symptoms which the mind discovers are disorder, weakness, insensibility, and stupidity, the fore-runners of its annihilation. The farther progress of the same causes encreasing, the same effects totally extinguish it."

David Hume, On The Immortality Of The Soul

#56 Clifford Greenblatt

• 355 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 11:40 AM

Cosmology is a scientific or philosophical system which attempts to explain the origin of the universe or of universes in general. Oblivion cosmology is a name I give to the subset of cosmological ideas which prohibit anyone from having an infinite life span. To avoid all the complexities of relativity and speculations about disparate universes, I will present an extremely simplified illustration of what is and what is not oblivion cosmology. The illustration is a two dimensional graph with an x axis and a y axis. The graph contains a single curve of y as a function of x that extends infinitely in the plus and minus x directions. A particular person's subjective consciousness is bound exclusively to points on the curve for which the y value is between 9 and 10. First, consider the curve described by the formula x = y. The life span of the person is finite because the subjective consciousness of the person is entirely confined to a finite segment of the x axis. This illustrates oblivion cosmology. Now consider a white noise function in place of the x = y curve. The RMS amplitude of the noise will have a very great effect on what fraction of the x axis contains the subjective consciousness of the person. However, no matter what that fraction may be, the life span of the person is infinite because it covers an infinite amount of the x axis. This is an illustration of what is not oblivion cosmology. So far, there is nothing theological in the illustration. The only theological connection is that oblivion cosmology is contrary to Biblical theology along with several other theologies. Oblivion cosmology is also contrary to the materialist and antitheistic speculation about an infinite multiverse.

You deny yourself the power of possibility in the material realm. I would encourage you to keep an open mind.

The fact that oblivion cosmology prohibits infinite life spans (besides doing so by my definition) is a simple matter of statistical mechanics. To deny this is to deny the validity of the well established science of statistical mechanics.

Pre-destination implies the care and concern of a Creator.

I agree.

If I take it upon myself to be the creator of my destiny, I need not fix my destiny for all time.

Can you change what you did yesterday? Can you go back in time and edit those things? In two more days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Originally posted by nefastor
As my mom always says : "no one ever came back to tell us about it".

This is most definitely a theological statement. It is totally contrary to the Biblical claim that Jesus was put to death, conquered the blight of sin and death, and physically rose from the dead to tell us about it.

If I assume that oblivion awaits me when I die, and you believe otherwise, and we both put a value on life, who is going to be more strongly motivated to seek optimal health, to age "successfully," to seek measures to ensure dramatic life and health extension?

On the contrary, if I believe that God has made an infinite investment in my life and in the lives of others, should not this motivate me to order my life and my relationships with others in a way that acknowledges and honours this infinite investment?

#57 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 01:30 PM

There seems to be such heroism in the unstoppable instinct to live.

#58 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 02:06 AM

Anyone who has lost someone to death feels robbed and cheated. Often, the memory of a loved one becomes blurred like a Seurat painting. From a distance, it seems like a beautiful detailed landscape, but up close, there’s only a collection of dots.

#59 Sophianic

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Immortality
  • 197 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 12:17 AM

Mind: Let us say I was cryonically suspended for a period of time (a minute, hour, year, or eon). During this period of time I would experience nothing. I wouldn't "experience" oblivion because I would be in stasis. No sensory input. No thoughts. No perception. After re-animation I would experience the world again as if no time had passed. As long as my molecules were still in place as before I would be the same person.

In other words, oblivion would not be your fate if your body and/or brain are prepared for cryonic suspension in a timely and effective manner, and if re-animation proves to be a viable option.

Now let us say that I was put into cryonic suspension and someone altered my body or mind slightly, but not enough to change my perception of self. After re-animation I might say "I feel a little different, but I am still me". During the time of stasis, I wouldn't experience anything because of no brain activity.

So far, so good.

No let us say that I went into cryonic suspension and someone altered my body and mind so much so that when I was re-animated I felt like a total different person. People might show me pictures and video of what I was like before but I would not identify with it. I would feel as if I was a new person just born. The old person, the old consciousness, could be considered dead. However, from the perspective of the dead person nothing happenned except that he was frozen. His consciousness was suspended.

But this alteration to body and brain (and hence, mind) would not destroy the underlying basis for a return to the way you were. You feel like a totally different person, but because the alterations are, in effect, additions or subtle modifications that preserve the underlying basis for a return to the way you were, you are not entirely a different person if the potential still exists for a return to the way you felt when you de-animated.

If the altered me (ie. the new me that cannot identify with the old me) was cryonically suspended once again and altered back to the old state enough so that when re-animated he once again said "I am alive once again...it is me...the original" then what has happenned. Was the old person dead and now alive again, or was it just the suspension of his subjective consciousness.

I would say that the "older" version of you was superceded by a "newer" version of you, but is not dead if "dead" means "no chance of recovery whatsoever to the 'older' version of you."

Of course this brings up again the "what is consciousness argument". If it is just a pattern of information...then during the time of cryonic suspension anything could be done to that pattern over any length of time and it wouldn't matter as long as it was re-organized to the original before re-animation.

I have difficulty with the notion of consciousness being merely a pattern of information because it brings up a need to clarify the difference between simulation and emulation. I think the latter is more comprehensive because it includes the subjective experience of "I-ness" (sorry, I don't know how else to say it). While anything can be done to a pattern over time, the underlying potential for a return to an "older" version of you would be preserved, and so you would not be completely "dead," i.e., consigned to oblivion.

Of course then we might also say the consciousness is "fluid" and that our own consciousness changes everyday by the experiences that we have and how our molecular structure changes. As long as there is continuity in our subjective consciousness we would probably say we are the same person. Sometimes traumatic things happen and maybe there is a break in our subjective consciousness, but we could also re-arrange things the way it was before our traumatic experience and be that same person as before...yada yada yada

For me, my state of consciousness is a constant. My identity, my persistent sense of who and what I am, is fluid over time because I am constantly learning and growing. But I agree that restoring the arrangement of neurons (for example) before a traumatic experience (that altered your sense of yourself) would also restore your sense of who and what you are before the trauma.

Anyway the point is that if I could put another answer in the poll it would be the "suspension of subjective consciousness."

I would be careful to make a distinction between death and de-animation, but only if and when re-animation via cryonic suspension becomes a viable option. Right now, it remains a tantalizing hope. The "suspension of subjective consciousness" presumes that it's more than a hope. If or when re-animation via cryonic suspension becomes a viable option, secular researchers will likely make some kind of distinction between 'de-animation' and death, where the former is temporary and the latter terminal.

#60 Sophianic

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Immortality
  • 197 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 12:58 AM

Clifford Greenblatt: Cosmology is a scientific or philosophical system which attempts to explain the origin of the universe or of universes in general. Oblivion cosmology is a name I give to the subset of cosmological ideas which prohibit anyone from having an infinite life span. To avoid all the complexities of relativity and speculations about disparate universes, I will present an extremely simplified illustration of what is and what is not oblivion cosmology. The illustration is a two dimensional graph with an x axis and a y axis. The graph contains a single curve of y as a function of x that extends infinitely in the plus and minus x directions. A particular person's subjective consciousness is bound exclusively to points on the curve for which the y value is between 9 and 10. First, consider the curve described by the formula x = y. The life span of the person is finite because the subjective consciousness of the person is entirely confined to a finite segment of the x axis. This illustrates oblivion cosmology. Now consider a white noise function in place of the x = y curve. The RMS amplitude of the noise will have a very great effect on what fraction of the x axis contains the subjective consciousness of the person. However, no matter what that fraction may be, the life span of the person is infinite because it covers an infinite amount of the x axis. This is an illustration of what is not oblivion cosmology. So far, there is nothing theological in the illustration. The only theological connection is that oblivion cosmology is contrary to Biblical theology along with several other theologies. Oblivion cosmology is also contrary to the materialist and antitheistic speculation about an infinite multiverse.

I appreciate, for the most part, what you're saying. Perhaps the antithesis of what you call 'oblivion' cosmology might be something called 'perpetual' cosmology.

The fact that oblivion cosmology prohibits infinite life spans (besides doing so by my definition) is a simple matter of statistical mechanics. To deny this is to deny the validity of the well established science of statistical mechanics.

I certainly would not want to deny the validity of a well-established science, but it should also be noted that knowledge is contextual, continually expanded and refined in the light of new facts and evidence.

If I take it upon myself to be the creator of my destiny, I need not fix my destiny for all time.

Can you change what you did yesterday? Can you go back in time and edit those things? In two more days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

So does this mean that the person whose 'true' destiny is to become a doctor (to use your example) cannot change what he or she did yesterday if he or she decided to go on the public dole?

If I assume that oblivion awaits me when I die, and you believe otherwise, and we both put a value on life, who is going to be more strongly motivated to seek optimal health, to age "successfully," to seek measures to ensure dramatic life and health extension?

On the contrary, if I believe that God has made an infinite investment in my life and in the lives of others, should not this motivate me to order my life and my relationships with others in a way that acknowledges and honours this infinite investment?

Yes, I agree that this would motivate you to arrange your life and relationships in a way that would acknowledge and honor "this infinite investment." In other words, you would have no trouble putting a value on life. But I did suppose in my question that we "both put a value on life."

My concern is that you (and others like you) would not be so strongly motivated to seek optimal health, to age "successfully" and seek measures to ensure dramatic life and health extension if you thought that a place in heaven awaited you when (or if) you left this world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users