http://www.ncbi.nlm....t_uids=19799980

" Choline + Uridine: Build New Neurons and Protect Against Alzheimer’s "

http://www.smart-pub...nst-Alzheimers/

#152 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:59 PM

Nicotinamide restores cognition in AD transgenic
mice via a mechanism involving sirtuin inhibition
and selective reduction of Thr231-phosphotau.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....cles/PMC2617713

Cell Life Versus Cell Longevity: The Mysteries
Surrounding the NAD+ Precursor Nicotinamide.

" In a similar vein, inhibition of PARP activity by nicotinamide
may be critical for disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease.

More recently, sufficient dietary niacin intake examined in
a series of patients aged 65 and older has been implicated
as a potential factor to protect against the development or
progression of Alzheimer’s disease. "

http://www.ncbi.nlm....cles/PMC2248696
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#153 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:20 PM

A look again at the full text of the benfotiamine abstract
as given earlier by Sillewater.

" The drastic disturbance of glucose metabolism in the
brain is one of the striking features of Alzheimer’s
disease. A significant reduction in cerebral glucose
consumption can precede overt clinical symptoms or
brain atrophy, even for decades. "

" Thus, Alzheimer’s disease has been considered to be
an ‘insulin-resistant brain state’ or even a type 3 diabetes
mellitus (Steen et al., 2005). These previous studies,
therefore, indicate that a disturbance of glucose
metabolism in the brain is associated with the
pathogenesis of Alzheimer’s disease. "

" We found that chronic treatment of benfotiamine significantly
reduced the number of amyloid plaques. By contrast,
fursultiamine had no effect on the number of amyloid plaques
Furthermore, we examined the phosphorylation of tau, and
also found that only chronic treatment of benfotiamine but not
fursultiamine significantly reduced the number of the
phosphorylated tau-positive cells. Taken together, these
results indicate that benfotiamine, but not fursultiamine, exerts
robust neuroprotection against cognitive impairment and
pathological alterations in the Alzheimer’s disease mouse model. "

" ..... benfotiamine most likely exerts its beneficial effects
through thiamine-independent pathways. "

" Recently, GSK-3 has been considered to be a new mechanism
in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer’s disease. In particular,
inhibition of GSK-3 activity blocked the production of β-amyloid
peptides by interfering with APP cleavage ...... chronic
benfotiamine treatment affects the phosphorylation of both
GSK-3α and GSK-3β, and reduces their enzymatic activities. "

" ..... benfotiamine has been shown to block three major
pathways of hyperglycaemic damage (the hexosamine
pathway, the advanced glycation end product formation
pathway and the diacylglycerol-protein kinase C pathway),
as well as hyperglycaemia-associated nuclear factor-κB
activation, by activating transketolase, thus preventing the
development and progression of diabetic nerve complications. "

" Benfotiamine is a special S-acyl thiamine derivative, while
most other thiamine derivatives including fursultiamine are
disulphide derivatives. This special modification may endow
benfotiamine with unique pharmacological effects. "

" .... benfotiamine may also regulate GSK-3 activities.
GSK-3 was first identified as a kinase involved in controlling
glycogen metabolism. Now, it has been demonstrated as a
ubiquitous serine/threonine protein kinase that participates
in multiple physiological and pathological processes.
Specifically, GSK-3 is involved in insulin signalling cascade
and molecular pathogenesis of diabetes. Interestingly, recent
evidence shows that GSK-3 also contributes to the
pathogenesis of Alzheimer’s disease (Takashima, 2006).
Inhibiting GSK-3 activity has been demonstrated to reduce \
the production and accumulation of β-amyloid in APP
(amyloid precursor protein) overexpressing mice. "

" ..... benfotiamine significantly enhanced the phosphorylation
levels and reduced enzymatic activities of both GSK-3α and
-3β in the APP/PS1 mice, suggesting that a GSK-3-dependent
pathway may be involved in the beneficial effects of benfotiamine. "

The current study has a major clinical implication in preventing
and treating Alzheimer’s disease because benfotiamine has
been utilized and shown to be without any serious side-effect
as a food supplement or a drug for therapies of peripheral
nervous disorders in some countries. "

" Also, benfotiamine differs from other water-soluble and
lipophilic thiamine derivatives both in its physicochemical
properties and its structure, especially in the open thiazole
ring and S-acyl. These properties endow benfotiamine with
complicated pharmacokinetics. "

http://brain.oxfordj...133/5/1342.long

" Benfotiamine Fights Cognitive Impairment in Alzheimer's. "

http://www.naturalpr...alzheimers.aspx
  • like x 3

#154 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:51 PM

" After being on the cinnamon and taking warm water
aqua therapy classes, I have my mom back. "

http://alzheimers.in...61/m/6821006162

Orally administrated cinnamon extract reduces
beta-amyloid oligomerization and corrects cognitive
impairment in Alzheimer's disease animal models.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....t_uids=21305046

Cinnamon extract inhibits tau aggregation
associated with Alzheimer's disease in vitro.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....t_uids=19433898

Curcuma aromatia (ul-keum) and Zingiber officinale
(ginger) extracts effectively protected cells from
betaA(1-42) insult, followed by :

Ginkgo biloba
Polygonatum sp. (King Solomon's seal)
Cinnamum cassia (Chinese cinnamon)
Rheum coreanum (Korean rhubarb)
Gastrodia elata (gastrodia)
Scutellaria baicalensis (Chinese or Baikal scullcap).

http://www.ncbi.nlm....t_uids=17480132
  • like x 1

#155 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:21 PM

Alzheimer's Might Be Transmissible in
Similar Way as Infectious Prion Diseases.

http://www.scienceda...11004113757.htm

Protein Misfolding and Neurodegeneration.

http://captura.uchil...oto_Claudio.pdf
  • like x 1

#156 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:17 AM

Which makes a lot of sense if it caused by HSV-1 / 2.

#157 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:04 PM

what about technologies that have anecdotally helped some with Alzhiemers? I have started a thread here on technologies like hyperbaric oxygen, to Low light level laser therapy, to treat everything from TBI to dementia. Where is the evidence that these therapies actually can help someone already with dementia, or TBI?

http://www.longecity...-damage-mostly/

In my case I have a small window of time to treat a very complex array of brain traumas, "closed head injury" type to heavy metal poisoing, to a brain injury at birth, sorry to repeat things here, i am pretty amnesic these days, but the intent of the thread is to hopefully help others in while I can learn myself what NOT to do and what seems the most promising for my condition.

I have naturally gone to doctors, and other forums for info but imminst people tend to think things out and are far more versed in the scientific method than others, however this is not always the case of course:)

Edited by dfowler, 01 December 2011 - 11:13 PM.

#158 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:31 PM

I just read the myriad of proposed ways to prevent and treat dementia...it's too much information, we need a more systematic way of finding the most scienced based ways, instead of listing every herb and compound possible, as this thread won't help people who don't have the time, nor cappacity to study all of this, too much informaiton.

I've said I have some kind of serious brain injury and could lead to dementia, perhaps traumatic encephalpothy, combined with toxic damage, etc.

Maybe we could start a thread on other dementias as well, prevention, treatment, of all kinds. But keep this one going as AD is a huge huge epidemic and many in this thread it's hit home directly it seems. sigh...

One has to be careful with studies that are done in sketchy hospitals and in, no offense, countries that may not have the standards of more progressive ones, however this does not make the promise of herbal treaments untrue. It's just now becoming impossible for most to decipher so many studies, while keeping in mind the potential for cognitive bias on the researchers themselves hoping a promising compound is doing what they hope it will.

We are still making hypothesis based on theories, and things that might not work in real life dementia patients...of course in dementia, slowing down the decline is most important, while also diminishing the suffering of the person.

#159 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:50 PM

if someone could please list the most promising prevenative, as well as potential ways to grow new neruons etc. for people already with a dementia, that would be most helpful to keep this thread readable.

Also opinons on whether throwing a huge cocktail of all of these promising supplements is even a safe idea, would also be helpful to many who want to have a quick list handy. Anything listing over 40 or 50 supplements is getting into dangerous territory, as people will just be overwhelmed not knowing what to buy first, we must keep in mind care givers of Alzhiemers patients are living like one of the postres said vicariously through their family member, and it causes a synergestic effect of loss of control including loss to reason well.

This is true with my conditon, (whatever that may be exactly,) my family is overwhelmed, and although brilliant my father and friends helping can't keep up with TMI. I am not being selfish here, I'm saying this is most likely the norm if we really want to help people.

#160 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:16 AM

It's about time we life extension enthusiasts banded together and opened our own nursing homes...

ha! I love it, yea, thanks to modern medicine even the "immortality institute" is becoming more like a triage...well it is.

I just read one posters blog who is caring for her mum with Alzheimers, all the medical research basically states that no suppelments prevent or can treat Alzheimers, but then we have a billion studies only in the past few years with these same s***heads finally learning uh oh maybe we should be looking at things like fish oil, perhaps a little closer.

It's the years of bias against nature itself it seems like, that has caused a lot of the problem. Medicine in all mainstream forms is out for profit as aggressively as wall street, but the difference being our insatiable need for greed has prevented actual good medicine from being funded, as in research, clinical trials, and curing so many diseases. Most of us know this here at imminst, I'm just venting.

It's always a fun thing for me when some oil tycoon comes down with a disease that his wealth alone could have probably been used to find a cure had he not cared more about his jim beam, prostitutes, and fancy things.

Thanks humankind for continuing to f up everyone's health and lives, through all that you do to maintain the status quo!

yea!

rock on!

Edited by dfowler, 02 December 2011 - 12:17 AM.

#161 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:22 AM

last post for now, I'm sure most of you realize we would not be turning to herbs, and amino acids, had we been doing our homework, and not making people more sick with the hazards of side effects of present day drugs and treatments. Sorry the idea is personalized medicine not just throwing crap at people randomly. We could have prevented this if greed did not get in the way, of course certain antioxidants, amino acids, herbs, vitamins will play a crucial role in the future of personalized medicine, or it may not, if stem cell therapies can correct things along with varous other futuristic medical ideas, that won't happen in any of our lifetimes thanks to the state of medicine today around the globe.

Just think they are now using electroshock as a first line therapy on Alzheimers patients, I kid you not. I was told personally by my former ECT doctor at Mcleans the 'gold standard' of psyche care in America.

He told me they are also shocking the mentally retarded. ECT = severe brain damage, and it's still considerd our "best way to treat depression." How can a dementia patient or mentally impaired patient even reason that shock is dangerous, when they don't even tell the brightest of the bright that the voltage current and overall energy is higher today than in 1938 when shock was used to help slaughter pigs?

That's the state we are in...it's a crisis beyond words. 200,000 patients die each year from drug intereactions, including overdose in this country alone, and while 88 year olds are losing their minds faster through barbaric means, by being shocked at 450 volts, 9 ampiers of current per session over many per week, per month etc. until they are more demented then they used to be, no one is doing anything about aggressively campainging to change all the quackery and bad medicine.

Now they are experimenting with magnets as in Transcranial magnetic stimulation for everything, where I don't think there is any science there, just my opinion.

Edited by dfowler, 02 December 2011 - 12:28 AM.

#162 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:36 AM

last post for now, I'm sure most of you realize we would not be turning to herbs, and amino acids, had we been doing our homework, and not making people more sick with the hazards of side effects of present day drugs and treatments. Sorry the idea is personalized medicine not just throwing crap at people randomly. We could have prevented this if greed did not get in the way, of course certain antioxidants, amino acids, herbs, vitamins will play a crucial role in the future of personalized medicine, or it may not, if stem cell therapies can correct things along with varous other futuristic medical ideas, that won't happen in any of our lifetimes thanks to the state of medicine today around the globe.

Just think they are now using electroshock as a first line therapy on Alzheimers patients, I kid you not. I was told personally by my former ECT doctor at Mcleans the 'gold standard' of psyche care in America.

He told me they are also shocking the mentally retarded. ECT = severe brain damage, and it's still considerd our "best way to treat depression." How can a dementia patient or mentally impaired patient even reason that shock is dangerous, when they don't even tell the brightest of the bright that the voltage current and overall energy is higher today than in 1938 when shock was used to help slaughter pigs?

That's the state we are in...it's a crisis beyond words. 200,000 patients die each year from drug intereactions, including overdose in this country alone, and while 88 year olds are losing their minds faster through barbaric means, by being shocked at 450 volts, 9 ampiers of current per session over many per week, per month etc. until they are more demented then they used to be, no one is doing anything about aggressively campainging to change all the quackery and bad medicine.

Now they are experimenting with magnets as in Transcranial magnetic stimulation for everything, where I don't think there is any science there, just my opinion.

When you say Electroshock, do you mean DBS because I've read positive things in regards to stimulation of the deep brain via current?

#163 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:21 AM

When you say Electroshock, do you mean DBS because I've read positive things in regards to stimulation of the deep brain via current?

no I mean in ECT, as in putting a shock probe to ones skull bilateral or unilateral and dosing heavy current to the brain inducing a grande mal seizure. 100,000 to 150,000 people get duped, or even forced into doing this treatment each year in the states.

It's amazing how little people know what is going on in mainstream, even the top of the top psyche hospitals.

I was studying the history of ECT, it causes severe brain damage in all forms, here is one of many links I have acccumulated in hopes of exposing this deadly quackery. http://www.huffingto...ie_b_44734.html

that was the big breakout story on Huffington Post when a top shock doctor, is the deragotory term, came out and admitted eCT is damaging all forms of cogntiion, some lose decades of life memories, it's usually used on women, mostly old, but now everyone is being sold shock, for "treatment resistent everything," ist' total bullshit, and they even shock 12 year old in this country.

Here's another link, http://www.mind.org....ng_sense_of_ect

than just google controversy over ECT on wikipedia, if you want a starter course in a therapy, where they don't tell you any risk of side effects, the only medical treatment I've ever heard of that still do this! and in the top of the top as in Mcleans where i was duped into getting it in 2007. So the current is higher than in the kind that Ernest Hemigway got, and famously quoted,

from wiki
At this time Hemingway was worried about money and about his safety.[135] He worried about his taxes, and that he would never return to Cuba to retrieve the manuscripts he had left there in a bank-vault. He also became paranoid, [138] and thought the FBI was actively monitoring his movements. [note 7] By the end of November Mary was at wit's end and Saviers suggested Hemingway go to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, where he may have believed he was to be treated for hypertension.[138] At an attempt at anonymity he was checked in under Saviers' name.[137] Meyers writes that "an aura of secrecy surrounds Hemingway's treatment at the Mayo", but confirms he was treated with electroconvulsive therapy as many as 15 times in December 1960, then in January 1961 he was "released in ruins".[139] Reynolds accessed Hemingway's records at the Mayo which indicate the combination of Ritalin with Serpasil (hyper-tension medication) may have created a depressive state, for which he was treated.[140]

Posted Image

Posted ImageErnest and Mary Hemingway are buried in the town cemetery in Ketchum, Idaho.
Three months later, back in Ketchum, one morning in the kitchen Mary "found Hemingway holding a shotgun". She called Saviers who sedated him and admitted him to the Sun Valley hospital; from there he was returned to the Mayo for more shock treatments.[141] He was released in late June and arrived home in Ketchum on June 30. Two days later, in the early morning hours of July 2, 1961, Hemingway "quite deliberately" shot himself with his favorite shotgun.[142] He unlocked the basement storeroom where his guns were kept, went upstairs to the front entrance foyer of their Ketchum home, and "pushed two shells into the twelve-gauge Boss shotgun ...put the end of the barrel into his mouth, pulled the trigger and blew out his brains." Hemingway's chin, mouth, and lower cheeks were left, but the upper half of his head was blown away.[143] Mary called the Sun Valley Hospital, and Dr. Scott Earle arrived at the house within "fifteen minutes". Despite his finding that Hemingway "had died of a self-inflicted wound to the head", the story told to the press was that the death had been "accidental".[144]
The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry. —Ernest Hemingway in A Farewell to Arms
During his final years, Hemingway's behavior was similar to his father's before he himself committed suicide;[145] his father may have had the genetic disease hemochromatosis, in which the inability to metabolize iron culminates in mental and physical deterioration.[146] Medical records made available in 1991 confirm that Hemingway's hemochromatosis had been diagnosed in early 1961.[147] His sister Ursula and his brother Leicester also committed suicide.[148] Added to Hemingway's physical ailments was the additional problem that he had been a heavy drinker for most of his life.[107] Writing in "Ernest Hemingway: A Psychological Autopsy of a Suicide", Christopher Martin evaluates the causes of the suicide: "Careful reading of Hemingway's major biographies and his personal and public writings reveals evidence suggesting the presence of the following conditions during his lifetime: bipolar disorder, alcohol dependence, traumatic brain injury, and probable borderline and narcissistic personality traits".[149] Martin claims suicide was inevitable because Hemingway "suffered from an enormous burden of psychiatric comorbidities and risk factors for suicide", although without a clinical evaluation of the patient, Martin concedes a diagnosis is difficult.[149]
Hemingway's family and friends flew to Ketchum for the funeral, which was officiated by the local Catholic priest, who believed the death accidental.[144] Of the funeral (during which an altar boy fainted at the head of the casket), his brother Leicester wrote: "It seemed to me Ernest would have approved of it all."[150]
In a press interview five years later Mary Hemingway admitted that her husband had committed suicide.[151]

#164 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:00 AM

I am surprised this 2010 paper is not here The Alzheimer's Disease-Associated Amyloid β-Protein Is an Antimicrobial Peptide

The amyloid β-protein (Aβ) is believed to be the key mediator of Alzheimer's disease (AD) pathology. Aβ is most often characterized as an incidental catabolic byproduct that lacks a normal physiological role. However, Aβ has been shown to be a specific ligand for a number of different receptors and other molecules, transported by complex trafficking pathways, modulated in response to a variety of environmental stressors, and able to induce pro-inflammatory activities.

Our findings suggest Aβ is a hitherto unrecognized AMP [= Anti-Microbial Peptide] that may normally function in the innate immune system. This finding stands in stark contrast to current models of Aβ-mediated pathology and has important implications for ongoing and future AD treatment strategies.

a transient infection may lead to a self-perpetuating innate immune response. Transient triggers may include pathogens reported to be present in AD brain. And in a third mechanism, an inappropriate inflammatory response by the innate immune system to transient or persistent non-infectious insults could also trigger a self-perpetuating innate immune response.

In summary, our finding that Aβ is an antimicrobial peptide is the first evidence that the species responsible for amyloidosis may have a normal function. This stands in stark contrast to current models, which assume β-amyloid deposition to be an accidental process resulting from the abnormal behavior of an incidental product of catabolism. Our data suggest increased Aβ generation, and resulting AD pathology, may be a mediated by a response of the innate immune system to a perceived infection.

If you read on AMPs, you will start seeing that all diseases (aside from genetic errors, traumas and poisonings) are due to infections (add pathogens' subversion of autophagy for a good measure here). AMPs are also implicated in arterial plaque. Worse, AMPs have about the same deleterious effect on mitochondria as on bacteria for which they were intended (they depolarize their membranes). This thought is off of topic here, but papers like this make me lean more and more toward chronic slow-growing subclinical infections as the main cause of all diseases of aging.

#165 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:18 PM

From my layman's perspective regarding this latest research result, I wonder if the BDNF made the neurons stronger or enhanced their ability to communicate, and thus helped reduce the cognitive impairment. To me, it still seems very important to clear out the amyloid-beta since we are not born with massive amounts clumped all over our brains, but we end up with that situation late in life. Maintaining proper functions with a dwindling number of neurons is great progress, but more optimal would be to keep as many neurons as possible and get rid of the amyloid-beta.

I just wanted to come back to this thought in light of this recent research result: http://www.nature.co...NRNEUROL-201112

The fully human monoclonal antibody gantenerumab, which targets amyloid-β plaques, seems to cause a dose-dependent decrease in brain amyloid levels, according to a clinical trial involving 18 patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer disease (AD).

Some people are still worried about removing A-beta but not seeing any cognitive improvement. While not seeing immediate cognitive improvement is not the optimal result, I think we have to be cautious and conduct long term studies in order to assess the efficacy of removing A-beta. The brain is very plastic and adaptable. As we age, our brain adapts to the aggregation of different junk, like A-beta. We are often able to function well into old age even though our neurons continue to die and are crowded out by junk. My hunch is that if the junk is removed, it will take some time for the brain to return to optimal functioning. We might need to find ways of upregulating nuerogenesis. The main point here is that safe methods of clearing A-beta should not be "thrown-out" just because there is no immediate improvement in traditionally measured cognitive function.
  • Agree x 1

#166 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:21 AM

We've been discussing uprating BDNF, NGF and neurogenesis in general, in this thread:
http://www.longecity...ne-uridine-dha/

There are positive 2nd stage clinical trials for 'Souvenaid', which is a beverage version of 'Fortasyn Connect', for Alzheimer's:
http://aboutalz.com/?p=1555

Regarding β-amyloid, it's interesting that it's a NOS inhibitor, particularly as NOS is responsible for the apoptosis. It does suggest it may be a self-defence, of sorts:
http://www.fasebj.or...186fje.full.pdf
However L-arginine and some crafted peptides seem to be able to reduce the protein aggregation, which fits the hypothesis of L-arginine scavenging by HSV-1 infection:
http://pubs.acs.org/....1021/bi050225s

Removal of TNF-alpha has shown dramatic results in some patients:
http://www.scienceda...80109091102.htm

#167 Werner

• 80 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:20 AM

Very good post.
AD normally is coming from long lasting nutrition mistakes.

#168 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:45 AM

thanks Werner, I'm desperately trying to undo my damage...I'm constantly tweaking things.

#169 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:10 AM

A number of posts above mention the spice Sage. Sage contains Thujone. Be careful with it.
http://en.wikipedia....ne#Pharmacology

The choice of thujone as drug for diabetes.
The use of thujone, a monoterpene ketone often present in sage (Salvia officinalis L.) or wormwood (Artemisia absinthium L.), for the treatment of diabetes mellitus was recently suggested in a study published in this journal. Evidence was based on the findings obtained in a diabetic rat model. After oral treatment with thujone (5 mg/kg bodyweight (bw)/day for 28 days), the cholesterol and triglyceride levels were significantly adjusted to normal levels when compared to diabetic, untreated rats. While these results sound promising and worthy of further investigation, the well-defined profile of the adverse properties of thujone demands a cautious interpretation of these results. The therapeutic margin of thujone appears to be small, as a dose-related incidence of seizures was noted in 2-year National Toxicology Program studies in rats and mice. The dose level in the diabetic rat study is also considerably higher than a daily intake that is acceptable for humans (0.1 mg/kg bw/day).

http://pmid.us/21988529

#170 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:22 PM

That's why Spanish sage was listed as well, since it
contains minimal thujones.

http://www.longecity...post__p__395020

#171 steampoweredgod

• 409 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:16 PM

Now, a study by researchers in the University of Georgia College of Pharmacy has shown that an antioxidant can delay the onset of all the indicators of Alzheimer's disease, including cognitive decline. The researchers administered an antioxidant compound called MitoQ to mice genetically engineered to develop Alzheimer's. The results of their study were published in the Nov. 2 issue of the Journal of Neuroscience.

"MitoQ selectively accumulates in the mitochondria,"

In their study, mice engineered to carry three genes associated with familial Alzheimer's were tested for cognitive impairment using the Morris Water Maze, a common test for memory retention. The mice that had received MitoQ in their drinking water performed significantly better than those that didn't. Additionally, the treated mice tested negative for the oxidative stress, amyloid burden, neural death and synaptic loss associated with Alzheimer's.-sciencedaily

MitoQ appears to be a lipophilic antioxidant that accumulates in the mitochondria and protects its membrane. In other species membrane composition changes to resist oxidation have been one of the factors behind an order of magnitude increase in lifespan.

MitoQ® is targeted to mitochondria by covalent attachment to a lipophilic triphenylphosphonium cation.

Because of the large mitochondria membrane potential, the cations accumulate within cellular mitochondria up to 1,000 fold, compared to non-targeted antioxidants such as Coenzyme Q or its analogues. This accumulation enables the antioxidant moiety to block lipid peroxidation, and maintain the integrity of the mitochondria membrane by protecting it from oxidative damage.-link

#172 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:50 PM

I just read the myriad of proposed ways to prevent and treat dementia...it's too much information, we need a more systematic way of finding the most scienced based ways, instead of listing every herb and compound possible, as this thread won't help people who don't have the time, nor capacity to study all of this, too much informaiton.

If people "do not have time" to study all the valuable information
posted in this thread (which takes quite a good deal of time to
find in the first place), who can help them, and what can anyone
do, really ?

That is the purpose of this discussion, to locate and post all
possible ways, especially the latest and/or most effective ones,
to reverse this condition, at least to a certain extent, or failing
that, try to prevent it from deteriorating further, and further
failing that, slow down that deterioration as a last-ditch stance.

If information towards the above goal is what one requires, and
such information is considered "too much information", then
it would be self-defeating posting it in the first place.
  • like x 2

#173 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:28 PM

Kyolic.

" Treatment with AGE (aged garlic extract) or SAC
(S-allylcysteine) prevented the degeneration of the
brain's frontal lobe, improved learning and memory
retention, and extended life span. Isolated neurons from
the hippocampus area, grown in the presence of AGE or SAC,
showed an unusual ability to grow and branch,
which may be linked to the findings that AGE increases
learning and cognition. "

http://jn.nutrition....136/3/810S.long

Edited by tham, 17 December 2011 - 12:35 PM.

#174 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:45 PM

Not sure if this one was posted somewhere else, but I thought it was an interesting approach to destroying A-beta.

Green Tea and Red Light might lead to a novel Alzheimer's treatment.

Andrei Sommer at the University of Ulm in Germany, and colleagues, have previously used red light with a wavelength of 670 nanometres to transport cancer drugs into cells. The laser light pushes water out of the cells and when the laser is switched off, the cells "suck in" water and any other molecules, including drugs, from their surroundings.

Now, Sommer's team have found that the same technique can be used to destroy the beta-amyloid plaques in Alzheimer's. These plaques consist of abnormally folded peptides, and are thought to disrupt communication between nerve cells, leading to loss of memory and other symptoms.

The team bathed brain cells containing beta-amyloid in epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) - a green-tea extract known to have beta-amyloid inhibiting properties - at the same time as stimulating the cells with red light. Beta-amyloid in the cells reduced by around 60 per cent. Shining the laser light alone onto cells reduced beta-amyloid by around 20 per cent (Photomedicine and Laser Surgery, DOI: 10.1089/pho.2011.3073).

#175 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

The coumarin scopoletin, found in noni, cocoa and nettle leaf,
Urtica dioca.

Scopoletin has cholinesterase blocking, antiinflammatory,
antioxidant and nicotinic receptor agonistic properties, making
it particularly useful in dementia.

Its cholinesterase blockade and nicotinic agonist properties
are similar to that of galantamine.

http://www.biomedcen...1-2210/8/S1/A36

" A drug that enhances cholinergic neurotransmission and also
exerts antioxidative and anti-inflammatory actions would be
highly desirable as a therapeutic for neurodegenerative diseases
such as Alzheimer's dementia (AD). Additionally, nAChR
agonists are of high interest because they may also decrease
the in excess synthesis and deposition of beta-amyloid peptide. "

" Accumulating evidence suggests that nAChR agonists may be
superior to AChE inhibitors in the treatment of AD. It has been
reported that the α7 nAChR is involved in the beta-amyloidogenic
pathway and plays a neuroprotective role in connection with the
pathogenesis of AD. Hence, the effectiveness of SCT at the
different subtypes is of high interest. "

http://www.ncbi.nlm....cles/PMC3212650

#176 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

Lipoic acid as a novel treatment for Alzheimer's disease
and related dementias.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16989905

#177 Nigel Kinbrum

• 19 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:54 PM

I have regained control over my mum's supplement regime. I just had to ask her GP politely and provide him with good quality evidence.
See Get in! Parts 2 & 3.

#178 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

I have regained control over my mum's supplement regime. I just had to ask her GP politely and provide him with good quality evidence.
See Get in! Parts 2 & 3.

Good for you. I can't even get a basic multivit past my elder brother
to my father in the nursing home.

Grape Juice, Berries, and Walnuts Affect Brain Aging and Behavior.

" ..... berries, Concord grapes, and walnuts may increase “health span”
and enhance cognitive and motor function in aging. "

http://jn.nutrition....39/9/1813S.long

#179 Nigel Kinbrum

• 19 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

I am mum's sole attorney & visiting relative, so I arrange all of mum's supplements with her GP's consent.

P.S. She eats some chopped-up brazil nuts that I provide.

Edited by Nigeepoo, 26 March 2012 - 09:29 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#180 Nigel Kinbrum

• 19 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

Hot news: Vitamin D Stimulates Amyloid Clearance in Alzheimer’s

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)