• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

DEATH WATCH FOR THEFIRSTIMMORTAL

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
243 replies to this topic

Poll: TFI prognosis (73 member(s) have cast votes)

William O'Rights current prognosis is to die at the end of October. Who believes that the first Immortal will beat the dealine and still be alive on Nov. 1st

1. TFI will make it (61 votes [83.56%])

Percentage of vote: 83.56%

2. TFI will not make it (12 votes [16.44%])

Percentage of vote: 16.44%

Vote

#1 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:39 AM

I'm confident TFI supplemental regimen + chemo will help him live more than what his doctors have predicted (November 1st). I also hope he'll eventually beat the disease.

#2 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:02 AM

I'm confident TFI supplemental regimen + chemo will help him live more than what his doctors have predicted (November 1st). I also hope he'll eventually beat the disease.

I'm sorry but this is so offensive to me. DEATH WATCH. No this is life watch not death watch. This is awful. I wish you could remove it. It is negative, and macabre. Please request a navigator to remove this thread.

Edited by missminni, 06 August 2008 - 01:03 AM.

#3 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:12 AM

I find this thread inappropriate for about 2 dozen reasons...

I agree with missminni, this thread should be taken out.

A

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:25 AM

A

Dimitri said TFI requested it and named it. I still don't care. It's awful. I'm sorry. This is just awful. sorry Bill, some things
just aren't funny. This is in bad taste.

#5 Dmitri

• Topic Starter
  • 841 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:29 AM

A

Dimitri said TFI requested it and named it. I still don't care. It's awful. I'm sorry. This is just awful. sorry Bill, some things
just aren't funny. This is in bad taste.

TFI replied to you on the wish list about this subject.

#6 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:58 AM

If TFI requested it...
Maybe he wants an unbiased vote from the members, considering the votes are basically secret.

Maybe the wording needs to change on this topic...

A

#7 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:08 AM

If TFI requested it...
Maybe he wants an unbiased vote from the members, considering the votes are basically secret.

Maybe the wording needs to change on this topic...

A

Most definitely that.
Will TFI beat cancer? would be more appropriate. But he named it.. He picked the name himself.
So I guess one just has to allow the man his choices.

#8 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:08 AM

I was very close to locking this down due to poor taste, but if TheFirstImmortal requested it, I guess I shouldn't have any complaints. I am moving it to off-topic, though.

#9 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:14 AM

I was very close to locking this down due to poor taste, but if TheFirstImmortal requested it, I guess I shouldn't have any complaints. I am moving it to off-topic, though.

I hope he reconsiders. Maybe he wasn't thinking straight. He just had chemo recently.

#10 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:12 AM

this thread is a bit macabre, and distasteful and no-one would say that he would not make it, in their right mind... we want him to make it, there is no other choice. If he wants the thread kept, or instigated it in some way, I'd say leave it for now--I too feel it should be removed though, it sends the wrong message about what ImmInst is about, and already the fact that he is dying is weighing heavily enough upon our hearts--with every post, every prognosis...

I'll move it if enough people want it moved, at least we could move it to Free Speech...

#11 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:42 AM

I also found this poll offensive, but I wanted to wait and make sure that it wasn't just me being anal retentive. ;)

Besides, if the poll was going to be done right, then you should have at least given some odds...3to2, 4to1, 1to2...

Was that the line? Did I cross it?

#12 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:47 AM

I also found this poll offensive, but I wanted to wait and make sure that it wasn't just me being anal retentive. ;)

Besides, if the poll was going to be done right, then you should have at least given some odds...3to2, 4to1, 1to2...

lol

#13 Prometheus

• 592 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:49 AM

moderators asleep?

utterly disgraceful.

#14 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:54 AM

Well, you'd be crossing it if you took bets... Personally, I think that if Bill wants it, he should have it. I also think he'll make it. I think the high dose res may do it. When I first saw the thread, I kinda went OMG, but now I admire Bill for his attitude. I'd like to think I'd do the same thing.

#15 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:56 AM

moderators asleep?

utterly disgraceful.

No, we're all over this thing. Bill HATES censorship.

#16 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:14 AM

Well, you'd be crossing it if you took bets... Personally, I think that if Bill wants it, he should have it. I also think he'll make it. I think the high dose res may do it. When I first saw the thread, I kinda went OMG, but now I admire Bill for his attitude. I'd like to think I'd do the same thing.

You know what? Now that you put it this way, I understand why he did it. It's brave.
It's looking death in the face and saying I ain't scared of you.

#17 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:39 AM

it sends the wrong message about what ImmInst is about

What message do you think it is sending? I think its sending the right message. If everyone here had a thread like this, it would send exactly the message ImmInst is all about. The inevitability of death. We all have a vague idea of when we will die if we don't get a cure. The fact that our demise can be expedited at any time just makes our mission that much more urgent.

I hope TheFirstImmortal will beat his cancer so he can reevaluate that date. Good luck to you and everyone else who is currently suffering from life-threatening illnesses. May you be strong enough to beat the odds.

#18 TianZi

• 519 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:14 PM

I expect the TFI hoped the results of the poll would be life affirming, with people betting on him to make it, which in turn would give him a much-needed boost of confidence and optimism that he can live to see 2009.

#19 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:27 PM

I expect the TFI hoped the results of the poll would be life affirming, with people betting on him to make it, which in turn would give him a much-needed boost of confidence and optimism that he can live to see 2009.

I imagined he didn't care what the results were, he would enjoy telling everyone that voted against him to screw off when he beat the odds. Full of piss and vinegar, that one.

#20 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:50 PM

I imagined he didn't care what the results were, he would enjoy telling everyone that voted against him to screw off when he beat the odds. Full of piss and vinegar, that one.

LOL. That's so true and it's probably going to contribute to him beating the odds.
God Bless him.
I was initially so shocked when I saw this thread, but after what Niner posted last night, I gave it
a little more thought and realized everybody has their own way of coping and who am I to tell anyone,
most of all THEFIRSTIMMORTAL !!, how to deal with coming face to face with their own mortality.
I think humor is as good a way as any. So let's all just have a good laugh about this.

#21 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:23 PM

LOL. That's so true and it's probably going to contribute to him beating the odds.
God Bless him.
I was initially so shocked when I saw this thread, but after what Niner posted last night, I gave it
a little more thought and realized everybody has their own way of coping and who am I to tell anyone,
most of all THEFIRSTIMMORTAL !!, how to deal with coming face to face with their own mortality.
I think humor is as good a way as any. So let's all just have a good laugh about this.

I'll try to have laugh about it, but this thread seems very much against the spirit of Imminst.

#22 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:31 PM

It is bad PR for those who don't read into the thread a bit.

#23 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:43 PM

God Bless him.

I'll try to have laugh about it, but this thread seems very much against the spirit of Imminst.

I'm not sure what the official "spirit of Imminst" is, but this is
about a man facing his own mortality, and as all hopeful immortals know, mortality is still reality,
so maybe seeing how somebody faced with it handles it might teach them something about the very
issue that consumes them.
Buddhists instructions for dealing with death promotes humor and joke telling as
an important aspect and I know from personal experience how true that it is.
Now that might be out of keeping with the Imminst spirit.
I hope not.

#24 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:57 PM

What's wrong with the topic? If TFI chose the name and wanted it to be made, then w-h-a-t i-s t-h-e p-r-o-b-l-e-m ? Not all people are so sensitive, you know.

edit: As for his odds, i really, genuinely think that he will make it past october. I don't know if he will beat the disease but he looks like a tough one to fall.

Edited by sam988, 06 August 2008 - 08:59 PM.

#25 Splicer

• 25 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:03 PM

What's wrong with the topic? If TFI chose the name and wanted it to be made, then w-h-a-t i-s t-h-e p-r-o-b-l-e-m ? Not all people are so sensitive, you know.

I agree. When I saw the topic my initial thought was that it showed a sense of humor. I was glad to see that as I've sometimes felt you guys seem to freak out about death more than most people. 

-Splicer

#26 HereInTheHole

• 105 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 06:20 PM

It is bad PR for those who don't read into the thread a bit.

A superficial glance is the source of many problems. The solution isn't to limit speech just because it has the potential to cause bad PR. With that PR-centric mindset, PR control can become more important than information. That would be the beginning of the end of a site like this.

Being under Society & Philosophy / Other Conversations gives even the superficial a good idea that this isn't a main subject on this site.

#27 JackCole

• 80 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 09:47 PM

I just got a phone call this morning that my God-mother (Ann Barnett) died last night in her sleep. I know this is off topic but I'm heart broken.

She was a 2nd mother to me. She took me in when no one else would when I was a drug addict. I lived with her for 3 years when my father died.

Death is horrible. She was in her 70s and the diabetes caught up to her and she passed away, and her Husband of 47 years found her in the morning (my god father)

I'm just very sad. Death is evil.

#28 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 09:49 PM

So sorry Jack Cole.

Death is something I believe we eventually can overcome, we just need more people to see that it is possible... there is so much loss and sadness right now, and those who die can only live in our memories--someday we should be living in a world where people can live as long as they wish

#29 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 09:58 PM

I just got a phone call this morning that my God-mother (Ann Barnett) died last night in her sleep. I know this is off topic but I'm heart broken.

She was a 2nd mother to me. She took me in when no one else would when I was a drug addict. I lived with her for 3 years when my father died.

Death is horrible. She was in her 70s and the diabetes caught up to her and she passed away, and her Husband of 47 years found her in the morning (my god father)

I'm just very sad. Death is evil.

I'm so sorry for your loss, but death is not evil. Death is a transition. I used to fear death until
my Mom passed. I no longer call it death, I call it passing. I wrote about it here. Maybe it will give you some solace. My heartfelt sympathy is with you. To this day, as beautiful as my mothers passing was, I still cry for her. I miss her so.

#30 elwalvador

• 54 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 12:36 AM

From Wikipedia LINK

Cancer prevention
In 1997 Jang reported that topical resveratrol applications prevented the skin cancer development in mice treated with a carcinogen.[10] There have since been dozens of studies of the anti-cancer activity of resveratrol in animal models[11] but no results of human clinical trials for cancer have been reported.[12] In vitro resveratrol interacts with multiple molecular targets (see Resveratrol#mechanisms of action), and has positive effects on the cells of breast, skin, gastric, colon, esophageal, prostate, and pancreatic cancer, and leukemia.[11] However, the study of pharmacokinetics of resveratrol in humans concluded that even high doses of resveratrol might be insufficient to achieve resveratrol concentrations required for the systemic prevention of cancer.[13] This is consistent with the results from the animal cancer models, which indicate that the in vivo effectiveness of resveratrol is limited by its poor systemic bioavailability.[14][15][12] The strongest evidence of anti-cancer action of resveratrol exists for tumors it can come into direct contact with, such as skin and gastrointestinal tract tumors. For other cancers, the evidence is equivocal, even if massive doses of resveratrol are used.[12]

Thus, topical application of resveratrol in mice, both before and after the UVB exposure, inhibited the skin damage and decreased skin cancer incidence. However, oral resveratrol was ineffective in treating mice inoculated with melanoma cells. Resveratrol given orally also had no effect on leukemia and lung cancer;[12][16] however, injected intraperitoneally, 2.5 or 10 mg/kg of resveratrol slowed the growth of metastatic Lewis lung carcinomas in mice.[12][17] Resveratrol (1 mg/kg orally) reduced the number and size of the esophageal tumors in rats treated with a carcinogen.[18] In several studies, small doses (0.02-8 mg/kg) of resveratrol, given prophylactically, reduced or prevented the development of intestinal and colon tumors in rats given different carcinogens.[12]

Resveratrol treatment appeared to prevent the development of mammary tumors in animal models; however, it had no effect on the growth of existing tumors. Paradoxically, treatment of pre-pubertal mice with high doses of resveratrol enhanced formation of tumors. Injected in high doses into mice, resveratrol slowed the growth of neuroblastomas.[12]

This might sound a bit radical but, given the dire prognosis, I believe TFI should inject the resveratrol intravenously.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users