• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

DEATH WATCH FOR THEFIRSTIMMORTAL

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
243 replies to this topic

Poll: TFI prognosis (73 member(s) have cast votes)

William O'Rights current prognosis is to die at the end of October. Who believes that the first Immortal will beat the dealine and still be alive on Nov. 1st

1. TFI will make it (61 votes [83.56%])

Percentage of vote: 83.56%

2. TFI will not make it (12 votes [16.44%])

Percentage of vote: 16.44%

Vote

#31 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 01:02 AM

From Wikipedia LINK

Cancer prevention
In 1997 Jang reported that topical resveratrol applications prevented the skin cancer development in mice treated with a carcinogen.[10] There have since been dozens of studies of the anti-cancer activity of resveratrol in animal models[11] but no results of human clinical trials for cancer have been reported.[12] In vitro resveratrol interacts with multiple molecular targets (see Resveratrol#mechanisms of action), and has positive effects on the cells of breast, skin, gastric, colon, esophageal, prostate, and pancreatic cancer, and leukemia.[11] However, the study of pharmacokinetics of resveratrol in humans concluded that even high doses of resveratrol might be insufficient to achieve resveratrol concentrations required for the systemic prevention of cancer.[13] This is consistent with the results from the animal cancer models, which indicate that the in vivo effectiveness of resveratrol is limited by its poor systemic bioavailability.[14][15][12] The strongest evidence of anti-cancer action of resveratrol exists for tumors it can come into direct contact with, such as skin and gastrointestinal tract tumors. For other cancers, the evidence is equivocal, even if massive doses of resveratrol are used.[12]

Thus, topical application of resveratrol in mice, both before and after the UVB exposure, inhibited the skin damage and decreased skin cancer incidence. However, oral resveratrol was ineffective in treating mice inoculated with melanoma cells. Resveratrol given orally also had no effect on leukemia and lung cancer;[12][16] however, injected intraperitoneally, 2.5 or 10 mg/kg of resveratrol slowed the growth of metastatic Lewis lung carcinomas in mice.[12][17] Resveratrol (1 mg/kg orally) reduced the number and size of the esophageal tumors in rats treated with a carcinogen.[18] In several studies, small doses (0.02-8 mg/kg) of resveratrol, given prophylactically, reduced or prevented the development of intestinal and colon tumors in rats given different carcinogens.[12]

Resveratrol treatment appeared to prevent the development of mammary tumors in animal models; however, it had no effect on the growth of existing tumors. Paradoxically, treatment of pre-pubertal mice with high doses of resveratrol enhanced formation of tumors. Injected in high doses into mice, resveratrol slowed the growth of neuroblastomas.[12]

This might sound a bit radical but, given the dire prognosis, I believe TFI should inject the resveratrol intravenously.

I don't think that's an option. However, please note that it was taken orally by my dog and my
friend's dog, both who were diagnosed with terminal cancer with a prognosis of 6 months, and in both cases they are not only alive, but thriving.
In my friends dogs case, she had a huge tumor in her groin. HUGE. They didn't want to touch it surgically. They wanted to do chemo, but instead my friend used resveratrol. A tablespoon a day in the dogs food. A 60 lb golden. Within a couple of months the tumor was gone. No trace of it. I think that shows great promise for TFI taking it orally.

From Wikipedia LINK

Cancer prevention
In 1997 Jang reported that topical resveratrol applications prevented the skin cancer development in mice treated with a carcinogen.[10] There have since been dozens of studies of the anti-cancer activity of resveratrol in animal models[11] but no results of human clinical trials for cancer have been reported.[12] In vitro resveratrol interacts with multiple molecular targets (see Resveratrol#mechanisms of action), and has positive effects on the cells of breast, skin, gastric, colon, esophageal, prostate, and pancreatic cancer, and leukemia.[11] However, the study of pharmacokinetics of resveratrol in humans concluded that even high doses of resveratrol might be insufficient to achieve resveratrol concentrations required for the systemic prevention of cancer.[13] This is consistent with the results from the animal cancer models, which indicate that the in vivo effectiveness of resveratrol is limited by its poor systemic bioavailability.[14][15][12] The strongest evidence of anti-cancer action of resveratrol exists for tumors it can come into direct contact with, such as skin and gastrointestinal tract tumors. For other cancers, the evidence is equivocal, even if massive doses of resveratrol are used.[12]

Thus, topical application of resveratrol in mice, both before and after the UVB exposure, inhibited the skin damage and decreased skin cancer incidence. However, oral resveratrol was ineffective in treating mice inoculated with melanoma cells. Resveratrol given orally also had no effect on leukemia and lung cancer;[12][16] however, injected intraperitoneally, 2.5 or 10 mg/kg of resveratrol slowed the growth of metastatic Lewis lung carcinomas in mice.[12][17] Resveratrol (1 mg/kg orally) reduced the number and size of the esophageal tumors in rats treated with a carcinogen.[18] In several studies, small doses (0.02-8 mg/kg) of resveratrol, given prophylactically, reduced or prevented the development of intestinal and colon tumors in rats given different carcinogens.[12]

Resveratrol treatment appeared to prevent the development of mammary tumors in animal models; however, it had no effect on the growth of existing tumors. Paradoxically, treatment of pre-pubertal mice with high doses of resveratrol enhanced formation of tumors. Injected in high doses into mice, resveratrol slowed the growth of neuroblastomas.[12]

This might sound a bit radical but, given the dire prognosis, I believe TFI should inject the resveratrol intravenously.

I don't think that's an option. However, please note that it was taken orally by my dog and my
friend's dog, both who were diagnosed with terminal cancer with a prognosis of 6 months, and in both cases they are not only alive, but thriving.
In my friends dogs case, she had a huge tumor in her groin. HUGE. They didn't want to touch it surgically. They wanted to do chemo, but instead my friend used resveratrol. A tablespoon a day in the dogs food. A 60 lb golden. Within a couple of months the tumor was gone. No trace of it. I think that shows great promise for TFI taking it orally.

#32 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 01:10 AM

I think its sending the right message. If everyone here had a thread like this, it would send exactly the message ImmInst is all about.

Yeah. Imagine your outrage if you pulled up ImmInst and someone had started a death watch thread about you. We can so easily read this and think "Oh, that's just TFI's thread; I wonder if will he make it?"

The fact is all of us could legitimately have one of these. I don't know how it would change our lives but I suspect it might serve as an incentive to live a bit differently. Maybe not take every day for granted as much.

#33 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 01:56 AM

its just macabre in my opinion...and not quite a positive message... I think about my own death, about every day at least once sometimes more, I would not need a death watch :)

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 03:38 AM

Imagine your outrage if you pulled up ImmInst and someone had started a death watch thread about you.

Yea, I can imagine that, and there would be no outrage coming from me. I would be grateful if someone feels compelled to point out my mortality in such a clear way. In fact that's just what I think one of the missions of ImmInst is. To point out that aging and death is currently inevitable, and that's what we want to change. This whole forum is one big negative message. It is saying loudly and clearly: "This state of affairs is unacceptable". At least that was what attracted me here in the first place. Seeing people outraged with aging and death. That's what changes all the negative sentiments into positive ones. Hey, lets point out all the bad things... and then lets do something about them. If we cant even face the negatives, how can we ever contribute anything positive to get rid of them?

Lets talk about our own mortality for christ sake. At least it seems to bring out some passion in people. All this talk about censoring just shows a complete lack of guts IMHO.

#35 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 03:40 AM

its just macabre in my opinion...and not quite a positive message... I think about my own death, about every day at least once sometimes more, I would not need a death watch :)

I think for Bill it's a way to say I am not afraid, and I am not going to die.
It's an affirmation of his faith in beating the prognosis. It's funny how it's brought out everyone's own
hangups about death...but it is Bill who is faced with it and he is handling it like a champ. I too was
horrified when I first saw it, but there were a few comments that were made that forced me to
re-think why and I totally changed my opinion.
This post of Bills says it all:

Now Laz, what makes you think these are unhappy circumstances? Aren’t we all Life Extensionists/Immortalists here on an infinite journey?

Some people like skydiving, river rafting, climbing mountains and racing, brings a little risk, a little sense of adventure, into their lives. However, with cancer, the stakes are a bit higher. If you fall off the raft, life goes on. But if your tumor keeps growing and spreading, life does not go on. Do or die. You know Laz this is definitely going to be an adventure. If you think skydiving, auto racing, rafting, and mountain climbing is thrilling, you haven’t tried curing yourself of the ‘‘incurable’’.

If you want real danger, real risk, forget about climbing mountains, jumping from planes, rafting the few remaining wild rivers, and start changing the chemistry of your blood in the laboratory of your kitchen. This involves a thrill that can bring terror to the stoutest of hearts. No parachutes, no ropes, no exotic, expensive paraphernalia, no “experts” to guide you. Yeah, just me and my friends here taking a journey into the center of my cells, down the infinite river of my blood stream.

These don’t have to be unhappy circumstances Laz, I know I’m certainly not miserable. I’m having the adventure of a lifetime. I can’t imagine anything will ever be as exciting as the journey I am currently on.

Your Eternal Friend
William O’Rights
The First Immortal

Edited by missminni, 09 August 2008 - 04:19 AM.

#36 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 03:48 AM

I would not need a death watch

Perhaps you don't, but the rest of the world damn sure seems to need one. Most people don't realize they are going to die until life is already on the down-slope. In fact telling people "Hey, you know.. everybody is going to die.. including you" will most likely make them laugh in that strange "yea, and we cant do anything about it, so that's fine" or "yea, but its not tomorrow or next year so who cares" kind of way. Imagine if everybody had a clock on them that showed approximately when they where going to die, and also showing when everybody else around them would die. Im pretty sure that would make an impression if that clock adjusted to medical breakthroughs. The problem is, nobody really wants to think about that stuff. That's probably why so many here, even in such an anti-death forum, thinks this thread is macabre while it to others seems like a manifestation of truth and hope.

Imagine if every person making a huge difference in the world had a death clock. It would show when their efforts would end, and when the world would suffer a great loss, in advance. Giving the world an opportunity to actually do something about it, instead of just realizing they have died after the fact.

Edited by lightowl, 09 August 2008 - 03:59 AM.

#37 Neurosail

• Life Member, F@H
  • 311 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 August 2008 - 04:39 AM

A stand-by team in cryonics is like a "death watch". I don't think about my death as much as I think about what will the future be like and how I want to live in that future. I watch a science fiction movie and think, no they got that wrong, or that they may be right. But I sometimes worry about the money and what if they put me in a nursing home and I can't pay the membership dues. I'm also thinking about how to make my insurance stronger (I have three accounts). What if a insurance company goes out of business? How can I save so I can pre-pay my cryonics? I hope everyone here is also thinking about their situation. Transhumanist can't called themselves "immortal" if they are not signed up for cryonics. You can never know when an accident can happen. Today I was just watching T.V. when a blade from the ceiling fan came off and just missed my head. It hit the wall and left a large dent. What if it fell just a little bit lower and hit me on the couch? (I'm also glad it didn't hit my T.V. or the PS3 :) )

I hope that everyone here is helping to fund The First Immortal's cryonics suspension, just in case the "grape juice" doesn't work. I read that they now have $8,000. That is not enough. If everyone showed their support by donating and he lives then it is a win-win. But if he dies and they can't get the funds then everyone here loses. That would not be a good way to start a convention (Nov. 15th.) about live extension if everyone lets him die a permanent death.

Edited by Jimmy, 09 August 2008 - 04:41 AM.

#38 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 05:11 AM

Jimmy you can get end-of-life care insurance that will cover in-home nurses and even nursing facilities. I do hope all will continue to contribute for TFM... and also standby is not a poll for wether or not someone will live, in those cases the person is supposed to be deanimating within the day or so...

#39 elwalvador

• 54 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 06:25 PM

Instead of orally consuming 10-12grams per day, which will quickly exhaust his supply, he could inject a far lower amount and achieve the same plasma concentration. If his doctor will not provide the needles and syringes, he could get them from needle exchange programs, used by major cities to prevent the spread of HIV amongst IV drug users. Also, they can be bought on the internet from websites that sell anabolic steroids. My freind bought some, 21 gage needles and syringes from this website http://www.eurobolic...;products_id=99. It took about 3 weeks for needles to arrive. I know that many people are afraid of using needles, seeing their own blood, and some think that only a doctor should be doing this kind of procedure; unfortunately, most doctors are not as up to date on the newest research, or they are, but dismiss the therapy because it has only been proven in animals. If TFI can find a good Doc then great, if not he just has to do some homework on the proper way to disinfect the skin, locate a vien, and then aspirate if necessery. I know this may sound crazy but maybe it's just crazy enough to work?

#40 elwalvador

• 54 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 06:34 PM

Link to this article

Review
Metabolism and bioavailability of trans-resveratrol
Elisabeth Wenzel *, Veronika Somoza
German Research Center of Food Chemistry, Garching, Germany. Fax: +49-(0)-89-13248

email: Elisabeth Wenzel (elisabeth.wenzel@lrz.tum.de)

*Correspondence to Elisabeth Wenzel, German Research Center of Food Chemistry, Garching, Germany. Fax: +49-(0)-89-13248

Keywords
Bioavailability • Metabolism • Resveratrol • Review

Abstract
Resveratrol (3,4,5-trihydroxy-trans-stilbene) is a polyphenolic compound accounting to the stilbene class. Most stilbenes in plants act as antifungal phytoalexins, compounds that are usually synthesized only in response to infection or injury. Resveratrol has been detected in trees, in a few flowering plants, in peanuts, and in grapevines. The major dietary sources of resveratrol include grapes, wine, peanuts, and peanut products. Numerous in vitro studies describe different biological effects of resveratrol. The major impacts are the antioxidative, anti-inflammatory, and estrogenic effects as well as anticancer and chemopreventive activities. In order to reveal information on absorption, metabolism, and the consequent bioavailability of resveratrol, different research approaches were performed, including in vitro, ex vivo, and in vivo models, all of which are considered in this review. Summarizing the data, resveratrol is absorbed and metabolized. Around 75% of this polyphenol are excreted via feces and urine. The oral bioavailability of resveratrol is almost zero due to rapid and extensive metabolism and the consequent formation of various metabolites as resveratrol glucuronides and resveratrol sulfates. The potential biologic activity of resveratrol conjugates should be considered in future investigations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Received: 20 January 2005; Revised: 4 February 2005

The oral bioavailability of resveratrol is almost zero due to rapid and extensive metabolism and the consequent formation of various metabolites as resveratrol glucuronides and resveratrol sulfates.

#41 JackCole

• 80 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 06:55 PM

If you're saying the oralbio. is zero -- are you implying that everyone who is taking resveratrol are wasting their money? (Those who take it orally, of course)

Also, yes, needles are easy to come by. Esp. if you are in a 'liberal' city/state. When I was in Eugene, Oregon and was in the hayday of my heroin habit I could just go to the local drugstore and ask for needles, and they'd sell them.

If you do use a needle, it's important you use a fresh one each time, always apply pressure after injecting, and try to rotate injection sites. Yet, in this dire situation --

See, I watched that Charlie Rose special about Resveratrol -- where the one guy admits he takes it, and then the other said he would be willing to take it -- but he's afraid to buy it off the internet because of "What is in it" --

It'd be easy to take the caps, dilute them in a spoon, use cotton as a filter -- perhaps heat it a little to draw up the impurities -- and then inject it.

How about "plugging it" (As in, put it in your butt) I'm not joking either.

#42 JackCole

• 80 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:05 PM

The most efficient way of administering resveratrol in humans appears to be buccal delivery, that is without swallowing, by direct absorption through the inside of the mouth. When 1 mg of resveratrol in 50 mL solution was retained in the mouth for 1 min before swallowing, 37 ng/ml of free resveratrol were measured in plasma 2 minutes later. This level of unchanged resveratrol in blood can only be achieved with 250 mg of resveratrol taken in a pill form.[21]

About 70% of the resveratrol dose given orally as a pill is absorbed; nevertheless, oral bioavailability of resveratrol is low because it is rapidly metabolized in intestines and liver into conjugated forms: glucuronate and sulfonate.[22]
(This is all from Wiki)

I take Suboxone, ( a partial opiate antagonist) that you 'dissolves' under your tongue. So which is what and why is how?

#43 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:29 PM

Instead of orally consuming 10-12grams per day, which will quickly exhaust his supply, he could inject a far lower amount and achieve the same plasma concentration. If his doctor will not provide the needles and syringes, he could get them from needle exchange programs, used by major cities to prevent the spread of HIV amongst IV drug users. Also, they can be bought on the internet from websites that sell anabolic steroids. My freind bought some, 21 gage needles and syringes from this website http://www.eurobolic...;products_id=99. It took about 3 weeks for needles to arrive. I know that many people are afraid of using needles, seeing their own blood, and some think that only a doctor should be doing this kind of procedure; unfortunately, most doctors are not as up to date on the newest research, or they are, but dismiss the therapy because it has only been proven in animals. If TFI can find a good Doc then great, if not he just has to do some homework on the proper way to disinfect the skin, locate a vien, and then aspirate if necessery. I know this may sound crazy but maybe it's just crazy enough to work?

I know you mean will, but I don't think this is a good idea. First of all, all experiments done with animals used the method of resveratrol in the food, just as I did with Minni. They did not inject it intravenously and there is nothing to prove that it would be more effective that way. As for using less that wy, we are not worried about him using up his supply as there is absolutely no problem getting him more.

#44 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:32 PM

Link to this article

Review
Metabolism and bioavailability of trans-resveratrol
Elisabeth Wenzel *, Veronika Somoza
German Research Center of Food Chemistry, Garching, Germany. Fax: +49-(0)-89-13248

email: Elisabeth Wenzel (elisabeth.wenzel@lrz.tum.de)

*Correspondence to Elisabeth Wenzel, German Research Center of Food Chemistry, Garching, Germany. Fax: +49-(0)-89-13248

Keywords
Bioavailability • Metabolism • Resveratrol • Review

Abstract
Resveratrol (3,4,5-trihydroxy-trans-stilbene) is a polyphenolic compound accounting to the stilbene class. Most stilbenes in plants act as antifungal phytoalexins, compounds that are usually synthesized only in response to infection or injury. Resveratrol has been detected in trees, in a few flowering plants, in peanuts, and in grapevines. The major dietary sources of resveratrol include grapes, wine, peanuts, and peanut products. Numerous in vitro studies describe different biological effects of resveratrol. The major impacts are the antioxidative, anti-inflammatory, and estrogenic effects as well as anticancer and chemopreventive activities. In order to reveal information on absorption, metabolism, and the consequent bioavailability of resveratrol, different research approaches were performed, including in vitro, ex vivo, and in vivo models, all of which are considered in this review. Summarizing the data, resveratrol is absorbed and metabolized. Around 75% of this polyphenol are excreted via feces and urine. The oral bioavailability of resveratrol is almost zero due to rapid and extensive metabolism and the consequent formation of various metabolites as resveratrol glucuronides and resveratrol sulfates. The potential biologic activity of resveratrol conjugates should be considered in future investigations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Received: 20 January 2005; Revised: 4 February 2005

The oral bioavailability of resveratrol is almost zero due to rapid and extensive metabolism and the consequent formation of various metabolites as resveratrol glucuronides and resveratrol sulfates.

Read my lips. It cured my dog of terminal cancer with oral administration. It shrunk my friends dogs tumor to nothing, zip, nada with oral administration. We are talking real life, not test tubes.

#45 elwalvador

• 54 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:03 PM

Jack, much better idea with the buccal adminstration. That would be a lot easir than shooting up or "plugging".

MissMini, I was worried that he didn't have enough supplies and might run out. I'm glad that's not the case. Resveratrol is a life saver.

#46 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:16 AM

Jack, much better idea with the buccal adminstration. That would be a lot easir than shooting up or "plugging".

MissMini, I was worried that he didn't have enough supplies and might run out. I'm glad that's not the case. Resveratrol is a life saver.

I knew you were worried about supply. Also, there might be ways it interacts
effectively by going through the GI tract that wouldn't happen intravenously.

#47 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:32 AM

The most efficient way of administering resveratrol in humans appears to be buccal delivery, that is without swallowing, by direct absorption through the inside of the mouth. When 1 mg of resveratrol in 50 mL solution was retained in the mouth for 1 min before swallowing, 37 ng/ml of free resveratrol were measured in plasma 2 minutes later. This level of unchanged resveratrol in blood can only be achieved with 250 mg of resveratrol taken in a pill form.[21]

Would it perhaps be a good idea to mix resveratrol with chewing gum and chew throughout the day to get an ongoing stream of res throughtout the day? Sure keep taking the powder/caps but use this aswell.

Note: Dogs are not humans and success with them cannot automatically be translated to humans due to the issue with absorbtion and retention. ANYTHING that might get around this potential problem should be addressed. I would be taking the same 15grams plus chewing gum res plus maybe also direct inject. NO second chances here guys!!!!

I would also write to sirtis and see if they could provide some SRT501 on compasionate grounds. Nothing to lose!

#48 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 02:11 AM

Would it perhaps be a good idea to mix resveratrol with chewing gum and chew throughout the day to get an ongoing stream of res throughtout the day? Sure keep taking the powder/caps but use this aswell.

Note: Dogs are not humans and success with them cannot automatically be translated to humans due to the issue with absorbtion and retention. ANYTHING that might get around this potential problem should be addressed. I would be taking the same 15grams plus chewing gum res plus maybe also direct inject. NO second chances here guys!!!!

I would also write to sirtis and see if they could provide some SRT501 on compasionate grounds. Nothing to lose!

wow. if that's the case, I would just put a fair amount of it in a bit of milk or cream and hold it in my mouth as long as possible and do that throughout the day. In fact, I am going to do that. Do you have a link to that study?

#49 Mixter

• 788 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:46 AM

IV resveratrol may be an option, but not out of the box, as the stuff
is NOT sterile. Boiling the stuff on a spoon like street drugs would
defy the purpose, and it's destroyed by autoclaving as well.

Resveratrol as cancer adjuvant is not crackpot, so I would consult
my oncologist in the situation and hope that he's progressive enough
to consider administration... but do it yourself injecting is a bad idea.

I would go for sublingual (under the tongue) administration, though.
Resveratrol powder is not too harsh for that, this will mitigate first-pass
effects, and may be an option during chemo when too sick to swallow.

#50 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:14 PM

Who the F voted no? Come on, that's just stupid. Have you been even following this situation?

#51 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 05:32 PM

the title is kinda bad, pessimistic, not that conducive to patient healing from terminal stage cancer. i guess depends on the person, if a guy like TFI can get motivated and mad and beat this thing like a race for life, sprint for existence, i'm okay with it.

Voted Yes, heck yeah! TFI should be able to outlast death.

What doctor gave the deadline as Nov 1st? How good is the doctor's estimate, what did he/she base it on? come on, this may be bad for some patients' morale, it's not like estimate when an infant's due by

#52 Loot Perish

• 95 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:43 PM

100 Quatloos on the newcomer!

#53 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:06 AM

I'm not about to do this, may be different if I had a terminal prognosis for something other than ageing. Just curious.

Is there a chemical steriliser that could be used instead of heat?

#54 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:00 AM

I'm not about to do this, may be different if I had a terminal prognosis for something other than ageing. Just curious.

Is there a chemical steriliser that could be used instead of heat?

The resveratrol from my Chinese supplier is sterilized by 10 seconds in a commercial microwave made for theis purpose.

#55 John_Ventureville

• 279 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:51 AM

Jimmy wrote:
I hope that everyone here is helping to fund The First Immortal's cryonics suspension, just in case the "grape juice" doesn't work. I read that they now have $8,000. That is not enough. If everyone showed their support by donating and he lives then it is a win-win. But if he dies and they can't get the funds then everyone here loses. That would not be a good way to start a convention (Nov. 15th.) about live extension if everyone lets him die a permanent death.
>>>

How do I donate? This sort of fundraising was successfully done for James Swayze and so I believe it can be repeated. But I must ask, why has he not already signed up with a life insurance company and a cryonics provider??? I thought he had been a hardcore immortalist for many years...

Best wishes,

John Grigg

#56 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:14 AM

I didnt expect so much opposition to this topic. Theres no need to treat the subject of death with kids gloves, especially around here. It only fosters non action and works to avoid the subject. Where as meeting it head on fosters a desire for change and action.

When I read the topic I thought the intention was to provide more optimism for TFI. Optimism is a pill equal to the likes of resveratrol.

The people around here, if anywhere, are experts on supplements and stuff. I think TFI will beat it comepletely. Why wouldnt he? It happens all the time the way it is.

#57 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:55 AM

The people around here, if anywhere, are experts on supplements and stuff. I think TFI will beat it comepletely. Why wouldnt he? It happens all the time the way it is.

i think exactly the same way. i'm not trying to be just encouraging because of compassion or empathy (which i don't have plenty of, as anyone who has been following my posts in imminst will realize), i really believe that TFI has a great chance of beating the cancer.

Edited by sam988, 15 August 2008 - 01:56 AM.

#58 Neurosail

• Life Member, F@H
  • 311 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 August 2008 - 04:43 PM

Jimmy wrote:
>>>

How do I donate? This sort of fundraising was successfully done for James Swayze and so I believe it can be repeated. But I must ask, why has he not already signed up with a life insurance company and a cryonics provider??? I thought he had been a hardcore immortalist for many years...

Best wishes,

John Grigg

Like everyone else I hope that he beats this cancer. But it wise to have a back-up plan and even after he wins this battle, the fact remains that insurance companies may not write a new policy for someone who had cancer. So he will still need the money for cryonics. Here is David Pizer's letter for donations.

NOTICE OF URGENT SITUATION

I am writing you to ask for your help for a member of the cryonics community, William O'Rights. William has been involved in the cryonics movement for almost 20 years and has written extensively about cryonics subjects which you can find on the website of The Immortality Institute.

William has been diagnosed with extensive small cell lung cancer that has now spread to his left leg bone and right arm, his spine and lymph nodes. His doctor says he is currently undergoing chemotherapy and radiation treatment but small cell lung cancer carries a mean prognosis of approximately 6 to 8 months life expectancy.

Some of the things William has helped the cryonics movement with are efforts to stop the Arizona legislation against Alcor several years ago.

William was not able to get his suspension funded at CI before he came down with this terrible illness and now with time running out, he needs our help if he is to get a cryonics suspension.

The Society for Venturism is a 501c3 approved nonprofit organization that has helped raise money for cryoncists in the past for their suspension costs. We are now starting a fund raising campaign to raise money to pay for William's suspension. The amount of money needed will be $28,000 to pay CI's costs and $2,000 for mortician and transport fees, for a total of $30,000.

I am hoping you will want to help and you will send us a tax deductible check to help with this project. If you want to help please make your check out to "The Society for Venturism" and mail it to us at 11255 State Route 69, Mayer Arizona, 86333. I will deposit all contributions in the Venturist account to be used to pay expenses when the suspension takes place. If the suspension does not get done for any reason, all contributions will be returned. I will keep the community up to date on how the campaign is going along the way.

William is a Libertarian. If he is revived from suspension in the future here is what he hopes for:
"My hope for the future is that somewhere in our universe there will exists a civilization whose inhabitants will possess sole dominion over their own lives, where every individual will have the ability to recognize and the courage to acknowledge reality, and where governments as we know them do not exist."

This is your chance to do something meaningful in the cryonics community, to help one of our own who is in trouble.

Best regards to all,

David Pizer, President,
The Society for Venturism

I hope that everyone can help. Thanks!!!

#59 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:09 PM

I want to let everyone know that The First Immortal, aka William O'Rights, has not and will not be reading the
Deathwatch Thread until Nov. 1. He asked me to announce that.
Therefore if there is anything you would like to communicate to him, please either PM him
or post on the The First Immrortal lifetime member or the wish list

#60 JediMasterLucia

• 708 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:26 PM

I won't vote in this poll.
I hope TFI could beat this terrible disease and I wish for him all the best and strength to do this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users