LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Modafinil daily dose

modafinil

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

Poll: Modafinil daily dose (255 member(s) have cast votes)

Your Modafinil dose

1. 25mg-50mg daily (lasting an entire day, above 10 hours) (41 votes [14.96%])

Percentage of vote: 14.96%

2. 100mg daily (57 votes [20.80%])

Percentage of vote: 20.80%

3. 200mg daily (50 votes [18.25%])

Percentage of vote: 18.25%

4. 300mg daily (8 votes [2.92%])

Percentage of vote: 2.92%

5. 400mg daily (11 votes [4.01%])

Percentage of vote: 4.01%

6. 500mg and above, daily (6 votes [2.19%])

Percentage of vote: 2.19%

7. 25mg-50mg as needed (lasting 4-8 hours) (16 votes [5.84%])

Percentage of vote: 5.84%

8. 100mg as needed (36 votes [13.14%])

Percentage of vote: 13.14%

9. 200mg as needed (31 votes [11.31%])

Percentage of vote: 11.31%

10. 300mg as needed (4 votes [1.46%])

Percentage of vote: 1.46%

11. 400mg as needed (5 votes [1.82%])

Percentage of vote: 1.82%

12. 500mg and above, as needed (9 votes [3.28%])

Percentage of vote: 3.28%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 steelsky

• 412 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:23 PM

Apologies for posting this pole again. I didn't post it correctly the last time (administrators - you can delete the last poll of the same title).

The answers are divided to two - daily doses (for whom a single dose is enough for the entire day) and "as needed" doses (for whom one dose doesn't last above 8 hours, but that do not necessarily double dose each day).
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#2 steelsky

• Topic Starter
  • 412 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:04 AM

Apologies for posting this pole again. I didn't post it correctly the last time (administrators - you can delete the last poll of the same title).

The answers are divided to two - daily doses (for whom a single dose is enough for the entire day) and "as needed" doses (for whom one dose doesn't last above 8 hours, but that do not necessarily double dose each day).

Not much interest, I see :(
Or not many Modafinil users?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 gn1tmac

• 30 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 02:37 PM

I take 600mg daily for ADHD. takes a few months once you start but its a superior to amphetamine salts and methylphenidate

#4 steelsky

• Topic Starter
  • 412 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:17 AM

I take 600mg daily for ADHD. takes a few months once you start but its a superior to amphetamine salts and methylphenidate

I agree that it is superior. Although I'm not a biochemist, from what I've read there's no question about that.
600mg is pretty high - How much does it cost you? How do you purchase it (online order, hospital pharmacy...)?

#5 Jacovis

• 247 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:42 AM

I agree that it is superior. Although I'm not a biochemist, from what I've read there's no question about that.
600mg is pretty high - How much does it cost you? How do you purchase it (online order, hospital pharmacy...)?

Maybe Modafinil is superior in terms of potential 'safety' concerns (though it hasn't been around that long so long term safety isn't well known from my understanding) - but is it really superior in terms of effects on ADHD symptoms? I have heard otherwise from many people (ie. Modafinil doesn't improve concentration as much as the neurostimulant ADHD drugs).

Also taking a dosage of 600 mg daily of Modafinil for several months wouldn't lead to some kind of tolerance to its effects? What is the benefit of taking it for several months over and above taking it for a week - what extra benefits/effects are you gn1tmac noticing after several months of use from it that you didn't get say after a week at 600 mg/day?

#6 steelsky

• Topic Starter
  • 412 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:56 AM

Maybe Modafinil is superior in terms of potential 'safety' concerns (though it hasn't been around that long so long term safety isn't well known from my understanding) - but is it really superior in terms of effects on ADHD symptoms? I have heard otherwise from many people (ie. Modafinil doesn't improve concentration as much as the neurostimulant ADHD drugs).

Also taking a dosage of 600 mg daily of Modafinil for several months wouldn't lead to some kind of tolerance to its effects? What is the benefit of taking it for several months over and above taking it for a week - what extra benefits/effects are you gn1tmac noticing after several months of use from it that you didn't get say after a week at 600 mg/day?

I personally, when stating "superior", was referring to the nootropic effect, and to less side effects. I wouldn't know about safety, but I bet Modafinil is just as safe for most people.

Indeed, building tolerance is a concern (although I don't take 600mg, or even above 200mg because I simply cannot afford it). However, I've read many personal claims that the opposite is more true - taking Mod regularly diminishes the required dosage.

BTW, 600mg seems excessive to me for any individual. Hard to believe the the span of effective dosage ranges from 50mg-600mg in different people. I'm pretty sure no one needs above 400mg... at least not in a single dose.

#7 Jacovis

• 247 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:30 PM

Indeed, building tolerance is a concern (although I don't take 600mg, or even above 200mg because I simply cannot afford it). However, I've read many personal claims that the opposite is more true - taking Mod regularly diminishes the required dosage.

I wonder how effective Memantine would be for preventing any 'tolerance' to Modafinil's effects over time?

#8 NickCage

• 40 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:18 PM

2 of my friends couldn't handle the mental effects of 400mg Mod for a couple of weeks said 'It was fucking them up' , but whats your opinion?

#9 wkdnlazy

• 26 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:20 PM

2 of my friends couldn't handle the mental effects of 400mg Mod for a couple of weeks said 'It was fucking them up' , but whats your opinion?

Lmao, 100mg modafinil (half tab modalert 200) every 3-4hrs keeps a big guy like myself (6'1, 200lbs) awake and and in top form through a typical 15hr night shift, but I must admit I do feel pretty fucked up come 8am but that's how much it takes to keep up until that time.

#10 NickCage

• 40 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:38 AM

Lmao, 100mg modafinil (half tab modalert 200) every 3-4hrs keeps a big guy like myself (6'1, 200lbs) awake and and in top form through a typical 15hr night shift, but I must admit I do feel pretty fucked up come 8am but that's how much it takes to keep up until that time.

One friend said he felt he was getting depressed/suicidal whilst the other said he felt he was going psychotic. Friend number one said he felt something was missing and felt empty inside, and had turned into a robot with no emotion. Friend number two said he was developing split personalities, where he would be constantly talking to himself, and said the longer I take modafinil the more I feel like I'm losing myself. All quite odd, any else experience this?
  • like x 1

#11 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:46 AM

I took 50 mg and my arm tore itself off my torso and repeatedly punched me in the face!!!!

No, but seriously, 100mg is plenty for me, but quite mild in terms of sides, especially compared to the adderall I used to take regularly.
  • like x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#12 dave_black

• 31 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:05 AM

I think some people are over doing it with modafinil but i can only judge from my experience. My
dose is 100mg as needed and that is usually once in a 24hr period. The effects take about 3 hours to peak for me
which i thought was rather slow.
I dont use it daily as it can make my eyes sore and cause headaches at times, as for undesirable psychological symptoms go, mild anxiety
can happen rarely.

Edited by dave_black, 08 February 2009 - 02:44 AM.

#13 visual_thinker

• 2 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:26 PM

I think some people are over doing it with modafinil but i can only judge from my experience. My
dose is 100mg as needed and that is usually once in a 24hr period. The effects take about 3 hours to peak for me

My experience is that a very low dose is best. I have tried from 20mg up to 200mg, and 20-25mg appears to be ideal. The nootropic effects are very pronounced for me at low doses. I have a markedly greater ability to concentrate, I retain more of what I read, and accomplish an amazing amount of work. I feel as if I gain 20-40 IQ points, (though I haven't taken any online tests to objectively measure this). These effects disappear by the time I get to a 50mg dose. Wonderful news, given the cost of the drug. :c)

I get the 20-25mg by cutting a 100mg pill into pieces (they're tiny, so this isn't easy). I'm using the "Alertec" brand from a European supplier. I originally tried this to reduce the feeling of aching eyeballs, and was pleasantly surprised by the overall effects.

I have also found that it works very well in combination with melatonin. Melatonin the night before followed by modafinil in the morning leaves me wide awake, but well-rested. Another melatonin that night allows me to get a good night's sleep and continue the cycle. I have only tried this for 3 nights in a row, but I haven't felt any "crash" from doing this. The only down side is that the melatonin leaves me feeling extra dopey first thing in the morning. I'll address that with a lower dose (taking 3mg now, going to try 1mg as soon as the new tablets arrive). Even with that very mild side-effect, it is well worth it. I don't do it every day simply because I'm cautious about long-term effects.

One other point - unlike your experience, I find that the effect becomes noticable after about 30 minutes, and peaks within an hour. The improve concentration lasts for between 14 and 18 hours. All on 25mg. Truly a wonder drug.

#14 gn1tmac

• 30 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:57 PM

I am prescribed 600mg per day and my insurance pays for 62 200mg tabs every 24 days so i either cash pay for the other 10 or Mr doctor gives me samples when i see him. its $10 per 200mg provigil tab in the U.S. I hear nuvigil will be cheaper when it launches.... can't wait for that

#15 dave_black

• 31 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:48 AM

I have also found that it works very well in combination with melatonin. Melatonin the night before followed by modafinil in the morning leaves me wide awake, but well-rested. Another melatonin that night allows me to get a good night's sleep and continue the cycle. I have only tried this for 3 nights in a row, but I haven't felt any "crash" from doing this. The only down side is that the melatonin leaves me feeling extra dopey first thing in the morning. I'll address that with a lower dose (taking 3mg now, going to try 1mg as soon as the new tablets arrive). Even with that very mild side-effect, it is well worth it. I don't do it every day simply because I'm cautious about long-term effects.

I have been taking melatonin (1.5mg) for a few months now and i find getting to sleep much easier, i have not experienced any residual drowsiness at all, infact i find it easier to get up now.

#16 sjaakie

• 9 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:51 PM

Please be careful with Modafinal, it can have very serious side effects.

FDA warning: http://www.fda.gov/c...g.htm#modafinil

#17 Phreak

• 116 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:18 AM

100mg is good, but 200mg split over the day can be better. I cycle between 100mg in the morning; 100mg early afternoon, to a single 100mg dose around midday. When tolerance builds up then 200mg feels more like 150mg - which is manageable - but I find 200mg at once waaayy to jittery (and I'm prescribed the proper Cephalon stuff so it's not fake pills). On a side note, I have actually tried the Modalert branc, Alertec and Provigil from the 'net, and then Provigil and generic Modafinil from my doctor. Despite what people say, I have really noticed no difference, except for perhaps that 200mg Cephalon Provigil is less anxiogenic than 200mg Modalert...

Anyway, my point is that I do really love Modafinil as a lifestyle drug, as it seems to be synergesic with almost anything, have a relatively low safety-profile, and - if you know what you're doing and supplement with other...supplements then you'll get the most out of it.

As for the people who take 400mg or 600mg a day: how?? and why?? D'you get any heavy side effects or is that just your effective dose range..?
  • Agree x 1

#18 bollybib

• 4 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:15 PM

I don't understand how people can afford Provigil to just pop down once in a while. It's around $11 a pill! And being a USA scheduled drug, the generics cannot legally be ordered from overseas. I purchased 30 X 200mg for ~ $375 w/ doc prescrip. No ordinary insurance would cover this unless perhaps one is actually being treated for narcolepsy. Nice pill, but damn, you all must have a lot of disposable income. I spose a coke habit is worse.

100mg is good, but 200mg split over the day can be better. I cycle between 100mg in the morning; 100mg early afternoon, to a single 100mg dose around midday. When tolerance builds up then 200mg feels more like 150mg - which is manageable - but I find 200mg at once waaayy to jittery (and I'm prescribed the proper Cephalon stuff so it's not fake pills). On a side note, I have actually tried the Modalert branc, Alertec and Provigil from the 'net, and then Provigil and generic Modafinil from my doctor. Despite what people say, I have really noticed no difference, except for perhaps that 200mg Cephalon Provigil is less anxiogenic than 200mg Modalert...

Anyway, my point is that I do really love Modafinil as a lifestyle drug, as it seems to be synergesic with almost anything, have a relatively low safety-profile, and - if you know what you're doing and supplement with other...supplements then you'll get the most out of it.

As for the people who take 400mg or 600mg a day: how?? and why?? D'you get any heavy side effects or is that just your effective dose range..?

#19 Chaos Theory

• 272 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:17 PM

I don't understand how people can afford Provigil to just pop down once in a while. It's around $11 a pill! And being a USA scheduled drug, the generics cannot legally be ordered from overseas. I purchased 30 X 200mg for ~ $375 w/ doc prescrip. No ordinary insurance would cover this unless perhaps one is actually being treated for narcolepsy. Nice pill, but damn, you all must have a lot of disposable income. I spose a coke habit is worse.

If I were a betting man, I would say most aren't paying full retail, regardless of legality. We'll leave it at that. Some believe the scheduling was only done to thwart people from getting overseas generics. After my personal experience with it I too feel that it isn't a drug that needs to be scheduled.

I used to take 200mg/day. Sometimes 300mg, but that always made it difficult to sleep. Even though my doctor gave me a script and told me I could take 400mg/day as needed, I made the decision to quit using it completely. It seems to have a considerable effect on my perception and mood. At first it was slightly euphoric but that only lasted a few days. Then it was stimulated and hyper-focused, but that too wore off after a couple weeks. Now it pretty much just keeps me alert and awake all day, but at the same time feeling sort of emotionless. It's hard to describe. I haven't really seen anyone else report this effect though so take it for what it's worth.

#20 happy

• 103 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:55 AM

If I were a betting man, I would say most aren't paying full retail, regardless of legality. We'll leave it at that. Some believe the scheduling was only done to thwart people from getting overseas generics. After my personal experience with it I too feel that it isn't a drug that needs to be scheduled.

I used to take 200mg/day. Sometimes 300mg, but that always made it difficult to sleep. Even though my doctor gave me a script and told me I could take 400mg/day as needed, I made the decision to quit using it completely. It seems to have a considerable effect on my perception and mood. At first it was slightly euphoric but that only lasted a few days. Then it was stimulated and hyper-focused, but that too wore off after a couple weeks. Now it pretty much just keeps me alert and awake all day, but at the same time feeling sort of emotionless. It's hard to describe. I haven't really seen anyone else report this effect though so take it for what it's worth.

I can echo the numbing of emotions you state.

#21 thisismadness

• 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:52 AM

I've been on 200 mgs/day for almost a week now and it does absolutely nada for me. Which makes me think [totally subjectively, I admit] that this scheduled drug, which you can get from overseas, unlike many you can't--lacks something, is lax, not even good as laxative, which its not supposed to be, but the pun had to come out.

#22 Chaos Theory

• 272 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:50 AM

I've been on 200 mgs/day for almost a week now and it does absolutely nada for me. Which makes me think [totally subjectively, I admit] that this scheduled drug, which you can get from overseas, unlike many you can't--lacks something, is lax, not even good as laxative, which its not supposed to be, but the pun had to come out.

I know a guy who took 400mg of the same 200mg pills I take and he had no noticeable effect from it other than "maybe a headache." It seems to have a wide range of possible effects in people from euphoria to nothing at all.

#23 vyvanse

• 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:27 AM

Someone please pm me a reliable site where i can buy modafinil. I live in the US. thank you

#24 kilgoretrout

• 245 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:38 PM

Someone please pm me a reliable site where i can buy modafinil. I live in the US. thank you

WHY "PM" YOU ? Posting vendor names or web-sites is NOT against the rules here, right? Oh, well I guess you are afraid Law Enforcement is lurking in the group and if they saw the identity of a place that sells it no script and they are legit, then lurking LE would take steps to take them down I guess.

#25 steelsky

• Topic Starter
  • 412 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:20 AM

I've started this poll to get an idea (albeit not statistically valid) of how much Mod people take.

This is because I've only been taking 100-200mg, and sometimes feel it isn't enough, and that it doesn't last much. I've suggested Mod to a friend who's been feeling tired at work. He says that 200mg is enough for the whole day, and might even be too much. So I'm kinda "disappointed" at my body for that not being enough. Still, of course, we're all different.

I'm thinking about starting 200-300mg "as needed" (meaning even twice a day). This amounts to 400-600mg daily. I was just wondering if that is not too much. I should mention that when Modafinil DOES work, it works well, better than Ritalin (which is much stronger). I'm concerned about health issues, mainly - for body and brain.
While 200-300mg is acceptable per-dose.. I'm just wanting to know what to look out for (health wise, long term effect, etc.), if there's any danger.

Also, there's always the possibility of taking more Ritalin, which will amount to about 54-90mg daily, but I'm pretty sure 500mg of Modafinil is actually "safer".

(Note that I take Modafinil to fight my excessive daytime sleepiness)

Edited by steelsky, 04 July 2009 - 09:24 AM.

#26 steelsky

• Topic Starter
  • 412 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:17 AM

Bump

#27 steelsky

• Topic Starter
  • 412 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:23 PM

Anyone? I'm really wondering if those are safe amounts for daily use.

#28 Andy Deluxe

• 9 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:47 AM

Hi,

I take only 100mg when I need it. that means not more then 200mg the day.
with 100mg i can work 5h without brakes

#29 nootropicinfo

• 22 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:56 AM

Anyone? I'm really wondering if those are safe amounts for daily use.

I'm also curious as to what people's thoughts are. I've been taking 3 divided doses of 100mg recently (sometimes with an additional 100mg if needed).

I rarely go above 400mg per day though. Not much point - as for me it doesn't improve focus above this level.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 samantha

• 35 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:19 AM

One friend said he felt he was getting depressed/suicidal whilst the other said he felt he was going psychotic. Friend number one said he felt something was missing and felt empty inside, and had turned into a robot with no emotion. Friend number two said he was developing split personalities, where he would be constantly talking to himself, and said the longer I take modafinil the more I feel like I'm losing myself. All quite odd, any else experience this?

I don't feel depressed or anxious or suicidal when on a modafinil run. But I do notice a certain softness and perhaps relaxation response type stuff is harder to come by will on it. It is great for charging along a full steam but perhaps less so for deep appreciation of life? That is about the closest to a negative I have on it psychologically.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: modafinil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users