Photo

VIP outreach Goals Archive

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
358 replies to this topic

#61 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:42 PM

Alright Fowler, your letter is really long, but it covers the basics and is over all pretty good. The finished version is as follows:

To (individually insert each schools name starting with A from this link, http://www.directory...ols/alabama.htm dont include those duplicate names that are in there)

Im with the Advocates & Researchers for Unlimited Lifespans at imminst.org.

Research into unlimited lifespans is underway, and the cause is growing. You may not have heard about this burgeoning field of science and philosophy. It's the idea that doing something to slow down, halt, or even reverse the aging process in people, is an ethical and necessary goal. This is to combat the myriad amount of age related diseases that presently kill over 100,000 people a day. This is also ethical in that we believe life has tremendous worth for everyone on this planet.

This might sound radical at first, but many people, including many polls of people, show that the majority of people in many countries, including the U.S., would like to live longer lives. Whether deeply religious, or not, we believe life is a wonderful thing that shouldn't go to waste. There is a lot of discussion and action, established online non-profits working for the cause, and research going on in labs right now, trying to do something about prolonging life. One of the things that is happening right now with life extension, is what Dr. Aubrey de Grey, (a British bio gerontologist,) is doing with his SENS Foundation. His idea, and foundation, is work being done right now in labs throughout the country whereby they are combating the 7 causes of aging. They do this using an engineering approach that will ultimately include stem cell rejuvenation type of therapies, which in short, could repair damaged cells in our bodies.

Dr. de Grey has been featured on several American and English TV shows, including 20/20, with Barbra Walters in a special called "How to live to 150." He has also been on a popular BBC documentary, the Colbert Report, and a recent documentary on the History Channel. There is much more going on in this field as well including a prize that is up in the multimillions that will be awarded to a scientist that can keep a mouse alive the longest. I will also send you an email with the links to these sites.

The reason I am contacting you, is because we want to inform students and teachers more about what could be the most important human rights cause ever imagined. We here at imminst.org, believe every life is precious and thus worth fighting for! We want to send you a copy of a book called LifeQuest. We have recently been granted 100 free copies of this book to disseminate, from another of the affiliates in this field, the co founders of the Alcor Life Extension Foundation. If you are interested in receiving more copies for use in a class that you may be able to work it in to, then let us know. Please talk to teachers you think you may find to be interested in receiving more of these for their students. If you can, please encourage your colleagues to read the book and give it a review at amazon.com. We will send you these books for free. These particular books are fictional, but they spark ideas and discussio about this crucial cause. We also disseminate copies of bio gerontology engineering science for the laymen, called “Ending Aging” by Aubrey de Grey PHD and Michael Rae.

We want to get professors and students opinions on life extension, whether good or bad. To that end please consider asking teachers to make a request for as many free copies of LifeQuest or Ending Aging as they can make use of, so that perhaps students might write an essay on the subject. We could even work out a prize to a winning essay. We would also like to invite interested students and professors to attend an online broadcast and chat called the Sunday Evening Update at imminst.org/tv. There have been many prominent scientists and enthusiasts who have hosted our show, including biologist Michael Rose, Ray Kurzweil's doctor, biologist Cynthia Kenyon, and many more.

This is also part of the philosophy of Transhumanism which is a subset of humanism. It is the idea that each of us has tremendous worth as people, living on this planet, and that life right now is just too short; thus limiting our goals, dreams, and even the wonders of sharing the world with loved ones and friends. Many people, like me, would love to stay young longer, and believe it or not many great thinkers and scientists believe it is possible; the question is when.

My name is Devon Fowler and I would be happy to speak with you over the phone, or in email, anytime that you may want to. Below is my contact information.

Devon Fowler
fowlerdevon@gmail.com
cell: 617-504-7629

Can you have this printed out and stamped up by monday night?

#62 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:59 PM

But there are some further questions I have for this high shool market.

Is our intention just to make principals, deans, and/or teachers aware of what we're doing? And if so don't we need many more copies of LifeQuest to be distrubuted to the students? I mean, is one copy per school enough?

I included a part about how they can request more free copies if they, or teachers they may talk to about this, are interested in doing something with the books for a class, or classes.

Who would we ask to come on the Sunday Evening Update show? By sending one copy per school of LifeQuest doesn't seem to me to be a great way of attracting physics and chemistry, other science teachers.

Well, the way its set now we are just alerting them to the existence of the sunday evening update show. They might go there, they might direct there students there, they may play it live during a class, we might get an inquiry from a principle or somebody and so we might get an interview out of that. Its just a potential sales point.

We dont need to get straight to the hearts and minds of hard core science and chemistry students. A book like this can get through to the hearts and minds of students who are just general students, open minded, maybe not sure what they are going to do. A book like this can get them to thinking about the subject. It can get them to realize that it even exists, which is key. If such a book generates a conversation amongst students around schools here and there, thats huge. Such as, "Did you see that new movie surrogates?" "Oh ya, and there is this new book the teacher was talking about, apparently stuff like that is part of a field of science called transhumanism. I wonder what thats all about, Im going to google it later." etc.. etc.. etc...

I'm going to wait for your suggestions on key points to put into the letters, and your methodology for going about this idea.

Its done now. When you dont have time, I can step in sometimes to help. Any which way we can get functional contacts and letters to meet these deadlines is what we need to do. If we have to walk 5 miles to a computer or burn the mid night oil, or find more people to help us then thats what we will have to do. Im ready. Ill help you. Im here with you.

edit: one more important thing. we don't want to come across as wing nut scientologist type of people! Do you sincerely think a sci fi book is a good idea? Won't they just laugh at us? I've discussed it with a few smart, online friends and they think it's a bit of a reach, to send sci fi books to schools.

This book is fine. Think about it, billions of people worship, weird super science fiction versions of bibles. This book wont hit the mark in the mind of every person we may be able to reach with it, but it will reach many, and it will reach them in ways that other sales methods cant. These books all have their target crowds, and we will find plenty of open minded fiction book reading highschoolers to get through to with these.

However, one friend did recommend that maybe English teachers and professors might be more receptive.

I'm NOT trying to be argumentative...I'm thinking what's in the best interest of this cause!

Right, and we are leaving it up to the school board to get through to these kinds of teachers. An english, sociology, philosophy or other classes could do an essay on it. Not to mention, if any of these school board members or their other colleagues read the book then it will plant seedlings of this cause in their minds too. A principle who reads this book might then do a little googling on it and then recommend Ending Aging to their science teachers for instance. English students who may do a report on this have a percentage of them who will go in to science. If any students become interested in this then they may then convey that interest to other students and teachers etc...

#63 bacopa

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:16 AM

But there are some further questions I have for this high shool market.

Is our intention just to make principals, deans, and/or teachers aware of what we're doing? And if so don't we need many more copies of LifeQuest to be distrubuted to the students? I mean, is one copy per school enough?

I included a part about how they can request more free copies if they, or teachers they may talk to about this, are interested in doing something with the books for a class, or classes.

Who would we ask to come on the Sunday Evening Update show? By sending one copy per school of LifeQuest doesn't seem to me to be a great way of attracting physics and chemistry, other science teachers.

Well, the way its set now we are just alerting them to the existence of the sunday evening update show. They might go there, they might direct there students there, they may play it live during a class, we might get an inquiry from a principle or somebody and so we might get an interview out of that. Its just a potential sales point.

We dont need to get straight to the hearts and minds of hard core science and chemistry students. A book like this can get through to the hearts and minds of students who are just general students, open minded, maybe not sure what they are going to do. A book like this can get them to thinking about the subject. It can get them to realize that it even exists, which is key. If such a book generates a conversation amongst students around schools here and there, thats huge. Such as, "Did you see that new movie surrogates?" "Oh ya, and there is this new book the teacher was talking about, apparently stuff like that is part of a field of science called transhumanism. I wonder what thats all about, Im going to google it later." etc.. etc.. etc...

I'm going to wait for your suggestions on key points to put into the letters, and your methodology for going about this idea.

Its done now. When you dont have time, I can step in sometimes to help. Any which way we can get functional contacts and letters to meet these deadlines is what we need to do. If we have to walk 5 miles to a computer or burn the mid night oil, or find more people to help us then thats what we will have to do. Im ready. Ill help you. Im here with you.

edit: one more important thing. we don't want to come across as wing nut scientologist type of people! Do you sincerely think a sci fi book is a good idea? Won't they just laugh at us? I've discussed it with a few smart, online friends and they think it's a bit of a reach, to send sci fi books to schools.

This book is fine. Think about it, billions of people worship, weird super science fiction versions of bibles. This book wont hit the mark in the mind of every person we may be able to reach with it, but it will reach many, and it will reach them in ways that other sales methods cant. These books all have their target crowds, and we will find plenty of open minded fiction book reading highschoolers to get through to with these.

However, one friend did recommend that maybe English teachers and professors might be more receptive.

I'm NOT trying to be argumentative...I'm thinking what's in the best interest of this cause!

Right, and we are leaving it up to the school board to get through to these kinds of teachers. An english, sociology, philosophy or other classes could do an essay on it. Not to mention, if any of these school board members or their other colleagues read the book then it will plant seedlings of this cause in their minds too. A principle who reads this book might then do a little googling on it and then recommend Ending Aging to their science teachers for instance. English students who may do a report on this have a percentage of them who will go in to science. If any students become interested in this then they may then convey that interest to other students and teachers etc...

Ok I can respect those answers and I think now that it may be a good idea to target these high schools, even with this book.

We have nothing to lose and if they want we can send them other books.

I would advice that perhaps we could ask them if they would like a copy of Ending Aging, to back up our science roots.

I was also thinking that there could be a variety of students and or teachers that may want to attend the Sunday updates.

This is still a shot in the dark, imo, mostly due to the fact that highschools are still teaching basic level sciences. In the future, and along with this high school project, targeting colleges will yield better results. That's just what I sincerely believe. Like I said my almu matta UMass Amherst has many more forward thinking classes, majors, and professors that would jump, imho, at what we are all about. So please keep that in mind.

Having said all of that, I'm all for moving this forward asap. We'll edit this letter and begin writing to schoolboards in Alabama.

Devon

#64 bacopa

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:23 AM

Alright Fowler, your letter is really long, but it covers the basics and is over all pretty good. The finished version is as follows:

To (individually insert each schools name starting with A from this link, http://www.directory...ols/alabama.htm dont include those duplicate names that are in there)

Im with the Advocates & Researchers for Unlimited Lifespans at imminst.org.

Research into unlimited lifespans is underway, and the cause is growing. You may not have heard about this burgeoning field of science and philosophy. It's the idea that doing something to slow down, halt, or even reverse the aging process in people, is an ethical and necessary goal. This is to combat the myriad amount of age related diseases that presently kill over 100,000 people a day. This is also ethical in that we believe life has tremendous worth for everyone on this planet.

This might sound radical at first, but many people, including many polls of people, show that the majority of people in many countries, including the U.S., would like to live longer lives. Whether deeply religious, or not, we believe life is a wonderful thing that shouldn't go to waste. There is a lot of discussion and action, established online non-profits working for the cause, and research going on in labs right now, trying to do something about prolonging life. One of the things that is happening right now with life extension, is what Dr. Aubrey de Grey, (a British bio gerontologist,) is doing with his SENS Foundation. His idea, and foundation, is work being done right now in labs throughout the country whereby they are combating the 7 causes of aging. They do this using an engineering approach that will ultimately include stem cell rejuvenation type of therapies, which in short, could repair damaged cells in our bodies.

Dr. de Grey has been featured on several American and English TV shows, including 20/20, with Barbra Walters in a special called "How to live to 150." He has also been on a popular BBC documentary, the Colbert Report, and a recent documentary on the History Channel. There is much more going on in this field as well including a prize that is up in the multimillions that will be awarded to a scientist that can keep a mouse alive the longest. I will also send you an email with the links to these sites.

The reason I am contacting you, is because we want to inform students and teachers more about what could be the most important human rights cause ever imagined. We here at imminst.org, believe every life is precious and thus worth fighting for! We want to send you a copy of a book called LifeQuest. We have recently been granted 100 free copies of this book to disseminate, from another of the affiliates in this field, the co founders of the Alcor Life Extension Foundation. If you are interested in receiving more copies for use in a class that you may be able to work it in to, then let us know. Please talk to teachers you think you may find to be interested in receiving more of these for their students. If you can, please encourage your colleagues to read the book and give it a review at amazon.com. We will send you these books for free. These particular books are fictional, but they spark ideas and discussio about this crucial cause. We also disseminate copies of bio gerontology engineering science for the laymen, called “Ending Aging” by Aubrey de Grey PHD and Michael Rae.

We want to get professors and students opinions on life extension, whether good or bad. To that end please consider asking teachers to make a request for as many free copies of LifeQuest or Ending Aging as they can make use of, so that perhaps students might write an essay on the subject. We could even work out a prize to a winning essay. We would also like to invite interested students and professors to attend an online broadcast and chat called the Sunday Evening Update at imminst.org/tv. There have been many prominent scientists and enthusiasts who have hosted our show, including biologist Michael Rose, Ray Kurzweil's doctor, biologist Cynthia Kenyon, and many more.

This is also part of the philosophy of Transhumanism which is a subset of humanism. It is the idea that each of us has tremendous worth as people, living on this planet, and that life right now is just too short; thus limiting our goals, dreams, and even the wonders of sharing the world with loved ones and friends. Many people, like me, would love to stay young longer, and believe it or not many great thinkers and scientists believe it is possible; the question is when.

My name is Devon Fowler and I would be happy to speak with you over the phone, or in email, anytime that you may want to. Below is my contact information.

Devon Fowler
fowlerdevon@gmail.com
cell: 617-504-7629

Can you have this printed out and stamped up by monday night?

I made it long so as to sound like we know our stuff, and also academia is much more receptive to long informed letters vs. Hollywood celebs. I was careful to include the standard H+ appeals as to why life should be preserved for as long as possible, and hope this does not get edited out.

Also I made sure I mentioned that many people take this cause very seriously, and therefore I hope we'll come across as a credible branch of science.

I want to make sure Vgamer1 and Shannon have a chance to edit it, but I will print it out by Monday, stamp it and have it ready to go.

It is my recommendation, at this time, to wait until a more polished version is ready. I share with you your need for expediency in this project, for all the obvious reasons, but at the same time we want to do it as professionally and methodically as humanely possible.

One bad letter, and the cause is discredited.

I will be talking to Vgamer1 via Skype, hopefully today, and Shannon is welcome to join, as are you, when she has the time.

We can def make it shorter, but imo, it's a good outline of what we're about and includes vital info that shouldn't be lost on a shorter letter. Perhaps a better wordsmith can concise it.

Devon

Edited by dfowler, 28 September 2009 - 10:34 AM.

#65 Vgamer1

• Guest, F@H
  • 763 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:31 PM

Devon,

I'd really like to help this project out, if you'll accept my help. I have a few ideas and additions. For example, me and BP were thinking of a way to reach younger ages - like middle and elementary school.

We should skype sometime. Or gtalk. Or any kind of live chatting. PM's are too slow.

#66 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:56 PM

Fowler, this letter is already done. If you read through that version of yours I posted youll see that some things are edited.

I'll send this one out today, but in the future I need you to stay on top of this stuff and or outsource it. It needs to be done during the month though. There is no reason why a few letters cant be written and sent out in a months time. I know you can make this happen, we have faith in you. You can start in on October now if you want.

The monthly schedule is as follows,

-pick the three contacts by the end of the first week
-have the drafts written by the end of the second week
-have the drafts reviewed and edited and in evelopes with books ready if need by, and ready to be sent out by the end of the third week
-fourth week for misc. Use it to call each contact if you find a person to handle the calls by that time.

#67 Vgamer1

• Guest, F@H
  • 763 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:07 PM

Fowler, this letter is already done. If you read through that version of yours I posted youll see that some things are edited.

I'll send this one out today, but in the future I need you to stay on top of this stuff and or outsource it. It needs to be done during the month though. There is no reason why a few letters cant be written and sent out in a months time. I know you can make this happen, we have faith in you. You can start in on October now if you want.

-have the drafts reviewed and edited and in evelopes with books ready if need by, and ready to be sent out by the end of the third week
-fourth week for misc. Use it to call each contact if you find a person to handle the calls by that time.

If you give me enough notice to prepare, I can attempt a phone contact.

#68 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:14 PM

Your comfortable on the phones? Do you want us to work you in as the phone person then? You can be the go to person for that each month for as long as you stay on board with this. If so then we'll start working on some talking points.

These future letters will evolve with practice and experience, they will get shorter and have a systematic list of points in a determined order. We can keep talking points in mind for that too, so that you can just go down the list in the letter and talk about the main point of each paragraph, or at least have it in mind for if it can be worked in to the discussion or they ask such a question. We'll also want to anticipate other questions they may ask.

We'll want to alert them to the incoming letter and book, and try to hook them in some how. We'll want a main, simple sales point, like probably just trying to get them to sign up in the forum. We could direct them to a particular topic so that we can keep track of them too. Like for example, "please add your views on this topic about the future of school boards on Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans *here*" or something like that.

#69 bacopa

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:30 AM

Yes, I read the re-edited letter and thought it sounded good, my concern is that Shannon and Vgamer wished to edit it perhaps.

If you're comfortable with it then send it out. Don't forget that I had a version in and it took a few days for people to even look at it. It's not like I haven't been on this project almost everyday.

I also agree, but this month was confusing, because at first I was thinking of VIP individuals and somehow you came up with the idea for high schools, I'm sorry if you had mentioned this was a possibilty before, but therein lied the confusion.

So send the letters, and I'll help out too, just send me a fresh copy of the letter; one that is not in quotes.

This month will be quicker I can assure you, but I can't read your mind so pm me if you want to drastically change things.

As for my pc, it's broken, and I can't download Skype on my sister's mac, it's just giving error messages. I will be available certain nights on my dad's gtalk pc to talk with you or Vgamer1

I also agree I should be better about deadlines, but there is also lack of communication here, where I was thinking one thing and others another thing. My whole initial idea for Sept was to get some input from members and I only saw someone talk about Tony Robins.

I hope you understand where there was some confusion, and I'm not blaming anyone in particular

Edited by dfowler, 29 September 2009 - 01:33 AM.

#70 Vgamer1

• Guest, F@H
  • 763 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:40 AM

Listen to Devon BP!!

Clear communication is key :p

Edited by Vgamer1, 29 September 2009 - 01:41 AM.

#71 bacopa

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:49 AM

Bottom line for this round is that I was in the process of brainstorming VIP's and the high school contacts came out of no where. For future rounds let's communicate much better simply through gtalk and I'll have my dad try to download Skype on this mac, perhaps there was something I was doing wrong.

If not then I'll download skype on my dad's pc for the interum, even though he's not crazy about it.

I'm still not clear on who exactly is going to send these 20 letters to Alabama schools, however we can split it up equally or even in three parts between me, portal and Vgamer.

Like I said I'll try to get on Skype tonight via dad's pc, but will talk to vgamer via phone first.

This doesn't have to be so complicated! We just need to keep the weekly meetings going and I'm sorry for my pc breaking down, and hopefully I'll get this fixed.

And we need to ALL agree on who to contact for this month. I don't think there was a mutual consensus on the contacts for this month.

And, if we can communicate far better, then I will be much better at making deadline.

#72 bacopa

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:51 AM

sorry if both posts said virutally the same thing! I only slept a half hour. Gamer we should talk briefly tonight by phone, and I should be available to talk tomorrow night or even sometime in the day by phone when I'm much more sentient.

#73 bacopa

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:59 AM

Portal barring the communication problems, I am very impressed with your punctuality and drive for helping with this project.

Ok, you DID request that I send out the edited letter so that is indeed my fault, so I'll be more careful about reading your posts in the future. I just didn't expect that you alone would be sole editor, but I like your version, and again, if you can repost a copy of the letter not in quotes I'll be happy to assist you in sending these letters out.

You also did say Shannon wouldn't be able to do it for this month. I'll improve on things from now on.

edit: another problem was having my pc break down, I now have a written copy of each weeks deadline so I can better expediated the process for Oct.

Edited by dfowler, 29 September 2009 - 02:15 AM.

#74 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:50 PM

I like Brad Pitt as an actor, but he doesn't strike me as the sharpest pencil in the box. He is popular, though. Maybe he's already given some thought to life extension, seeing as he played Benjamin Button.

The way someone acts and talks often is not an accurate reflection of their intelligence. I'm guessing that Brad Pitt is a more intelligent person than you think he is. In high school I acted like an idiot and talked like a skater/surfer. Then I would ace tests in many of my classes and shock some of the people that only knew the class goof that I was. The same happened in college. Just be careful not to judge someone on the way they look or act.

Brad Pitt was a big pot smoker so maybe that has something to do with him not appearing to be all that smart. Also, he is a pretty boy so you have to consider that he has not had to come off as a smart guy and may not have felt the need to make an effort to do so.

I think Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, or any actor in hollywood that has a ton of money and a massive following would be great regardless of how intelligent they may or may not be. I honestly believe that the majority of people in hollywood have above average I.Q.'s.

Edited by morganator, 29 September 2009 - 01:56 PM.

#75 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:28 PM

I believe that we really need to start targeting celebrities with tons of money and influence. I think that connecting with high school students through the use of sci fi will be a total waste of time, especially in certain states where people are less likely to be forward thinkers, ie. Alabama.

Also, the last thing that a typical highs chool student thinks about or wants to think about is life extension.

Maybe the celebrities that eventually get involved in and support life extension efforts will influence young adults and teens to start thinking about it.

It would make much more sense to try to target college students rather than highs chool or intermediate students. At least here we may be influencing students that are studying medicine and related sciences to start thinking about how they can play a role in efforts to dramatically increase life span.

#76 Vgamer1

• Guest, F@H
  • 763 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:37 PM

Portal barring the communication problems, I am very impressed with your punctuality and drive for helping with this project.

Ok, you DID request that I send out the edited letter so that is indeed my fault, so I'll be more careful about reading your posts in the future. I just didn't expect that you alone would be sole editor, but I like your version, and again, if you can repost a copy of the letter not in quotes I'll be happy to assist you in sending these letters out.

You also did say Shannon wouldn't be able to do it for this month. I'll improve on things from now on.

edit: another problem was having my pc break down, I now have a written copy of each weeks deadline so I can better expediated the process for Oct.

I'm planning to call you at 3:00 Pacific Time

Let me know if this is a problem

#77 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:57 PM

Morganator,

Are you in? For the next few months at least? We can use your help here on this team. We'll put you on a list and send a memo out to you any time there is going to be a meeting or we need help.

Fowler,

You were in the process of picking vips and school board members came out of left field... Well school board members are vip's, and you didnt have 3 vip's picked by the 22nd, so I picked them because the deadline was way over due. This is all spelled out here, all the communication that you need is all here. Also important is showing some structure and progress for this team. Results for this team are going to encourage more volunteers and other teams. When we really start to show some impressive gains between the teams then it will even start encouraging people to make bigger and bigger donations. We might even get people to invest in some teams.

Vgamer,

Are you in for the phones part?

Everybody,

We also need an email to be made along with these letters.

We are right on track with the team over all so far, all we have to do now is keep it up and make October be successful, so pick the three by the end of the first week, find a writer to write the letter and email, get it all edited and sealed up in envelopes with books ordered where neccessary and dropped in the mail, and then have the caller do the calls.

Consider holding a meeting for each stage of this. How about each monday in october? 5th, 12th, 19th and 26th, fowler, vgamer, morganator, can you all make it there?

When you pick these VIP's be sure that they are ones that you can find the address, email and phone number for. You guys pick however you want, but theres no argueing that school boards are VIP's and that they are valuable to get through to for this. If you guys dont do it, if you go with other VIP's for other months, then Im going to recruit somebody to finish up on that list, and contact every school board in the US. Thats fine, Im just saying, I find it hard to beleive that you guys cant see the validity in going down the list of every school board in that US school board list. Thats just a drop in the bucket. We have hundreds of thousands of VIPs to contact here and its more important that we contact them than worry about the ifs ands and buts about who it should be. Your all smart enough to figure out how to pick solid candidates in a weeks time. I look forward to seeing who you have picked by October 11th.

#78 bacopa

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:33 PM

Morganator,

Are you in? For the next few months at least? We can use your help here on this team. We'll put you on a list and send a memo out to you any time there is going to be a meeting or we need help.

Fowler,

You were in the process of picking vips and school board members came out of left field... Well school board members are vip's, and you didnt have 3 vip's picked by the 22nd, so I picked them because the deadline was way over due. This is all spelled out here, all the communication that you need is all here. Also important is showing some structure and progress for this team. Results for this team are going to encourage more volunteers and other teams. When we really start to show some impressive gains between the teams then it will even start encouraging people to make bigger and bigger donations. We might even get people to invest in some teams.

Vgamer,

Are you in for the phones part?

Everybody,

We also need an email to be made along with these letters.

We are right on track with the team over all so far, all we have to do now is keep it up and make October be successful, so pick the three by the end of the first week, find a writer to write the letter and email, get it all edited and sealed up in envelopes with books ordered where neccessary and dropped in the mail, and then have the caller do the calls.

Consider holding a meeting for each stage of this. How about each monday in october? 5th, 12th, 19th and 26th, fowler, vgamer, morganator, can you all make it there?

When you pick these VIP's be sure that they are ones that you can find the address, email and phone number for. You guys pick however you want, but theres no argueing that school boards are VIP's and that they are valuable to get through to for this. If you guys dont do it, if you go with other VIP's for other months, then Im going to recruit somebody to finish up on that list, and contact every school board in the US. Thats fine, Im just saying, I find it hard to beleive that you guys cant see the validity in going down the list of every school board in that US school board list. Thats just a drop in the bucket. We have hundreds of thousands of VIPs to contact here and its more important that we contact them than worry about the ifs ands and buts about who it should be. Your all smart enough to figure out how to pick solid candidates in a weeks time. I look forward to seeing who you have picked by October 11th.

Ok Portal, I hear you and you know our thinking on Alabama high schools too. But I'm still ok with contacting as many schools, be it high schools, or whatever, if you sincerely think that's a tappable market.

I wrote down the info you gave for the meetings and I'll be sure to have one per week via Skype, gtalk, or even at imminst chat room.

I guess I can just copy paste the quoted letter and paste it to a word document.

Now we have to decide which schools we are going to send letters to.

Morganator has agreed to talk on the phones, I believe, and I'll stay on top of this one.

I recommend UMass and some other college's and uni's for Oct.

Edited by dfowler, 29 September 2009 - 07:35 PM.

#79 bacopa

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:39 PM

For Oct, I am ok with continuing on the random high school route, but I also want to include at least on college/uni and one VIP

I believe one good celeb endorsement could really make this cause catch on.

I'm considering again Matt Damon, Bruce Willis, Hugh Hefner, Natalie Portman, Brad Pitt, Tony Robbins and I'm open to suggestions.

Right now we have me, Portal, Vgamer1, and Morgenator willing to help out in the selection process.

It is not even October, and I think if we start on this early we can easily make it in time for Oct 7 which is the deadline.

So people chime in!

#80 Vgamer1

• Guest, F@H
  • 763 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:45 PM

My vote is Matt Damon.

I can explain my reasoning if you wish.

#81 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:53 PM

My vote is William Shatner.

He has already expressed an interest in immortality and could bring in a large crowd from the sci-fi geek world.

I think for the VIP project we should start with small celebrities and move up. We could also post on the front page the different celebrities supporting this cause (given that they joined).

I'm also for Matt Damon, but given the statues of such high celebrities their agents/staff will most likely discard our invitations before they have a chance to read them.

Edited by Cyberbrain, 29 September 2009 - 07:55 PM.

#82 Vgamer1

• Guest, F@H
  • 763 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:00 PM

William Shatner may be a better choice. Plus I like him better.

Wow, I would be so excited to speak to him.

#83 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:18 PM

Ok Portal, I hear you and you know our thinking on Alabama high schools too. But I'm still ok with contacting as many schools, be it high schools, or whatever, if you sincerely think that's a tappable market.

I wrote down the info you gave for the meetings and I'll be sure to have one per week via Skype, gtalk, or even at imminst chat room.

I guess I can just copy paste the quoted letter and paste it to a word document.

Now we have to decide which schools we are going to send letters to.

Morganator has agreed to talk on the phones, I believe, and I'll stay on top of this one.

I recommend UMass and some other college's and uni's for Oct.

I know what you mean but what negates your Alabama arguement is that we are going down the whole list. This isnt about Alabama school boards, this is about covering every single one of them from A to Z.

Before each meeting, send out a cc to all the people that we have found to be interested in this project and invite them to it. Invite Ben and Shannon too.

Dont print out that Alabama school board letter. Like I wrote, I am sending them out. I already sent them out.

If you want to target universities then I would suggest looking for a listing of a through z english departments for the lifequest book, which we have here, or if you want to try to get funds for ending aging books then look for an a through z listing of science departments or clubs or something like that. I would try to find an a through z though so you can keep track of it as you hit every one on the list over time.

Vgamer is in for the phones, Morganator hasnt even came on board yet, Im just hoping they will.

#84 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:26 PM

If you go with higher profile celebrities then I would use the criteria of finding those that have made mention or immortality or cryonics or not wanting to die, and things like that first, like Shatner. It might take many hours of clever googling, but I think you would be able to find a variety of shining gems of candidates that way.

Or you can continue with the school boards and get a better letter for the next round, or we or I can recruit somebody to continue the school boards on the side.

Or you can find an a through z listing of science professors for an ending aging book send out, or an a through z listing of english professors for a lifequest book send out. We have life quest, we would need to come up with $ for ending aging books.

Or you can target low level under the radar vip's of any sort, you wouldnt need to find those with mention of not wanting to die and stuff like that, because lower level vip's are the kind of people that want to stay active, want to stay connected, seen, they still have some more connections, and they are more likely to take any kind of publicity they can.

#85 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:26 PM

William Shatner may be a better choice. Plus I like him better.

Wow, I would be so excited to speak to him.

Exactly, me too. I believe he is also good friends with Kurzweil. Patrick Stewart would also be my second vote.

#86 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:35 PM

If you go with higher profile celebrities then I would use the criteria of finding those that have made mention or immortality or cryonics or not wanting to die, and things like that first, like Shatner. It might take many hours of clever googling, but I think you would be able to find a variety of shining gems of candidates that way.

Or you can continue with the school boards and get a better letter for the next round, or we or I can recruit somebody to continue the school boards on the side.

Or you can find an a through z listing of science professors for an ending aging book send out, or an a through z listing of english professors for a lifequest book send out. We have life quest, we would need to come up with $ for ending aging books.

Or you can target low level under the radar vip's of any sort, you wouldnt need to find those with mention of not wanting to die and stuff like that, because lower level vip's are the kind of people that want to stay active, want to stay connected, seen, they still have some more connections, and they are more likely to take any kind of publicity they can.

The problem with high level celebrities is that most likely they or their agents will ignore our invitation. They must already have hundreds of mail everyday to donate or join some cause.

But low level celebrities will be more free than high level ones and thus have a higher chance of responding to us.

So my opinion is to have the following VIP's:

1. low level celebs (ex Neil Patrick Harris, Seth Green, Seth MacFarlane, John Cho, Jim Parsons, etc)
2. scientists, doctors, and professors (especially English and philosophy ones ... they love transhumanism ... at least mine did)
3. other organizations - there must be about 4 dozen transhuman and anti-aging sites out there ... why don't we all unite in one big union or alliance ... we could have a link page to collaborators/allies or something

#87 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:44 PM

I'm just going to blot out as many low level celebs as I can think for future refence:

Patrick Stewart
Neil Patrick Harris
Simon Pegg
Seth Green
Seth MacFarlane
John Cho
Jim Parsons
Jorge Garcia
George Lopez
Josh Holloway
Matthew Fox
David Duchovny
Gillian Anderson
Stephen Colbert
Christopher Lloyd
Billy West
Katey Sagal
John DiMaggio
Yeardley Smith
Nick Frost

umm I'm sure I'm missing a few hundred

There must also be thousands of singers and bands we could reach out to

#88 Vgamer1

• Guest, F@H
  • 763 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:15 PM

Devon, sorry I didn't call you at 3 like I said.

When you get a chance, e-mail me or something.

#89 bacopa

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:32 AM

I'm just going to blot out as many low level celebs as I can think for future refence:

Patrick Stewart
Neil Patrick Harris
Simon Pegg
Seth Green
Seth MacFarlane
John Cho
Jim Parsons
Jorge Garcia
George Lopez
Josh Holloway
Matthew Fox
David Duchovny
Gillian Anderson
Stephen Colbert
Christopher Lloyd
Billy West
Katey Sagal
John DiMaggio
Yeardley Smith
Nick Frost

umm I'm sure I'm missing a few hundred

There must also be thousands of singers and bands we could reach out to

Some of them like Seth Green, Mathew Fox, Patrick Stewart, Stephen Colbert and Neil Patrick Harris are not low level celebs! More like mid to upper level. I'm actually not familiar with many that you listed. And David Ducovony is a upper level celeb.

Edited by dfowler, 30 September 2009 - 03:15 AM.

#90 bacopa

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:38 AM

The problem with high level celebrities is that most likely they or their agents will ignore our invitation. They must already have hundreds of mail everyday to donate or join some cause.

But low level celebrities will be more free than high level ones and thus have a higher chance of responding to us.

So my opinion is to have the following VIP's:

1. low level celebs (ex Neil Patrick Harris, Seth Green, Seth MacFarlane, John Cho, Jim Parsons, etc)
2. scientists, doctors, and professors (especially English and philosophy ones ... they love transhumanism ... at least mine did)
3. other organizations - there must be about 4 dozen transhuman and anti-aging sites out there ... why don't we all unite in one big union or alliance ... we could have a link page to collaborators/allies or something

Ok, I agree targeting even mid level celebs maybe a futile waste of our time. So I vote for one low level celeb that sounds intelligent, or a mid level celeb, like Seth Green, who I know IS intelligent and is interested in sci fi and I just would be he would like Transhumanism.

I vote for a professor, doctor, or scientist, and I even have a Communications professor who was my prof at UMass who was all about nanotech. So I vote for her for this round, as I know her well, and she is a shoe in to at least get back to me. I hope you agree with this one.

as for other H+ orgs, many of our Sunday Evening Update guests have been Transhumanists like Natasha Vita More, formerly of Extropy Institute.

Our goal is to get people unfamiliar with H+ ideas interested, Brokenportal is working on his longevity community networking project that aims at uniting transhumanist and similarly related orgs.

By the way, thanks for responding so quickly for this round!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users