• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

"Share to Win"

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#31 ArgusEritaramis

• 9 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:44 AM

Yay, at the moment we are in the lead!

Sens has 1297 comments, LAHH has 1211

Its looking good, but lets make sure we dont lose momentum.

#32 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:58 PM

In order to make sure SENSF gets the money, remember to mention it in your facebook and twitter updates tomorrow (Thursday) and Friday. Post a link in your favorite twines. Digg it. Talk to some bloggers you know. This mass action and the mass email from Imminst will hopefully create some new momentum to carry SENSF through Sunday.

#33 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:12 PM

Ok, I did my share to help us through the finish. Go imminst & SENSF!

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:25 AM

I posted a comment. I also sent out emails in my email contact list.

Im going to be posting this in my myspace. Ive got about 1,800 contacts there, probably about 500 actual people. I would post it to my facebook too but I never built it up. I was going to develop my facebook after myspace made its final death throws, but I never did.

We are also going to have the internetworking team work with this tomorrow.

Like Aubrey says, its not even so much about the 5k as it is about a show of support. Shows of support attract more people. The bigger the mass the more gravity it has.

#35 Mind

• 19,058 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:17 PM

I posted this in my facebook status, on my personal twitter, and the Imminst twitter. I posted it to a handful of related twines. Will be sending out a mass email to Imminst registered users this afternoon. Has anyone Dugg this effort?

Here is the link again, in case this is the first time anyone is reading this. Looks like SENSF has 1401 replies at the moment.

http://3banana.com/m/0JQ/-kDPA_iEv7i

#36 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:02 PM

Merged the two threads as they were about the same subject.

#37 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:01 PM

merged some more.

Last week, front page item and mass email may be useful.

#38 Oliver_R

• 74 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:26 PM

Only a few days to go... and only leading by a small margin. This would be really goo for SENS if it wins - not just the money, but the good publicity too

#39 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:50 AM

I commented too.

#40 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 06:27 AM

I'm not liking some of the aspects of this competition.

a) We're competing against a group that helps disabled people find employment
b) This competition is encouraging mass spamming and viral marketing

#41 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:27 PM

SENS..F? which one is that :)

#42 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:28 PM

I'm not liking some of the aspects of this competition.

a) We're competing against a group that helps disabled people find employment

So what? We're trying to save billions of people from a sure and painful death. Both deserve to win, and probably both competitors will win (one will make 2,5k the other 5k$).

b) This competition is encouraging mass spamming and viral marketing

Yes, so did the AMEX challange. That's what all those competitons are about. Companies give away money in exchange for good PR. Nothing's free, not even free money.

We're slightly behind right now.

Edited by kismet, 25 September 2009 - 02:53 PM.

#43 MichaelGR

• Guest, F@H
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:55 PM

Very important to vote now if you haven't already.

SENS is #2 again, and the challenge ends Sunday. Get friends, family, online acquaintances, etc, to vote.

#44 Mind

• 19,058 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:20 PM

I updated my facebook and twitter accounts once again today, and I suggest everyone do it once more as well.

As to the competition angle. SENSF gets a tiny tiny fraction of the private and governmental support enjoyed by "social service" charities, yet what they set out to do is end age-related suffering for everyone. Surely SENSF deserves at least this one small grant.

#45 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:38 PM

The internetworking team is working this in as much as they can, and I sent out two bulletins in myspace today. I emailed a few of my transhumanist contacts today and urged them to contact their contacts.

Has a mass email been sent out here at imminst for this yet? I would definitely send that out. From what I gather, I would think that it would pull in another 100 to 200 comments.

The best thing I think we can all do is personally ask people we know well to make a comment. If we all do this 3 or 4 times, that will be another 3 or 400 comments right there. Im going to conctact at least 10 more people by sunday for such a purpose.

#46 Florin

• 850 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:48 PM

However, we should really start thinking more about getting grants for Imminst. I think if we had a dedicated research fund, then it would be easier to point to a reason to support Imminst in cases like this. Or perhaps a charity fund such as the one that supported William O'Rights.

There are a lot of ways for Imminst to raise funds for itself. Recently, I've found two other charities contests:I don't know if the SENSF will participate in either of them yet.

#47 Mind

• 19,058 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:01 PM

I sent out a mass PM yesterday and I might send out another over the weekend. According to our software, it reached about 1,200 members.

#48 Florin

• 850 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 02:46 AM

Displaying this contest more prominantly (e.g., making it the first big image that loads in the "slideshow") on Imminst's homepage might also help.

#49 Oliver_R

• 74 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 01:09 PM

We are currently losing by 14 comments.....

this is assuming those figures at the top of each group's comments list actually represent unique users - if some people have double posted they might not do

#50 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:20 PM

could anyone send an email to all/most imminst members?
also, on the top of each page, could anyone replace "NEWS :" by "LAST DAY: Free :" ?

Everyone: go to http://bit.ly/sensf , click on "join" (top right), join, click on comment (below black rectangle), and post a message. That's it!

#51 Gerald W. Gaston

• 529 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:58 PM

You vote by leaving a comment. Here is the latest message sent today from Aubrey on Facebook:

Hi everyone,

After a dramatic ding-dong race over the past couple of weeks, the "Share to Win" contest concludes TODAY (Sunday September 27th). As things stand, we trail by just 59 comments. This means we are set to receive only $2,000 rather than $5,000 - bu also, as I've mentioned previously, the winner will receive a bunch of really useful promotion that could lead to really big donations from people who are impressed at our level of support. Thus, I really hope that those of you who have still not registered your support for SENS at 3banana.com by entering a comment on this page:

http://3banana.com/m/0JQ/-kDPA_iEv7i

will go there and do so without delay. Please do it right now: it's free, it takes just 30 seconds, and if you don't want to sign up you can even use your gmail address instead (hit "sign in" instead of "sign up"). Duplicate votes from the same user do not count, but if you can get your friends to vote too, that would be wonderful. If you support the crusade to defeat aging, now is your chance to show it!

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers, Aubrey

I just checked and SENS was up ~30 votes/comments, but the voting isn't over.

The non-profit cause that collect the most comments on their note from unique users will win first place. Voting will end on Sunday, September 27, 2009 at midnight. They didn't state time zone on the pages I read.

So please leave a comment to show your support for SENS!

edit:typos and add post icon

Edited by frankbuzin, 27 September 2009 - 05:20 PM.

#52 Gerald W. Gaston

• 529 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:16 PM

Also if you use Facebook and would like to join the SENS cause there, please go to:

http://apps.facebook.com/causes/10187

#53 Florin

• 850 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:53 PM

SENSF has regained the lead but could slip back anytime. Is Imminst going to do a mass PM and/or email? I haven't received anything.

Edited by Florin Clapa, 27 September 2009 - 06:00 PM.

#54 Gerald W. Gaston

• 529 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:25 PM

Just checked and it was 1842 for SENS and 1787 for LAHHouse... SENS is up 55! Keep the votes coming!

#55 Oliver_R

• 74 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:54 PM

SENSF has regained the lead but could slip back anytime. Is Imminst going to do a mass PM and/or email? I haven't received anything.

SENSF is winning! But there are 12 hours to go before the competition ends at 11.59pm California time. Also it is impossible to know, IMO, if some unique users double-posted (which is not counted when they do the final count up) so we must not be complacent.

Anyone who has not posted -- please do : http://www.facebook....0JQ/-kDPA_iEv7i

#56 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:46 PM

I think we're in the lead (by about 80votes). When does the challange end?

#57 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:54 PM

Does somebody have a tally from someplace on the total unique comments? Or are these lead change numbers based on the total comments that are shown to be tallied there?

If we dont have a unique comment number then for sure we cant be complacent. A little more effort today can go a long long ways. Im going to find at least 3 more people to comment right now.

#58 Vgamer1

• Guest, F@H
  • 763 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:08 PM

...Voting will end on Sunday, September 27, 2009 at midnight. They didn't state time zone on the pages I read.

So please leave a comment to show your support for SENS!

#59 Oliver_R

• 74 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:11 PM

Does somebody have a tally from someplace on the total unique comments? Or are these lead change numbers based on the total comments that are shown to be tallied there?

If we dont have a unique comment number then for sure we cant be complacent. A little more effort today can go a long long ways. Im going to find at least 3 more people to comment right now.

the 3banana site says: How are votes counted?
Votes are counted by tallying up comments made by unique users. We will use software to count the votes, and our software will eliminate duplicate comments from the same user. In addition, comments generated by robots and scripts will not be counted.

this will happen at 11.59pm (presumably California time, where the company is based). The numbers you can see at the top of each cause's page (Sens currently at about 1942, the competitor at 1858) are a tally of "replies". I don't know any way to count unique users. Also, though there is a good gap now, the other cause is still getting new votes too and anything can happen.

#60 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:23 PM

the 3banana site says: How are votes counted?
Votes are counted by tallying up comments made by unique users. We will use software to count the votes, and our software will eliminate duplicate comments from the same user. In addition, comments generated by robots and scripts will not be counted.

this will happen at 11.59pm (presumably California time, where the company is based). The numbers you can see at the top of each cause's page (Sens currently at about 1942, the competitor at 1858) are a tally of "replies". I don't know any way to count unique users. Also, though there is a good gap now, the other cause is still getting new votes too and anything can happen.

Comments and replies are the same thing right?

Also, so this means the real numbers, the numbers of unique comments at this time could be something like, them 1700, us 1600 right?

Man, the many things going on for the cause these days, this is a great example, really shows how the small contributions of every single one of us is going to be what is going to take us to the next levels. This quest for unlimited lifespans can have world support with in 5 or so years, but it can not happen with out every single one of us. The concept of the penny doubling effect comes in to play here more strongly than any other particular concept I can think of. If you double a penny once a month for 30 months you end up with over a billion dollars. Your action inspires more and so doubles and doubles like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users