Photo
- - - - -

Resveratrol: Current State of Science?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#31 full_circle

• 144 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:00 AM

should we be reminded when newton came up with The Universal Law of Gravitation, university counsellors were advising their students not to major in physics because all physical laws of the universe have been found..? one thing i can claim w/o hesitance is that future is further away than we think..

Edited by full_circle, 27 March 2010 - 04:02 AM.

#32 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:31 AM

are you saying you yourself still do not know blood thinning property of Resveratrol?

You initially asked about internal bleeding. That really is quite different than a moderate anti-platelet activity. So what's the evidence?

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 full_circle

• 144 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:39 AM

so now you are finally admitting resveratrol's blood thining property. what took you so long? (to answer your non-questionic question, any blood thinning agent, taken in good amount every single day, will make your brain capillaries leak and bleed, but then again you already know this)
???

#34 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:53 AM

should we be reminded when newton came up with The Universal Law of Gravitation, university counsellors were advising their students not to major in physics because all physical laws of the universe have been found..? one thing i can claim w/o hesitance is that future is further away than we think..

Granted, you are entitled to your opinion, but here in the USA, thanks to Freedom,Liberty, Democracy and Capatilism, we absolutely have the handle on Scientific technology. There are more genius scientists here than anywhere in the world and they are the highest paid of anywhere. If you lived here, you would understand. Its like Orwells, "1984" and Kubricks, "Space Odessey" we have technology that hasnt even been openly discussed anywhere, yet. Once its announced, its already old news. Its just my optimistic opinion though, and anecdotal at worst The cure for cancer, probably wont be announced until its decades old and already saved millions of lives.

#35 full_circle

• 144 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:59 AM

you finally have some good points --> america is a great country! and i love english language too. y else would i have spent 10+ years in the US for my humble degree? (btw i'm going back to the US again this summer. a job offer) great leap of faith btw from resveratrol's blood thinning property to Freedom,Liberty, Democracy and Capatilism! ;)

Edited by full_circle, 27 March 2010 - 05:05 AM.

#36 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:10 AM

you finally have some good points --> america is a great country! and i love english language too. y else would i have spent 10+ years in the US for my humble degree? (btw i'm going back to the US again this summer. a job offer) ;)

I finally have some good points? lol, Try the Resveratrol, combined supplements regimen I have discussed elsewhere for 6 weeks and tell me how you feel after it.

#37 full_circle

• 144 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:15 AM

nope sorry i value my capillaries more than your leap of faith. have a great night! ;)

#38 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:53 AM

you finally have some good points --> america is a great country! and i love english language too. y else would i have spent 10+ years in the US for my humble degree? (btw i'm going back to the US again this summer. a job offer) great leap of faith btw from resveratrol's blood thinning property to Freedom,Liberty, Democracy and Capatilism! ;)

Three cheers for the red, white and blue and all that, but a cursory search of pub-med turned up nothing to support an assertion of blood-thinnng properties of resveratrol. In fact the first hit on a search for "resveratrol bleeding" turned up a study that directly contradicts the assertion; in an experimental model of ulcerative colitis, resveratrol significantly reduced the rate of bleeding. A search on resveratrol blood thinning turned up nothing.

Dietary supplementation of resveratrol attenuates chronic colonic inflammation in mice.
Sánchez-Fidalgo S, Cárdeno A, Villegas I, Talero E, de la Lastra CA.

Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmacy, University of Seville, Spain. fidalgo@us.es
Ulcerative colitis is a nonspecific inflammatory disorder characterized by oxidative and nitrosative stress, leucocyte infiltration and upregulation of inflammatory mediators. Resveratrol is a polyphenolic compound found in grapes and wine, with multiple pharmacological actions, mainly anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antitumour and immunomodulatory activities. The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of dietary resveratrol on chronic dextran sulphate sodium (DSS)-induced colitis. Six-week-old mice were randomized into two dietary groups: one standard diet and the other enriched with resveratrol at 20mg/kg of diet. After 30days, mice were exposed to 3% DSS for 5days developing acute colitis that progressed to severe chronic inflammation after 21days of water. Our results demonstrated that resveratrol group significantly attenuated the clinical signs such as loss of body weight, diarrhea and rectal bleeding improving results from disease activity index and inflammatory score. Moreover, the totality of resveratrol-fed animals survived and finished the treatment while animals fed with standard diet showed a mortality of 40%. Three weeks after DSS removal, the polyphenol caused substantial reductions of the rise of pro-inflammatory cytokines, TNF-alpha and IL-1beta and an increase of the anti-inflammatory cytokine IL-10. Also resveratrol reduced prostaglandin E synthase-1 (PGES-1), cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) and inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) proteins expression, via downregulation of p38, a mitogen-activated protein kinases (MAPK) signal pathway. We conclude that resveratrol diet represents a novel approach to the treatment of chronic intestinal inflammation. Copyright 2010 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.

PMID: 20132809

Edited by maxwatt, 27 March 2010 - 10:00 AM.

#39 full_circle

• 144 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 10:30 AM

Resveratrol is undoubtedly a blood thinner, among other numerous side effects.

CLICK HERE
and
HERE

Now I'm not a fool, I can see why ImmInst is trying to sugar-coat Resveratrol's side effects. However I have a different view on this: It is only if ImmInst takes a totally transparent position on ImmInst-promoting supplements, including Resveratrol, that ImmInst will find true benefit in the long run, both in profit and reputation.

Believe it or not, I like ImmInst forum a lot and it is my sincere two cents.

Edited by full_circle, 27 March 2010 - 11:16 AM.

#40 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:47 AM

Resveratrol is undoubtedly a blood thinner.

CLICK HERE
and
HERE

Now I'm not a fool, I can see why ImmInst is trying to sugar-coat Resveratrol's side effects. However I have a different view on this: It is only if ImmInst takes a totally transparent position on ImmInst-promoting supplements, including Resveratrol, that ImmInst will find true benefit in the long run, both in profit and reputation.

Believe it or not, I like ImmInst forum a lot and it is my sincere two cents.

The first link is the Linus Pauling institute, where they reference a study showing resveratrol inhibits the aggregation of blood platelets (clotting action.) They warn this could possibly increase the risk of bleeding when taken with anti-coagulants such as coumarin. Aspirin is a much, much stronger anti-coagulant than resveratrol, by the way.

The second link is a google search for resveratrol "blood thinner" which turns up a host of popular articles that conflate the anti-coagulant activity in the lab with blood-thinning. Under most circumstances a slight inhibition of blood clotting is desirable*; however the concentrations of resveratrol used in the lab studies I've seen are much higher than blood serum levels that can be achieved in vivo.

In short, this is a non-issue for resveratrol use.

Imminst does not promote resveratrol use; while some of us are quite enthusiastic about it, most members are indifferent by now, and some are against it. A resveratrol supplement manufacturer does sponsor this particular forum, but he is limited in how he can promote it here. If we seem to tolerate his posts more than those of other manufacturers, it is because his posts tend to be accurate, honest and informative as is his marketing elsewhere. We have turned down other would-be advertisers who make inaccurate, sensationalist and emotional appeals in their marketing.

* Blood thinners, or more accurately anticoagulants such as aspirin, decrease the risk of heart attack, though they slightly elevate the risk of hemorrhagic stroke.

Edited by maxwatt, 27 March 2010 - 11:58 AM.
obsessive compulsive disorder

#41 full_circle

• 144 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:12 PM

Actually the first link is google search for "resveratrol bleeding risk", and maxwatt again, is obviously attempting to downplay the clear and present ;) danger of mega-dosing Resveratrol. Internal capillary leakage/bleeding can be symptomless for months or even years until it hits you with irreversable hemorrhagic stroke.

A couple of more side effects:
Resveratrol inhibits Angiogenesis (growth of new blood vessels). now this may be a good news for tumor inhibition but not so good a news for wound healing and growing. Resveratrol will retard growth of children/adolescents. Large dosage of resveratrol frequently talked about here, should never be taken, especially in combination of of fishoil, Borage oil, Curcumin, Quercetin, MSM, garlic, ginger, magnesium, lavender/camomile tea and baby aspirin etc. which all thin blood. Resveratrol also is an efficient chelator, especially copper, lack of which hardens/weakens blood vessels and causes joint pain and bone fragility, which seem to have already affected a number of ImmInst Resveratrol users. Resveratrol also seems to cause hormonal disturbance, making women masculine and men feminine.

There are many more. If you care about your health, you should thoroughly search the net and get a good grip of Resveratrol side effects before you spend hundreds of $.

Edited by full_circle, 27 March 2010 - 12:46 PM.

#42 Ironman-Adam

• 23 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 01:01 PM

I take a substantial dose of Resveratrol daily, but we should be cautious of the potential effects of unnaturally high dosages of otherwise beneficial substances.

When all things are considered, I hope Resveratrol lives up to its early promise - but in the meantime, whilst moderate doses appear beneficial, it seems daily human dosages of several grams or more may have detrimental effects, evidenced in this study by damage to heart muscle...

Resveratrol, a unique phytoalexin present in red wine, delivers either survival signal or death signal to the ischemic myocardium depending on dose - The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, Volume 20, Issue 6, June 2009, Pages 443-452

Abstract: Recent studies have demonstrated the cardioprotective abilities of resveratrol, a polyphenolic antioxidant present in red wine. Resveratrol can also kill cancer cells at relatively higher doses by exerting a death signal. We reasoned that resveratrol might possess the ability to protect the cells at lower doses as observed during pharmacological preconditioning of the heart, while at higher doses cause cell death as found for cancer cells.

To test this hypothesis, rats were randomly fed for 14 days by gavaging any of the four doses of resveratrol — 2.5, 5.0, 25 or 50 mg/kg — while vehicle-fed animals served as placebo control. After 14 days, isolated working hearts were prepared from both experimental and control animals, and the hearts were subjected to 30-min global ischemia followed by 2 h of reperfusion.

The rats fed either 2.5 or 5 mg/kg dose of resveratrol for 14 days provided cardioprotection as evidenced by improved post-ischemic ventricular recovery and reduction of myocardial infarct size and cardiomyocyte apoptosis compared to control. In contrast, the hearts fed either 25 or 50 mg/kg dose of resveratrol depressed cardiac function and increased myocardial infarct size and number of apoptotic cells. The results for Western blots and RT-PCR demonstrated an increase of protein and RNA transcripts of redox proteins including thioredoxin (Trx)-1, Trx-2, glutaredoxin (Grx)-1, Grx-2, redox factor Ref-1 as well as redox-sensitive transcription factor NFκB, and survival factors such as phosphorylated-Akt (p-Akt), and Bcl-2 in the animals fed lower doses (2.5 and 5 mg/kg) of resveratrol, while the reverse was true for the animals fed higher doses (25 and 50 mg/kg) of resveratrol.

The results thus indicate that at lower doses (2.5 or 5 mg/kg), resveratrol exerts survival signal by up-regulating anti-apoptotic and redox proteins Akt and Bcl-2, while at higher doses (>25 mg/kg), it potentiates a death signal by down-regulating redox proteins and up-regulating pro-apoptotic proteins.

Edited by Ironman-Adam, 27 March 2010 - 01:22 PM.

#43 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 01:57 PM

I take a substantial dose of Resveratrol daily

Hi Adam,

How much Resveratrol are you taking per day?

Thanks,

- pycnogenol

#44 Ironman-Adam

• 23 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 02:43 PM

I take a substantial dose of Resveratrol daily

Hi Adam,

How much Resveratrol are you taking per day?

Thanks,

- pycnogenol

Hi Pycno,

I'm currently taking a 4 times daily combination, consisting of standard powdered Resveratrol (approx 300mg Polygonum Cuspidatum in capsule form, containing 150mg Trans Resveratrol) taken orally, plus around 100mg of Micronized 98% Resveratrol dissolved in Lecithin and held in a sublingual/buccal manner for a few minutes before swallowing. I also take Quercetin immediately prior to each dose.

So I'm ending up with slightly less than 1g daily total Resveratrol, by a combination of delivery methods, and from a variety of sources. I dose several times a day as I understand blood serum levels drop quickly after administering, and I therefore believe several discrete hits may be an effective way to continually deliver Resveratrol and thus activate the desired expression.

And I continue to combine with Polygonum Cuspidatum, as medical science can often find the original herbal source contains other beneficial co-factors besides the purified active ingredient. (Nature has an uncanny way of finding the right balance...)

I also plan to cycle off Resveratrol and on to Cycloastragenol (and associated Telomerase activators) on a 3 month period - which seems to be the recommended time scale to both give your body a break from one chemical, whilst giving the other enough time to manifest its effects.

Cheers - Adam

#45 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:35 PM

nope sorry i value my capillaries more than your leap of faith. have a great night! ;)

Perhaps you have a pre-existing condition that precludes all supplement use. If so, I understand your prudence and reluctance to try any regimens. I dont think anyone here is endorsing using exorbitant doses of Resveratrol. As for advertisement here, its pretty much restricted, however, if someone asks me directly what product I think is best, I usually tell them. This is how we share information, this is what these boards are for. I highly doubt that if you use Resveratrol at modest doses of the best available to you, that it will create any problems. Often people that dont use Resveratrol, post here and try to negate it. Thats okay, because it prompts pro-resveratrol discussion.

#46 joe57777

• 74 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:02 PM

Perhaps you have a pre-existing condition that precludes all supplement use. If so, I understand your prudence and reluctance to try any regimens. I dont think anyone here is endorsing using exorbitant doses of Resveratrol. As for advertisement here, its pretty much restricted, however, if someone asks me directly what product I think is best, I usually tell them. This is how we share information, this is what these boards are for. I highly doubt that if you use Resveratrol at modest doses of the best available to you, that it will create any problems. Often people that dont use Resveratrol, post here and try to negate it. Thats okay, because it prompts pro-resveratrol discussion.

Hi all. I have been reading all these posts on Longe****x. I would like to think that it is the best choice to start a regimen of Resveratrol with. I like the way it is incapsuled so it doesn't convert from trans-resveratrol to cis-resveratrol. I am confused why their advantage+ formula is split up so that you need to take two capsules to achieve the same amount of resveratrol as you will get with one capsule of their regular formula. As for their ingredients, I like that it has vitamin D3 (very good for you I hear). I like that it has Quercetin (very good for you I hear). I like IP6 (I heard that is good for you). Now the advantage formula I like even more because I have heard good things about hyaluronan, lutein, and extracts of cocoa bean, green tea, and grape seed. And if I tried to get truly trans-resveratrol without it turning to cis-resveratrol, as well as adding all the rest of these good ingredients, how much more would I have to spend to accomplish this from all separate sources instead of taking the Long****x advantage+ formula? Does anyone have this answer? The reason why I am asking is because I DO NOT like and or I am AFRAID of ingesting some of the other ingredients found in Longe****x. The ingredients I am talking about are titanium dioxide and silicon dioxide. Both of these chemicals are said to be bad for humans. I have included links for articles on both: http://www.ktradione...an-consumption/

http://www.ivanfrase...ealth/sics.html

Because of these ingredients, I am asking if anyone knows a way that I can get what I consider to be the “good ingredients” in a resveratrol regimen without spending a fortune. Or is there another company out there that has the same ingredients as Longe****x without the dioxide brothers? Lastly, does anyone agree about the daily dosage of trans-resveratrol in Longe****x to be the most effective dose to take for daily use, or is there a more effective dose that someone feels is better? I am just trying to get started up again on a “smart” up to date 2010 resveratrol regimen that I want to follow religiously for a while.

Thanks in advance!

#47 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:51 PM

Hi all. I have been reading all these posts on Longe****x. I would like to think that it is the best choice to start a regimen of Resveratrol with. I like the way it is incapsuled so it doesn't convert from trans-resveratrol to cis-resveratrol. I am confused why their advantage+ formula is split up so that you need to take two capsules to achieve the same amount of resveratrol as you will get with one capsule of their regular formula. As for their ingredients, I like that it has vitamin D3 (very good for you I hear). I like that it has Quercetin (very good for you I hear). I like IP6 (I heard that is good for you). Now the advantage formula I like even more because I have heard good things about hyaluronan, lutein, and extracts of cocoa bean, green tea, and grape seed. And if I tried to get truly trans-resveratrol without it turning to cis-resveratrol, as well as adding all the rest of these good ingredients, how much more would I have to spend to accomplish this from all separate sources instead of taking the Long****x advantage+ formula? Does anyone have this answer? The reason why I am asking is because I DO NOT like and or I am AFRAID of ingesting some of the other ingredients found in Longe****x. The ingredients I am talking about are titanium dioxide and silicon dioxide. Both of these chemicals are said to be bad for humans. I have included links for articles on both: http://www.ktradione...an-consumption/

Because of these ingredients, I am asking if anyone knows a way that I can get what I consider to be the "good ingredients" in a resveratrol regimen without spending a fortune. Or is there another company out there that has the same ingredients as Longe****x without the dioxide brothers? Lastly, does anyone agree about the daily dosage of trans-resveratrol in Longe****x to be the most effective dose to take for daily use, or is there a more effective dose that someone feels is better? I am just trying to get started up again on a "smart" up to date 2010 resveratrol regimen that I want to follow religiously for a while.

Thanks in advance!

I think that the best option, is Micronized 98% pure bulk powder. That is the best and cheapest, and probably what most people can afford for continued supplementation. I mix mine with a glass of juice.

#48 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:22 AM

Actually the first link is google search for "resveratrol bleeding risk", and maxwatt again, is obviously attempting to downplay the clear and present ;) danger of mega-dosing Resveratrol. Internal capillary leakage/bleeding can be symptomless for months or even years until it hits you with irreversable hemorrhagic stroke.

Resveratrol inhibits Angiogenesis (growth of new blood vessels). now this may be a good news for tumor inhibition but not so good a news for wound healing and growing. Resveratrol will retard growth of children/adolescents. Large dosage of resveratrol frequently talked about here, should never be taken, especially in combination of of fishoil, Borage oil, Curcumin, Quercetin, MSM, garlic, ginger, magnesium, lavender/camomile tea and baby aspirin etc. which all thin blood. Resveratrol also is an efficient chelator, especially copper, lack of which hardens/weakens blood vessels and causes joint pain and bone fragility, which seem to have already affected a number of ImmInst Resveratrol users. Resveratrol also seems to cause hormonal disturbance, making women masculine and men feminine.

There are many more. If you care about your health, you should thoroughly search the net and get a good grip of Resveratrol side effects before you spend hundreds of $.

Everything that I bolded is an unsupported assertion. I applaud that you've finally broken down and posted a link a few posts back, but google searches are not exactly scientific research. You can thoroughly search the net all you want, but if you are just bringing up a bunch of erroneous blogs and forum posts, or advertising propaganda masquerading as good information, what good is it? We would like to see papers from the peer reviewed literature that support your rather outlandish claims. You seem to see words that turn up in google searches, like "blood thinner", yet you have no sense of the magnitude of these effects. You then seem to let your mind run wild, cooking up unlikely scenarios like "irreversible hemorrhagic stroke" with no basis in fact.

We would love to have you make real contributions to our forums, but in order to do that, you will need to back up your claims with some solid data.

Edited by niner, 29 March 2010 - 12:23 AM.

#49 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:47 AM

Because of these ingredients, I am asking if anyone knows a way that I can get what I consider to be the “good ingredients” in a resveratrol regimen without spending a fortune. Or is there another company out there that has the same ingredients as Longe****x without the dioxide brothers? Lastly, does anyone agree about the daily dosage of trans-resveratrol in Longe****x to be the most effective dose to take for daily use, or is there a more effective dose that someone feels is better? I am just trying to get started up again on a “smart” up to date 2010 resveratrol regimen that I want to follow religiously for a while.

You are worrying needlessly about the stability of resveratrol. Despite commercial propaganda to the contrary, resveratrol is a reasonably stable molecule in the solid phase. Do you remember this post? If you read the abstract quoted there, it details stability tests that were run on samples of resveratrol, showing that conversion from trans to cis is a non-issue. In fact, the more likely conversion is from cis to trans. If you continue further in the same thread, there is more discussion of evidence for stability and likely sources of the rumors of instability.

Titanium and Silicon dioxide are not a problem in supplements. They are probably dangerous in the form of nanoparticles, but the materials used in supplements are orders of magnitude larger. They don't represent a danger.

#50 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:04 AM

Actually the first link is google search for "resveratrol bleeding risk", and maxwatt again, is obviously attempting to downplay the clear and present :) danger of mega-dosing Resveratrol. Internal capillary leakage/bleeding can be symptomless for months or even years until it hits you with irreversable hemorrhagic stroke.

I have been taking about 1,500 mg RES day for about 3 years.
Excuse me while I get up off the pool of blood I left under my seat to go the the bathroom and use my hormone reduced penis and take a leak. ;)
You don't think growing old causes joint pain, fragile bones, arthritis, heart disease, reduced hormones?

#51 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:38 PM

People come here and slam Res. The funny thing is almost none of them use it or if they have, have used min. dosage of poor product. Either Resveratrol works and produces benefits or it doesnt. If a person slams it and hasnt even used it, I guess we can consider the source. Im glad to hear from people that have used it consistently, with result. I dont think my cappilaries are leaking yet, so thats a good sign, particularly when lifting weights 3 times a week, in my mid fifties and taking minimum medications. Good health is not an accident.

#52 bigt

• 4 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:14 PM

People come here and slam Res. The funny thing is almost none of them use it or if they have, have used min. dosage of poor product. Either Resveratrol works and produces benefits or it doesnt. If a person slams it and hasnt even used it, I guess we can consider the source. Im glad to hear from people that have used it consistently, with result. I dont think my cappilaries are leaking yet, so thats a good sign, particularly when lifting weights 3 times a week, in my mid fifties and taking minimum medications. Good health is not an accident.

I would like to share with the forum some of my experiences and results of taking reseveratrol over a relatively extended period of time. I have been taking reseveratrol since I first read about the drug in a New Scientist article back in early 2006. I started off with 100mg of 50% purity per day, because at that point in time it was difficult to get a bigger dose at a sensible price. About three years ago I increased the dose to 500 mg of 50% purity per day and stayed at this level until about 18 months ago when I switched manufacturers and started taking 700mg of 50% purity. During this period I also tried doubling the dose to 1.4 g of 50% purity per day, this however started to produce joint pain in my elbow and knee joint, so what I then did was switch to taking a second tablet every other day, this cured the joint pain and I haven't had any problems since. These have been the only adverse side-effects that I can report. The positive effects have been marked, I am in my late fifties, weigh 85kg and I am 6' 1.5'' tall. Firstly stamina and well-being have improved, I have always been fit, not smoked or drunk excessively and have been going to the gym three or four times a week for the last 20 years, prior to that I was a regular squash player and on a subjective scale I would say that my fitness level in the gym has improved by a decade or more. Secondly, I have suffered from the herpes virus and in the past have had to take acyclovir to effectively treat the virus, since taking reseveratrol the reoccurrence of the virus has been minimal and I have noted that there are some references to the effectiveness of reseveratrol on herpes in the literature. The third effect is a reduction in the number of colds and flu symptoms I have had over the last few years. I realise that most of these effects are subjective and some people could argue that the placebo effect is coming into play but I do believe that the effects are stronger than this and I will certainly continue to take the dosage of reseveratrol that I am presently on. I hope that this has been of some use and that progress will be made either by the Institute of some of the scientific investigations that are continuing into the effect of this interesting drug.

#53 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:34 PM

I would like to share with the forum some of my experiences and results of taking reseveratrol over a relatively extended period of time. I have been taking reseveratrol since I first read about the drug in a New Scientist article back in early 2006. I started off with 100mg of 50% purity per day, because at that point in time it was difficult to get a bigger dose at a sensible price. About three years ago I increased the dose to 500 mg of 50% purity per day and stayed at this level until about 18 months ago when I switched manufacturers and started taking 700mg of 50% purity. During this period I also tried doubling the dose to 1.4 g of 50% purity per day, this however started to produce joint pain in my elbow and knee joint, so what I then did was switch to taking a second tablet every other day, this cured the joint pain and I haven't had any problems since. These have been the only adverse side-effects that I can report. The positive effects have been marked, I am in my late fifties, weigh 85kg and I am 6' 1.5'' tall. Firstly stamina and well-being have improved, I have always been fit, not smoked or drunk excessively and have been going to the gym three or four times a week for the last 20 years, prior to that I was a regular squash player and on a subjective scale I would say that my fitness level in the gym has improved by a decade or more. Secondly, I have suffered from the herpes virus and in the past have had to take acyclovir to effectively treat the virus, since taking reseveratrol the reoccurrence of the virus has been minimal and I have noted that there are some references to the effectiveness of reseveratrol on herpes in the literature. The third effect is a reduction in the number of colds and flu symptoms I have had over the last few years. I realise that most of these effects are subjective and some people could argue that the placebo effect is coming into play but I do believe that the effects are stronger than this and I will certainly continue to take the dosage of reseveratrol that I am presently on. I hope that this has been of some use and that progress will be made either by the Institute of some of the scientific investigations that are continuing into the effect of this interesting drug.

There have been several reports of issues from folks exhibiting the same symptoms with pure products. However, The first thing I would do is attempt a pure product for a while to rule out emodin issues so I can be sure of the cause. Also, do you take a statin?

#54 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:45 PM

Thanks for the good news! Anecdotal reports like this, in which readers can relate and paralell their own experiences to, and the multitude of "pro" studies, are consistent with my own experiences. I havent had any major colds or flu either since I started using it regularly. I stopped all supps and exercise for a period, and felt an all around difference, albeit a slight one, once I re-started Resveratrol use I did notice increase in stamina and exercise exertion, well-being etc. Placebo, yes perhaps, but I am taking it 3 to 4 times weekly instead of every day. After 2 days of abstinence, I feel that dissipate somewhat. So this may very well be a worthwhile "placebo" to use regularly provided it causes no problems. I think that micronized, high purity is the best way to go, and like all supps should be cycled with brief "off" periods.

Edited by 2tender, 06 April 2010 - 11:56 PM.

#55 cpgrower

• 13 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:36 AM

Just upped the dose from 350 mg to 750 mg two days ago. First noticeable effects were dry mouth and mild tachycardia (my pulse went from mid 70's to mid 80's). Also, my sleep was more disturbed last two days (I take it at night). I can't pinpoint these to resveratrol 100% but timing of the syptoms coincide.
I think this goes to show that resveratrol dosage increase, even when modest, does create noticeable differences; which gives a hint on how powerful effects it can have on the body. Maybe my body is warning me to be careful.
With other supplements I use, such as silymarin, choline, burdock root, ellagic acid, etc., I've experienced no noticeable changes even when I tripled the amounts.
I think I'll step down to 500 mg and see what happens. I believe everyone has an "ideal" dosage, and I'm trying to find mine.

#56 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:12 PM

I took doses in that range and didnt experience the symptoms you described. Although I did notice the effects of coffee more.The other day I took my dose later in the day than usual and did have problems getting to sleep Ive found that between 250 and 500 mgs is just about right, Im aiming for optimal, economic dosing. I think that the most popular micronized 250 mg licap or the same amount of powder, once daily, or 4 to 5 days a week is adequate for most people. The rapid heartbeat you mentioned may not be attributable to Resveratrol, Ive never heard of that, but I would be mindfull of it. Perhaps taking it earlier in the day would be helpful in more aspects than one. I would be mindful of the burdock and silymarin, particularly burdock as I think it can be toxic.

#57 browser

• Validating/Suspended
  • 319 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:54 PM

Just upped the dose from 350 mg to 750 mg two days ago. First noticeable effects were dry mouth and mild tachycardia (my pulse went from mid 70's to mid 80's). Also, my sleep was more disturbed last two days (I take it at night). I can't pinpoint these to resveratrol 100% but timing of the syptoms coincide.
I think this goes to show that resveratrol dosage increase, even when modest, does create noticeable differences; which gives a hint on how powerful effects it can have on the body. Maybe my body is warning me to be careful.
With other supplements I use, such as silymarin, choline, burdock root, ellagic acid, etc., I've experienced no noticeable changes even when I tripled the amounts.
I think I'll step down to 500 mg and see what happens. I believe everyone has an "ideal" dosage, and I'm trying to find mine.

I am now taking 15 grams of Resveratrol in an emulsion of coconut oil, grapefruit juice, Bioperine, sodium ascorbate, aspirin, Vitamin E and 12.5 grams Curcumin which has been processed long and hard enough to form nano-drops of oil in the emusions, based on patents I've read. 20 minutes before taking the emulsion I take 10 mg. Bioperine and two adult aspirins with grapefruit juice. I take another aspirin and another Bioperine with the emulsion. I had some real problems with Quercetin and Resveratrol but since I dropped off the Quercetin, I'm having nothing but good effects from what should be highly available Resveratrol and Curcumin. I sleep like a teenager, I feel very good, my mood is excellent. My prostate cancer, which appears to have been slowly growing in me for 10-14 years and giving me very painful symptoms all during that time, is now asymptomatic. In a few days I up the amount of Resveratrol to 20 grams.

Oh yes. I'm also using Resveratrol buccally from arising to Noon. I'm waiting for my Resveratrol lozenges to arrive in a week. I know the power of buccal delivery of Resveratrol and having lozenges to suck on instead of just coating my cheeks and gums with Resveratrol is exciting.

With me, it appears the more you take, the less side effects. Or, I've habituated to the effects of the Resveratrol.

#58 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:35 AM

I am now taking 15 grams of Resveratrol in an emulsion of coconut oil, grapefruit juice, Bioperine, sodium ascorbate, aspirin, Vitamin E and 12.5 grams Curcumin which has been processed long and hard enough to form nano-drops of oil in the emusions, based on patents I've read. 20 minutes before taking the emulsion I take 10 mg. Bioperine and two adult aspirins with grapefruit juice. I take another aspirin and another Bioperine with the emulsion. I had some real problems with Quercetin and Resveratrol but since I dropped off the Quercetin, I'm having nothing but good effects from what should be highly available Resveratrol and Curcumin. I sleep like a teenager, I feel very good, my mood is excellent. My prostate cancer, which appears to have been slowly growing in me for 10-14 years and giving me very painful symptoms all during that time, is now asymptomatic. In a few days I up the amount of Resveratrol to 20 grams.

Oh yes. I'm also using Resveratrol buccally from arising to Noon. I'm waiting for my Resveratrol lozenges to arrive in a week. I know the power of buccal delivery of Resveratrol and having lozenges to suck on instead of just coating my cheeks and gums with Resveratrol is exciting.

With me, it appears the more you take, the less side effects. Or, I've habituated to the effects of the Resveratrol.

I am glad that removing quercetin from your regimen eliminated your adverse symptoms.

Twenty grams of resveratrol approaches voodoo black magic. The most I've heard of someone taking (other than an acute dose,) is 7 grams a day. There was a rodent study that showed kidney lesions appearing at a dose that might be the human equivalent of 15 grams a day, but it took three times as much before any deaths were noted. You are entering uncharted territory. Do be careful my friend.

#59 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:42 AM

Actually the first link is google search for "resveratrol bleeding risk", and maxwatt again, is obviously attempting to downplay the clear and present :) danger of mega-dosing Resveratrol. Internal capillary leakage/bleeding can be symptomless for months or even years until it hits you with irreversable hemorrhagic stroke.

I have been taking about 1,500 mg RES day for about 3 years.
Excuse me while I get up off the pool of blood I left under my seat to go the the bathroom and use my hormone reduced penis and take a leak. ;)
You don't think growing old causes joint pain, fragile bones, arthritis, heart disease, reduced hormones?

I've also been taking between 1000 and 1500mg for quite a while.
Definitely increases endurance. Despite taking both this and NAC
no heart issues here. I'm not buying the scare mongering. I use TRES topically
as well dissolved in coconut oil. I like the results of alternating that with
Niacinamide for topical use. Of course I also take multi gram doeses of vitamin C,
CoQ10 and lots of other things. The fear of vitamins campaigns come and go.
I continue to fare much better than my non supplementing peers -- been at it
for more than 20 years now. So, um, yeah....

Edited by zorba990, 09 April 2010 - 02:48 AM.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 cpgrower

• 13 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:09 PM

Maybe this is worth a new topic, but here goes:
I'm working around an idea which I wanted to share with you for opinions. We all know the numerous health claims of wine despite the virtual non-bioavailability of resveratrol and other plant compounds in it. Hence, many believe that the health benefits of wine come from the strong synergistic and compounding effect of phenols and plant components in it. So far, this is basic info.
I wrote this idea before briefly, but this makes me think that rather than taking resv alone, why not combine it with the main flavanoids and non-flavanoids found in wine such as quercetin, rutin, lutein, anthocyanins, catechins and acetic acid (main acid source). All of these are sold individually as extracts (and the last one is vinegar). So having a combination of these extracts, one would be basically drinking hundreds of bottles worth of of wine concentrate with nil alcohol content, rather than just one component. I may add a glass of wine or two with it just in case to fortify the effects and add some ethanol.
Does this sound far off or am I on to something? Opinions welcome...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users