• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Please Help Undo the Skin Damage! (Pics)

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#31 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:39 AM

What does the regimen above look like to you?

It looks like she has a high profit margin on skinceuticals products...

#32 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:39 AM

Fire your esthetician. Order the tretinoin from allday. Use it the right way.
http://skinacea.com/...ds/useright.htm

Make your own C serum and save $$
http://www.skincaret...html#post162765

Order this sunscreen.
http://www.purplepra...group=SunScreen

Edited by mustardseed41, 12 May 2010 - 05:39 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Yelena

• Topic Starter
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:58 AM

Whenever you recommend to do or not to do something, can you please explain why? I am still learning, and need to understand the reasoning behind your advice, otherwise it's not helpful! :|? (I'm doing my best to educate myself on all this skin care stuff and want to make an informed decision).

So, the cost aside, what exactly is wrong with that regimen, or the products?

Edited by Yelena, 12 May 2010 - 06:33 AM.

#34 Eva Victoria

• 887 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:16 PM

Hello everyone,

I just finished exploring all the 22 pages of this forum (took me several days), and I've learned so much! (especially from Fredrik and Eva)

I never really had great skin, and it's been getting worse every year. I've never used sunscreen in my life, picked at my skin a lot, smoked and used hot water to wash my face.

As a result, at the age of 30, I now have:

- photodamage all over my face, but especially on my forehead
- very poor tone and texture, "tired" looking skin
- porous and very congested skin (tons of blackheads all over my face, which sometimes become infected, but not deep)
- some sagging at the cheeks and naso-labial folds
- constant itchy "bumps" that look like rash/hives (but usually there's a comedone inside)
- lines on my forehead, naso-labial lines, and some crows feet at rest
- skin feels like that of a grandma - no firmness, kind of loose
- scarring from picking (not deep, but still visible)
- bumpy and rough to the touch
- a lot of dead cells build-up

My skin looks worse in real life than in these photos (the lighting makes it look better/fresher here - in reality it looks grayer, older and more tired):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Eye at rest - some lines and crows feet

Posted Image
Eye creases when laughing/smiling

Posted Image

For the past 2 years, I washed my face only once a week (I exfoliated my skin at the same time - using a washcloth in a shower, and then moisturized it with an herbal oil blend). I was hoping that that would give rest to my skin and let it heal. I was also hoping that my pores would clear up (because I wasn't clogging them up with products every day). Well, it took me 2 years to realize that this "regimen" doesn't work, so here I am, asking for help.

Please help me create a system/regimen to undo the damage/restore, protect and prevent my skin from aging further. I've already found a place online where I can order the sunscreens recommended by Eva and Fredrik. Other than that, I don't know what I should do/use: retinoids, niacinamide cream, acids, etc?

My skin makes my life miserable, I feel like a freak, and very self-conscious. I always compare myself to other girls my age, and I know I look much older than them.

Eva and Fredrik, what would you do if this was your skin? Please help!

Sorry for the late answer, Yelena. I have been moving in the past month or so hence the delay.

It looks like you have sensitive skin with normal to moderate sun damage (for your age).
I would definitely recommend sun avoidance for at least the next 5 years. It means that you go out wearing a high SPF sunscreen, hat with broad rim, sunglasses (all other body parts are covered up) and spend time outside only when it is strictly necessary.
I would recommend using a serum in the morning that contains fresh L-Ascorbic Acid in (at least) 5% concentration, later you can move up to 10%. Apply a EU sunscreen generously afterward. (Bioderma, LRP, Avene). Or any sunscreen that contain micro ZnO higher than 15% concentration.

In the evening: Retin-A 0.05%. Start with 1-2 times a week and gradually move up to using it every evening. This process should take about 6 months for less irritation and better tolerance.
Use a moisturizer when and where needed but wait at least 20 min after the application of Retin-A.

I would not use any other actives (Salicilic Acid, Azelaic Acid or any AHAs), peeling agents etc. because of your sensitive skin.
It is very important to let your skin recover and give it time and the possibility to do so on its own. And this takes time. Unfortunately there is no quick fix even though it is easy to fall for clever advertising of "hope in a jar".
Often it cn take 3-5 years (even with the help of sun avoidance, religious use of sunscreen and Rertin-A).

#35 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:15 AM

I then asked about CE Ferulic, but she said it would break me out

it can happen i guess because of the E in there, I think. but I had the worst acne in high school!, I mean, it was BAAAAAAAAD! everywhere! and 99% of creams made me break out even over the last few years after my acne calmed down. THe CE Ferulic is one of only a very small number of serums/cream for my face that doesn't break me out. But the one you have is still pretty good anyway..

#36 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:07 PM

I would definitely recommend sun avoidance for at least the next 5 years. It means that you go out wearing a high SPF sunscreen, hat with broad rim, sunglasses (all other body parts are covered up) and spend time outside only when it is strictly necessary.

Seriously?

Nothing wrong with a good skin care regimen, but you do realize that if we are to make it to longevity escape velocity, we will also be able to fix sun damage to the skin? And if we are not going to make it, is a few wrinkles really worth staying inside your whole life?

#37 Eva Victoria

• 887 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:32 PM

Seriously?

Nothing wrong with a good skin care regimen, but you do realize that if we are to make it to longevity escape velocity, we will also be able to fix sun damage to the skin? And if we are not going to make it, is a few wrinkles really worth staying inside your whole life?

Well, that is up to every one of us how we spend our life, isn't it? :)

I personally do not believe that it will be possible to "fix" sun damage. Prevention is the key even though it sounds harsh.
I also believe in balance in life. What you do will always have consequences. If you seek the gorgeous tan when you are young (or at any age) you will have to pay for it later. With prune-like wrinkled, matte lifeless skin.
But the good news is that our skin is made in such a way that it can actually repair itself (almost fully, depending on the degree of the damage of course). But it needs time and the possibility to do so.

I also do understand people who like to lay in the sun esp. after the long winters of Scandinavia. Unfortunately often they are not really aware of the consequences of such a lovely leisure on the long run.
However, when one knows what one is doing and still continue it than it is up to one of us what our priorities are in life.

#38 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:00 PM

"To each their own" is what I always say, so I agree with you of course. But if you don't believe it will be possible to fix sun damage -- that encompasses everything from making the skin renew itself to transplanting your brain to a cyborg -- then why all the effort?

#39 Eva Victoria

• 887 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:30 PM

"To each their own" is what I always say, so I agree with you of course. But if you don't believe it will be possible to fix sun damage -- that encompasses everything from making the skin renew itself to transplanting your brain to a cyborg -- then why all the effort?

Because I still believe in prevention :)
And sunscreen is a big part of it. And today's sunscreens are not so elegant and can be improved enormously! And there are new ingredients that can do all this: contributing to the film forming and SPF, UVA protection of the sunscreen while making it extremely pleasant to wear and even make the skin look better! :) That is what I call progress :)

#40 goatz

• 91 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:23 PM

I then asked about CE Ferulic, but she said it would break me out

it can happen i guess because of the E in there, I think. but I had the worst acne in high school!, I mean, it was BAAAAAAAAD! everywhere! and 99% of creams made me break out even over the last few years after my acne calmed down. THe CE Ferulic is one of only a very small number of serums/cream for my face that doesn't break me out. But the one you have is still pretty good anyway..

Ferulic CE gives me terrible blackheads on my nose. Searching google shows this is a common problem. I use Clinique Continuous rescue cream after the recommendations from Eva and find no cosmetic problems at all, although I am concerned I may not be using enough anti-ox. What absorbic Acid serum product would you recommend Eva ? Or do you think the Clinique cream is enough?

#41 GhostBuster

• 107 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:19 PM

Seriously?

5 years of complete sun avoidance...that seems a bit of overkill to me also. Or at least it would be nice to have references/studies, that it is possible to fix the skin following that protocol, if one doesnt wanna make a big leap of faith here.

#42 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:46 PM

Eva said sun avoidance. You said "complete" avoidance. Big difference.

#43 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:24 PM

Well, spending time outside "only when strictly necessary" sounds pretty complete to me. I don't think picnics in the park are allowed. Running out of a burning building maybe.

#44 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:02 AM

Well, spending time outside "only when strictly necessary" sounds pretty complete to me. I don't think picnics in the park are allowed. Running out of a burning building maybe.

They are but after dark. What's wrong with a summer's night picnic?

#45 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:53 AM

Nothing - what's wrong with your reading comprehension?

#46 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 12:57 PM

Nothing - what's wrong with your reading comprehension?

Rhetorical question my darling arrogant cretin.

#47 torrential

• 20 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:11 PM

Seriously?

+1 JLL, although I wouldn't be surprised if when the future finally gets here an ounce of prevention is still worth a pound of cure. Simply protecting one's face from the effects of UV via sunscreen + hats while taking steps to repair damage and reduce wrinkles via retinoids is one thing. Heliophobia and living one's life in shadow is something else altogether. I like the sun and love the way sunlight feels on my skin, but I do take steps to protect my face and avoid sunburn elsewhere.

#48 klodde

• 26 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:52 PM

To remove your wrinkles and make your skin look younger you have to buy some nutrients that builds and rejuvenates skin.

Gelatin builds collagen and is cheaper than "collagen" powder which actually is gelatin. Makes you very sleepy, so take at bedtime. At a tbsp a day it took about a month to eliminate 90% of my wrinkles. I don't use it anymore, just hyaluronic acid.

Hyaluronic acid with chondroitin sulfate will remove the saggyness and make your skin look beautiful. Hyaluronic acid is the best way to make your skin look younger. If you are just going to buy one supplement/cream/lotion etc it have to be Hyaluronic acid!! I get best results when chondroitin is added. Takes a few days to see results.

Zinc. From my personal experience, about 50-60 mg a day will remove scars and rejuvenate the skin. The skin will almost look to good! Seems like most people(women) don't know this?! It works by moving vitamin A from the liver to the skin.
Don't forget Vitamin A!

Alpha lipoic acid. It rejuvenates the skin. It personally don't care much for it since it causes whitening of the skin. I like some color in the face.

Vitamin C because all above works so much better with it.

Most people think I'm at least 10 years younger. It took about two months to make this transformation.

I'd love to see some pictures of you after this regimen!!

Some links:

http://www.iherb.com...-454-g/400?at=0 Gelatin from pig is actually better.
http://www.iherb.com...sules/4457?at=0

Edited by Semisvensk, 29 May 2010 - 06:54 PM.

• like x 1

#49 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:15 AM

I wanted to test something when i started the vitamin C serum.... Where I work there is a mirror in the toilet and a fluorescent light, which seems to make everything 10 x worse!! I used to hate looking into that mirror because my skin always looked bad, like all my old acne would stand out so much, my skin looked blotchy and just not clear how most other peoples skin looked. So I said to myself that I would not look in this mirror for 6 months to judge whether the vitamin C serum had any effect. The other day I finally thought, lets look now and see the difference, I wasn't expecting a massive improvement...

I looked and was completely shocked, For the first time in 4 YEARS that i've worked in there i am comfortable looking into that mirror and my skin looks so damn clear and healthy it's AMAZING! I almost had some tears in my eyes i was that happy with the results... i went back upstairs, back to work with a huge smile on my face xD From that day my confidence has increased so much more!

That is my experience so far with skinceuticals CE ferulic. I had very bad acne as a teen and the marks remained even 5 - 7 years AFTER the really bad acne stoppped. Seemed like I was no only aging slowly (by how old i look) but the red marks were also taking a huge amount of time to fade.

Vitamin C has faded all my red acne marks, eliminated some fine lines under my eye ttotally. It has give me a lovely glow (even better than before). My skin is still not flawless, but im getting so much closer now!

Edited by Matt, 30 May 2010 - 02:18 AM.

#50 klodde

• 26 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 05:18 PM

Forgot to mention Vitamin D3. 5000 iu a day was also helpful.

#51 Myka

• 10 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:05 AM

To remove your wrinkles and make your skin look younger you have to buy some nutrients that builds and rejuvenates skin.

Gelatin builds collagen and is cheaper than "collagen" powder which actually is gelatin. Makes you very sleepy, so take at bedtime. At a tbsp a day it took about a month to eliminate 90% of my wrinkles. I don't use it anymore, just hyaluronic acid.

Hyaluronic acid with chondroitin sulfate will remove the saggyness and make your skin look beautiful. Hyaluronic acid is the best way to make your skin look younger. If you are just going to buy one supplement/cream/lotion etc it have to be Hyaluronic acid!! I get best results when chondroitin is added. Takes a few days to see results.

Most people think I'm at least 10 years younger. It took about two months to make this transformation.

This sounds very impressive. Can I ask your age?

#52 klodde

• 26 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:13 PM

I also supplement with 8 grams fish oil a day. I guess that also helps. Gelatin and hyaluronic acid with chondroitin makes a really big difference, though. About 100 mg zinc will make your face look really good the following day, but is a too high maintenance dose. In my opinion it's a lot more important what you put in your mouth than on your face. You probably never have to buy a cream/lotion if you stick with hyaluronic acid/vitamin A, C, D and zinc. If you can get it from food is probably even better. So...nutrients...not lotion!

Zinc is also good for shave cuts. Bleeding stops quicker and also wound healing is quicker. Blod clotting from too high a dose zinc could be a problem for some, though. Do you own 'research' before heading to the pharmacist!

Edited by Semisvensk, 02 June 2010 - 07:46 PM.

#53 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:27 PM

You probably never have to buy a cream/lotion if you stick with hyaluronic acid/vitamin A, C, D and zinc.

Not true, although i'm almost 26 and receltly people think im only 16, my acne red marks never went away until i started vitamin C serum (i've been eating healthy diet since i was 18)

#54 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:36 PM

You probably never have to buy a cream/lotion if you stick with hyaluronic acid/vitamin A, C, D and zinc. I

Do you use sunscreen?

#55 klodde

• 26 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:41 PM

You probably never have to buy a cream/lotion if you stick with hyaluronic acid/vitamin A, C, D and zinc.

Not true, although i'm almost 26 and receltly people think im only 16, my acne red marks never went away until i started vitamin C serum (i've been eating healthy diet since i was 18)

I think most people don't need lotions and serums, but some will.

Also avoiding stress and junk food will help keep the wrinkles away: 'In rats, loss of collagen from skin, caused by cortisol, is ten times greater than loss from any other tissue.' <--- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisol
I believe junk food is the most severe stressor in the west.

@mustardseed41: No. I think the small increase in dna damage from the sun is repaired quite easily by the right nutrients. Vitamin C for example: http://www.scientifi...l-vitamin-boost

Some nutrients like omega-3 actually acts like low grade suncreen.
I also gradually increase the time spent in the sun to avoid sunburns. I guess sunburns are really bad for you.

Edited by Semisvensk, 03 June 2010 - 05:45 PM.

#56 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:10 PM

@mustardseed41: No. I think the small increase in dna damage from the sun is repaired quite easily by the right nutrients. Vitamin C for example: http://www.scientifi...l-vitamin-boost

Your in serious denial dude. I suggest further research. Nevermind.....age your skin.

#57 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:11 PM

Eating a Taco Bell burrito is said to be more stressful than witnessing a loved one's death by torture.

In the east, however, the most severe stressor is bad music videos.

#58 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:34 PM

LMAO

#59 MoodyBlue

• 144 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:06 AM

I haven't had time to read all of the posts in this topic, so I'll just let you know that when I was looking into supplemental iodine I noticed on some forums on skin disorders that a lot of the people claimed to have great success by using topical iodine. Here's one relevant site: http://www.earthclin...ies/iodine.html

#60 klodde

• 26 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:55 PM

Eating a Taco Bell burrito is said to be more stressful than witnessing a loved one's death by torture.

In the east, however, the most severe stressor is bad music videos.

English is not my native language, so I think I was a bit unclear. Since most people in the west lead a comfortable life without any real stress like " witnessing a loved one's death by torture", the stress people feel is'nt "real" stress, but lack of antioxidants, nutrients etc. They rather feel stressed without any serious stressor.
I was very easily stressed until I took interest in diet. Since adding omega-3 etc and cutting the junk food I rarely feel stressed.

I rather have a slap in the face than a happy meal. Not kidding.

Edited by Semisvensk, 04 June 2010 - 08:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users