• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Please Help Undo the Skin Damage! (Pics)

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 klodde

• 26 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:10 PM

@mustardseed41: No. I think the small increase in dna damage from the sun is repaired quite easily by the right nutrients. Vitamin C for example: http://www.scientifi...l-vitamin-boost

Your in serious denial dude. I suggest further research. Nevermind.....age your skin.

Yeah, I know about the research that says rays from the sun is pure evil. I'm just saying I'm not so sure about that. That's my personal opinion.

Vitamin D3 is supposed to be manufactured in the skin when UVB hits it. Vitamin D3 is supposed to protect you from skin cancer and do all sorts of good like regulating more than 1000 genes. To me at least UVB in small doses seems to do some very good things. Supplementing vitamin d3 is the second best thing to do.

I also suggest further "research", since the available research is'nt carved in stone.

Edited by Semisvensk, 04 June 2010 - 08:36 PM.

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#62 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:21 AM

@mustardseed41: No. I think the small increase in dna damage from the sun is repaired quite easily by the right nutrients. Vitamin C for example: http://www.scientifi...l-vitamin-boost

Your in serious denial dude. I suggest further research. Nevermind.....age your skin.

Vitamin D3 is supposed to be manufactured in the skin when UVB hits it. Vitamin D3 is supposed to protect you from skin cancer and do all sorts of good like regulating more than 1000 genes. To me at least UVB in small doses seems to do some very good things. Supplementing vitamin d3 is the second best thing to do.

What's wrong with supplemental vitamin-d my dear cretin? Thank you also for providing all that interesting medical research that supports your opinion. I really hate it when morons throw their worthless opinions around the internet as if they mean actually mean something so I'm glad you haven't done that here! Good on you!

The quality of this forum improves each day thanks to people like you. For a while I was worried that the very stupid of the internet would flood this place if we promoted more heavily. Thankfully, those fears were obviously misplaced.
  • dislike x 3
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 klodde

• 26 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:58 AM

What's wrong with supplemental vitamin-d my dear cretin? Thank you also for providing all that interesting medical research that supports your opinion. I really hate it when morons throw their worthless opinions around the internet as if they mean actually mean something so I'm glad you haven't done that here! Good on you!

The quality of this forum improves each day thanks to people like you. For a while I was worried that the very stupid of the internet would flood this place if we promoted more heavily. Thankfully, those fears were obviously misplaced.

My opinion is that we don't know much about the human body. In the 60's scientists believed that they knew 40% of the brain's functions. In 2000 they had adjusted that figure to 20%. The link I provided does not support my opinion. The point with the link was that scientist are discovering new things every day about nutrients. With right amount/formula I believe vitamins/minerals can do wonders. I mean after researching HIV for so many years the best that they came up with was selenium. Selenium has been proven to be many times better than any HIV drug.

There's not enough research on vitamins and minerals because it can't be patented and sold with a hefty price tag which would grant further research.

With so many people getting alzheimers, diabetes and all kinds of degenerative diseases there have to be some basic things missing in the diet. And I believe all the junk food is putting a lot of stress on the body. People look old nowadays even before 30. Gray hair saggy skin etc.

I wrote: "Supplementing vitamin d3 is the second best thing to do." The body regulates vitamin d levels when it's manufactured in the skin, but not when taken orally. Also it's just not vitamin d that's produced in the skin.

Pardon if I expressed myself clumsily, but english is not my native language.

Edited by Semisvensk, 05 June 2010 - 10:24 AM.

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#64 klodde

• 26 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:35 AM

I also read somewhere that quercetin stimulates stem cell production. Obviously vitamin c helps with maturation with of stem cells so it is'nt too far stretched to say that nutrients probably can restore your skin to a more youthful appearance. More nutrients of the right kind more stem cells?

When I write "think" then I mean that there is a possibility.

Edited by Semisvensk, 05 June 2010 - 11:48 AM.

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#65 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:57 AM

Pro-peel:

2. Glycolic Acid peel: 30%. Do this once every two weeks.
3. Salicylic Acid wash: 2%. Use this once every second day until your acne starts to improve.

@Niner: what results did you get from the glycolic acid peels? Do you have to do them every 2 weeks until you see improvement, or for the rest of your life?

The first one I did was 20%, if I remember correctly. I was badly in need of exfoliation at the time, and the first peel gave me the most noticeable results. As I recall, the first thing I noticed was that my pores were smaller and my skin was smoother. I repeated them once a month, increasing the percentage until it was around 70%, over the course of half a year or so. These were done by my dermatologist. In the states, you can get a peel in a salon using up to 30% (I think that was it), but not beyond that; higher concentrations have to be done by an MD. With subsequent peels, the improvement was more gradual. In fact, it didn't seem like much improvement was happening at all, so I decided to stop. This was a number of years ago. I think that it probably did more for me than I realized, in that the skin on my face seems to be in better shape than the skin on other parts of my body. Maybe I should start jumping into a vat of glycolic acid...

The nurses in my dermatologist's office seemed to be quite sold on glycolic acid, and I have to say, their skin looked really great ... my dermatologist has never been that big on retinoids, however she really likes glycolic acid.

Anti-peel:

I would not use any other actives (Salicilic Acid, Azelaic Acid or any AHAs), peeling agents etc. because of your sensitive skin.

I am confused. Do I peel a few times then start retinoids? Or do I go straight to retinoids sans peeling? Or does it depend on the condition of my skin? My skin is pretty normal, maybe tilted towards sensitive end of the spectrum, slightly oily, and I am 26yr old male with a lifetime of moderate sun exposure (I live in Australia) but no noticeable damage or wrinkles (at least to my eyes!). I had a girl tell me I had good skin the other night but it was dark. My nose develops blackheads in every pore if I don't stay ontop of it.

This is a good thread and I don't think it is too off-topic as it resolves this outstanding discrepancy between the resident experts...
  • like x 1

#66 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:11 AM

Pro-peel:

Anti-peel:

I am confused. Do I peel a few times then start retinoids? Or do I go straight to retinoids sans peeling? Or does it depend on the condition of my skin? My skin is pretty normal, maybe tilted towards sensitive end of the spectrum, slightly oily, and I am 26yr old male with a lifetime of moderate sun exposure (I live in Australia) but no noticeable damage or wrinkles (at least to my eyes!). I had a girl tell me I had good skin the other night but it was dark. My nose develops blackheads in every pore if I don't stay ontop of it.

This is a good thread and I don't think it is too off-topic as it resolves this outstanding discrepancy between the resident experts...

Haha, I'm no expert, if it was your intention to include me in that assessment. Eva is definitely more knowledgeable. If Elena's skin was really quite sensitive I can see how using acids would be a catastrophe, especially considering she had moderately serious acne. Otherwise though, they do what they're purported to quite well.

#67 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:46 AM

I'm not a skin care expert either, but I wouldn't peel and use retinoids at the same time, or very close together. They have some overlapping effects, although retinoids are more all-encompassing, acting at a cellular signaling level, while AHAs are more brute force. Sensitive skin might have a problem with either of them. I would probably get acclimated to retinoids first, since that's the trickier one to master. Later, if you feel like you need a peel, you could try a mild one, perhaps on a break from the retinoid. After using retinoids for a while you might decide you don't need a peel, or depending on how it's going with the retinoid, you might feel like you can't handle a peel. (That might mean you're overdoing it with the retinoid.)

#68 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:58 PM

Haha, I'm no expert...

I'm not a skin care expert either...

Haha thanks, you guys are MY experts ;) Outside of a specific skin condition I would take your advices (inc this subforum) over any dermatologist/skin expert any day of the week. I met a beautician last night and straight away started quizzing her about skin care bringing up retinoids (she had FLAWLESS skin) "I'm not all that familiar with them ... I am not a fan".

I will start experiment with them shortly!

#69 cathological

• 112 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 04:34 AM

You're one cretinous cretin, oh the cretinism!
  • dislike x 1

#70 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:22 AM

You're one cretinous cretin, oh the cretinism!

"Ben - Aus, on 05 June 2010 - 01:21 PM, said:"

This was six months ago fool. Let it go and move on with your life.
  • dislike x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users