• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

What do you think of the new design?

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think of the new design? (106 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of the new design?

1. I like it (55 votes [51.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 51.89%

2. I'll have to get used to it (34 votes [32.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.08%

3. I don't like it (17 votes [16.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.04%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Decimus

• 100 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:07 AM

I like most of it but, I don't understand why members are rated on this site and this information is prominently displayed like a high school popularity contest. There are serious people who come on here...scientists, donors...who are looking to participate and not get pegged down because someone disagrees with their favorite brand of resvertrol or participate in a format that is quite frankly at least ostensibly childish in nature. I think the rating system is extrememly sophmoric and very bad for business. The topic status symbols on the side with 8 different colors is a distracting eye sore...very busy. The design as a whole looks much better though...nice and up-to-date. Nice job. Some slight modifications would be great.

#62 Decimus

• 100 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:19 AM

I want to add that giving people high "reputation" scores also creates hierarchical influnece which will lend weight to someone's argument, where this of all places, a place of science, should be neutral. An argument needs to stand on its own merits.
  • like x 1

#63 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:35 PM

Just popped in.
Knee-jerk reaction reaction is I don't like it but I voted "I'll have to get used to it"; wishy-washy colours reduce the crisp edges of boxes and it makes me feel like my eyes are foggy. Too much default space assigned for each post perhaps due to blank signiture spaces, which leads to super long pages to scroll down, the effects of which are exacerbated by the removal of the "top" button.
Also Topics have either been deleted from member profiles or mine were created before a pre-decided cut-off point so were not migrated.
BUT...
I am change averse (in the short term, ie I always initially think WTF and focus on the negative before reaching a more informed opinion) and the aesthetics are not as important as the ergonomics, the pros and cons of which will take a while to emerge and I whole-heartedly applaud the efforts of volunteers putting their own time and intellect into this.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#64 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:53 PM

I want to add that giving people high &quot;reputation&quot; scores also creates hierarchical influnece which will lend weight to someone's argument, where this of all places, a place of science, should be neutral.  An argument needs to stand on its own merits.<br />

True, so i'd prefer the voting to apply to the individual post, like they to at http://www.stackoverflow.com.

#65 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:08 PM

I'm also having some mixed feelings about the way the voting/reputation is implemented.

On one hand, I do really like the ability to uprate individual posts. Seems like it recognizes and encourages more thoughtful discussion, and draws attention to what people think are good posts. In theory, the ability to downrate has potential to highlight misinforming or poorly reasoned posts as such, but very few people are going to use it that way. It's going to be employed mostly as a way to say "I disagree with this," and not that the post is a poor contribution to the discussion. The possibility of only allowing uprating has occurred to me.

And reputation is so boldly displayed, it's the first thing I notice on literally every post I read. My eye can't help but be drawn to it. Can't it stay somewhere on the profile page, like the user star rating? Most people here are quite capable of forming opinions about members' contributions, without constantly being made aware of what their general popularity is.
  • like x 1

#66 babcock

• 299 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:22 PM

And reputation is so boldly displayed, it's the first thing I notice on literally every post I read. My eye can't help but be drawn to it. Can't it stay somewhere on the profile page, like the user star rating? Most people here are quite capable of forming opinions about members' contributions, without constantly being made aware of what their general popularity is.

Seconded, or just make it the same size as the text under the user avatar, just throw it in with location, posts, etc.

I like the up rating/down rating posts but there is always the opportunity for abuse.

#67 chris w

• 740 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:51 PM

Yeah, in some accidents the rating might make sense - like for ex in nootropics when a guy tells you to take some dosage of something to fight a problem you're having, it's worth to know anything about his credibility in those things, but in the more political parts it might eventually go down to libertarian and leftist blocks giving props among each other I'm affraid, like I'm seeing some people who I disagree with being in the red zone while they don't deserve to be IMO because are able to state their arguments coherently and rationally.

Edited by chris w, 23 June 2010 - 06:55 PM.

#68 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:10 PM

When you go to the "view new content" button, (aka active topics) it now has the very handy option of letting you choose from tabs that show other new things like calendar, blog, etc... I have recently updated the calendar, although I notice when I view the "view new content" tab for calendar, it says there is no new content.

I also notice that even though Im signed in, the google ad still appears with the note that I can eliminate google ads if I join as a member.

Im just adding these things here so they are noted.

Does anybody here want to volunteer to draw up a list of all the bugs and suggestions listed in this whole topic? We can then more easily go over them all at an upcoming meeting.

For proponents of the signature staying out, If you click on the drop list under your name next to your avatar at the top of the forum, and go to "My settings" then go to the "forums" tab under "your options" youll see a setting that allows you to not have to view signatures. That may be the solution, or if there are enough people that dont want it we may just want to keep them dissabled.

#69 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:42 PM

I can't see some older attachments.

Say the one in this post:
http://www.imminst.o...ndpost&p=116185
  • like x 1

#70 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:39 AM

STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Just to stress that the next few days and probably weeks will continue to see quite a few changes to the forums.
Our first priority was to conduct the upgrade swiftly to minimise downtime, but obviously, there are quite a few loose ends that will take time to resolve.

Any issues or suggestions, please post them in the 'forum suggestions' subforum ONE TOPIC PER ISSUE.
  • like x 1

#71 gregandbeaker

• 184 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:11 AM

I like it, especially the mobile interface. I don't generally think that reputation systems have much value on these message boards, but it will certainly be interesting to see how it plays out in the sometimes contentious nutrition forums!

#72 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:09 AM

The colors are kinda bright for my tastes but I like the design.

Actually I take back the comment about the colors. The forum is actually very nice and all the extra functions are great!!!

#73 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:17 AM

I like the suggestion to have voting apply to posts, that way quality would be the focus and it would not be one person. We all know that even the most brilliant person says daft things at times ;)

#74 mpe

• Guest, F@H
  • 275 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:54 AM

Where is the" active topics"?
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#75 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:35 PM

Where is the" active topics"?

There's a link to "Today's active content" at the very bottom of the main forum page, above the active users. Or click the link in this post.

#76 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:30 PM

At the top left of the Forum there is a "view new content" link, (just black on white, no pronounced button design--it looks like print till you scroll over it). It is right next to Forum Rules.

#77 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:30 PM

Whats with the nasty floating "immortality institute" icon. It is REALLY irritating!!!

Please get rid of it or attach it to something.
  • like x 1

#78 Reno

• 584 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:41 AM

My monitor is a 19" standard size screen. Even though I dearly love this forum, adding the logo along the left side, and the information addons on the right side has really squeezed the actual forum for me. It would be nice to not have stuff in both margins. Maybe you could put the logo on the right with everything else.

Edited by Reno, 25 June 2010 - 04:42 AM.

#79 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:50 AM

I'm pretty sure that the logo is just for testing purposes, but Reno makes a good point. The actual content of the forums is being squeezed too much. I hope that we don't create any sidebars; we've already lost too much space as it is. Not very many of us are using giant high resolution devices. Most of us have typical monitors, smaller laptops/netbooks, or handhelds, and things are getting tight.

#80 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:39 AM

Agreed. I have a pretty small monitor, and use a plugin to display tabs in a vertical bar (lets me have 100s instead of half a dozen). Right now, the forum text only spans about half of my screen. Would appreciate not having more items on the sides.

Edited by chrono, 25 June 2010 - 05:48 AM.

#81 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:57 AM

The rating system would be great if the rating for a person was unique to the thread, Forum, or subject based in some way...

Some people's knowledge in a particular subject should be acknowledged, but reputation in one subject or thread certainly doesn't make the person a smarty for all threads. Same for the negative reputation, a person like say Micheal who is a CR nut, should have his good reputation for a CR thread... but if folks on another thread think he is bashing a certain diet, vitamin, etc and they vote him down into the depths of hell, that should not be reflected in the CR threads were he provided meaningful information.

That reputation thingy is a tough one.

Oh, and although I have to get used to the new system, I love love love it for my phone, compared to the old forum.

A
  • like x 1

#82 Blue

• 1,104 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:57 PM

The floating logo is extremely annoying. Since it does not move when scrolling your sight perception, which is very good at detecting and following small sudden relative movements which could be something dangerous, is involuntarily drawn to it during the very frequent act of scrolling. Breaking your attention and concentration. Now I understand the with to lead forum visitors to the institute but I think this is likely to cause great irritation and badwill in many people. Not many websites dare have such intrusive advertising. Better would be to have something more traditional, say, an IM banner between every forum message which would be less exasperating.
  • like x 1

#83 James Cain

• Guest, F@H
  • 229 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:16 PM

I REALLY like the automatic mobile (iPhone) forum platform. I discovered it last night and it's pretty awesome!

Edited by James Cain, 25 June 2010 - 05:17 PM.

#84 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:37 PM

I actually like the reputation system and I think, despite the potential for occasional misuse or abuse, over time it should average out to be pretty fair.

I do not like the floating logo on the left and I agree with other posters that its distracting.
  • dislike x 2

#85 JediMasterLucia

• 708 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:05 PM

I like it, but i have to get used to it. Every button has a new place now ;)

#86 AdamSummerfield

• 351 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:25 PM

I think the rating option in the bottom right hand corner of posts should be removed. These things just breed judgementalism, division and bullying. Even worse if comments are censored when a certain value is reached. I always prefer websites that allow comments without a voting option.
  • like x 1

#87 modelcadet

• 443 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:59 PM

I'm really happy with the social features available to users with this forum upgrade. Now we all have to take advantage of these features and promote our favorite site!

#88 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:17 PM

I am strongly opposed to the rating system as it stands, by rating a person's reputation rather than being able to vote on an individual quality post.
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 2

#89 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:24 PM

Agree with the spaced out observation. Too big 0_0 I guess I just don't like a fluid css. I prefer fixed ;) Nice design though ;). Still trying to get used to the new UI

edit.. test embed plugin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3mI87UWBsQ

What a fantastic video about the current state of regrowing organs! I did not know we could do so much

Edited by AgeVivo, 26 June 2010 - 09:25 PM.

#90 DeadMeat

• 151 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:11 PM

I think the moving imminst logo can be done much better. The letters should crawl around like spiders dragging the imminst logo around and laying eggs all over the screen that eventually hatch into tiny imminst logos or popups of the imminst front page.

Then after a couple of days of pure Kill! Kill! Kill! instinct building annoyance, you make some sort of applet like mini game out of it. Where you first have to visit the front page in order to pick up a shotgun to blast the annoyance to smithereens and get rid of it for the rest of your forum visit. :)
  • like x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users