Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Chronopause Blog

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#31 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:23 PM

To fix a problem you first have to understand that you have one. While all cryonicists understand the idea that time after cardiac arrest without cooling or other stabilization is not good, few can even describe this injury by its proper name; ischemic injury. Fewer still can provide even the barest details about its mechanics and time course, and only a handful of cryonicists would even be able to voice an opinion about at what point in this process they think such damage might become irreversible (short of complete decomposition). Almost none could give reasons as to what constitutes the basis for their opinion. This state of affairs is both unacceptable and dangerous. It is unacceptable because it has been 47 years since cryonics began, and during that time an enormous amount has been learned about the biological basis of personality and memory, and about ischemic injury and ways to reduce, if not eliminate it. Failing to act in the face of such knowledge is inexcusable. Continue reading

View the full article

#32 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:53 PM

Monitoring the CryoCultural Penetration of the Groundwater By Mike Darwin There ain’t no justice… If any press is good press, then cryonics should consider itself blessed indeed; because that perennial bad seed, Robert F. Nelson, is about have a movie … Continue reading

View the full article

#33 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:25 AM

By Mike Darwin Sudden Death and Unexpected Death: Is there a Difference and Does it Matter? Most cryonicists understand what sudden death is: it is cardiac arrest due to sudden cardiac arrest (SCA), rapidly fatal stroke, accident, homicide, and yes, even … Continue reading

View the full article

#34 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:28 PM

Monitoring the CryoCultural Penetration of the Groundwater We had arrived ahead of our host, and it was starting to rain. We were unprepared for the rain, and it wasn't just a matter our getting a little damp; there was the … <a href="http://chronopause.c...pace/">Continue reading <span class="meta-nav">→</span></a>

View the full article

#35 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:00 PM

By Mike Darwin This post is in response to a comment made by  Abelard Lindsey  on 02-27-2011. Since my response necessitates the use of illustrations, I am making it here, rather than in the comments section. Abelard Lindsey kurt2100kimo@yahoo.com.tw 71.236.250.197 … Continue reading

View the full article

#36 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:00 PM

Monitoring the CryoCultural Penetration of the Groundwater By Mike Darwin We had arrived ahead of our host, and it was starting to rain. We were unprepared for the rain, and it wasn’t just a matter our getting a little damp; … Continue reading

View the full article

#37 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:02 AM

By Mike Darwin Determining and Documenting Cardiopulmonary Arrest In situations where irreversibility has been established by a properly executed medical directive not to pursue cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) or defibrillation (especially in cases where the patient is of advanced age, in … Continue reading

View the full article

#38 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:06 AM

By Mike Darwin “There are so many little dyings that it doesn’t matter which of them is death.” – Kenneth Patchen I remember.  A warm summer day, the smell of her house spilling over through the screen of the aluminum … Continue reading

View the full article

#39 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:36 AM

By Mike Darwin Cooling as the First Last Aid Unarguably one of the simplest, and also the most powerful and effective cryonics first aid measures, is to cool the patient.  At first glance, this would seem to require little in … Continue reading

View the full article

#40 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:06 PM

By Mike Darwin “There are so many little dyings that it doesn’t matter which of them is death.” – Kenneth Patchen I remember.  A warm summer day, the smell of her house spilling over through the screen of the aluminum … Continue reading

View the full article

#41 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:07 AM

By Mike Darwin Introduction The lighting-speed evolution of information technology has made new tools available to cryonics that would formerly have been so costly, that only the largest enterprises could have made use of them. And recently, a new technology … Continue reading

View the full article

#42 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 09:39 AM

By Mike Darwin Some years ago, Aschwin de Wolf pushed me very hard to do a blog. We actually got to the point where,due to Aschwin’s efforts,  the site was set up on WordPress, and I had done some sandbox … Continue reading

View the full article

#43 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:09 PM

By Mike Darwin Some years ago, Aschwin de Wolf pushed me very hard to do a blog. We actually got to the point where, due to Aschwin’s efforts,  the site was set up on WordPress, and I had done some … Continue reading

View the full article

#44 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:40 AM

By Mike Darwin An Unusual, but Perhaps Valuable Analogy This isn’t 1964, 1974, or even 1984 anymore, we aren’t in Kansas, and cryonics is not in the position it once was in. One of the reasons I was never a … Continue reading

View the full article

#45 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:45 PM

By Mike Darwin The problem of a cryonicist experiencing sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) unattended is hardly theoretical. This has occurred a number of times already, with some patients going upwards of a week before being discovered. Because SCA is only … Continue reading

View the full article

#46 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:15 AM

By Mike Darwin In 2008 I had the privilege of visiting the Russian Federation and meeting with Russian cryonicists in Moscow and Veronezh. Moscow was an alien and bizarre experience for me – one which I have likened to being … Continue reading

View the full article

#47 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:45 AM

Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.” -      Philippians 2:12-13 Left: Mike Darwin at the Cryonics Society of New York in1971 (Inset: in Russia July, 2008). Future Shock Now By the time you are 50, if not before, … Continue reading

View the full article

#48 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:15 AM

The following is an edited for publication version of a letter that has been written in various versions to various people over the past 5 years. This, the last version, was written in 2008. My comments have been invited about … Continue reading

View the full article

#49 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:46 PM

The following is an edited for publication version of a letter that has been written in various versions to various people over the past 5 years. This, the last version, was written in 2008. These letters always began Dear _________, … Continue reading

View the full article

#50 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:20 AM

Please note: A PDF of this article is available at: http://cryoeuro.eu:8...graphy_v4.3.pdf& Authorship & Editing Credits The following biography began as a Wikipedia entry authored primarily by Ben Best and a Wikipedian who identifies himself as “Cryobiologist.” In May of 2010, … Continue reading

View the full article

#51 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:50 AM

By Mike Darwin Introduction A short while ago, these remarks were posted in the comments section of Chronosphere: “I’ve often heard it said that case reports have been very inconsistent. I’ve read a haphazard sampling of Alcor case reports. They … Continue reading

View the full article

#52 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:50 PM

By Mike Darwin Defining the Cryonics Organization When cryonics began in the 1960s, the mission of the 4 cryonics societies[1] that more or less simultaneously came into existence at that time was fairly homogenous: 1) Make cryopreservation available to their … Continue reading

View the full article

#53 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:50 AM

By Mike Darwin Introduction A short while ago, these remarks were posted in the comments section of Chronosphere: “I’ve often heard it said that case reports have been very inconsistent. I’ve read a haphazard sampling of Alcor case reports. They … Continue reading

View the full article

#54 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:50 PM

By Mike Darwin In the narrowest sense, Standby does not begin until cryonics organization personnel are deployed on-site to care for the patient. However, elements of peri-arrest care, such as counseling the patient and family, beginning a program of premedication, … Continue reading

View the full article

#55 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:50 AM

By Mike Darwin “You who are on the road Must have a code that you can live by And so become yourself Because the past is just a good bye. Teach your children well, Their father’s hell did slowly go … Continue reading

View the full article

#56 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:30 AM

Over the past few years there has been increasing friction between a subset of cryonicists, and people in the Transhumanist (TH) and Singularity communities, most notably those who follow the capital N, Nanotechnology doctrine.[1, 2] Or perhaps more accurately, there … Continue reading

View the full article

#57 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:01 AM

Over the past few years there has been increasing friction between a subset of cryonicists, and people in the Transhumanist (TH) and Technological Singularity communities, most notably those who follow the capital N, Nanotechnology doctrine.[1, 2] Or perhaps more accurately, … Continue reading

View the full article

#58 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:50 AM

“Are you interested in the whole body or the neuro? And would like fries and a coke with that?” By Mike Darwin Introduction A short while ago, I hosted 3 visitors from the Russian cryonics organization KrioRus. During my … Continue reading

View the full article

#59 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:21 AM

The Urgent Need for a Brain Centered Approach to Geroprotection for Cryonicists Part I: A Survey of the Problem & a Proposed New Strategy By Mike Darwin 1964: Dying Then vs. Dying Now In 1964, the year The Prospect of … Continue reading

View the full article

#60 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:21 PM

“Are you interested in the whole body or the neuro? And would you like fries and a Coke with that?” By Mike Darwin Introduction A short while ago, I hosted 3 visitors from the Russian cryonics organization KrioRus. During … Continue reading

View the full article

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users