Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Chronopause Blog

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#61 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:21 PM

The Urgent Need for a Brain Centered Approach to Geroprotection for Cryonicists By Mike Darwin SENIOR MOMENTS Interestingly, and perhaps somewhat hopefully, the decay of PP axons seems confined largely to two of the nine circuits in this system, as … Continue reading

View the full article

#62 robomoon

• 209 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:22 PM

The article, stating Nathan Shock's findings, shows: the organ systems deterioration does not begin until around age 30. Yet, some of the major aging sources include cellular junk, cross-linking, and cancer. Those have nasty effects too.

Some cells in the brain are not so different from cells of other organs, espc. blood vessels. After the age of 30, at least blood vessels and cancer containment in the brain must be geroprotected. Cellular junk and cross-linking also happen to blood vessels and SENS are great strategies against that.

Gray matter looks like a difficult thing and I do not know who has envisioned ways to regain it quickly. Ever heard about TwenAgain? Certainly not, because I invented it. This includes a desirable condition for neuroprotective measures. Compared to many 50 years old halfcentenarians, the twenagers, also called twens, got a desirable brain condition.

To keep the brain as much as possible to the twen condition, we have to support a development of protectants against cellular junk, cross-linking, and cancer. Included in this setting must be the optimization of DNA repair pathways.

Futile Technology sounds plausible. But you would not mind if I choose the term OUTDATED TECH, would you? So when tech is getting replaced by TwenAgain, results should not be futile.

#63 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:51 PM

The Urgent Need for a Brain Centered Approach to Geroprotection for Cryonicists WHAT ABOUT THE SINGULARITY AND OUR IMMINENT RESCUE BY ADVANCES IN GERONTOLOGY? Figure 19: Putative technological timeline for the development of technologies now thought to be required to … Continue reading

View the full article

#64 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:56 AM

Figure 1: A very special apple orchard in Pervomaysk, Ukraine. Laputa was the fictional floating city in Jonathan Swift’s 1726 bitingly satirical novel Gulliver’s Travels whose inhabitants could maneuver about using magnetic levitation. Laptua was populated by a ruling class … Continue reading

View the full article

#65 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 07:56 AM

Figure 1: A very special apple orchard in Pervomaysk, Ukraine. Laputa was the fictional floating city in Jonathan Swift’s 1726 bitingly satirical novel Gulliver’s Travels, whose inhabitants could maneuver about using magnetic levitation. Laptua was populated by a ruling class … Continue reading

View the full article

#66 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:26 PM

By Mike Darwin Figure 11: Linda Chamberlain (and dog Terra) stands next to the emergency entry/egress site of the Titan 1 missile site near Yuba City, CA. We spent 2 days at Titan Base # 1, which was attached to … Continue reading

View the full article

#67 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:26 AM

By Mike Darwin Figure 11: Linda Chamberlain (and dog Terra) stands next to the emergency entry/egress site of the Titan 1 missile site near Yuba City, CA. We spent 2 days at Titan 1 Base # 1, which was attached … Continue reading

View the full article

#68 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:30 AM

By Mike Darwin “When reason fails, the devil helps!” — Fyodor Dostoyevsky , Crime and Punishment The Entropy of Empire There are, no doubt, many reasons why men aspire to become the chief executive officers (CEOs) of nation-states turned empires, … Continue reading

View the full article

#69 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:33 AM

By Mike Darwin Preparing the Patient for Shipment Closed chest cardiopulmonary support (CPS) will generally be discontinued either at the start of in-field cardiopulmonary bypass, or when the patient’s frontal sinus or tympanic temperature reaches ~ 15ºC. Due to hypothermia-induced … Continue reading

View the full article

#70 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:33 AM

By Mike Darwin Understanding Hypothermia The Q10 Rule and Protective Hypothermia Hypothermia is widely understood to protect against ischemia by virtue of its ability to slow metabolic rate. In man, each 10oC decrement of temperature reduction (below 37oC) results in … Continue reading

View the full article

#71 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:03 AM

By Mike Darwin External Cooling Using the Portable Ice Bath (PIB) The first generation PIBs consisted of a waterproof vinyl tank which snapped to a rigid frame of 1-1/4″ OD PVC plastic pipe. The PIB could be partially broken down … Continue reading

View the full article

#72 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:03 AM

McClelland & Stewart (October 12, 2010) ISBN-10: 0771035195 Book Review and Commentary by Mike Darwin The success of cryonics, both in absolute and relative terms, arguably depends upon the accuracy and precision with which we (cryonicists) can predict the … Continue reading

View the full article

#73 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:34 AM

The story below, claiming that Britney Spears is interested in making cryopreservation arrangements with the Alcor Life Extension Foundation, appeared in the British tabloid The Sun on 25 May, 2011. The Sun is one of Rupert Murdoch’s many (Fox … Continue reading

View the full article

#74 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:35 AM

By Mike Darwin “Possibly the most important discovery we have made about ourselves is that Man is a Wild Animal. He cannot be tamed and remain man: his genius is bound up in the very qualities that make him wild…Not … Continue reading

View the full article

#75 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:05 AM

“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.” - Marcel Proust By Mike Darwin A Digital Ark A couple of years ago I did a … Continue reading

View the full article

#76 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:36 PM

08 February, 1974 Trans Time’s first two patients, shortly after being placed head down inside a dual patient Minnesota Valley Engineering cryogenic dewar, on 08 February 1974 in Emeryville, California.  The dewar was originally constructed to store cryonics patient … Continue reading

View the full article

#77 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:06 PM

08 February, 1974 Trans Time’s first two patients, shortly after being placed head down inside a dual patient Minnesota Valley Engineering cryogenic dewar, on 08 February 1974 in Emeryville, California.  The dewar was originally constructed to store cryonics patient … Continue reading

View the full article

#78 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:06 PM

Audrey U. Smith, circa 1960s Audrey U. Smith (1915–1981), the mother of Cryobiology, was born in India on 21 May 1915. She was educated King’s College, London (first-class B.Sc., 1935); Bedford College for Women (first-class B.Sc. in physiology, 1936); registered … Continue reading

View the full article

#79 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:37 AM

10 February, 1974 “Air Hearse” I was 19 years old and I had never flown in a light aircraft before. I had had very little sleep for the three days prior to the start of the flight. “Gasoline rationing” was … Continue reading

View the full article

#80 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:37 AM

By Mike Darwin Introduction The principal reason that I have told the story here of the latter day Laputa’s is not because it so technologically amazing, but rather because it so fundamentally prosaic. The story of the Cold War is … Continue reading

View the full article

#81 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:07 AM

As a scientist I am keenly interested in the outcome of my experiments. As a cryonicist I’m even more keenly interested in the outcome of Chronosphere, because I believe that a paradigm shift in cryonics is essential to its success, … Continue reading

View the full article

#82 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:37 PM

By Mike Darwin Figure 1: Cryonics, a bridge to tomorrow, or snow choked  catastrophe in the making? Failure: What is the Really Big Risk? What I have had to say in the four articles in this series to date has … Continue reading

View the full article

#83 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:07 AM

Figure 1: Corporations were created by people to be potentially immortal, and yet, on average, they have life spans much shorter than people. Very interestingly, they have about the same maximum life span as people: ~120 years. By Mike … Continue reading

View the full article

#84 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:37 AM

Figure 1: Corporations were created by people to be potentially immortal, and yet, on average, they have life spans much shorter than people. Very interestingly, they have about the same maximum life span as people: ~120 years. By Mike Darwin … Continue reading

View the full article

#85 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:07 AM

By Mike Darwin Introduction: The Magical Biomarker As I was leaving the conference exhibitors area, I was waylaid by Dr. Veerappan Chithambaram, the conference organizer. “Mike, there is someone I think you should talk to. I don’t know exactly why, … Continue reading

View the full article

#86 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:37 AM

One of the unfortunate things about being as isolated as I am from easy dialogue with others (something much of the cryonics community suffers from) is that I don’t have much opportunity to sit around and verbally discuss the meaning … Continue reading

View the full article

#87 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 08:08 AM

Question: How did God create heaven and earth? Answer: God created heaven and earth from nothing by His word only; that is, by a single act of His all-powerful will. Question:  Why did God make you? Answer: God made me … Continue reading

View the full article

#88 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:38 AM

By Mike Darwin Introduction: The Magical Biomarker As I was leaving the conference exhibitors area, I was waylaid by Dr. Veerappan Chithambaram, the conference organizer. “Mike, there is someone I think you should talk to. I don’t know exactly why, … Continue reading

View the full article

#89 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:08 PM

By Mike Darwin A short while ago the comment appeared on a medical list serve where I post in response to the article “Going, Going, Gone…” which appeared here on Chronosphere about brain aging and the need to develop effective … Continue reading

View the full article

#90 Mike Darwin

• 164 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:38 AM

On 21 March, 1978 the Cryonics Institute (CI) acquired their first facility, a storefront building in the Detroit Metro area. The CI building was the first wholly owned (cash purchase) patient storage facility in the history of cryonics, and remains … Continue reading

View the full article

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users