• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Anxiety, OCD and depression reommendations?

anxiety depression concentrat

• Please log in to reply
300 replies to this topic

#61 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:30 AM

Morgan, can you elaborate - I've seen a lot of studies discussing using other SSRIs to get off Zoloft, as well as many, many personal accounts, including 2 involving my wife and my ex-gf that show OCD and anxiety when withdrawing from Zoloft. In the OP's case, because she has already withdrawn previously, if she has gone back on at the same dose, it's likely to be less effective, meaning she either needs a higher dose, or to repair the tolerance and side effects - which 500mg of uridine per day has been shown to do successfully after 10 days.

What is the benefit of just treating the symptoms, when you can treat the cause?

I'm all for therapy, I may become a therapist one day myself. Being on medication does not prevent you from healing, and in some cases it helps someone get through therapy more productively.

You do realize we just don't have the time to wait 5 years to hopefully resolve everything that ails us. We need to get to living, and enjoying life.

Medications can be protective against the damage that chronic depression and anxiety can inflict.

You think taking uridine and the other supplements are treating the cause??? Are you serious? Dude, you've got to be young and inexperienced, with very little knowledge of the biopsychosocial dynamic that contributes to mental illness.

Are you really Mr. Happy??? I bet there is sadness within you that lingers that you are not aware of. Spend 6 months to a year in therapy with someone that knows what they are doing and take it seriously. You will find out there is more going on inside you than you ever imagined.

I'm well aware of the differences between people who are physiologically/genetically hampered by eg. 5HT/1A auto responder deficiencies, resulting in depression, people with bipolar disorders, possibly initiated by viral causes (eg. HSV-1, chronic relapsing encephalitis) and people who have suffered life shattering experiences, who will probably benefit from being able to work through those experiences with therapy in a mental environment where they feel more in control (by taking SSRIs, MAOIs or neuroleptics).

What I don't agree with is longterm use of a tolerance forming substance in the latter case, leading to a life-long dependancy or additional well-founded fear of withdrawal, caused by imbalancing those neural transmitters and receptors over a long time. Uridine has been shown to eliminate the side-effects of neuroleptics, L-Dopa and other anti-depressants, so yes, I do feel that it is a valid restorative treatment in these cases and I'm certainly not alone. Please feel free to perform some research on uridine, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. There are some good links in the other thread.

As for my own state of well-being, thank you for enquiring, but yes - I am really Mr Happy. :)

PS. Don't take questions as a personal attack, you'll make more friends.

#62 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:07 PM

<chuckle> I meant auto receptors! Brain fart from a job a few hours ago.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#63 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:18 AM

Morgan, can you elaborate - I've seen a lot of studies discussing using other SSRIs to get off Zoloft, as well as many, many personal accounts, including 2 involving my wife and my ex-gf that show OCD and anxiety when withdrawing from Zoloft. In the OP's case, because she has already withdrawn previously, if she has gone back on at the same dose, it's likely to be less effective, meaning she either needs a higher dose, or to repair the tolerance and side effects - which 500mg of uridine per day has been shown to do successfully after 10 days.

What is the benefit of just treating the symptoms, when you can treat the cause?

I'm all for therapy, I may become a therapist one day myself. Being on medication does not prevent you from healing, and in some cases it helps someone get through therapy more productively.

You do realize we just don't have the time to wait 5 years to hopefully resolve everything that ails us. We need to get to living, and enjoying life.

Medications can be protective against the damage that chronic depression and anxiety can inflict.

You think taking uridine and the other supplements are treating the cause??? Are you serious? Dude, you've got to be young and inexperienced, with very little knowledge of the biopsychosocial dynamic that contributes to mental illness.

Are you really Mr. Happy??? I bet there is sadness within you that lingers that you are not aware of. Spend 6 months to a year in therapy with someone that knows what they are doing and take it seriously. You will find out there is more going on inside you than you ever imagined.

I'm well aware of the differences between people who are physiologically/genetically hampered by eg. 5HT/1A auto responder deficiencies, resulting in depression, people with bipolar disorders, possibly initiated by viral causes (eg. HSV-1, chronic relapsing encephalitis) and people who have suffered life shattering experiences, who will probably benefit from being able to work through those experiences with therapy in a mental environment where they feel more in control (by taking SSRIs, MAOIs or neuroleptics).

What I don't agree with is longterm use of a tolerance forming substance in the latter case, leading to a life-long dependancy or additional well-founded fear of withdrawal, caused by imbalancing those neural transmitters and receptors over a long time. Uridine has been shown to eliminate the side-effects of neuroleptics, L-Dopa and other anti-depressants, so yes, I do feel that it is a valid restorative treatment in these cases and I'm certainly not alone. Please feel free to perform some research on uridine, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. There are some good links in the other thread.

As for my own state of well-being, thank you for enquiring, but yes - I am really Mr Happy. :)

PS. Don't take questions as a personal attack, you'll make more friends.

I'm a little salty this week dude, my bad. Look, EVERYONE has something from their past that has contributed to their suffering from mental illness. You don't have to trust me on this, you will realize it sooner or later. And everyone would benefit from therapy, no matter who you are.

Uridine is far from any type of treatment for those that experience real depression. It's just that simple.

Unless you have walked in others shoes, and until you have a little more experience, you may want to hold your judgements on medications till later. The illness is often much more damaging in many ways than the treatment, believe me.
  • like x 1

#64 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:28 AM

Also Mr. Happy, you don't need to experience anything earth shattering to be impacted negatively by your environment in a way that it contributes to mental illness. It could be as simple as your mother never being able to consistently connect and give you both the physical and emotional intimacy every child needs, despite her always "being there". If you gain a better understanding of psychology, you may start to understand how complex things really are, and how our brain development-including neurobiology and psyche-,especially when predisposed to illness genetically, can be impaired by lack of proper nurture. We wonder why sadness can just pop out of no where. Well, it was always there to begin with. And, our brain may not have developed well enough to deal with stresses later in life. I know I'm not articulating this as eloquently as I should or could, but hopefully you get the idea.

Medication can help prevent someone from major episodes that can wreak havoc on one's life and biology. Just keep that in mind.

Medication also does far more that can be helpful than simply impact a few neurotransmitters. I suggest you visit Mindandmuscle.net and check out some threads over there on SSRIs.
  • like x 1

#65 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:16 AM

I agree. Mental health is not so much a 'state', so much as a rich tapestry. :)

As for uridine and depression:

Better than prozac - http://m.psychologyt...3/better-prozac

Uridine and bipolar -
http://www.ehow.com/...depression.html

Clinical trials-http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00841269

http://www.mclean.ha...rrent.php?id=22

More -
http://www.kevinhoga...ession-help.htm

.. So, I'm going to have to disagree with you there.

The best part is, it works better than SSRIs by helping the brain create new membranes, transmitters and receptors. It has no rebound effect, either.

The brain knows what it is trying to do, it often just lacks the building blocks to do so. :)
  • like x 1

#66 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:56 AM

I don't think uridine translate to the real world. Seriously man, rat studies? Are you fucking kidding???

I tried uridine, it doesn't hold a candle to antidepressants.

This reminds me of the study that said antidepressants are no better than placebo, what a fucking joke.

Come on dude, the really real human world, and the world of rats in mazes are so different. When it comes to things like mental health, and the complexity of the human brain, rat studies often don't mean squat.
  • like x 1

#67 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:57 AM

You take uridine for a while, then take Zoloft for a while, and report back to me.

#68 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:24 AM

Unlike SSRIs, the effect isn't 'immediate' - it's a completely different approach.

Take 1g of uridine and 2000mg of DHA for 2 weeks and you should notice the effects.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#69 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:04 PM

...and maintain sufficient Vitamin B9 (folate) and B12 levels (see QuantumTubule's comment in the other thread).
(edited to add emphasis)

Edited by MrHappy, 21 October 2011 - 12:05 PM.

• dislike x 2

#70 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:16 PM

take EPA not DHA.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#71 thedevinroy

• 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:19 PM

I actually believe SSRI's to work on homeostasis after one month. Your body adapts to the SSRI's from one area causing widespread change in homeostasis after a certain time. Receptors become desensitized or down-regulated in some places and are retained in others, thus giving a more complete serotonin balance (http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10333979). Same is true, in my opinion, of MAO inhibitors. Makes sense to me...

As far as the placebo effect, there are many variables that determine who has improved versus who hasn't. No SSRI's are not for everybody because some people are depressed for certain reasons, and without a clear evaluation of environmental factors, food intake, and genetics... it just wouldn't be possible to determine who would benefit and who would not. Not to say that nutrition doesn't play a factor, it most certainly does, but most of the time, and especially with chronic depression/anxiety, it is not the problem. The problem could be from genetics, brain damage, toxins, parasitic damage, social environment rearing, and trauma.

In my opinion, this is not genetic, brain damage, toxins, or parasitic damage... nor is it some nutritional imbalance, because it seems to be too constant of a problem. These are not "normal" problems. I believe psychotherapy, not drug intervention, is the permanent solution for this particular case. For temporary relief, uridine + B9 + TMG will probably work for a few hours.

EFT seems like a pretty decent shot, as does some type of dedicated CBT.
  • like x 1

#72 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:51 PM

Unlike SSRIs, the effect isn't 'immediate' - it's a completely different approach.

Take 1g of uridine and 2000mg of DHA for 2 weeks and you should notice the effects.

SSRI are not immediate either but anything from 3 to 6 week...

EPA/DHA, Choline (Citicoline or GPC) and ALCAR do not seem to do much for me (but Ashwaghanda and Wellbutrin do) but as always YMMV, of course.

Edited by nupi, 21 October 2011 - 05:53 PM.

#73 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:14 PM

SSRI are not immediate either but anything from 3 to 6 week...

EPA/DHA, Choline (Citicoline or GPC) and ALCAR do not seem to do much for me (but Ashwaghanda and Wellbutrin do) but as always YMMV, of course.

Fish oil helps me as an adjunct, really just to feel better. But any time I feel better, I am less anxious and less depressed. They go hand in hand.

You aren't the only one. Choline has consistently left people actually feeling more depressed.

Mr. Happy, it's like your a psychiatrist prescribing something that you are sure will help. Dude, uridine and DHA-fuck that's a shit load of DHA that a lot of people will respond badly to-is not the magic potion for most people. It may help some, but most will not notice a whole lot.

#74 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:16 PM

Again, take an SSRI for a few months, either Lexapro or Zoloft, and report back. I guarantee you will notice the difference.
  • like x 1

#75 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:13 PM

Well, taking any SSRI would be contraindicated for me, but would you be willing to try the uridine/(dha/epa/ala)/alpha-gpc/folate/b12 supplement combo for 2 weeks and let us know how you fare? I think this would be a good single case study.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#76 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:55 AM

You aren't the only one. Choline has consistently left people actually feeling more depressed.

Mr. Happy, it's like your a psychiatrist prescribing something that you are sure will help. Dude, uridine and DHA-fuck that's a shit load of DHA that a lot of people will respond badly to-is not the magic potion for most people. It may help some, but most will not notice a whole lot.

There seems to be different views on whether Choline helps or hurts - if anything, life events drive that for me by far the most. I venture to say it does little of anything for me . I think it neither hurts nor helps, it MAY give me a slight verbal boost (as in more likely to engage people), but that's hard to really gauge.

As for the fish oil, I have gone from 1000mg EPA/500mg DHA in the morning to 1000mg EPA/500mg DHA both in the morning and the evening now, lets see if that does make any difference.

I am also re-reading the Feeling Good Handbook after almost 10 years and there are definitely a lot of valid points in there, most of it truly is in my head and I know it. Its also true that activity helps to some degree, but I simply can't be bothered.

Definitely the by far biggest difference comes from taking two Wellbutrin SR instead of one, though.

MrHappy: why are SSRI contraindicated for you?

#77 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:00 AM

<chuckle> My seratonin levels and 5HT/1A receptors are already balanced - wouldn't want to go backwards, even in the name of science. :)

Edited by MrHappy, 22 October 2011 - 08:03 AM.

#78 thedevinroy

• 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:37 PM

Straight choline SOURCES have never brought me down (from lecithin and food sources). It's the AChE inhibitors that are depressants... they (may...need sources) affect methylation negatively, which isn't good for your immune system either.

#79 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:22 PM

<chuckle> My seratonin levels and 5HT/1A receptors are already balanced - wouldn't want to go backwards, even in the name of science. :)

Shit if you don't have any kind of chronic issues with depression and anxiety, there is no reason to take an SSRI. BTW, SSRIs do far more therapeutic things than just increase serotonin- i.e. increase BDNF, enhance and restore HPA function, and either antagonize or agonize sigma 1 receptors.

#80 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:24 PM

How the hell do you know that your 5HT/1A receptors are well balanced??? There is no testing for this. I hope you are not speaking of urine tests. And again, the efficacy of SSRIs does not solely rely on serotonin reuptake inhibition.

#81 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:34 PM

State of mind, really. :)

#82 ViolettVol

• Topic Starter
  • 275 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:20 PM

well, now im back onone zoloft plus some shavings to slowly increase the dose to help quiet the ocs\d.

im also taking zolpidem, but during the day because it keeps me from shaking with anxiety. Now I want to taper it off and not go through a hellish withdrawal? ANyone had a zolpidem withdrawal? What do I take then?how slowly do i withdraw, shave off tablets? Zolpidem initially gave me that optimistic, chilled out state of mind with lots of optimism - it killed my negative thoughts, helped me plan rational steps towards my dreams. etc. but as soon ans i dont have it in my system im a shaking jello, crying mess of depression, fear and ocd.

I realy need help making a routine - im stayingi with zoloft, it seems to be doing this ocd thing better, but I want to know how to get off zolpidem and what to take to feel calm and optimistic and focus, but stuff that does not make me addictive? HALP?

#83 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:58 PM

See my previous posts, also read this:

http://www.non-benzo...k/zolpidem.html

Withdrawal From Zolpidem

Zolpidem Tartrate, a Z drug is a widely used prescription medication for insomnia, but it all to often leads to addiction and withdrawal problems and other side effects from long term use. It is easy to become addicted to Zolpidem and physical and mental withdrawal symptoms are the result as the medication wears off. On this page you will learn how to withdraw from Zolpidem after long term use. We recommend before deciding on how to withdraw from zolpidem that you read our page on Z drugs. Using Zolpidem regularly for more than a few weeks often causes addiction with day time withdrawal symptoms and problems discontinuing the drug. The mechanism of action of Zolpidem is similar to that of the benzodiazepines. Zolpidem binds to benzodiazepine receptors but with higher affinity for the receptors responsible for sedation and anticonvulsant effects. Withdrawing too quickly from Zolpidem can be dangerous, as there can be a risk of seizures, psychosis and hallucinations. The withdrawal symptoms that can be experienced are similar to those seen in benzodiazepine withdrawal. Visit the following link for a full list of possible WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS.

Often Zolpidem users find that their medication over time turns against them with frequent awakenings during the night. This is often caused by rebound or withdrawal effects of the zolpidem. Zolpidem undergoes rapid metabolism in the body and the half life of Zolpidem is about 2 hours which is very short. People can experience withdrawal symptoms within as little as 1 or 2 hours of taking the drug. This often leads to a very disrupted sleep pattern with long term use of this drug (beyond 2 - 4 weeks).

Brand Names

Zolpidem Tartrate is the generic name or chemical name of the drug, but it is marketed under various brand names around the world. The following is a list of the brand names that you may know Zolpidem as:

Adormix, Ambien, Ambiz, Atrimon, Balidorm, Bikalm, Cymerion, Dalparan, Damixan, Dormilam, Dormosol, Durnit, Hypnogen, Ivadal, Ivedal, Lioram, Mondeal, Myslee, Nimadorm, Niotal, Nitrest (Нитрест), Nocte, Nottem, Nytamel, Sanval (Санвал), Sedovalin, Somit, Somnil, Somnipron, Somno, Somnor, Sove, Stella, Stilnoct, Stilnox, Sucedal, Sumenan, Zleep, Zodorm, Zodormdura, Zoldem, Zoldorm, Zolnod, Zolodorm, Zolpidohexal, Zolpidol, Zolpihexal, Zolpi-Lich, Zolpi-Med, Zolpi-Q, Zolpinox, Zonoct

How to Withdraw From Zolpidem

As Zolpidem is so short acting it is not recommended to be withdrawn from directly. Diazepam is recommended for the withdrawal of Zolpidem. Read the following page to see the reasons for using diazepam to withdraw from Zolpidem The Clinicopharmacotherapeutics of Benzodiazepine and Z drug dose Tapering Using Diazepam. However, sometimes it is possible and advisable to withdraw directly from zolpidem. See The Z Drugs.

Utilising diazepam significantly reduces the severity of withdrawal symptoms of Zolpidem as diazepam has a very long half life. Furthermore, diazepam comes in low potency 2 mg tablets which can easily be quartered for small dosage reductions. As both drugs work on benzodiazepine receptors, people can be rest assured that they are not creating a new addiction but are simply replacing a short acting benzodiazepine receptor agonist with a long acting benzodiazepine receptor agonist. Readers should be aware that Zolpidem is a member of the so called "nonbenzodiazepines" family of drugs. The nonbenzodiazepines drug family name was chosen for the so called Z drugs zaleplon, zolpidem, eszopiclone and zopiclone for marketing aims and also because they are molecularly distinct from the classical benzodiazepine molecule. But they still act on benzodiazepine receptors.

Below is a suggested withdrawal schedule in a table format. The table gives the example of how to withdraw from 40 mg daily of zolpidem. The approximate equivalent dose of Zolpidem to Diazepam is 20 mg of Zolpidem equals 10 mg of diazepam. See EQUIVALENCE TABLE here by Professor Heather Ashton. People on different doses shouldn't have any trouble adapting the table to their current dose level.

If you have any questions or would like to meet others who are battling prescription sedative addiction feel free to join our WITHDRAWAL SUPPORT FORUM.

Withdrawing from Zolpidem

Withdrawing from 40 mg of Zolpidem using 10 mg Zolpidem tablets and 2 mg sized diazepam tablets.
Follow or Adapt Table From Your Starting or Current dose
Morning Lunch Time Evening Before Bed Total Daily Dose
      Zolpidem 40 mg Zolpidem 40 mg
Stabalise for 1 - 3 weeks

Zolpidem 20 mg + Diazepam 10 mg Zolpidem 20 mg + Diazepam 10 mg

Diazepam 20 mg Diazepam 20 mg
At this stage you should be stabalising on the diazepam and ready to start making some small reductions in dosage.
      Diazepam 18 mg Diazepam 18 mg
Hold reduction for 3 - 4 weeks

Diazepam 16 mg Diazepam 16 mg
      Diazepam 14.5 mg Diazepam 14.5 mg
      Diazepam 13 mg Diazepam 13 mg
      Diazepam 11.5 mg Diazepam 11.5 mg
      Diazepam 10 mg Diazepam 10 mg
      Diazepam 9 mg Diazepam 9 mg
      Diazepam 8 mg Diazepam 8 mg
      Diazepam 7 mg Diazepam 7 mg
      Diazepam 6 mg 6 mg
See also NOTE below for additional information on withdrawing from 5 mg of diazepam
      Diazepam 5 mg Diazepam 5 mg
Diazepam 2 mg     Diazepam 2.5 mg Diazepam 4.5 mg
      Diazepam 4 mg Diazepam 4 mg
      Diazepam 3.5 mg Diazepam 3.5 mg
      Diazepam 3 mg Diazepam 3 mg
      Diazepam 2.5 mg Diazepam 2.5 mg
      Diazepam 2 mg Diazepam 2 mg
      Diazepam 1.5 mg Diazepam 1.5 mg
      Diazepam 1 mg Diazepam 1 mg
      Diazepam 0.5 mg Diazepam 0.5 mg
Drop Last 0.5 mg dose of diazepam and Never Take Another Benzodiazepine Again
N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Gradual Diazepam Detox Complete
NOTE: Some people find it difficult in the final stages of withdrawal from 5 mg of diazepam to zero. If you are one of these people it may be of value asking your doctor to provide you with the 2 mg per 5 ml diazepam liquid suspension, and obtaining a 1 ml syringe from your local pharmacy/drug store/chemist. Users can then obtain smaller dose reductions than the 0.5 mg sized cuts using tablets.

#84 ViolettVol

• Topic Starter
  • 275 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:17 PM

See my previous posts, also read this:

http://www.non-benzo...k/zolpidem.html

Withdrawal From Zolpidem

Zolpidem Tartrate, a Z drug is a widely used prescription medication for insomnia, but it all to often leads to addiction and withdrawal problems and other side effects from long term use. It is easy to become addicted to Zolpidem and physical and mental withdrawal symptoms are the result as the medication wears off. On this page you will learn how to withdraw from Zolpidem after long term use. We recommend before deciding on how to withdraw from zolpidem that you read our page on Z drugs. Using Zolpidem regularly for more than a few weeks often causes addiction with day time withdrawal symptoms and problems discontinuing the drug. The mechanism of action of Zolpidem is similar to that of the benzodiazepines. Zolpidem binds to benzodiazepine receptors but with higher affinity for the receptors responsible for sedation and anticonvulsant effects. Withdrawing too quickly from Zolpidem can be dangerous, as there can be a risk of seizures, psychosis and hallucinations. The withdrawal symptoms that can be experienced are similar to those seen in benzodiazepine withdrawal. Visit the following link for a full list of possible WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS.

Often Zolpidem users find that their medication over time turns against them with frequent awakenings during the night. This is often caused by rebound or withdrawal effects of the zolpidem. Zolpidem undergoes rapid metabolism in the body and the half life of Zolpidem is about 2 hours which is very short. People can experience withdrawal symptoms within as little as 1 or 2 hours of taking the drug. This often leads to a very disrupted sleep pattern with long term use of this drug (beyond 2 - 4 weeks).

Brand Names

Zolpidem Tartrate is the generic name or chemical name of the drug, but it is marketed under various brand names around the world. The following is a list of the brand names that you may know Zolpidem as:

Adormix, Ambien, Ambiz, Atrimon, Balidorm, Bikalm, Cymerion, Dalparan, Damixan, Dormilam, Dormosol, Durnit, Hypnogen, Ivadal, Ivedal, Lioram, Mondeal, Myslee, Nimadorm, Niotal, Nitrest (Нитрест), Nocte, Nottem, Nytamel, Sanval (Санвал), Sedovalin, Somit, Somnil, Somnipron, Somno, Somnor, Sove, Stella, Stilnoct, Stilnox, Sucedal, Sumenan, Zleep, Zodorm, Zodormdura, Zoldem, Zoldorm, Zolnod, Zolodorm, Zolpidohexal, Zolpidol, Zolpihexal, Zolpi-Lich, Zolpi-Med, Zolpi-Q, Zolpinox, Zonoct

How to Withdraw From Zolpidem

As Zolpidem is so short acting it is not recommended to be withdrawn from directly. Diazepam is recommended for the withdrawal of Zolpidem. Read the following page to see the reasons for using diazepam to withdraw from Zolpidem The Clinicopharmacotherapeutics of Benzodiazepine and Z drug dose Tapering Using Diazepam. However, sometimes it is possible and advisable to withdraw directly from zolpidem. See The Z Drugs.

Utilising diazepam significantly reduces the severity of withdrawal symptoms of Zolpidem as diazepam has a very long half life. Furthermore, diazepam comes in low potency 2 mg tablets which can easily be quartered for small dosage reductions. As both drugs work on benzodiazepine receptors, people can be rest assured that they are not creating a new addiction but are simply replacing a short acting benzodiazepine receptor agonist with a long acting benzodiazepine receptor agonist. Readers should be aware that Zolpidem is a member of the so called "nonbenzodiazepines" family of drugs. The nonbenzodiazepines drug family name was chosen for the so called Z drugs zaleplon, zolpidem, eszopiclone and zopiclone for marketing aims and also because they are molecularly distinct from the classical benzodiazepine molecule. But they still act on benzodiazepine receptors.

Below is a suggested withdrawal schedule in a table format. The table gives the example of how to withdraw from 40 mg daily of zolpidem. The approximate equivalent dose of Zolpidem to Diazepam is 20 mg of Zolpidem equals 10 mg of diazepam. See EQUIVALENCE TABLE here by Professor Heather Ashton. People on different doses shouldn't have any trouble adapting the table to their current dose level.

If you have any questions or would like to meet others who are battling prescription sedative addiction feel free to join our WITHDRAWAL SUPPORT FORUM.

Withdrawing from Zolpidem

Withdrawing from 40 mg of Zolpidem using 10 mg Zolpidem tablets and 2 mg sized diazepam tablets.
Follow or Adapt Table From Your Starting or Current dose
Morning Lunch Time Evening Before Bed Total Daily Dose
Zolpidem 40 mg Zolpidem 40 mg

Zolpidem 20 mg + Diazepam 10 mg Zolpidem 20 mg + Diazepam 10 mg

Diazepam 20 mg Diazepam 20 mg
At this stage you should be stabalising on the diazepam and ready to start making some small reductions in dosage.
Diazepam 18 mg Diazepam 18 mg

Diazepam 16 mg Diazepam 16 mg
Diazepam 14.5 mg Diazepam 14.5 mg
Diazepam 13 mg Diazepam 13 mg
Diazepam 11.5 mg Diazepam 11.5 mg
Diazepam 10 mg Diazepam 10 mg
Diazepam 9 mg Diazepam 9 mg
Diazepam 8 mg Diazepam 8 mg
Diazepam 7 mg Diazepam 7 mg
Diazepam 6 mg 6 mg
See also NOTE below for additional information on withdrawing from 5 mg of diazepam
Diazepam 5 mg Diazepam 5 mg
Diazepam 2 mg Diazepam 2.5 mg Diazepam 4.5 mg
Diazepam 4 mg Diazepam 4 mg
Diazepam 3.5 mg Diazepam 3.5 mg
Diazepam 3 mg Diazepam 3 mg
Diazepam 2.5 mg Diazepam 2.5 mg
Diazepam 2 mg Diazepam 2 mg
Diazepam 1.5 mg Diazepam 1.5 mg
Diazepam 1 mg Diazepam 1 mg
Diazepam 0.5 mg Diazepam 0.5 mg
Drop Last 0.5 mg dose of diazepam and Never Take Another Benzodiazepine Again
N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Gradual Diazepam Detox Complete
NOTE: Some people find it difficult in the final stages of withdrawal from 5 mg of diazepam to zero. If you are one of these people it may be of value asking your doctor to provide you with the 2 mg per 5 ml diazepam liquid suspension, and obtaining a 1 ml syringe from your local pharmacy/drug store/chemist. Users can then obtain smaller dose reductions than the 0.5 mg sized cuts using tablets.

Thanks so much, this is really helpful
Now my question is - what do i di afterwards? I doubt my anxiety will be gone, shoudl i take some supplement?

#85 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:14 PM

Well, I'm happy to report that my wife seems to be much more calm, collected and in control of her life after the last 2+weeks on the uridine/dha/alpha-gpc/folate/vitamin-e combo. Took about a week before I saw changes from the outside.

She is taking:
500mg alpha-gpc
250mg uridine
4 flaxseed oil caps
1 berocca tablet (folate, etc)
1 vitamin e cap

The EFT has also been really helpful. It seems the important thing is to be aware of the events that you need to let go of and work through them. You'll know what they are, because they will be on your mind when the anxiety triggers.

It's important keep this ratio of supplements.. Although, alpha-gpc is kind-of optional and could *possibly* add to your anxiety (reportedly happens to some people, however we've both been fine on it), so if you do try this stack, keep that in mind - if you experience any worsening anxiety, stop the alpha-gpc for a couple of days and see if that changes things for you.

#86 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:18 PM

Oh and you can definitely take that while withdrawing - has been shown to help with the process.

#87 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:58 AM

Now my question is - what do i di afterwards? I doubt my anxiety will be gone, shoudl i take some supplement?

If you really want to get off them all, I'd suggest starting CBT now (unlike EFT, CBT actually has strong scientific support).

Edited by nupi, 26 October 2011 - 07:59 AM.

• like x 1

#88 JChief

• 638 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:13 AM

Shit if you don't have any kind of chronic issues with depression and anxiety, there is no reason to take an SSRI. BTW, SSRIs do far more therapeutic things than just increase serotonin- i.e. increase BDNF, enhance and restore HPA function, and either antagonize or agonize sigma 1 receptors.

And cause me all sorts of side effects from way back in the day. Fuck SSRIs too bro .. they are nothing but poison. nobody needs that shit.

#89 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:14 PM

I would strongly challenge that. Effexor may have screwed me up (but whether I was any better off before is rather questionable), but it also quite certainly saved my life back in the day.

Edited by nupi, 26 October 2011 - 01:15 PM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#90 JChief

• 638 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:26 PM

It can improve your mood. But at what cost? Glad it saved your life but really the comment was directed towards MorganM who's tone I didn't appreciate... SSRIs are overused and should be a LAST resort. It can set off all sorts of unforeseen behaviors. In me I felt "good" but would demonstrate uncontrollable anger under the right conditions and it was totally not me at all. Sexual side effects to boot. Just a mess. Look at all those people that go on killing sprees and stuff and more often than not you see they were on... you guessed it! SSRIs. I feel they can be highly dangerous.

Edited by JChief, 26 October 2011 - 01:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users