• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Ginkgo Biloba - The Neutral Nootropic

herbs neutral herb ginkgo ginkgo biloba ginkgolide bilobide chinese medicine herbal extracts gaba antagonist nri

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#61 Synaptik

• 80 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:08 AM

I just found this, I don't think it's been posted here before: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19427589.

Money Line right here:

"...although rather high concentrations are required for inhibition of MAO-A and MAO-B activity. However, after 14 days of daily oral treatment with 100mg/kg EGb761 only NE uptake is significantly decreased in NMRI mice, while 5-HT uptake and MAO activity are not affected..."

So basically, Ginkgo Biloba is not an MAO-A or MAO-B uptake inhibitor unless taken in very large doses. And only NE uptake in decreased after extended use. I suppose this makes ginkgo even safer to take with other SSRI's or other pharmaceuticals? I've always found the effects very benign - strictly a antioxidant supplement for me.

Edited by Synaptik, 05 April 2012 - 04:09 AM.

#62 lucid3

• 7 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

Just wanted to share this study I cam across:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20041430
"Pharmacokinetics of bilobalide, ginkgolide A and B after administration of three different Ginkgo biloba L. preparations in humans."

Am I reading it right in that plant extract tablets seem to be 2-3x more effective than using tincture? (or rather, result in 2-3x more actives in the blood). I guess it could reflect more on the types of tablets and tincture used rather than being indicative of the general rule. I was just about to order some tincture to help me out with exams, however now I'm not so sure...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:27 PM

How about ginkgo and coffee (or any caffeine) interaction? Will taking both together cancel vasodilation?

#64 Renegade

• 182 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

Tried the herbal combo: Ashwagandha (6mg-9mg Withanolides), Ginkgo Biloba (120mg of 24/6), and Gotu Kola (450mg whole). It was extremely inhibiting, unlike its implications. I felt my GABA and serotonin receptors were overly clouded. No wonder they use his for stress. Not to worry...

My grandma gave me some Zinc she had left over and wasn't using. I took some before bed (12.5mg) and my mind just opened up in 30 minutes. My muscles were activated and alive again. I could think precisely and accurately for the first time since Strattera treatment. I lay there awake in bed and wonder why this never occurred to me before. This morning I took the herbal combo again to treat the hyperactivity associated with Selegiline use. I added some Zinc (20mg) to the mix, and it cured the slowness from the herbal combo until the hyperactivity of the Selegiline wore off about 8 hours later.

Zinc is a direct NMDA antagonist and GABA antagonist/modulator as well as an important co-factor in converting serotonin to melatonin via activating vitamin B6 (those with ADHD often have low levels of melatonin). It is also a kind of dopamine re-uptake inhibitor. Don't take too much, because zinc toxicity is a bitch: sudden vomiting followed by a whole day of headache, muscle ache, and fatigue. (experience)

Conclusion:
The tri-herbal complex is great for fighting stress and calming down, but if you want to function, take it with Zinc.

Interesting. I have been experimenting with this combo.

I seem to be ok on ginkgo & gotu kola, however when I add ashwagadha - I seem to get foggy and fatigued, even at smaller doses before bed.
I just took 25mg of zinc and will continue to do so while I experiment with this stack. I look forward to reporting back my experiences.

Any other users experiences with this stack? It seems to have a lot of potential both from a TCM and modern medicine standpoint - which really adds to its credibility.

#65 RJ100

• 153 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:15 PM

Zinc + ginkgo is working well for me - I feel awake and mildly energized. Still debating if I add Gotu or not. I may elect to take it separately first. Ashwagadha I tried years ago and I don't recall it having any effect.

#66 Renegade

• 182 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:20 PM

Even if not feeling 'immediate' effects, those studies indicating that there is a strong possibility that ashwagadha is stimulating the growth of neurites is enough for me personally to continue taking it long term.

Try adding gotu kola, followed by ashwagadha to complete the stack and report back!

#67 Renegade

• 182 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

Last night, I took 800mg ashwa and 25mg zinc. This morning I took goth kola, ginkgo and 25mg zinc. I feel very foggy and fatigued in work today.

I have heard from several sources that the fatigue with ashwa does pass with time. I will give it some more time to settle as I really want to take this herb long term but its difficult to function under the influence of the this fatigue.

I remember taking 2.4 grams of the stuff a day a few months back with no problems as far as I remember. Could it be the combination with goth kola and / or ginkgo causing the fatigue?

#68 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:34 PM

Ginkgo Biloba Extract Promotes Proliferation of Endogenous Neural Stem Cells

http://www.scienceda...30723113701.htm

Prof. Yuliang Wang and team from Weifang Medical University observed the effects of EGb761 on proliferation of neural stem cells in the subventricular zone and dentate gyrus of rats with vascular dementia. Researchers found that the ginkgo biloba extract EGb761 promoted and prolonged the proliferation of neural stem cells in the subventricular zone and dentate gyrus of rats with vascular dementia. The cells continued to proliferate at 4 months. EGb761 also significantly improved learning and memory in rats with vascular dementia.

#69 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:16 AM

Ginkgo is one of the best nootropics out there.

#70 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:33 AM

Ginkgo has made me more normal than any other supplement I've tried. I think it's because of my bad circulation.

#71 prunk

• 227 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

Ginkgo is one of the best nootropics out there.

Do you use it on a regular basis? How is Ginkgo helping you?

#72 aghonia

• 65 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

how much ginko+zinc should I take? (as I have both in my house)

#73 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:45 AM

I tried Ginkgo for the last couple well. It makes me feel unwell. I get headaches, lightheaded and I feel like my cognitive functions actually worsen. I really had high hopes for this. Any ideas ?

I'm taking it along with vitamin D and 1 gram vitamin C. Worth noting, I already have a problem with low blood pressure so maybe it might be too much for me ?

#74 prunk

• 227 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:11 PM

I tried Ginkgo for the last couple well. It makes me feel unwell. I get headaches, lightheaded and I feel like my cognitive functions actually worsen. I really had high hopes for this. Any ideas ?

I'm taking it along with vitamin D and 1 gram vitamin C. Worth noting, I already have a problem with low blood pressure so maybe it might be too much for me ?

Do you experience the same with some other vasodilator as well?

#75 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

Pretty much. I was using olive leaf and it made me feel dizzy bc it's vasodilatory as well. Ginkgo was unique though. I felt a slight head pressure and very light-headed.

I'm tempted to combine it with a 5-HT2c receptor antagonist like Puerarin(Kudzu) to see if the increased dopamine/NE will remedy this but I don't want another day of feeling like crap. Plus, ginkgo is an aromatase inhibitor and for the, the effect was very strong with joint pain all day. No good.

Edited by Lufega, 17 August 2013 - 07:18 PM.

• like x 2

#76 prunk

• 227 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:44 PM

Thanks!

I got clearly improved verbal fluency from the first Ginkgo Biloba-product I tried but the second one made me feel also quite light-headed and weird. Still I was able to score almost my highest in cambridgebrainsciences.

Edited by prunk, 17 August 2013 - 07:44 PM.

#77 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:02 AM

Ginkgo and fish oil make a pretty crazy combo. I get a little speedy from it. Anyone else notice a mental stimulation from the combo?

Definitely. I experience good synergy there. Even more so if you add green tea and piracetam.

#78 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:08 AM

How about ginkgo and coffee (or any caffeine) interaction? Will taking both together cancel vasodilation?

I know this is not what you asked, but in my experience the combination of ginkgo and coffee is anxiogenic and causes jitteriness of the same type you'd get after too many cups of coffee.

Pretty much. I was using olive leaf and it made me feel dizzy bc it's vasodilatory as well. Ginkgo was unique though. I felt a slight head pressure and very light-headed.

I'm tempted to combine it with a 5-HT2c receptor antagonist like Puerarin(Kudzu) to see if the increased dopamine/NE will remedy this but I don't want another day of feeling like crap. Plus, ginkgo is an aromatase inhibitor and for the, the effect was very strong with joint pain all day. No good.

What's your coffee intake? If you drink a lot, try eliminating or reducing coffee and replacing it with green tea. Or at a minimum, don't take ginkgo together with your coffee.

Edited by Godof Smallthings, 02 September 2013 - 08:05 AM.

#79 mrnootropic

• 180 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:49 PM

Damn, I can't find it, but I do remember that traditional Chinese medicines were 3 or more herbs, usually a hot cold and neutral... This article mentions the combo a little bit, and it's a good read: http://www.mindpub.com/altern06.htm . I dare say my mind groups things, so it may have been a conclusion of more than one article in a single wikipedia/google rampage for answers.

Brilliant thread!!, i agree with you, nice info!!

#80 gerass

• 13 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:07 PM

yeah I had the same experience

#81 the_apollo

• 153 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 06:36 PM

Ginkgo Biloba from EGB-761 studies is said to increase norepinephrine in the frontal region by 30%, which is quite impressive, though at a rat dosage of 100mg/Kg,

which if im not incorrent, translates into 720mg (HED) per day for a human.

Have anyone tried a 720mg dosage of Ginkgo Biloba (per day)?

The product "EGB-761" is a 24% extract, which is standard for the herb.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22784425

Ginkgo on NET:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20105177

#82 Fenix_

• 183 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 June 2015 - 05:53 PM

Has anybody noticed an adverse reaction to taking the unprocessed whole-leaf powder? I know ginkgolic acid is supposed to be allergenic but it may have therapeutic effects as well; as this study shows it suppresses tumour growth, while leaving normal cells unharmed:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/25895130

#83 Guest_Funiture2_*

• Lurker

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:59 PM

Initially Ginkgo boosted my energy levels. I found myself slightly more talkative and focused. But this lasted only two days. Now that I'm trying it again, I'm getting a kind of inhibited response (more introverted) and also pain in my neck which seems very similar to the neck pain I get from taking too much CDP-Choline.

Ginkgo biloba leaf extract (EGb 761®) and its specific acylated flavonol constituents increase dopamine and acetylcholine levels in the rat medial prefrontal cortex: possible implications for the cognitive enhancing properties of EGb 761®. http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22784425

"The direct involvement of these two flavonol derivatives in the increase of dopaminergic and cholinergic neurotransmission in the prefrontal cortex may be one of the underlying mechanisms behind the reported effects of EGb 761® on the improvement of cognitive function."

A few user reports here:

http://www.longecity...holine-problem/

""i recently tried ginkgo 3000mg vials, which i have taken before and i remember they had a pretty noticeable effect on me, but this time surprisingly they caused the same effect that choline does; i guess this means two things : 1.acetylcholine increasing substances work paradoxical on me and also cause panic attacks""

""Gingko and Choline lower my heart rate and worse my panic attack ,i never use Choline or Gingko , except occasional time when i need more brain blood flow might be relate to your situation""

""i have this problem : when i take ginkgo biloba supplement i expiriance panic attacks or fear phases before sleep; now i desided to try choline, but it also induces the same panic attacks, and stronger ones when combined with ginkgo.""

#84 BieraK

• 274 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:08 PM

I'm using Polygala Tenuifolia, Ginseng and Gingko Biloba.

I'm feeling a positive effect after adding gingko to my stack, more mental clarity compared to the Polygala+Ginseng alone stack, I'm feeling warmer also, It feels good because here is winter.

I'm feeling more happiness and an increase in creativity, its like a parte of my brain that was active before, and then was shut down, now is re-starting.

I'm feeling more energy, less fatigue and better memory.

I think that Gingko is potentiating Polygala and Ginseng. I've never took gingko alone for much time, my experiments with this herb always was in a combination with ginseng. however my actual ginseng is an 80% powder extract, I take 200 mg and I can feel it.

For me there is a clear sinergysm between these herbs, ginseng+ginko is a plus, is better compared to the herbs alone, the same for polygala+ginseng, and since adding Gingko my stack of polygala+ginseng is improved :). The interesting thing is that this is starting, with more days the herb produces better effects.

The only concern for me is the increase in bleeding or stroke with Gingko Biloba. 

I ordered centella asiatica, I will give it a try, in the past I felt it like a healing herb for my body, I ordered a good extract. 

I also take these supplements for longevity and health:
-Andrograpolide 98%.
-Grape Seed Extract.
-Aloe Vera extract.
-Sulforaphane (This is new).
-Vitamin D3.
-Low dose methylene blue, however I'm taking less of this recently, Leuco MB works better for me, however I don't have enough Vitamin C now.
-Rhodiola with Salidroside, I take it frequently however not everyday.
-1,25 mg selegiline one or two times a week.

I also take Quercetin when I drink, I also have ECGC I take it only when needed. Vitamin B3 when I do a fasting. 

Edited by BieraK, 11 May 2017 - 03:17 PM.

#85 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:29 PM

But the question is, to use Gingko to modulate / moderate the other nootropics, do you have to take it at the same time? 

Or is taking 1 pill of Gingko in the morning fine to regulate ash, gotu, and others you take the rest times of the day or night?

#86 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:07 AM

be careful with gingko. its one of the more potent powerful herbs out there and it interferes with hundreds of other herbs and meds. i learned the hard way few times now taking meds and herbs with gingko, i developed so many nasty side effects, had to keep dropping it. but im so hard headed, i keep trying it again and again and to be honest, it will only be beneficial if you do it ALONE without anything else

• Ill informed x 1
  • WellResearched x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#87 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:19 AM

be careful with gingko. its one of the more potent powerful herbs out there and it interferes with hundreds of other herbs and meds

I've taken gingko with hundreds of other herbs, though not meds (except metformin and LDN), and didn't find any interference. The only exception being in adding a baby-aspirin, which gives me bloody bowel movements and longer bleeding.

#88 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 December 2022 - 05:25 AM

ginkgo can help rebuild blood vessels in brain

#89 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 13 August 2023 - 02:51 PM

Does anyone else get very vivid dreams from Ginkgo? To the point they are quite disturbing and waking up not feeling well rested because of it. I've tried Ginkgo for few days twice recently and it happened on both times. Otherwise I find Ginkgo's nootropic and anti-anhedonic effect helpful, but would be also nice to sleep without disturbance.

The product I take contains:

Ginkgo biloba leaf extract 250 mg
- of which ginkgo flavone glycosides 60 mg
- of which terpene lactones 15 mg

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#90 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 08:45 PM

Yes but I already told you it is a mild and transient side effect for me. The nightmares were worse at the beginning. Over a month in on near daily ginkgo, and I haven't had one in weeks. And if I do have a scary or weird dream, I try not to let it affect my morning too much.

I do get wicked headaches, which is the #1 side-effect for ginkgo. But I skipped yesterday, and only took 120 mg today instead of 240 and already feel better.

I think the dose is a bit high. I recommend people start with 120 mg a few times a week until they're familiar with how it affects them, and then gradually increase the frequency & dose to the minimally effective level. Allowing the body time to acclimate may help side step some of the negatives. Ginkgo has many of its effects only when taken chronically, more than 4 or 5 days in a row. So it's worth trying to break thru at least. But the headaches and slight lightheaded dizziness can be real problems.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: herbs, neutral herb, ginkgo, ginkgo biloba, ginkgolide, bilobide, chinese medicine, herbal extracts, gaba antagonist, nri

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users