Positive Results from Uridine, ALCAR, DHA, Vitamins

uridine depression bipolar ocd

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#61 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:45 PM

Particularly when retail pricing is around $50 per 25g for UMP...

Sigma (pharma-grade) is usually uber-expensive, though.

#62 khemix

• 190 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:35 PM

Been on ~150mg UMP for about a week now and don't notice anything. I also take B50, ALCAR, DHA+ omega, and a-GPC choline.

Are you sure you aren't attributing the positive effects from the excess fish oil you are taking?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:02 AM

I've been taking fish oil for 10+ years. Much more fish oil at times previously. Uridine is the only thing I have added recently. As mentioned previously, perhaps you don't have any issues that uridine can fix or help with. If it's not broke, you can't fix it. And depending on what your issue may or may not be, uridine may or may not help. We are all different...with different genetics and differing conditions. What are you trying to fix or what are your cognitive problems?

#64 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:14 AM

Been on ~150mg UMP for about a week now and don't notice anything. I also take B50, ALCAR, DHA+ omega, and a-GPC choline.

Are you sure you aren't attributing the positive effects from the excess fish oil you are taking?

Also, are you taking 300mg of UMP sublingually twice a day? As I and others have posted previously, 300mg UMP sublingual is the only type and route of administration that I have substantial benefit from. TAU or UMP oral doesn't have the same effect for me...and others have reported the same.

#65 X_Danny_X

• 344 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:35 AM

Okay Spirulina contains 5% of Uridine which is about 250mg for 5 grams of Spirulina. I take Spirulina but recently stopped. I am assuming that the Uridine in Spirulina is the fat form since Spirulina is a complete protein and food. It by itself has a bunch of vitamin/minerals including vitamin K.

I chew my spirulina as well in order to take it sublingually

Is taking 5 grams of Spirulina enough? I really dont want to buy Uridine supplement if I can get it from foods.

I want to increase my cognitive, learning and memory abilities.

Edited by X_Danny_X, 30 December 2011 - 03:37 AM.

#66 JChief

• Topic Starter
  • 636 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:06 AM

100mg TAU is going to raise plasma uridine levels higher than equivalent UMP dosage when taken orally. UMP trumps TAU insofar as the ability to take it sublingually since it is water soluble. However 100mg TAU oral is plenty enough for me to achieve a noticeable positive effect on well-being. As Happy stated, he scaled it back to 75mg TAU on vacation. 150mg UMP oral is going to be the least effective as you'd need to take 4-7 times that much to be the equivalent of an equal TAU oral dose. If you are taking UMP variety you might as well take it sublingual to raise levels sufficiently and also to save money. Obviously to have an effect the uridine levels need to be raised sufficiently. Smaller doses can be harder to ascertain an effect. At the doses we all are taking there is not a huge risk in upping the amounts to get a better idea of what it does before attempting to scale back. Just my two cents. 75-100mg TAU seems like a good spot from my experience. 200-300mg UMP sublingual seems like the way to go to get an even more noticeable boost (given the higher absorption rate taken that route; unique only to UMP as TAU is not water soluble).

Out of curiousity I have purchased the UMP variety as well. I would like to see if there are any differences between the 100mg TAU vs 300mg UMP. TAU is working wonderfully thus far though.

Creatine update: I haven't noticed any mood effect however I have noticed a small benefit insofar as getting a couple extra reps in my sets. Could be the fact that I started tongkat ali cycle back up too. Hard to say. I have a huge tub of creatine which will last for ages it would seem. I am going to attempt to take 2g daily at this point as I do not wish to experience any weight gain other than muscle.

Edited by JChief, 30 December 2011 - 07:21 AM.

• like x 2

#67 X_Danny_X

• 344 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:48 PM

I guess nobody knows about Spirulina containing about 250g of Uridine in 5 grams of it. I was wondering if Spirulina contains the water soluble version of it. Combining Eggs with choline, Spirulina for Uridine, and Fish Oil supplement such as Carlson's Fish which contains about 2 grams of EPA/DHA in one small teaspoon, should be enough and not needing to buy supplements.
  • like x 1

#68 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:30 PM

Khemix - try doubling the amount of UMP. I'd also allow up to 2 weeks. I'm assuming that you're not consuming stimulants like caffeine / nicotine?

#69 canz

• 205 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:50 PM

Day four at 50mg of TAU, 3g fish oil, multivitamin and various others (ginko biloba, MCTs, tribulus terrestris, glutamine) and I am in a very pleasant mood. My day started average so it seems as if throughout the days that I am starting to benefit from the effects. It seems to be more obvious in the evening versus the morning, but I think that is potentially from the build up. Maybe in a few days it will remain constant.
  • like x 2

#70 manic_racetam

• 937 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:23 PM

Day four at 50mg of TAU, 3g fish oil, multivitamin and various others (ginko biloba, MCTs, tribulus terrestris, glutamine) and I am in a very pleasant mood. My day started average so it seems as if throughout the days that I am starting to benefit from the effects. It seems to be more obvious in the evening versus the morning, but I think that is potentially from the build up. Maybe in a few days it will remain constant.

Your results sound very promising. I'll be keeping tabs on this stack for sure. Thanks canz :)

#71 canz

• 205 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:30 PM

Your results sound very promising. I'll be keeping tabs on this stack for sure. Thanks canz :)

Not a problem. I'll keep updating as I notice new or steady improvements or decline (let's hope not). One thing that I would like to note is that I have no idea what my fish oil DHA/EPA ratios are (I guess I could check tonight), there are minimal amounts of B vitamins in my multi, and I do not have a choline source. However, I do eat between two and six hard boiled eggs every morning. Could this stack be more effecient if the ratios for all cofactors were consistent with what Mr. Happy advises? Possibly, but I was already getting the DHA/EPA and B vitamins through other sources and chose to keep it as it was, and so far it seems to be effecient.

Edited by canz, 31 December 2011 - 02:31 PM.

• like x 1

#72 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:49 PM

Canz - perhaps try doubling the amount of TAU?

Takes 1-2 weeks for the effects to be full realised, in any case. :)

#73 canz

• 205 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:38 PM

Canz - perhaps try doubling the amount of TAU?

Takes 1-2 weeks for the effects to be full realised, in any case. :)

I'm going to leave it at 50mg for now. It seems to be building up. I may adjust after another week if I feel I need to. I'm shooting for the minimum effective dose.
  • like x 1

#74 canz

• 205 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:05 PM

I've bumped up my dose to 75mg per day the past three days. I can say that not many things bother me as much and I seem to be in a pleasant mood, but nothing as pronounced as the first two evenings. I am in a stressful environment right now away from my family so that may be a reason that my results aren't profound in the mood department. I am not sure if 100mg per day will cause a significant improvement, but I'm trying to find the minimum effective dose possible.
  • like x 1

#75 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

Stress is still stress, this will make coping a lot easier. Try 100mg, perhaps?

I just breezed through a few days of major stress involving avalanches, missed flights, touch-and-go (extremely lucky) rebookings and very tight windows to travel and make it all happen. Now I have to deal with work again and jetlag from a 12 hour timezone difference. I'll be fine.. :)

Basically, you should get to a point where you have a healthy, happy base-state and above average response.

• like x 1

#76 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:50 PM

Mr happy - could you leave out the multi? So you'd be taking ump or tau with choline, b vitamins, fishoil and vitamin e. Are the other stuff in the multi really necessary? What i'm trying to say is, what are the must in the combo for success and what is just there to do no harm but is not critical?

Edited by nito, 10 January 2012 - 12:51 PM.

#77 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

Here's the thing - you are building new tissues, etc. That requires building blocks / nutrients. If your diet provides those building blocks and you don't have lifestyle habits that require those building blocks to be used to deal with the habit, you are OK.

If you are missing building blocks and have nutrient robbing habits, your process is going to be slow.

• like x 1

#78 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:36 PM

Here's the thing - you are building new tissues, etc. That requires building blocks / nutrients. If your diet provides those building blocks and you don't have lifestyle habits that require those building blocks to be used to deal with the habit, you are OK.

If you are missing building blocks and have nutrient robbing habits, your process is going to be slow.

Ok thanks. Well my building blocks are not even blocks, they are sticks lol. Poor diet over here!

#79 dreth7

• 47 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:27 AM

Im sure this has been beaten like a dead horse, but effective dosage of UMP sublingually for a healthy individual is around 250mg right?

#80 JChief

• Topic Starter
  • 636 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:52 AM

Im sure this has been beaten like a dead horse, but effective dosage of UMP sublingually for a healthy individual is around 250mg right?

250-300mg sublingual UMP, Yes. If you are taking bulk powder that would be most ideal as the capsule form contains a bit of filler. It's still doable but I am just pointing that out. If you decide to take uridine orally I have found that 100mg TAU (taken with food; not sublingual/fat soluble - UMP is water soluble) works great.
  • like x 1

#81 nbourbaki

• 106 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:28 PM

I've ordered some Urdine and I have a question. I've tried fish oil capsules in the past and each time I would have trouble with bleeding. Would Flax Seed oil be a good substitute for DHA? If so,how much should I take? If not, is there a better substitute?

Thanks

#82 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:14 PM

Flaxseed oil is good. I take anywhere up to 8 capsules per day.

#83 JChief

• Topic Starter
  • 636 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:39 AM

I just ordered PQQ to add to this stack.. for mighty mitochondria! :) Results are sustained. Great mood overall. Uridine is a keeper. TAU is what I have decided to stick with after trying UMP 300mg sublingual. 100mg TAU taken with food once per day works better for me. Hebbeh and some others prefer UMP but try both and see how you like it!
  • like x 1

#84 satsumass

• 23 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:08 PM

I just ordered PQQ to add to this stack.. for mighty mitochondria! :) Results are sustained. Great mood overall. Uridine is a keeper. TAU is what I have decided to stick with after trying UMP 300mg sublingual. 100mg TAU taken with food once per day works better for me. Hebbeh and some others prefer UMP but try both and see how you like it!

Have any of you noticed any effect on sleep? How much dha and EPA do you take with our tau or ump? I have tried both with 500-1000mg of dha, for about 3-4 weeks, can't say I noticed anything but have stopped over past week and noticed slight decrease in mood. Washed out of all supplemens because of sleep issues but would consider adding back tau if you guys hve seen good results with mood and sleep. Anyway what dose dha are you using? I should note best results I have felt have been with DHEA as that gave me endurance and motivation to start doing high intensity high duration daily exercise which is most impactful medicine for mood! But that only was enable by DHEA. I am bipolar 2. Low dose naltrexone also made noticeable difference, though I am on other meds too.

#85 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:46 PM

I bought this one http://www.iherb.com...Caps/25980?at=0 .
Arrived today.
  • like x 1

#86 nbourbaki

• 106 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:18 PM

The LEF PQQ or another source?

#87 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:43 AM

Flaxseed oil is good. I take anywhere up to 8 capsules per day.

Your probably doing your body more damage than good. That's a ton of ALA, that not only might be somewhat rancid and oxidized already, but will likely oxidize in your body-at least from what I've read this could be the case.

#88 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:54 AM

Does anyone know a source for TAU powder? Not having to deal with sublingual administration would make the whole process a little easier - alternatively, how much UMP would one have to take orally? I have seen figures of 3-4 times more bio available bandied around for sublingual but that seems very subjective.

#89 JChief

• Topic Starter
  • 636 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:09 PM

TAU I get from swansons. Just search for uridine. In fact, TAU is all they sell. Two bottles for the month will run you ~$25 @ 100mg/day.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#90 JChief

• Topic Starter
  • 636 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:09 PM

The LEF PQQ or another source?

Yeah LEF. That's all I could find.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: uridine, depression, bipolar, ocd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By