• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

how the whole world is going to react to it?

immortality

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zed Tiu

• 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:45 AM

Our current lifespan is not enough to study the things that we want to learn. I do believe that we are created with great minds that we can use to improve our kind. to solve my first problem, i know that immortality is an inch away (maybe) from our reach but what really bothers me is that how the whole world is going to react to it since immortality is somewhat everybody wants (some are just in denial) but we are already overpopulated.

When i was young I've studied some astronomy books and articles and i dont think, at the moment, that some of us can start to migrate to mars and the other planets. do you think that the research should be temporarily secret or those people who want to be immortal should be genetically modified to be sterile? what do you think? any other idea?
  • like x 1

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

Our current lifespan is not enough to study the things that we want to learn. I do believe that we are created with great minds that we can use to improve our kind. to solve my first problem, i know that immortality is an inch away (maybe) from our reach but what really bothers me is that how the whole world is going to react to it since immortality is somewhat everybody wants (some are just in denial) but we are already overpopulated.

When i was young I've studied some astronomy books and articles and i dont think, at the moment, that some of us can start to migrate to mars and the other planets. do you think that the research should be temporarily secret or those people who want to be immortal should be genetically modified to be sterile? what do you think? any other idea?

Overpopulation is the least of our problems. The population growth rate is already declining rapidly. The most recent population estimates indicate the earth topping out at around 9 billion. Many developed nations (like Japan) are already declining in population. Even the developing world growth rate is slowing. Check here for an analysis of how the population would change if lifespans were extended. (here too). It won't be bad.

Don't worry about overpopulation too much. Check here (Lifeboat) for a better list of real existential threats to worry about.
  • like x 2

#3 Destiny's Equation

• 276 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:43 AM

I hypothesize that extending lifespans indefinitely will cause the population to decrease, not increase.

At this point in history (as counter-intuitive as it sounds) diseases lead to overpopulation. In the developed countries people think “I want one child, therefore I will have one child” whereas in 3rd world countries people think “If I have 6 children and 5 of them die from diseases I will have 1 left”. Extrapolate from that, and we have a world where people see no reason to rush into having kids (because they will remain fertile forever) and put it off indefinitely.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. [] To go ad-free join as a Member.

#4 wowser

• 95 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:26 PM

Have you seen the movie "In Time" (or read the book upon which it is based)? This explores the concept of the discovery of immortality and how it is utlimately corruption which decides who is and who is not immortal

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. [] To go ad-free join as a Member.

#5 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:04 PM

There is a lot to know and experience in this existence thats for sure. I would hate to be dead while all of this stuff is going on if need not be. It could be an inch away. The goal of indefinite life extension gets here in proportion to the collective speed at which the world goes to get here. Hence the importance of getting the world on board, because we cant afford for the goal to be a world effort away for us and not reach it. We cant afford to get to the Superbowl and miss it by one yard.

It seems like you wont have to worry about the whole world suddenly reacting because it seems we are not going to get there without the worlds support, with out the world on the team. We will make this goal happen in our lifetimes once the world is informed about this cause and goes all in. And what I mean by world is not every single last one of the 7 billion people on the planet, but a world where nearly everybody is aware of this cause and the largest percentage of them that would support this do support this. Be that 3% or 97%, we'll take it.

The challenge of population isnt one that is more important than the challenge of being dead. It is much more important to not be dead than to not be overpopulated. There is a list of articles on it here. Population is on a decline in industrialized countries. If the solution is to industrialize then most to all of the world will never pick death over industrializing once we inform them.

Make it secret, no. Its the speed of the worlds collective action that could take us to the goal in our lifetimes. We cant afford to come up even 1 yard short because we didnt do all that we could. Modified to be sterile? Thats a good option to have. We can all take that option now if we want. Freeze some gametes just in case and snip the tubes.

Edited by brokenportal, 22 February 2012 - 08:41 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: immortality

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users