- - - - -

Meditation and physical activity logbook

meditation physical exercise anxiety

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Now

• 162 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

First of all, I want to apologize for my simple English and short sentences. I have dropped out of school early, so I have missed many English lessons. Feel free to correct me, so I can learn from that. I think that physical exercise and meditation are (one of) the best 'nootropics'. In this topic I will track my exercise and meditation progress and share my experiences.

My goals:
  • Reduce (social) anxiety and Asperger syndrome related problems.
  • Improve mood, motivation and cognition.
  • Stay physically fit.
My regime and routine:

Diet: I will try to maintain a well-balanced diet with max. two cups of coffee/day and one glass of red wine.

Supplements:
Multivitamin 2-3/week.
Magnesium formula (with C and D) 2-3/week.
Fish oil one/daily.
Vitamin D 5 µg: 1-3/day.

Meditation: MBSR (mindfulness based stress reduction) exercises for at least 30 minutes/day.

Physical exercise/activity:
Walking with the dog 30-60 minutes/day.
Running: 5-15 km 3 times/week.
Mountain biking once/week.
Basic bodyweight strength exercises 3 times/week on the other days:
2 x 3 sets with 12-20 reps per exercise
1 x 3 sets with 8-12 slow reps per exercise.
Exercises: squats, lunge, push-ups, back extension, sit-ups, bridge, plank and calf-raises.
I can also do some chin-ups and pull-up(s) when I'm near the fitness trail. In that case I will combine it with the running exercise.

Considerations for later: I have to do some research on them first.
Add/replace exercises with barbell and dumbbells.
Add a stretching routine.
Add boxing training with punch-bag.
Improve diet: less bread, more protein.
Intermittent fasting/CR: one day/week.
Longer meditation sessions. (> 60 minutes)
Extra nootropics/supplements.
Buy new running shoes/Vibram FiveFingers.

Any feedback is much appreciated!

#2 Now

• Topic Starter
  • 162 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

I can't edit the first post anymore, but I want to add an extra goal: Improve/reduce Raynaud's phenomenon symptoms.

Edited by Now, 12 March 2012 - 03:16 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 lietosanabaltija

• 12 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:02 PM

I have one tip for your physical exercise regimen, a 2004 Harvard study that found the best anti-aging benefits from exercising at a level of about 2000 calories per week:

www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Exercise_your_right_to_health.htm

Personally, I achieve that level by setting the treadmill to give me an exercise at 286 calories per the daily workout. Works great for me.

#4 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,138 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:36 PM

Any exercise is better than no exercise, but a lot of "health/fitness" experts lately are trending away from repetitive things like the treadmill. They claim long term repetitive running can wear on joints and become less effective over time.

#5 Now

• Topic Starter
  • 162 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:15 AM

Thank you for the feedback.

Life extension is not my goal, but maybe I have to replace one running session with some interval training/sprinting or just walking. I burn much more calories per week with this routine.

I have run 12 km yesterday and I feel my muscles and joints afterwards. I used to suffer from shin splints (MTSS) so I have to be careful.

#6 Now

• Topic Starter
  • 162 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

Quick update:

What I have done last week:
W = walking with the dog (in minutes)
I'm not walking all the time, I have to wait now and then while the dog is swimming etc.
R = running (in km)
M = meditation (in minutes)

Sa: R (13) + W (90) + M (20)
Su: W (15)
Mo: W (15) R (13) + M (15)
Tu: W (120)
We: W (90)
Th: W (90) + R (8) + M (120)
Fr: W (90)

Total W: 510 min.
Total R: 34 km.
Total M: 155 min.

Effects after one week:
- Improved mood and attention.
- I fall asleep faster.
- Less social anxiety and slightly more self-esteem.
I visited my friends again and I went to the cinema with my brother and his girlfriend. Maybe this sounds lame, but for me this is quite something.
- Increased 'general anxiety' and OCD.
I worry about everything, sometimes I am very paranoid. Probably because I don’t feel depressed anymore and things do matter again.

Next week I will try to:
- Do the bodyweight strength exercises.
- Go mountain biking once.
- Spend more time for meditation.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Edited by Now, 17 March 2012 - 01:42 PM.

#7 Now

• Topic Starter
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:08 AM

Update, If anyone is interested:

Sa: R (13) + W (90)
Su: W (60)
Mo: W (130)
Tu: R (7) + W (120)
We: W (240)
Th: W (90)
Fr: W (90)
Sa: W (90)
Su: W (90)
Mo: W (90)

Total W: 1090 min.
Total R: 20 km.
Total M: 0 min.

Comments: My mood is a bit worse (the last few days) than last week.

Changes: I bought whey proteins (concentrate, 80%). I will take 10-30 grams when my diet does not contain enough proteins and I hope it can increase glutathione levels a little bit.

#8 Now

• Topic Starter
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

I really have to stop drinking coffee. I have drunk a lot of coffee last week and my hands (and nose) are cold and red the whole time. From now on I will only drink coffee when I'm visiting someone.

In order to increase the success I will slowly reduce the amount of caffeine. I have some guarana tablets with 200mg caffeine each.
Tomorrow I'll take 2 tablets (400 mg)
Next day I'll take 1,5 tablets (300 mg)
Next day I'll take 1 tablet (200 mg)
And so forth...

#9 jadamgo

• 701 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:17 AM

Find the shortest period of meditation that you can talk yourself into doing every single day. Bursts of intensive meditation interspersed with meditation-free days can have negative effects on mood. I won't claim to know the mechanisms for this, but my experience makes it very clear.

#10 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:34 AM

If you're supplementing vitamin D, check your vitamin D levels and take more if needed (most people need about 1000-2000 IU) (1 mcg = 40 IU).

Edited by hippocampus, 30 March 2012 - 12:34 AM.

#11 Now

• Topic Starter
  • 162 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:44 AM

Find the shortest period of meditation that you can talk yourself into doing every single day. Bursts of intensive meditation interspersed with meditation-free days can have negative effects on mood. I won't claim to know the mechanisms for this, but my experience makes it very clear.

I think you have a good point here. I demand too much of myself and the result is that I do nothing at all.
I will try to meditate more often (every day) for a shorter duration. Thanks!

#12 Now

• Topic Starter
  • 162 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

If you're supplementing vitamin D, check your vitamin D levels and take more if needed (most people need about 1000-2000 IU) (1 mcg = 40 IU).

Thanks for your advice Hippocampus, but I did not feel like convincing the doctor for a blood test so I've just taken a minimum-dose to prevent serious deficiencies. It's spring now and I am outdoor quite often, especially when the sun is shining.

#13 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

Also, you can go on bike instead of walking sometimes :) swimming is also very good exercise for whole body.

#14 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:17 AM

I enjoy reading these type of self-improvement journals. Keep at it. I would recommend a blood test. It will help you quantify your progress and help you get to know your own body better.

#15 Now

• Topic Starter
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

Also, you can go on bike instead of walking sometimes :) swimming is also very good exercise for whole body.

Thanks! Swimming is definitely something that I will add later, but first I try to make regular running and exercises a habit.

#16 Now

• Topic Starter
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

I enjoy reading these type of self-improvement journals. Keep at it. I would recommend a blood test. It will help you quantify your progress and help you get to know your own body better.

That's nice to hear. I think it's a good idea to have some objective measurements, but I'm not that rich so I can't afford regular blood tests.
What blood tests are useful? I have done a (standard + B12) blood test last year and everything was fine, only my cholesterol was somewhat low.

I have a heart rate monitor and blood pressure meter, but they were not expensive so I'm not sure about the reliability.

#17 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

That's nice to hear. I think it's a good idea to have some objective measurements, but I'm not that rich so I can't afford regular blood tests.
What blood tests are useful? I have done a (standard + B12) blood test last year and everything was fine, only my cholesterol was somewhat low.

I have a heart rate monitor and blood pressure meter, but they were not expensive so I'm not sure about the reliability.

I would measure your CRP, lipid profile, and vitamin D levels.

#18 Now

• Topic Starter
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

Update: I have not tracked the activities of the last two weeks. I have run 3 times and I have also walked some miles, but much less than planned. I just did not have enough energy and motivation. Oh, and I still drink coffee.

There is one benefit: I have less anxiety, when I am feeling lethargic.

Changes:
I have bought a book about ACT (acceptance and commitment therapy), I hope this book can help reduce anxiety and stress.

Edited by Now, 07 April 2012 - 01:11 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#19 Now

• Topic Starter
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

I would measure your CRP, lipid profile, and vitamin D levels.

Thanks Elus,

I will remember this for when I have some money to spend. Until then, I will use blood pressure, weight, heart rate and psychological/physiological symptoms to measure my health and progress.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: meditation, physical exercise, anxiety

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users