• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Introverts feeling "drained" from social interaction. drained of what exactly? How to recharge more quickly?

acetylcholine brain fog introversion life-hacking

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#91 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:11 PM

May I ask why we are speaking of introversion as though it were a disease in need of curing?

As Jung pointed out long ago we have entered the extraverted age. That introversion is the exception to the rule, but by no means unimportant. In fact he placed great emphasis on the role the subjective factor plays in the individuation process (process of becoming oneself, which he further described as a life long process). He warned us against the damaging effect of perceiving introversion as though it were a disease. Ultimately it will lead to mental collapse. Please make no mistake, some of us need our moments of introversion. And more importantly, to learn to utilize them in our personal growth as individuals.

Edited by TheFountain, 20 June 2012 - 10:15 PM.

• like x 1

#92 Heh

• Validating/Suspended
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:50 PM

This whole line of reasoning is stupid.

I get drained from social interactions with those that I don't like, with those that are demanding/vulturous with their needs, with those that have nothing interesting (to me) to say, and when I actually want to go and do something else. And I'm an introvert. I think my introversion reveals itself in frequently needing to sit alone (well, not alone necessarily, but free from having to interact with others) in a quiet place to reflect/process. I could go on forever around those that I like, and had to grow into someone that separates fun from work very strictly, because I'd screw around so much (inline with my perceiving nature). My introversion also reveals itself in my lack of a need or dependency on having many friends or being around tons of people. I get the urge to do it every once in a while, and when I like the people its a great experience, but I don't go insane without it.

Aniracetam will make you more sociable. Pop it again when you feel yourself getting drained.

Also, look into what's causing you to become drained (as I did above) and see if they actually stem from your introversion; they may just be negative experiences that even extroverted are drained by.

Usually, in addition to drugs, being well equipped with responses and foresight for situations that bother you will help you relax and enjoy the moment around others you like (if you don't like them, then there's your problem right there).

Edited by Joel, 22 June 2012 - 01:59 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#93 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:36 AM

I'm going to chime in on this thread:

Personally I'm an extreme introvert. Whenever I'm in a social setting within 30 minutes or so I just want to leave and go home and do something by myself. I always either get headaches or extreme brainfog if I'm out for too long.

One thing that helps me is stimulants such as caffeine and ephedrine. Ever since I started taking them for weight loss I've also became much more talkative plus it keeps me from getting the brainfog feeling.

Is there something wrong with my brain chemistry? Do I have a problem with adenosine or dopamine levels?
  • like x 1

#94 searchfunction

• 9 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:08 AM

If you want to be an extravert, you're likely not an introvert. Vice versa. Therefore the useful part of this thread is actually concentrating on "social skill" rather than temperament. Certainly the lack of an ability to interact with others is a weakness for either type.

The rest of this thread seems to have gone considerably off-topic. Many individuals believe introversion is a problem. I can only assume this is partly due to a difficulty of interpretation, and partly due to prejudice. For a typical person, "dictatorship" may conjure thoughts of oppression and tyranny while "democracy" means freedom. Both of those associations are also wrong, yet it is how we're raised in the West. In time such views may change. For now, it is simply unfortunate the level of intellect wasted by introverts as they trade exceptional insight to meet the expectations of society.

I remember having a very difficult time as a child. I could only have conversations with adults; other children were almost frightening. I went to school expecting to "work", and was presented with full classes on counting apples. Recess consisted of my classmates trying to include me in games such as "pretending to be a lion". Why would I act like a lion? I am not a lion and do not wish to be. Resolving to participate as so adamantly requested, I spent much time thinking about what makes a lion a lion, and as I could not fulfill nearly all requirements, what exactly was expected of me by my peer group. Naturally this is something that would take ages for a socially inexperienced 5 year old. Amongst the continual interruptions, I realized that I could never complete the thought in a reasonable timeframe and was giving the appearance of being completely retarded in the meantime. This was a recurring pattern in nearly every social encounter. It was not until grade 4 that I had a single friend. He latched onto me (much to my dismay) likely because I completed all of the group projects myself and as a result he was no longer failing his classes. It was a considerable burden and incredibly tiring to communicate with him, but over the next few years I was able to learn coping strategies.

To combat the "draining" of social interaction, I simply do not think during conversation. As if to turn off all contemplative thought, I interact on an entirely superficial level. It is very effective, for it seems most others communicate or function in this way; entire conversations can be had by parroting social niceties. I learned to use different vocal tones to give the appearance of emotion. One can leave the impression of being perfectly agreeable, kind, compassionate, even intelligent without actually saying anything important. Of course this leaves much to be desired if you wish the social interaction to be somehow rewarding on an intellectual level; I reserve such interation to written form, as a supplement to my thoughts as if it were a book. In terms of efficacy, this allowed me to work at a customer service job and interact with 200-300+ people per day. Few people know the difference, and it is those people I truly wish to converse with.

Finally, to those who keep asking "is there something wrong with me". First ask yourself the only important question. "Is this a problem?"

My personal feelings on the matter state that no, this is not a problem. I obtain no enjoyment from being present at social gatherings, and would much rather be alone. Certainly this distances me from the average populus and labels me a hermit. I also do not enjoy playing World of Warcraft, yet I do not seek drugs to change that. I seek a different game.

Edited by searchfunction, 23 June 2012 - 08:21 AM.

• like x 1

#95 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:37 AM

For those who keep asking "is there something wrong with me" please just read this book.

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/0691018138

Because the truth of the matter is that neuroscience will help us determine potential limitations placed on us by chemical conditions which will help us out in such regards, but it will not help us actually understand ourselves as persons. For that we need other extensive observations, existential or otherwise.

Edited by TheFountain, 23 June 2012 - 10:40 AM.

#96 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:14 PM

It's funny how everyone here thinks drugs will cure their symptoms. If an athlete can train his body to preform remarkably well in their sport of choice then it also stands to reason that if a person trains himself to become a more sociable person it will be much easier for that person to socialize. I'm not saying certain compounds are useless in this situation but I feel you won't become a more socially adjusted person by just taking in some drugs or herbs. It's like saying everyone who takes steroids but doesn't work out with weights is going to become just like Arnold Schwarzenegger.
That's just my 8 cents on this topic.

Absurd. You are saying any skinny ectomorph can become Schwarzenegger with exercise.

#97 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:19 PM

I'm going to chime in on this thread:

Personally I'm an extreme introvert. Whenever I'm in a social setting within 30 minutes or so I just want to leave and go home and do something by myself. I always either get headaches or extreme brainfog if I'm out for too long.

One thing that helps me is stimulants such as caffeine and ephedrine. Ever since I started taking them for weight loss I've also became much more talkative plus it keeps me from getting the brainfog feeling.

Is there something wrong with my brain chemistry? Do I have a problem with adenosine or dopamine levels?

Interesting observation. It seems stimulants give better arousal to cope with the stress of interaction. I have experienced it.
  • like x 1

#98 OpenStrife

• 101 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:38 AM

Not everything in the brain is solely chemistry.

Never forget that your thought pattern in general can induce changes in your brain chemistry. So I personally wouldn't view it as your brain chemistry causing the drained feeling where you're anxious about talking, but rather your attitude towards a social situation and attitude about yourself inducing the brain changes that cause you to feel this way....
  • like x 1

#99 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

It's funny how everyone here thinks drugs will cure their symptoms. If an athlete can train his body to preform remarkably well in their sport of choice then it also stands to reason that if a person trains himself to become a more sociable person it will be much easier for that person to socialize. I'm not saying certain compounds are useless in this situation but I feel you won't become a more socially adjusted person by just taking in some drugs or herbs. It's like saying everyone who takes steroids but doesn't work out with weights is going to become just like Arnold Schwarzenegger.
That's just my 8 cents on this topic.

Absurd. You are saying any skinny ectomorph can become Schwarzenegger with exercise.

No I'm saying any person can remarkably improve in the area they want to succeed in. Whether they become the best is a different story. I'm also saying that supplements are only half the battle with improving. You also have to actually go out there and practice.

#100 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

Barbra Streissand has lots of practice but had to stop performing.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#101 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:12 AM

Not everything in the brain is solely chemistry.

I wonder if we shouldn't supplement brain with 'mind' in statements such as this. The brain is an object, the mind is a non-object, regardless of whether some of it can be localized to the brains neural processes or not. The 'mind' remains a mystery to science to this day. Consciousness, who 'I' am, all elude the microscopic eye of the scientific observer. And I am convinced the answers are not all going to be forthcoming through materialistic, objective means. Some of them will, some of them will not.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: acetylcholine, brain fog, introversion, life-hacking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users