* * * * - 14 votes

C60 experiments @ home

buckyball c60 fullerene buckyballs

• Please log in to reply
3585 replies to this topic

#121 AdamI

• 221 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:55 AM

A lotion would be perfect. since sirtuin is only a cream and not a lotion that adds moisture. (soo sirtuin cream and a vitamin E mix would be a good combination)
Perhaps the skin care products with C60 needs to be only in ppm since it has a hard time to dissolve? I have only found one, are there any cheaper than the one for 177 usd for 100 ml you have found?

Edited by AdamI, 04 May 2012 - 07:57 AM.

#122 HappyPhysicist

• 156 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:52 PM

I think I would feel better doing some filtering. This might do the trick. I don't know if micron filters are available for these, but it might be too difficult to get the oil through a micron filter anyway. The researchers must have used some industrial strength vacuum pumps:

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B00641OEN8

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for C60 HEALTH to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above).

#123 Krell

• Guest, F@H
  • 146 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

Well I thought I was home free. I have my magnetic stirrer whirring away 0.5 grams of C60 in about 600 mL of olive oil. My centrifuge should arrive tomorrow, the only part missing is filtering with a 0.2 micron filter. I decided to run a trial with unprepared olive oil. I thought I would just use a syringe filter since they are so cheap. I hooked up my foodsaver vacuums saver and made a make-shift Buchner filter system. Well the oil wouldn't budge through the filter. I tried forcing it through via the plunger on the syring and a few drops came out but it was clear that this wasn't going to work.

This might be the hardest part of the process.

Any ideas on filtering?

I notice that there are several types of materials in 0.2 micron syringe filters: nylon, PVDF, PTFE, Celluloseacetate, Polyethersulfone, glass fiber, regenrate cellulose, etc.

Amazon has several types
http://www.amazon.co...r, 0.2um, 10/pk

What type of filter material did you try, and do you think it makes a difference for filtering olive oil?

#124 HappyPhysicist

• 156 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

I was thinking that too but I have no idea which would be ideal. I used PVDF.

#125 HappyPhysicist

• 156 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

After one day of mixing with the magnetic stirrer of .5 grams C60 in 600 mL of olive oil all the C60 has dissolved and the oil now looks like red wine. The olive oil I started with was very dark.

#126 senso42

• 11 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

ben
how many days are you going to mix?
romain

#127 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

I was under the impression that clumps of C60 can be very bad for you hence the filtration. I'll have to search through the literature so see where I got that impression.

Probably comes from this study involving fish:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC1247377/

... which I've seen criticized because it employed C60 converted to nC60 using tetrahydrofuran. The focus of the study was on possible dangers to fish resulting from waste fullerenes leaking into streams and lakes. Presumably along with THF.

Curious to know how your solution compares in taste to the olive oil you started with. I'm picturing it poured over some fresh mozzarella and bread.

Howard

#128 Metrodorus

• 188 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:13 PM

Fullerene forms nC60 in water, (i.e. clumps) in which it is almost insoluble. . I doubt it does this in oil suspension.

#129 HappyPhysicist

• 156 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:21 PM

I think you guys are right. I ordered a Buchner filter set up anyway. I'll at least pass it through the large filter it comes with and continue experimenting. If i can make it relatively easy I will filter, if not down the hatch.

#130 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

Fullerene forms nC60 in water, (i.e. clumps) in which it is almost insoluble. . I doubt it does this in oil suspension.

It might. This is from the abstract of a study: The structure of fullerene C60 in toluene solution was investigated both experimentally and theoretically in detail. C60 was found to aggregate slowly even in fairly dilute solution concentrations ranging from 0.18 to 0.78 g/l at room temperature.

http://www.sciencedi...167732201002288

#131 HappyPhysicist

• 156 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:46 PM

Well 0.2 micron i.e., 200 nm filters aren't going to catch anything but the largest aggregates.

Also, we have from Cataldo:

"...the solubility level of these molecules in the triglycerides of fatty acids is comparable or even better to the solubility in some good solvents like toluene..." p 328

#132 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:26 AM

Whats to say that it will stay dissolved in the oil after passing through digestion? Wouldn't it be inclined to clump somewhere?
Maybe a liposome would be better.

#133 Metrodorus

• 188 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:33 AM

Once dissolved, it does not pass through the digestive system. Cell membranes are lipid. Fullerene passes through the epithelial cells of the gut and enters the bloodstream and/ or the lymphatic system, and from there it makes its way into cells in the body, preferentially accumulating in the mitochondria. Some organs end up with higher concentrations than others. Some of it passes the blood brain barrier. The fullerene that is not absorped is excreted in the stool.
  • like x 1

#134 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:55 AM

The smallest filters which are generally available are 0.02 micron or 20nm or 200 angstroms.

Since C60 is about 10 angstroms, even a 0.02 micron filter will still allow fairly large clumps of up to about 100 or so C60 molecules.

I don't believe it's true that something as small as 200 angstroms will settle out of suspension quickly, so if you are not going to filter, I suggest that you spin for an extended period to make as sure as possible that you will not be ingesting clumps.

#135 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:59 AM

Cholesterol update: After taking 20mg C60 for a few days now (and 2 mg for a few days before that), a home test showed my total C at 208. This is a tick up from my previous reading, but still twenty points down from before C60. Nice, but not enough to dispense with the Welchol. (Note: Welchol is known to magnify the effects of other cholesterol drugs such as statins. It might be doing that here, I don't know.)

Blood pressure: I take propananol ER for hypertension, and my BP has been a little low, especially after running (which I didn't have the breath for before this C60 trial) so I'm looking at reducing it. After 36 hours since my last propananol dose, my BP is 120/80.

#136 senso42

• 11 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

hi turnbuckle
and what about performances?
i mean stengh, breath, endurance, and muscle strength in general?
since you take c60 and since you take 20mg

thanks
romain
ps : can i also know you weight and age ( i would be great)
see you

#137 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

hi turnbuckle
and what about performances?
i mean stengh, breath, endurance, and muscle strength in general?
since you take c60 and since you take 20mg

thanks
romain
ps : can i also know you weight and age ( i would be great)
see you

I'm 60 years, 190 lb, 5'10".

A couple of weeks ago I couldn't run 100 yards without gasping for breath. This changed immediately with C60 and now my running limitation is mainly the propananol. This drug regulates BP by keeping the heart rate down, which is a definite drawback for aerobic exercise. As for muscle strength, I've increased the weights on the nautilus equipment by about 20%, though I'm still far off my peak of ten years ago when I was using all the weights on half of the machines. I'll never get back there unless C60 really is the fountain of youth.

#138 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:29 PM

Cholesterol update: After taking 20mg C60 for a few days now (and 2 mg for a few days before that), a home test showed my total C at 208. This is a tick up from my previous reading, but still twenty points down from before C60. Nice, but not enough to dispense with the Welchol. (Note: Welchol is known to magnify the effects of other cholesterol drugs such as statins. It might be doing that here, I don't know.)

Blood pressure: I take propananol ER for hypertension, and my BP has been a little low, especially after running (which I didn't have the breath for before this C60 trial) so I'm looking at reducing it. After 36 hours since my last propananol dose, my BP is 120/80.

Caution, total C is not a good marker for CV health according to many people in the know. Better to know your different particle sizes and concentrations.

#139 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:13 PM

Caution, total C is not a good marker for CV health according to many people in the know. Better to know your different particle sizes and concentrations.

I understand that, and that's what I get twice a year from my physician, but the home test from the local drugstore doesn't have all those bells and whistles.

#140 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

Thanks for the update, Turnbuckle.

#141 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:52 PM

Making c60 at home

#142 revenant

• 306 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:45 AM

Here is an old paper that describes how to purify C60. This process seems efficient.

We reporthere a convenient
chemical
separation of C60, from the fullerene extract. The
method is based
on differential complexation of C60, C70, and
higher fullerenes
with various Lewis acids, of which we
found
AlCl3 to be the best.

http://freepdfhostin.../8146d37516.pdf
http://news.usc.edu/#!/article/10385/CHEMISTS-DEVISE-NEW-CHEAPER-WAY-TO-PURIFY-BUCKMINSTERFULLERENE/

#143 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

Neat video,

I think he needs helium in the jar though.

A

Circle me: https://profiles.goo...236572014252197

#144 HappyPhysicist

• 156 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:38 PM

The smallest filters which are generally available are 0.02 micron or 20nm or 200 angstroms.

Since C60 is about 10 angstroms, even a 0.02 micron filter will still allow fairly large clumps of up to about 100 or so C60 molecules.

I don't believe it's true that something as small as 200 angstroms will settle out of suspension quickly, so if you are not going to filter, I suggest that you spin for an extended period to make as sure as possible that you will not be ingesting clumps.

I have a test tube centrifuge on order. I think as long as I follow the procedure used in the rat study, i.e., mix, centrifuge and filter I should be fine.

The filtering is going to be the hard part. I purchased a Buchner filter setup but may need a more powerful vacuum, something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_4037wt_1156

#145 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

Good news is by the time you're done buying equipment you'll be able to start your own Meth superlab to pay for it, and all your C60.

What's wrong with Turnbuckle's "low tech" approach? Buy some C60, dump in olive oil, shake daily and wait two weeks. Any fullerene not absorbed is just going to be excreted.

BTW they already sell a variety of Russian Shungite products which contain fullerenes.

#146 Metrodorus

• 188 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

Looks like fullerene in olive oil does not actually 'dissolve' - it forms lipofullerene - which accounts for the colour change.

Someone out there is already making money from this: a google image search for lipofullerene raises a few products, mostly skin care.

The commercial skin care products dissolve the fullerene in squalane, which is extracted from olive oil. The amount of fullerene in the final product is measured in ppm.

Looks like adding a mL of home made fullerene solution to a cheap tub of aqueous cream will give you a nice skin care product.

Edited by Metrodorus, 06 May 2012 - 05:15 PM.

#147 HappyPhysicist

• 156 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:24 PM

Good news is by the time you're done buying equipment you'll be able to start your own Meth superlab to pay for it, and all your C60.

What's wrong with Turnbuckle's "low tech" approach? Buy some C60, dump in olive oil, shake daily and wait two weeks. Any fullerene not absorbed is just going to be excreted.

BTW they already sell a variety of Russian Shungite products which contain fullerenes.

I don't know enough about chemistry to feel comfortable with the low tech approach. I have no reason to think it is not just fine but to be safe I will follow the preparation given to the rats as closely as I can.

#148 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:10 PM

You can check for suspended particles by shining a green laser pointer through the oil. It's the Tyndall effect. It's best to look from the backside and compare with the base oil.

Edited by Turnbuckle, 06 May 2012 - 07:19 PM.

• like x 1

#149 senso42

• 11 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

isn' t it may be bad for the mixture and the properties of the molecule c60 letting it outdoor during 2 weeks?
thanks
romain

#150 senso42

• 11 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:53 PM

I have a test tube centrifuge on order. I think as long as I follow the procedure used in the rat study, i.e., mix, centrifuge and filter I should be fine.

The filtering is going to be the hard part. I purchased a Buchner filter setup but may need a more powerful vacuum, something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_4037wt_1156

Hi Ben,
I can't see your ebay link because of my location (france)
what is the nomination of the item (filter) you found, it will help me to find it in europe

thanks

romain

p.s: did your start dca?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: buckyball, c60, fullerene, buckyballs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users