Photo
- - - - -

Supplement that has had largest effect on skin

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#1 Soma

• 341 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:36 AM

What nutrient(s) have you taken that you feel have had a discernable positive impact on any aspect of your skin health/appearance. I have used many compounds that are touted for producing visible skin improvement and have never noticed anything. Some of the more popuar nutrients that I have used to visibly bolster the health of my skin are grape seed OPCs, pycnogenol, silica, EFAs, GLAs, astaxanthin, lysine/proline, vitC, neocell type 1,3 collagen, etc. No visible effects whatsoever.

#2 Godot

• 198 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:47 AM

I've also tried all the supps touted for skin health without noticing anything. The only thing that ever noticeably improved my skin, and unintentionally at that, was monolaurin. My skin just looked and felt healthier. I think I'm going to start taking it again soon for that reason.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:28 AM

It really depends on the person. I like alcohol Ginkgo extract by Gaia Organics. Also just drinking plain hot green tea and eating a steamed green leafy vegetable every day. I also take type II collagen for another issue along with vitamin C but I think it helps the skin. A good source of vitamin C is essential for maintaining collagen. I'm not sure what you want to do for your skin. Most of the supplements you have named aren't the ones I would have recommended for skin. Some of them depend on the quality of the supplement. Google my thread on silica supplements. For vitamin C I like loose Camu Camu powder by Amazon Therapeutics Laboratories, the juice spray dried onto tapioca starch loose in a bottle. I put it in capsules to save my teeth from the acid. Food sources of vitamin C are also good. I like red bell peppers. Neocell type 1 and 3 collagen has a sulfur taste that I don't like. It didn't agree with me. You could try Great Lakes Gelatin. There's no guarantee it will help, however. It's trial and error. Eating well, avoiding smoke, drugs, toxins, breathing fresh air, avoiding sun, avoiding excess alcohol, etc. will help your skin in the long run. There's no one supplement that helps everyone with anything.

Edited by Luminosity, 12 August 2012 - 03:04 AM.

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:31 AM

The things that I've really noticed a difference from were all topical. With topicals, I will usually apply it to half my face for a while to see if I see a difference. Topicals that I think have helped are daily sunscreen, retinoids, niacinamide, and Juvess. I'm trialing Strivectin at the moment. (Only because I got it at a deep discount.) It might be doing something, but it's not major. Where skin is concerned, people are pretty different, so YMMV.

#5 Soma

• Topic Starter
  • 341 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:09 AM

Eating well, avoiding smoke, drugs, toxins, breathing fresh air, avoiding sun, avoiding excess alcohol, etc. will help your skin in the long run. There's no one supplement that helps everyone with anything.

I do all those things and yet my skin is still garbage. Ughhhh.

#6 Soma

• Topic Starter
  • 341 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:13 AM

I've also tried all the supps touted for skin health without noticing anything. The only thing that ever noticeably improved my skin, and unintentionally at that, was monolaurin. My skin just looked and felt healthier. I think I'm going to start taking it again soon for that reason.

Do you eat coconut oil? I know that this contains monolaurin, although I do not know what the concentration is. I will look into monolaurin more, but coconut oil eaten and applied topically does nothing. Actually, topically I find it excessively greasy and non-penetrating and very irritating overall.

#7 Soma

• Topic Starter
  • 341 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:18 AM

The things that I've really noticed a difference from were all topical. With topicals, I will usually apply it to half my face for a while to see if I see a difference. Topicals that I think have helped are daily sunscreen, retinoids, niacinamide, and Juvess. I'm trialing Strivectin at the moment. (Only because I got it at a deep discount.) It might be doing something, but it's not major. Where skin is concerned, people are pretty different, so YMMV.

I have yet to find a sunscreen that doesn't break me out. Retinoids and niacinamide are incredibly drying for me at any concdntration. TBH, Strvectin always looked like an overly hyped gimmick to me and I am always suspect of those do-it-all products that contain a thousand ingredients. I'll look into Juvess, thanks.

#8 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

I use topically things like C serum, tretinoin, copper peptides, NAG/Glucosamine, several others. I also take orally lycopene, astaxanthin, lutein, and a host of other goodies. So it's very difficult to pinpoint what a certain supplement is doing to my skin. I just trust the science I've learned about it. Just because your not seeing something work does not mean it's not working. For instance, the lycopene and lutein orally offer some degree of UV protection, enhanced elasticity, etc.....but your not necessarily gonna see that looking at your skin everyday.
  • like x 1

#9 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

I have yet to find a sunscreen that doesn't break me out. Retinoids and niacinamide are incredibly drying for me at any concdntration. TBH, Strvectin always looked like an overly hyped gimmick to me and I am always suspect of those do-it-all products that contain a thousand ingredients. I'll look into Juvess, thanks.

Over in the C60health forum (under nanotech, for some reason) there are a number of reports of UV photoprotection from C60 in olive oil, taken orally. I'm not advising that random people try that just yet; it needs more study, but I'm going to be using it as soon as I get some. Meanwhile, if you can't use any sort of sunscreen whatsoever, then I hope you are practicing sun avoidance. Everyone finds retinoids drying; that's a problem with them. I've never used retinoic acid, which is the most potent of the retinoids. I'm afraid that would be too much for me, at least initially. I've instead used retinaldehyde, which is somewhere between retinol and retinoic acid in potency. The product I used is called Retrinal, by Avene. Retinoids take some commitment; they need to be used correctly (must wait 20-30 min after washing skin) and the effects build gradually. They also photosensitize the skin, so you have to use sunscreen or sun avoidance. Although I saw a distinct improvement from it, I eventually fell away from it simply because of the hassle. I like low maintenance / easy skin care...

Strivectin IS overly hyped, and overpriced. I never would have paid full price for it. I used to think that it was just a gimmick, but then I learned about myristyl nicotinate, which has solid data behind it, and is the main ingredient of strivectin. That's what got me to try it. That said, the results are pretty subtle. It might be a lot more impressive if I wasn't already using Juvess, but when combined with that, it's only a very small improvement for me.

I'm surprised that you find niacinamide drying; I don't think it's known for that, but skin varies a lot, so you never know. It might be that something else in the product you used was a problem. I'm using it in SebaMed liquid face and body wash, which gets rinsed off rather than staying on the skin. I love it; it has a lot of rave reviews on skin care sites, although as always, some people aren't impressed. It has an insanely misguided fragrance that's horrible when you first open it, but it seems to have evaporated over time, since my large bottle doesn't smell at all any more.

Finally, have you brought a dermatologist into the picture? Sometimes they can be very helpful.

Mustardseed made a very good point about the effect of oral products on skin; it's really hard to see the difference day to day. That's even true with topicals. That's why when scientists evaluate the effect of skin interventions, there are careful before and after pictures and various instrumental analysis techniques used to quantify the changes. Things may be helping, but you might not realize it.
  • like x 1

#10 Soma

• Topic Starter
  • 341 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

Meanwhile, if you can't use any sort of sunscreen whatsoever, then I hope you are practicing sun avoidance.

Well, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "sun avoidance". I don't sunbathe or work outside, but I do get bits of sun here and there throughout the day (getting gas, walking into the supermarket, going to the mailbox, etc). To truly practice sun avoidance, I guess I would have to live in a cave and only come out a night.

I don't know, I think our culture is a little sun-phobic personally. Incidentally, skin cancer rates continue to increase even though almost everyone is super paranoid about slathering on sunscreen the moment a ray of sun touches their skin. Makes you wonder a bit...

I would never advise anyone to lay out in the sun, but I would also worry about someone who was so deeply afraid of sun exposure that they took measures to avoid sunlight altogether. That just doesn't sound psychologically healthy. Not that this is what you are advocating, but I have known some people like this.

#11 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:04 PM

Vitamin D, fish oil and maybe biotin.

#12 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

Meanwhile, if you can't use any sort of sunscreen whatsoever, then I hope you are practicing sun avoidance.

Well, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "sun avoidance". I don't sunbathe or work outside, but I do get bits of sun here and there throughout the day (getting gas, walking into the supermarket, going to the mailbox, etc). To truly practice sun avoidance, I guess I would have to live in a cave and only come out a night.

I don't know, I think our culture is a little sun-phobic personally. Incidentally, skin cancer rates continue to increase even though almost everyone is super paranoid about slathering on sunscreen the moment a ray of sun touches their skin. Makes you wonder a bit...

I would never advise anyone to lay out in the sun, but I would also worry about someone who was so deeply afraid of sun exposure that they took measures to avoid sunlight altogether. That just doesn't sound psychologically healthy. Not that this is what you are advocating, but I have known some people like this.

Since you aren't using any kind of sunscreen, I'd consider a hat with a brim if you're going to be outside in bright sun for a while. I was kind of surprised at the difference daily sunscreen made in my complexion, considering that I wasn't sunbathing or working outside. I guess it was just all the day-to-day stuff that was adding up. My two sisters have lived in Colorado for the past 30 years, getting all that high altitude sunshine, while my brother and I were working indoor jobs and living close to sea level. Today you wouldn't believe the difference in our skin. My brother and I have only a few tiny wrinkles, while my sisters' faces are deeply lined and mottled. UV is not your friend. Most people here want to stay young looking as long as possible, and that takes UV protection. I think you're right that it's not psychologically healthy to be a freak about it, but I think some common sense protections have a pretty good payoff.

I don't know about that cancer observation. Skin cancers have a long lead time before they show up, and there are a lot of baby boomers who used to get regularly sunburned when they were kids (like me, for instance) and are now popping up with melanoma and other less dangerous skin cancers. The seeds of those cancers were probably planted 40 years ago before most people had ever heard of sunscreen.
  • like x 1

#13 Soma

• Topic Starter
  • 341 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:57 PM

My two sisters have lived in Colorado for the past 30 years, getting all that high altitude sunshine, while my brother and I were working indoor jobs and living close to sea level. Today you wouldn't believe the difference in our skin. My brother and I have only a few tiny wrinkles, while my sisters' faces are deeply lined and mottled.

I don't know, there just seems to be so many more variables. Take my father for example: he's in his seventies and worked outside for most of his life and never wore sunscreen. He is pretty much wrinkle free and people have commented that he looks like is in his early fifties.

My sister on the other hand has always been ultra-paranoid about the sun and has always worn sunscreen ever since she was a teenager. For the past 20 years, it's been a minimum of spf 50 on her face every day in the morning. She also eats well and excercises regularly, rarely drinks and has never smoked. Well, she has deep lines and wrinkles on her face.

there are a lot of baby boomers who used to get regularly sunburned when they were kids (like me, for instance) and are now popping up with melanoma and other less dangerous skin cancers.

You're a boomer niner? ...or just regularly sunburned when you were a kid?

Edited by Soma, 13 August 2012 - 10:59 PM.

#14 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:53 AM

You're a boomer niner? ...or just regularly sunburned when you were a kid?

Both. My skin isn't too bad, but I wonder what it would be like if I had decent protection as a kid? I've also done some peels and cryo-ablation to clean up some of the mess. Maybe your sister got most of her photo-damage as a kid, before she used sunscreen?

#15 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:24 AM

I can't say I noticed any supplement having a major impact on my skin. Maybe flaxseed made it a bit more supple, perhaps.. not sure.

I rarely have used sunscreen (unless planning to spend a decent amount of time outside), and I guess I have somewhat naturally oily skin. Or at least did, until my early 40s. I used to use a prescription selenium sulfide shampoo for seborrhea years ago, and I think that made my skin extra oily, or did something for wrinkles, because I never got any.

But I think the best thing is simply sun avoidance.

Most people tell me they think I'm around 30ish (in mid 40s now), and I recall my cardiologist (and nurses) tell me they thought I was in my mid 20s when I first started seeing them (around 7 years ago). I chalk that up to a somewhat hermit-like lifestyle, not any supplementation.
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#16 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:43 AM

These are just guesses, since I have tried so many things.

Metazene
Emu oil
Amlactin
Biosil/Jarrosil
Glucosamine sulfite
MSM
Vitamin C

#17 Application

• 153 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:12 AM

Iodine/iodide 12.5mg or greater per day.

#18 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

Just because the media makes it seem like more people are avoiding the sun, it doesn't make it so. We are at an apex of tanning salon popularity in America. That does not indicate sun phobia one bit to me, especially since these are arguably worse for your skin than direct sunlight.

Edited by TheFountain, 14 August 2012 - 12:00 PM.

• Agree x 1

#19 Soma

• Topic Starter
  • 341 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:16 PM

Iodine/iodide 12.5mg or greater per day.

I don't think that would be wise for someone that has acne or is acne-prone.

Maybe your sister got most of her photo-damage as a kid, before she used sunscreen?

Yeah, but what about my dad who never used sunscreen.

#20 Soma

• Topic Starter
  • 341 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:24 AM

Finally, have you brought a dermatologist into the picture? Sometimes they can be very helpful.

Dermatologists have been 100% useless in helping me in any capacity. Dermatologists basically have two weapons in their arsenal- antibiotics and steroids. If one's condition doesn't respond to either of these, they shake their heads and tell you that there is nothing that can be done. Short of melanoma screening, it is an entirely useless medical field. It is solely interested in band-aids to "hide" skin problems and if the band-aids don't work, then there is absolutely nothing they can offer you. I would put the field of dermatology on par with podiatry or chiropracty.

Edited by Soma, 15 August 2012 - 01:26 AM.

#21 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:45 AM

Dermatologists have been 100% useless in helping me in any capacity. Dermatologists basically have two weapons in their arsenal- antibiotics and steroids. If one's condition doesn't respond to either of these, they shake their heads and tell you that there is nothing that can be done. Short of melanoma screening, it is an entirely useless medical field. It is solely interested in band-aids to "hide" skin problems and if the band-aids don't work, then there is absolutely nothing they can offer you. I would put the field of dermatology on par with podiatry or chiropracty.

Sorry to hear that. You're not the first person who has had that experience with dermatologists. You must have an unusual condition. I've had some really good results with my dermatologist, but then I know a really good podiatrist who solved a problem that my regular doctor couldn't figure out, too. Come to think of it, my dermatologist solved a pretty serious ear problem that both my doctor and an ENT were baffled by. Sometimes doctors know stuff, and sometimes they are just dopes. It's a crap shoot.

#22 Soma

• Topic Starter
  • 341 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:56 AM

Sometimes doctors know stuff, and sometimes they are just dopes. It's a crap shoot.

Medicine overall is indeed crap shoot but I feel that dermatology has a disproportionate number of dopes. I have a hunch that dermatology gets all the drop outs from other fields when they realize all you need is is a working wrist for writing scripts for antiobiotics or steroid creams.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#23 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:34 AM

In the old days they did use to push the stupider medical students into dermatology because they figured that they couldn't kill anyone.

Coconut oil makes my skin break out when I eat it or put it on my skin. Other coconut products are o.k. for me.

In Chinese medicine someone who can't break down a healthy natural oil might have liver issues. Another person might find cold-pressed organic coconut oil to be live-giving.

Why does one person emerge unscathed from decades of sun exposure? In some cases it is their vitality. In some cases the person with the sun damage was exposed to toxins that the other person wasn't. In Chinese medicine there is an internal force that protects us from the sun. Some herbs and lifestyle decisions can enhance this force. Since Western medicine isn't working out for you, you might want to look into Chinese medicine. You can find a thread I wrote about it here:

http://www.longecity...inese-medicine/

Edited by Luminosity, 16 August 2012 - 03:41 AM.

• like x 1

#24 Soma

• Topic Starter
  • 341 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:14 PM

Since Western medicine isn't working out for you, you might want to look into Chinese medicine.

I have. I've been to two Chinese herbalists practicing TCM. I recieved herbs and accupucture from one and just herbs from the other. I never noticed anything.

#25 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:22 AM

Sorry to hear that. My thread has advice on how to find the best acupuncturists and important diet and lifestyle advice that some practitoners neglect to mention. Because the acupunture schools can be for-profit businesses, they sometimes admit too many people.

#26 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:52 AM

How about HGH? I would not use it before I'm in my fifties but supposedly that thing really works. Since it's available OTC as a transdermal I would count it being a "supplement".

Edited by platypus, 20 August 2012 - 03:53 AM.

#27 JohnD60

• 540 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

How about HGH? I would not use it before I'm in my fifties but supposedly that thing really works. Since it's available OTC as a transdermal I would count it being a "supplement".

Where in the U.S. is transdermal HGH available OTC?

#28 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:09 PM

Ageforce put it in a patch, 25mg of real somatotropin. According to reports on the internets, it seems to work.

Edited by platypus, 26 August 2012 - 06:09 PM.

#29 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:20 PM

Vitamin K2 evens out my skin. 4 grams a day of NAG gives my skin a nice glow.

#30 JohnD60

• 540 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:43 PM

Ageforce put it in a patch, 25mg of real somatotropin. According to reports on the internets, it seems to work.

I researched this. I do not find it credible ...1. that a company could circumvent federal law against selling HGH OTC by putting it the form of a transdermal patch, 2. that a molecule as big a HGH could be absorbed transdermally.
This guy articulates other concerns about the company better than I could ... http://www.prohormon...gh-patches.html

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users