Photo
- - - - -

Supplement that has had largest effect on skin

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#61 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

Liposomal glutathione and vitamin C + vitamin E totally regenerated my skin in a matter of months.

Could you share more ? What product did you use specifically ?

Thanks.

I first took livonlabs products but I found maxhealthlabs products to be much more edible. It's a supplement you can take orally but also use topically.
I don't use it anymore because it's expensive but it did made my skin much better, now I'm sticking to intracellular glutathione booster (turmeric, NAC).
Lecithin/fish oil/choline also makes skin much more glowy and beautiful. Vitamin E is excellent in maintaining my skin hydrated and not dry.

However I'm still looking for supplements that can truly regenerate skin, I have dark eyelids due to long term dryness and creams never helped in restoring their original tone.

#62 YOLF

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:38 AM

Found the bottle:
Cit. C (ascorbyl palmitate) 9.8mg
K1 (phylloquinone) 200mcg
K2 (menaquinone, MK7) 200mcg
Med. Chain Tryglycerides (MCT) 200mcg

Edited by cryonicsculture, 22 January 2013 - 03:29 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 YOLF

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:43 AM

Liposomal glutathione and vitamin C + vitamin E totally regenerated my skin in a matter of months.

Could you share more ? What product did you use specifically ?

Thanks.

I first took livonlabs products but I found maxhealthlabs products to be much more edible. It's a supplement you can take orally but also use topically.
I don't use it anymore because it's expensive but it did made my skin much better, now I'm sticking to intracellular glutathione booster (turmeric, NAC).
Lecithin/fish oil/choline also makes skin much more glowy and beautiful. Vitamin E is excellent in maintaining my skin hydrated and not dry.

However I'm still looking for supplements that can truly regenerate skin, I have dark eyelids due to long term dryness and creams never helped in restoring their original tone.

I'm planning on duplicating this process as a daily tea additive:

https://www.youtube....h?v=F2eqfiTxDwg

There are 115mg of flavanoids in Lipton (sorry for offending the British with my lack of PG Tips :p) black tea, and if I'm not mistaken, it's flavanoids that prevent large doses of C from causing cataracts later in life. It looks pretty easy and inexpensive. Might also be interesting to see how it works when used in an ultra sonic vapor maker.

Edited by cryonicsculture, 22 January 2013 - 02:59 AM.

#64 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:18 AM

Found the bottle:
Cit. C (ascoryl palmitate) 9.8mg

This is the stuff that spiked your BP? What a weird formulation. A tiny amount of vitamin C, not much K1, and an overdose of K2MK7. The 200mcg of MCT can't be right. Are you sure that wasn't 200 milligrams? To be honest, I wouldn't expect a hypertensive event from this, but everyone is different. I once had a bp increase from ginkgo biloba, of all things. One possibility to keep in mind is that whatever is written on the label may or may not be what's really in the bottle.
  • dislike x 1

#65 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:26 AM

Wait what... votamin C causes cataract?

#66 YOLF

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:28 AM

Found the bottle:
Cit. C (ascoryl palmitate) 9.8mg

This is the stuff that spiked your BP? What a weird formulation. A tiny amount of vitamin C, not much K1, and an overdose of K2MK7. The 200mcg of MCT can't be right. Are you sure that wasn't 200 milligrams? To be honest, I wouldn't expect a hypertensive event from this, but everyone is different. I once had a bp increase from ginkgo biloba, of all things. One possibility to keep in mind is that whatever is written on the label may or may not be what's really in the bottle.

Yeah, transcription error, it was 200mg. I liked what the K complex did for me. IIRC it was very effective in a short time at diminishing/preventing join pain after several hours of running. I was also taking it with 9g of Arganine, melatonin (300mcg), methylcobalamin (5mg), glucosamine/chrondroitin/msm (3g/1.5g/400mg), and about 6000iu of D3.

How much K2MK7 would have been good?

Edited by cryonicsculture, 22 January 2013 - 03:30 AM.

#67 YOLF

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:37 AM

Wait what... votamin C causes cataract?

I saw an article (rather than a study) that said excess can do it. IIRC 1g a day is fine tho. I read that a while ago tho.
Here is an article on it, though googling has lots of articles that suggest that food based C lowers cataract risk.
http://www.rodale.co...vitamin-c-foods

My guess is that flavanoids do it and C recycles flavanoids. I'd like to hear a chemist's thoughts tho.

#68 Heh

• Validating/Suspended
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:52 AM

The problem is likely the dosage of MK-7. Most people don't go over 90mcg, and some have to lower the dosage to 45mcg to not have these problems.

#69 Deckah

• 153 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

MK7 is also said to have a half-life of around 3-4 days.

Edited by Deckah, 23 January 2013 - 03:42 PM.

#70 jadamgo

• 701 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:38 AM

For me, the clear winner in terms of "most dramatic benefits to skin" is topical salicylic acid, also called beta-hydroxy acid. I started using this stuff about 4 years ago and never looked back. I'll be using it until I'm too old to care how my skin looks anymore.

Topical retinoids come in second place. I started with OTC retinol creams and serums, which worked quite well. Then I found that was far cheaper to order 0.1% tretinoin gel from an overseas pharmacy and mix it with my preferred moisturizer, and it works even better.

As for oral supplements... I've never noticed anything I've taken to have any effect on my skin. I considered getting ceramide capsules for winter dryness, but decided to buy a topical moisturizer with ceramides instead. That's what I mix with the tretinoin gel.

#71 Deckah

• 153 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

For me, the clear winner in terms of "most dramatic benefits to skin" is topical salicylic acid, also called beta-hydroxy acid. I started using this stuff about 4 years ago and never looked back. I'll be using it until I'm too old to care how my skin looks anymore.

Topical retinoids come in second place. I started with OTC retinol creams and serums, which worked quite well. Then I found that was far cheaper to order 0.1% tretinoin gel from an overseas pharmacy and mix it with my preferred moisturizer, and it works even better.

As for oral supplements... I've never noticed anything I've taken to have any effect on my skin. I considered getting ceramide capsules for winter dryness, but decided to buy a topical moisturizer with ceramides instead. That's what I mix with the tretinoin gel.

Are you using BHA in the form of a cream/gel or a peel?

#72 jadamgo

• 701 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:54 AM

It's the Paula's Choice brand 2% BHA Liquid, which is a toner. Just a watery liquid that dries quickly with very little residue. In the past, I used the 2% BHA gel, and it worked just as well but it left a very sticky residue on my face.

#73 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:17 AM

It's the Paula's Choice brand 2% BHA Liquid, which is a toner. Just a watery liquid that dries quickly with very little residue. In the past, I used the 2% BHA gel, and it worked just as well but it left a very sticky residue on my face.

I use that same one also. It's highly popular.

#74 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

best thing for me has been skin peels.
red wine is great, my skin really looks good after a week or two on the red wine. drinking a bottle in one go once or twice a week really helps, i have noticed this several times now.
all i am using these days is snail cream nightly and a syn-ake cream a few times per week.

#75 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

red wine is great, my skin really looks good after a week or two on the red wine. drinking a bottle in one go once or twice a week really helps, i have noticed this several times now.
all i am using these days is snail cream nightly and a syn-ake cream a few times per week.

Heh, this reminds me of the studies from 1960's which claimed that LSD was good for the skin. :)

#76 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

It really is good, I have noticed it a few times. Late 2011 I went through a period of drinking 1-2l per day for a month and have never looked better than just after that time. Now I have come back to Sydney for a month and have drank about a bottle a week and it does help a lot. lol some kind of red wine extract may be better but may not be as well...

#77 cuprous

• 170 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

Are you sure that it's the red wine doing something actually beneficial or are you seeing the smoothness that comes from hangover inflammation (puffing out the skin, temporarily eliminating wrinkles) and the "glow" caused by the same? Would love to see any evidence actually supporting red winde consumption.. not that I need another reason to toss back a bottle.
  • like x 1
  • Informative x 1

#78 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

Are you sure that it's the red wine doing something actually beneficial or are you seeing the smoothness that comes from hangover inflammation (puffing out the skin, temporarily eliminating wrinkles) and the "glow" caused by the same? Would love to see any evidence actually supporting red winde consumption.. not that I need another reason to toss back a bottle.

could be what you said... i will continue drinking a glass or two per day and try not to chronically abuse it haha

#79 Deckah

• 153 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:17 AM

Anyone have any information on carnosine?

Got done reading quite a few user accounts on other skin care forums about it being some type of powerhouse.
I didn't see any other anti-glycation supplements praised like carnosine is on skin care forums, so I take it that there is more to it than that (than anti-glycation)?

Carnosine is VERY expensive. SmartPowders has it for $17.50 per 50g which totals around $122 a year @ 1g a day and that's the cheapest Ive seen (purebulk @ $43.75 per 50g).
So I looked into Beta-Alaline/Histidine(some steer clear from) supplementation versus taking carnosine on it's effects on skin and I couldn't find much. Barely anything really. Just stuff in regards to muscle.

#80 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

I was taking http://www.mrsupplem...ion-horse-power this horespower supplement for about 3 months in 2010 and wow it really got me going and also kept me going all night in bed haha.
Beta-Alaline makes you tingle all over, it is powerful stuff, scary at first, over your entire body and in particular your face you get strong pins and needles. Im thinking of getting on it again.

#81 Andy Colley

• 15 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

i have found washing my face with very cold water has made my skin much better , not really sure why though
  • like x 1

#82 YOLF

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

I think hot water just disolves more of our skins natural oils.

#83 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

What about washing your face too often? Im not sure about it, I have heard some people say that it should be just once per day, does make sense.

#84 YOLF

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:03 AM

From my experience, washing too often makes you look older and some of the acne treatments burn. Just wash your face in the shower with light soaps. The alchohol type stuff just makes your skin get more infected. It all depends on the soap. The right stuff is good and might be better more frequently and the wrong stuff might be better left alone.

#85 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:41 AM

No washing too often is not a good thing because it removes the sebum that protects your skin.
Avoid using normal soap, use oily soap to avoid skin damage. Oily soap is called cleansing oil, it's much better for the skin.

#86 YOLF

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

I'll have to start looking for that. I should have saved all of my soap bottles. There were some AXE formulations that really worked good for my skin but didn't stay on the local market long. One was "Boost" (volcanic stone extract) and the other was Hydrating, but neither are available locally these days. I did just find them on Amazon though.

Aside from that, most other soap that I've encountered for men is horrible on the skin. I tend to be overly sensitive to everything though.

#87 YOLF

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

Actually, the list of stuff in the axe boost is pretty long, maybe someone can tell us what matters?
http://www.amazon.co...d=AWFE29VF8M5IC

Water, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycerin, Fragrance, Guava Fruit Extract, Saccharomyces/Sodium Ferment, Saccharomyces/Sulfur Ferment, Saccharomyces/Zinc Ferment, Cocamide Mea, Peg-5 Cocamide, Ppg-9, Peg-150 Pentaerthrityl Tetrastearate, Peg-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Menthol, Propylene Glycol, Ammonium Chloride, Tetrasodium Edta, Etidronic Acid, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Red 4, Red 33, Red 40, Yellow 6.

#88 YOLF

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:39 PM

ooops

Edited by cryonicsculture, 10 March 2013 - 10:40 PM.

#89 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:36 AM

topical resveratrol has been working well for controlling my acne, and my daily turmeric consumption always leaves my skin with a nice orange glow

#90 meatsauce

• 329 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:40 PM

I am interested in getting some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users