- - - - -

Your thoughts on westonaprice.org

westonaprice weston

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#121 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

You should not be afraid of fat. Good fats and protein are the foundations of a varied diet.

Omega-3 are good fats. The fats in eggs are unessential (saturated and monounsaturated).

The list of good oils includes at least olive oil, fish oil and coconut oil. As a general comment, if some type of fat in the diet is "unessential", you cannot conclude that your body is producing that fat in optimal amounts. In other words, you might have a deficientcy in an unessential fat.

#122 xztop123

• 25 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:00 AM

If you're concerned about your vascular/heart health high carb is the way to go and there really is no arguing with that. The person who championed the Paleo diet, Cordain clearly states that palmitic acid is bad for endothelium.

It may be counter-intuitive but you end up with less palmitic acid in the blood by eating low carb.

http://rdfeinman.wor...-in-your-blood/

One of Cordains main points of emphasis for advising less palmitic acid was the innuit mummy that was dug up and found to have extensive endothelial plaque. It was not suspected that the mummy had a MI or even would have, because of lack of other factors (inflammation ect) but as far as blood vessel health goes, it wasn't in great shape.

http://www.meandmydi...ter-march-25th/

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#123 Chupo

• 321 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:20 AM

One of Cordains main points of emphasis for advising less palmitic acid was the innuit mummy that was dug up and found to have extensive endothelial plaque. It was not suspected that the mummy had a MI or even would have, because of lack of other factors (inflammation ect) but as far as blood vessel health goes, it wasn't in great shape.

http://www.meandmydi...ter-march-25th/

The Inuit had a high PUFA intake and that woman had anthracosis. The smoke she inhaled daily would have caused inflammation and would have helped oxidize the PUFA and LDL, wouldn't you think?
  • like x 2

#124 misterE

• 1,035 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:28 PM

The list of good oils includes at least olive oil, fish oil and coconut oil.

I don’t know about that… There was a study done which looked at the cardiovascular effects of coconut-oil. After feeding the subjects coconut-oil, researchers found that the coconut-oil decreased blood-flow for 3 hours and reduced the anti-inflammatory properties of HDL [1].

Olive, soybean and palm also showed negative cardiovascular effects: decreasing blood-flow by 32% and increasing triglycerides by 27% [2].

Ornish and Esselstyn have shown to reverse atherosclerosis and all the diseases caused by atherosclerosis (like impotence), you must get fat below 15% or less. Olive-oil is 100% fat! Coconut-oil is 100% fat! Both doctors strongly suggest avoiding oils.

[1] J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006 Aug 15;48(4):715-20. Consumption of saturated fat impairs the anti-inflammatory properties of high-density lipoproteins and endothelial function.
Nicholls SJ, Lundman P, Harmer JA.

[2] Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2007 Jan;17(1):50-7. Olive, soybean and palm oils intake have a similar acute detrimental effect over the endothelial function in healthy young subjects. Rueda-Clausen CF, Silva FA, Lindarte MA.

• dislike x 1

#125 misterE

• 1,035 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

I just thought I would post a picture of Sally Fallon, who is the president of The Weston A. Price Foundation. Is it just me, or is she fat?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • dislike x 2
  • Agree x 2

#126 zorba990

• 1,602 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:58 AM

The list of good oils includes at least olive oil, fish oil and coconut oil.

I don’t know about that… There was a study done which looked at the cardiovascular effects of coconut-oil. After feeding the subjects coconut-oil, researchers found that the coconut-oil decreased blood-flow for 3 hours and reduced the anti-inflammatory properties of HDL [1].

Olive, soybean and palm also showed negative cardiovascular effects: decreasing blood-flow by 32% and increasing triglycerides by 27% [2].

Ornish and Esselstyn have shown to reverse atherosclerosis and all the diseases caused by atherosclerosis (like impotence), you must get fat below 15% or less. Olive-oil is 100% fat! Coconut-oil is 100% fat! Both doctors strongly suggest avoiding oils.

[1] J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006 Aug 15;48(4):715-20. Consumption of saturated fat impairs the anti-inflammatory properties of high-density lipoproteins and endothelial function.
Nicholls SJ, Lundman P, Harmer JA.

[2] Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2007 Jan;17(1):50-7. Olive, soybean and palm oils intake have a similar acute detrimental effect over the endothelial function in healthy young subjects. Rueda-Clausen CF, Silva FA, Lindarte MA.

I found (1) here:
http://www.sciencedi...735109706013386

I find it odd that the sources of the oils are not documented. IME the quality of store-bought oils varies greatly as there is
a tendency to heat and bleach oils (at least in the US) . A recent study shows extended lifespan with high dose olive oil in rats (even without the fullerenes) http://www.sciencedi...142961212003237 and my understanding was a very high quality olive oil was used.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users