- - - - -

Fluoride content in Green Tea extract?

green tea flouride egcg

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tate

• 6 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:44 AM

I take a daily 95% polyphenol green tea extract with 50% EGCG capsule and I have for years now. I do occasionally drink a few cups of green or black tea during the day. A lot of studies ping the cancer and therapeutic benefits at 3 cups, so I usually take 3- 700 mg capsules throughout the day.

The reason I take a supplement instead of brewing the tea is that I want to avoid the excessive amount of fluoride that the plant Cameilla Sinesis absorbs. I already live in an area that doesn't fluoridate and would like to reduce my overall exposure. While I don't think fluoride is the end of the world or a mind control drug, I understand it is unnecessary for any biological purposes and can accumulate over time it can also have adverse effects for healthy bone formation. Coupled with the Harvard epidemiological study showing a correlation between IQ and fluoride I would rather err on the side of caution.

My question is during the polyphenol extraction process, is it likely that minerals such as aluminum, fluoride etc have been removed from the final product?

I have looked at the COA and this isn't detailed. What would be the common consensus? I can't find this information anywhere. Assuming a good pure extract from a reputable company, would fluoride be present after chemical extraction?

#2 d3v

• 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

Hey don't mix up man made flouride with naturally occuring flouride, they are two different things!
  • dislike x 2
  • Needs references x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 RJ100

• 153 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

Hey don't mix up man made flouride with naturally occuring flouride, they are two different things!

Most municipalities in the US add fluorosilicic acid (H2SiF6) to their water supplies. I don't know if the fluoride found in tea leaves is plain old F or some other combination of molecules.

Tea leaves also contain aluminum, and I'd read somewhere that together they bond and are not absorbed.. but i can't verify that atm.

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:13 AM

Most municipalities in the US add fluorosilicic acid (H2SiF6) to their water supplies. I don't know if the fluoride found in tea leaves is plain old F or some other combination of molecules.

H2SiF6 only exists in highly acidic solution. As soon as it hits neutral water, it decomposes as follows, creating fluoride ions.

SiF62- + 2 H2O → 6 F- + SiO2 + 4 H+

Fluoride in water, toothpaste, and tea is all the same stuff: fluoride ion. (F-) When combined with certain metals, fluoride forms an insoluble salt, such as CaF2
  • Agree x 1

#5 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

What is the highest recommendable dose of Green Tea Extract per day? I seem to remember that adverse effects were noted at high doses but cannot locate the reference?

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

What is the highest recommendable dose of Green Tea Extract per day? I seem to remember that adverse effects were noted at high doses but cannot locate the reference?

Some years back there was a published case report regarding a woman who got liver damage from 800mg GTE on an empty stomach. I don't know if that was a one shot deal or a daily dose, but I'd guess daily. Taking lower doses and/or taking it with food are both options. I seem to be able to take 500mg on an empty stomach with normal liver enzymes, and I'm not very heavy (145 lbs). That's one data point.

#7 Nootropic Cat

• 148 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

I thought aluminium was the more serious concern with GTE. Anyone know whether organic stuff would be likely to contain less Al?

#8 RJ100

• 153 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

H2SiF6 only exists in highly acidic solution. As soon as it hits neutral water, it decomposes as follows, creating fluoride ions.

SiF62- + 2 H2O → 6 F- + SiO2 + 4 H+

Fluoride in water, toothpaste, and tea is all the same stuff: fluoride ion. (F-) When combined with certain metals, fluoride forms an insoluble salt, such as CaF2

F = F, correct. The issue with fluoridation isn't that F is added to water, it's that an industrial waste product is added to water and oh hey it adds F, too.

Even if you consider F detrimental, green tea is still a net positive. I can't say the same about tap water (in general, as quality varies greatly) considering what's in some of it.

#9 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

I thought aluminium was the more serious concern with GTE. Anyone know whether organic stuff would be likely to contain less Al?

I very much doubt that organic stuff would be any different. You could have a fully organic farm that happened to have soil or water with a high aluminum content, and it would still be organic.

http://www.cancer.go.../prevention/tea says:

Aluminum, a neurotoxic element, is found in varying quantities in tea plants. Studies have found concentrations of aluminum (which is naturally taken up from soil) in infusions of green and black teas that range from 14 to 27 micrograms per liter (μg/L) to 431 to 2239 μg/L (4). The variations in aluminum content may be due to different soil conditions, different harvesting periods, and water quality (4). Aluminum can accumulate in the body and cause osteomalacia and neurodegenerative disorders, especially in individuals with renal failure (4). However, it is not clear how much of the aluminum in tea is bioavailable, and there is no evidence of any aluminum toxicity associated with drinking tea (4).

Reference (4) is: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16582024 which has free full text.

I'll speculate that the extraction conditions that are optimal for pulling out polyphenols might not be optimal for pulling out Al, which would be good if true. The only way to know would be for a responsible supplement maker to analyze their raw GTE for aluminum. (ha ha... That's a good one...) Anyone have an atomic absorption spectrophotometer?

A couple things I've heard but don't have references for: White tea is said to be lower in Al and Fl than darker teas, and adding lemon juice to tea is said to increase the absorption of Al by up to 700%.
  • like x 1

#10 Bron

• 103 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:08 PM

I very much doubt that organic stuff would be any different. You could have a fully organic farm that happened to have soil or water with a high aluminum content, and it would still be organic.

http://www.cancer.go.../prevention/tea says:

Aluminum, a neurotoxic element, is found in varying quantities in tea plants. Studies have found concentrations of aluminum (which is naturally taken up from soil) in infusions of green and black teas that range from 14 to 27 micrograms per liter (μg/L) to 431 to 2239 μg/L (4). The variations in aluminum content may be due to different soil conditions, different harvesting periods, and water quality (4). Aluminum can accumulate in the body and cause osteomalacia and neurodegenerative disorders, especially in individuals with renal failure (4). However, it is not clear how much of the aluminum in tea is bioavailable, and there is no evidence of any aluminum toxicity associated with drinking tea (4).

Reference (4) is: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16582024 which has free full text.

I'll speculate that the extraction conditions that are optimal for pulling out polyphenols might not be optimal for pulling out Al, which would be good if true. The only way to know would be for a responsible supplement maker to analyze their raw GTE for aluminum. (ha ha... That's a good one...) Anyone have an atomic absorption spectrophotometer?

A couple things I've heard but don't have references for: White tea is said to be lower in Al and Fl than darker teas, and adding lemon juice to tea is said to increase the absorption of Al by up to 700%.

NVM, I didn't read the first part of the sentence apparently.

Edited by Bron, 13 April 2013 - 08:09 PM.

#11 DorianGrey

• 152 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:42 PM

I read about a woman that used 150 (!) tea bags over about two decades. She lost almost all her teeth and had severe bone issues. That's an extreme case but shows there is an effect. I started to use the demineralized water (normal filters don't remove F-) for tea, coffee and also my occasional glass of water. I am currently trying out the fluoride free toothpastes (I guess the sublingual intake and swallowed residual toothpaste accounts for at least 10% of the daily fluoride intake). I consume up to 1L of tea per day and like it strong, that's why fluoride has become a concern to me.
Our municipality still adds this unnecessary toxin (think baby formula!) to the drinking water. London (Ontario) has stopped this practice recently. The dental implications are less of a problem as shown in comparative evaluations with Europe where they never added Fluoride and have seen a general improvement.
  • dislike x 1

#12 noot_in_the_sky

• 287 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

Doesn’t the research into tea take into account any amounts of fluoride or aluminum in the water, in an indirect way. After all, they do need to prepare the tea in water and I question whether they use specially filter water to give to rats or any specimen. So wouldn’t some negative effect appear in their research?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#13 DorianGrey

• 152 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:44 PM

I presume they don't make any adjustments and use tap water. The amount isn't that high in tap water, maybe 1mg/L vs 0.5mg in clean spring water. In the end you are probably looking at a DELTA effect, comparing two groups.

I found this on the net, it may be a bit overstated (kidney damage at 2mg???) but isn't totally off about the actual content:
"All by itself, studies show that 2mg of fluoride per liter of water is enough to damage to kidneys. Black and green tea can have nearly 2 mg of fluoride in a 12 oz. cup of tea – in addition to the fluoride in the water used to make the tea (which averages around 1 mg/liter of water.)
And unfortunately, this measurement of fluoride content does NOT include any aluminum fluoride that may be present. Recently it was discovered that when the aluminum fluoride is measured in tea (in addition to sodium fluoride), the amount of fluoride can be over 3 times higher. That 2 mg in your little cup of tea might actually be 6 mg. That’s really disturbing."

Edited by DorianGrey, 16 May 2013 - 11:48 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: green tea, flouride, egcg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users