My ADD Stack in Development

add adhd sct stack fog anxiety concentration motivation

• Please log in to reply
299 replies to this topic

#181 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:33 PM

This may already have been brought up in this thread before, but there was a 2011 -study that found a correlation between various errors in Glutamate pathways in the brain, and ADHD - but also connected to many other neurological disorders, like Bipolar, Schizophrenia, Major Depressive Disorder, and the list goes on.

Some are even going so far as saying that GRM -errors might actually be at the root of nearly all psychiatric or mental disease - a pretty important amino-acid, apparently.

The study is a bit problematic tho', because if ADHD is caused by errors in different GRM-genes, then there are in theory, something like 10 different variations on ADHD...! Medicating PERFECTLY could then only be done through sufficient genetic testing, otherwise a lot of people will be in the dark, and get incorrect medication.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22138692

There is however, also a lot suggesting that since the GRM -errors were only found in something like a total of 10% of ADHD-kids in the study, that GRM may only be applicable to a certain subset of ADHD, and the rest have other errors.

I would like to take this opportunity to once again make a case for Memantine - as some people with ADHD and ADD display heightened levels of Glutamate, suggesting they may have errors in a GRM-gene creating an excess of Glutamate in their system, and then theoretically mucking up their Dopamine-levels downstream. ( apparently Glutamate is involved in the regulation of many neurotransmitters, Dopamine being one of them)

Since Memantine is an antagonist for Glutamate ( admittedly, mostly on the NMDA-receptors), and a agonist on the D2-receptors - for dopamine, then Memantine may very well be a fairly good drug for a certain subset of ADHD.
  • like x 1

#182 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:10 PM

This may already have been brought up in this thread before, but there was a 2011 -study that found a correlation between various errors in Glutamate pathways in the brain, and ADHD - but also connected to many other neurological disorders, like Bipolar, Schizophrenia, Major Depressive Disorder, and the list goes on.

Some are even going so far as saying that GRM -errors might actually be at the root of nearly all psychiatric or mental disease - a pretty important amino-acid, apparently.

The study is a bit problematic tho', because if ADHD is caused by errors in different GRM-genes, then there are in theory, something like 10 different variations on ADHD...! Medicating PERFECTLY could then only be done through sufficient genetic testing, otherwise a lot of people will be in the dark, and get incorrect medication.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22138692

There is however, also a lot suggesting that since the GRM -errors were only found in something like a total of 10% of ADHD-kids in the study, that GRM may only be applicable to a certain subset of ADHD, and the rest have other errors.

I would like to take this opportunity to once again make a case for Memantine - as some people with ADHD and ADD display heightened levels of Glutamate, suggesting they may have errors in a GRM-gene creating an excess of Glutamate in their system, and then theoretically mucking up their Dopamine-levels downstream. ( apparently Glutamate is involved in the regulation of many neurotransmitters, Dopamine being one of them)

Since Memantine is an antagonist for Glutamate ( admittedly, mostly on the NMDA-receptors), and a agonist on the D2-receptors - for dopamine, then Memantine may very well be a fairly good drug for a certain subset of ADHD.

Good stuff Stinkorninjor. That reminds me has anyone heard of Fasoracetam? It's a mGluR agonist originally developed to treat Alzheimer’s disease but may be effective in ADHD individuals with mGluR mutations.

Dr. Hakonarson’s talk highlighted his work with a fasoracetam, a drug that was originally developed by the Japanese pharmaceutical company Nippon Shinyaku to treat Alzheimer’s disease but, after being put through clinical trials, was shelved for efficacy reasons. Dr. Hakonarson and his team are currently investigating whether fasoracetam could be used to treat ADHD, a project he called a “representation of what genomics is offering.”
Because mutations of the metabotropic glutamate receptor (mGluR) are found in 15 to 20 percent of ADHD patients, Dr. Hakonarson and his team are studying whether fasoracetam — an mGluR agonist — could be an effective treatment for ADHD in that patient population. The approach is similar to that taken by Yael Mossé, M.D., of the Center for Childhood Cancer Research. Dr. Mossé’s recent study of the adult lung cancer drug crizotinib to treat neuroblastoma produced highly encouraging early results, including several complete responses.
Likewise, fasoracetam has already been shown to ameliorate cognitive impairment and hyperactivity in animal models, Dr. Hakonarson noted, and if all goes well he and his team hope to launch a product by the end of 2016. That fasoracetam has already been through a battery of trials — 28 in all — allows for a truncated drug development timeline, and using genomics to determine new indications for available products can help speed therapies to market.

http://www.research....b/Oct12BtoB.pdf

You guys might what to check out the YouTube link in the PDF as well. I thought this was worth posting too. http://www.pnas.org/.../E4369.full.pdf

I need to comb through this information later. Right now I haven't even scratched the surface.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#183 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:51 PM

Fasoracetam sounds intriguing, especially considering its potential effects on metabotropic glutamate receptors. It's difficult finding information about it online tho'. Is it a controlled substance? Or is it even possible to order it online, like other racetams?

Would be interesting to be an early adopter, if more research is released in the near future, and if it's not a controlled substance, then we may all become test-pilots and give our reviews of it.

Good find as well, Metagene! =)

Edited by Stinkorninjor, 24 March 2014 - 07:54 PM.

#184 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:31 PM

Fasoracetam sounds intriguing, especially considering its potential effects on metabotropic glutamate receptors. It's difficult finding information about it online tho'. Is it a controlled substance? Or is it even possible to order it online, like other racetams?

Would be interesting to be an early adopter, if more research is released in the near future, and if it's not a controlled substance, then we may all become test-pilots and give our reviews of it.

Good find as well, Metagene! =)

Wiki genes is a excellent resource and Fasoracetam is definitely not a controlled substance. I found a couple of suppliers on Alibaba (yeah I know lol)

http://www.wikigenes...m/e/198695.html
https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing

4.3.4 Fasoracetam
Fasoracetam (NS 105, LAM 105) is a relatively
new candidate drug, which has potential
as a cognitive enhancer. It is absorbed rapidly
after oral administration in rats (maximum concentration
reached after 0.5 hours), distributes
intact[134] and excretes predominantly unchanged
from kidneys.[31] Bioavailability in rats, dogs and
monkeys were 97%, 90%and 79%, with a half-life
of 0.91, 2.8 and 1.3 hours, respectively.[31] It takes
a little longer for this drug to clear in elderly
people (half-life = 5.17 hours) than in young
people (4.45 hours),[32] which might limit its utility,
especially if it causes prolonged adverse drug
interactions. Its safety and efficacy have not been
determined yet.

I wonder if Fasoracetam could be the cure for those pesky Phenibut withdraws I keep hearing about ;)

Effect of a novel cognition enhancer NS-105 on learned helplessness in rats: possible involvement of GABA(B) receptor up-regulation after repeated treatment.

Shimidzu T1, Itoh Y, Oka M, Ishima T, Ukai Y, Yoshikuni Y, Kimura K.

Author information

Abstract

We have previously found that a cognition enhancer [(+)-5-oxo-D-prolinepiperidinamide monohydrate] (NS-105) reversed the inhibition of cyclic AMP formation induced by the GABA(B) receptor agonist baclofen. The GABA(B) receptor has been implicated in the pathophysiology of depressive illness. The present experiment was designed to evaluate the antidepressant activity of NS-105 in the forced swimming and learned helplessness tests in rats. NS-105 (1-100 mg/kg, p.o.) significantly decreased immobility time in the forced swimming test, an effect similar to that of desipramine. Repeated administration of NS-105 also reversed the failure to escape in the shuttle-box test of rats previously exposed to inescapable footshock. Biochemical data showed that repeated administration of NS-105 increased the number of GABA(B) receptors in rat cerebral cortex without affecting the binding properties of beta-adrenoceptors and 5-HT2 receptors. In contrast to other antidepressants, NS-105 did not inhibit monoamine uptake in vitro, nor did it change monoamine concentrations in brain tissues or extracellular fluids. These findings suggest that NS-105, which lacks an effect on monoaminergic systems, has potent antidepressant activity, which may involve up-regulation of GABA(B) receptors after repeated administration.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....6?dopt=Abstract

Hopefully someone will expand on this further:

A novel cognition enhancer NS-105 modulates adenylate cyclase activity through metabotropic glutamate receptors in primary neuronal culture.

Oka M1, Itoh Y, Tatsumi S, Ma FH, Ukai Y, Yoshikuni Y, Kimura K.

Author information

Abstract

The effect of (+)-5-oxo-D-prolinepiperidinamide monohydrate (NS-105), a novel cognition enhancer, on adenylate cyclase activity was investigated in cultured neurons of the mouse cerebral cortex. NS-105 (10(-7) and 10(-6) M) inhibited forskolin-stimulated cyclic AMP formation, an action that was dependent on pertussis toxin-sensitive G proteins. Conversely, in pertussis toxin-pretreated neurons, NS-105 (10(-7)-10(-5) M) significantly enhanced the forskolin-stimulated cyclic AMP formation, and this action was completely reversed by cholera toxin. A metabotropic glutamate receptor agonist (1S, 3R)-1-aminocyclopentane-1,3-dicarboxylic acid (1S, 3R-ACPD) produced similar bi-directional actions on the cyclic AMP formation. Both of these inhibitory and facilitatory actions of NS-105 and 1S, 3R-ACPD were blocked by L(+)-2-amino-3-phosphopropinoic acid (L-AP3). NS-105 (10(-6) M) and 1S, 3R-ACPD (10(-4) M) significantly enhanced isoproterenol- and adenosine-stimulated cyclic AMP formation. The enhancement of such Gs-coupled receptor agonists-stimulated cyclic AMP formation was also produced by quisqualate but not by L(+)-2-amino-4-phosphonobutanoate (L-AP4). The phosphoinositides hydrolysis was enhanced by 1S, 3R-ACPD (10(-4) M) but not by NS-105 (10(-6) M), however, 1S, 3R-ACPD-induced increase in phosphoinositides turnover was attenuated by NS-105. These findings suggest that NS-105 stimulates metabotropic glutamate receptor subclasses that are coupled both negatively and positively to adenylate cyclase, but it acts as an antagonist at the receptor subclasses that are linked to phosphoinositides hydrolysis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....4?dopt=Abstract

On a side note, this says Aniracetam reduces glutamate receptor desensitization:

http://www.pnas.org/.../10936.full.pdf

#185 YOLF

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:41 AM

FYI, I've been working on a LongeCity Abbreviations Guide and have been going through the HOT threads here. The abbreviations and acronyms in this thread have been added to:
Access LongeCity:
http://www.longecity...eviation-guide/

Please give it a look over and see if you can think of any additional entries or find mistakes.

#186 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

Hmm, I just saw something which is a bit disconcerting regarding Fasoracetam tho'... Or maybe I've got it all wrong, and you guys can spread some light on this.

We have previously found that a cognition enhancer [(+)-5-oxo-D-prolinepiperidinamide monohydrate] (NS-105) reversed the inhibition of cyclic AMP formation induced by the GABA(B) receptor agonist baclofen.

If this is correct... then Fasoracetam (NS-105), INCREASES the production of cAMP - and according to the info GetoutofBox found, many of us have too high of a production of cAMP, causing an imbalance in our neuro-transmitters. Seems like an awful stupid thing to take a drug that's going to increase signal-noise then. : \

But alas, it doesn't seem to be that simple...

NS-105 (10(-7) and 10(-6) M) inhibited forskolin-stimulated cyclic AMP formation

Because according to this, it instead INHIBITS cAMP. o_0 If both of these results are correct... then what kind of conclusion can we actually draw, on the effects of Fasoracetam, on cAMP, and possibly ADD?

Chosing to see things positively, I say this:

Fasoracetam is a potentially highly potent Neuro-transmitter BALANCER(!). It could then very well, be precisely what the Dr ordered.

#187 Jeoshua

• 662 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:28 PM

One conclusion that you can draw from that is that NS-105 and Forskolin work via the same pathway, and that NS-105 has a higher affinity for the same receptors than Forskolin does. It also, according the the former quote, works on the GABA(B) receptors similar to baclofen, but with a higher affinity for them than baclofen, and with the reverse effect.

#188 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:41 PM

Ey guys, I just got to thinking, from this here youtube-video, about an alternative view on AD(H)D:
http://www.utexas.ed...011/08/29/adhd/

The general idea, is that it's in fact, NOT an attention-disorder, but in reality, it's a TIMING disorder - sort of, our internal CPU-clock, does not beat to a consistent rhytm, but more erratically. This imho, feels like a pretty valid idea actually - because some of us, ( like me) have DCD as well, a difficulty coordinating complex movements, in a timely fashion. And there's a lot of us that have erratic sleep-cycles as well, our cirkadian rhytms appear more easily disturbed.

And the way he talks about how the movements of ADHD-people looks more like "white noise" than the "pink noise (1/f)" that the movements of neurotypical people mimic, seems reasonable - isn't the theory of effect with Intuniv, that it helps suppress signal noise, reducing excessive cAMP?

Not sure what ideas for treatment we can glean from this, but if the problem is timing and not attention, then perhaps it can help to make us look at new medical treatments - perhaps timing-training? Like, learn to play drums, or some such.

Can this knowledge, the idea of timing, of white signal-noise, be connected to the idea of Glutamate network abnormalities?

#189 Pound

• 19 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:05 AM

You guys are thinking way to deep into this. He probably has subclinical hypothyrodism, especially if his TSH is around 2.5ish. You want your TSH to be around 0.8-1 for maximum well being.

OP do high dose iodine (100mg per day, NOT 100mcg). You'll detox for the first week but itll increase your thyroid hormones and it'll make you feel much better. Your TSH will increase however as your body ramps up production of iodine protein transporters to get iodine to your cells. The link between hypothyroidism and adhd is very strong.

#190 Duke318

• 25 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:08 AM

You guys are thinking way to deep into this. He probably has subclinical hypothyrodism, especially if his TSH is around 2.5ish. You want your TSH to be around 0.8-1 for maximum well being.

OP do high dose iodine (100mg per day, NOT 100mcg). You'll detox for the first week but itll increase your thyroid hormones and it'll make you feel much better. Your TSH will increase however as your body ramps up production of iodine protein transporters to get iodine to your cells. The link between hypothyroidism and adhd is very strong.

This is very true, but I wouldn't just megadose iodine blindly. Maybe after a blood/urine test can confirm an iodine deficiency, decent amounts can be added in, or perhaps a trial of Kelp or Iodoral. Subclinical hypothyroidism can also be caused by the adrenals.

#191 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:14 AM

A more recent update on the Glutamate connection - it would appear, as if there's a reason only 10-13% of ADHD -sufferers have GMR -issues - they have decreased cognitive ability as a comorbid disorder.

It would appear, as if this group, who has lessened cognitive abilities, i.e, LOW IQ, are the subset of ADHD that could likely benefit the most from Glutamate agonists.

http://bjp.rcpsych.o.../199/5/398.full

http://www.plosgenet...al.pgen.1002334

Check it out, fellas... and give me your opinions. Have I misinterpreted the info? I kind of feel that I haven't since there are others, such as this bloke:

http://brainposts.bl...654723921688137

That have come to the same conclusions. Incidentally, since I suffer from DCD as a comorbid disease ( and possibly mild discalculia as well, although unproven), I might actually be a part of this subgroup, the ones that have debilitating comorbid disorders, so I might be one of the people that would benefit from highly selective glutamate-agonists, although to a lesser degree than the ID-group. ( others that were thought to benefit where those with autism for instance, but ID is the biggest group)

And incidentally, there are other highly selective glutamate agonists in development, although they appear to be mainly for the anti-psychotic market, but things are definitely a-cookin' on that front.

LY404039 is a novel mGlu2/3 agonist under development. It appears to have some rather unpleasant side-effects at the moment, however. And would probably only be effective on a very small sub-set of adhd sufferers, as we appear to mostly have mGlu5 errors anyway.

http://thelastpsychi...amate_agon.html

#192 explr9

• 20 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:55 AM

I read this whole thread and was very inspired to break down my issues into various components and sort them out one by one. Very helpful. Too bad none of my adhd docs ever thought about doing this. I've been on Ritilian for 15 years. 

Trying to understand anxiety...  I concluded that for me, anxiety is the Hyper part in my adHd. 

Today I just read in this other thread (#62)  about glutamate hyper-excitability. It really rocked my world.

My experience with racetams was exhilarating but counterproductive (so far) probably due to the issues described in that linked thread.

My current understanding is that the PFC is an inhibitory filter on all the incoming demands on attention, but that GABA is like a pre-filter. Excess Glutamate, or too many glutamate receptors overwhelms GABA's capacity to calm the brain down and mediate brainstem arousal.

Sorry, no references. Just my experience and interpretation. 

#193 rowebil

• 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:54 AM

Does anyone feel that they have constant negative thoughts about doing a project, starting or completing, that they don't even finish it?

I have ADD (self-diagnosed, but also a Psychology and Behavioral Neuroscience major) and some of the things I wish to do, aren't appealing to me. I have constant negative thinking like "Oh, this might not work out." This could be the problem I have sometimes.

ADD is responsible (for me personally) having the adrenaline rush with doing a project that is rushed - such an example consists of me going for iced coffee instead of on my way to an appointment, just to be late; finishing my car only when my Dad yells at me and nags about the length of time it is taking; and ideally, always completing assignments the last minute so I have more urgency to get it done.

But most of the time, the project I wish to start or complete, lack any interest or are associated with thoughts of failure, etc - even though I've had success with them previously. 

I'm like "Oh, I'll make money when I'm out of it." 

So to change this predisposition, I say "Make money now, and then I'll be able to trade currency, and make money on the fly."

But I still lack any motivation to get things done. Does anyone know ways to circumvent this issue?

#194 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:18 PM

Does anyone feel that they have constant negative thoughts about doing a project, starting or completing, that they don't even finish it?

I have ADD (self-diagnosed, but also a Psychology and Behavioral Neuroscience major) and some of the things I wish to do, aren't appealing to me. I have constant negative thinking like "Oh, this might not work out." This could be the problem I have sometimes.

ADD is responsible (for me personally) having the adrenaline rush with doing a project that is rushed - such an example consists of me going for iced coffee instead of on my way to an appointment, just to be late; finishing my car only when my Dad yells at me and nags about the length of time it is taking; and ideally, always completing assignments the last minute so I have more urgency to get it done.

But most of the time, the project I wish to start or complete, lack any interest or are associated with thoughts of failure, etc - even though I've had success with them previously. 

So to change this predisposition, I say "Make money now, and then I'll be able to trade currency, and make money on the fly."

But I still lack any motivation to get things done. Does anyone know ways to circumvent this issue?

Yes. This describes a lot of my problems as well - some of the problems you describe are associated with our lack of dopamine - it really puts a cap on motivation at times.

But there's also the problem of commorbid glutamate-receptor mutations that cause other problems, than ADD, that is.

For me, so far, my own diagnosis consists of Developmental Coordination Disorder, and Discalculia - they make me the WORST at complex sports, and solving mathematical equations. And when I see how so many around me, which I consider myself physical or mental equals, perhaps even superiors, succeed far easier at these tasks, then that puts a cap on my motivation as well.

It becomes a self-defeating issue, when trying to complete projects which you have quirks in your nervous-system that impede your progress - your low dopamine-levels means that you will be even LESS determined to complete these projects.

There are a few solutions around this, however.

1. MEDICATE - no, it's not a cheat, we are simply not able to do certain things, a man with a limp needs a crutch, and that's not cheating, that's just common decency. Learning how to medicate properly, and with WHAT to medicate, is a whole other story though.

2. Work in a TEAM - if, like me, you have a great deal of friends, and one of your stronger sides, is socializing, then that creates a GREAT positive feedback-loop for you. It lifts your basic dopamine-levels, since you like the social environment, and it helps to do things for others, since you're a team, than simply for yourself.

These are the advice that, I, myself, can give you.

#195 GetOutOfBox

• Topic Starter
  • 161 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:26 PM

I read this whole thread and was very inspired to break down my issues into various components and sort them out one by one. Very helpful. Too bad none of my adhd docs ever thought about doing this. I've been on Ritilian for 15 years. 

Trying to understand anxiety...  I concluded that for me, anxiety is the Hyper part in my adHd. 

Today I just read in this other thread (#62)  about glutamate hyper-excitability. It really rocked my world.

My experience with racetams was exhilarating but counterproductive (so far) probably due to the issues described in that linked thread.

My current understanding is that the PFC is an inhibitory filter on all the incoming demands on attention, but that GABA is like a pre-filter. Excess Glutamate, or too many glutamate receptors overwhelms GABA's capacity to calm the brain down and mediate brainstem arousal.

Sorry, no references. Just my experience and interpretation. 

The PFC does act as an inhibitory filter in a fashion, but it's more complicated than that. Think of it more like a gating mechanism, it filters out extraneous data, as well as modulates the response of more primitive areas of the brain (i.e the amygdala). It also acts as a sort of "network hub" for the brain, a lot of different areas all connect through the PFC.

As for individual neurochemicals, you can't really generalize their actions. Their function really depends on the area of the brain you're talking about, for example, GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter, but by inhibiting one area it may indirectly excite another. The same goes for glutamate. When you're talking about function and purpose you have to look at the physical structure, the chemicals are merely the messengers for said structures.

Physical differences in these structures accounts for why people often respond differently to neurological drugs. Alcohol is an inhibitory drug (GABA agonist, various glutamate receptor antagonist), yet in some people it causes hyperexcitability and aggression, whereas in others it just causes sedation and a flatter mood. Same goes for antidepressants. Some raise mood, some do not. Although human brains generally develop their basic structures similarly to each other, individual genetic differences can produce minor variations that can completely change function. Some people are vulnerable to addiction to benzo's, and some can take them indefinitely without issue (the person is not immune to addiction, but it is harder and requires more aggressive dosing to produce).

Yep, it's my single greatest problem. As of late however I'm beginning to suspect it's psychological; I've noticed that in some areas I have massive willpower (such as researching ADHD xD), or focussing is easy (reading, I can read for hours and hours). It seems to me that if I was physically incapable of motivating myself or focusing I would not be able to selectively do it. So my thoughts are perhaps there's a biological mechanism at play that makes it more difficult, which is reinforced psychologically. In such a case the solution would be a combination of medication and rehabilitative therapy.

My point still stands however that ADD/ADHD is a complex and diverse group of disorders, so I'm talking about myself here. It may be different for you. I would however do some introspection to see if perhaps you've been missing some areas you excel at.

Yes. This describes a lot of my problems as well - some of the problems you describe are associated with our lack of dopamine - it really puts a cap on motivation at times.

But there's also the problem of commorbid glutamate-receptor mutations that cause other problems, than ADD, that is.

For me, so far, my own diagnosis consists of Developmental Coordination Disorder, and Discalculia - they make me the WORST at complex sports, and solving mathematical equations. And when I see how so many around me, which I consider myself physical or mental equals, perhaps even superiors, succeed far easier at these tasks, then that puts a cap on my motivation as well.

It becomes a self-defeating issue, when trying to complete projects which you have quirks in your nervous-system that impede your progress - your low dopamine-levels means that you will be even LESS determined to complete these projects.

There are a few solutions around this, however.

1. MEDICATE - no, it's not a cheat, we are simply not able to do certain things, a man with a limp needs a crutch, and that's not cheating, that's just common decency. Learning how to medicate properly, and with WHAT to medicate, is a whole other story though.

2. Work in a TEAM - if, like me, you have a great deal of friends, and one of your stronger sides, is socializing, then that creates a GREAT positive feedback-loop for you. It lifts your basic dopamine-levels, since you like the social environment, and it helps to do things for others, since you're a team, than simply for yourself.

These are the advice that, I, myself, can give you.

I wouldn't worry about who's "superior" or not. Those people you think of as superior are probably inferior in turn to someone else. If you turn life into a contest of benchmarking raw intellect performance, it becomes pretty boring. Creativity is far more important in my books, and I'm not just quoting some motivational poster x).

If medication has failed you, I would consider rehabilitative therapy in addition; it may be the combo you need for your dyscalculia. Though in today's society math is being more and more offloaded to our technology, so if you're not planning on getting into engineering or mathematical theory I wouldn't be too concerned.

#196 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:08 PM

Ey getoutofbox, now that you're back, would you mind pitching in on Dr Hakonsons idea for using Fasoracetam as a ADHD -treatment? What do you think? Could it be effective? =)

What do you think about those 10-13% of ADHD sufferers that appear to have GMR -mutations? Why only 12%? Glutamate does appear to affect dopamine, very heavily, so I'm perplexed why it's only connected to such a low percentage.

And then there's the implication that apparently all of those 12%, they are the ADHD -sufferers that have the most debilitating comorbid cognitive mutations as well - such as Low IQ.

Incidentally, could the reason some of us with ADHD are intelligent, creative, and quick learners, but only within certain areas, have to do with potential excess of Glutamate? And the reason why 12% that have low IQ, are afflicted as such, is because they instead have a LOW levels of Glutamate?

I'd love for you to really sink your teeth into this whole glutamate-craze that is beginning to surface, within ADHD -research. ( and certainly in this thread, lol!)

And another thing... I still don't get what Fasoracetam is supposed to do... is it an agonist or antagonist of Glutamate? And on WHICH receptors does it work?? Most other agonists only bind to a certain select receptors, lik mGlu 1, 5, 2, 3 and so on. I still don't get what receptors Fasoracetam is supposed to work on...

I wouldn't worry about who's "superior" or not. Those people you think of as superior are probably inferior in turn to someone else. If you turn life into a contest of benchmarking raw intellect performance, it becomes pretty boring. Creativity is far more important in my books, and I'm not just quoting some motivational poster x).

If medication has failed you, I would consider rehabilitative therapy in addition; it may be the combo you need for your dyscalculia. Though in today's society math is being more and more offloaded to our technology, so if you're not planning on getting into engineering or mathematical theory I wouldn't be too concerned.

I suppose I shouldn't get too bothered by it, but it's getting really tricky, keeping up with karate, when I constantly get my ass, physically kicked, because I can't keep up. I have this goal tho', I want to reach a blue-belt status, and then I'll just take it easy on that whole thing... won't think too much about it after that. I'll just go there to have fun, after that. Probably take a break, and get back to dancing instead, too.

The math thing is coincidentally something I haven't thought much about, until I recently did the national test for Scholastic Aptitude - and subsequently I got my ass kicked by the mathematical section. I used to want to become an electrical engineer in the past, and the math was always a terror back then, but after graduating as an engineer, I finally came to my senses and have been trying to become an artist and a writer ever since - things that I'm actually good at.

I'm starting to get somewhat good at researching medicine as well, but I can't ever become a dr, because you need a boat-load of points on your scholastic test, which you can only get by scoring tons of MATH-points, which I'll never be able to do.

So I guess that's why I'm a bit testy about the whole math-thing these days, I was recently reminded that it was one of my weaknesses.

Medication has indeed failed me to a certain extent, but only because I've been prescribed Concerta, which has tremendously unpleasant side-effects on me - primarily I believe, because I have ADD and not ADHD - it would appear as if the general consensus is that it works awesomely for those with ad(H)d, but terribly for us with ADD. In my case, among the many side-effects, the worst one is the anxiety it produces - it's just nerve-wrecking to be on this stuff. It seems to make my serotonine-levels drop like a ROCK after prolonged use.

I have had some trouble with depression in the past, but I had moved beyond it, but on Concerta... it came back, big-time. Following a longer bout with Concerta was the first time I've actually been at all suicidal. I've been down in the gutters, but never have I wanted to die. On this drug... it seemed like not such a bad idea, all of a sudden...

I'm still very hopeful for a combo of Modafinil and Intuniv tho' - seems like a really good synergistic combo. Add a bit of ashwaganda, and I hope to be golden. ^^ The only problem is that Scandinavian doctors are often in the dark about these newer compounds... All they see is their basic supply of stimulants: meth, and a little bit of AMP( but only for special cases).

You're definitely right that ADHD is a complex group, and that we need conversational therapy as well as medication - speaking of myself, I do have a lot of self-esteem issues, brought about by my difficulties.

Seeing past those, and finding your strengths, is key to a better life.

Edited by Stinkorninjor, 12 April 2014 - 12:29 PM.

#197 GetOutOfBox

• Topic Starter
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:57 PM

Very interesting new study.

#198 Duke318

• 25 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:28 AM

You may want to investigate and get tested for an MTHFR defect.  I tested positive homozygous mutation for the 677 variation of the MTHFR defect.  I haven't started a protocol yet, as my problems are massive and detailed in my thread.

#199 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:53 PM

Another bit of evidence to suggest Glutamate -agonists might be the key to treating several sub-groups of ADHD.

http://www.nature.co.../tp201411a.html

This study found that a lot of us have lower Glutamate than the baseline population, and that significantly lower levels were all involved in greater symptoms of inattention.

Man, I really wish all of us could be on some glutamate -agonists right now... If only we could figure out which ones would be the most effective tho'? Fasoracetam is one possible compound, but is it the right one?

Dr Hakonsson has been testing that stuff for close to 5 years now, but haven't published anything that suggests any results from administering it to patients. Yet I do believe I read that he's got plans to launch it as a drug to combat ADHD somewhere around 2017.

I do wonder... do you guys know what the most logical reason is why those of us with ADHD-PI, without hyperactivity, are actually hypO-active? Is it that our brains have some extra impairments, that inhibit our ability to generate heightened adrenal levels, to compensate for the low uptake of dopamine and norepinephrine? What's the general theory here anyway? Why are we different from the Hyper-active guys?

#200 chris106

• 292 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:07 PM

Symptoms of excess Acetylcholine would fit ADD-PI as well, low dopamine and everything.

Regarding the Glutamate angle - maybe taking precursors like Glutamine, Ketoglutarate or Glycin could be enough to lessen symptoms if that was the case?

I for one get a relief in symptoms when taking Modafinil, which increases Glutamate, Histamine, Dopamine and Serotonine in various parts of the brain - with Acetylcholine being pretty much the only transmitter it doesn't (directly) affect.

Cholinergics on the other hand make my symptoms worse instantly.

Guess I'm gonna try both angles -  Glutamate precursors  and maybe a TCA like Anafranil (chlomipramine) to lower ACh.

Maybe even (carefully) combine them with low dose Modafinil?

It's too damn bad there are very few if any selective Acetylcholine antagonists or even Acetylcholine-esterase activators available...

Edited by chris106, 13 May 2014 - 10:17 PM.

#201 GetOutOfBox

• Topic Starter
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:19 AM

You may want to investigate and get tested for an MTHFR defect.  I tested positive homozygous mutation for the 677 variation of the MTHFR defect.  I haven't started a protocol yet, as my problems are massive and detailed in my thread.

Hmm, definitely seems very relevant for people with a plethora of seemingly unrelated symptoms. Note that an MTHFR defect would inherently affect multiple organ systems and thus is not likely to be the case if the problems are merely neurological.

Another bit of evidence to suggest Glutamate -agonists might be the key to treating several sub-groups of ADHD.

http://www.nature.co.../tp201411a.html

This study found that a lot of us have lower Glutamate than the baseline population, and that significantly lower levels were all involved in greater symptoms of inattention.

Man, I really wish all of us could be on some glutamate -agonists right now... If only we could figure out which ones would be the most effective tho'? Fasoracetam is one possible compound, but is it the right one?

Dr Hakonsson has been testing that stuff for close to 5 years now, but haven't published anything that suggests any results from administering it to patients. Yet I do believe I read that he's got plans to launch it as a drug to combat ADHD somewhere around 2017.

I do wonder... do you guys know what the most logical reason is why those of us with ADHD-PI, without hyperactivity, are actually hypO-active? Is it that our brains have some extra impairments, that inhibit our ability to generate heightened adrenal levels, to compensate for the low uptake of dopamine and norepinephrine? What's the general theory here anyway? Why are we different from the Hyper-active guys?

Glutamate is definitely an understudied area of AD(H)Dm, and that is an excellent study. However I'm wary to assume any single one neuro-circuit is responsible for the disorder. Quite a few studies have all pointed to different areas of the brain, and the most relevant area (both in terms of logical function and observed deficits) seems to be the Prefrontal-Cortex. I also very strongly have come to believe that there is NO single AD(H)D disorder, but an array of disorders with different causes that create similar symptoms. This theory best explains the lack of consistency in studies observed deficits as well as how patients respond to various ADHD so dramatically (Ritalin works for many, but it also fails to work for many). I have the same feelings in regards to most psychiatric disorders.

As for your question, there is no definitive answer. My best guess is that ADD aka ADHD-PI is primarily mesolimbic pathway dysfunction, with minor dysfunction in the prefrontal cortex. This combination would produce a syndrome of erratic response to reward/punishment, with only minor self-regulation issues (compromised ability to direct internal attention). ADHD-PH (Primarily Hyperactive) is more likely a case of mostly just severe prefrontal cortex dysfunction. This in theory produces a syndrome of severely compromised ability to self-regulate which affects not only internal behaviors but external behaviors as well (the PFC's purpose of "gating" impulses is disrupted), and so you have a child who not only has trouble controlling their attention, but they have great difficulty controlling their impulsive actions.

The reason why it's so difficult to pin down despite modern advances in scanning technologies is that the brain is capable of adapting to selective impairments, particularly the developing brain in toddlers to children around 12 years of age. Other areas of the brain may develop differently in order to "take up the slack" of the dysfunctional components; albeit not as effectively (additionally, some areas may not intentionally develop differently, but are forced to due to the dysfunctional pathways). The result of this is that brain scans show minor (and major) abnormalities everywhere, obscuring the origin of the problem. Once the child is an adult, reversing the defects may not be possible, as the brain will have developed differently than it should have, and thus may not perform better (or may even perform worse, explaining why some ADHD patients react adversely to stimulants, even mild doses) if the root problem is corrected too late.

Symptoms of excess Acetylcholine would fit ADD-PI as well, low dopamine and everything.

Regarding the Glutamate angle - maybe taking precursors like Glutamine, Ketoglutarate or Glycin could be enough to lessen symptoms if that was the case?

I for one get a relief in symptoms when taking Modafinil, which increases Glutamate, Histamine, Dopamine and Serotonine in various parts of the brain - with Acetylcholine being pretty much the only transmitter it doesn't (directly) affect.

Cholinergics on the other hand make my symptoms worse instantly.

Guess I'm gonna try both angles -  Glutamate precursors  and maybe a TCA like Anafranil (chlomipramine) to lower ACh.

Maybe even (carefully) combine them with low dose Modafinil?

It's too damn bad there are very few if any selective Acetylcholine antagonists or even Acetylcholine-esterase activators available...

Precurors are rarely good drug targets. The problem is that there are too many factors in the body preventing precursors from affecting levels of the chemicals derived from them, such as rate-limited enzymes, neurochemical transporters, etc. At best they may cause very temporary increases in neurotransmitter activity, that rapidly stabilizes. Most studies suggesting sustainable positive improvement from precursor supplementation have quality issues, and such studies are few and far between. They can be helpful when one is unsure if they're are getting insufficient amounts from their diet however.

If you want to target the Glutaminergic system, there are several agents that are available. Sunifiram is a good glycine receptor agonist, but I've found it to be a bit too potent for comfort. Sarcosine is a milder glutaminergic agent, acting as a mild glycine reuptake inhibitor, which to me seems like a better (and safer) target.

Modafinil is definitely on my list of things to try, as it has some very interesting observed activity, very diverse in it's actions, yet still mild enough to avoid severe side-effects. The only deterrent for me is the cost and difficulty obtaining in some countries (apparently Canadian customs are pretty tough on these things), unless you live in the EU or India.

As for acetylcholine, I am skeptical of it being very relevant to ADHD. There isn't much evidence implicating those circuits (and the studies I've found seem to implicate a deficit, rather than an excess of it), and I haven't heard of any widespread success of the very common acetylcholinergic nootropics (piracetam, etc) in ADHD users (for ADHD symptoms) on the forums. Furthermore, acetylcholine antagonists are very risky to play around with, as getting the dose (or potency) wrong can cause paralysis affecting the respiratory muscles, and thus death.

• like x 2

#202 3mp0w3r

• 79 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:04 AM

I am pretty sure I have ADD myself.  I can't read all 7 pages of this tonight.  I wish salient points could be summarized in the original post like they try to do on the android (XDA) forums.  

#203 chris106

• 292 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:24 PM

As for acetylcholine, I am skeptical of it being very relevant to ADHD. There isn't much evidence implicating those circuits (and the studies I've found seem to implicate a deficit, rather than an excess of it), and I haven't heard of any widespread success of the very common acetylcholinergic nootropics (piracetam, etc) in ADHD users (for ADHD symptoms) on the forums. Furthermore, acetylcholine antagonists are very risky to play around with, as getting the dose (or potency) wrong can cause paralysis affecting the respiratory muscles, and thus death.

If at all, excess ACh might play a role in ADD-PI , definetely not in ADHD. Low Dopamine and low Serotonine, which can result from excess ACh, might lead to motivational problems and ahedonia, symptoms that fit the ADD-PI subtype.

You might be right though, and the problem that Acetylcholine receptors are dangerous  to play around with remains. I guess the only realistic options are 1st gen antihistamines and TCAs. Antihistamines are pretty much out, since they are too sedating.

With the TCAs, there are the 3 subtypes Serotonine specific agonists, Noradrenaline specific agonists, and a few that increase both.

I've tried one from the first class, Anafranil, but it was too sedating - I might try one from the other two classes, if I get the chance...

#204 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:22 PM

I'd argue you should one of the ones that increases both Noradrenaline and Serotonin, yeah? Since them 3 dopa, sero and nora are connected, I figure you'll feel the best on a compound that affects more than one of them.

I could be incorrect tho', but I figure it's logical, since most of these agents that only affect one of these 3, always seems to give me more side-effects, and easier shifts me into depression or what-have-you.

#205 chris106

• 292 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:09 PM

You are right, those were my thoughts exactly.

And since Serotonine keeps Noradrenaline in check, I would hope that it would even out nicely  without too many sides...

I will check out wich one of those has a high affinity for the muscarinic acetylcholine receptors and is widely available, that would probably be my pick.

#206 Frigo

• 24 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:49 AM

There is no such thing as ADD-PI.

I have ADHD, Primarily Inattentive, and find that CDP-Choline and Choline Bitartrate is pretty bad for me, making me anxious, wired, depressed or unable to sleep. Alpha-GPC however has no such problem, in fact it improves my attention.

The widespread myth that high Acetylcholine = low Dopamine is way too simplistic. Both Aniracetam and Alpha-GPC increases Dopamine and Serotonin in various areas of the brain via Cholinergic mechanisms:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11597608

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23244432

In fact Alcohol of all things increase Dopamine in the Nucleus Accumbens by a Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptor mediated mechanism in the Ventral Tegmental Area:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23641218

If at all, excess ACh might play a role in ADD-PI , definetely not in ADHD. Low Dopamine and low Serotonine, which can result from excess ACh, might lead to motivational problems and ahedonia, symptoms that fit the ADD-PI subtype.

You might be right though, and the problem that Acetylcholine receptors are dangerous  to play around with remains. I guess the only realistic options are 1st gen antihistamines and TCAs. Antihistamines are pretty much out, since they are too sedating.

With the TCAs, there are the 3 subtypes Serotonine specific agonists, Noradrenaline specific agonists, and a few that increase both.

I've tried one from the first class, Anafranil, but it was too sedating - I might try one from the other two classes, if I get the chance...

• dislike x 1

#207 chris106

• 292 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:04 PM

There is no such thing as ADD-PI.

ADHD-PI, my bad.

Edited by chris106, 16 May 2014 - 08:20 PM.

#208 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:23 PM

All right fellas, gonna' need a bit of advice here.

FINALLY got to meet the ADHD-doc' here in my local health-care center. I presented both Intuniv and Modafinil to him, along with valid documentation of their effects - but of course... he didn't even look at it, and discarded it completely.

We then talked about Dexedrine and Metamina ( same thing, but in nordic countries) - no dice. No dice on Adderall as well.

Basically... he wrote me a perscription for more MPH. YAY!

Not.

IMHO, MPH FRIGGIN SUCKS!!! The anxiety it generates basically makes me want to crawl out of my skin, and the very thought of having to plug that sh*t into my veins, AGAIN, this time potentially even WORSE, is taking a major toll on my mood, since the expectation of a failur, in itself, is giving me anxiety.

WHY, WHY, WHY must the med-rules be so god-damn limited?! I understand... do no harm... but he knows DAMN WELL that giving me more MPH is a waste of time - I need a smoother, far softer stimulant, or it's going to trigger anxiety like there's no tomorrow.

And since Intuniv isn't even launched as a drug in the nordic region, that was out of the question as well - he had no idea what it was, and wouldn't even look at the documentation.

Man... I am NOT looking forward to f***ing around with Ritalin... that sh*t will no doubt work EVEN WORSE than Concerta, so right now I feel majorly bummed.

F**K IT!

Anyways... just felt like wenting... dunno' how much more of this I can take, quite frankly. I just want my life to TRULY start happening! I'm a writer, designer, painter, sculptor, even inventor, yet I can't do SH*T with my ideas, until my meds are perfect. F***... According to the tests I should be a card-carrying member of Mensa.

It's so annoying... seeing my potential... seeing what I could be... but unable to do... anything. Being stuck. Frozen in time. Frozen in one perticular state of life - unable to advance, my carreer, my love-life, or just starting to get over my commorbid problems.

I think I realized I've got another commorbid problem btw, I don't have just DCD and Discalculia, but I also seem to have Disgraphia as well - it would explain why I'm having a harder time evolving as an artist, than my friends. It also explains why my hand-writing is crap, and a few other things. I could be wrong tho', in some ways, it almost seems like Disgraphia and DCD are the same thing.

All right, enough of the whining, vent done. Suggestions?

I still have a perscription for Concerta - should I use that, but COMBINED with Ritalin? Can a small dose of Ritalin in the evening, get me past that bullsh*t of a crash that we all experience in the afternoon, with Stims?

#209 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:08 PM

Why dont you like ritalin? i cant tolerate it without propranol wich abolishes the horrible anxiety, its like a miracle drug for me haha before that i couldnt tolerate any dari.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#210 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:10 PM

The anxiety is precisely it. I get awful anxiety from Concerta, and I have no reason to think Ritalin is any different. Especially the crash... terrible!

We'll see tho', maybe I can mitigate the crash with some clever micro-dosing! =) I'm actually on 15 mg right now... Feeling the effects, added motivation etc, but QUITE the heart-palpitating as well - damn! It's almost like the first time on Concerta, jeesh!

I figure, by using maybe another 2.5 mg when it wears off, I can slip out of the crash, and have a smoother experience. This pulse-thing is a little bit scary tho', which is one of the reasons why I get anxiety from MPH-products, I guess.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: add, adhd, sct, stack, fog, anxiety, concentration, motivation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users