• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Mucuna pruriens - a possible "cure" or at least stop for alzheimer?

alzheimers catecholamines amyloid mucuna pruriens

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BioFreak

• 541 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

well I came across this study:

http://www.fasebj.or.../9/962.full.pdf

Basically it says that l-dopa, dopamine and epinephrine not only inhibit the growth of amyloid, but also disaggregate it.

Its an in vivo study.

We also know that treatment with l-dopa has a lot of side effects which treatment with mucuna pruriens seed does not have. And mp replenishes catecholamine levels, while l-dopa does only increase dopamine.
mp is also neuroprotective, while l-dopa isn't.

Now it isn't a whole cure though - amyloid is neurotoxic to neurons exposed to it, so treatment with mucuna pruriens would likely only prevent further damage, and give already damaged but not dead neurons the chance to recover since amyloid stress would decrease.

Once amyloid is on the decrease, a therapy could include substances which allow the brain to regenerate and so further improve the mental state.

Sounds as an effective means of preventing alzheimers to me, though.

#2 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

Mucuna hasnt god cardidopa, and it hasnt got ldopa's toxiticy, hmm oh wait, perhaps allmost none ldopa gets in the brain like when youd take ldopa on its own and its anti parkinson effects come from something else.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 BioFreak

• Topic Starter
  • 541 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

Not my experience. I can easily increase brain dopamine levels with mucuna pruriens. Its been suggested that mp has some substance that works like carbidopa. And the studies I know support all this.

#4 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

I've got Source Naturals Mucuna Pruriens extract 166mg, containing 100mg L-DOPA. I've usually taken it with EGCG (green tea extract) that works as DDCI. I realize it's unnecessary high percent extract and I'm missing benefits of the whole herb.

I recently bought some raw powdered Mucuna. I'm gonna try it alone and will be doing comparisons how I feel the effects differ.

In the future I will probably do some kind of combination of the whole herb and the extract (+EGCG) for best and safe effects.

Edited by Galaxyshock, 07 March 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#5 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

An increase in the stimulating action of L-DOPA was observed upon the administration of rosavin and the tinctures of Schizandra chinensis and Echinacea purpurea.

http://link.springer...-0205-5?LI=true

Schisandra indeed goes well with Mucuna. Very nice moodlift.

#6 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

Not my experience. I can easily increase brain dopamine levels with mucuna pruriens. Its been suggested that mp has some substance that works like carbidopa. And the studies I know support all this.

You dont have parkinson, 5HTP on its own works too, but elevating levels like with cardidopa (egcg) perhaps we replicate the neurotoxic effects of ldopa that way, i actually dont beleive this but it is quite possible if you think about it.

#7 airplanepeanuts

• 352 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

You dont have parkinson, 5HTP on its own works too, but elevating levels like with cardidopa (egcg) perhaps we replicate the neurotoxic effects of ldopa that way, i actually dont beleive this but it is quite possible if you think about it.

I was looking around the net, if ldopa high mucuna will lead to dyskinesia. I didn't find anything. But I was afraid to take it long term, even though it feels quite nice. I agree with medievil here.

Anyone take it long term?

#8 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

Couple years ago I took it for few months several days a week with some breaks. With 15% extract the first side effect was gastointestinal irritation then some anxiety and restlessness. 66% extract lacked the irritation side effect but gave more mental sides. I usually used them with EGCG. Both started to make me feel unhealthy and feverish in continuous use. I think the extract should be balanced by taking a serotonin precursor, but with whole herb it's not necessary as it supposably also increases serotonin?

I'm thinking the healthiest would be combination of minimal effective dose of full-spectrum Mucuna and one or more of the potentiating adaptogens (schisandra, rhodiola or echinacea).

Schisandra for example is also neuroprotective:
http://onlinelibrary...3.0016/abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20740476
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23150075
http://onlinelibrary...enticated=false

Himalaya makes a Mucuna supplement that combines extract of only 15mg standardized L-DOPA and full-spectrum stem powder. I think it should be fine too.

Benefits of Mucuna for me have been:
Increased motivation, sense of well-being and libido
Improved mood, muscle tone and skin
Potentiation of caffeine/stimulants

The gastrointestinal irritation for me would be the first clue that it's time to take a break.

Edited by Galaxyshock, 07 March 2013 - 10:52 PM.

#9 airplanepeanuts

• 352 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

Feverish is a good description of the feeling that stuff gives you.

#10 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:00 AM

Does anyone know the theraputic dose of Mucuna for Alzhimmers disease? Reading these messages makes me afraid to take it but I have Alzhimmers and I think I had better take it but how much should I take?

#11 koda

• 7 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:09 AM

I agree that taking Mucuna pruriens with green tea or an AADC inhibitor increases the risks of dyskinesia & other side effects by far. I heavily experimented with Mucuna pruriens over a 1-2 year period mixing it with all sorts of different herbs and took green tea with it every time. The effects I experienced were strong adrenal stimulation coupled with the relaxing/strengthening effect from from dopamine. Very enjoyable for quite a while, almost thought I found NZT until I started getting side effects such as anxiety, paranoia, & mild muscle twitches. I feel taking Mucuna with green tea & a stimulant source such as caffeine or ephedrine can deplete the adrenals very strongly. The synergy is not to be taken lightly.

Lately I have been considering taking Mucuna alone, as it has a much more relaxing & adaptogenic effect. I dare not take Mucuna with Green tea daily again, but it would be wonderful to be able to find a dose that did not cause issues & could be taken daily. Red Ginseng makes a decent substitute for Mucuna pruriens I have found in some regards, but is a bit more hostile, while Mucuna feels almost lovey-dovey at times.

Edited by koda, 29 March 2014 - 06:10 AM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#12 airplanepeanuts

• 352 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:54 PM

Red Ginseng makes a decent substitute for Mucuna pruriens I have found in some regards, but is a bit more hostile, while Mucuna feels almost lovey-dovey at times.

Ha, nice.

In my experience white ginseng is more on the lovey-dovey side than red.

Ginseng is also more subtle than Mucuna, except maybe if it's a strong extract-- huge dose with lots of coffee.

Edited by airplanepeanuts, 29 March 2014 - 09:54 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alzheimers, catecholamines, amyloid, mucuna pruriens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users