• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Standing reduces heart disease 54 pct, causes slimness (lipase chemistry effect)

standing cardiovascular heart lipoprotein lipase

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 treonsverdery

• 1,312 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

Standing up strongly reduces cardiovascular risk. it also causes slimness. The 54 pct risk reduction is actually similar to or above many food based effects. although I'm not standing up at the computer lab as I type this I noticed most of the computer labs have that opportunity. What if imminst longecity visitors started a trend of standing up while they write about well being?

This also brings up the idea that lipoprotein lipase gene variants may be longevity genes as some humans may have better versions. also what mediates this effect at quadrapeds? many many studies have been accomplished with nonhuman mammals, things that adjust their lipoprotein lipase activity could strongly adjust their responses.

Popular source paper URL http://www.fhealthya...389882133750652

found that people who sit for most of the day are 54 percent more likely to die of heart attacks.

That’s right—I said 54 percent.

Masters immediately called the lead researcher at Pennington, a professor named Peter Katzmarzyk. Turns out, this wasn’t the first study to link sitting and <a class="yiv1628172887hl-navLink" href="http://www.blogger.c...89&from=pencil" id="yiv1628172887hlnavlink_6" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">heart disease. Similar research actually dates back to 1953, when British researchers found that (sitting) bus drivers were twice as likely to die of heart attacks as (standing) trolley operators.

Here’s the most surprising part: “We
see it in people who smoke and people who don’t,” Katzmarzyk told Masters. “We see it in people who are regular exercisers and those who aren’t. Sitting is an independent risk factor.”

In other words, it doesn’t matter how much you exercise or how well you eat. If you sit most of the day, your risk of leaving this world clutching your chest—whether you’re a man or women—as much as doubles.

This raised a rather obvious question: Why? Truth is, the researchers aren’t sure. But Marc Hamilton, Ph.D., one of Katzmarkzyk’s colleagues, suspects it has to do with an enzyme called lipoprotein lipase (LPL), which breaks down fat in the bloodstream and turns it into energy. Hamilton found that standing rats have ten times more of the stuff coursing through their bodies than laying rats. It doesn’t matter how fit the rats are; when they leave their feet, their LPL levels plummet. Hamilton believes the same happens in humans.

Edited by treonsverdery, 05 April 2013 - 04:04 PM.

• Informative x 1

#2 YOLF

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

I'm down for a ban on chairs and a shift to ergonomic standing accoutrements.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

The 54 pct risk reduction....

...found that people who sit for most of the day are 54 percent more likely to die of heart attacks.

Just a note that your maths are off: If sitting increases risk by 54%, then not sitting reduces risk by 35% (namely 54/154 times 100).

#4 treonsverdery

• Topic Starter
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:02 PM

aha! much appreciated.

Attached File  Studio54_3.jpg   21.26KB   5 downloads

I will relate this to all the hip people at studio 46. Unless that seems like something better to avoid.

Edited by treonsverdery, 05 April 2013 - 11:08 PM.

#5 treonsverdery

• Topic Starter
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:44 PM

perhaps those craftmatic adjustable beds they advertise could measure the effectiveness of various settings as too lipoprotein lipase effect, then they could have a cardiobeneficial setting

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

Sitting increases mortality.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: standing, cardiovascular, heart, lipoprotein lipase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users